Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Whoever wins it is going to be difficult for CON to stay in power – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481

I've just got a mechanical keyboard. I've never used one before, not sure how I feel about it.

Don't plug it in. Just use it to type noisily on Zoom calls.
    That depends on the switches you use.

I've just updated mine to reflect very annoying habits - so the keyboard is now a random set of yellow or black keycaps and the switches range from silent Cherry MX red switches on letters and numbers to rather noisy Cherry Blue on the space and return keys...

I think I've spent about £200 on it so far but it is rather nice to type on...

And yes it is designed to trigger people....
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157

Trigger warning for @Nigel_Foremain

It is just unthinkable to me there is yet to parliamentary inquiry in Germany into the past errors on energy policy, the Schröder Kreis, the cause of the errors, the corruption networks, foreign influence, etc. unthinkable in any developed democracy

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1547242149519015937

I am not being facetious, we need Germany to sign a memorandum committing to profound changes in its energy but also economic model. I don’t know anyone who thinks Germany will do it motu proprio

2014: Russia starts its invasion and occupation of Ukraine
    2015: Nord Stream 2 signed

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1550488530379481092

Do you get it from a website called something like xenophobia.com? where only negative stories about the hated furriners can be found? I know there is one rather unintelligent poster (the one often apt to posting laughable porkies) who claims you, like him (snigger) have bene on a "journey", but seriously, what happened to turn you from one extreme of the most Europhile of Europhiles to a frothing swivel eyed Europhobe who gets his kicks from posting negative stories about our erstwhile partners?

There are journeys and there are ludicrous lurches. There are gradual movements or evolution from one position to another. But then there is yours. It is like akin to John Mcdonnell waking up one day and switching to the Tories and joining the ERG. Actually even that is not extreme enough to be analogous. As I have said before, I can only imagine someone else has nicked the account that once belonged to @williamglenn Where have you put him please?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    edited July 2022
    NYT ($) - Through It All, Staten Island Cricket Endures
    Marking its 150th year, a club is still a treasured pastime for New Yorkers from Totten Hill to Kolkata.

SSI - Current president of Staten Island Cricket Club, Clarence Modeste, age 92, joined in 1961 after arriving in NYC from Trinidad & Tobago. Another member, Will Teague, age 60, a native of Staten Island, who got interested in the game after watching a British TV show where it was mentioned. "He found the nearest club and asked to join and learn. That was in April. Three months later he fields sporadically, but hopes to bat next year."

"Chris Sargeant, a financier from London, flew to New York last week specifically for the event [150th anniversary]. He had lived in New York from 2002 until 2007 and had joined the club for the same reasons his British forebearers formed it in the 19th century: a love of cricket.

But he also cherished the [Staten Island-lower Manhattan] ferry and bus rides out of the bustle of the city and into the relative tranquility of Walker Park, where all the tension and worry of city life seemed to melt away under the languorous pace and familiar thwacks of willow on leather. He took the same route Saturday.

'I was not going to miss this," he said. What you find here is a very special bond.'"

Here is link to the club's website:
    https://www.statenislandcc.org/

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    Sam Freedman on Liz Truss:

But she is chaotic and eccentric, with a manic energy. She grabs hold of random ideas and forces everyone around her to spend inordinate amounts of time talking her out of them. Everyone, from officials to the other Ministers, found her difficult to work with.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,706

MattW said:

RobD said:

"“The energy price cap could go above £4,000, if you can get gas at all. I don’t think the Government yet realises this,” said a member of an industrial group that has presented an emergency plan to ministers."

Are there statistics on how many people/households hit the cap?
    Basically all of them, I thought ?
    Why would it be all of them?

Because the cap is not a cap on the absolute amount anyone pays, it's a cap on the rate that can be charged per unit consumed and on the standing charge.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

Some people are still on fixed tariffs that are below the cap, but over 70% of households are on default variable tariffs that are subject to the cap.
    I'm not sure the standing charges are capped. They seem to contain the premium for all the previous companies that went belly-up. If they are capped, then according to my last bill it's ridiculously high!
    Sam Freedman on Rishi Sunak:

The former Chancellor is not a man of hidden depths. I have never worked with him but I know people who have and he is how he comes across: a well educated, numerate, polite, well presented man, with limited political skill or imagination. He is the Goldman Sachs analyst he was trained to be.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,368

It is just unthinkable to me there is yet to parliamentary inquiry in Germany into the past errors on energy policy, the Schröder Kreis, the cause of the errors, the corruption networks, foreign influence, etc. unthinkable in any developed democracy

I am not being facetious, we need Germany to sign a memorandum committing to profound changes in its energy but also economic model. I don’t know anyone who thinks Germany will do it motu proprio

Do you get it from a website called something like xenophobia.com? where only negative stories about the hated furriners can be found? I know there is one rather unintelligent poster (the one often apt to posting laughable porkies) who claims you, like him (snigger) have bene on a "journey", but seriously, what happened to turn you from one extreme of the most Europhile of Europhiles to a frothing swivel eyed Europhobe who gets his kicks from posting negative stories about our erstwhile partners?

There are journeys and there are ludicrous lurches. There are gradual movements or evolution from one position to another. But then there is yours. It is like akin to John Mcdonnell waking up one day and switching to the Tories and joining the ERG. Actually even that is not extreme enough to be analogous. As I have said before, I can only imagine someone else has nicked the account that once belonged to @williamglenn Where have you put him please?
    Almost everyone agrees that Germany has made a very serious mistake by making itself so reliant on Russian energy.

I've just got a mechanical keyboard. I've never used one before, not sure how I feel about it.

Does a laptop keyboard count as a mechanical keyboard?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

The former Chancellor is not a man of hidden depths. I have never worked with him but I know people who have and he is how he comes across: a well educated, numerate, polite, well presented man, with limited political skill or imagination. He is the Goldman Sachs analyst he was trained to be.

Yes, the more he is analysed the more insubstantial he appears. A pleasant technocrat, devoid of ideas, and with no hard-scrabble life experiences, either

Truss is the better bet. She will probably lose, but Sunak would surely lose
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

His description of Truss, that you quoted below, is a lot more damning, though.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Marking its 150th year, a club is still a treasured pastime for New Yorkers from Totten Hill to Kolkata.

SSI - Current president of Staten Island Cricket Club, Clarence Modeste, age 92, joined in 1961 after arriving in NYC from Trinidad & Tobago. Another member, Will Teague, age 60, a native of Staten Island, who got interested in the game after watching a British TV show where it was mentioned. "He found the nearest club and asked to join and learn. That was in April. Three months later he fields sporadically, but hopes to bat next year."

"Chris Sargeant, a financier from London, flew to New York last week specifically for the event [150th anniversary]. He had lived in New York from 2002 until 2007 and had joined the club for the same reasons his British forebearers formed it in the 19th century: a love of cricket.

But he also cherished the [Staten Island-lower Manhattan] ferry and bus rides out of the bustle of the city and into the relative tranquility of Walker Park, where all the tension and worry of city life seemed to melt away under the languorous pace and familiar thwacks of willow on leather. He took the same route Saturday.

'I was not going to miss this," he said. What you find here is a very special bond.'"

The...er....'wicket' looks like it probably does a bit...

One think they could do with is a proper groundsman!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    Boris is telling aides that he’ll be PM again within a year.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1550499753913458690?s=20&t=a38Q91r2WI10gqL2N9TjRA
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

His description of Truss, that you quoted below, is a lot more damning, though.
    That rather depends on the opinion you hold of the other ministers and officials that tried to talk her out of things.
    Italian general election called for 25th September.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Italian_general_election
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Yes, the more he is analysed the more insubstantial he appears. A pleasant technocrat, devoid of ideas, and with no hard-scrabble life experiences, either

He pretty much much says the same thing, but “if forced” chooses Sunak as “safe”.

Edit: He also note that Sunak appears to have no policy interests beyond fiscal conservatism.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

But she is chaotic and eccentric, with a manic energy. She grabs hold of random ideas and forces everyone around her to spend inordinate amounts of time talking her out of them. Everyone, from officials to the other Ministers, found her difficult to work with.

Like his colleague Mr Cummings, Mr Freedman doesn't really do self-awareness, does he?

Although in fairness I never knew him be talked out of any of his random stupid ideas.
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1550499753913458690?s=20&t=a38Q91r2WI10gqL2N9TjRA

Not impossible if the new leader takes the Tories to new lows in the opinion polls.
    HYUFD said:

This is why the next PM is going to have to remove the whip.

It will be easier for Truss to do it - in sorrow more than anger - because Rishi is going to faced with allegations of being a sell-out traitor from Day 1.
    HYUFD said:

He is deluded> he is the pound shop Trump
  • MattW said:

RobD said:

"“The energy price cap could go above £4,000, if you can get gas at all. I don’t think the Government yet realises this,” said a member of an industrial group that has presented an emergency plan to ministers."

Are there statistics on how many people/households hit the cap?
    Basically all of them, I thought ?
    Why would it be all of them?

Because the cap is not a cap on the absolute amount anyone pays, it's a cap on the rate that can be charged per unit consumed and on the standing charge.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

Some people are still on fixed tariffs that are below the cap, but over 70% of households are on default variable tariffs that are subject to the cap.
    I'm not sure the standing charges are capped. They seem to contain the premium for all the previous companies that went belly-up. If they are capped, then according to my last bill it's ridiculously high!
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the cap is not ridiculously high :)
    ydoethur said:

Like his colleague Mr Cummings, Mr Freedman doesn't really do self-awareness, does he?

Although in fairness I never knew him be talked out of any of his random stupid ideas.
    He seems relatively reasonable in his various writings, unlike say Cummings.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

It will be easier for Truss to do it - in sorrow more than anger - because Rishi is going to faced with allegations of being a sell-out traitor from Day 1.
    If I was to guess though, I’d assume he’ll give up this seat to dodge the investigation etc. and his plan (if he has one) is to return via a safe seat when he’s called for as the party’s saviour.

ydoethur said:

He seems relatively reasonable in his various writings, unlike say Cummings.
    Being relatively reasonable compared to Cummings is not a great feat.
    Andy_JS said:

Almost everyone agrees that Germany has made a very serious mistake by making itself so reliant on Russian energy.
    Of course, but that is not the point. @williamglenn posts a gloating negative story about the EU or one of the EU countries with monotonous regularity. This would not be so ludicrous if it were not for the fact that only a short time ago he was more Europhile than Leon Brittan.
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

If I was to guess though, I’d assume he’ll give up this seat to dodge the investigation etc. and his plan (if he has one) is to return via a safe seat when he’s called for as the party’s saviour.

At this moment, there are no seats the Tories can consider truly safe. So unless they become more popular, in which case they will not need a 'saviour,' that wouldn't work.
    There is a lot of group think here. To lose power starting with a majority of 80 would be unusual. Noting that petrol prices are dropping, the grain deal might work out, and there is a decent chance of a stable Ukrainian victory (of sorts) that will unlock utility price cuts, it feels even harder.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

Of which country?

He's surely not going to keep his seat much past 5 September, in the hope of his successor falling apart, is he? He's going to want to start cashing in, which will in itself make it impossible for him to get the top job back.

ydoethur said:

Someone has posted this in the Twitter thread, which I fear may be not inaccurate.

Are we talking about Freedman,Truss or the whole fecking pack of them?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Andy_JS said:

Does a laptop keyboard count as a mechanical keyboard?
    not really a mechanical keyboard has a mechanical switch under every key..
    edited July 2022
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

He's surely not going to keep his seat much past 5 September, in the hope of his successor falling apart, is he? He's going to want to start cashing in, which will in itself make it impossible for him to get the top job back.
    Looks like he is going to stay on the backbenches and wait for his successor to muck up and face a big poll deficit so his party begs him to return.

He now clearly has no intention of departing the scene like say Blair or Cameron to simply make money, instead, like Trump, he will wait for his chance to reclaim the top job
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

Andy_JS said:

Of course, but that is not the point. @williamglenn posts a gloating negative story about the EU or one of the EU countries with monotonous regularity. This would not be so ludicrous if it were not for the fact that only a short time ago he was more Europhile than Leon Brittan.
    What is your view of Gerhard Schroeder's continued shilling for Putin's regime? Do you think the circumstances around how he set Germany's catastrophic energy policy are worthy of further investigation? Or does Germany being a member of the European Union mean anything goes?
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

At this moment, there are no seats the Tories can consider truly safe. So unless they become more popular, in which case they will not need a 'saviour,' that wouldn't work.
    I don’t think that’s right. The safest seats just look different - no LibDems, strongly Leave, not Starmer friendly. They won’t be losing some of the East Midlands seers any time soon if there was a by-election, for example.

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

What is your view of Gerhard Schroeder's continued shilling for Putin's regime? Do you think the circumstances around how he set Germany's catastrophic energy policy are worthy of further investigation? Or does Germany being a member of the European Union mean anything goes?
    I think he'd rather talk about williamglenn's posting habits.

ydoethur said:

Someone has posted this in the Twitter thread, which I fear may be not inaccurate.

Just laughing at the idea of an “energetic” General Staff.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

Of course, but that is not the point. @williamglenn posts a gloating negative story about the EU or one of the EU countries with monotonous regularity.
    A valuable service to PB, as it balances out the tedious Scott.
    biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

I don’t think that’s right. The safest seats just look different - no LibDems, strongly Leave, not Starmer friendly. They won’t be losing some of the East Midlands seers any time soon if there was a by-election, for example.

I wouldn't expect them to lose Cannock, or Bassetlaw, or Stone.

But then I didn't expect them to lose Oswestry.
    MISTY said:

Translation?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    A couple of years ago, my Model M IBM keyboard having finally failed after two decades of use, I ordered its more colorful descendant, from Unicomp: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

And I like it. But I can't decide for certain whether I like it because that is what I learned on, or because the "buckling springs" are actually a better technology. This Wikipedia article supports the better technology hypothesis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

And makes me wonder whether most of would now be better off with systems that had better keyboards and slower CPUs.

(The old keyboard could, probably, have been repaired, by the replacement of the cable.)
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

At a General Election they wouldn't, an ageing Boris loyalist like Chope could give up his safe seat of Christchurch , Conservative majority 24,617 at the next general election for Boris to jump to from Uxbridge.

Like Trump or Berlusconi he might prove difficult to get rid of
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

Leon said:

For the aliens, copulating with us would be like bestiality. Zoophilia

But maybe that's why they've come all this way, across a trillion light years? For specialised tastes

OMFG we are being invaded by HORDES OF KINKSTER ALIENS WITH TOSHIBA WANDS THE SIZE OF THE SHARD

You always seem to go for the exceptionalism route. What happens if life is so common, in all its fecund forms, that we're just BORING? We're of no interest. We're worse than Mostly Harmless.

Billions of stars exist within a trillion light years, and possibly tens of billions of planets. Why are we so exceptional that these aliens would want to stop here, instead of that planet on the other side of the Milky Way that had those rather nice nipple-plants?
    As you might expect, Ron Mael of Sparks has written a song about this sort of thing. (I Married a Martian)

Here's the great man reciting the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_ALtSdbQo&ab_channel=SPARKS

And here's the song (from their manic early 80's phase)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2h_6q9B0Go&ab_channel=Sparks-Topic

• StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567
    Leon said:

Sunak is how the Conservatives cut their losses. A certain but smallish defeat.

Truss is double or quits. With a coin that is biased towards losing. But a chance of winning.

Which is better? Depends on your worldview, I guess.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    HYUFD said:

He doesn't seem to realize he's been kicked out in personal disgrace as unfit for high office.

"Hasta la vista baby" ... lol ... what a plank.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    edited July 2022
    biggles said:

There is a lot of group think here. To lose power starting with a majority of 80 would be unusual. Noting that petrol prices are dropping, the grain deal might work out, and there is a decent chance of a stable Ukrainian victory (of sorts) that will unlock utility price cuts, it feels even harder.

It is groupthink, but also classic midterm hysteria.

I have been posting on here long enough to remember how many people were certain in 2013 that Ed "Aleppo" Miliband would sweep to power in 2015.

Also that Cameron was a dead cert for an overall majority in 2010.
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

That's not true in my opinion. Con vs Lab seats with very large majorities are mostly safe for the Tories. It's only seats where the LDs are either in second place or capable of getting into second place where there aren't any safe seats. There are large numbers of seats, on the east coast for example, where the LDs aren't strong enough to do so.
  • moonshine said:

This forgot:

2006: Putin deploys radiological weapons to commit extrajudicial murder in London
    2007: Nordstream 1 signs letter of intent for construction.
    Incredibly short-sighted.

UK not much better, of course.
    Londongrad was just too much fun, and even after the Crimean annexation energy security was just far too boring to worry about.
    The two couldn't be more different.

Nordstream was Germany getting it's balls into a vice controlled by Putin, allowing him to turn off supply with them having no alternative.

Londongrad was us offering a vice for Russians to rest their balls within, allowing us to seize and sanction their wealth.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Is it the IBM Buckling Spring Keyboard? Often thought to be the best keyboard ever (and beautifully noisy - defo NOT for a quiet office :D:D )

https://youtu.be/D7wmMZmMinM
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He doesn't seem to realize he's been kicked out in personal disgrace as unfit for high office.

He can't have been kicked out in disgrace. Security haven't escorted him off the premises and his team have just given him a standing ovation.

Chumps. Serves them right if he keeps reappearing.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Andy_JS said:

20C in London today, about half what it was on Tuesday.

Pendant alert - 20 deg C is not half of 40 deg C. On Kelvin scale it’s 293 vs 317 K.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

At a General Election they wouldn't, an ageing Boris loyalist like Chope could give up his safe seat of Christchurch , Conservative majority 24,617 at the next general election for Boris to jump to from Uxbridge.

North Shropshire majority 2019 - 22,949.
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

That's not true in my opinion. Con vs Lab seats with very large majorities are mostly safe for the Tories. It's only seats where the LDs are either in second place or capable of getting into second place where there aren't any safe seats. There are large numbers of seats, on the east coast for example, where the LDs aren't strong enough to do so.
    You mean like, say, North Shropshire, where the Liberal Democrats had come second once in thirty years, hadn't won the seat since 1904 and were almost 7,000 votes behind Labour?
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

Looks like he is going to stay on the backbenches and wait for his successor to muck up and face a big poll deficit so his party begs him to return.

He now clearly has no intention of departing the scene like say Blair or Cameron to simply make money, instead, like Trump, he will wait for his chance to reclaim the top job
    My impression of Boris is that he regards each setback or pratfall merely as an opportunity for demonstrating his powers of recovery and ingenuity and indomitabiity. It all adds to the legend. I'm quite sure he'll be planning his next Houdini Act. The show ain't over yet.
    ydoetheur - It probably wasn't either the elder or younger Moltke who said that: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/28/clever-lazy/

More likely, it was General Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord.

(I've been thinking, off and on, about that four-fold division, for years, and have decided that it is "clever and lazy", but probably not a good universal rule.)

ydoetheur - It probably wasn't either the elder or younger Moltke who said that: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/28/clever-lazy/

More likely, it was General Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord.

(I've been thinking, off and on, about that four-fold division, for years, and have decided that it is "clever and lazy", but probably not a good universal rule.)

It wasn't me that quoted it, either. You see how easy misattribution is...
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Christchurch won't do the job, but a Brexit-heavy not very liberal seat in Essex probably would.

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

My impression of Boris is that he regards each setback or pratfall merely as an opportunity for demonstrating his powers of recovery and ingenuity and indomitabiity. It all adds to the legend. I'm quite sure he'll be planning his next Houdini Act. The show ain't over yet.
    There are no disasters, only opportunities. And indeed opportunities for fresh disasters.
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

Actually, good point. My last post might be overly derisory and offbeam. After all Donald Trump - who I agree is his role model - is clear betting fav for next US President despite being revealed as a violent far right fascist, so why on earth should Johnson's rather more prosaic flaws and misdemeanours stop him coming back in triumph?
  • Andy_JS said:

Pendant alert - 20 deg C is not half of 40 deg C. On Kelvin scale it’s 293 vs 317 K.
    Eh?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MISTY said:

Translation?
    Flat green bit in the middle not flat and green enough

Andy_JS said:

Eh?
    Just leave that hanging...

Leon said:

Truss is double or quits. With a coin that is biased towards losing. But a chance of winning.

No, I think that was Mordaunt. A risk but possibly worth it. Truss is the IDS option - no upside.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He can't have been kicked out in disgrace. Security haven't escorted him off the premises and his team have just given him a standing ovation.

Chumps. Serves them right if he keeps reappearing.
    Yes, it's a risk. The GOP had the chance with *their* malign populist occupier, didn't they, straight after Jan 6th, but they flunked it. And now look.
    IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Translation?
    Flat green bit in the middle not flat and green enough
    Good grief.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

Actually, good point. My last post might be overly derisory and offbeam. After all Donald Trump - who I agree is his role model - is clear betting fav for next US President despite being revealed as a violent far right fascist, so why on earth should Johnson's rather more prosaic flaws and misdemeanours stop him coming back in triumph?
    I rather feel that Trump's enduring popularity has been enhanced by his haters' continual use of phrases like "violent far right fascist" which don't ring true with his voters.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Andy_JS said:

Eh?
    Typo. Should say 293 vs 313K. It’s been a long long week.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

I rather feel that Trump's enduring popularity has been enhanced by his haters' continual use of phrases like "violent far right fascist" which don't ring true with his voters.
    I don't agree that he's a fascist.

But he's clearly a danger to democracy.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, I think that was Mordaunt. A risk but possibly worth it. Truss is the IDS option - no upside.
    Eh?

Truss is a slightly awkward figure, who is tainted with a certain section of the electorate by having thrown her lot in with the ERG.

But, she's also a woman who has served in the Cabinets of three different PMs, steadily climbing the greasy poll.

My guess is that she'll be reasonably confident, and will turn out not to be the ERG stooge than some think she is.
    The problem with Truss is she is too Remain for hardline Leave voters, too pro hard Brexit and loyal to Boris for Remain voters and too Thatcherite on economics for working class voters in the redwall.

Her best chance is probably just to give up the redwall and Remainers and double down on hard Brexit and Thatcherite economics to at least get the Tory core vote behind her
  • HYUFD said:

LOL he has a good sense of humour. 🤣

He'll take the Chiltern Hundreds the second the new PM has kissed the Queen's hand, but he's having fun until then.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Eh?

Truss is a slightly awkward figure, who is tainted with a certain section of the electorate by having thrown her lot in with the ERG.

But, she's also a woman who has served in the Cabinets of three different PMs, steadily climbing the greasy poll.

My guess is that she'll be reasonably confident, and will turn out not to be the ERG stooge than some think she is.
    Typo for competent? Or Freudian slip?
    edited July 2022

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Christchurch won't do the job, but a Brexit-heavy not very liberal seat in Essex probably would.
    Christchurch is as safe as any Essex seat at a general election. Chope got 65% of the vote there in 2019, even more than the 64% Eleanor Laing got here in Epping Forest.

In a by election no Tory seat is safe, in a general election however Christchurch is safe as houses

We still have far to go, but we are making good progress on Trump:

"In October 2021, a Quinnipiac University poll found that an overwhelming 78 percent of Republicans said they wanted to see Trump run in 2024. By February, that share had slipped to 69 percent in a CBS News-YouGov poll. In June, it was down to 53 percent, according to a Politico-Morning Consult poll. And last week, a New York Times-Siena College poll found that just 49 percent of Republicans say they would support Trump for a third nomination, while a 51 percent majority wants someone else.

That is a 29-point decline over the past nine months. Trump still has more support than any potential challenger, but more and more Republicans are considering alternatives for 2024."

The columnist who wrote that, Mark Thiessen, is a foreign policy hard-liner, who has worked for both Rumsfeld and George W. Bush.
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

He'll take the Chiltern Hundreds the second the new PM has kissed the Queen's hand, but he's having fun until then.
    He won't, he wants revenge. He is leaving office no longer than May and Brown served despite winning the biggest Tory victory in decades in 2019 and after less time in office than Thatcher, Blair, Cameron and even Major served
    Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

Well unlike him and them I tell it like it is. Can't be arsed with political correctness.
    Marc Thiessen, not Mark Thiessen.

"His mother grew up in Poland and fought as a teenager in the Warsaw Uprising, a military struggle in which his grandfather died." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Thiessen

So, it is not surprising that he has strong views on foreign policy.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781

"In October 2021, a Quinnipiac University poll found that an overwhelming 78 percent of Republicans said they wanted to see Trump run in 2024. By February, that share had slipped to 69 percent in a CBS News-YouGov poll. In June, it was down to 53 percent, according to a Politico-Morning Consult poll. And last week, a New York Times-Siena College poll found that just 49 percent of Republicans say they would support Trump for a third nomination, while a 51 percent majority wants someone else.

That is a 29-point decline over the past nine months. Trump still has more support than any potential challenger, but more and more Republicans are considering alternatives for 2024."

The columnist who wrote that, Mark Thiessen, is a foreign policy hard-liner, who has worked for both Rumsfeld and George W. Bush.

Not least thanks to Cheney's contribution.

There's a good article here, which I found quite persuasive, looking at how she has played it:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/07/liz-cheney-not-mad-disappointed.html
    rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

*Wannabe* fascist then. Given the right circs he'd step up to the plate no bother.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He won't, he wants revenge. He is leaving office no longer than May and Brown served despite winning the biggest Tory victory in decades in 2019 and after less time in office than Thatcher, Blair, Cameron and even Major served
    He's passed Brown and he'll have passed May too by the time the contest is over.

You're naive if you think he'll be stewing about how to get revenge from the backbenches, that's not his style. He'll have no interest in being a bit part sideshow to someone else's play, the moment the story isn't about him anymore he'll call it time and move on.

Chiltern Hundreds means he can start cashing in on having been PM without having to declare payments as MPs have to do. There'll be nothing for him left in the Commons on the backbenches.

Besides he's a journalist. If he wants revenge he can get it from snide articles etc just as Osborne and Major etc have sought revenge against May and Boris himself respectively for years now. No need to constrain himself to the green benches to do that.
    rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

He has been adopted by the fascists in the US, though. That style of politics predates his presidency - though note he latched on to the birther movement, which is part of it, quite early on.
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He's passed Brown and he'll have passed May too by the time the contest is over.

You're naive if you think he'll be stewing about how to get revenge from the backbenches, that's not his style. He'll have no interest in being a bit part sideshow to someone else's play, the moment the story isn't about him anymore he'll call it time and move on.

Chiltern Hundreds means he can start cashing in on having been PM without having to declare payments as MPs have to do. There'll be nothing for him left in the Commons on the backbenches.

Besides he's a journalist. If he wants revenge he can get it from snide articles etc just as Osborne and Major etc have sought revenge against May and Boris himself respectively for years now. No need to constrain himself to the green benches to do that.
    He has just told aides he will be back as PM within a year, he will stay on the backbenches and plot his return to Downing Street.

If the Tories lose the next general election he could even then stand for Leader of the Opposition with Sunak and Truss then out the way
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He has just told aides he will be back as PM within a year, he will stay on the backbenchers and plot his return to Downing Street
    He can say what he likes, doesn't mean he's telling the truth.

£20 at evens says he'll talk the Chiltern Hundreds within a year. Can be to charity or direct if you're interested.
    Nigelb said:

There's a good article here, which I found quite persuasive, looking at how she has played it:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/07/liz-cheney-not-mad-disappointed.html
    She's brave and impressive. It's harder to oppose him as a Republican than as a Democrat.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517

Andy_JS said:

Beat you to it by over an hour. Even to the extent of calling myself a pedant.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That may be true, and yet he may still take the Chiltern Hundreds. Forcing a London by-election onto his successor would do a good job of weakening them straight away, assuming that Labour managed to win an Uxbridge contest.

Then, when the clamour for his return reaches a sufficient intensity, his successful defence of a by-election in a safer seat would make the case for his greater electoral appeal. And it's a handy way of him doing a chicken run to a safe seat without appearing to do so.

I can see why Johnson would see it as an appealing narrative arc for an idle daydream. It's not completely impossible.
    Considering the foreign leaders Trump is attracted to, for example, the kings of Saudia Arabia and North Korea, I think he is better described as a "monarchist", than as a "fascist". That is also consistent with his desire to see his children succeed him.

But we should also recognize, above all, that he is not a systematic enough thinker to really have an ideology. He illustrates Bagehot's point about monarchy being easier to understand than other forms of government.

If Boris is serious, he will utterly destroy his successor’s premiership, and possibly the entire Tory Party.

He seems to have forgotten how grossly unpopular he was.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Kelvin a ratio scale? I don't think so, but am not sure.

ETA it is a ratio scale says Google
    rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

When does a populist become a fascist? I think incitement to insurrection and attempting to subvert democracy sounds pretty fascist-like to me. He is not a Nazi, but fascist in a modern Mussolini style? I would say so.
  • My feeling is that Johnson wants the Tories to lose the next GE so he can prove only he can win.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Of which country?

He has been adopted by the fascists in the US, though. That style of politics predates his presidency - though note he latched on to the birther movement, which is part of it, quite early on.
    As the phrase goes, "He's not a fascist, but he's number one with fascists."

My feeling is that Johnson wants the Tories to lose the next GE so he can prove only he can win.

I think that is a reasonable assumption.
    geoffw said:

kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Kelvin a ratio scale? I don't think so, but am not sure.

Kelvin uses the same degree(*) as celsius, but a different zero point.

(*) open goal for the pedants there.
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it is disgraceful. He is a traitor to his country and a disgrace to democracy. That satisfy you?
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

She's brave and impressive. It's harder to oppose him as a Republican than as a Democrat.
    Yes.

R4 interview this morning with a prominent Trump supporter, forget his name now. To the question, "Are you truly ok with how Donald Trump behaved on Jan 6th?", he offered the answer - "Well he behaved like he always behaves."

This bizarrely seemed to be his idea of a good defence.

"Members of the jury, you have heard how my client hid in a bush and, when the first little old lady came by, jumped out and grabbed her, took her purse, and ran off with it, leaving her shocked and distressed and poorer by the sum of almost fifty pounds. Fine. No argument there. But I must say to you in all sincerity that you must not and cannot convict ... because it's what he does."

Unbelievable it really is. Either I'm going mad or the world is.
    RobD said:

moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

I think he'd rather talk about williamglenn's posting habits.
    I just answered this. Pillock!

• TresTres Posts: 2,651
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

That's because he hasn't. He's still PM.
This discussion has been closed.