Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kaboom! Javid resigns once more, but is he first of many? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

Some Tory MPs now speculating Boris might try to bring recess forward to head off new contest.

He can't. It is a vote in Commons is my understanding
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Heathener said:

I reckon Priti Patel might also resign?

I think she has looked thoroughly pissed off with Johnson.

I wouldn't now rule out Sunak for the top spot. @BartholomewRoberts would be very pleased!

Hence the reference to having opposed him privately, in his letter
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Peston says Sunak and Javid weren't coordinating with each other on this. Though I'm not convinced by that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

It's barely 2.5 years since the GE, which he won handsomely. Covid disrupted his intended plans, but also meant 'normal' politics was more or less suspended.

How the heck has he gotten himself in a position where a majority of backbenchers and now many in the Cabinet want him out? No one who wins that big should make themselves so vulnerable.

It's worse than that: a year ago the Conservatives were well ahead of Labour. The blows that have laid him low were totally self-inflicted, and also the sort of stuff that got him in trouble *before* he became PM.

The only surprising this about his fall is people's evident surprise that it happened this way. The Garden Bridge debacle showed many of the same character flaws that have led him to this position.
    Handed a 20% lead, and delivered a catastrophe. I'm sure his publishers can handle it.
    I'd be more interested in Mrs J's memoirs.
    Heading South, by Lady Goldsmith
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Looks like the end. What the hell took them so long? It's not as though we've learnt anything about Boris this week that we didn't know last month, or last year, or in 2019 when he was chosen as leader.

Still, it's progress. Getting rid of him is the necessary first stage - but only the first stage - of putting things right.

Yes, back to opposition, probably for at least a decade if not more.

Last time the Tories toppled an election winning PM, Thatcher in 1990, they lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and it took them until Boris in 2019 to win a big majority again
    Johnson is not Thatcher.

He's a corrupt twat who has no compunction about burning the Conservative Party to the ground, in order to cling to office a few days longer.

He has no loyalty to the Conservative Party, and they should have none to him.
    This is the real problem for the party now imho. Thatcher DID step aside and that meant John Major could go on to win, famously, in 1992 with the largest vote by any party in British history. I mention that last bit for HY's benefit.

So does Johnson drag down the party now? Or give them at least a fighting chance at the next GE?
  • Options

Source close to Jacob Rees-Mogg confirms he is NOT quitting Cabinet

"Jacob is standing firm with the PM"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1544371083503190017

He will promote Dorries to chancellor and Rees-Mogg to Heath
    Other way around. Nad was a nurse, whereas Mogg always had a nurse at his beg and call.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Too late, you worthless khunts. I'm still voting SNP at the next election.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Good evening, everyone.

If you say F1 you'll never dance again!

But a very good evening to you young dancer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Looks like the end. What the hell took them so long? It's not as though we've learnt anything about Boris this week that we didn't know last month, or last year, or in 2019 when he was chosen as leader.

Still, it's progress. Getting rid of him is the necessary first stage - but only the first stage - of putting things right.

Last time the Tories toppled an election winning PM, Thatcher in 1990, they lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and it took them until Boris in 2019 to win a big majority again
    Maybe by then you will have learned to put the country’s health and prosperity ahead of your party’s narrow and petty political obsessions?
    I am a conservative because I believe Toryism is in the country's best interests, you aren't because you don't.

The Conservatives won a majority of 80 in 2019 under Boris with a 5 year mandate, you didn't, tough

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,925
    Zahawi gone under ground it would seem - everyone struggling to get hold of his team
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544374620949733378
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    A blast from the past: PM clings to power after two cabinet resignations

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:

Oh, I think it's very likely that the Conservatives will be very, very unpopular for a long time. But you're putting the blame in the wrong place. It's Boris who has wrecked the party, and it's going to take a very long time for it to be forgotten. As I wrote on the day he became leader:

The party is no longer recognisable as the pragmatic, business-friendly, economically-sound, reality-based party of government which I have supported for decades. It will justifiably get the electoral blame for the consequences of the disastrous course it has chosen, and will probably never be forgiven by younger voters.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/24/why-ive-resigned-from-the-conservative-party/
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    Mad Nad just gone into No 10. Lol Lol Lol
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Well done Rishi.
    Resigning after I got my £150 this morning.
    Most considerate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    MaxPB said:

What's more important is that the next PM inherits a lot of power with a 74 seat majority. More than enough to implement policies that might bring them back into play. Labour must be praying for a miracle right now.

Can a new PM deal with cost of living and other problems? It is far from clear they could - Labour will have plenty to work with, even if not as much as if Boris was there. And those recent Con converts who were wavering might respond not with relief the reason for wavering is gone, but by thinking it is a good moment to return 'home' to Labour properly.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    dixiedean said:

Truss, Patel, Wallace, Kwarteng declare loyalty.
    Bonkers. He'll try to hold on if it's only two.

Why would Truss in particular do that? Clearly she wants to be leader, if she sticks with Boris she might be leader in 3-4 years, but where you only need a Lib Dem sized taxi for all your MPs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,694
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe by then you will have learned to put the country’s health and prosperity ahead of your party’s narrow and petty political obsessions?
    I am a conservative because I believe Toryism is in the country's best interests, you aren't because you don't.

The Conservatives won a majority of 80 in 2019 under Boris with a 5 year mandate, you didn't, tough

That presumes a remarkable conception of Toryism and conservatism.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I reckon Priti Patel might also resign?

I think she has looked thoroughly pissed off with Johnson.

I wouldn't now rule out Sunak for the top spot. @BartholomewRoberts would be very pleased!

The odds are good enough that I’ve just got Sunak back into green, having been a dedicated layer while he was favourite
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,360

Kwarteng ties himself to the Tiranics last funnel

Boris, Kwasi Kwarteng & Jacob Rees-Mogg. Old Etonians sticking together.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Peston says Sunak and Javid weren't coordinating with each other on this. Though I'm not convinced by that.

Bit of Peston inside info, I know where my money goes

The division of subject matter reeks of orchestration
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,917
    So Boris declared he would not undergo a psychological change however:

• Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is not Thatcher.

He's a corrupt twat who has no compunction about burning the Conservative Party to the ground, in order to cling to office a few days longer.

I expect a similar result though. Johnson whatever you think of him was the most charismatic Tory leader and biggest election winner since Thatcher. Whatever the outcome over the next few years the Tory Party is now likely heading for years in opposition
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Please can someone reassure me that ChEx has to be in the Commons and therefore can’t be David Frost.

Please.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Just seen on Skynews Mad Nad arriving in Downing street....

OMG
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    dixiedean said:

I'm sorry but I do not see how you could go onto the media and defend a man whose own chancellor does not think worth of the position he occupies.

Don't the stayers realise how monumentally stupid they will look? Are they that out of touch?
  • Options

So applying Peston Rule #1, that means they definitely were.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    CatMan said:

Sky News made the point that Javid is mates with Carrie. Has she finally had enough of BJ?

Fed up to the back teeth?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    The Creep is gone!

... good times never felt so good (so GOOD so GOOD)

And what a day to give up smok ... to be in the Lake District for some non digital peace and tran

😄😄😄
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is Boris really clinging on??

Wallace must surely resign

The opposite, in 1990 when Thatcher was toppled it was Thatcher relative loyalist Major who succeeded her, not the assassin Heseltine
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    Leon said:

He’s the only one I give a (temporary) pass to, given the need for a bit of stability in MOD. He needs to leak he would resign if he felt he could though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,114
    Come on Zarhawi. Finish this
  • Options

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

It's barely 2.5 years since the GE, which he won handsomely. Covid disrupted his intended plans, but also meant 'normal' politics was more or less suspended.

How the heck has he gotten himself in a position where a majority of backbenchers and now many in the Cabinet want him out? No one who wins that big should make themselves so vulnerable.

It's worse than that: a year ago the Conservatives were well ahead of Labour. The blows that have laid him low were totally self-inflicted, and also the sort of stuff that got him in trouble *before* he became PM.

The only surprising this about his fall is people's evident surprise that it happened this way. The Garden Bridge debacle showed many of the same character flaws that have led him to this position.
    Handed a 20% lead, and delivered a catastrophe. I'm sure his publishers can handle it.
    Rot set in with the Paterson saga, IIRC.
    Paterson - bad judgement; Peppa Pig - incompetence

That was when the rot set in
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Did BigG actually say this is Labour’s worst nightmare? Satire lives.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Why would Truss in particular do that? Clearly she wants to be leader, if she sticks with Boris she might be leader in 3-4 years, but where you only need a Lib Dem sized taxi for all your MPs.
    People carrier nowadays I'll have you know....!!
  • Options
    WE NEED ANOTHER PLUNGE OF THE KNIFE. HE IS STILL TWITCHING. DORKUS OF THE PORKUS MORKUS
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,975

Please can someone reassure me that ChEx has to be in the Commons and therefore can’t be David Frost.

Please.

No they can be in the House of Lords - it would just mean Baroness Chapman having a more senior role in the short term...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The opposite, in 1990 when Thatcher was toppled it was Thatcher relative loyalist Major who succeeded her, not the assassin Heseltine
    And that's why Truss and Raab have not resigned?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Can PM Boris do a Pope Bennie?

With he, Carrie, kid, dog, interior designer-ethics advisor, all housed in circus tent pitched in No. 10 garden?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    It's the end of an error.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,403

OMG

I reckon she goes to Health, she's a former nurse and Health Minister.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Most likely
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Surely the Tories secured a mandate for the party to govern for 5 years, with the public trusting the party to decide who should lead them? At the time it was Boris, would not the public trust the party if it decides someone else should?

You are a proudly loyal Tory - if the party decides they do not think Boris is the right man to be PM, is that not the correct decision by definition? Who are we to gainsay the party?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

CatMan said:

Sky News made the point that Javid is mates with Carrie. Has she finally had enough of BJ?

Fed up to the back teeth?
    As the prime minister's wife, isn't she under a gagging order?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022
    All on Gove. Like i told ya. Gove incoming......
  • Options
    Leon said:

WE NEED ANOTHER PLUNGE OF THE KNIFE. HE IS STILL TWITCHING. DORKUS OF THE PORKUS MORKUS

They know how to do these things right (or at least proper) in the Balkans.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is not Thatcher.

I expect a similar result though. Johnson whatever you think of him was the most charismatic Tory leader and biggest election winner since Thatcher. Whatever the outcome over the next few years the Tory Party is now likely heading for years in opposition
    At least the Conservatives can choose someone who doesn't get a kick out of humiliating them.
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield
    @KevinASchofield
    Simon Clarke rumoured to be lined up to be the new Chancellor.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

In 1990 Thatcher also won the first ballot of tory MPs on the confidence vote??

A towering prime minister with a magnificent and unmatched 10-year record behind her, the blessed lady (PBUH) still effing resigned.

• Options

OMG

Those waiting lists are about to get a lot longer....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

That's really because Heseltine was not massively popular with large sections of the party, who didn't trust him and in particular didn't like his europhile and left-of-centre views in certain areas.

Major of course famously had a toothache when the call came from No. 10. Glorious skullduggery.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is not Thatcher.

This is the real problem for the party now imho. Thatcher DID step aside and that meant John Major could go on to win, famously, in 1992 with the largest vote by any party in British history. I mention that last bit for HY's benefit.

So does Johnson drag down the party now? Or give them at least a fighting chance at the next GE?
    I think the dam has burst with Pincher. As pointed out above, every one of Johnson's errors was unforced. It's almost as if he has decided wilfully to embarrass his MPs for shits and giggles.
    The unforced thing is really important. There's only so much that can be done with the economy or inflation, particularly if you have been in power 12 years, but Paterson, Pincher etc? Whether someone was outraged by those events or not they were completely unnecessary scandals.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nothing confirms Javid's decision more than the fact that Johnson is now attempting to continue in government by appointing new ministers.

He has less shame than the devil himself.

• Options

HYUFD said:

That even now you don't get it speaks a lot about your own values.

It isn't just about "he won an election". You're supposed to be a Christian. Which means you are supposed to have a deep-rooted understanding of right and wrong. So why don't you?
    I’d suggest that committed Christians are the last people to actually demonstrate, through their actions, that they have the slightest conception of right and wrong.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,978
    JRM for Chancellor. Nadine Dorries for Health Secretary. Lord HYUFD of Epping for Minister of Propaganda.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,975

OMG

At least she knows what a hospital is and who controls it unlike her lack of understanding regarding C4, the BBC and everything / anything else to do with Media and Culture.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I see Ms Trevelyan has not resigned. She did quite well in the ConHome survey.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    MaxPB said:

Wow, lets do this! Get the c*** out!

How's that going to help?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Oh, I think it's very likely that the Conservatives will be very, very unpopular for a long time. But you're putting the blame in the wrong place. It's Boris who has wrecked the party, and it's going to take a very long time for it to be forgotten. As I wrote on the day he became leader:

The party is no longer recognisable as the pragmatic, business-friendly, economically-sound, reality-based party of government which I have supported for decades. It will justifiably get the electoral blame for the consequences of the disastrous course it has chosen, and will probably never be forgiven by younger voters.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/24/why-ive-resigned-from-the-conservative-party/
    The Tory Party is not just the political wing of the CBI and the City of London. It also has to reach working class and lower middle class voters to win, Thatcher managed to do so as did Boris

• Options
    chief whip there to tell him how fucked he is, Nadine there to reassure him “they’re just jealous babes xx” https://twitter.com/peston/status/1544375377920933891
  • Options
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Would be the charitable explanation.
  • Options

OMG

I'll be glad if she leaves DCMS.

Nadine Dorries ‘will have power to censor the internet’

Culture Secretary will be able to direct decisions by Ofcom under Online Safety Bill

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/04/new-law-would-allow-nadine-dorries-censor-internet-mps-warn/
  • Options
    Someone tell Boris 'Sic transit gloria mundi' quick.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tory Party is not just the political wing of the CBI and the City of London. It also has to reach working class and lower middle class voters to win, Thatcher managed to do so as did Boris

You think the CBI support it any more?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Zahawi gone under ground it would seem - everyone struggling to get hold of his team
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544374620949733378

Decided it would be a good time to check out the Elizabeth Line?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m amazed Truss has bottled it. Career ending.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,211

OMG

New Chancellor!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Johnson out by morning. In fact, possibly by 9pm.

He cannot survive this.
    Unless they have the votes amongst Tory MPs to remove him he will, he is as stubborn as Corbyn and Trump and will just appoint a new Health Secretary and Chancellor
    Not a chance

When will you accept it is over for Johnson
    When he either resigns or loses a VONC
    This is a betting site. You are supposed to see things coming.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Someone tell Boris 'Sic transit gloria mundi' quick.

Nah, they should tell him sic semper tyrannis.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Surprised no middle rankers have followed The Saj and Sunak out the door.
  • Options

OMG

Nope. But this particular Cabinet will be out by the end of the month after a snap leadership contest.

May even be the party just puts Sunak as PM and Javid as CoE and gets on with things.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,211
    Have literally crossed the road and bought beer and snackage for this evening.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is not Thatcher.

Major also then led the Tories to their worst landslide defeat since 1832 in 1997 however and the bitterness of Thatcher's toppling helped wreck his government and keep the Tories in opposition for a decade
  • Options

JRM for Chancellor. Nadine Dorries for Health Secretary. Lord HYUFD of Epping for Minister of Propaganda.

omg, with Jacob Smug we'll have children up chimneys again to earn their free school meals!
  • Options

All on Gove. Like i told ya. Gove incoming......

To Number 11?….
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

chief whip there to tell him how fucked he is, Nadine there to reassure him “they’re just jealous babes xx” https://twitter.com/peston/status/1544375377920933891

Ah, I was wondering who the other person going in was
  • Options

Kevin Schofield
    @KevinASchofield
    Simon Clarke rumoured to be lined up to be the new Chancellor.

He'll never make a Cabinet meeting.....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, he managed to con them temporarily. The reaction as they realise they've been conned - which most of them now have realised - won't be helpful to the future of the party.
  • Options
    Paging Dom.

Now is the time to drop your final payload.
  • Options
    Chief whip must be telling him he has lost the parly party
  • Options
    So we could get two Geoffrey Howe moments tomorrow before PMQs? I'm not sure that they have it in them, but if they think he's trying to cling on ... they could.

That was such a brilliant speech at the time. The cricket bat metaphor: a Bazball moment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson is not Thatcher.

I think the dam has burst with Pincher. As pointed out above, every one of Johnson's errors was unforced. It's almost as if he has decided wilfully to embarrass his MPs for shits and giggles.
    The unforced thing is really important. There's only so much that can be done with the economy or inflation, particularly if you have been in power 12 years, but Paterson, Piuncher etc? Whether someone was outraged by those events or not they were completely unnecessary scandals.
    The public are very forgiving about issues that are largely outside of the control of the government. They don't forgive political leaders who simply embark on a spree, to see what they can get away with.
  • Options
    Those are pretty lengthy resignation letters. Been working on them for awhile, lads?
  • Options
    Some in No 10 braced for further ministerial resignations. Tory allies of the PM feeling inevitability, this could be the end. Many not as bullish as they have been at previous crisis moments.
    https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1544375511018774534
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So the Foreign Secretary, the Home Secretary, the Business Secretary and the Defence Secretary and Raab as Deputy PM all now declared loyalty to Johnson. That is most of the remaining big hitters in Cabinet even if Zahawi joins Sunak and Javid and goes
  • Options

The Tories could have saved themselves a lot of problems if Sunak and Javid had done this a few weeks ago.

Great point.

And one that will not be lost on backbenchers.

• Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m
    Boris is going to be forced from office because he tried to cover for a man guilty of sexual harassment. Cabinet Ministers contemplating statements of loyalty should reflect on that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jeez

The worst possible result for everyone in the UK is that Boris stays on, bleeding out in Number 10

Enough! Get rid! And I am a Leaver that liked Boris

You only like him because he jumped from remain to leave just before you did. Despite hating Johnson as I do, he can at least be credited with knowing that Brexit would be a mistake when he backed it.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,450
    Have we heard from Gove yet…..?
  • Options

The Tories could have saved themselves a lot of problems if Sunak and Javid had done this a few weeks ago.

Not to mention at least one by-election.
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries goes into No 10, new big Cabinet job for her?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1544375880285290496?s=20&t=5-mbNJH9frI-EpLtMf6CTQ
  • Options
    I don't know if this is true

Johnson undone on the Chancellor question. Who can he appoint? Who'll take it? Nadine? He can't reshuffle in any confidence. No idea who'll resign next. He's trapped. Markets watching. Game over.
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1544376698820595715
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    Who the fuck is Simon Clarke?
  • Options

OMG

Nanny Whip strikes again...
  • Options
    Statement from Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer says that “it’s clear that this government is now collapsing”. https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544377393758060549/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Apart from everything else, Boris is a clear and present danger to the Union. He is total anti-catnip to Scots, and the SNP use him as a recruiting tool, and they mentioned him by name when announcing "Sindyref" 2. One person who will be really praying he survives is Sturgeon

Surely you can see this? You're a unionist
  • Options
    Heathener said:

So we could get two Geoffrey Howe moments tomorrow before PMQs? I'm not sure that they have it in them, but if they think he's trying to cling on ... they could.

That was such a brilliant speech at the time. The cricket bat metaphor: a Bazball moment.

Watch Gove
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nadine Dorries goes into No 10, new big Cabinet job for her?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1544375880285290496?s=20&t=5-mbNJH9frI-EpLtMf6CTQ

You sure she hasn't gone in there to give him a blowjob?
This discussion has been closed.