Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Now Grant Shapps is being talked up as BoJo’s successor – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2022 in General
Now Grant Shapps is being talked up as BoJo’s successor – politicalbetting.com

Why Tory MPs are talking up @grantshapps as next Tory leader:?unites party with attacks on Labour over strikes ?Tory chairman when party won 2015 elxn ?won his seat from Labour ? one of best media performers in Cabinet?economic+social liberal https://t.co/fYlffeLYgQ

Read the full story here

Comments

• ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    edited June 2022
    First..... And a thought.... Shapps has the qualities that Johnson lacks..... you say..... such as honesty perhaps????? I don't think so.....
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    The politician otherwise known as Michael Green?
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    "Liberal"? Jesus wept. Free beer and bingo maybe.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    There is no question to which "Grant Shapps" is a sensible answer
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    I like Grant, but Team 2020 story should put any chance of him becoming Tory leader or PM.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

In the interests of political balance as well as Dehenna i have a big boy crush on Kate Forbes.

Oh no! 😦

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

In the interests of political balance as well as Dehenna i have a big boy crush on Kate Forbes.

Oh no! 😦

Leave Kate alone shes a wee cutey!!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Scott_xP said:

I dunno, how about "Who's the worst possible replacement for Johnson the Tories could choose apart from JRM, Patel or Dorries?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Scott_xP said:

I dunno, how about "Who's the worst possible replacement for Johnson the Tories could choose apart from JRM, Patel or Dorries?
    Mogg. I've sworn off voting Labour again for life, but I'd vote Labour again if Mogg led the Tories. I hate him more than Boris.

Scott_xP said:

Or Siri, what is the political equivalent of dry muesli for breakfast?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    I had to check the date when I read this headline.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    FPT

From Njegos, by Djilas (not other way around) -

The land is one of utter destitution and forlorn silence. It's billowing crags engulf all that is alive and all that human hand has build and cultivated. Every sound is dashed against the jagged rock, and every ray of light is ground into gravel.

[clearly Djilas was NOT writing on behalf of Montenegro Tourist Board]

. . . a crucified wilderness! That is Montenegro, that is the Nahi of Katuni [homeland of Njegos]: a wilderness and a sea of stone, but one lifted high upon a confusion of peaks, gashed by canyons and gorges, and gouged by gaping precipices burrowing into stone cracked by heat and frost.

It lacks the serenity of the desert of the spaciousness of the sea. It has some of both - but the silence is stony and the spaciousness is overhead in the endless heavens.

How strange to see that name on here. The ghost of Petar Petrovic Njegos is a character in one of my books.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    CatMan said:

Well since as long as I can remember every Prime Minister has been worse than the last, so kudos to the Tory party for trying to continue that tradition

It's a bit early for the silly season, isn't it?

On the other hand, someone has got to take the job on, and he's probably less unsutiable than many of the alternatives.

But a combination of the firestorms of 2016-19, and Johnson's paranoia about cultivating a successor / rival has left the Conservative cupboard pretty bare.

And is it too much to ask that "has a reasonable chance of being up to the job of Prime Minister" should be on the checklist?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    CatMan said:

Well since as long as I can remember every Prime Minister has been worse than the last, so kudos to the Tory party for trying to continue that tradition

Gave this a like but my actual considered opinion is that nobody could be worse. Johnson is very special. We will not see his like again.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243

FPT

From Njegos, by Djilas (not other way around) -

The land is one of utter destitution and forlorn silence. It's billowing crags engulf all that is alive and all that human hand has build and cultivated. Every sound is dashed against the jagged rock, and every ray of light is ground into gravel.

[clearly Djilas was NOT writing on behalf of Montenegro Tourist Board]

. . . a crucified wilderness! That is Montenegro, that is the Nahi of Katuni [homeland of Njegos]: a wilderness and a sea of stone, but one lifted high upon a confusion of peaks, gashed by canyons and gorges, and gouged by gaping precipices burrowing into stone cracked by heat and frost.

It lacks the serenity of the desert of the spaciousness of the sea. It has some of both - but the silence is stony and the spaciousness is overhead in the endless heavens.

How strange to see that name on here. The ghost of Petar Petrovic Njegos is a character in one of my books.
    Interesting! How & why?
  • If Grant Shapps is the answer, you are asking the wrong question.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    edited June 2022

Oh no! 😦

Leave Kate alone shes a wee cutey!!
    Forbes to lead SNP, Streeting to lead Labour. What is it about Selwyn historians?

Both would be a massive improvement.

• Scott_xP said:

Beaten to it!
  • On topic, time to add "who should be Johnson's successor" to the lengthy list of questions to which the answer definitely isn't Grant effing Shapps.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    The most FFS-ed PB headline evah.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    Shant Grapps!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

Oh no! 😦

I'm not that desperate :lol:
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    No 10 briefing operation imho.

Sow doubt. Sow fear. Sow confusion.

If you kill the king who knows what you will get.

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Also, in the spirit of shortening names, if we have BoJo then we can have GraSha. OR SOMETHING.
    edited June 2022
    I thought the time I wrote a thread about Gavin Williamson succeeding Boris Johnson would never be outdone.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/04/17/light-the-beacons-of-gondor-gavin-williamson-may-have-just-come-up-with-a-competent-and-popular-policy/

(FWIW I was advising laying Gavin Williamson at 159/1)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

In that case expect them to tout Gavin Williamson next.

Also, in the spirit of shortening names, if we have BoJo then we can have GraSha. OR SOMETHING.

Grasp?

In that case expect them to tout Gavin Williamson next.

That's Sir Gavin Williamson.
    Everything about him and his career and his get rich quick scheme and his wikipedia editing is utterly naff.
    You might as well anoint Matt fucking Hancock if you want a soft milky shit in charge.
    Stop with this inanity!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Oh no! 😦

She's rocking that Featherstone Rovers dommy kink.
    edited June 2022
    Neil Henderson @hendopolis

...is back doing the newspaper front pages!

Hed probably hope for Shappers or something. He'll get Cockwomble.

*in Jim Bowen voice*
    Shappers you want...... cockwomble you've got

Grasp?
    GraspShaft.

Then recoil in horror,

Hed probably hope for Shappers or something. He'll get Cockwomble.

*in Jim Bowen voice*
    Shappers you want...... cockwomble you've got
    I'd already copyrighted my "Brimful of GraSha" tabloid headline. Probably prematurely.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,397
    FPT: Foxy may find these patterns of interest:
    "Teen birth rates in the U.S. are at the lowest level in U.S. history.[210] In fact, teen birth rates in the U.S. have consistently decreased since 1991 through 2011, except for a brief increase between 2005 and 2007.[210] The other aberration from this otherwise steady decline in teen birth rates is the 6% decrease in birth rates for 15- to 19-year-olds between 2008 and 2009.[210] Despite these years of decrease, U.S. teen birth rates are still higher than in other developed nations.[210] Racial differences prevail with teen birth and pregnancy rates as well. The American Indian/Alaska Native, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic Black teen pregnancy rates are more than double the non-Hispanic white teen birth rate.[211]"
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

Are those patterns broadly similar to those in the UK? Very broadly, perhaps?

(One unusual pattern in US demographics: During the George W. Bush presidency, fertility rates rose above 2.1 in 2006 and 2007. I don't know of any other advanced nation that has seen a similar increase, since 2000.)
    edited June 2022
    Can the Con party get more arseholey?

Oh yes.

edited June 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Grant Shapps???

Has the Tory party gone quite mad?

Put it this way.

Is there any evidence that the Tory party hasn't gone quite mad some years ago?

On the other hand, the campaign song would be easy to choose;

Who's the cat that won't cop out
    When there's danger rail strikes all about?
    Shapps
    Right on
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Is this an April Fool?

That is what I thought too....
    Cyclefree said:

Grant Shapps???

Statistically there must be a finite but mindbogglingly tiny probability that they're right and it's just the rest of the Universe that's quite wrong.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    HYUFD said:

This has to be a windup, Shapps would be over promoted leading a district council, let alone PM. He is just about treading water as a middle ranking minister nothing more.

An economic and social liberal is also not what the Tories need to hold the redwall

Oh yes.

Yes, it could elect Grant Shaps as leader.
    Got to say I've got some sympathy for John Major.
    I had multiple full blood transfusions in the mid 80's, on the North American West Coast from untested blood. Often taken for money from those without many other sources of income.
    I didn't contract HIV. Essentially, I was lucky. I didn't draw the wrong ball from the jar.
    Those who did did.
    So that makes them "unlucky" does it not?
    imho every single media interview Johnson gives makes his position worse.

Starmer should try and persuade the BBC, Sky and ITV to not interview Johnson for a period of purdah.

HYUFD said:

This has to be a windup, Shapps would be over promoted leading a district council, let alone PM. He is just about treading water as a middle ranking minister nothing more.

An economic and social liberal is also not what the Tories need to hold the redwall

Oh yes.

Yes, it could elect Grant Shaps as leader.
    Would that be Lee Anderson there in the middle, who defected from... checks notes... Ashfield Labour where he was Gloria's office manager for years?

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited June 2022
    Gardening stuff

Probably make a better PM too.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Presumably this was put about by Boris's people as some sort of scare tactic: get rid of Boris and you might well end up with globalist Remainer Shapps. Can't think of any other explanation.

Cyclefree said:

Grant Shapps???

Statistically there must be a finite but mindbogglingly tiny probability that they're right and it's just the rest of the Universe that's quite wrong.
    Nah, as I posted earlier this is No 10 briefing bollocks to try and scare rebels away from lobbying 1922.
    I mean Shapps is Anna Soubry, leader of Change UK (non LD splitters, and not the racist one with funny tinge obsession) levels of political giantism
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited June 2022
    Clucking bell, the Heather Watson match is taking place in front of a mostly empty court at Wimbledon. Millions of people would love to be sitting there.
    Well, I suppose Mr Shapps is sitting on a bigger majority than Boris, but is 11,000 safe enough given the current state of politics?

Cyclefree said:

Grant Shapps???

Put it this way.

Shapps
    Right on
    'Shappiness, Shappiness,
    The greatest git, that we possess'
    Shappy talky talky,
    Shappy talk,
    Talk about things you like to do (with your new Brexit freedoms).
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Cyclefree said:

Grant Shapps???

Put it this way.

Shapps
    Right on
    'Shappiness, Shappiness,
    The greatest git, that we possess'
    Crappyness, crappyness - I thank the lord the Tories are blessed with more than their share of crappyness.
    Cyclefree said:

Gardening stuff

I see you’ve weeded out the Shapps.
    Cyclefree said:

Gardening stuff

No - it is way too smart to go into politics
    Tonight @HouseofCommons has backed the NI Protocol Bill.

It provides practical solutions to problems caused by the Protocol and protects the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement.

While a negotiated outcome remains our preference - the EU must accept changes to the Protocol itself.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1541531045908172801
    edited June 2022

Presumably this was put about by Boris's people as some sort of scare tactic: get rid of Boris and you might well end up with globalist Remainer Shapps. Can't think of any other explanation.

Yep.

It is all so pathetic and obvious and see through.

But as ever, the most important thing about Johnson and his team at No 10 is they really do believe they can take the voting public for fools.

Or in this case the voting public of the 1922 committee.

Cyclefree said:

Gardening stuff

Next PM, Borage Johnson.
    edited June 2022
    Shapps Theme Song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEaRCAcfOEQ

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
    - Shapps!
    Right on
    They say this cat Shapps is a bad mother
    - Shut your mouth!
    I'm talkin' 'bout
    - Shapps!
    Then we can dig it
    He's a complicated man . . .
    What I said earlier...

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2022
    This is really quite extraordinary, in multiple ways: A transcript, which appears to be genuine, of a telephone conversation between Macron and Putin just before the invasion (in French):

https://www.letemps.ch/monde/emmanuel-macron-vladimir-poutine-quatre-jours-guerre-ne-sais-juriste-appris-droit

Macron comes out of it quite well IMO.
    edited June 2022
    "Stephen Thornton
    @Thornton_health

How come there are so many empty seats
    @Wimbledon for the Andy Murray match tonight when the likes of me can’t get tickets?

9:01 PM · Jun 27, 2022·Twitter for iPhone"

https://twitter.com/Thornton_health/status/1541511961040625667

"Nia Jones
    @niajones92

Own up. Who has hogged Wimbledon tickets and NOT EVEN GONE? Totally sold out online yet there are more empty seats at Murray’s match on Centre Court than at a netball match during covid"

https://twitter.com/niajones92/status/1541503253057347584
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

"Teen birth rates in the U.S. are at the lowest level in U.S. history.[210] In fact, teen birth rates in the U.S. have consistently decreased since 1991 through 2011, except for a brief increase between 2005 and 2007.[210] The other aberration from this otherwise steady decline in teen birth rates is the 6% decrease in birth rates for 15- to 19-year-olds between 2008 and 2009.[210] Despite these years of decrease, U.S. teen birth rates are still higher than in other developed nations.[210] Racial differences prevail with teen birth and pregnancy rates as well. The American Indian/Alaska Native, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic Black teen pregnancy rates are more than double the non-Hispanic white teen birth rate.[211]"

(One unusual pattern in US demographics: During the George W. Bush presidency, fertility rates rose above 2.1 in 2006 and 2007. I don't know of any other advanced nation that has seen a similar increase, since 2000.)

The USA pattern is broadly similar, with a drop of nearly 75% over the last 3 decades. A number of factors are surely involved, but smartphones are part of it IMO.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/
    Weather report, Seattle - as of 2.30pm Pacific time, temp on my porch (in direct sunlight) = 104F, indoor temp 79F.

According to web actual air temp here = 90F, with 33% humidity. BUT tomorrow's high forecast in low 60sF.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Gardening stuff

Next PM, Borage Johnson.
    He's more like the Japanese knotweed of the Tory party. More or less impossible to get rid of, he's destroying it.

Tonight @HouseofCommons has backed the NI Protocol Bill.

It provides practical solutions to problems caused by the Protocol and protects the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement.

While a negotiated outcome remains our preference - the EU must accept changes to the Protocol itself.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1541531045908172801

Good luck in the Lords Lizz.

What I said earlier...

Can’t read the small print, is army chief suggesting we should avoid the spineless, fash sympathetic 1937 moment of HMG and their opposition regarding Spain?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Gardening stuff

Next PM, Borage Johnson.
    Borage, de petal, Johnson.
    Now down to one,.

At least one Tory MP from 2019 intake in advanced talks to defect to Labour
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/27/at-least-one-tory-mp-from-2019-intake-in-advanced-talks-to-defect-to-labour

Labour quality control ?
  • This has to be a bad joke, right?

Anyway, good to see that Truss's sensible Protocol reforms have made it through the first stages of the Commons. Unsurprising to see that fool May, who created the NI mess in the first place with her moronic sequencing, is against reforms.

Truss has come up with a good solution and has to keep the pressure up to ensure this is resolved and the Parliament Act is invoked, if needed.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Foxy said:

The USA pattern is broadly similar, with a drop of nearly 75% over the last 3 decades. A number of factors are surely involved, but smartphones are part of it IMO.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/
    Smartphones? What's the thinking there?
    edited June 2022
    Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/27/at-least-one-tory-mp-from-2019-intake-in-advanced-talks-to-defect-to-labour

Labour quality control ?

At this rate Starmer will be a Tory by Friday
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

What I said earlier...

I see that @Leon is moonlighting as the Telegraph's picture editor.
    HYUFD said:

Hello H. Not to send you into a fug of envy or anything but I'm going to the Eton Harrow match at Lords tomorrow. It's the last ever one at the home of cricket. They'll have to play it somewhere else from now on. Perhaps at Eton or Harrow. Another casualty of woke. If it aint broke don't fix it, they used to say. No longer.

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Labour quality control ?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,156
    edited June 2022

Foxy said:

Bored teens are going on their phones to chat/play games/watch videos/TikTok/browse the web etc instead of having sex.
    Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Surely it can't be GB News presenter Dehenna Davison.
    edited June 2022

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Defections are almost always a surprise.
    They rarely have pre- publicity.

This has to be a bad joke, right?

Anyway, good to see that Truss's sensible Protocol reforms have made it through the first stages of the Commons. Unsurprising to see that fool May, who created the NI mess in the first place with her moronic sequencing, is against reforms.

Truss has come up with a good solution and has to keep the pressure up to ensure this is resolved and the Parliament Act is invoked, if needed.

May abstained in the vote rather than voting with the opposition.
    Someone who has the wisdom to know when to call it quits….
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/27/the-best-weve-ever-had-eoin-morgan-set-to-call-time-on-england-career

… and will be celebrated as a transformative, successful and well loved leader.
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Defections are almost always a surprise.
    They rarely have pre- publicity.
    Corbyn to the DUP?
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678

Scott_xP said:

QTWTAIWTF
    Question to which the answer is wireless telecommunications facility?
    I don't get it.........
  • This has to be a bad joke, right?

May abstained in the vote rather than voting with the opposition.
    That wasn't clear from this article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61959526

Funny how the BBC is leading on its website about criticism from a backbencher who abstained, but they don't mention that in the article (unless its been edited since).
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Foxy said:

Bored teens are going on their phones to chat/play games/watch videos/TikTok/browse the web etc instead of having sex.
    Also applies to regulars on obscure blogs.
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Its not Dehenna. Her seat isnt marginal.
  • Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/27/the-best-weve-ever-had-eoin-morgan-set-to-call-time-on-england-career

He probably ought to have called it quits about a year or so ago, but he's done a very good job and will be fondly remembered. 👍
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

Foxy said:

Haven't they heard of multitasking?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Hello H. Not to send you into a fug of envy or anything but I'm going to the Eton Harrow match at Lords tomorrow. It's the last ever one at the home of cricket. They'll have to play it somewhere else from now on. Perhaps at Eton or Harrow. Another casualty of woke. If it aint broke don't fix it, they used to say. No longer.
    Yes sad news, my father was an old Harrovian and was a great summer fixture, only 1 day after all
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

If Labour won a majority they would win Bishop Auckland
  • HYUFD said:

An economic and social liberal could be quite positive, but if you're going for that, go for Truss.

Schapps is just a million times no.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    Andy_JS said:

"Stephen Thornton
    @Thornton_health

How come there are so many empty seats
    @Wimbledon for the Andy Murray match tonight when the likes of me can’t get tickets?

9:01 PM · Jun 27, 2022·Twitter for iPhone"

https://twitter.com/Thornton_health/status/1541511961040625667

"Nia Jones
    @niajones92

Own up. Who has hogged Wimbledon tickets and NOT EVEN GONE? Totally sold out online yet there are more empty seats at Murray’s match on Centre Court than at a netball match during covid"

https://twitter.com/niajones92/status/1541503253057347584

I can't speak specifically for Wimbledon, but it'll probably be Corporate. Allocated loads of seats, most won't turn up (they didn't pay for them anyway - and aren't interested in the tennis).

Corporate is ruining a lot of sports. Huge amounts of tickets allocated to them, and barely any turn up.
    Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

Nice thought. But I think we're only blocking from the left atm. Other door is open.
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Now down to one,.

Labour quality control ?

If Labour won a majority they would win Bishop Auckland
    That doesn't make her seat a marginal does it?

Nigelb said:

He probably ought to have called it quits about a year or so ago, but he's done a very good job and will be fondly remembered. 👍
    No harm in his trying to regain form - and it’s hardly held back the team.
    He’s timed it very well, leaving plenty time for his successor to bed in.

One hesitates to draw comparisons with contemporary politicians, but…
This discussion has been closed.