Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Today will be Johnson’s last PMQs as PM – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited July 2022 in General
imageToday will be Johnson’s last PMQs as PM – politicalbetting.com

No doubt over the next year or so we are going to see a series of academic and other studies on the downfall of Johnson who, of course, at GE2019 had the best Tory general election outcome since the Thatcher era.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    End of an era. Who could have predicted that the next era would be worse?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,173
    edited July 2022
    So, what is your full order, order of rating PMQ performers? Where would Boris sit overall?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Blair style standing ovation incoming
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • I am very grateful to everyone who helped bring Boris down, which of course includes Boris himself.

Barring a major shock, it seems either we get Sunak who has 5000 reasons to be next PM, or we get Truss who will be a big improvement on Boris.

Win/win either way. I wonder how many others who wanted Boris gone now look at the alternatives who might replace him and thinks the same?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

I am very grateful to everyone who helped bring Boris down, which of course includes Boris himself.

Barring a major shock, it seems either we get Sunak who has 5000 reasons to be next PM, or we get Truss who will be a big improvement on Boris.

Win/win either way. I wonder how many others who wanted Boris gone now look at the alternatives who might replace him and thinks the same?

I just don't get this idea that Truss (let's borrow money for sweeties) is an improvement on Bozo..
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,106
    Why are there two parallel threads?
  • eek said:

I am very grateful to everyone who helped bring Boris down, which of course includes Boris himself.

I just don't get this idea that Truss (let's borrow money for sweeties) is an improvement on Bozo..
    Because she'll challenge Treasury orthodoxy and cut taxes from their highest rate in 74 years, that's the right thing to do. 👍

Lower tax rates 'grow the pie' and equal more tax revenues so repay any borrowing to fund that.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    We appear to have duplicate threads running. Same header different comments.
    Poor old FrankBooth is talking to himself.

We’ve already had a tremendous run of PMs who have weakened the Union, each contributing something new. That trend is guaranteed to continue.

Thatcher - Queen bee of the Union-destroyers
    Major - the hiccup
    Blair - Ya stoater!
    Brown - Wipeout man
    Cameron - 28% became 45%
    May - Broken Britain
    The Oaf - Liar, cheat, mountebank, and twenty more negative attributes

Sunak, Mordaunt, Truss - Whoever wins will certainly not strengthen the Union: they don’t know how to.
    I predicted right at the start the winner would be the one who most favoured unfunded tax cuts.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Morning all, i survived the great phew of 22 but boy was yesterday unpleasant in my upstairs flat with partial wraparound windows! Got to 31 inside, yuck.

The Opinium figures out ioday compare to a forced choice in 6 July opinium of 49 to 30 Starmer vs Johnson government on a VI lead of 5 so are suggestive of a limited bounceback whomever is selected. A forced choice lead of 11 for example feels about level pegging on VI as most (but by no means all) others break to Starmer/Labour
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599
    My prediction:

Liz wins the leadership, but under the ERG's unshakeable belief that she will rule as their vassal.

To cement her hard-Brexit credentials (Remainer, Lib Dem past etc.) Liz unilaterally scraps Boris's oven-ready deal.

A trade war with the EU ensues.

Amid the social and economic mayhem, public support for Brexit collapses.

Liz is ousted. Hunt is brought in as the 'healing' alternative.

The ERG resign en masse, causing a string of by-elections.

Hunt calls a snap GE on a 'Britain Needs Stability' ticket.

Tories reduced to seventy seats.
    Betfair next prime minister
    2 Liz Truss 50%
    2.6 Rishi Sunak 38%
    8.6 Penny Mordaunt 12%
    550 Keir Starmer
    600 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    1.98 Liz Truss 51%
    2.64 Rishi Sunak 38%
    8.4 Penny Mordaunt 12%

To be in final two
    1.01 Rishi Sunak 99%
    1.23 Liz Truss 81%
    4.5 Penny Mordaunt 22%
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited July 2022

While I agree, I am by no means convinced that we have seen the last of the Big Dog! While he is in Parliament I think he will make some trouble for his successor; he has after all apparently little sense of loyalty. And certainly not to anyone who takes over from him and doesn't give him a job.

That's a thought of course; former Prime Minister's have held seats in other peoples cabinets in the past!
  • Genuinely there is a scenario here where the Tories get less than 100 seats.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550

My prediction:

Liz wins the leadership, but under the ERG's unshakeable belief that she will rule as their vassal.

To cement her hard-Brexit credentials (Remainer, Lib Dem past etc.) Liz unilaterally scraps Boris's oven-ready deal.

Why does she need to cement her hard-Brexit credentials? What are the ERG going to do if they're not happy with her? They can hardly call *another* leadership contest.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Tweetgate latest .

It does seem PM was just linking to the DT article which used those words and put them as a header . It wasn’t her own words.

Regardless I think it would be a miracle for her to get through . Shame as we won’t be seeing more of her Bond Money Penny looks and have to make do with Truss’s Maggie impression .

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,707
    People getting excited over Penny's deleted Tweet seem to have lost their basic reading faculties. The Tweet text was just a repetition of the headline title in the piece the Tweet linked to. She's done that with every other news story that she's linked to.

My prediction:

In that scenario they'll want BoJo back to save some of their seats.

My prediction:

Like it!

But no mention of Scotland or N Ireland?!

Genuinely there is a scenario here where the Tories get less than 100 seats.

How?
    There really isn't.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,281
    edited July 2022

Morning all, i survived the great phew of 22 but boy was yesterday unpleasant in my upstairs flat with partial wraparound windows! Got to 31 inside, yuck.

The Opinium figures out ioday compare to a forced choice in 6 July opinium of 49 to 30 Starmer vs Johnson government on a VI lead of 5 so are suggestive of a limited bounceback whomever is selected. A forced choice lead of 11 for example feels about level pegging on VI as most (but by no means all) others break to Starmer/Labour

Glad you made it through

For me, the nastiest bit was the end. The early evening. The worst of the heat was past but it seemed to stay ~35C in Camden long into the gloaming. And it got stickier

Ugh

It was bliss to wake up to 21C and a fresh mild breeze. No doubt we shall all be moaning about the coolness very soon

But not yet. Not yet
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,041

We’ve already had a tremendous run of PMs who have weakened the Union, each contributing something new. That trend is guaranteed to continue.

Major - the hiccup
    Blair - Ya stoater!
    Brown - Wipeout man
    Cameron - 28% became 45%
    May - Broken Britain

Sunak, Mordaunt, Truss - Whoever wins will certainly not strengthen the Union: they don’t know how to.
    Just keep refusing indyref2 if you are a Tory PM

eek said:

Because she'll challenge Treasury orthodoxy and cut taxes from their highest rate in 74 years, that's the right thing to do. 👍

Lower tax rates 'grow the pie' and equal more tax revenues so repay any borrowing to fund that.
    Now go and look at the taxes she plans to cut and tell me

1) How they will make anyone earning less than £30,000 feel better off
    2) Actually raise more revenue, companies aren't going to suddenly expand in the UK because we are already running at full employment....

The idea is simply daft... Now cut fuel duty (which isn't in Truss's plans) and I might agree that it's worthwhile but Employee / Employer NI and Corporation Tax aren't things that need cutting.

Heck the Corporation tax cut will reduce investment not increase it because Companies will be aiming to extract profit ASAP before the inevitable occurs.

While I agree, I am by no means convinced that we have seen the last of the Big Dog! While he is in Parliament I think he will make some trouble for his successor; he has after all apparently little sense of loyalty. And certainly not to anyone who takes over from him and doesn't give him a job.

That's a thought of course; former Prime Minister's have held seats in other peoples cabinets in the past!
    The Oaf is no parliamentarian. That’s too much like hard work.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,752
    IshmaelZ said:

Are rotten fruit and veg allowed for the ovation?

People getting excited over Penny's deleted Tweet seem to have lost their basic reading faculties. The Tweet text was just a repetition of the headline title in the piece the Tweet linked to. She's done that with every other news story that she's linked to.

A politician with no political judgement then. Or more likely, a politician with an underpaid intern with no political judgement and control of social media accounts. Or standard Tory shitposting. Who can tell?
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,704

My prediction:

Why does she need to cement her hard-Brexit credentials? What are the ERG going to do if they're not happy with her? They can hardly call *another* leadership contest.
    Pure wishful thinking on Mr Dawning's part - just look at his avatar!
    HYUFD said:

Major - the hiccup
    Blair - Ya stoater!
    Brown - Wipeout man
    Cameron - 28% became 45%
    May - Broken Britain

Fantastic advice Wee Franco!!

edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Glad you made it through

For me, the nastiest bit was the end. The early evening. The worst of the heat was past but it seemed to stay ~35C in Camden long into the gloaming. And it got stickier

Ugh

It was bliss to wake up to 21C and a fresh mild breeze. No doubt we shall all be moaning about the coolness very soon

But not yet. Not yet
    In Africa they're relieved to have said goodbye to the temporary spell of ruined picnics, soggy sandwiches, freezing fog, the wrong type of snow, and drizzle.

I think in context it's indicating approval, she wouldn't have tweeted out a piece that said "Penny Mordaunt wants to slice up your pets to make sashimi for transsexuals".
  • It's never going to happen, but from here I'd most like Kemi to back Penny, help her win and become her CotE
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    IshmaelZ said:

I foresee loud yelps and a blizzard of fingers as the great big muscly man exits the stage.
    eek said:

eek said:

2) Actually raise more revenue, companies aren't going to suddenly expand in the UK because we are already running at full employment....

The idea is simply daft... Now cut fuel duty (which isn't in Truss's plans) and I might agree that it's worthwhile but Employee / Employer NI and Corporation Tax aren't things that need cutting.

Heck the Corporation tax cut will reduce investment not increase it because Companies will be aiming to extract profit ASAP before the inevitable occurs.
    I wasn't aware a corporation tax cut was planned - I thought they were just scrapping Sunak's loony plan to raise it.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    I thought Johnson was hiding in a fridge today and not doing PMQs? Its Rayner vs Raaaaaab isn't it?
    FPT
    MattW said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

- Penny Mordaunt vowed to turn generation rent into generation buy with interest-free loans for deposits & forcing ALL banks to take rent into account for credit scores

Radical blueprint for partial loans to repay within 36 months

from @hoffman_noa and me

Great so nothing about housing costs, just more bubble inflation. BUILD MORE HOUSES

If you get a loan for your deposit, in what way is that a deposit? It's just an interest free part of your mortgage, surely?
    Say rent is £1000 a month. Mortgage is £700.

In theory that leaves you with £300 which could be used to rapidly repay the deposit loan...

Now it's possible that if you are paying rent you have enough spare cash to save for a deposit but I doubt it and this approach would provide a means of doing so.

Whether it's sane is a completely different matter but I can see how an interest free deposit could work.
    That analysis doesn't work; you need comparable comparables.

Rent covers a *hell* of a lot more than a mortgage payment.

What happens, for example, if the drains need rodding, or windows replacing, or broken rooftiles fixing?

Or the building insurance, or the gas safety certificate and maintenance, or the electrical inspection, or ...

Or as one of my Ts discovered two weeks ago, if Hedge Bindweed swamps everything in a very few days :smile: .

Again - you know that, I know that but the only thing that matters to this Government is keeping house prices propped up because without that we don't actually have that much of an economy.

And given that we have got to the point where people who can manage a deposit have bought a home what we are left with is finding another prop now it's no longer possible for Northern Rock and co to offer 110% mortgages.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,739

My prediction:

OR....

Sunak v Truss; Truss implodes under scrutiny. Sunak wins the membership 63:37.

Sunak puts together a sensible Cabinet of capable talent. Boris chunters from the backbenchers for a bit, but decides life outside Westminster is for him and resigns his seat. The ERG are told to STFU as they were the ones pushing Truss.

Inflation peaks at 12.3%, but reduces very quickly, back to 3.6% next spring. The Government toughs it out at 5% on pay rises, saying if inflation stays high, there will be a supplementary pay rise in the spring; it won't be needed.

Putin dies in mysterious circumstances; Russian troops are pulled out of Ukraine except Crimea. Oil and food prices stabilise.

Conservative polling fortunes inch back up to 36%. Labour are seen to have no answers and inch back down to 36%. Starmer gets the blame.

New boundaries come in for the October 24 election. Tory majority of 14.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

The Oaf is no parliamentarian. That’s too much like hard work.
    It doesn't seem to be, necessarily! And it does give opportunities for self publicity.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,704

This being a politician on Twitter, "she" is almost certainly not actually her, but one of her team who's been tasked to retweet all "positive" news.
    Anyone want to start a book on the next Troll Factory obsession? We’ve had flint dildos, salivating over birds several decades too young, ufos, the weather… and approx 500 more public displays of middle-age crisis. What on earth is next on the agenda?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    edited July 2022
    The Tories aren’t going to be reduced to less than 100 seats any more than Labour under Corybn were going to do the same.

The fundamentals are not there for such a significant collapse, from such a high base.

Remember that in 2024 a number of Tory MPs will be running on first term incumbency which will likely save a few seats here and there which would otherwise be expected to drop.

I certainly can see a cataclysm where an 80 seat Tory majority turns into a narrow Labour majority - that is how bad things are. Anything else is hyperbole.

The country is expressing its preference more and more for a Labour government but do not make the mistake that the country is hugely enthusiastic for one.
    eek said:

eek said:

Fuel duty is the go to tax cut now. We have to burst this inflation bubble, and every single thing we buy relies on diesel fuel. So slash the cost, bring down prices, and down comes inflation.

Or we can *borrow* to cut taxes which just make some companies & individuals richer, and then the inflation bubble inflates faster. She is bonkers.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

My prediction:

The trouble is that Truss will have to deal with factions. The ERG, red wall, and some social liberals. And she needs significant majorities to avoid rebellions and get stuff done.

The most likely outcome is that nothing much will happen.

Truss doesn't have the authority that Boris did. Boris saved the party in 2019 and was untouchable. Truss will just be stumbling along Theresa May style. The ERG will be screaming betrayal, and there will be chaos over any "woke" stuff. All in a context of economic chaos and decline.

It seems to me like the most likely fate is just that the tories start fighting amongst themselves and lose the next election, potentially heavily. Already they seem to have lost the sense of wanting to win; it is more about pushing through hobby horse policies whilst they have time.

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    FPT: @Leon said:
    "I’ve noticed a pattern - those that have @BartholomewRoberts attitude - “oh get over it, stop being a snowflake, enjoy the sun, it’s summer!” ALL come from parts of the country which have shit weather (eg Scotland, NW England) or their region didn’t endure 40C+, or both

No one in the south or SE is saying these dismissive things. We experienced 40C"

Sorry old chap, but you are WRONG! I live in one of the hottest areas, well until I decamped to the seaside get away, which was/is fairly hot. Did I mention the seaside getaway? Oh whoops I mentioned it again. I only mention it, not so as to boast (don't want to be a @leon), but because us second homers turn @leon into a torment of Jeremy Corbyn style envy. lol.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Zero?

I think in context it's indicating approval, she wouldn't have tweeted out a piece that said "Penny Mordaunt wants to slice up your pets to make sashimi for transsexuals".
    She wouldn't have Tweeted out any piece that wasn't a positive for her, of course. But check other similar Tweets, the headline is just given verbatim.

Hopefully the kerfuffle gets more MPs to read the piece.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    FPT:

Sounds like Mordaunt has sunk her own ship.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590

My prediction:

OR....

Sunak puts together a sensible Cabinet of capable talent. Boris chunters from the backbenchers for a bit, but decides life outside Westminster is for him and resigns his seat. The ERG are told to STFU as they were the ones pushing Truss.

Inflation peaks at 12.3%, but reduces very quickly, back to 3.6% next spring. The Government toughs it out at 5% on pay rises, saying if inflation stays high, there will be a supplementary pay rise in the spring; it won't be needed.

Putin dies in mysterious circumstances; Russian troops are pulled out of Ukraine except Crimea. Oil and food prices stabilise.

Conservative polling fortunes inch back up to 36%. Labour are seen to have no answers and inch back down to 36%. Starmer gets the blame.

When you wake up you may need to change the sheet

Anyone want to start a book on the next Troll Factory obsession? We’ve had flint dildos, salivating over birds several decades too young, ufos, the weather… and approx 500 more public displays of middle-age crisis. What on earth is next on the agenda?

I want to see @Xipe and @Orka having a fight on here with @Leon stepping in to referee.

I think they made a film about that

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127

End of an era. Who could have predicted that the next era would be worse?

It has basically been steadily downhill from Cameron, to May, to Johnson. And yet still, like Charlie Brown, I can't help but feel whoever comes next will surely, surely be better than Boris Johnson.
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Glad you made it through

Ugh

But not yet. Not yet
    Yeah it was shit on a stick from mid afternoon onwards. The breeze this morning through the window was rather heavenly.

PMQs..... any odds being offered on Boz getting a standing ovation a la Scumbag Blair??
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

Major - the hiccup
    Blair - Ya stoater!
    Brown - Wipeout man
    Cameron - 28% became 45%
    May - Broken Britain

I would have thought Franco would have been a role model for all you hate-mongering nationalists. Your divisive politics are a lot more Franco-esque than HYUFD. That said jackboots and a kilt probably don't work that well.

Well, your over-riding obsession, along with a cranky ethnocentric Scot Nattery, seems to be ME, and that never changes

I suppose I should be flattered
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    eek said:

eek said:

Society can't just be year after year the same direction of cutting fuel duty and other things for welfare / low income households, while punishing workers and business people for social sins like earning more than 30k. You could end up like continental Europe where workers just give up trying to live a middle-class life while having kids.

The Tories aren’t going to be reduced to less than 100 seats any more than Labour under Corybn were going to do the same.

The fundamentals are not there for such a significant collapse, from such a high base.

Remember that in 2024 a number of Tory MPs will be running on first term incumbency which will likely save a few seats here and there which would otherwise be expected to drop.

I certainly can see a cataclysm where an 80 seat Tory majority turns into a narrow Labour majority - that is how bad things are. Anything else is hyperbole.

The country is expressing its preference more and more for a Labour government but do not make the mistake that the country is hugely enthusiastic for one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Con seats before election = 156

Con seats after election = 2

Quos Deus vult perdere, prius dementat.

In 2024 they will be running in new constituencies which will impact any benefit from first term incumbency.

And first term incumbency means being given the benefit of the doubt which may not exist if people feel poor.

My prediction:

OR....

That's a heck of a lot of pieces to fall precisely into place to produce a majority of merely 14.
    That you say that is rather telling.
    Value bet. Sell Tory majority. There seems to have been a total collapse in confidence within the Tory Party without Johnson.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,779
    IshmaelZ said:

Only the toadies - likely to rather fewer than Blair had at the end.
  • dixiedean said:

My prediction:

OR....

That's a heck of a lot of pieces to fall precisely into place to produce a majority of merely 14.
    Value bet. Sell Tory majority. There seems to have been a total collapse in confidence within the Tory Party without Johnson.
    To be fair I outlined a similar process when Starmer became leader, for how he would win a majority.

And that's happening - so it's not impossible
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

My prediction:

The trouble is that Truss will have to deal with factions. The ERG, red wall, and some social liberals. And she needs significant majorities to avoid rebellions and get stuff done.

The most likely outcome is that nothing much will happen.

Truss doesn't have the authority that Boris did. Boris saved the party in 2019 and was untouchable. Truss will just be stumbling along Theresa May style. The ERG will be screaming betrayal, and there will be chaos over any "woke" stuff. All in a context of economic chaos and decline.

It seems to me like the most likely fate is just that the tories start fighting amongst themselves and lose the next election, potentially heavily. Already they seem to have lost the sense of wanting to win; it is more about pushing through hobby horse policies whilst they have time.

I don't think she needs to get things done??? I mean, little things and symbolic things yes, but nothing difficult. Show up in Kiev personally shouldering an RPG and handing it over to a young English-speaking soldier lady who used to work in Ikea. Bring back horses. Stuff like that.

All she really needs is an openness to new ideas and a total lack of shame, both of which she's got.
    edited July 2022
    EPG said:

eek said:

eek said:

Society can't just be year after year the same direction of cutting fuel duty and other things for welfare / low income households, while punishing workers and business people for social sins like earning more than 30k. You could end up like continental Europe where workers just give up trying to live a middle-class life while having kids.
    Yep we should cut NI but given that we need to fund social care for pensioners we need money from somewhere because it's utterly insane to borrow money for day to day expenditure.

Now we could cut spending - but where exactly can we do that....
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    edited July 2022
    A large part of the problem we face is that party leaders are being chosen by memberships who are well out of line with public opinion. If we leave Brexit to one side the British public is fairly reasonable in what they are looking for.

'That is a disgrace.'

Fairly or otherwise I fear Liz Truss won't get beyond the Ed Miliband 'weird' problem.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,471
    edited July 2022
    eek said:

eek said:

Corporation tax - she is planning on keeping our existing rate and reversing Sunak's deranged tax increase that was widely condemned here when it was announced.

Ditto NI - she is planning on reverting to the prior rate, not cutting it below that.

As for how it helps, lower corporation tax = more investment = more productivity = faster growth = higher revenues not just in Corporation Tax but higher VAT, higher income tax etc too

Employee/Employer NI don't need cutting, they need abolishing and merging into Income Tax. They are the worst tax we have in this country and it needs to be eliminated, not hiked. Truss's plan to reverse Sunak's hike is a tiny step in the right direction, not a mistake.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Good riddance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Con seats before election = 156

Con seats after election = 2

Quos Deus vult perdere, prius dementat.

That was with 2 separate Parties running in competition though. The combined vote for the Right in that election was 34%.
    Which is, coincidentally, almost precisely what they scored in the last two elections.
  • Leon said:

Well, your over-riding obsession, along with a cranky ethnocentric Scot Nattery, seems to be ME, and that never changes

I often wonder what "Sean" did to Stuart, for him to so relentlessly pursue his vendetta
    dixiedean said:

We appear to have duplicate threads running. Same header different comments.
    Poor old FrankBooth is talking to himself.

I'm back from solitary confinement it would appear.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

My prediction:

I was hoping the ERG would be subject to an election, if they’re so convinced about their strength. Let’s see if they hold their seats
    edited July 2022

Which makes it more likely it was a staffer.

A bitter ex pat Scottish Nationalist called Duart Stickson?
    Funnily enough, as my dripping wet Greek-God-like body was emerging from the sumptuous Eastern Mediterranean yesterday, my thoughts turned to Arsula Undress.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,159

Genuinely there is a scenario here where the Tories get less than 100 seats.

Only with the intervention of a competitor on the Right.

The Tories have a solid basis of about 25-30% of the vote without it, and they'd be very unlikely to drop below 200 seats on current boundaries.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    edited July 2022
    You know what, I can see a weird, perverse long term benefit to the Tories choosing Liz Truss as their leader.

She likely loses the next election, sure, but having a relatively short sharp burst of ERG-backed Trussness leading to a defeat in 2024 at least might spare the Tories The Betrayal Narrative when they fall from power.

We all know it’s coming otherwise - I.e the “we wouldn’t have lost if we had been more Brexity/anti-woke”.

Perhaps it might discredit them enough that the Tories can choose someone sensible in opposition rather than doubling down on the insanity. Might spare them another 13 years in opposition.
    dixiedean said:

My prediction:

OR....

It is hard to believe Ukraine will resolve itself so neatly and cleanly. Putin dies. Russia retreats. Ok..

However, reading the Times today about Putin’s new isolation (the Chinese being frosty) I wonder if he will soon seek a tacit peace. He’s got a land bridge to Crimea. He’s seized a decent chunk of east Ukraine, he’s gained 2m blonde white Slavs to help his demographic crisis. Russia is bigger

He can take all that and consolidate it and easily sell it as victory and the war will grind to a gruesome halt

Quite likely, to my mind. And many around the world will welcome it

You know what, I can see a weird, perverse long term benefit to the Tories choosing Liz Truss as their leader.

She likely loses the next election, sure, but having a relatively short sharp burst of ERG-backed Trussness leading to a defeat in 2024 at least might spare the Tories The Betrayal Narrative when they fall from power.

We all know it’s coming otherwise - I.e the “we wouldn’t have lost if we had been more Brexity/anti-woke/low tax”.

Perhaps it might discredit them enough that the Tories can choose someone sensible in opposition rather than doubling down on the insanity. Might spare them another 13 years in opposition.

I suspect they would go the other way and merely blame Truss for poor presentation skills...
    Not see @Yokes or @Dura_Ace around for a while. I’d like to know what we’re all missing on the Russia-Ukraine front.

eek said:

eek said:

Corporation tax - she is planning on keeping our existing rate and reversing Sunak's deranged tax increase that was widely condemned here when it was announced.

Ditto NI - she is planning on reverting to the prior rate, not cutting it below that.

As for how it helps, lower corporation tax = more investment = more productivity = faster growth = higher revenues not just in Corporation Tax but higher VAT, higher income tax etc too

Employee/Employer NI don't need cutting, they need abolishing and merging into Income Tax. They are the worst tax we have in this country and it needs to be eliminated, not hiked. Truss's plan to reverse Sunak's hike is a tiny step in the right direction, not a mistake.
    The cuts to corporation tax in recent years do not appear to have achieved anything much.

Leon said:

I often wonder what "Sean" did to Stuart, for him to so relentlessly pursue his vendetta
    "Sean" and various reincarnations can be an arse, but he is often entertaining and funny. Stuart is just an arse. I guess the reality of that annoys him
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

My prediction:

OR....

It is hard to believe Ukraine will resolve itself so neatly and cleanly. Putin dies. Russia retreats. Ok..

However, reading the Times today about Putin’s new isolation (the Chinese being frosty) I wonder if he will soon seek a tacit peace. He’s got a land bridge to Crimea. He’s seized a decent chunk of east Ukraine, he’s gained 2m blonde white Slavs to help his demographic crisis. Russia is bigger

He can take all that and consolidate it and easily sell it as victory and the war will grind to a gruesome halt

Quite likely, to my mind. And many around the world will welcome it
    The Ukranians, and their NATO allies, have a very different idea.

Until the Russians all bugger off back to Russia, and contribute a fair amount for the damage they did to Ukraine, the Western sanctions are going nowhere, slowly squeezing the Russian economy and the standard of living of the Russian middle classes.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited July 2022

Er, you think he'd be loyal just because his replacement gave him a cabinet post?

My prediction:

OR....

If the next PM can pull all of that off in two years, a lot of people would take another look at them.

Seems a tiny bit unlikely, though.
  • HYUFD said:

Major - the hiccup
    Blair - Ya stoater!
    Brown - Wipeout man
    Cameron - 28% became 45%
    May - Broken Britain

I would have thought Franco would have been a role model for all you hate-mongering nationalists. Your divisive politics are a lot more Franco-esque than HYUFD. That said jackboots and a kilt probably don't work that well.
    StuartDickson is Polythene Pam and I claim SEK5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0dTdTeHMU

Not see @Yokes or @Dura_Ace around for a while. I’d like to know what we’re all missing on the Russia-Ukraine front.

DA's still on the foul medames for lunch front AFAIK.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    eek said:

FPT

MattW said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

- Penny Mordaunt vowed to turn generation rent into generation buy with interest-free loans for deposits & forcing ALL banks to take rent into account for credit scores

from @hoffman_noa and me

Great so nothing about housing costs, just more bubble inflation. BUILD MORE HOUSES

If you get a loan for your deposit, in what way is that a deposit? It's just an interest free part of your mortgage, surely?

In theory that leaves you with £300 which could be used to rapidly repay the deposit loan...

Now it's possible that if you are paying rent you have enough spare cash to save for a deposit but I doubt it and this approach would provide a means of doing so.

Whether it's sane is a completely different matter but I can see how an interest free deposit could work.

What happens, for example, if the drains need rodding, or windows replacing, or broken rooftiles fixing?

Or the building insurance, or the gas safety certificate and maintenance, or the electrical inspection, or ...

Or as one of my Ts discovered two weeks ago, if Hedge Bindweed swamps everything in a very few days :smile: .

Again - you know that, I know that but the only thing that matters to this Government is keeping house prices propped up because without that we don't actually have that much of an economy.

And given that we have got to the point where people who can manage a deposit have bought a home what we are left with is finding another prop now it's no longer possible for Northern Rock and co to offer 110% mortgages.
    The correct policy should ultimately be for structured interventions to support people with the aspiration and capability to own property (ie maintain it and make the mortgage payments) and who plan to stay in the area they live for several years, to do so without much difficulty or need to save money, be this through a form of subsidy or intervention in local housing markets. Ultimately most people who buy housing do so because of inheritances or parental loans which is unfair and perpetuates inequality, and this could actually be addressed through state intervention. It goes against the Thatcherite instincts of the conservative party, but has become politically necessary.

For people who do not fall within this category, which unfortunately is a lot of people, there needs to be social housing. For people who are more transient, there is the private rental sector.

At least yours is quite predictable.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    eek said:

FPT

MattW said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

from @hoffman_noa and me

Cheers.

You are vaguely in my region, I think?

The current market round here is that normal houses are selling after about 3 days and 6-8 viewings, and a couple of offers. I don't see the market here suffering much if there is a crash - prices are reasonable.

And I'm seeing people moving here from the South or SE, as we (M1J28) have good connections and are part of logistics central.
    edited July 2022

eek said:

eek said:

The cuts to corporation tax in recent years do not appear to have achieved anything much.
    +1 - the basis of the increase in Corporation tax comes from multiple reviews that showed lower rates results in more short term profiteering and less investment. An increased rate with a greater focus on investment allowances would ensure companies actually invest in things rather than pretending to.

So lower corporation tax -> Short term profit maximisation -> less investment -> lower productivity (assets are sweated until death) -> less growth.

As for the evidence of the above just look at our economy since 2000....

• Wait is Stuart a rejoiner too?
    To stop a big Labour lead in seats the Tories need to address the blue wall issue, there is no evidence, anywhere, that Labour are making anything more than sluggish to very modest progress against a death roll government.
  • Has the Forde report just made the Labour factions hate each other even more?

Isn't @Dura_Ace teaching a course in Cairo or somewhere similar?
  • eek said:

What a load of rubbish!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    The winning Conservative formula right here. Not that the party seems to be listening, mind. https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1549694268649922560
    eek said:

Isn't @Dura_Ace teaching a course in Cairo or somewhere similar?
    Yep.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,041
    edited July 2022

To stop a big Labour lead in seats the Tories need to address the blue wall issue, there is no evidence, anywhere, that Labour are making anything more than sluggish to very modest progress against a death roll government.

Truss sadly is likely the kiss of death to Tory MPs in Remain seats in the blue wall, the LDs will be cheering if she wins

A large part of the problem we face is that party leaders are being chosen by memberships who are well out of line with public opinion. If we leave Brexit to one side the British public is fairly reasonable in what they are looking for.

'That is a disgrace.'

Fairly or otherwise I fear Liz Truss won't get beyond the Ed Miliband 'weird' problem.

Ed Miliband looked like Wallace, who is quite an endearing character. Lizzy Lightweight looks like a tortoise who has just eaten a very sour piece of lettuce.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Brains Trust: Is silver a good material for champagne flutes?

(Family member with silver wedding anniversary imminent.)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

If you want to keep up with Ukraine, you might want to follow the ARRSE thread.
    https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/russian-troop-movements-reported-near-ukraine.304396/

That might give you a partial solution to your first point as well. ;)
This discussion has been closed.