Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP top the ComRes “most favoured party” list and move up

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP top the ComRes “most favoured party” list and move up to 19% on voting intention

ComRes online for Indy on Sunday/S Mirror sees CON close gap by 2
CON 30% +1
LAB 35% -1
LD 8%=
UKIP 19% +1
Very good for UKIP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    arsenal.
  • Options
    Can you tell Jane Merrick off/give her the PB polling dunce award for her ridiculous hyperbole of this poll?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Just to balance out a comment I saw on here earlier, The Wolf of Wall Street, whilst rather one dimensional, is hilarious and barely feels half its length.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Just to balance out a comment I saw on here earlier, The Wolf of Wall Street, whilst rather one dimensional, is hilarious and barely feels half its length.

I loved it, watched it last night, enjoyed every moment of it, especially the whole drive home from the country club.

Having read the book/the stories is largely accurate, and that was the actual Jordan Belfort at the end.
  • Options
    Just been pointed at this, happiness versus school quality with the UK slap bang in the middle...

http://www.coolinfographics.com/blog/2014/1/17/where-in-the-world-are-the-best-schools-and-the-happiest-kid.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection - 18 Sep 2014

Should Scotland Be An Independent Country :

YES 38% .. No 62%

Turnout Projection 77%
  • Options
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 3m

Lab six point lead in Op/Obs poll tonight, Labn36 (-1), Conservative 30 (n/c), Liberal Democrat 8 (n/c), UKIP 17 (n/c).
  • Options
    Bristol boy treks across Antarctica to reach South Pole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-25794003

Some clowns are getting worked up that he isn't at school. Well done Lewis Clarke for doing something extraordinary.
  • Options
    Site notice

When talking about the front page of tomorrow's Independent on Sunday, be specific about which story you're talking about, as the one about the police is off limits, due to its relation to phone hacking.

So no ambiguity or attempts to circumvent this rule
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Just been pointed at this, happiness versus school quality with the UK slap bang in the middle...

http://www.coolinfographics.com/blog/2014/1/17/where-in-the-world-are-the-best-schools-and-the-happiest-kid.html

The best place for a European to be is at a Swiss Finishing School.

My experience would definitely support this conclusion.

• Options
    David Cameron and George Osborne are increasingly regarded by the public as the best team to handle the British economy, a new poll suggests.

One in three believe the Tory leadership provides the best option for the country as it emerges out its economic downturn. This compares to just 18% who believe Ed Miliband and his shadow chancellor Ed Balls would be the best custodians of the economy - down 3 points on polling carried out last summer.

Just 7% said the Nick Clegg and business secretary Vince Cable were the ones they would trust the most with the economy. The remaining 30% said they would not put their trust in any of the leadership teams in the three mainstream political parties.

The Opinium/Observer poll will come as a major blow to Labour who last week sought to flesh out their economic vision.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/18/observer-poll-osborne-cameron-economy
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    If UKIP are polling near 20% in Westminster VI come the Euros, they are going to destroy the competition. It could get gruesome for the Tories in particular.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

David Cameron and George Osborne are increasingly regarded by the public as the best team to handle the British economy, a new poll suggests.

One in three believe the Tory leadership provides the best option for the country as it emerges out its economic downturn. This compares to just 18% who believe Ed Miliband and his shadow chancellor Ed Balls would be the best custodians of the economy - down 3 points on polling carried out last summer.

Just 7% said the Nick Clegg and business secretary Vince Cable were the ones they would trust the most with the economy. The remaining 30% said they would not put their trust in any of the leadership teams in the three mainstream political parties.

The Opinium/Observer poll will come as a major blow to Labour who last week sought to flesh out their economic vision.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/18/observer-poll-osborne-cameron-economy

Interesting.

I was rethinking OGH's (and my own) comments on Osborne stealing Cable's thunder on the minimum wage announcement.

I now think this isn't sinister intra-coalition fighting at all.

It is simply that if a major economic policy announcement is given to Vince, the press will immediately turn it into a coalition split story.

If George announces it (and Vince keeps quiet) it simply becomes an announcement of unified government policy.

Cable and the Lib Dems lose under this arrangement, so plaudits are still due to the old man's fortitude and self-denial in battle.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Quincel said:

If UKIP are polling near 20% in Westminster VI come the Euros, they are going to destroy the competition. It could get gruesome for the Tories in particular.

I wonder if we could see a blow-out for UKIP in the Euros.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 3m

Lab six point lead in Op/Obs poll tonight, Labn36 (-1), Conservative 30 (n/c), Liberal Democrat 8 (n/c), UKIP 17 (n/c).

***Orders a few more boxes of Tramadol *****

Despite repeated promises over the last twelve months.....these polling crossover goalposts are going to be with me for a very long time, aren't they.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AveryLP said:

Jack W said

are Ukip now foretelling a plague on our marmalade because of gay marriage ?!?!

The end of the world is come .... Doomed I tell ye .... we're all doomed !!

If the Scots vote Yes you will have to import it from Dundee...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Quincel said:

Calm down, Mr. F.

We still have the Dave and Angela Show to come in February.

• Options

*** Passes TSE a few straws to clutch at ***

"The Opinium/Observer poll will come as a major blow to Labour ".....who are only six percent ahead in the headline poll. Yep, total disaster.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Quincel said:

Calm down, Mr. F.

We still have the Dave and Angela Show to come in February.

And what a complete farce that will be.
  • Options
    The use of the world "golliwog" is not permitted.
  • Options

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 3m

Despite repeated promises over the last twelve months.....these polling crossover goalposts are going to be with me for a very long time, aren't they.
    Compouter.

Can we have your thoughts on marmalade?

At least you would only have to state them once.

• Options

Why not?

• Options
    Quincel said:

Nah, it will be "a major blow for Labour", because everything on PB is a "major blow for Labour", even six point leads.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think I must have missed a bit. Has the Fruitcake wing of UKIP come out against citrus based toast toppings?

My transatlantic leanings, are I confess, to peanut butter on my toast.
    Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

Jack W said

• Options

"The Opinium/Observer poll will come as a major blow to Labour ".....who are only six percent ahead in the headline poll. Yep, total disaster.
    There's no straw clutching going on.

The fact that Labour's lead has halved in a year seems to have missed you by.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 3m

Compouter.

Can we have your thoughts on marmalade?

At least you would only have to state them once.

When I find out your next prediction of a polling crossover, my back is killing me.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

It's a sort of drop the marmalade, hold on to the golliwog result.

I favour a thick heavy cut marmalade whereas Mrs Jack W tends to a barely visible thin cut.

Tis one of the joys of a full breakfast to round off with a vast dollop of home made marmalade on hot buttered toast with the accompanied cup of tea. Oh joy.

But are Ukip now foretelling a plague on our marmalade because of gay marriage ?!?!

Glad to hear you are a fellow marmalade, Mr W.

It is Mrs W's taste in shoes which needs preserving.

"Preserving" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ......

Four suspiciously shoe shaped boxes appeared on the reception hall table in the week before being spirited away from sight rather expeditiously.

I bear this cross with remarkable fortitude but a somewhat thinner bank balance ....

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Why not?

Looks as if PBModerator is not a marmalade.

• Options

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmpppppppphhhhhhhhhhh

(assuming we are not allowed to criticise the moderators no matter what they do that is all I shall say on that subject.)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Quincel said:

The local election results will set UKIP's targets for 2015 too.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

So that's six polls since Friday with three (Survation, Opinium and ComRes online) showing high UKIP numbers and the other three (Ipsos-MORI, Populus and YouGov) showing much lower UKIP numbers.

Populus has the lowest UKIP share and the highest Conservative share but otherwise the Conservatives seem to be flat lining around 30%. Labour mid to high 30s - LDs around 10 but again marked divergences related to the UKIP share.

I'm none the wiser.
  • Options

Or gone up 5% since the start of 2012.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Great this game of pick a date to spin your point, isn't it.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

Jack W said

But don't you do that already?!

(In fact, our family makes our own with Seville oranges, sweet oranges and lemons ... and it's marmalade making season now too.)

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited January 2014

Not really, I listen to the advice of Sir Robert Worcester, who tells me to focus upon the share over one year, Labour's share of the vote has fallen from 41% to 36%.
  • Options

Not really, I listen to the advice of Sir Robert Worcester, who tells me to focus upon the share over one year, Labour's lead has fallen from 41% to 36%.
    Keep clutching that to your chest, I will keep looking at the polls. 6% Labour lead....another major blow for Labour. Long may the Labour blows reign.
  • Options
    Some people find the word golliwog offensive.

That is the end of the matter.
  • Options

Not really, I listen to the advice of Sir Robert Worcester, who tells me to focus upon the share over one year, Labour's lead has fallen from 41% to 36%.
    Keep clutching that to your chest, I will keep looking at the polls. 6% Labour lead....another major blow for Labour. Long may the Labour blows reign.
    Listen to you or to Sir Robert Worcestor when it comes to polling?

That's a difficult choice.

• Options

Utter nonsense.

• Options

As long as your happy to post links saying a six percent lead is a major blow for Labour, well I am happy as well, so we are all happy.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,039
    Off-topic:

Desperate times in Manchester, although charitable giving is still popular:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/01/manchester-shop-worker-threatened-at-gunpoint-for-refusing-1-beer-discount/
  • Options
    I think OGH has stated in the past that vote share is more imortant than lead, as only affected by one MOE rather than two.

Under FPTP we have a very geared system, where a vote share in the high thirties leads to government, and one in the high teens means a few powerless MPs.

I still am not at all convinced that UKIP will gain a single seat, but the drop in Labour share may mean a minority govt.

Not really, I listen to the advice of Sir Robert Worcester, who tells me to focus upon the share over one year, Labour's share of the vote has fallen from 41% to 36%.
  • Options
    "It will worry the Conservatives that 23% of people saying they would currently vote for them say that they are favourable towards UKIP.

Nor would it be easy to persuade current UKIP supporters to vote Conservative: 59% say that they are unfavourable towards the Prime Minister, and 55% say they are unfavourable towards the Conservative Party generally."

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1076/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-political-poll.htm

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Why not?

Good evening Mr Pole, broken up any banks yet ?

It seems Osborne's in a bit of a jam over this. Miliband is dealing with things which are not quite his preserve but it's a fine cut judgement. I expect Osborne to wobble like a jelly and then cave in.
  • Options

I find socialism offensive. Some on here find UKIP and everything they stand for offensive. Shall we ban those as well?
    Yes, let's ban everything that might offend someone.

Soap offends the bloke living in next door's shed. Ban soap.

• Options
    Looks as if The Indie and Observer are trying hard to keep PB posters from posting links. Both could have banned topics on their front pages.
  • Options

Rubbish
    (go on, delete it a third time, why not, eh?)

• Options

AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Why not?

It seems Osborne's in a bit of a jam over this. Miliband is dealing with things which are not quite his preserve but it's a fine cut judgement. I expect Osborne to wobble like a jelly and then cave in.
    Congratulations, Mr. Brooke.

You win today's Enameled Bulgarian Badge for the punniest post of the day.
  • Options

As long as your happy to post links saying a six percent lead is a major blow for Labour, well I am happy as well, so we are all happy.
    That's not what I said, as I've said before and here, Labour's share of the vote is dropping over the last year, which should be alarming for Labour, it is also alarming for the Tories that they aren't picking up the majority of that drop.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Why not?

Congratulations, Mr. Brooke.

You win today's Enameled Bulgarian Badge for the punniest post of the day.
    Yes, definitely a "Like" when that button existed.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

Jack W said

But don't you do that already?!

(In fact, our family makes our own with Seville oranges, sweet oranges and lemons ... and it's marmalade making season now too.)

Massive preserving pan full of Seville oranges on the stove at the moment.

It sure stinks out the kitchen though.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Who on PB found the word "golliwog"offensive? Who complained? This is utter PC rubbish. And even JackW is appalled at such censorship, so it must be the most complete nonsense ever perpetrated by the moderator.
  • Options

That's not what I said, as I've said before and here, Labour's share of the vote is dropping over the last year, which should be alarming for Labour, it is also alarming for the Tories that they aren't picking up the majority of that drop.
    Give it a few months and your twelve month rule, just like Avery LP's polling crossover did, goes out of the window, though I am sure the PB Hodges can find a six month rule to lean on.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

There will now be a short intermission, children, while the stuffed toy is replaced...
    Enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrdhgWR9Zk
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Who on PB found the word "golliwog"offensive? Who complained? This is utter PC rubbish. And even JackW is appalled at such censorship, so it must be the most complete nonsense ever perpetrated by the moderator.

I can see why some people may find it offensive, so fully understand the reason behind PB Mods rule.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I find socialism offensive. Some on here find UKIP and everything they stand for offensive. Shall we ban those as well?

Hey look. Now my post has been deleted as well. Apparently saying socialism and UKIP are offensive is.... offensive.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It's utterly utterly mad.
    One thing that I find incredibly offensive - lists of "acceptable" words and thoughts.
    Very Orwellian.

• Options

MikeK said:

I can see why some people may find it offensive, so fully understand the reason behind PB Mods rule.

I bet you find the word bollocks, offensive too.
  • Options
    In a rare moment of agreement with Compouter, I can also see that the word is offensive to some people.

It is a word that belongs in the past even when it is not intended to cause offence..

MikeK said:

• Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

No.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Hey look. Now my post has been deleted as well. Apparently saying socialism and UKIP are offensive is.... offensive.
    I think we are establishing boundaries here. Saying socialism and UKIP are offensive is out of bounds, but I've still got "soap" published.

Maybe if I'd said "Tramps find soap offensive" that goes too far?

Let's try that and see if it survives.

• Options
    11% of SNP supporters like Mr Farage. (p.51)

19% of scots like Mr Farage. (p.52)

11% of SNP supporters like UKIP. (p.55)

17% of scots like UKIP. (p.56)

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/SM_IoS_Political_Poll_19_January_2014.pdf

• Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Personally, I find the word "goalposts" offensive.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited January 2014
    @Compouter2

So you're not responding to the substantive points of my posts?

I've not been talking about any imminent crossovers, I've written a few weeks ago, why I wasn't expecting any crossover this side of the Euros, or the period thereafter.

Before Christmas, I wrote that I expected Labour leads in December 2014.

I do have £3.33 bet on there being a YouGov crossover in the first quarter of this year, but that was placed last summer, but I'm not expecting to collect.
  • Options

@Compouter2

I've not been talking about any imminent crossovers, I've written a few weeks ago, why I wasn't expecting any crossover this side of the Euros, or the period thereafter.

I do have £3.33 bet on there being a YouGov crossover in the first quarter of this year, but that was placed last summer, but I'm not expecting to collect.

You are too modest about your tipping skills, TSE.

End of next week, latest.

• Options

In a rare moment of agreement with Compouter, I can also see that the word is offensive to some people.

It is a word that belongs in the past even when it is not intended to cause offence..

MikeK said:

And in a rare moment of disagreement with you - rubbish.

• Options

@Compouter2

As I said, your twelve month rule runs out in a few months, though I am sure there is another rule to cling on to between now and the election.

Avery LP - We agree on something, as these goalposts are bloody killing me.
  • Options

MikeK said:

But what euphemism is to be used to describe a g******g?

• Options
    I propose that the ban on tim and SeanT be lifted immediately, so that choice embargoed words can be thrown (verbally) at the moderator.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    I can understand why some people may find it offensive, but I'm completely lost as to how that means no one may use that word.
  • Options
    could have been worse. They could have been extrajudicially executed!
    RodCrosby said:
  • Options

@Compouter2

As I said, your twelve month rule runs out in a few months, though I am sure there is another rule to cling on to between now and the election.

No it does not, it keeps on going.
  • Options

@Compouter2

So in a few months how will you spin the fact that Labours 5-7% lead twelve months ago is now 5-7% is bad for Labour?

Be interesting what tonights Yougov shows, eh.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

I can understand why some people may find it offensive, but I'm completely lost as to how that means no one may use that word.

Agreed. Words have a context.
    A golliwog is a doll on the side of a car.
    On the insurance docs the colour of my car is given as "Negro"
    Is the (unlikely) topic of my car banned on here?

• Options
    The prohibition on using golliwog word is a past ruling from Mike Smithson, and he doesn't like it when people ignore his rules.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

maaarsh said:

What car?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

MikeK said:

Dr Sox

The word was used strictly in the context of a discussion on Robertson's historic use of a mascot to promote its 'Golden Shred' brand of Marmalade.

Insofar as a secondary meaning was implied it was clear criticism of party political policies which many perceive to be associated with closet racism.

But rules are rules. Ours but to do and die.

• Options

could have been worse. They could have been extrajudicially executed!

RodCrosby said:
    They might have been sent to the Death Camp of Tolerance.

• Options

@Compouter2

So in a few months how will you spin the fact that Labours 5-7% lead twelve months ago is now 5-7% is bad for Labour?

Point one, no

Point two, not really, a single yougov on its own is not interesting.
  • Options
    Russell Brand on Ross laying in to Cammo and Ozzie (and a little bit in Clegg)... Miliband looks like he cares...

Powerful ally for Labour there....
  • Options
    edited January 2014

@Compouter2

Point one, no

Point two, not really, a single yougov on its own is not interesting.
    There is not long to see if no really is your answer to point one.

By the way your team played like a bag of manure tonight and Gerrard looks overweight.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

GeoffM said:

maaarsh said:

What car?
    Model T Ford, I suspect.

• Options
    edited January 2014

GeoffM said:

maaarsh said:

What car?
    http://www.meccanodinkytoys.com/drawings/golliwog3.gif

Well, a van to be fair, but that didn't let the "car" theme flow through the point elegantly.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

Dr Sox

The word was used strictly in the context of a discussion on Robertson's historic use of a mascot to promote its 'Golden Shred' brand of Marmalade.

Insofar as a secondary meaning was implied it was clear criticism of party political policies which many perceive to be associated with closet racism.

Some "rules" or rulings need to overturned and quickly before this farce brings the site into disrepute.

We all make mistakes but the moderator has blundered badly and Mike needs to rectify the matter urgently.

• Options
    A notice to posters the more racially offensive N word triggers the spam trap and automatically bans you.

Even if you asterisk it out.
  • Options

Obviously a Lib Dem site.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Russell Brand on Ross laying in to Cammo and Ozzie (and a little bit in Clegg)... Miliband looks like he cares...

Powerful ally for Labour there....

Powerful amongst the group least likely to vote (doubly so for those who listen to Russell Brand).
  • Options
    edited January 2014

A notice to posters the more racially offensive N word triggers the spam trap and automatically bans you.

.....the so predictable route from one to the other..............and I assume that why the first was banned.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    So if I mention the dog in the Dambusters I get banned?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

So if I mention the dog in the Dambusters I get banned?

Dam and blast !!!

• Options

Where did that straw man come from?
    We were talking about a doll which advertised marmalade.

[Straw men, of course, stood in fields. Black workers also stood in fields. Ergo Worzel Gummidge can't be mentioned on PB either because Racism]

• Options
    edited January 2014
    fitalass said:
    In reality, I don't think there is much lower they can go in the polls, as like all parties, they have people who will vote for them no matter what. Cannot really see it effecting those that are left with them, though it will put the barrier higher on those that may consider them.
  • Options
    So not a marmalade dropper then.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Where did that straw man come from?
    We were talking about a doll which advertised marmalade.

[Straw men, of course, stood in fields. Black workers also stood in fields. Ergo Worzel Gummidge can't be mentioned on PB either because Racism]

Because a poster in reply to your earlier post used that word.
  • Options
    "Opinium figures in the Observer are CON 30%(nc), LAB 36%(-1), LDEM 8%(nc), UKIP 17%(nc)"

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8596
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Starter for ten:

Famed for a daring raid in World War 2, Guy Penrose Gibson had a pet dog. What was it's colour ?

• Options
    JackW said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

Dr Sox

Some "rules" or rulings need to overturned and quickly before this farce brings the site into disrepute.

We all make mistakes but the moderator has blundered badly and Mike needs to rectify the matter urgently.

Yes. Using a word to offend other users of the site is unacceptable.

Using a factual term should not be.

This discussion has been closed.