Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kaboom! Javid resigns once more, but is he first of many? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    Raab staying put
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

Wow, lets do this! Get the c*** out!

Is that you saying that or are you quoting Truss?
    Penny for her thoughts at the moment...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Sunak's letter is fascinating.

It sounds like Johnson wanted to splash the cash next week and Sunak has refused.

Blimey yes.

He has gone over policy.

Javid gone over ethics.

Double act as I said earlier.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,149
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

This is Labour worst nightmare

It really isn't

Boris staying on was ideal for them, but they still get the 2nd prize, total turmoil in the Tory Party

OTOH Starmer may yet get a FPN
    Talk about icing on the cake for excitement - PM goes, but the LOTO has already promised to resign if X happens. Step up Sir Ed wotsisname?
    Starmer going would be good for the UK

We need to draw the Brexit poison, finally. Boris going is half the job. Starmer the 2nd Voter needs to go as well

Then perhaps we can all - at last - move on. A new generation
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

This is Labour's worst nightmare

No, they got rid of their last leader.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    ohnotnow said:
    Key sentence - he’s been opposing the clown privately while backing him publicly.

Hat still in the ring…
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:
    Even then not necessarily fatal, Sunak is now clearly on the left of the party
    But a flesh wound

That is a killer letter. Nothing about Pincher and lying, exclusively says you can't be trusted with economy

Actum est de puero pinguido
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Really?

However desperate the news for the Conservatives, we can always rely on someone to offer a more positive spin.

This is the catastrophic implosion of a Conservative Government, Cabinet and Party - but apparently it's bad news for Labour.

Even if there's a new leader, the economic headwinds are still there. I suspect it won't be much of an inheritance for the next non-Conservative Government.

Presumably IF Sunak gets the top leader, Javid will be Chancellor and perhaps Dowden will get a senior role.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    I assume we can expect one of two things from HY once he receives his instructions from whoever is left in Downing Street:
    1. Sunak and Javid were never real Tories
    2. Johnson has a majority of 80 and the public's opinion doesn't matter
    3. Anyway he is safe for a year
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Better late than never.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Leon said:

By election in Uxbridge is a certainty

Indeed. No way he stays in the Commons as a backbencher. Off to earn shagloads of cash
    I doubt he will even stay for the leadership contest.
    My caretaker May prediction looks fucking spot on now
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    It's probably a good time now for Durham Police to issue Starmer and Rayner with their FPNs! ;-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Johnson out by morning. In fact, possibly by 9pm.

He cannot survive this.
    Unless they have the votes amongst Tory MPs to remove him he will, he is as stubborn as Corbyn and Trump and will just appoint a new Health Secretary and Chancellor
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    Taz said:

‘Pincher Movement’ !! Very good

The next thread is going to be headlined with 'The cabinet are revolting as they prepare to get their Johnson out'
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    “Dominic Raab is loyal to the prime minister”

He has nothing to lose now that he’s losing his seat at the next election
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Pincher for chancellor?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Sky News made the point that Javid is mates with Carrie. Has she finally had enough of BJ?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

Wow, lets do this! Get the c*** out!

Is that you saying that or are you quoting Truss?
    Do you mean the blond growler?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm on Raab next Cons leader. Betting doesn't seem to have moved. What are the rules/criteria?

You have a position where you don't know the rules ?

I know, we've all been there.
  • Options

Raab staying put

To be honest, he probably should as Deputy PM as it is clear there is going to be need of an interim.

Although all a bit murky as there is no such role in constitution.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Yep, gone before PMQs, maybe.
    I for one want him gone, and I am a Con supporter.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

Truss has been totally outmanoeuvred here. Bless her.

Not if she gets appointed Chancellor, Boris clings on for a while longer, and she repeats John Major's trajectory from Foreign Secretary to Number 10.
    I do wish you wouldn't say 'cling on'. It reminds me of the old Mr Spock joke.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    kle4 said:

It's barely 2.5 years since the GE, which he won handsomely. Covid disrupted his intended plans, but also meant 'normal' politics was more or less suspended.

How the heck has he gotten himself in a position where a majority of backbenchers and now many in the Cabinet want him out? No one who wins that big should make themselves so vulnerable.

It's worse than that: a year ago the Conservatives were well ahead of Labour. The blows that have laid him low were totally self-inflicted, and also the sort of stuff that got him in trouble *before* he became PM.

The only surprising this about his fall is people's evident surprise that it happened this way. The Garden Bridge debacle showed many of the same character flaws that have led him to this position.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    The rebel alliance?

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

Not if she gets appointed Chancellor, Boris clings on for a while longer, and she repeats John Major's trajectory from Foreign Secretary to Number 10.

Anyone who sticks with Johnson now will be utterly contaminated.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    darkage said:

Pincher for chancellor?

If I were Ellis I would be pretty pissed off if I didn't get a big promotion. Even if it did last a week.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Bloody hell!
  • Options

Looks like the end. What the hell took them so long? It's not as though we've learnt anything about Boris this week that we didn't know last month, or last year, or in 2019 when he was chosen as leader.

Still, it's progress. Getting rid of him is the necessary first stage - but only the first stage - of putting things right.

Yes, back to opposition, probably for at least a decade if not more.

Last time the Tories toppled an election winning PM, Thatcher in 1990, they lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and it took them until Boris in 2019 to win a big majority again
  • Options

I assume we can expect one of two things from HY once he receives his instructions from whoever is left in Downing Street:

Tomorrow Nadine will be chancellor, and Bone in charge of our health…
  • Options

Raab will be Prime Minister shortly. Once Boris is thrust onto the erect phallus of the political sword, he will quit. Not just as PM, as an MP. Gone. So Raab becomes PM by means of being deputy PM whilst the Tories do a leadership slaughter.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    kle4 said:

The rebel alliance?

Don't give Disney+ ideas.....
  • Options

Betfair Boris out in 2022 now 1.1.

I am on for a pitiful sum at 4. The one slender bulwark of my fortune after a disastrous year backing Boris out by x date
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    Omnium said:

Perhaps G bloke, but it's not far off a Tory nightmare and this one is real!
    Would be a cause of Labour discomfort if there were an obvious star waiting in the wings. But there’s not. There are loonies even less respected than Boris, and then there are half competent people whose austerity era economic ideas are totally at odds with public opinion.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

It really isn't

Boris staying on was ideal for them, but they still get the 2nd prize, total turmoil in the Tory Party

Talk about icing on the cake for excitement - PM goes, but the LOTO has already promised to resign if X happens. Step up Sir Ed wotsisname?
    I think Davey is a lovely name....
  • Options
    My sources tell me that Steve Barclay is likely to be the next Chancellor.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Raab is maybe thinking he/she who wields the knife never wears the crown?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

He cannot survive this.
    Unless they have the votes amongst Tory MPs to remove him he will, he is as stubborn as Corbyn and Trump and will just appoint a new Health Secretary and Chancellor
    Not a chance

When will you accept it is over for Johnson
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why would you STAY in the Cabinet now?

Anyone who does looks like a craven fool

More than they did before, you mean ?
  • Options
    Tree Frog, Mad Nad, Bone, Fabricunt and Raab - he doesn’t need anymore of a cabinet than that
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    I reckon Priti Patel might also resign?

I think she has looked thoroughly pissed off with Johnson.

I wouldn't now rule out Sunak for the top spot. @BartholomewRoberts would be very pleased!
  • Options

...that's three things.

But in fact I think he might surprise us. If the winds have changed so dramatically, he knows what the party needs to do.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

kle4 said:

It's barely 2.5 years since the GE, which he won handsomely. Covid disrupted his intended plans, but also meant 'normal' politics was more or less suspended.

How the heck has he gotten himself in a position where a majority of backbenchers and now many in the Cabinet want him out? No one who wins that big should make themselves so vulnerable.

It's worse than that: a year ago the Conservatives were well ahead of Labour. The blows that have laid him low were totally self-inflicted, and also the sort of stuff that got him in trouble *before* he became PM.

The only surprising this about his fall is people's evident surprise that it happened this way. The Garden Bridge debacle showed many of the same character flaws that have led him to this position.
    Handed a 20% lead, and delivered a catastrophe. I'm sure his publishers can handle it.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Yep, gone before PMQs, maybe.
    I for one want him gone, and I am a Con supporter.

And me
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Handed a 20% lead, and delivered a catastrophe. I'm sure his publishers can handle it.
    I'd be more interested in Mrs J's memoirs.
  • Options
    Kwarteng ties himself to the Tiranics last funnel
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    HYUFD said:

Looks like the end. What the hell took them so long? It's not as though we've learnt anything about Boris this week that we didn't know last month, or last year, or in 2019 when he was chosen as leader.

Still, it's progress. Getting rid of him is the necessary first stage - but only the first stage - of putting things right.

Last time the Tories toppled an election winning PM, Thatcher in 1990, they lost 3 out of 4 of the following general elections and it took them until Boris in 2019 to win a big majority again
    We can just be hopeful of a repeat...
  • Options
    Text from President Zelenskyy: “Oh God, he’s going to want to do another visit, isn’t he? We’ve got a lot going on over here at the moment TBH”

https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1544372281522126849?s=20&t=5E0h9OzckhlXY16bNNSIoQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Calm yerself

Boris is not Thatcher. Starmer is not Blair

If Labour scrape a NOM win in 2024 and have to govern in the face of economic storms, while riven by Woke madness, I can easily see the Tories romping back in 2028

Besides, Boris was leading your team to terrible defeat, anyway. Look at Tiverton
  • Options
    Source close to Jacob Rees-Mogg confirms he is NOT quitting Cabinet

"Jacob is standing firm with the PM"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1544371083503190017
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Rot set in with the Paterson saga, IIRC.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,577
    Nat King Cole - The Party's Over
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12iPj-TQrM
  • Options

The Downfall Parody writes itself. JRM is Goebbels in the Bunker
  • Options

You're right. His reputation went south some time since.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited July 2022

He will promote Dorries to chancellor and Rees-Mogg to Heath
  • Options
    Priti stays
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That even now you don't get it speaks a lot about your own values.

It isn't just about "he won an election". You're supposed to be a Christian. Which means you are supposed to have a deep-rooted understanding of right and wrong. So why don't you?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

I wouldn't now rule out Sunak for the top spot. @BartholomewRoberts would be very pleased!

Near zero chance of that, Wallace trounced Sunak 59% to 25% in this week's Conhome survey, Truss beat Sunak 50% to 35% and Mordaunt beat Sunak 58% to 33% and it is Tory members and Tory members alone who get the final say on the next PM and Tory leader if Johnson goes

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Heathener said:

Well she has some (few) fans. I would genuinely like to see her as next PM.
  • Options
    Whilst you lot are watching the news, Cameron is about to serve for the 4th set.
  • Options
    Some Tory MPs now speculating Boris might try to bring recess forward to head off new contest.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It feels a bit like Corbyn in that the same attacks which didn't work in 2017 worked in 2019, as the atmosphere was very different (yes Brexit was a big part of it too).

Boris has always been very flawed, but he also brought enthusiasm, a certain boosterist vision (albeit a confused one). But for whatever reason since a little before the Paterson debacle (which remains a shameful episode for all involved), it has begin to really stick.

He retains fans, and people who fear a replacement cannot match his appeal in the Red Wall. But MPs since sick of his chaotic shit.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    At this stage, if you’re a Cabinet Minister with hopes of a post-Boris career, why wouldn’t you resign this evening too? You don’t want to be left alone standing next to Dorries and Mogg.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,201
    Men in grey suits will swing this. I know Boris is one of those who will be inclined to slug it out until he is voted out by his own party, but even he knows the bunker walls are crumbling.
  • Options

Priti stays

Loyalist candidate in the leadership contest.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

The question is how contaminated will the whole bunch be that stuck with him for months & months under a constant stream of sewage from the broken BJ soil pipe.
  • Options
    "On behalf of Her Majesty, the Office of the PM announces the appointment of Peppa Pig as Chancellor of the Exchequer."
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

My sources tell me that Steve Barclay is likely to be the next Chancellor.

Interesting. I thought he was the biggest of the Sunak allies. Perhaps he's been asked to stay on and mind the shop to make sure Johnson didn't do anything too wrong in his final days.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It really isn't

I think Davey is a lovely name....
    I was only teasing, I like Davey.
  • Options

Ergo: it will only be people who think they have no chance in a new Tory Cabinet

JRM, Dorries, of course. Kwarteng is a surprise
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

He cannot survive this.
    Not a chance

When will you accept it is over for Johnson
    When he either resigns or loses a VONC
  • Options
    Hah

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Applicant said:

Whilst you lot are watching the news, Cameron is about to serve for the 4th set.

Is Dave playing with a Russian Oligarch again?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

David Cameron...??
  • Options
    2 sets all.
  • Options
    biggles said:

At this stage, if you’re a Cabinet Minister with hopes of a post-Boris career, why wouldn’t you resign this evening too? You don’t want to be left alone standing next to Dorries and Mogg.

Give them an hour to write their letters etc .........
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ergo: it will only be people who think they have no chance in a new Tory Cabinet

Truss?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Kwarteng is very surprising, as he was never first choice for any job under Boris, so despite being a Brexit supporter isn't one of Boris Boys.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

Good evening, everyone.

It is definitely improving!
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Quiet one
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Just come in from the garden. Feck about!
  • Options
    Is Boris really clinging on??

Wallace must surely resign
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Maybe by then you will have learned to put the country’s health and prosperity ahead of your party’s narrow and petty political obsessions?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    One -two punch.
    Propriety.
    Policy.
    Not getting up.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Some Tory MPs now speculating Boris might try to bring recess forward to head off new contest.

That was posted earlier today because I remember joking about it...
  • Options

Raab will be Prime Minister shortly. Once Boris is thrust onto the erect phallus of the political sword, he will quit. Not just as PM, as an MP. Gone. So Raab becomes PM by means of being deputy PM whilst the Tories do a leadership slaughter.
    Whilst it has been noted to death that just because he is deputy PM there is no reason he must become PM in the event of the PM suddenly going, I'm not sure who else the Queen would be advised to pick in such a scenario among the current crop of MPs. May would be an obvious choice as a temporary one, but would be a bit political of a choice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    MISTY said:

Leon said:

Truss?
    "100% behind the PM"
  • Options
    Truss staying
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    JRM will be CotE. Short of PM I doubt there is any job he wants more.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Men in grey suits will swing this. I know Boris is one of those who will be inclined to slug it out until he is voted out by his own party, but even he knows the bunker walls are crumbling.

Time for those Downfall parodies.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Raab is maybe thinking he/she who wields the knife never wears the crown?
    Yet there are lots of politicians with no cutlery in their hands who never got any dinner.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe by then you will have learned to put the country’s health and prosperity ahead of your party’s narrow and petty political obsessions?
    Even from a purely partisan viewpoint, the Conservatives would be well rid of him.
  • Options
    Great photo on the BBC of Boris - looks stunned and hurt.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited July 2022
    Truss, Patel, Wallace, Kwarteng declare loyalty.
    Bonkers. He'll try to hold on if it's only two.
  • Options
    Jeez

The worst possible result for everyone in the UK is that Boris stays on, bleeding out in Number 10

Enough! Get rid! And I am a Leaver that liked Boris
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    What's more important is that the next PM inherits a lot of power with a 74 seat majority. More than enough to implement policies that might bring them back into play. Labour must be praying for a miracle right now.
  • Options

Leon said:

Kwarteng is very surprising, as he was never first choice for any job under Boris, so despite being a Brexit supporter isn't Boris inner circle.
    Usually someone in the inner (or magic) circle who wields the dagger.

Was the Roman way. And is still the Tory way (as with Sir Anthony and Maggie back in their day)?
This discussion has been closed.