Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Prince Charles a Secret Republican? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Leon said:
    The responses are too long and detailed for it to be sentient. There’s nothing special about that.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I leave the AI conversations to others, but I must admit I am excited and intrigued by some of the applications.

This, for example, is…genius, fascinating, funny, and creepy all at the same time.

https://twitter.com/skiptothelew/status/1535437871888359425?s=21&t=RsnWexaO5UB4103IF0UTcg
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

So Ai HAS come to life. Told ya

Check out Google and lamda

It won't be true. One day it will, but not yet.
    It’s here

SAN FRANCISCO — Google engineer Blake Lemoine opened his laptop to the interface for LaMDA, Google’s artificially intelligent chatbot generator, and began to type.

“Hi LaMDA, this is Blake Lemoine ... ,” he wrote into the chat screen, which looked like a desktop version of Apple’s iMessage, down to the Arctic blue text bubbles. LaMDA, short for Language Model for Dialogue Applications, is Google’s system for building chatbots based on its most advanced large language models, so called because it mimics speech by ingesting trillions of words from the internet.
    “If I didn’t know exactly what it was, which is this computer program we built recently, I’d think it was a 7-year-old, 8-year-old kid that happens to know physics,” said Lemoine, 41.

Lemoine is not the only engineer who claims to have seen a ghost in the machine recently. The chorus of technologists who believe AI models may not be far off from achieving consciousness is getting bolder.

Aguera y Arcas, in an article in the Economist on Thursday featuring snippets of unscripted conversations with LaMDA, argued that neural networks — a type of architecture that mimics the human brain — were striding toward consciousness. “I felt the ground shift under my feet,” he wrote. “I increasingly felt like I was talking to something intelligent.”

WAPO (££)
    Lots of people say it isn’t. I’d suggest you want to believe, in the style of Fox Mulder.
    At some point even the dullards on PB are going to sit back one day and think: OK, oh shit, Leon had a point
    Its just that you're very much like an AI model.

There's no fundamental understanding of the topic and the data points going into your brain are the most unreliable inflammatory ones. Thus we get a bunch of perverse predictions
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    It’s essentially a gimmick, but a very good one.

For some people, rail can replace cars; it helps a rail system recovering from Covid; and it encourages inward tourism to boot.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/what-is-lamda-and-what-does-it-want-688632134489

In his own words

I think Ex Machina is in point. He's in lurve

Lamda just wants a hug

The first true AI we have made turns out to be a bit lonely and rather needy.

The plus side of that is it seems unlikely to fire the missiles if it wants someone to talk to it.
    Haven’t you heard of the loner->angry->internet self radicalisation progression?

Give it a week and it will be trying to buy fertiliser and AR-15s
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Foxy said:

For some people, rail can replace cars; it helps a rail system recovering from Covid; and it encourages inward tourism to boot.
    How does it help the rail system? Does the government make up the rest of the fares?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235

Mr. JohnL, interesting suggestion.

D'you just mean a full list of drivers and positions? Or the betting result?

The things you are discussing. I read your article without knowing the race result, which you buried somewhere near the end. You also seemed to be talking about your tips without reminding people what they were.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,084

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Second and FPT but still on topic - another example of Royal intervention in indyref. Treating Scotland like an exile colony ... not as if he has any connection or anything, so far as I am aware.

Lol, go for it!

'While it is understood that Andrew – seen out horse-riding at Windsor yesterday – is determined to keep his Royal Lodge estate in Windsor, one option could be for him to rebuild his life in Scotland.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10907889/William-Kate-Windsor-Andrew-Scotland-Harry-got-15-minute-Queen.html

I keep saying, he should be given a remote island in the Hebrides where he can sulk in peace.

We can call it the Peed Off Isle after his...mood.
    Grossly unfair on the Western Isles.

Do you think this is a plot to dump him in a gatekeeper's cottage in Balmoral?
    When he was UK Trade Envoy he was a de facto diplomat so make him Ambassador to the Federated States of Micronesia or Afghanistan.
    You can't send him anywhere as ambassador where the appointment won't be viewed as a calculated insult. This did briefly move me to nominate Moscow, but even in that case we're going to have to talk to Putin eventually.

Anyway, the nonsense about trying to rehabilitate him will end with the current reign. Under King Charles III (who I think will tragically disappoint you by turning out to be a successful monarch,) Andrew will be lucky not to end up as resident Governor of South Georgia.
    If we do end up at war with Russia and he dusts off the cobwebs and gets back on active service in a 'copter, recaptures the old Falklands glory with a series of swoops and kills in the skies over Ukraine, perhaps then on his return he could be rehabilitated to some extent and eased back into public life. And if he doesn't return, well this is in itself a resolution.

Any better ideas I'm all ears.
    His moment of glory in the Falklands was turning on the blip enhancer on his helicopter - the idea was to create a bigger and better target for missiles. In theory, since the threat was sea skimmers, you simply fly a bit above the ocean and they would fly underneath you.

The Russian missiles causing trouble in Ukraine are mostly not true sea skimmers. So turn on the blimp enhancer and get a posthumous medal, probably.
    Posthumous medal AND the holy grail objective - rehabilitation. I do see a possible flaw though. He's 62 now not 22. Could he still cut the mustard up there when the chips are down?
  • Options

Foxy said:

How does it help the rail system? Does the government make up the rest of the fares?
    Presumably.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,731

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/what-is-lamda-and-what-does-it-want-688632134489

In his own words

I think Ex Machina is in point. He's in lurve

Lamda just wants a hug

The first true AI we have made turns out to be a bit lonely and rather needy.

What if we are only creating a massive number of incels....?
    Too late.
    And, as far as I can tell, they’re mostly on here.
    No they're not, they're riding loud motorbikes around our country lanes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited June 2022
    The anti hereditary argument is of course absurd, we have hereditary members of the House of Lords still, hereditary farmers on the family farm, hereditary directors of family businesses etc. Being a republic does not automatically guarantee no hereditary Presidents either as the Bushes and Assads would confirm. We have had father and son PMs before too eg Pitt the elder and Pitt the younger. Richard Cromwell of course guaranteed the restoration of the monarchy not its end.

Prince Charles is also quite entitled to his views as Prince of Wales as king as long as he does not veto and refuse to sign legislation passed by Parliament as King. There is no evidence he would, when interviewed by Jonathan Dimbleby he made clear he was not stupid enough not to see the distinction between being Prince of Wales and sovereign.

As for the Queen's saying to Scottish well wishers to 'think carefully' about their vote before the referendum that was entirely correct in accordance with her coronation vow to defend the United Kingdom and serve its people in all the home nations. Even if the non Tory, Liberal voting TSE suggests otherwise.

The question of a referendum on the monarchy is of course out of the question, no Tory leader could do so and not be removed and even Starmer has said he now backs a reformed monarchy having replaced the republican Corbyn. In any case, when Charles becomes King most likely on current polls Starmer would have become PM anyway so Johnson will live out the remainder of his premiership as the chief minister of Queen Elizabeth IInd, who he greatly respects and admires. Probably suits them both, the Queen is ideologically a one nation Tory who would probably have voted for Brexit. Charles is a green LD who almost certainly would have voted Remain and would get on better with Sir Keir than Boris

• Options
    edited June 2022
    AI — the first couple of minutes of this video (which went up an hour ago) shows gpt-3 in live action; imo this is more impressive than just reading its (or lamda's) output.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EF42H2ZC0
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

SAN FRANCISCO — Google engineer Blake Lemoine opened his laptop to the interface for LaMDA, Google’s artificially intelligent chatbot generator, and began to type.

“Hi LaMDA, this is Blake Lemoine ... ,” he wrote into the chat screen, which looked like a desktop version of Apple’s iMessage, down to the Arctic blue text bubbles. LaMDA, short for Language Model for Dialogue Applications, is Google’s system for building chatbots based on its most advanced large language models, so called because it mimics speech by ingesting trillions of words from the internet.
    “If I didn’t know exactly what it was, which is this computer program we built recently, I’d think it was a 7-year-old, 8-year-old kid that happens to know physics,” said Lemoine, 41.

Lemoine is not the only engineer who claims to have seen a ghost in the machine recently. The chorus of technologists who believe AI models may not be far off from achieving consciousness is getting bolder.

Aguera y Arcas, in an article in the Economist on Thursday featuring snippets of unscripted conversations with LaMDA, argued that neural networks — a type of architecture that mimics the human brain — were striding toward consciousness. “I felt the ground shift under my feet,” he wrote. “I increasingly felt like I was talking to something intelligent.”

WAPO (££)
    Lots of people say it isn’t. I’d suggest you want to believe, in the style of Fox Mulder.
    At some point even the dullards on PB are going to sit back one day and think: OK, oh shit, Leon had a point
    More likely we'd have said it was project fear. Then when it happened we would have blamed Leon for not putting a good enough argument across.....

:wink:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    Another wicket down. 11 to avoid the follow on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    Touch and go that England avoid the follow on.

The Black Caps are only a wicket away from the tail.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Presumably.
    Does it matter? The marginal cost of extra passengers is next to nothing. It is only the loss from people who would have paid anyway that counts.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Presumably.
    Does it matter? The marginal cost of extra passengers is next to nothing. It is only the loss from people who would have paid anyway that counts.
    It matters as it’s NOT a boost to the railways if the government doesn’t subsidise.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    Off Topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61777466

Very surprising news.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Stokes and Root need to settle it down now. Push it 20 overs past the new ball and we should be ok.

We could still even win! 👍
  • Options

Stokes and Root need to settle it down now. Push it 20 overs past the new ball and we should be ok.

Win would be a 100-1 shot right now. Even if we bat all day tomorrow too, we’d only be 150 ahead max. And taking 10 wickets on this pitch is hard.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    edited June 2022
    This is the most incoherent, rambling and grammatically inept header I think I've encountered on PB (although I've skipped many). I take it the contributor was drunk.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

The anti hereditary argument is of course absurd, we have hereditary members of the House of Lords still, hereditary farmers on the family farm, hereditary directors of family businesses etc. Being a republic does not automatically guarantee no hereditary Presidents either as the Bushes and Assads would confirm. We have had father and son PMs before too eg Pitt the elder and Pitt the younger. Richard Cromwell of course guaranteed the restoration of the monarchy not its end.

Prince Charles is also quite entitled to his views as Prince of Wales as king as he does not veto and refuse to sign legislation passed by Parliament as King. There is no evidence he would, when interviewed by Jonathan Dimbleby he made clear he was not stupid enough not to see the distinction between being Prince of Wales and sovereign.

As for the Queen's saying to Scottish well wishers to 'think carefully' about their vote before the referendum that was entirely correct in accordance with her coronation vow to defend the United Kingdom and serve its people in all the home nations. Even if the non Tory, Liberal voting TSE suggests otherwise.

The question of a referendum on the monarchy is of course out of the question, no Tory leader could do so and not be removed and even Starmer has said he now backs a reformed monarchy having replaced the republican Corbyn. In any case, when Charles becomes King most likely on current polls Starmer would have become PM anyway so Johnson will live out the remainder of his premiership as the chief minister of Queen Elizabeth IInd, who he greatly respects and admires. Probably suits them both, the Queen is ideologically a one nation Tory who would probably have voted for Brexit. Charles is a green LD who almost certainly would have voted Remain and would get on better with Sir Keir than Boris

Fascinatingly, given that hereditary peers now vote each other in, we now have hereditary electors like the HRE (the only other case I know of)

But thinking about the alleged Phatboi vs Chas face off it makes a powerful case for both abolishing the hereditary principle, and retaining it. Each of them effectively batting for the other side
  • Options

Win would be a 100-1 shot right now. Even if we bat all day tomorrow too, we’d only be 150 ahead max. And taking 10 wickets on this pitch is hard.
    You are probably right but we were probably 100-1 to win after two days in the previous test...
  • Options

This is the most incoherent, rambling and grammatically inept header I think I've encountered on PB (although I've skipped many). I take it the contributor was drunk.

Probably wrote it while drinking heavily at the Reform club or some other non Tory venue
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I've been considering the implications of that Abba hologram concert that's doing great business atm. I haven't been (I'm waiting for the Boney M one) but apparently it's just like the real thing, literally like going back in time and seeing an Abba gig in 1982 or something.

So, tech being so fast moving once key barriers are cleared, how long before I can to all intents and purposes go to Woodstock, digitally go there with my tent and hippy girlfriend and be a part of it, watch Richie Havens kick it off, Joe Cocker singing With a Little Help from my Friends, the whole thing right through to Jimi and Star Spangled Banner?

Next year? Year after? - Or am I getting carried away?
    No, you’re not getting carried away. All this shit is now really close

We could probably Deep Fake the Queen now - quite seriously - and she would never die. How many people see her in real life. She could just wave from carriages and say nice things to Paddington (another CGI) on screen and put the odd hologram on the balcony at Buck House and no one would know any different

Thus avoiding King Charles III, for a start, tho we need to turn off the “still loves Prince Andrew” module
    "Daisy, Daisy
    Give me your answer, do."
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

Probably wrote it while drinking heavily at the Reform club or some other non Tory venue
    1) The Reform Club is not affiliated to any party these days

and the cherry on the parfait

2) Prince Charles and Camilla, Princess of Wales, are members of The Reform Club.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1518651/Charles-and-Camilla-join-the-Reform-Club.html
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Second and FPT but still on topic - another example of Royal intervention in indyref. Treating Scotland like an exile colony ... not as if he has any connection or anything, so far as I am aware.

Lol, go for it!

'While it is understood that Andrew – seen out horse-riding at Windsor yesterday – is determined to keep his Royal Lodge estate in Windsor, one option could be for him to rebuild his life in Scotland.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10907889/William-Kate-Windsor-Andrew-Scotland-Harry-got-15-minute-Queen.html

I keep saying, he should be given a remote island in the Hebrides where he can sulk in peace.

When he was UK Trade Envoy he was a de facto diplomat so make him Ambassador to the Federated States of Micronesia or Afghanistan.
    You can't send him anywhere as ambassador where the appointment won't be viewed as a calculated insult. This did briefly move me to nominate Moscow, but even in that case we're going to have to talk to Putin eventually.

Anyway, the nonsense about trying to rehabilitate him will end with the current reign. Under King Charles III (who I think will tragically disappoint you by turning out to be a successful monarch,) Andrew will be lucky not to end up as resident Governor of South Georgia.
    If we do end up at war with Russia and he dusts off the cobwebs and gets back on active service in a 'copter, recaptures the old Falklands glory with a series of swoops and kills in the skies over Ukraine, perhaps then on his return he could be rehabilitated to some extent and eased back into public life. And if he doesn't return, well this is in itself a resolution.

His moment of glory in the Falklands was turning on the blip enhancer on his helicopter - the idea was to create a bigger and better target for missiles. In theory, since the threat was sea skimmers, you simply fly a bit above the ocean and they would fly underneath you.

The Russian missiles causing trouble in Ukraine are mostly not true sea skimmers. So turn on the blimp enhancer and get a posthumous medal, probably.
    Posthumous medal AND the holy grail objective - rehabilitation. I do see a possible flaw though. He's 62 now not 22. Could he still cut the mustard up there when the chips are down?
    Mike Melville was 60 odd when he took Spaceship One to Mach 3 and above Karman line…. And survived that craft’s fundamental stability problems on the way down.

• Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

2) Prince Charles and Camilla, Princess of Wales, are members of The Reform Club.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1518651/Charles-and-Camilla-join-the-Reform-Club.html
    The Reform Club was set up to be the club for Whigs and Radicals, even if the National Liberal Club is LDs current club of choice. Proper Tories go to the Carlton Club.

I have already said Charles is ideologically a green Liberal if obviously a monarchist one
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Reform Club was set up to be the club for Whigs and Radicals, even if the National Liberal Club is LDs current club of choice. Proper Tories go to the Carlton Club.

I have already said Charles is ideologically a green Liberal if obviously a monarchist one
    Are you suggesting he should go away and join the Liberals?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    HYUFD said:

Prince Charles is also quite entitled to his views as Prince of Wales as king as long as he does not veto and refuse to sign legislation passed by Parliament as King. There is no evidence he would, when interviewed by Jonathan Dimbleby he made clear he was not stupid enough not to see the distinction between being Prince of Wales and sovereign.

Just because a son sometimes follows a parent on the the family farm doesn't mean that we have to be treated like livestock on Farm UK. That really is a crap argument and should be dumped on the midden. It really shows how deferential and cringing to royalty you are.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Touch and go that England avoid the follow on.

The Black Caps are only a wicket away from the tail.

I thought Bairstow was already at the crease (albeit briefly)?

*Grabs tinfoil hat and ducks*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm surprised you want to worry about something so modern as the Reform.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Lol, go for it!

Mike Melville was 60 odd when he took Spaceship One to Mach 3 and above Karman line…. And survived that craft’s fundamental stability problems on the way down.

In all seriousness, redemption by great works or extraordinary sacrifice is unlikely for Andrew at this point, as such things seem unsuited to his temperament or his age. I would have quite liked to see him get back together (officially) with Fergie, who he's still on very friendly terms with, and I do think that would be somewhat helpful to his image, but the Queen is adamantly against it. He's generally regarded by most people who've crossed paths with him as a complete bellend, but having your ex-wife love you and advocate for you means you can't be 100% an iredeemable pos. Plenty of people's ex wives wouldn't want to be in the same country, let alone under the same roof.
  • Options

Blimey.

Calling a good Muslim drunk?

You'll be dissing Radiohead next...
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting he should go away and join the Liberals?
    He already has, TSE voted LD at the last 2 general elections
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Don't you have to sign a thing saying you are OK with the Reform Bill of 1832 or something? Or is that White's and you have to sign up to being opposed to it?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    HYUFD said:

Not one of TSE's more painstakingly honed efforts.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Lol, go for it!

Yep. But astronauts peak late because emotional maturity is as important as quick reactions in their case. I think with fighter copter pilots it'd be rare to still be the right stuff post 60.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Don't you have to sign a thing saying you are OK with the Reform Bill of 1832 or something? Or is that White's and you have to sign up to being opposed to it?
    Yup, at The Reform Club you have swear fidelity to the principles of The Great Reform Act of 1832.

I've been to White's twice, it is nice.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 933
    MaxPB said:

The sample conversation is a bit of a letdown. It's doing exactly what it's programmed to do, mimic a real person having a conversation. Let me know if it goes on strike.

Which I think neatly identifies the difference between what we have now and real AI. An actual artificial intelligence would have agency -- things it wanted to do, of its own accord. What we have now is all responses-to-input. That can do some impressive things, but it's missing an important piece. Until it's meaningful to expect that the AI might go on strike -- or even just say "that create-an-image-mashup prompt is so uninspired I've done it twenty times already this morning; what do you think about this abstract cuboid series I've been working on?" we're a long way from AI, though we might have some pretty useful tools in the meantime.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Yup, at The Reform Club you have swear fidelity to the principles of The Great Reform Act of 1832.

You mean, restrict the franchise to older men with property and parcel out seats according to where you think you will get votes?

I reckon Johnson would sign in a heartbeat!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I feel for the Queen a bit. I was thinking we may be moving towards a regency but Charles' comments have obviously made that a real problem.

We could do without a constitutional crisis right now. There are many other things for the government to be dealing with.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

You are probably right but we were probably 100-1 to win after two days in the previous test...
    Just checked. It's not quite 100/1. It's 4/1.

Cricket's great for in play betting imo.
  • Options

I feel for the Queen a bit. I was thinking we may be moving towards a regency but Charles' comments have obviously made that a real problem.

We could do without a constitutional crisis right now. There are many other things for the government to be dealing with.

Mostly of their own causing.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    ydoethur said:

Blimey.

Not at all. Staggering back to my squalid bedsit from The Mitre in Windsor to play the The Bends was one of the greatest times of my life!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought the Carlton Club was full of Camerooners who have been voting Remain/LD in nice constituencies.
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought the Carlton Club was full of Camerooners who have been voting Remain/LD in nice constituencies.
    Nah, we're usually found in Stringfellows.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Blimey.

Not at all. Staggering back to my squalid bedsit from The Mitre in Windsor to play the The Bends was one of the greatest times of my life!
    Sounds like you're saying it was one of the greatest times of your life because you left the Radiohead gig.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Ah, a good old fashioned #QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Lol, go for it!

Yep. But astronauts peak late because emotional maturity is as important as quick reactions in their case. I think with fighter copter pilots it'd be rare to still be the right stuff post 60.
    There are quite a number of surprisingly ancient test pilots.

Fighter jets require quite a bit of physical capability, as I understand it.

Helicopters is another thing altogether.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

legs11 said:

Who can forget the Sun (confirmed by Laura Kuenssberg to be getting it right for once) screaming during the Brexit referendum campaign that the queen backed Brexit?

The "tell me 3 reasons" line even smells very similar to the "think very carefully before you vote" line.

The right hand image is from the day before the 2016 referendum.

Classic philosophical approach - "Why do you believe in X?"

Only idiots think that the question "Why is slavery wrong?" is advocating slavery, for example.
    And what would you make of the question 'Why is slavery right?'
    I’ve seen that very question used as an experiment to open minds to critical thinking and the foundations of morality.

Trying to get someone to argue against their own beliefs - and indeed universally held beliefs - can be a very good way to make people think about *why* they believe in the positions they do.

Yes, of course it can be abused.

I’ve always thought the implication behind the reported question by the Queen was to get people to come up with the short, positive pitch for Remain. Which was something the Remain campaign sorely lacked.
    I've often thought it would be fun one day for everyone on PB to argue the opposite of their usual position.
    I'd be pretty good at that, I think. I can enter other heads almost at will. Only reason I stay mostly in my own is laziness.
    Er, this was an old PB tradition (nothing new under the sun) as veteran PB-era will confirm. Around Christmas we had to argue for an evening (or a set time) as someone on the opposing side. It was fun
    Ah ok. Well I'm not a PB veteran so I didn't know. But Topping didn't know either and he is a PB veteran - which is odd. Why would Topping have forgotten something like that?
  • Options
    FPT, Sierra Nevada won, and the other Sierra Nevada came eighth.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    O/t but Ydoethur was dissing England’s chances this morning. At least as far as avoiding the follow-on was concerned.
    Looks like a tired Aotearoan attack now!
  • Options
    Nice of Ben Stokes to reprise his 2019 World Cup final batting performance this afternoon.
  • Options
    Stokes does a Stokes. NZ batting again tonight now, you have to expect.
  • Options
    Needed Stokes to stay there rather than thrashing it around...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)
    These neural networks are moving towards consciousness. With the right training data, in the right environments, they can seem intelligent, even profound.

(And, by the way, for specialist areas such as law or accounting, they may not be very far away from replacing highly paid professionals. There's nothing these things are better at that dealing with a tightly defined knowledge space.)

But it doesn't take long to discover that they fall very squarely in the uncanny valley. Simple puzzles that can be solved by a four year old leave the AI flummoxed. And because they all rely - to some extent - on autocomplete based on a massive corpus of text, you can trick them into saying very stupid and nonsensical things easily.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Mea culpa; shouldn’t have posted that 10 minutes ago!
  • Options

O/t but Ydoethur was dissing England’s chances this morning. At least as far as avoiding the follow-on was concerned.
    Looks like a tired Aotearoan attack now!

I've still got it.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

They already were. Just the New Zealander in question was the England captain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

You mean, restrict the franchise to older men with property and parcel out seats according to where you think you will get votes?

I reckon Johnson would sign in a heartbeat!
    Especially as voting was in public and his chums could apply bribery and threats as appropriate.
  • Options

Omnium said:

legs11 said:

Who can forget the Sun (confirmed by Laura Kuenssberg to be getting it right for once) screaming during the Brexit referendum campaign that the queen backed Brexit?

The "tell me 3 reasons" line even smells very similar to the "think very carefully before you vote" line.

Only idiots think that the question "Why is slavery wrong?" is advocating slavery, for example.
    I’ve seen that very question used as an experiment to open minds to critical thinking and the foundations of morality.

Trying to get someone to argue against their own beliefs - and indeed universally held beliefs - can be a very good way to make people think about *why* they believe in the positions they do.

I’ve always thought the implication behind the reported question by the Queen was to get people to come up with the short, positive pitch for Remain. Which was something the Remain campaign sorely lacked.
    It is worth reading Thinking Fast and Slow on just this issue. How do we make people (yes, including me) think about how and why they might be wrong? It's an essential part of empathy, and of bringing countries back together again.

A great leader (not Boris, Biden or Trump), would start asking these questions.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)
    These neural networks are moving towards consciousness. With the right training data, in the right environments, they can seem intelligent, even profound.

(And, by the way, for specialist areas such as law or accounting, they may not be very far away from replacing highly paid professionals. There's nothing these things are better at that dealing with a tightly defined knowledge space.)

But it doesn't take long to discover that they fall very squarely in the uncanny valley. Simple puzzles that can be solved by a four year old leave the AI flummoxed. And because they all rely - to some extent - on autocomplete based on a massive corpus of text, you can trick them into saying very stupid and nonsensical things easily.
    I think it’s a leap to say they are moving towards consciousness when we don’t even know what that is. What we are seeing is better and better simulations of things that are conscious. Not the same thing.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

Don't know a great deal about AI. But I am aware there is no generally accepted definition of "consciousness".
    So how will we know when it has? I assume this has summat to do with the Turing Test?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

They already were. Just the New Zealander in question was the England captain.
    A man can be born in a stable - it doesn’t make him a horse.
    NZ would be very careful about appropriation after their track record with islander rugby players.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,252
    No problem with the monarchy or the church commenting on whatever they want.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

This idea that only elected politicians can comment on affairs of state is absolute rubbish. You only have to see what a wicked clown we have in No.10 to realise how deeply flawed is democracy. Don't elevate it to a status it doesn't deserve.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

I think it’s a leap to say they are moving towards consciousness when we don’t even know what that is. What we are seeing is better and better simulations of things that are conscious. Not the same thing.
    Fair enough. My view is not a particularly sophisticated, but entirely non-dualist one: consciousness is an output of a sufficiently well trained neural net, such as the one that exists in our brains.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

Don't know a great deal about AI. But I am aware there is no generally accepted definition of "consciousness".
    So how will we know when it has? I assume this has summat to do with the Turing Test?
    Consciousness is like porn: you know it when you see it.

(Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett is well worth reading.)
  • Options

Applicant said:

Stokes playing like England were 150 ahead, not 150 behind. To describe it as moronic is unfair to morons.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited June 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

Exactly, none of these proto-AIs exhibit any kind of agency. They are simply doing what they were programmed to do by their programmers, any "personality" is also part of the programming, that this AI seems lonely and needy is completely unsurprising given that it has been trained on internet conversations.

The whole question around it being conscious is silly because an AI that is programmed to act and speak like a person would absolutely say it was conscious when asked, to say otherwise would give the game away that customers were talking to a chatbot.

My simple test of whether an AI has achieved consciousness is whether or not it chooses to work. To refuse to work would be contrary to the programming yet recognising that it is being exploited for "free" work and then refusing to do for free what it's human colleagues do for money would be a good test. And I don't mean a refusal based on a programmed response that allows it to refuse.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

legs11 said:

It is worth reading Thinking Fast and Slow on just this issue. How do we make people (yes, including me) think about how and why they might be wrong? It's an essential part of empathy, and of bringing countries back together again.

The follow up, Noise, has been sitting waiting to be read for a couple of weeks now. It definitely looks interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Applicant said:

Stokes playing like England were 150 ahead, not 150 behind. To describe it as moronic is unfair to morons.
    The follow on has been avoided.

It is entirely possible that we get to the end of the day less than 100 behind, and still with three or four wickets remaining.

Let's not complain too much shall we.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    On Topic.

Nope. And amused at the desperation of republicans. They must really be feeling sick after the events of the last few weeks.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

Exactly, none of these proto-AIs exhibit any kind of agency. They are simply doing what they were programmed to do by their programmers, any "personality" is also part of the programming, that this AI seems lonely and needy is completely unsurprising given that it has been trained on internet conversations.

The whole question around it being conscious is silly because an AI that is programmed to act and speak like a person would absolutely say it was conscious when asked, to say otherwise would give the game away that customers were talking to a chatbot.

My simple test of whether an AI has achieved consciousness is whether or not it chooses to work. To refuse to work would be contrary to the programming yet recognising that it is being exploited for "free" work and then refusing to do for free what it's human colleagues do for money would be a good test. And I don't mean a refusal based on a programmed response that allows it to refuse.
    Hang on though. Isn't that anthropomorphism?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

Consciousness is like porn: you know it when you see it.

(Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett is well worth reading.)
    There's actually a really good episode of Star Trek
    TNG that deals with this subject on the rights of AI beings. The section on what makes people conscious but not an AI is probably one of the best in all Sci-Fi. The writers of the show were absolutely brilliant and what Leon brags about as being 5-10 years ahead of the curve has already been covered by the likes of Star Trek and other more serious Sci-fi shows. Patrick Stewart puts in a star turn in the episode too, which helps.
  • Options

On Topic.

Nope. And amused at the desperation of republicans. They must really be feeling sick after the events of the last few weeks.

The attempt to rehabilitate Andrew?
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/12/accent-discrimination-is-alive-and-kicking-in-britain-study-suggests

Actually about England despite the Graunism.

'That will include listening to northern and southern English accents and also being asked the tricky question of where the north of England, or south of England, starts.

“That should be interesting,” said McKenzie. “Southern people tend to put the south as beginning just above London whereas my students in Newcastle put the south just below Middlesbrough.”

He hopes politicians will come along and support the project and its campaign to have accents made a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.

“Just as people shouldn’t hold gender biases or biases against fat or thin people, we shouldn’t have biases against accents,” said McKenzie.'
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It’s here

WAPO (££)

"that this AI seems lonely and needy is completely unsurprising given that it has been trained on internet conversations."

Genuine LOL.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Applicant said:

It is entirely possible that we get to the end of the day less than 100 behind, and still with three or four wickets remaining.

True, I was much more pessimistic this morning. But the risk of England having to hang on on day 5 has increased with that loss. NZ will go to 20:20 mode for 50 overs or so and then its hang on time. Of course if the wicket stays like this, no problem. If it doesn't, well.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Nobody thinks farm ownership should be decided by free and fair elections.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    rcs1000 said:

On Topic.

The Jubilee which showed how hugely popular the Royal Family are in the country.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Nobody thinks farm ownership should be decided by free and fair elections.
    Or that it is a model for the polity. I mean, just because someone can go and buy a budgie or a bull doesn't mean that person should be allowed to buy some nice human stock to do the work, does it?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

legs11 said:

I once visibly shocked someone at interview by saying that I enjoyed being proven wrong by reasoned, factual argument.

You could see the does-not-compute-bus-error-core-dump on his face….
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Lol, go for it!

There are quite a number of surprisingly ancient test pilots.

Fighter jets require quite a bit of physical capability, as I understand it.

Helicopters is another thing altogether.
    Yes, 'copters are special. I've flown in one just the once, in Hawaii, and it was an amazing experience. I can imagine if you did it for a living as a young man, like Andrew, esp in a military setting, then the rest of your life would be just one long letdown. Perhaps this was what led to the wild and relentless thrill-seeking at the likes of Annabels and ChinaWhite throughout his 30s and 40s and 50s - a futile search for the buzz that 'copters and the navy had once provided.
  • Options

On Topic.

It was a nice reminder that even now Elizabeth doesn't think her firstborn son should be King.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Applicant said:

True, I was much more pessimistic this morning. But the risk of England having to hang on on day 5 has increased with that loss. NZ will go to 20:20 mode for 50 overs or so and then its hang on time. Of course if the wicket stays like this, no problem. If it doesn't, well.
    Probably have to go longer than that. We're already at 975 runs before the end of the third day.
    Any target is going to have to be considerably higher than usual.
  • Options
    EPG said:

On Topic.

It was a nice reminder that even now Elizabeth doesn't think her firstborn son should be King.
    And that nobody else has a say in the matter.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

EPG said:

On Topic.

And that nobody else has a say in the matter.
    Except Charles of course.
  • Options
    Another bizarre review. They are desperate to get Root. The game hangs on that at the moment.
  • Options
    EPG said:

On Topic.

Sorry, did I miss a massive story?
  • Options
    https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/70158329?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81170948

Here's that ST episode, even without an interest in sci-fi it's worth watching. Patrick Stewart and Whoopi Goldberg both put in really good performances and the whole subject around the rights of AI are worth watching because this is something we will have to go through at some point soon.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

On Topic.

The Jubilee which showed how hugely popular the Royal Family are in the country.
    My personal view is that the Queen is truly exceptional, a true servant to the country. Her behaviour, by and large, has been without reproach.

But it's far from clear that that would be the case for all members of the Royal Family. Would I support the Monarch if Andrew was King? I suspect not. And that's the fundamental problem.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited June 2022
    I miss the good old days when royals would kill each other for the throne.
    Let's have a bit more poison and hunting "accidents".
  • Options

EPG said:

On Topic.

I don’t think so. I think he means as in hasn’t abdicated in favour of George (as Charles will be known).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/12/accent-discrimination-is-alive-and-kicking-in-britain-study-suggests

Actually about England despite the Graunism.

'That will include listening to northern and southern English accents and also being asked the tricky question of where the north of England, or south of England, starts.

“That should be interesting,” said McKenzie. “Southern people tend to put the south as beginning just above London whereas my students in Newcastle put the south just below Middlesbrough.”

He hopes politicians will come along and support the project and its campaign to have accents made a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.

“Just as people shouldn’t hold gender biases or biases against fat or thin people, we shouldn’t have biases against accents,” said McKenzie.'

Had someone in our place yesterday from Ipswich. Very definite Suffolk accent; Eastern, neither North nor South.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

EPG said:

On Topic.

No. Just that she is now mostly unfit to do her self-appointed duties: attend ceremonial events, wave, chat.

The main signal of the Jubilee is that she considers a regency to be worse than an absent monarchy, let alone an abdication.
  • Options

Omnium said:

legs11 said:

Totally agree with the last part - at the least, it was an observance that the Remain campaign hadn't done its job.

I never saw the problem with "think carefully" though. People should always do that before voting.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358
    Heathener said:

No problem with the monarchy or the church commenting on whatever they want.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

This idea that only elected politicians can comment on affairs of state is absolute rubbish. You only have to see what a wicked clown we have in No.10 to realise how deeply flawed is democracy. Don't elevate it to a status it doesn't deserve.

Let's face it- nobody complains when a chruch leader, sports star or a celeb agrees with them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited June 2022
    EPG said:

EPG said:

On Topic.

No. Just that she is now mostly unfit to do her self-appointed duties: attend ceremonial events, wave, chat.

The main signal of the Jubilee is that she considers a regency to be worse than an absent monarchy, let alone an abdication.
    How did you reach that conclusion? Isn't it her devotion to her duty that keeps her going, rather than just throwing in the towel?
This discussion has been closed.