Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Polls like this make a confidence vote more likely – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited June 2022 in General
Polls like this make a confidence vote more likely – politicalbetting.com

Westminster Voting Intention:LAB: 40% (+1)CON: 31% (-2)LDM: 14% (+2)GRN: 5% (=)SNP: 4% (=)RFM: 3% (-1)Via @RedfieldWilton, 25 May,Changes w/ 22 May.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Cycling: if someone is stopped in a car at some lights and they are in that box meant for cyclists, I vindictively put myself in the middle and take it nice and easy when the light goes green.
    If the car is stopped before the cycle box, I get out of their way as quick as is safe for me.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Good.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Cycling: if someone is stopped in a car at some lights and they are in that box meant for cyclists, I vindictively put myself in the middle and take it nice and easy when the light goes green.
    If the car is stopped before the cycle box, I get out of their way as quick as is safe for me.

Second, like the motorist. Edzited: third, cos another cyclist has cut in front.

Unless he thinks you are trying to commit suicide by motorist and wants to be obliging?

I wouldn't take the risk ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ⚡️ Deputy Defense Minister: Russians are storming Ukrainian positions ‘simultaneously in different areas.’

According to Hanna Maliar, Ukraine’s losses “are inevitable” since the situation at the frontline remains difficult, with the signs of further escalation.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1529833671183765507
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,294
    edited May 2022
    An important poll. If it's backed up by constituency soundings, Johnson is still in trouble.

I wouldn't think he is safe until after the by-elections. If the Conservatives lose those heavily, as I now expect, then he is in big trouble.

As Mike is right to remind us: the challenge to Margaret Thatcher's leadership came only a few weeks after the shock loss of the Eastbourne by-election on 18th October 1990.

Just like then, some people said she was here to stay. "For all her problems, Margaret Thatcher is still firmly in control," Claude Adams reported on The National on Nov. 7, 1990, nearly a week after Geoffrey Howe's stunning resignation on 01st November. "Nobody in the Conservative Party has the stature or the will to seriously challenge her leadership right now. The betting is that any real challenge will come after the next election."

Yet eight days later, Thatcher had a formal challenger — Michael Heseltine. The rest, as they say, is history.

From that by-election on 18th October to the Geoffrey Howe resignation on 01st November was under a fortnight.

It could be argued that the Eastbourne by-election was what cost Margaret Thatcher her premiership.

The same could be true for Boris Johnson of Wakefield and Tiverton & Honiton. Red Wall / Blue Wall. If both go, he might.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    IshmaelZ said:

⚡️ Deputy Defense Minister: Russians are storming Ukrainian positions ‘simultaneously in different areas.’

According to Hanna Maliar, Ukraine’s losses “are inevitable” since the situation at the frontline remains difficult, with the signs of further escalation.

A lot of ominous news, now

We are soon gonna be asked some hard questions, maybe. How far we will go to support the Ukes
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Farooq said:

It's when people pull out from behind park cars and drive towards you, expecting you to take the gutter, that really annoys me. I've made people reverse before.
  • Options
    In light relief: Italian bloke found dead in Pompeii:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/26/pompeii-victim-genome-successfully-sequenced-first-time

(actually rather interesting they can do that with such cooked stuff)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

An important poll. If it's backed up by constituency soundings, Johnson is still in trouble.

I wouldn't think he is safe until after the by-elections. If the Conservatives lose those heavily, as I now expect, then he is in big trouble.

As Mike is right to remind us: the challenge to Margaret Thatcher's leadership came only a few weeks after the shock loss of the Eastbourne by-election on 18th October 1990.

Just like then, some people said she was here to stay. "For all her problems, Margaret Thatcher is still firmly in control," Claude Adams reported on The National on Nov. 7, 1990, nearly a week after Geoffrey Howe's stunning resignation on 01st November. "Nobody in the Conservative Party has the stature or the will to seriously challenge her leadership right now. The betting is that any real challenge will come after the next election."

Yet eight days later, Thatcher had a formal challenger — Michael Heseltine. The rest, as they say, is history.

From that by-election on 18th October to the Geoffrey Howe resignation on 01st November was under a fortnight.

It could be argued that the Eastbourne by-election was what cost Margaret Thatcher her premiership.

The same could be true for Boris Johnson of Wakefield and Tiverton & Honiton. Red Wall / Blue Wall. If both go, he might.

Fingers crossed
  • Options
    Heathener said:

He won't.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,492
    It seems inappropriate to compare Boris to Thatcher, but I wonder who the 'Jeffrey Howe' of this administration will be.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Power slips away slowly then rapidly.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    Turn up for the books, 5 politicians on QT tonight....recently it has been more like 2 politicians, and 3 from z-list celeb, comedian, author...The way its going, I wouldn't be surprised in Leon doesn't make an appearance at some point representing Flint Knappers Monthly magazine.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

A fair analysis, which misses only one point: Starmer’s promise to resign

If Starmer goes, after a FPN, it is difficult to know what that will happen. It will certainly overshadow everything else - good for Boris - but it will also leave Boris more exposed as a hypocrite.

Yet Labour will be in turmoil (esp if we presume that Rayner goes as well). A wildcard
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: He ain't going nowhere, I'm sorry to say.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,078
    So even after the Gray report Labour fails to post a lead of 10% or more and the poll was taken before the extra funds announced to help households with energy bills today
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

If Starmer goes, after a FPN, it is difficult to know what that will do. It will certainly overshadow everything else - good for Boris - but it will also leave Boris more exposed as a hypocrite.

Yet Labour will be in turmoil (esp if we presume that Rayner goes as well)
    I can't see how he gets a FPN now. It seems Johnson may have avoided various fines because he was carrying out management duties deemed "essential" for work according to David Allen Green. This included farewell events with a toast.

If that is the case, then Starmer driving his campaign team on late into the night fuelled by a curry is also "essential" and his "duty" as leader.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    Sadly the modern day Conservative Party is largely made up of political catamites bred to service Boris Johnson.

It's almost like the Corbyn cult (sic).

There's only a handful of us in the rebel alliance.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    HYUFD said:

So even after the Gray report Labour fails to post a lead of 10% or more and the poll was taken before the extra funds announced to help households with energy bills today

You really are dense. Labour 9% up plus the LibDems on the march mean you're fucked.

Marvellous.
  • Options

Turn up for the books, 5 politicians on QT tonight....recently it has been more like 2 politicians, and 3 from z-list celeb, comedian, author...I way its going, I wouldn't be surprised in Leon doesn't make an appearance at some point representing Flint Knappers Monthly magazine.

It would have to be via video link from some beautiful Mediterranean fishing village with a gin in hand.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

Sadly the modern day Conservative Party is largely made up of political catamites bred to service Boris Johnson.

@Tissue_Price was on form the other day.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

He's been excellent.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I wonder more and more if he saw what Ruth Davidson did in Scotland and wanted some of that for himself. Jolly TV persona, former journo, jokey, photo ops, no real politics other than one salient issue which can be gone on and on and on about, remodels party once takes over.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

He always is.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

It seems inappropriate to compare Boris to Thatcher, but I wonder who the 'Jeffrey Howe' of this administration will be.

None of them. The Cabinet is a collection of cowards who mostly wouldn't be running a whelk stall if Johnson wasn't Clown in Chief.

Say what you like about Maggie but she put heavyweights in her cabinet because she was deadly serious about governing. Johnson has never been serious in his life.
  • Options

Is this a meeting from said rebel alliance?

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/databank_ewok_01_169_747db03a.jpeg?region=0,0,1560,878&width=768
  • Options

Turn up for the books, 5 politicians on QT tonight....recently it has been more like 2 politicians, and 3 from z-list celeb, comedian, author...I way its going, I wouldn't be surprised in Leon doesn't make an appearance at some point representing Flint Knappers Monthly magazine.

It would have to be via video link from some beautiful Mediterranean fishing village with a gin in hand.
    Not sure that it would be wise to Lawrence Fox his knapping career...
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

A lot of ominous news, now

We are soon gonna be asked some hard questions, maybe. How far we will go to support the Ukes
    I think this tweet by Garry Kasparov (part of a very good thread) is key:

Putin knows the weapons will get there, in less than a month, so he is desperate to push the story of a stalemate, to get a ceasefire he won't honor. Under that cover he will consolidate territory, continue annexation, and liquidate any resistance. He's done it before. 4/13

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1529875173859549186
    That is powerful. WTF are the French and Italians doing? He doesn’t spare them

Hungary we all know about
  • Options
    Who is Tissue Price?
  • Options
    Leon said:

That is powerful. WTF are the French and Italians doing? He doesn’t spare them

Hungary we all know about

Yep. He maybe overstates it a bit, but the thrust of what he says is right.
  • Options

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/databank_ewok_01_169_747db03a.jpeg?region=0,0,1560,878&width=768
    Talking about The Ewoks.

Honestly Disney also own the rights to the Alien franchise, they could create the greatest crossover event since Avengers: Endgame.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

It would certainly be more interesting than usual. Especially when at times distracted from the question by a nubile young lady passing by his table or asking the waiter for his 5th litre of local surprisingly good vino served in a rustic vessel.
  • Options

Who is Tissue Price?

Betting guy, currently trying a new career.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Who is Tissue Price?

He is Aaron Bell - Conservative MP for Newcastle under Lyme
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

If Starmer goes, after a FPN, it is difficult to know what that will do. It will certainly overshadow everything else - good for Boris - but it will also leave Boris more exposed as a hypocrite.

Yet Labour will be in turmoil (esp if we presume that Rayner goes as well)
    I can't see how he gets a FPN now. It seems Johnson may have avoided various fines because he was carrying out management duties deemed "essential" for work according to David Allen Green. This included farewell events with a toast.

If that is the case, then Starmer driving his campaign team on late into the night fuelled by a curry is also "essential" and his "duty" as leader.
    Yes, it seems improbable he will get a FPN. But who knows. And who decides?!

And what if Starmer gets a rap on the knuckles like Cummings? That will be severely awkward but survivable. But that helps Boris

At first glance this all seems ridiculously trivial, but in fact, it isn’t. This is a proxy debate for the real debate on Were Lockdowns Justified
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361
    No Tory poll leads for 5 months and 20 days,,,
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/26/pompeii-victim-genome-successfully-sequenced-first-time

If we are doing archaeology

An analysis of fossilised faeces found near Stonehenge suggests the people who built the monument ate raw cattle organs and shared the leftovers with their dogs

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2321267-the-people-who-built-stonehenge-may-have-eaten-raw-cattle-organs/#ixzz7UQA9Etbi

I told you they were Welsh
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

If Starmer goes, after a FPN, it is difficult to know what that will happen. It will certainly overshadow everything else - good for Boris - but it will also leave Boris more exposed as a hypocrite.

Yet Labour will be in turmoil (esp if we presume that Rayner goes as well). A wildcard
    Would there be that much turmoil? If someone on the far left gets into the endgame, maybe. But do the Cult of Jez have the numbers of the figurehead for that? Doubt it rather.

Personally rubbish for Starmer if he has to go over this. Having hauled Labour back from La La Land, he deserves a better sendoff, at the very least. But if he goes (unlikely, but you never know), it would be with some dignity and honour.

And that would turn the spotlight back on Bozza. And if he has to be dragged out in disgrace (his chance for a dignified resignation has long gone), the next Conservative leadership election could be an utter circus.
  • Options
    eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Talking about The Ewoks.

Honestly Disney also own the rights to the Alien franchise, they could create the greatest crossover event since Avengers: Endgame.
    Don't give them ideas, they already busy trashing great characters like Bobo Fett.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    Not in this case, Aaron is open about it. Its no secret, I believe he even asked if any PBers would like to help him on the campaign trail at the last GE.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Good policy. Not at all vindictive :-) .

Taking primary is the way to maximise the likelihood of being seen. And is now officially advised.

Not a safe manoeuvre when there is any serious possibility of said person driving a car having their head in their phone / child concerns / backside.

The alternative consideration is that it's safer being behind a gormless idiot, rather than in front of one.

:smile:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    Not in this case, Aaron is open about it. Its no secret, I believe he even asked if any PBers would like to help him on the campaign trail at the last GE.
    It's a small wonder he won.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323
    HYUFD said:

Yes, it's only one poll and of course we need to see how today's good news is received.

It could be that the voting public will be reassured, or maybe it will perceive the measures as a cynical distraction.

Not sure which it will be.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    No, Aaron is fine with it.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/09/28/lessons-from-labours-conference-for-the-conservatives/

• Options
    edited May 2022
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    If he loses his seat at the next GE, it will be a huge shame. More MPs like him required. Had proper career prior to becoming an MP, intelligent, considered and independently minded.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Who is Tissue Price?

A PBer currently on furlough as the MP for (iirc) the posh bit of Stokey.

Majority of 17%.

Asked a very good straight, factual question of BoJo which put the failures in plain sight but was asking for a decent step forward.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

An analysis of fossilised faeces found near Stonehenge suggests the people who built the monument ate raw cattle organs and shared the leftovers with their dogs

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2321267-the-people-who-built-stonehenge-may-have-eaten-raw-cattle-organs/#ixzz7UQA9Etbi

That’s shit science.

Pun aside the article I read was based on IIRC 1 human and 5 dog samples.

https://www.livescience.com/stonehenge-fossilized-feces-with-parasitic-worms
  • Options
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    My knocking up the voters and campaigning skills are awesome.

I've helped the Tories gain several MPs, really proud about helping Andrea Jenkyns win her seat.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MattW said:

Who is Tissue Price?

Posh is relative term when it comes to Stoke and surroundings, and Eddie Hall recently moved into his constituency, so definitely taken it down market!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Who is Tissue Price?

Posh bit of Stoke, have you ever been?

It's a shit hole.
  • Options

Talking about The Ewoks.

Don't give them ideas, they already busy trashing great characters like Bobo Fett.
    Looking forward to Kenobi.

Not going to watch it until next weekend I fear.

Match in Paris Saturday and then I'm going to binge Season 4a of Stranger Things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

None of them. The Cabinet is a collection of cowards who mostly wouldn't be running a whelk stall if Johnson wasn't Clown in Chief.

Say what you like about Maggie but she put heavyweights in her cabinet because she was deadly serious about governing. Johnson has never been serious in his life.
    And Cecil Parkinson.
  • Options

MattW said:

Who is Tissue Price?

It's a shit hole.
    I had a report from the Garden Festival in 1986 iirc.

"Relatively" posh bit of Stokey :-) .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited May 2022

Tissue Price

(edit-A bit late. Any prizes for most popular answer?)

• Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

You missed out the sheep shagging
    😀
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And Cecil Parkinson.
    You gotta have a bit of eye candy even if you are Methodist! :wink:
  • Options

MattW said:

Who is Tissue Price?

It's a shit hole.
    I have a soft spot for the Potteries, I had many good nights out there with a friend at Keele Uni.

I think he will be OK there, one of the Red Wall seats with least swing to Labour IMO.
  • Options

It would certainly be more interesting than usual. Especially when at times distracted from the question by a nubile young lady passing by his table or asking the waiter for his 5th litre of local surprisingly good vino served in a rustic vessel.
    His summing up of his views on Remainers at the end of the programme as the last of that 5th bottle slips down would be box office TV! :lol:
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Farooq said:

Paris, mid-70s. I had an Australian colleague at the OECD who was nudged by a car when crossing the road. He gave the driver a look and the car was nudged against him again. So he walked round the back of the car, kicked the rear lights in and calmly walked on. He later became Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575
    Heathener said:

One of the curious 'Ifs' of history. Eastbourne would have been held by the Tories if the practice then was as now, not to contest a seat following an assassination of an MP.

And the rest of UK history may have worked out differently.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Second, like the motorist. Edzited: third, cos another cyclist has cut in front.

Unless he thinks you are trying to commit suicide by motorist and wants to be obliging?

I wouldn't take the risk ...
    I think it depends what comes next on the road.

I normally view cycling in the gutter as more dangerous - as it closes off escape routes, and is full of crud. I would perhaps tend to take primary in the middle of the lane behind the idiot, so I cannot be hurt - but still have full control of the traffic flow behind.

Affected by things such as eg parked cars or other obstructions beyond the junction.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    No, Aaron is fine with it.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/09/28/lessons-from-labours-conference-for-the-conservatives/

Yeah was joking
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You really are dense. Labour 9% up plus the LibDems on the march mean you're fucked.

Marvellous.
    Still a hung parliament actually after the boundary changes

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=31&LAB=40&LIB=14&Reform=3&Green=5&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=19&SCOTLAB=26.5&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.5&SCOTGreen=2&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

Et quondam huius parochialis
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Paris, mid-70s. I had an Australian colleague at the OECD who was nudged by a car when crossing the road. He gave the driver a look and the car was nudged against him again. So he walked round the back of the car, kicked the rear lights in and calmly walked on. He later became Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia.

I have always thought that it is best to look drivers in the eye. They are less likely to run you over, as it is human instinct to look at someone who is looking at you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=31&LAB=40&LIB=14&Reform=3&Green=5&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=19&SCOTLAB=26.5&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.5&SCOTGreen=2&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=43.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    No way that result is anything other than a Starmer government.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

I have always thought that it is best to look drivers in the eye. They are less likely to run you over, as it is human instinct to look at someone who is looking at you.
    A Hornit or similar also helps for the non-attention payers. But they make pedestrians jump out of their skin, so a bell also required.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    algarkirk said:

Heathener said:

One of the curious 'Ifs' of history. Eastbourne would have been held by the Tories if the practice then was as now, not to contest a seat following an assassination of an MP.

Let us hope we are not looking back in 5 years time, Boris having proven to be prepared to replicate some of Fidetz's (sp?) electioneering tactics, doing the contra-counter-factual for the Southend West by-election.

I swear, ithat if that tragic situation arises again locally enough to me, that the major parties demur again and that the field looks likely to consist only of crazies, then I will stand as an Independent Moderate PPC.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Don't get too complacent.

I believe that that poll shows the highest margin (+23%) between the combined polling for Lab/LDs and that of the Cons of any R&W poll since the general election. If the Tiverton and Wakefield by-elections show that the Lab and LD vote shares are starting to concentrate mainly where each party has the best chance of winning, it would be folly for you to continue to judge the Conservatives' prospects based on the size of the deficit to Labour alone.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

You really are really dense.

Don't look at this individual poll. Look at the trend.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

And don't assume that the Labour and LD votes will continue to be as inefficiently distributed as they were in 2019.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

I was in the back of a taxi on Euston Road when a woman on a zimmer frame stepped out in front of us. The driver braked hard and the car behind put his hand on his horn and kept it there. My driver slowly got out of the cab walked up to the other driver and said 'Would you like to run 'er over? I 'aven't got the 'eart'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

The trend is still Labour not getting a majority and a million miles from a 1997 style majority
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    algarkirk said:

Heathener said:

Nah.
    Only the exact timing was in any doubt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894

Talking about The Ewoks.

He was never a great character. He was barely a character at all

(Ok, probably in the extended stuff).
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

HEY MODS DOXXING!!!!!
    My knocking up the voters and campaigning skills are awesome.

I've helped the Tories gain several MPs, really proud about helping Andrea Jenkyns win her seat.
    I suspect Corbyn helped a lot of Tories win seats........
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    rcs1000 said:

And Cecil Parkinson.
    And John Moore.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234

Foxy said:

He always is.
    And he'll lose his seat at the next election.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Foxy said:

He always is.
    I'm confident he will hold his seat.

Just look at the council elections in his patch.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

Who is Tissue Price?

Et quondam huius parochialis
    Google translate knows Latin. Bing translate does not.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

The trend is still Labour not getting a majority and a million miles from a 1997 style majority
    Why is 1997 always the comparison?
    Nobody needs to win by '97 levels.
    Indeed, no one else in living memory has ever done so.
    You're basically saying it's a million miles from a record breaking defeat. So it's all OK.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    kle4 said:

Talking about The Ewoks.

Have not seen the series. Boba Fett was definitely a cult favourite, but I’ve no idea why. He played very small parts in two movies. Most odd.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Tres said:

Foxy said:

He always is.
    Good
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234

Tres said:

Foxy said:

He always is.
    I'm confident he will hold his seat.

Just look at the council elections in his patch.
    Oi, no experts!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

Looking at the trend appears to be a highly subjective process. If the past is anything to go by the trend is an undulating one, in which recently Tory and Labour both have extensive goes at being in the lead, and we are now well into a Labour one and due for a Tory revival. All trend predictions about the future tend to pick on some (perhaps preferred) feature, and in particular privilege the present moment.

Since the Dec 2019 election we have had two or three grey swans and a black one: Covid (the black one), Ukraine, the extent of energy price inflation, general inflation. A parliament which should have been all about post-Brexit has been about everything else.

We are barely half way through this parliament. The present moment is outrageously exceptional. I hope Labour lead the next government. Their chance of doing so (maj or min) is not much above 50%.

• Options
    Andy Fletcher has died.

First Ray Liotta, now this, today's a shitty day.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Tres said:

Foxy said:

He always is.
    Good
    You're that keen to have him back on PB posting? Don't you think that's a bit selfish?
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

kle4 said:

Talking about The Ewoks.

Have not seen the series. Boba Fett was definitely a cult favourite, but I’ve no idea why. He played very small parts in two movies. Most odd.
    Because he looked dope as fuck.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

No Tory poll leads since December 6th's Redfield und Wilton.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

538 has done some great analysis on "trends" in polling. Basically, outside of party primaries, the direction of polls in the last month(s) has zero predictive power. Things are as likely to reverse as they are to continue.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Tres said:

Foxy said:

He always is.
    Good
    You're that keen to have him back on PB posting? Don't you think that's a bit selfish?
    I would vote against him too. A decent bloke, but thats politics.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

Andy Fletcher has died.

At least he is now with his own personal Jesus. May he enjoy the silence, or rest in peace as some say.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

I was in the back of a taxi on Euston Road when a woman on a zimmer frame stepped out in front of us. The driver braked hard and the car behind put his hand on his horn and kept it there. My driver slowly got out of the cab walked up to the other driver and said 'Would you like to run 'er over? I 'aven't got the 'eart'
    I hope you explained to the taxi driver that London's congestion problems are exacerbated by the number of drivers with that attitude. A few grannies run over, and no-one would dare jaywalk.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Marvellous.

538 has done some great analysis on "trends" in polling. Basically, outside of party primaries, the direction of polls in the last month(s) has zero predictive power. Things are as likely to reverse as they are to continue.
    A random walk then.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Aslan said:

kle4 said:

Talking about The Ewoks.

Because he looked dope as fuck.
    English translation?
  • Options

Andy Fletcher has died.

Fletcher was about 1 week older than me. Worrying
  • Options
    boulay said:

Andy Fletcher has died.

At least he is now with his own personal Jesus. May he enjoy the silence, or rest in peace as some say.
    Ascension Day indeed.

This discussion has been closed.