Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Support for Brexit drops to new low with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited July 2022 in General
imageSupport for Brexit drops to new low with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

The latest YouGov Brexit tracker is now out and shows that support is down to just 35% – the lowest level yet since the pollster started tracking this after the 2016 Referendum.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1547911588333572097

"Oof. Wrong to leave EU now 53%, a new high, right to leave 35%, a new low. Meanwhile the Tory leadership candidates compete to show their Brexit purity.

The Brexit boat is close to capsizing. The point is rapidly approaching where the consensus is that Brexit is a mistake to be mitigated. The politicians are well behind this curve."

I think he is right.

That's quite a jump in a week. The only thing that might have caused that psychological shift is Boris leaving. Anything else?
    First wave back from euro hols and pissed off about passport queues?

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

"Oof. Wrong to leave EU now 53%, a new high, right to leave 35%, a new low. Meanwhile the Tory leadership candidates compete to show their Brexit purity.

The Brexit boat is close to capsizing. The point is rapidly approaching where the consensus is that Brexit is a mistake to be mitigated. The politicians are well behind this curve."

I think he is right.

That's quite a jump in a week. The only thing that might have caused that psychological shift is Boris leaving. Anything else?

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic
    I suggested passport queues a couple of weeks ago, could be that plus Boris Mr Brexit Johnson doing a runner

This confirms my belief that Starmer - whatever he says now - will come under intense pressure to tack much closer to the EU if and when he makes Number 10. He will yield to this pressure
  • Options
    Make Brexit work seems to be have been a bit of a blinder from Starmer.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,973
    If you add the don't knows to "right" then it's within the range of "right" being competitive if it was put back to another vote. /HYUFD

I note the rightwing radio (Kevin O Sullivan, Hartley Brewer, Jeremy Kyle, Nick Ferrari) crew seem to all want Boris back now...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933
    5th like TT.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,725
    Passport queues situation only just starting given school holidays are still to come, but I assume that's priced in. Everyone knows they have to queue - remainers will blame brexit, brexiteers will blame staff shortages, I can't see it changing anyone's mind except one or two who really thought nothing would change other than immigration stopping.

I wonder if the biggest driver towards "Brexit not working" opinion is the fact that prominent politicians - Brexiteers - have been saying as much, loudly, around the NIP. If the main architects of the deal are complaining it's a bad deal you kind of expect the public to catch on.
  • Options
    Is it possible that whilst Mordaunt may bring back the Blue Wall, the Red Wall who after all backed Boris in the first place are going to decide to abstain?
  • Options
    It is deeply ironic that we may end up rejoining the EU just as it turns into uninhabitable desert, and they all want to move to the blissfully temperate British Isles
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    FPT

Or the public is generally sick and tired of the divisiveness in politics / in general with the EU (who on the whole we need good relations with)

Hence why if the ERG and their love in with Frosty get their way and choose a candidate based on their “purist” Brexit agenda, they will be doomed at the next election
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic
    I suggested passport queues a couple of weeks ago, could be that plus Boris Mr Brexit Johnson doing a runner

This confirms my belief that Starmer - whatever he says now - will come under intense pressure to tack much closer to the EU if and when he makes Number 10. He will yield to this pressure
    If polling remains at this level, something's gotta give

I am slightly hopeful of an unwind to 2016 when we didn't know what we wanted but we mainly, I think, thought that Norway EEA EFTA whatevs *was* Brexit, before that demented cow started giving it the BREXIT MEAN'S BREXIT red white n blue stuff. Question is who has the skill to arrange this without giving the game away. Answer doesn't look obvious.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,534
    In Special Operation news.

Putin has finally given Dmitry Rogozin (head of Russian space program) the boot.

Form an orderly queue to the trampoline, to celebrate.....
  • Options

Is it possible that whilst Mordaunt may bring back the Blue Wall, the Red Wall who after all backed Boris in the first place are going to decide to abstain?

If she goes for a big cut in fuel duty the red wall will be all ears.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Brexit & Boris = Brit Buyers' Remorse
  • Options
    TimS said:

Passport queues situation only just starting given school holidays are still to come, but I assume that's priced in. Everyone knows they have to queue - remainers will blame brexit, brexiteers will blame staff shortages, I can't see it changing anyone's mind except one or two who really thought nothing would change other than immigration stopping.

I wonder if the biggest driver towards "Brexit not working" opinion is the fact that prominent politicians - Brexiteers - have been saying as much, loudly, around the NIP. If the main architects of the deal are complaining it's a bad deal you kind of expect the public to catch on.

It may just be because the word Brexit is still in the news

if Brexit is still a word with currency, Brexit is not "done", therefore it has been a failure. Something like that, perhaps
  • Options

MaxPB said:

With my hindsight vision enabled, personally I would have basically done very little to halt COVID in the UK. I have now come to realise that the old people for whom we burned through £400bn to save the lives are bunch of ungrateful bastards and will continue to screw every last penny out of working age people until they die. If a few hundred thousand extra had snuffed it then it would have solved the care crisis, the NHS crisis, pensions overhang and freed up hundreds of thousands of homes for working age people, and we wouldn't have spent £400bn to keep them alive. My generation and my daughter's generation wouldn't be facing decades of high taxes for it and we'd have a lot of fiscal headroom.

If they weren't so ungrateful I'd maybe feel differently about it, but all I see is the old wankers we ruined two years of our lives for, spend £400bn on saving rinse generations below them for all we're worth so they can live forever with their hands in our pockets.

If your life was 'ruined' by the Covid rules for two years, then I'd argue it might be a problem with your 'life'. The Covid restrictions were sh*t, but there was still lots to do. True, it might not be quite what you would ordinarily do, but there was still stuff to do. Heck, I had a five/six-year old to homeschool, and I don't appear to have found it as a challenging as you.

And if it saved a few hundred thousand people (not just oldies either), then fair enough. Especially for the first lockdown, where we were unsure what the heck we were facing. Sometimes you just have to knuckle down and get on with things.

I really don't understand how you can say your life was 'ruined'. And before you say, I like going out. I like doing things. I like visiting places. But when I could not do these, I adapted. I even found some new things I enjoyed.
    I'm actually quite an insular person. My favourite hobbies are things like knitting and walking, which weren't affected by lockdown. I expected to sail through it. There were a few jokes along the lines of, "this is what we've been training for."

But it really was monumentally awful. I find it so much harder to leave the house at all now. And I was lucky in where I spent my lockdowns and with whom. I don't think it does to underestimate the sacrifice made.

And then there really should be a quid pro quo for such sacrifices, given the age profile of who the disease killed. But Max is right. Not only did the young give up their freedom to save the old, they're now being expected to pay for the privilege.

I don't go as far as Max and day that I'd kill all the old if I had my time in the pandemic over again. But I can't disagree that the old are talking the piss.
    I'm sorry you went through that, but my argument is with use of the word 'ruined'. The people whose lives were ruined were those who died, or who lost loved ones. Max, you and I still have our lives.

As an aside, we were blooming lucky during this pandemic in one regard: it did not affect the young as much. Imagine how much more hideous it would have been if the ambulances had been filled with people under 18, rather than those over 50.
    Utter bollocks.

Deaths are natural, especially deaths of the sick, infirm and old which is who Covid targetted.

There are fates worse than death. There are actions worse than death.

Covid restrictions like closing schools harmed the education of children, many of them will never get the opportunity to get that back.

I'm lucky my children were young. Lockdown measures greatly restricted their education, but they've got a chance to catch that up. I've been working hard with my girls, as have their school, to catch up on the disruption but many don't have that opportunity. Disrupted education could be affecting people's lives for the rest of their life, for decades to come. Some people will live with that for the next seventy or eighty years.

That is far worse than someone in their 80s or 90s reaching the end of their natural life, from natural causes, which is what Covid is.

If we'd allowed Covid to take its course and put £400bn into education etc instead of keeping the extremely old and vulnerable alive a little bit longer while closing schools, then the country would be far better off for it. Harsh but true.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

I always thought that more difficult movement on holidays would convince the Great Insular Public that Brexit was a "Bad Thing" ™ They do not like holiday queues, extra charges, etc. They probably also do not like being told that they are now "Forriners" as far as the EU is concerned.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041

Make Brexit work seems to be have been a bit of a blinder from Starmer.

At the same time the British people have realised that Brexit is an almighty ckusterf*ck, Starmer is droning on about “Brexit means Brexit”. The guy has zero political instinct. He may be a decent guy, but a hopeless politician.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    The village upper school are apparently having a bit of a party, for the second day running. I can hear the kids singing along to "We are the Champions" through my open window - and we're about half a mile away.

Goodness knows how the kids in the primary school next door are managing in their lessons...
  • Options
    Leon said:

It is deeply ironic that we may end up rejoining the EU just as it turns into uninhabitable desert, and they all want to move to the blissfully temperate British Isles

Indeed the blissfully temperate, 40C in the shade, British isles.

Though therein lies an incentive for the EU to encourage Scottish accession. Habitable climate, sufficiently above sea level later in the century, given they don't have Norway or Iceland, and Sweden and Finland still get mega heatwaves. Otherwise Ireland would be the only outpost.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,495
    Pulpstar said:

If you add the don't knows to "right" then it's within the range of "right" being competitive if it was put back to another vote. /HYUFD

I note the rightwing radio (Kevin O Sullivan, Hartley Brewer, Jeremy Kyle, Nick Ferrari) crew seem to all want Boris back now...

Didn’t take long for him to be the hard-done-by visionary pushed out by the vested interests.

Britain Trump strikes again.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Support for the Scottish Conservatives drops to new low with YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

London
    Lab 55%
    Con 26%
    LD 11%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 35%
    Lab 30%
    LD 19%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 10%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 5%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 52%
    Con 24%
    LD 10%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 24%
    Con 14%
    LD 9%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 2%

(YouGov/The Times; Sample Size: 1733; Fieldwork: 13th - 14th July 2022)
  • Options

The village upper school are apparently having a bit of a party, for the second day running. I can hear the kids singing along to "We are the Champions" through my open window - and we're about half a mile away.

Goodness knows how the kids in the primary school next door are managing in their lessons...

The Queen anthem or the Ron Pickering gameshow theme tune?
  • Options
    TimS said:

People are frivolous, fickle and unimaginative (at least I am, and I'm generalising). Mentally "pricing in" queueing is a very different thing from actually experiencing queueing, esp in UAE heat levels in understaffed airports. But yes the fact that NIP is rubbish is key.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,534
    Pulpstar said:

Differential fuel duty. Only available to those with postcodes on their Driving licences outside....

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,363
    edited July 2022
    It’s an irrelevant question if discussing the future rather than the past. The only relevant question now, in that context, is whether people are in favour of rejoining.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Surely someone has to say it at the hustings tonight?

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

(At her launch, Penny suggested cutting VAT on petrol in half. Which does nothing for the hauliers).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    What the new government has to achieve is not only a reset in the standards of public life (although that is priority 1) but a reset of our relations with the EU. Negotiations should be constructive and intended to reduce the friction brought into the relationship both practically and politically.

Some, yes @BartholomewRoberts I am referring to you, will think this weak but I don't see it that way. Boris did get Brexit done, what he failed to achieve was to make it work. That is the job of his replacement.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Leon said:

Yeah, because things in Europe are going just great right now.

Our press is UK obsessed and doesn't give a f8ck about Europe since we left except how easy it is to go on holiday.

• Options

MaxPB said:

With my hindsight vision enabled, personally I would have basically done very little to halt COVID in the UK. I have now come to realise that the old people for whom we burned through £400bn to save the lives are bunch of ungrateful bastards and will continue to screw every last penny out of working age people until they die. If a few hundred thousand extra had snuffed it then it would have solved the care crisis, the NHS crisis, pensions overhang and freed up hundreds of thousands of homes for working age people, and we wouldn't have spent £400bn to keep them alive. My generation and my daughter's generation wouldn't be facing decades of high taxes for it and we'd have a lot of fiscal headroom.

If they weren't so ungrateful I'd maybe feel differently about it, but all I see is the old wankers we ruined two years of our lives for, spend £400bn on saving rinse generations below them for all we're worth so they can live forever with their hands in our pockets.

If your life was 'ruined' by the Covid rules for two years, then I'd argue it might be a problem with your 'life'. The Covid restrictions were sh*t, but there was still lots to do. True, it might not be quite what you would ordinarily do, but there was still stuff to do. Heck, I had a five/six-year old to homeschool, and I don't appear to have found it as a challenging as you.

And if it saved a few hundred thousand people (not just oldies either), then fair enough. Especially for the first lockdown, where we were unsure what the heck we were facing. Sometimes you just have to knuckle down and get on with things.

I really don't understand how you can say your life was 'ruined'. And before you say, I like going out. I like doing things. I like visiting places. But when I could not do these, I adapted. I even found some new things I enjoyed.
    I'm actually quite an insular person. My favourite hobbies are things like knitting and walking, which weren't affected by lockdown. I expected to sail through it. There were a few jokes along the lines of, "this is what we've been training for."

But it really was monumentally awful. I find it so much harder to leave the house at all now. And I was lucky in where I spent my lockdowns and with whom. I don't think it does to underestimate the sacrifice made.

And then there really should be a quid pro quo for such sacrifices, given the age profile of who the disease killed. But Max is right. Not only did the young give up their freedom to save the old, they're now being expected to pay for the privilege.

I don't go as far as Max and day that I'd kill all the old if I had my time in the pandemic over again. But I can't disagree that the old are talking the piss.
    I'm sorry you went through that, but my argument is with use of the word 'ruined'. The people whose lives were ruined were those who died, or who lost loved ones. Max, you and I still have our lives.

As an aside, we were blooming lucky during this pandemic in one regard: it did not affect the young as much. Imagine how much more hideous it would have been if the ambulances had been filled with people under 18, rather than those over 50.
    Utter bollocks.

Deaths are natural, especially deaths of the sick, infirm and old which is who Covid targetted.

Covid restrictions like closing schools harmed the education of children, many of them will never get the opportunity to get that back.

I'm lucky my children were young. Lockdown measures greatly restricted their education, but they've got a chance to catch that up. I've been working hard with my girls, as have their school, to catch up on the disruption but many don't have that opportunity. Disrupted education could be affecting people's lives for the rest of their life, for decades to come. Some people will live with that for the next seventy or eighty years.

That is far worse than someone in their 80s or 90s reaching the end of their natural life, from natural causes, which is what Covid is.

If we'd allowed Covid to take its course and put £400bn into education etc instead of keeping the extremely old and vulnerable alive a little bit longer while closing schools, then the country would be far better off for it. Harsh but true.
    I would argue that your position lacks compassion, humanity and even common sense.

You are utterly wrong on this, but I doubt I will convince you, or you will convince me. ;)
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited July 2022

MaxPB said:

Utter bollocks.

I would argue that your position lacks compassion, humanity and even common sense.

You are utterly wrong on this, but I doubt I will convince you, or you will convince me. ;)
    I would argue that I have more compassion for children and their future than I do for those in their 80s and 90s who have lived their lives to the full anyway already.

I think that is the common sense and humane position too.

Fucking over children in order to help those who have already lived their lives, is not common sense, and it is not humane.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

(At her launch, Penny suggested cutting VAT on petrol in half. Which does nothing for the hauliers).
    Helps the average man on the street.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Pulpstar said:

... to sort out Brexit ? :smile:
  • Options

Support for the Scottish Conservatives drops to new low with YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples:

London
    Lab 55%
    Con 26%
    LD 11%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 35%
    Lab 30%
    LD 19%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 10%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 5%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 52%
    Con 24%
    LD 10%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 24%
    Con 14%
    LD 9%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 2%

Seats?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

5th like TT.

Don't be a tit...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

Oh for the days when kites flown on PB were all too often announced as government policy a few days later.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

83% of current LAB voters in latest YouGov say Brexit wrong. Starmer is getting out of line with his voters
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

Helps the average man on the street.
    But does little for inflation - which feeds into the public sector pay rises, and their own transport costs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

... to sort out Brexit ? :smile:
    An unhealthy amount of the Brexit vote does seem to be personally invested in Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited July 2022
    DavidL said:

What the new government has to achieve is not only a reset in the standards of public life (although that is priority 1) but a reset of our relations with the EU. Negotiations should be constructive and intended to reduce the friction brought into the relationship both practically and politically.

Some, yes @BartholomewRoberts I am referring to you, will think this weak but I don't see it that way. Boris did get Brexit done, what he failed to achieve was to make it work. That is the job of his replacement.

I actually agree, but I hold a firm line on negotiations.

Negotiations can only work if you are prepared to see the talks fail if you don't get what you want.

If you aren't prepared to see negotiations fail, then you might as well just walk up to the other party and say "what do you want" and not even bother negotiating.

Truss is showing a good way of how to do that. Hold the olive branch of negotiations, but with a Plan B of unilateral solutions if negotiations fail.

PS I think Brexit does work. What doesn't work is the NI Protocol, but that was always supposed to be temporary and replaced anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

I am slightly hopeful of an unwind to 2016 when we didn't know what we wanted but we mainly, I think, thought that Norway EEA EFTA whatevs *was* Brexit, before that demented cow started giving it the BREXIT MEAN'S BREXIT red white n blue stuff. Question is who has the skill to arrange this without giving the game away. Answer doesn't look obvious.
    Mr Meeks is right that the political classes are late to the game

Starmer, if he is canny (really not sure he is) should go on the front foot. Say "there are clearly misgivings about the kind of Brexit we have, we are not rejoining but the single market is an option, I will ask the people blah blah"

More potently, I reckon the Brexit regret will prove a temporary window,: a window which will eventually close

Brexit WILL settle down and mentally bed in, and the idea of getting closer to the EU or submitting to the ECJ in any way, will become ludicrous.

So the Remainers don't have long to move. A few years

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    biggles said:

It’s an irrelevant question if discussing the future rather than the past. The only relevant question now, in that context, is whether people are in favour of rejoining.

Well, the polling on Rejoin is pretty good.

Not that it is going to be on the table, at least in England this GE, but very likely to be in the one after that.

I do wonder if we are in a chicken and egg situation. Is Brexit unpopular because the Tories are? Or are the Tories unpopular because of Brexit? Or possibly in a feedback loop where the Tories pander ever more to Brexit purists, who then drag the party further into obscurantism?
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

83% of current LAB voters in latest YouGov say Brexit wrong. Starmer is getting out of line with his voters
    Big opportunity for the lib dems then?
  • Options
    In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?

Righttoleave Wrongtoleave Don'tknow

Scotland 24 65 11 (-41)
    London 25 65 10 (-40)
    North 35 51 13 (-16)
    Rest of South 40 50 10 (-10)
    Midlands and Wales 39 47 13 (-8)

GB 35 53 11 (-18)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

He needs people which didn't vote Labour to become labour voters to be PM. I fully expect him to have a different tone if he gets to be PM
  • Options
    Personally I think we should either

i. Leave the ECHR (YEs yes I know it's not part of the EU)
    or
    ii. Join the Euro.

Perhaps do both :D not sure that'd be allowed by the powers that be though...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    England manager Sarina Wiegman has tested positive for Covid prior to the team's final group game against Northern Ireland on Friday.
  • Options

London
    Lab 55%
    Con 26%
    LD 11%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 35%
    Lab 30%
    LD 19%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 10%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 5%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 52%
    Con 24%
    LD 10%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 24%
    Con 14%
    LD 9%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 2%

Seats?
    New boundaries:

SNP 53 seats (+5)
    SLab 2 seats (+1)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

(Baxter)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

I'm one of those 83% who think Brexit was wrong. But Brexit has happened, and can't be undone except in the (very) long term. So Starmer's acceptance of Brexit isn't out of line with what I think. We're not rejoining in the foreseeable future, so let's make it work better.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,119
    Leon said:

More potently, I reckon the Brexit regret will prove a temporary window,: a window which will eventually close

Brexit WILL settle down and mentally bed in, and the idea of getting closer to the EU or submitting to the ECJ in any way, will become ludicrous.

Spectacularly wrong.

The Brexit wrong numbers are only going up.

The sick man of Europe will be begging for ever closer union, again.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

Oh for the days when kites flown on PB were all too often announced as government policy a few days later.
    It’s the sort of thing that tells me Kemi is right to want wholesale reform of the Treasury and the way it operates.

Any sane Treasury, tasked with finding easy ways to help with CoL and inflation, would have picked up on fuel duty immediately - except that they’re all totally committed to Net Zero dogma, and they all get the train to work. Fuel duty barely affects any of them on a day-to-day basis.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the country, millions of people are trying to work out how to buy petrol and food this month.

I can see this from 3,500 miles away.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

Starmer, if he is canny (really not sure he is) should go on the front foot. Say "there are clearly misgivings about the kind of Brexit we have, we are not rejoining but the single market is an option, I will ask the people blah blah"

But it's not just remainers. I gave my vote away and don't know how I would have voted left to myself, but if I had voted leave I would have regarded Norway/whatev as what I voted for. Plenty of room for fudge here.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Though therein lies an incentive for the EU to encourage Scottish accession. Habitable climate, sufficiently above sea level later in the century, given they don't have Norway or Iceland, and Sweden and Finland still get mega heatwaves. Otherwise Ireland would be the only outpost.
    Don’t forget our water. We’ll be charging through the nose for it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,405
    Pulpstar said:

Given that even the government have been trashing their own Brexit deal, it's not outlandish to suppose there would be more shy Brexit supporters than opponents.

I don't see this being a decisive sea-change yet. Come back to me when Brexit wrong is at two-thirds.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

On the contrary, the move is very much in the other direction. Politicians cannot ignore polling like this forever, or at least not if they want to win an election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

I thought you were telling us all morning that we were about to boil in our own blood?
    Maybe the forecast for the afternoon is for cooler weather?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Negotiations can only work if you are prepared to see the talks fail if you don't get what you want.
    I do not think that is correct, certainly for more complex negotiations. If the point is sum X then maybe but a trading relationship is far more subtle and complicated than that. A more constructive approach is to work to find win win solutions to the issues that arise and find ways of improving the current status quo. This does not involve emphasising red lines, or what is not acceptable but focusing on what is.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

I'm one of those 83% who think Brexit was wrong. But Brexit has happened, and can't be undone except in the (very) long term. So Starmer's acceptance of Brexit isn't out of line with what I think. We're not rejoining in the foreseeable future, so let's make it work better.
    I am the same as you.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

Some of these polls are stupid.

"Brexit wrong" - what does that mean?

If I interpreted it as "Was the Brexit referendum a mistake" I'd say "Yes". If I interpreted it as "Do I want us to rejoin without knowing the terms" (rebate? Currency?) I'd say "hell no".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,114
    So 35% still think Brexit was right, significantly higher than the current Tory voteshare.

When even Starmer knows he cannot say Brexit was wrong otherwise he loses the redwall seats to the Tories and has zero chance of becoming PM, there is zero chance of the Tories saying Brexit was wrong.

Given 47% do not want to rejoin the EU with Redfield either and 2/3 of constituencies voted Leave no chance of that changing

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1543321577181380609?s=20&t=keB0NiY2sw9i0pDnfb4Bgg
  • Options
    I’m at my mate’s where I’ve been helping with gardening again (I’ve been here pretty much every weekend since I got home from my holiday in April) and I realised I hadn’t delighted you all with a report on my progress for a while

The potatoes and onions have grown well and are now being eaten; there should be enough to last until at least the end of September. We’ve also got fifteen tomato plants that have all got their first fruit nearly ready, thirty pea plants that we’ve had a load of mange tout from and some peas nearly there, three kinds of courgette (two each of normal, yellow and “8-ball”), about a hundred spring onions, and ten runner beans. We’ve also got various salad leaves, a couple of cucumbers and a few kinds of squash/pumpkin that I didn’t bother getting pictures of.

I’d suggest MorrisDancing if anyone wants to reply to me to avoid repeating the photos!

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

London
    Lab 55%
    Con 26%
    LD 11%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 1%

Rest of South
    Con 35%
    Lab 30%
    LD 19%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Midlands and Wales
    Lab 40%
    Con 34%
    LD 10%
    Ref 6%
    Grn 5%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 52%
    Con 24%
    LD 10%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 24%
    Con 14%
    LD 9%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 2%

Seats?
    New boundaries:

SNP 53 seats (+5)
    SLab 2 seats (+1)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

(Baxter)
    Snigger
  • Options
    House adds roadblock to Biden's plan to sell U.S. fighter jets to Turkey

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/14/house-adds-roadblock-to-bidens-quest-to-sell-u-s-fighter-jets-to-turkey-00045825
    ...It’s the latest dent in a potential sale of the Lockheed Martin-built jets to Ankara. Senate Foreign Relations Chair Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), one of the four top lawmakers who must sign off on weapons sales to foreign nations, is refusing to back the transfer.

The dual hurdles make it nearly impossible for Biden to follow through on selling the fighters to the NATO ally as lawmakers express exasperation over Ankara’s purchase of advanced Russian equipment, violating the territory of its neighbours and its drift toward autocracy under President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan...

This is not going to make Erdogan happy, after he was persuaded to back down on NATO membership for Sweden and Finland.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

It’s the sort of thing that tells me Kemi is right to want wholesale reform of the Treasury and the way it operates.

Any sane Treasury, tasked with finding easy ways to help with CoL and inflation, would have picked up on fuel duty immediately - except that they’re all totally committed to Net Zero dogma, and they all get the train to work. Fuel duty barely affects any of them on a day-to-day basis.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the country, millions of people are trying to work out how to buy petrol and food this month.

Man in the Middle East says the solution is to burn more hydrocarbons! Who'dd thunk it??? :D:D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    @margbrennan
    President Biden while standing in East Jerusalem: “…the background of my family is Irish American. And we have a long history not fundamentally unlike the Palestinian people, with Great Britain and their attitude toward Irish Catholics over the years for 400 years.”

https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/1547902247513645061
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

If Starmer says Brexit was wrong and wants to rejoin the EU and EEA and restore free movement, the redwall seats fall back into the lap of say new Tory PM Mordaunt and the Tories win a historic and unprecedented 5th general election victory
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,753
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,351
    edited July 2022
    As widely predicted, the demise of the clown due to his lying has blown back onto his biggest lie of all.
  • Options

I’m at my mate’s where I’ve been helping with gardening again (I’ve been here pretty much every weekend since I got home from my holiday in April) and I realised I hadn’t delighted you all with a report on my progress for a while

The potatoes and onions have grown well and are now being eaten; there should be enough to last until at least the end of September. We’ve also got fifteen tomato plants that have all got their first fruit nearly ready, thirty pea plants that we’ve had a load of mange tout from and some peas nearly there, three kinds of courgette (two each of normal, yellow and “8-ball”), about a hundred spring onions, and ten runner beans. We’ve also got various salad leaves, a couple of cucumbers and a few kinds of squash/pumpkin that I didn’t bother getting pictures of.

I’d suggest MorrisDancing if anyone wants to reply to me to avoid repeating the photos!

looking good

you just have to bugger up the html
  • Options

@margbrennan
    President Biden while standing in East Jerusalem: “…the background of my family is Irish American. And we have a long history not fundamentally unlike the Palestinian people, with Great Britain and their attitude toward Irish Catholics over the years for 400 years.”

At this stage he is just a clumsy, demented idiot, offending everyone and pleasing no one. My god
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

If Starmer says Brexit was wrong and wants to rejoin the EU and EEA and restore free movement, the redwall seats fall back into the lap of say new Tory PM Mordaunt and the Tories win a historic and unprecedented 5th general election victory
    Not necessarily
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I do not think that is correct, certainly for more complex negotiations. If the point is sum X then maybe but a trading relationship is far more subtle and complicated than that. A more constructive approach is to work to find win win solutions to the issues that arise and find ways of improving the current status quo. This does not involve emphasising red lines, or what is not acceptable but focusing on what is.
    Win/wins are nice to have and should be maximised, but not every problem can be solved by a win/win.

And if one party takes a maximalist position, while the other party says they're not prepared to see talks fail, then the party that isn't prepared to walk away will be screwed by the one that is.

Ultimately both sides taking equivalently maximalist positions is what is needed to allow win/wins to be maximised and losses to be minimised and shared equitably as both parties decide what they really care about and compromise on things that aren't their priority.

Which is why Frost's negotiations were such a success and Robbins' ones were such a failure.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

Some of these polls are stupid.

"Brexit wrong" - what does that mean?

If I interpreted it as "Was the Brexit referendum a mistake" I'd say "Yes". If I interpreted it as "Do I want us to rejoin without knowing the terms" (rebate? Currency?) I'd say "hell no".
    Only the first is the natural meaning

Rejoin is a red herring, some kind of norway or switzerland deal is not.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Russia'a sanctioned oil is finding its way to some strange places.

https://twitter.com/PeterZeihan/status/1547893337989922816
    Sanctions are making some very weird things possible. Saudi is buying Russian crude at a huge discount to BURN FOR POWER and then exporting their own to Europe.

Though in this case, that's not perverse in terms of their intended effect.
  • Options

@margbrennan

So he insults the Israelis and the Brits in one statement, 2 of the closest allies for the USA, even Trump wasn't that stupid
  • Options
    Leon said:

@margbrennan

At this stage he is just a clumsy, demented idiot, offending everyone and pleasing no one. My god
    And he's still acceptable under the circumstances.
  • Options
    We will never rejoin.

EEA yes.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Leon said:

@margbrennan

What a bizarre comment from Biden. He really can’t be left to run again
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

Don’t forget our water. We’ll be charging through the nose for it.
    Sweden is going to sell us water?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

On the contrary, the move is very much in the other direction. Politicians cannot ignore polling like this forever, or at least not if they want to win an election.

Its clear, surely, that Yougov and others have problems reaching brexit voters. On the eve of the 2016 vote the polls showed a comfortable remain victory, right? Remain then lost, and in England they lost handily.

Starmer is where he is because he knows this, as all serious politicians know it.

• Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think he is right.

Or outlier of course.
    FPT because on topic

Yes, I agree. I can't work out whether he is being stupid or mendacious

If he reaches power he will shift towards a much more pro-EU stance, willingly or not
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/14/house-adds-roadblock-to-bidens-quest-to-sell-u-s-fighter-jets-to-turkey-00045825
    ...It’s the latest dent in a potential sale of the Lockheed Martin-built jets to Ankara. Senate Foreign Relations Chair Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), one of the four top lawmakers who must sign off on weapons sales to foreign nations, is refusing to back the transfer.

The dual hurdles make it nearly impossible for Biden to follow through on selling the fighters to the NATO ally as lawmakers express exasperation over Ankara’s purchase of advanced Russian equipment, violating the territory of its neighbours and its drift toward autocracy under President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan...

This is not going to make Erdogan happy, after he was persuaded to back down on NATO membership for Sweden and Finland.

Some of that 'advanced Russian equipment' are S-400 SAM systems. The same system that (allegedly) the Russians are pi**ed off about because it cannot shoot down HIMARS shells.

Erdogan might have bought a pup...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    Just come out of a meeting and turned on the LBC debate. After 5 minutes I have learned Fizzy Lizzy is hell bent on starting WW3.

Tugs' says Labour have been planning on concreting over the nation to resolve the housing crisis.

Mordaunt on now. She is very tongue tied and vague. Bored now.

Badenoch on housing. She is way the most articulate save for Rishi Rich. She's very good, shame she is a rabid right wing nutcase. She's boring me now too.

Liz Truss on housing she wants more high rise, but more practical than the rest.

Rishy Rich wants brown field and urban density and modular building. He is head and shoulders more impressive in presentation than ALL the rest. Very critical of how crap Labour housing policy has been in the last decade, housing will be much better under Richy Rich.

So for fluency it has to be Richy, Kemi, Fizzy, Penny and Tom TIT. Penny very disappointing.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

Man in the Middle East says the solution is to burn more hydrocarbons! Who'dd thunk it??? :D:D
    Not burn more hydrocarbons, burn the same amount of hydrocarbons but at a cheaper price.

Estimates of the price elasticity of demand for petrol are around 1.1 - that is that the doubling of the price results in only 10% drop in demand. Nothing else, apart from perhaps cigarettes, is so price inelastic.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,351
    Seven photos of vegetables in one post??
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@margbrennan

So he insults the Israelis and the Brits in one statement, 2 of the closest allies for the USA, even Trump wasn't that stupid
    I think he probably insulted the Palestinians as well. And the Irish. Impressive
  • Options

Just come out of a meeting and turned on the LBC debate. After 5 minutes I have learned Fizzy Lizzy is hell bent on starting WW3.

Tugs' says Labour have been planning on concreting over the nation to resolve the housing crisis.

Badenoch on housing. She is way the most articulate save for Rishi Rich. She's very good, shame she is a rabid right wing nutcase. She's boring me now too.

Liz Truss on housing she wants more high rise, but more practical than the rest.

Rishy Rich wants brown field and urban density and modular building. He is head and shoulders more impressive in presentation than ALL the rest. Very critical of how crap Labour housing policy has been in the last decade, housing will be much better under Richy Rich.

So for fluency it has to be Richy, Kemi, Fizzy, Penny and Tom TIT. Penny very disappointing.

I do wonder if after all this the membership realise Rishi is actually half competent and might be better sticking with him.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

FUEL DUTY, you idiots.

Not burn more hydrocarbons, burn the same amount of hydrocarbons but at a cheaper price.

Estimates of the price elasticity of demand for petrol are around 1.1 - that is that the doubling of the price results in only 10% drop in demand. Nothing else, apart from perhaps cigarettes, is so price inelastic.
    If the price goes down, the burn goes up. 'Twas ever thus...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Some of that 'advanced Russian equipment' are S-400 SAM systems. The same system that (allegedly) the Russians are pi**ed off about because it cannot shoot down HIMARS shells.

Erdogan might have bought a pup...
    The S-400 is failing badly against the HIMARS. Which is hillarious, because each S400 defence rocket is an order of magnitide more expensive than the rockets the enemy is facing. They’ll be out of them soon enough, chasing rainbows.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Win/wins are nice to have and should be maximised, but not every problem can be solved by a win/win.

And if one party takes a maximalist position, while the other party says they're not prepared to see talks fail, then the party that isn't prepared to walk away will be screwed by the one that is.

Ultimately both sides taking equivalently maximalist positions is what is needed to allow win/wins to be maximised and losses to be minimised and shared equitably as both parties decide what they really care about and compromise on things that aren't their priority.

Which is why Frost's negotiations were such a success and Robbins' ones were such a failure.
    Frost's negotiations which resulted in the NI protocol? Those negotiations?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    HYUFD said:

@margbrennan

It's a common view among Irish nationalists and their US supporters - undiplomatic to Israel and Britain, as you say, but not a sign of senility.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@margbrennan

It's a common view among Irish nationalists and their US supporters - undiplomatic to Israel and Britain, as you say, but not a sign of senility.
    I've only ever encountered it amongst pretty extreme Sinn Fein/IRA types. And for a president to blurt out IRA opinions about Palestine is, yes, a form of senility, especially if he is doing it in Israel
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Russia'a sanctioned oil is finding its way to some strange places.

https://twitter.com/PeterZeihan/status/1547893337989922816
    Sanctions are making some very weird things possible. Saudi is buying Russian crude at a huge discount to BURN FOR POWER and then exporting their own to Europe.

Though in this case, that's not perverse in terms of their intended effect.

Biden is going there to beg them to open up the taps a bit more. I think I see a possible solution here, very real politik, not quite what was promised to Ukraine.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Frost's negotiations which resulted in the NI protocol? Those negotiations?
    Yes. The NI Protocol was an infinitely better solution than the backstop, and was designed with safeguards and with methods that allowed it to be replaced in the future.

A far saner solution than Theresa May's batshit crazy solution of tying us to a legal system we'd have no say in writing, no politicians elected to, no unilateral way out of and in the extremely unlikely event we ever tore it up we'd need a no deal Brexit jump into the unknown to get out of.

Thank goodness we got the NI Protocol instead. Infinitely superior.
  • Options

@margbrennan

Wow, he's a worse historian than @Morris_Dancer .

(apologies, MD.)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

@margbrennan

I think he probably insulted the Palestinians as well. And the Irish. Impressive
    Only ones Biden is "insulting" are neo-Blimpist snowflakes.

But nice try at attempting to create a faux-gaffe.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

@margbrennan

Only ones Biden is "insulting" are neo-Blimpist snowflakes.

But nice try at attempting to create a faux-gaffe.
    It's an enormous gaffe
  • Options
    Leon said:

@margbrennan

We should recall our Ambassador and suggest that their's takes a walk. Bloody cheek. Maybe the way Americans treat and treated their black minority over the last 300 years would have been a better analogy?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    TimS said:

I do wonder if after all this the membership realise Rishi is actually half competent and might be better sticking with him.
    Sunak far more impressive than the rest in the ten minutes I heard. The summary said Fizzy has promised gazillions in tax cuts and extra spending. Most expensive zoom call in history according to Times Political correspondent.
This discussion has been closed.