Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This conclusion from Opinium’s Curtis must be right – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2022

One Conservative MP this afternoon: “Today is the day the Prime Minister is safe. Today is also the day the Conservatives lost the next general election .”

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1529454545801252865

Pretty much the "received wisdom".....which I'm usually sceptical about....

It's absolutely ridiculous making assumptions about the course of the next election two years ahead.

Three months ahead you can have a fair idea. Even then, lots can happen as we saw in 2017.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Drinking and debauchery - blackford

How dare they have these insane booze-soaked, coke and Ecstasy fuelled, pet-play hookers-on-trampolines midget sex Korean dwarf ice skating free love dope-on-motorbike orgies when the rest of us were….

Oh.

That is the most dull looking event, but Gray only published photos by the official photographer.

Here's a description of the 18 June 2020 event: "The event lasted for a number of hours. There was excessive alcohol consumption by some individuals. One individual was sick. There was a minor altercation between two other individuals." Dry civil service language, but clearly more of a piss up.
    The publication of the specific photos extraordinarily helpful to the PM. Publishing all the photos or none would have been more damaging, rather than just a handful of the official ones that they thought would be fine for the press anyway!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Don't worry Bozo is leading your party into the next election...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

I’m confused. Liz said the Uk were going to send ships to the Black Sea, didn’t she? It did seem weird…

And now she’s saying they’re NOT going to scrap the NIP?

The government are all over the place, like a mad woman’s breakfast.

Liz must be spitting nails this afternoon. All that effort and BigDog is saved.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Fishing said:

One Conservative MP this afternoon: “Today is the day the Prime Minister is safe. Today is also the day the Conservatives lost the next general election .”

It's absolutely ridiculous making assumptions about the course of the next election two years ahead.

Three months ahead you can have a fair idea.
    Ok but this is PB.

So get with the programme or go to politicalbanalities.com

I believe they are currently violently agreeing that Boris has a large majority, although some note it is no longer 80.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    The ConHome view:

Gray’s report and @BorisJohnson's future. Gulliver begins to break free from the cords that binds him.

https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1529469155145023489
  • Options

I’m confused. Liz said the Uk were going to send ships to the Black Sea, didn’t she? It did seem weird…

I find it simplest to assume all this governments policy announcements are simply to get favourable headlines in the Mail and Express, and not make the mistake of assuming they will be in line with future government actions.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502

Been at the cinema today watching Top Gun: Maverick, anything major happened whilst I was hors de combat in the cinema?

Putin resigned due to getting a Fixed Penalty Notice for War Crimes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

She's more full of shit than a colostomy bag.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,703

So was that it? All the past six months over that? "Meh" sums it up completely.

Time to move on from Partygate, Beergate and all these other trivial and puritanical -gates and concentrate on real issues like the Economy.

And the first thing to do to fix the Economy is the Conservatives should oust Boris Johnson and replace him with someone prepared to trim back the state and cut taxes rather than expand it and raise them.

The report is drily written, it doesn't actually go particularly in depth on lots of issues, but it is clearly damning. There was widespread partying at No. 10 in breach of COVID-19 regulations and senior leadership, including Johnson, bear responsibility.

People, like Lee Cain, were warning that these parties broke the rules. It is hard to see how Johnson can seriously claim that he had no idea of anything dubious going on. He clearly knowingly misled Parliament (and continues to do so).
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I find it simplest to assume all this governments policy announcements are simply to get favourable headlines in the Mail and Express, and not make the mistake of assuming they will be in line with future government actions.
    Yes, but this government has taken the “art” to extreme lengths. It’s literally one bullshit story one day, and a reversal the next.

They are lucky that their mean core voter is senile and literally mistakes his daughter for his long deceased wife.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Catching up.

Sounds like an extremely successful day for Starmer.

Johnson remains until next GE.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Scott_xP said:

As Prime Minister, Boris Johnson should...

Resign: 59%
    Remain: 30%

via @YouGov, 25 May

I think you're misreading the poll. It's

Re Sign (for another five years as PM): 59%
    Remain PM (for at least another five years): 30%

So, really it's 89% in favour of him staying.
  • Options

Yes, but this government has taken the “art” to extreme lengths. It’s literally one bullshit story one day, and a reversal the next.

They are lucky that their mean core voter is senile and literally mistakes his daughter for his long deceased wife.
    Think of it this way, if they actually put the navy in charge of policing crossings in the channel, then they could not announce they were going to do so a couple of times each year. And if the navy did not improve things they would be held to account and the merits of the policy challenged.

Whereas this way, they get the kudos for their announcement (and the desired opposite reaction from opponents) multiple times without ever being able to fail. It is a kind of weird genius.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    There will be a MASSIVE piss-up in Downing Street tonight...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

As Prime Minister, Boris Johnson should...

Resign: 59%
    Remain: 30%

via @YouGov, 25 May

I think you're misreading the poll. It's

Re Sign (for another five years as PM): 59%
    Remain PM (for at least another five years): 30%

So, really it's 89% in favour of him staying.
    I thought the PM to Leave no 10 had 52%?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There will be a MASSIVE piss-up in Downing Street tonight...

...work event!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521

Time to move on from Partygate, Beergate and all these other trivial and puritanical -gates and concentrate on real issues like the Economy.

And the first thing to do to fix the Economy is the Conservatives should oust Boris Johnson and replace him with someone prepared to trim back the state and cut taxes rather than expand it and raise them.

The report is drily written, it doesn't actually go particularly in depth on lots of issues, but it is clearly damning. There was widespread partying at No. 10 in breach of COVID-19 regulations and senior leadership, including Johnson, bear responsibility.

People, like Lee Cain, were warning that these parties broke the rules. It is hard to see how Johnson can seriously claim that he had no idea of anything dubious going on. He clearly knowingly misled Parliament (and continues to do so).
    Ultimately, the question is- do truth and lies matter?

It's clear that for some, truth is secondary to being told what they want to hear, or to top bants. There have probably always been people thinking that way.

But anyone who ever strapped themselves to the Johnson bandwagon knew what they were getting.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Been at the cinema today watching Top Gun: Maverick, anything major happened whilst I was hors de combat in the cinema?

Not really. Was it any good?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502

As I understand it, Truss was backing this proposal -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/23/lithuania-calls-for-joint-effort-on-russia-black-sea-blockade
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    DavidL said:

It was really good, I can understand why some people think the ending was a trifle silly, but I enjoyed it, as did the audience.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think Boris is actually very sorry at all.

Rubbish. Like every liar he is sorry that he got caught.

But enough. Time to move on.
    Nah either the PM

1) Lied to Parliament

or

2) Too stupid to realise he was at parties

Our enemies like Putin will be licking their lips at the UK having such a gullible Prime Minister.
    Boris is many, many things, most of them less than optimal. Gullible is not on the list.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Ultimately, the question is- do truth and lies matter?

It's clear that for some, truth is secondary to being told what they want to hear, or to top bants. There have probably always been people thinking that way.

But anyone who ever strapped themselves to the Johnson bandwagon knew what they were getting.
    Boris's theme tune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfjtdnUsls
  • Options
    Isn't there a scene in The Thick of It where Tucker mistreats a No 10 cleaner and has to beg her not to complain?

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Phatboi giving presser
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    Not sure this press conference was a good idea

It is difficult to watch and his mps must be in turmoil
  • Options

Is he making a botch of it, Big G?
  • Options

It is embarrassing
  • Options

Why would they watch it?

They know what he is going to say, and they know it will be bullshit.

Better off getting the pints in at the subsidised bar...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

Isn't there a scene in The Thick of It where Tucker mistreats a No 10 cleaner and has to beg her not to complain?

Ben Swain abuses her, Tucker has to persuade her not to go to the News of the World. I posted a link earlier.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    Is he safe? It doesn't need 54 letters to Brady at this stage, it could need a mere additional 6 or do. 'Safe' is the impression that there is no new groundswell against him, and that much is right, but a groundswell may not be needed.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575
    edited May 2022
    Fishing said:

Three months ahead you can have a fair idea. Even then, lots can happen as we saw in 2017.
    For 'assumptions' about unknowable future events read: 'probabilistic predictions' about the same, and you have the very reason for existence of PB. As in the very article at the head of this thread. It may be completely pointless, but it's what politics wonks do.

However, for the reasons indicated, I think a Tory majority at the next GE is about a 45% chance.

And, BTW, no-one seems to notice that we are not quite at the half way point of this parliament yet.

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Is he safe? It doesn't need 54 letters to Brady at this stage, it could need a mere additional 6 or do. 'Safe' is the impression that there is no new groundswell against him, and that much is right, but a groundswell may not be needed.

180 + of his mps have to vote him out

The question is are there that number at present
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    DavidL said:

The reviews have been fantastic.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Surely the essence of the situation is simple enough. By behaving as he has done, Johnson has sunk lower than any previous prime minister.

But as the Tory party has also sunk lower than ever before, they find it acceptable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Which is sadder, Boris claiming he was humbled or his shrills defending him here?

lol - nobody is defending him! Leon is the nearest - and he was only applauding a good beamer bowled at Starmer.
    Do you think he should resign now?
    I have consistently said since February he should resign.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    edited May 2022

Pro_Rata said:

Didn't need such a high proportion for Mrs T, as I recall, or Mr C for that matter.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Didn't need such a high proportion for Mrs T, as I recall, or Mr C for that matter.

They didn't have as many mps
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Thatcher was under a different system, and Cameron wasn't forced out, he flounced.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Downing Street Press Conference latest.

If anyone still has any respect for this lying ****, I feel sorry for them.

More front than Brighton!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Weren't the rules different then? It was a leadership election for Thatcher, and she didn't get enough of a majority above Heseltine to prevent a second round? Now it would be a simple yes/no vote.
  • Options
    Prediction: there will be virtually no press conferences during GE 2024 if Johnson is still leader.

• Options

Prediction: there will be virtually no press conferences during GE 2024 if Johnson is still leader.

Buy Fridge futures...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

I said 'proportion', not arithmetical total. But the matter is answered by others.
  • Options

If this one is anything to go by then yes, but will he be still in office then ?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Thatcher was under a different system, and Cameron wasn't forced out, he flounced.
    Quite. Mr C did not try to cling on.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Maggie did, didn't she? Conservative majority of about 100 after 1987.

Difference might be that Maggie soon recognised that a bare win under the rules wouldn't be enough. I don't see Johnson having a fraction of that class.

She walked. He will take it to full DRS, if not worse.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Quite. Mr C did not try to cling on.
    Had he stayed, he wouldn't have been "clinging on", he would just have been staying. There was no reason and no significant push for him to quit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

It doesn't have to be that way, you pillocks.....
  • Options

It's just an absolutely massive pair of bollocks.

The man has no shame.
  • Options

The man has no shame.
    By any standards he should have announced his resignation

I have no idea how this plays out but the responsibility now is with his mps
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Maggie did, didn't she? Conservative majority of about 100 after 1987.

Difference might be that Maggie soon recognised that a bare win under the rules wouldn't be enough. I don't see Johnson having a fraction of that class.

She walked. He will take it to full DRS, if not worse.
    She was strongly advised she would have to walk.
    "We fight on. We fight to win!"
    Was her instinctive reaction.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

The man has no shame.

And so he remains at No 10 until the next election...
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

The ConHome view:

Gray’s report and @BorisJohnson's future. Gulliver begins to break free from the cords that binds him.

https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1529469155145023489

Just 13 days before BJ catches up with Gordon Brown, and a few days more before overtaking the Iron Duke. These things matter, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_length_of_tenure
  • Options
    edited May 2022

The man has no shame.
    Unfortunately I now refuse to watch or listen to him, as I know he will be lying and/or incoherent, so I must rely on accounts from PB.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Voters spent 18 months telling Labour very clearly that they did not want Jeremy Corbyn to be Prime Minister. But Labour thought it knew best and so the Tories got an 80-seat majority in 2019. It's fascinating that it's the Tories that have not learned the lesson this teaches.
  • Options

The man has no shame.
    Unfortunately I now refuse to watch or listen to him, as I know he will be lying and/or incoherent, so I must rely on accounts from PB.
    You get a better class of lies and incoherence here.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    Why is he having a presser? He doesn’t have to. Odd
  • Options
    Another Tory MP, who sits on a four figure majority, tells me he is planning for his next job outside Parliament.

Seems reconciled to losing his seat - but his big fear is being associated with a grubby government

(And yes, he's submitted a letter)

https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1529460321156583424
  • Options

The man has no shame.

It's no secret I don't like Johnson but that press conference was beyond even my lowest expectations of the man. He was taking as through he was a surprised, no shocked, post events observer and not a participant. He used the Gray Report as a shield, yet the report hanged him.

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So he can say he has answered all questions and we should "move on"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

It is embarrassing
    What the feck is this shite about "fixing N Ireland after decades when no one else did."

He's the bloody idiot whose broken it.
    He lives in an imaginary world, not one anything like reality.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    I understand the report came out today, but I still think the site overplays partygate, and underplays cost of living.

Looking at the economic runes, I don't see how the coming winter is not the winter from hell for the tories.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Another Tory MP, who sits on a four figure majority, tells me he is planning for his next job outside Parliament.

Seems reconciled to losing his seat - but his big fear is being associated with a grubby government

That's not much of a clue. Nor much of an indication of his seat under threat either.
    If it's a 1k majority, then Big Dog is back. And he'd be wise to be making plans anyways.
    If it's 9k then it's a big story.
  • Options

The man has no shame.
    You are thus relying on some very unreliable witnesses in that case I suspect.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

I understand the report came out today, but I still think the site overplays partygate, and underplays cost of living.

Looking at the economic runes, I don't see how the coming winter is not the winter from hell for the tories.

Yeah.
    And for quite a few others too.
    If we get a severe winter which is long overdue, Christ alone knows.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    edited May 2022
    First Past The Post :

1. Charlie Falconer to finish his speech - 100/1
    2. Boris To Resign in 2022 - 5000/1
    3. Elvis To Escape The B52 On The Moon - 7/2
    4. "Leon" To Reincarnate As Sir Beer Karma - 2/5 Fav
    5. Putin To Centrefold In Gay Times - 69/1
  • Options

Sir Beer Korma is quite witty, although I can’t raise a smile. It’s clear Boris doesn’t do humility.

Personally I don’t think it helps Boris if it sticks, it merely reminds us of the whole Partygate affair in which Boris was caught bang to rights partying and lying about it (according to the vast majority of voters).

It also give Starmer a man of the people image. Bottled lager and a takeaway curry? Shows he isn't such a stuffed shirt after all.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    Leon said:

It means that the reporting will focus on his answers to the questions from the Very Important Journalists - who as we learned from Covid are not the sharpest tools in the box.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

First Past The Post :

1. Charlie Falconer to finish his speech - 100/1
    2. Boris To Resign in 2022 - 5000/1
    3. Elvis To Escape The B52 On The Moon - 7/2
    4. "Leon" To Reincarnate As Sir Beer Karma - 2/5 Fav
    5. Putin To Centrefold In Gay Times - 69/1

Nice.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

First a Rail strike then other sectors, including NHS. Welcome to the Seventies.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,883
    Disgraceful comments from Johnson re NI . Where fxck was he when Major and then Blair were sorting out the Good Friday Agreement .

What an utterly loathsome excuse for a human being .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

This all seems like Fair Comment from the BoJo the Bozzmeister

"Boris Johnson is responding to Keir Starmer.

He says that during Covid Starmer was “sniping from the sidelines and veering from one position to the next”.

In his response today, Starmer failed to show “common sense”, he claims. He says Starmer failed to appreciate the context of what happened. He says the boundaries between work and socialisting became blurred.

He accuses Starmer of being “sanctimonious”, and he descibes him as a “gaseous Zeppelin”, saying his pomposity has been punctured.

He goes on:

Sir Beer Korma is currently failing to hold himself to the same high standards he demanded of me.

Johnson says Starmer said that Johnson should resign when he was being investigated by the police. But Starmer is being investigated by the police, and he has not resigned.

He urges Starmer to apologise"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/may/25/partygate-live-sue-gray-report-published-boris-johnson-downing-street-no-10-drinking

Starmer IS a sanctimonious prick. He also wanted to cancel British democracy. Well said, Boris Bojo "Boz-boz" The Bozzington Bozzles Johnson, Bozmeister General

Did Johnson actually say that or have you made it up?
    He said it. And, I confess, I laughed out loud

It's the sheer chutzpah of delivering a clever pun (tho not one he made himself) during THIS most solemn of occasions, what an insult to the 7 trillion dead of plague, blah blah whatever
    It's puerile ffs. Shape up.
    Of all the humourless pricks I expected not to laugh at Boris's deft and superbly funny pun, you are the humourless-est, and the prick-est, so thanks for fulfilling my priors
    ‘Deft and superbly funny’ ….

AKA pretty lame piece of nose thumbing. It might raise a smile if you’d said it; pitiful from a prime minister.
    "Deft and superbly funny" was me trolling PB's very own Pomposity-Monger @kinabalu

"Sir Beer Korma" IS a good pun, tho. The measure of it is: would it make a more memorable Sun front page? And yes, it would. It raises a smile and maybe a chuckle

You need the "Sir" bit tho. That's the funny part. The contrast between the Sir - why the F does this supercilious idiot Starmer have a fucking knighthood anyway, and for what? - and the Beer and Korma is the essence of the tension and thus the humour
    Yes, hilarious piece of wit from a PM. Sure.

I preferred Bryant’s line about self-entitled narcissists.

Or alternatively one of @ydoethur ’s less successful efforts.
    Chris Bryant of selfie-in-my-underpants fame? Accusing others of narcissism?

Interesting move
    How many years ago was that ?
    Grow up.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

I think the vast majority on here think cost of living is much more important than partygate.

But there is a clear and obvious solution to partygate, the resignation of the PM, whereas there are only partial (still very necessary) plasters for the costing of living crisis.

And partygate could all have been avoided with a genuine apology six months ago, but the PM cannot say sorry until he is forced to say so.
  • Options

The man has no shame.
    You are thus relying on some very unreliable witnesses in that case I suspect.
    Yes, there are some right bollocks-merchants on PB.

But overall, the level of intel - especially taken as a whole - is better than what you’ll find in regular media channels.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,474

The man has no shame.
    Big G is right. The close it all off presenting context at a prssser has opened up all manner of horrors.

A VONC is definitely likely in my opinion, I disagree with Mike Smithson, the mood of some of them is now call it and see who comes, they’ve nothing to lose now, winning the vonc merely a bonus in some minds now in this position the worst thing is not to try at all.

Although the conference was a car crash for Johnson, and he knew it he couldn’t wait to escape, that bizarre mix of acting humble with borderline contempt and anger made it compulsive viewing.

To go back to Big G post, what are his MPs thinking having endured today knowing their constituents watching same thing? The big take of today is Partygate isn’t over, press clearly got him nailed on the flat party not investigated and concluded on (Pippa and MPWest must be speaking together off record) so I make that AT LEAST 3 FPNs Boris will end up with.

But it’s not just Partygate not going away unless they remove Boris the MPs have to weigh up, but that government economic strategy and economic management isn’t working, fresh PM fresh government turned page on the economic ideas and plans would be really helpful to the Conservative party right now as well as they look to fight back at next election.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    The growing sense that the next election will take place in January 2025.
    https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1529477310654685184
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Disgraceful comments from Johnson re NI . Where fxck was he when Major and then Blair were sorting out the Good Friday Agreement .

What an utterly loathsome excuse for a human being .

Decades definitely takes us back to Major, Blair and all the others who worked hard and brought peace when it would have been easier to maintain the status quo. It is a significant part of why Major and Blair are still my two favourite PMs of my lifetime, despite various other faults.

Yet again Boris disgraces the office he holds in a way no other PM would have ever considered doing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MISTY said:

First a Rail strike then other sectors, including NHS. Welcome to the Seventies.
    I dreaded this.

It’s partly why I moved to New York.
    Yes, there was a big pull (ie a job), but also a decent push.

I truly think the UK is buggered through the 2020s. This is on top of being quite buggered in the 2010s.

I know the cheap rejoinder is that the US is no better, or even worse, but at least I earn more, and my taxes are lower. I need to think about my protecting my income/wealth for retirement, which I hope to do in my 50s.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MISTY said:

To be fair, all Western governments face not dissimilar problems with inflation, energy prices, interest rates and a potential concrete hard landing.

Biden in the US for example.

• Options

Translation: people are starting to realise that the latest date the election can take place is in January 2025...
  • Options

Foxy said:

MISTY said:

I dreaded this.

I truly think the UK is buggered through the 2020s. This is on top of being quite buggered in the 2010s.

I know the cheap rejoinder is that the US is no better, or even worse, but at least I earn more, and my taxes are lower. I need to think about my protecting my income/wealth for retirement, which I hope to do in my 50s.
    Even when adjusting for healthcare costs?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

That's not much of a clue. Nor much of an indication of his seat under threat either.
    If it's a 1k majority, then Big Dog is back. And he'd be wise to be making plans anyways.
    If it's 9k then it's a big story.
    The 50th most vulnerable Conservative seat right now is Watford (Maj 4433). I've gone with 50 to kludge a "new boundaries are more Conservative-friendly" factor.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Foxy said:

MISTY said:

I dreaded this.

Even when adjusting for healthcare costs?
    So far, at least, it’s turned out to be a very modest levy taken from the payslip, and a similarly modest additional cost for certain treatment.

If I get cancer or something, Im afraid I’m heading back to London to “milk the system”.
    I think the stamp duty I paid in the UK alone more than covers potential health costs!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

Pro_Rata said:

If there are 54 who wish to force all their fellow MPs to stare into the Untempered Schism that is Boris's continued leadership, then I think it would be brave to predict, even if those rebels don't have any confidence 180 are on their side today, that the majority will opt to be consumed by that madness.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Translation: people are starting to realise that the latest date the election can take place is in January 2025...
    Campaigning over Christmas?

That's really going to make the Great British Public warm to the government.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I also note that a LOT of my friends have upped and left London.

Steve is in SF.
    Marc has gone to Paris.
    Bryan is coming to NYC.
    Fabian is in Berlin, but coming to NYC.

I feel like London is de-globalising.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,776

Foxy said:

MISTY said:

I dreaded this.

Public services in the US are rubbish because taxes are low.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

MISTY said:

I dreaded this.

Public services in the US are rubbish because taxes are low.
    True.
    It’s terrible.
    But I’m a flighty global capitalist so it affects me not.

I also note that UK public services have also turned shit-wards.
  • Options
    The phone ins are dreadful for the government.
    It is clearly an issue that seriously riles some people past the point of vote switching. How many? That is the question.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Campaigning over Christmas?

That's really going to make the Great British Public warm to the government.
    It effectively shortens the campaign period by 10 days, which might be desirable for them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Leon said:

Perhaps he wants to try out another couple of one liners.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

If there are 54 who wish to force all their fellow MPs to stare into the Untempered Schism that is Boris's continued leadership, then I think it would be brave to predict, even if those rebels don't have any confidence 180 are on their side today, that the majority will opt to be consumed by that madness.
    When you look at the differences in approach between Baker/Harper and (say) Chris Skidmore/Zac Goldsmith, the ousting of Johnson could create a vicious and profound policy civil war in the tory party.

Many tory MPs are I suspect absolutely terrified of having that conflict. And so they cling on.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,776
    Scott_xP said:

It's probably someone facing the LDs in the south-east of England.
  • Options

Steve is in SF.
    Marc has gone to Paris.
    Bryan is coming to NYC.

@RochdalePioneers was telling Americans this morning to leave the country that let's innocent children be slaughtered
  • Options

Steve is in SF.
    Marc has gone to Paris.
    Bryan is coming to NYC.

@RochdalePioneers was telling Americans this morning to leave the country that let's innocent children be slaughtered
    Yes, but to some extent that’s anger.

The chances of something like that happening at my kids’ school is pretty much zero.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Scott_xP said:

Practically any four figure Tory majority (1,000 - 9,999) will be dicey after 14 years of a Tory government - with or without Partygates, buggered-up Brexits, Cost of Living crises or a decade of sleaze.

To be reasonably safe in the almost inevitable anti-government swing after a decade and a half in power, an MP needs a FIVE figure 2019 majority (>10,000). And I wouldn't bet my dodderer (majority: 17,000) will get back in

And even then: given Johnson's incompetence at actually running the economy he's so skilled at staying in control of, few businesses are likely to employ an ex-member of the gang that's done so much damage.
This discussion has been closed.