Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The real winner of tonight’s debate was Starmer & Labour – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    Incidentally, I don't think it's particularly wise of Truss to constantly slag off her comprehensive school, the one that enabled her to successfully get a place at Oxford, and by implication slagging off comprehensive schools in general.

Somebody may like to point out to her that the vast majority of people - around 90% I think - either went to a state school and/or send their kids to one. That figure includes rather a lot of Tory voters.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,776
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

BBC vox pop accuses Rishi of mansplaining

Though first two contributors thought Rishi destroyed Liz.
    Two sides of the same coin.
    Is it really mansplaining to point out your economic plans are fecking cuckoo land bonkers?
    Mansplaining is about how it is done.
    I know people are very big on clarity of perjorative terms, so other than subjective interpretation are there clear signs when someone is going from explaining to mansplaining? Especially given like any perjorative it might get overused.
    You need to ask yourself, was he more assertive and voluble because he was debating a woman?

If yes, the mansplaining charge has legs.

I'm unsure myself. I'd need to see him up against a male Truss as a control.
    Yes, but it would have to be an equally dim male.
    Truss cannot be quite as dim as she appears to be, after all she did get into Oxford from what she described as a failing comp.

It is hard to put a finger on quite why she comes across as dim. I think it is her intellectual rigidity and poor communication skills, but May had those faults too, and didn't come over as dim.
    Maybe it’s your inner misogynist?

She doesn’t strike me as at all dim. She seems bright, engaged and capable - and much warmer than May

What did she say that was ‘dim’?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053

Taz said:

I think that's an excellent point, Liz has the best chance of surprising and doing a very good job.

My gut - which was ultimately right about BoJo - says it won't happen

Given expectations for her as PM seem to be so low there is plenty of potential upside for her and she may well surprise us.
    But imagine if she is as terrible as that first debate suggested, once in Downing Street.

The pressure on Wallace would be immense.
    If she is we will be doing this all again in 12 months time
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

At least it raised their name recognition, Truss' in particular. Neither did too badly

Are you warming to Truss and the thought of a Truss premiership ?
    I will still vote Sunak but she worries me far less than she did a year ago
    Yes, that’s fair, and my view too (though only up to a point as her stated economic policies are ludicrous and she will encounter fierce resistance from the Rees-Mogg, Dorries, Francois, Baker fruit-cakes if she pivots back towards the centre as PM).
    Question is, what job is Liz going to offer Rishi? She can’t make him Chancellor, the only other job that isn’t a demotion is FS; if she offers him a junior role that’s as good as an insult.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

I am but a lowly voter, clearly no match for the intellectual titans who make up the Parliamentary Conservative Party, but I still genuinely have no idea what the strategy was for supporting Sunak.

We knew from the first YouGov poll that he lost every matchup, whether it was against Mordaunt, Badenoch or Tugendhat. My assumption was that MPs would understand there's a substantial anyone-but-Rishi vote and that it's non-ideological; somewhere between 30/40% was Sunak's ceiling, and the rest of the membership would back anyone to stop him.

So if you're an MP and you're backing Sunak in the first round of voting, you haven't seen the poll, fine, I get that. And I understand backing him when the field is crowded with Zahawi, Hunt, etc. But I cannot understand, after the second YouGov poll confirming that members have made their minds up and there's no viable path for Sunak to win over the membership, why MPs kept voting for him? Surely it is a suicide mission, handing the leadership to whoever is going against him? Unless you think Sunak can win over the membership despite starting at a massive disadvantage and against all logic or conventional wisdom - but as we've just seen, he can't?

I'm honestly not trolling - can anyone explain this to me?

They thought he was the best candidate, and presumed that given time in the contest he would persuade the members as he had persuaded them?

They wouldn't be MPs without a certain level of self confidence in their judgement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518

Have any other well known economists apart from Patrick Minford come out in support of Truss's plans? That's what is keeping me awake at night. Is this not quite similar to the moment George Bush accused Ronald Reagan of voodoo economics?

Borrowing to support the CoL is a reasonable thing to do to protect people, if you anticipate that the inflationary pressures will rapidly reverse shortly. That means a short war and sanctions lifted quickly. I just can't see that happening.

No way can tax cuts and deregulation financed by debt create the level of growth needed to balance the books in 3 years.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

At least 10,000 Tory members have signed the petition to get Boris on the ballot paper.

So somewhere between 5-10% of the membership? Sounds like it is getting way more attention than it deserves.
    Can’t anyone sign it?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,729

I am but a lowly voter, clearly no match for the intellectual titans who make up the Parliamentary Conservative Party, but I still genuinely have no idea what the strategy was for supporting Sunak.

We knew from the first YouGov poll that he lost every matchup, whether it was against Mordaunt, Badenoch or Tugendhat. My assumption was that MPs would understand there's a substantial anyone-but-Rishi vote and that it's non-ideological; somewhere between 30/40% was Sunak's ceiling, and the rest of the membership would back anyone to stop him.

So if you're an MP and you're backing Sunak in the first round of voting, you haven't seen the poll, fine, I get that. And I understand backing him when the field is crowded with Zahawi, Hunt, etc. But I cannot understand, after the second YouGov poll confirming that members have made their minds up and there's no viable path for Sunak to win over the membership, why MPs kept voting for him? Surely it is a suicide mission, handing the leadership to whoever is going against him? Unless you think Sunak can win over the membership despite starting at a massive disadvantage and against all logic or conventional wisdom - but as we've just seen, he can't?

You’re far more intelligent than the average Tory MP and they should have seen the writing on the wall and acted . The Daily Hate realized the danger for Truss if Mordaunt had gone through and so tried to destroy her campaign and had useful idiots in many Tory MPs who just sat there as Sunak sunk with the membership .
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    DavidL said:

Time allowed for discussion of climate crisis: 1m56
    Time allowed for earrings, suits, etc etc: 5m45

https://twitter.com/archiebland/status/1551675116022644736

That really was ridiculous and both candidates in fairness said so.
    But the BBC thought it was one of the three most important things in the debate, at least according to the push notification (reposted from the end of the last thread):

I have a theory that the BBC News push notification might already be, or in any case will soon become, the single most important thing in news media.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Is it really mansplaining to point out your economic plans are fecking cuckoo land bonkers?
    I know people are very big on clarity of perjorative terms, so other than subjective interpretation are there clear signs when someone is going from explaining to mansplaining? Especially given like any perjorative it might get overused.
    You need to ask yourself, was he more assertive and voluble because he was debating a woman?

Truss cannot be quite as dim as she appears to be, after all she did get into Oxford from what she described as a failing comp.

It is hard to put a finger on quite why she comes across as dim. I think it is her intellectual rigidity and poor communication skills, but May had those faults too, and didn't come over as dim.

She doesn’t strike me as at all dim. She seems bright, engaged and capable - and much warmer than May

It wasn't me that said she was dim. I did say that she cannot be as dim as she appears to be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

At least it raised their name recognition, Truss' in particular. Neither did too badly

Yes, that’s fair, and my view too (though only up to a point as her stated economic policies are ludicrous and she will encounter fierce resistance from the Rees-Mogg, Dorries, Francois, Baker fruit-cakes if she pivots back towards the centre as PM).
    Question is, what job is Liz going to offer Rishi? She can’t make him Chancellor, the only other job that isn’t a demotion is FS; if she offers him a junior role that’s as good as an insult.
    FS would actually suit him well, and he’d be sensible to take it. If the Tories lose in 2024 he’d then be ideally placed to take over as leader, and maybe become PM in 2028 - him or Kemi B
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited July 2022

Did you watch the debate?

The first ten minutes was spent on CoL and Truss had plans - an immediate reversal of National Insurance and suspending the green levy on electricity were both mentioned. Specific policies that can be introduced.

The first is an untargeted and therefore not particularly effect way of addressing the particular issue of rising fuel bills, although reducing NI might be a good thing to do in its own terms. "Green levies" are a way of driving desirable behaviours, including getting the UK off dependency on imported and currently short and expensive fossil fuels. If you remove them fuel bills will rise by almost as much as the "green levies" you save.

TBF I don't think Labour have a good response on CoL either, but maybe a bit better than Truss.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

It wasn't me that said she was dim. I did say that she cannot be as dim as she appears to be.

“It is hard to put a finger on quite why she comes across as dim”

Is what you said. So what did she do or say that comes across as ‘dim’?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Jonathan said:
    Kim Campbell gets unfairly traduced. She isn't my politics, but was thrown not a hospital pass, but a morgue one by Mulroney.
    She's been relatively useful post her disaster too. Which is to her credit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

FS would actually suit him well, and he’d be sensible to take it. If the Tories lose in 2024 he’d then be ideally placed to take over as leader, and maybe become PM in 2028 - him or Kemi B
    He'd be a dreadful fit for FS, he's shown no leadership or backbone over Ukraine.

Home Secretary it would have to be in my eyes. Still a Great Office of State, but not FS or CoE. Get rid of the Patel etc too.
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    kle4 said:

They thought he was the best candidate, and presumed that given time in the contest he would persuade the members as he had persuaded them?

They wouldn't be MPs without a certain level of self confidence in their judgement.
    I appreciate that they might like him, and think he could convince the membership, but I don't understand what the plan was to actually do that? As far as I can tell, it mostly consists of sending Sunak onto national TV so he can create new attack lines for Labour to throw at the likely next Prime Minister: was that the strategy? It is incomprehensible to me why they took this path instead of trying to colonise the campaigns of Mordaunt or Badenoch, who actually did stood a chance with the membership.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,091

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

At 9pm Mrs Al had a strong preference for Sunak if we must have a Tory PM. By 10pm she had a strong preference for Truss if we must have a Tory PM. Simply because of Sunak's behaviour; his constant interruptions and talking over Truss in the first 20 minutes. Public school, sexist arrogance according to Mrs Al. Not that she has any say, of course.
    My wife also preferred Truss in the debate but continues to think Sunak brighter and more competent.

So that's the wives gogglebox on this.

Mine still likes Jeremy btw.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

If Sunak had got 200+ votes in the final round, he might well be favourite right now. The members aren't voting in a vacuum; some of them at least would take note of results from the MPs ballots. Sunak probably didn't win by enough to swing many people's votes, though.

Also, be very wary of interpreting voodoo polls of Tory members - the more vocal and easy-to-find ones aren't necessarily representative of the whole. Sunak is more competitive than you might think.

He'll still lose, though. Unless something big drops in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The first ten minutes was spent on CoL and Truss had plans - an immediate reversal of National Insurance and suspending the green levy on electricity were both mentioned. Specific policies that can be introduced.

The first is an untargeted and therefore not particularly effect way of addressing the particular issue of rising fuel bills, although reducing NI might be a good thing to do in its own terms. "Green levies" are a way of driving desirable behaviours, including getting the UK off dependency on imported and currently short and expensive fossil fuels. If you remove them fuel bills will rise by almost as much as the "green levies" you save.

TBF I don't think Labour have a good response on CoL either, but maybe a bit better than Truss.

Green levies work over a long term to push people off what you're levying but a suspension now is entirely logical. The fuel bills won't rise by that amount extra because the fuel is a global commodity price, it would be a real price cut (relative to not acting) while still encouraging people to be green because the price is so extremely high.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,154
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

FO is sub-optimal for a young family though.

• Options
    Endillion said:

If Sunak had got 200+ votes in the final round, he might well be favourite right now. The members aren't voting in a vacuum; some of them at least would take note of results from the MPs ballots. Sunak probably didn't win by enough to swing many people's votes, though.

Also, be very wary of interpreting voodoo polls of Tory members - the more vocal and easy-to-find ones aren't necessarily representative of the whole. Sunak is more competitive than you might think.

He'll still lose, though. Unless something big drops in the next few weeks.
    Like it

‘Something big drops’

I understand the drops are big in Helsinki
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

At least 10,000 Tory members have signed the petition to get Boris on the ballot paper.

So somewhere between 5-10% of the membership? Sounds like it is getting way more attention than it deserves.
    Can’t anyone sign it?
    No, only Tory members.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

At 9pm Mrs Al had a strong preference for Sunak if we must have a Tory PM. By 10pm she had a strong preference for Truss if we must have a Tory PM. Simply because of Sunak's behaviour; his constant interruptions and talking over Truss in the first 20 minutes. Public school, sexist arrogance according to Mrs Al. Not that she has any say, of course.
    My wife also preferred Truss in the debate but continues to think Sunak brighter and more competent.

So that's the wives gogglebox on this.

Mine still likes Jeremy btw.
    Er, Hunt or Corbyn? Maybe even Thorpe?
  • Options

There were 2 paths for Sunak.

1: MPs backed him by such a considerable margin it puts pressure on Members to do the same. Many members would follow MP's leads. This didn't happen.

2: Sunak was virtually guaranteed a top 2 spot and if the MPs other choice self-destructed then that would leave him the winner.

Number 2 nearly happened but Mordaunt self-destructed too soon allowing Truss to come through. Had Mordaunt pipped out Truss then I think there'd have been a much greater chance of Sunak defeating Mordaunt.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

The vacuity and economic illiteracy of her arguments.

Either she is dim and doesn't understand, or she is a calculating liar and does understand, and believes that the ends justifies the means to put herself in Number 10.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

There is a liquid market and if you are 100% sure it is Truss, you should pile in.
  • Options

Incidentally, I don't think it's particularly wise of Truss to constantly slag off her comprehensive school, the one that enabled her to successfully get a place at Oxford, and by implication slagging off comprehensive schools in general.

Somebody may like to point out to her that the vast majority of people - around 90% I think - either went to a state school and/or send their kids to one. That figure includes rather a lot of Tory voters.

On those lines there was an interesting piece by Richard Quest (CNN, ex-BBC) about his time in same school in mid 70s (I think a few years before her). Nightmare "experiment" was his summary as two small grammar schools were combined and then the catchment area massively widen and the whole thing made a comp with 350 in each year.

Teachers used to wander around saying "help, it wasn't like this in the old days" with no idea how to manage the bullying and violence.

He failed all his o levels.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Either she is dim and doesn't understand, or she is a calculating liar and does understand, and believes that the ends justifies the means to put herself in Number 10.
    Her arguments are sound and neither vacuous nor illiterate.

That you disagree with them is politics, it doesn't make her dim.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

He will not be in Cabinet under Truss, but rather the backbenches, a bit like Hunt did when he lost.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:
    Kim Campbell gets unfairly traduced. She isn't my politics, but was thrown not a hospital pass, but a morgue one by Mulroney.
    Final poll before Mulroney announced he would resign his office had the Progressive Conservatives on 21%, under Campbell on election day they ended up with 16%. So would still have been better off sticking with Mulroney
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1993_Canadian_federal_election

She was also the last Progressive Conservative PM, today's Conservative Party of Canada is a combination of the 2003 merger of the PCs and the Canadian Alliance/Reform Party, the equivalent of a merger between the UK Conservatives and Farage's RefUK today
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I don't think Truss is dim. She's definitely a careerist who will at one moment say white is black and the next that black is white without blinking an eye. Question is whether she can be both careerist and batshit at the same time. I suspect she can...

Sunak is a bit more consistent.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I think it's obviously the second of those?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Fair enough. Can you cite one of these vacuous and ‘illiterate’ arguments?

I watched the debate closely - I’m genuinely undecided. I did not hear any such howlers (from either side)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Maybe not an unpopular view…

I suspect this is unpopular view. I don't think Sunak's style will go down well among Con members. Interrupting & combative OK for GE, not Con members. Truss better than expected. Calm, good comebacks, open about flaws, loyal to Johnson. Will go down well in Tory Land #debate

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1551672858383884289
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Here’s an interesting thought, you could imagine Sunak leading the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

He will not be in Cabinet under Truss, but rather the backbenches, a bit like Hunt did when he lost.
    And how did that turn out? Hunt is now history

Sunak is still young and ambitious. If he takes a top job he’s still in there, with an exciting career. And the potential to move up
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Truss actually was a LD
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Have any other well known economists apart from Patrick Minford come out in support of Truss's plans? That's what is keeping me awake at night. Is this not quite similar to the moment George Bush accused Ronald Reagan of voodoo economics?

Borrowing to support the CoL is a reasonable thing to do to protect people, if you anticipate that the inflationary pressures will rapidly reverse shortly. That means a short war and sanctions lifted quickly. I just can't see that happening.

No way can tax cuts and deregulation financed by debt create the level of growth needed to balance the books in 3 years.
    Borrowing to support CoL measures is. I think, fine, maybe necessary. But you do need to have the CoL measures - not seeing those.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:
    Final poll before Mulroney announced he would resign his office had the Progressive Conservatives on 21%, under Campbell on election day they ended up with 16%. So would still have been better off sticking with Mulroney
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1993_Canadian_federal_election

She was also the last Progressive Conservative PM, today's Conservative Party of Canada is a combination of the 2003 merger of the PCs and the Canadian Alliance/Reform Party, the equivalent of a merger between the UK Conservatives and Farage's RefUK today
    What a remarkable series of polls in that parliament.
  • Options
    "Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    Can someone tell @RishiSunak to stop interrupting @trussliz? She hasn't been able to finish a sentence."

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1551661309162409986
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I watched the debate closely - I’m genuinely undecided. I did not hear any such howlers (from either side)
    She seems to believe that borrowing for tax cuts is not inflationary, nor will it drive up interest rates.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak is still young and ambitious. If he takes a top job he’s still in there, with an exciting career. And the potential to move up
    He will go off in a huff and form a new career in media or abroad like Portillo or David Miliband, 2 other Crown Prince heir apparents rejected for the leadership by their own party
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I don't think Truss is dim. She's definitely a careerist who will at one moment say white is black and the next that black is white without blinking an eye. Question is whether she can be both careerist and batshit at the same time. I suspect she can...

Sunak is a bit more consistent.
    I wouldn't vote for either of them, but with Sunak you do have a fair idea of what sort of programme he would run. Truss is the pig in the poke.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,436
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Personally I’m not sure she comes across as dim per se. I think she suffers from a lack of fluidity in speech: anyone can suffer from this including intelligent people - you can have a good mind but find it hard to connect the dots in a way that you can speak dynamically. It can make you come across as tentative and lacking in confidence and I could see how that could also be interpreted as a lack of intelligence in some people.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440
    edited July 2022
    The transcontinental bike race started yesterday. 3-4000km across Europe. Completely unsupported with riders paying for everything they use food/accommodation etc. The frontrunners are sleeping in hedge-bags and eating everything in their way!

I enjoy the dot watching. The unique paths planned between the 6 checkpoints and the schadenfreude of someone cycling across a continent in a week whilst sleeping in bus stops and shitting in bushes.

https://www.transcontinental.cc/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

He will go off in a huff and form a new career in media or abroad like Portillo or David Miliband, 2 other Crown Prince heir apparents rejected for the leadership by their own party
    Will he? He seems to enjoy politics and a top Cabinet post must be fun. Constantly interesting with lots of status. The Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom!

What other job matches that? And recall he already has all the money he needs - and more
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Taz said:

Taz said:

I think that's an excellent point, Liz has the best chance of surprising and doing a very good job.

Given expectations for her as PM seem to be so low there is plenty of potential upside for her and she may well surprise us.
    But imagine if she is as terrible as that first debate suggested, once in Downing Street.

The pressure on Wallace would be immense.
    If she is we will be doing this all again in 12 months time
    No, I think it would be a Wallace coronation.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,353

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Oh HY :( Why can't you ever just stick by anything
    He does - the Tory party, and whomever happens to be leading it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

She seems to believe that borrowing for tax cuts is not inflationary, nor will it drive up interest rates.
    I felt she defended that contentious point quite well. Didn’t see ‘dimness’
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Has Rory Stewart joined the Labour party?

@RoryStewartUK
    And again Liz Truss keeps saying Levelling up and recession is personal to her because she experienced the pain or the 1980s and 90s in Paisley and Leeds. But somehow she doesn’t seem to be mentioning that was a period of conservative government.

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1551666286668795904
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Not necessarily alternatives. Truss definitely is "a calculating liar" (liar is not quite the term I would use because we have had Johnson and she is better than him in that respect), but is she also a blind ideologue? Open question.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Yes, it's cynicism not stupidity. My money would be strongly on that.

Hence Sunak's palpable contempt for her which was probably not to his benefit in a TV debate.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

It seems hypocritical for people who opposed George Osborne's austerity policies on the basis that the national debt wasn't the priority to call Liz Truss economically illiterate for saying the same thing.
  • Options

@RoryStewartUK
    And again Liz Truss keeps saying Levelling up and recession is personal to her because she experienced the pain or the 1980s and 90s in Paisley and Leeds. But somehow she doesn’t seem to be mentioning that was a period of conservative government.

Her Dad was a tenured maths academic. How did she experience the pain of recession precisely?

• Options
    edited July 2022

@RoryStewartUK

For all their constant references to the Eighties, surely neither could usefully remember them and analyse them. Sunak wasn't even born when Thatcher moved into number 10. He was in nappies when inflation was being squeezed out by her monetarist policy. Truss was 4 when Thatcher was elected, perhaps starting primary school at the height of the battle with inflation.

They may well have read of what went on, but neither are credible primary witnesses of what went on, good or bad.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Her arguments are sound and neither vacuous nor illiterate.

That you disagree with them is politics, it doesn't make her dim.
    It's not sound to claim fiscal loosening is deflationary. It's a lie.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

I think you’re right. There’s weirdly a potential upside to Truss - I think it’s unlikely and will go the same way as May and Brown (but worse) but you could at least see the argument for rolling the dice with her, whereas Sunak is a known quantity.
    I can totally see why the Tories are going for Truss.

I just don’t think she’s any more charismatic than Starmer, that’s all
    I don't think she's more charismatic than Starmer.

I think she's leaps ahead in tackling the issues and having ideas, as is Sunak..

How well or badly you think her ideas might go is up for political debate, but there is real substance there. What real substance from Keir's leadership debate is there that points to a policy a PM Keir might introduce?
    So how is Liz going to to sort out CoL

Student debt

The environment

What are her policies on the above

Student debt never came up.

Environment mentioned technology etc which is the right answer.
    Right now, the Green Levy involves buying solar and wind power on existing (already signed) contracts that are below market rates. If you get rid of the levy, you don't get rid of the purchase agreements. And of course, as the contracts are at below market prices, you wouldn't want to get rid of the actual contracts.

Ms Truss is correct that buying solar and wind should not be a separate part of the bill. But I think it's a little misleading not to acknowledge that removing the green levy does not remove the cost of buying the power. (And the need to charge consumers for it.)
  • Options
    In general, I think people under-estimate how much fun you must have as a very senior politician. We all say ‘oh god who would want the scrutiny, pressure and hassle’ and fair enough, but if you can cope with that - or even thrive on it - then being a senior minister or PM must be a blast

Thatch describes it well in her memoirs. Finding the job consistently absorbing, compelling, surprising - surrounded by brilliant people and remarkable events - plus you get all the status. Big country house. Police everywhere. Lots of groveling

What matches that? Portillo doing trains for the Beeb? Miliband doing refugees in NYC? I just don’t see it. Only if you are finished or need the money would you accept the lesser job. Sunak is neither finished nor impoverished
  • Options
    Help me out guys: when I go onto YouTube later, at what time was the discussion of our new alien overlords and how we're going to deal with them?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I must admit I was amazed that she actually managed to tell a couple of jokes this evening - and they didn’t land appallingly.

I felt a bit guilty thinking that.
  • Options
    eek said:

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

Borrowing to support CoL measures is. I think, fine, maybe necessary. But you do need to have the CoL measures - not seeing those.
    We aren’t borrowing to ensure people in fuel poverty don’t freeze to death

We are borrowing so corporation can pay more out in dividends and so that people earning £30,000 more get a bit more to spend.

It’s utterly insane
    I couldn't agree more. Things are getting difficult for normal people - we can't avoid it. But spending a bit of money so vulnerable people are not tipped into outright poverty is humane, sensible and obvious. Why aren't we prioritising on that?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I don't think so because economically he is v dry.

He is the Thatcherite economics guy not Truss. But unbelievably, and thanks partly to Dacre and co, the members seem to think she is the dry one.

She's gonna spend money we don't have like a sailor on shore leave. Now it is a perfectly respectable economic position to spend money we don't have now using money from the future via debts but it aint exactly Thatcher.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

It seems hypocritical for people who opposed George Osborne's austerity policies on the basis that the national debt wasn't the priority to call Liz Truss economically illiterate for saying the same thing.
    I didn't oppose Osborne's austerity. I was very pro-coalition. I think that it should have been slowly relaxed after 2015, but supported it on here at the time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    Can someone tell @RishiSunak to stop interrupting @trussliz? She hasn't been able to finish a sentence."

Didn't this happen with Trump and Clinton?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I felt she defended that contentious point quite well. Didn’t see ‘dimness’
    Because of your own, I fear.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Personally I’m not sure she comes across as dim per se. I think she suffers from a lack of fluidity in speech: anyone can suffer from this including intelligent people - you can have a good mind but find it hard to connect the dots in a way that you can speak dynamically. It can make you come across as tentative and lacking in confidence and I could see how that could also be interpreted as a lack of intelligence in some people.
    No offence, but if this is the case what the feck is she doing at the very front line of politics?

Strikes me that Chief to the Treasury was an ideal position and everything else has been classic Peter principle.

• Options
    Leon said:

In general, I think people under-estimate how much fun you must have as a very senior politician. We all say ‘oh god who would want the scrutiny, pressure and hassle’ and fair enough, but if you can cope with that - or even thrive on it - then being a senior minister or PM must be a blast

Thatch describes it well in her memoirs. Finding the job consistently absorbing, compelling, surprising - surrounded by brilliant people and remarkable events - plus you get all the status. Big country house. Police everywhere. Lots of groveling

What matches that? Portillo doing trains for the Beeb? Miliband doing refugees in NYC? I just don’t see it. Only if you are finished or need the money would you accept the lesser job. Sunak is neither finished nor impoverished

Wait: I thought you were surrounded by civil servants.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1

Didn't this happen with Trump and Clinton?
    At least Sunak didn't threaten to put her in jail.
  • Options
    Market agrees with PB consensus on the debate anyway.

Shouty Sunak out to 4.
  • Options
    I said a couple of days ago that if Sunak hit 4 I would go back in despite being comfortably green on both.

He's at 4

And I am topping up.

• Options
    I want Truss to win just to annoy Matthew Parris
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Help me out guys: when I go onto YouTube later, at what time was the discussion of our new alien overlords and how we're going to deal with them?

It came shortly before the bit on Dalle 2, and after their discussion of the lab leak theory of Covid.
  • Options
    I wonder if Sunak declining to give Truss any advice at the end was a kind of concession of defeat. He's already playing for second and trying to defend his record as Chancellor with dignity.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

No offence, but if this is the case what the feck is she doing at the very front line of politics?

Strikes me that Chief to the Treasury was an ideal position and everything else has been classic Peter principle.

Completely agree with you - I’ve said before she strikes me as a policy wonk not a frontline (and certainly not a senior) politician. But here we are.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

It came shortly before the bit on Dalle 2, and after their discussion of the lab leak theory of Covid.
    I’m glad that my personality dominates the Tory leadership campaign in the same way it hegemonises PB
  • Options

I said a couple of days ago that if Sunak hit 4 I would go back in despite being comfortably green on both.

He's at 4

And I am topping up.

I wouldn't touch it at any price at the moment. It is catching a falling knife.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Sadly for Sunak, Parris seems to represent a type of Tory that is no longer very common in the new semi-GOP version of the party.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

I didn't oppose Osborne's austerity. I was very pro-coalition. I think that it should have been slowly relaxed after 2015, but supported it on here at the time.
    I was pro austerity too but not of the Osborne variety. Too skewed at those who could least afford it.
  • Options

I wonder if Sunak declining to give Truss any advice at the end was a kind of concession of defeat. He's already playing for second and trying to defend his record as Chancellor with dignity.

Yes. Felt that way to me, too. Which is why I think he MIGHT take a senior job in her Cabinet
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Sadly for Sunak, Parris seems to represent a type of Tory that is no longer very common in the new semi-GOP version of the party.

Didn't Sunak win the MP ballot? At least a third of the party must support him, and many of the rest are just scratching an itch for perceived change after their experience of Johnson.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Completely agree with you - I’ve said before she strikes me as a policy wonk not a frontline (and certainly not a senior) politician. But here we are.
    How on earth have the Tories got themselves into this mess?

She'll be a disaster and about as popular on the swing vote doorsteps as a covid variant.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Parris’ tearful, effeminate huff after Brexit was Soubry-esque in its ridiculous self-importance. Get tae fuck
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

How on earth have the Tories got themselves into this mess?

She'll be a disaster and about as popular on the swing vote doorsteps as a covid variant.

And yet, the first polls say completely the opposite
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes. Felt that way to me, too. Which is why I think he MIGHT take a senior job in her Cabinet
    Doubt she will offer one. She doesn't strike me as a cabinet of all the talents person.

But he would be wise to hang around until next summer and the next leadership contest.

• Options
    Foxy said:

He's at 4

And I am topping up.

I wouldn't touch it at any price at the moment. It is catching a falling knife.
    There's water yet to go under the bridge.

Who knows. I just think for me 4 represents the value line.

• Options
    Leon said:

Terrible toll on family though.

And at the very top you are basically signing up to having police armed protection within yards for the rest of your days.

• Options
    Foxy said:

@RoryStewartUK

For all their constant references to the Eighties, surely neither could usefully remember them and analyse them. Sunak wasn't even born when Thatcher moved into number 10. He was in nappies when inflation was being squeezed out by her monetarist policy. Truss was 4 when Thatcher was elected, perhaps starting primary school at the height of the battle with inflation.

They may well have read of what went on, but neither are credible primary witnesses of what went on, good or bad.
    Which is probably why she as absolutely no idea what Thatcher actually stood for economically.

• Options
    I don't quite understand why another six weeks are required - it can't just be the time taken to send and retrieve ballots?
  • Options
    EPG said:

I don't quite understand why another six weeks are required - it can't just be the time taken to send and retrieve ballots?

Because the shit-show of hustings between this pair has to be toured to all corners of the land.....
  • Options

@RoryStewartUK

It's even worse than Rory says as a comment since the 1980s and early 1990s were not just a conservative government - it was a Thatcher/Lawson government which is the one she claims to worship and emulate the most (followed by mini-thatcher economics of Major/Clarke at the tail end).

• Options

Leon said:

Terrible toll on family though.

And at the very top you are basically signing up to having police armed protection within yards for the rest of your days.

Plus there's a chance your bodyguard has an affair with your wife.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Parris’ tearful, effeminate huff after Brexit was Soubry-esque in its ridiculous self-importance. Get tae fuck
    He may even have contributed to Brexit with his infamous article about Clacton and places like it, published on 6th September 2014.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-should-turn-their-backs-on-clacton-j0k5h6zld08
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

In his defence he wrote that Johnson was a total lying wrong-un about a zillion years ago in the Spectator and has been utterly vindicated by events.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    EPG said:

The Commons isn't back until September.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

I want Truss to win just to annoy Matthew Parris

And also - for the entirely theoretical notion - of witnessing the Mail's moral dilemma if it should have helped put Betty Whiplash into Downing Street.

Also makes for an interesting dilemma for other newspapers sitting on this theoretical story - do they go early and crash the candidacy? Or wait to see if they can bring down a sitting PM?
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

In his defence he wrote that Johnson was a total lying wrong-un about a zillion years ago in the Spectator and has been utterly vindicated by events.

No, he hasn’t. Boris was a brilliant PM brought low by his own stupid flaws

Parris is simply a snob that writes well
  • Options
    Driver said:

EPG said:

The Commons isn't back until September.
    I don't understand the relevance. The new leader could be in place by mid-August if it's just a postal service concern, then call an election on day one, no Commons required.
This discussion has been closed.