Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer can become PM without LAB making a single gain – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Just on Rees-Mogg, he (and/or the government) seem believe that a war on WFH plays well with the gammonati.

It’s not like he’s actually serious about it.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504

"Mr Rees-Mogg said he would also examine Met Office weather reports over suggestions [civil servant] officials were staying at home on the sunniest days."

Telegraph

They’re becoming completely laughable. Just like in the 1990s. A stale, fag-end government with no answer to the issues of the next decade.

Unlike the 1990s though, the opposition are almost as out of ideas as the government.

Where’s the great renewing force?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"Mr Rees-Mogg said he would also examine Met Office weather reports over suggestions [civil servant] officials were staying at home on the sunniest days."

Telegraph

Sunny days, where have you gone?
    I get the strangest feeling you belong
    Why does it always rain on me?
    Is it because I'm a Victorian charicature?
    Even when the sun is shining I can't avoid the lightning.

Is it because I’ve lied since I was 17?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642

Just on Rees-Mogg, he (and/or the government) seem believe that a war on WFH plays well with the gammonati.

Which makes it even worse than someone arguing a cause they truly believe in.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

See. I think he actually is. Like Patel they believe it. He genuinely seems to think WFH is a moral outrage. For the rest it's performative.
    He has the fervour of one on a moral crusade. Whether it wins or loses votes is incidental for him.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    We need a freephone line to report civil servants hanging out their washing on a Wednesday.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,365

dixiedean said:

Telegraph

In BoJo's case, I'm sure he started much younger than that.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

EPG said:

Good evening.

I see the government’s plan for Northern Ireland is unravelling again.

When oh when will they listen to Barty Bobbins? We hold all the cards!

Maybe they need to hold an election to see what people in NI think about the protocol.
    I'm just surprised to learn they have a fecking plan...
    There was a poignant Australian song in the 90s with the refrain:

I've got another plan - this time it'll work
    Yeah, I've got another plan - this time it'll work
    Or I'll be struck down, struck down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QcHjcMUz_4
    The Leader by Roger McGough.

I wanna be the leader
    I wanna be the leader
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I? I can?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee I'm the leader
    I'm the leader

OK what shall we do?
    Ah well! I am their leader, I really ought to follow them!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,734
    And then they came for the civil servants !

Aided and abetted by the right wing press. The DM also gleefully announces that 50 migrants could be shipped off to Rwanda in two weeks , I’m sure no 10 could do better than that , why not just put them against a wall and shoot them , save on the airfares which could go to the cost of living crisis !

There is something deeply disturbing about the trajectory of the UK under the Tories . It’s all about hate and negativity , who can be next to be set upon to appease the angry mob , of course we still have those terrible leftie lawyers trying to outwit the queen of Mean Patel , next up the Human Rights Act which will get a new name but hollowed out.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

See. I think he actually is. Like Patel they believe it. He genuinely seems to think WFH is a moral outrage. For the rest it's performative.
    He has the fervour of one on a moral crusade. Whether it wins or loses votes is incidental for him.
    Rees-Mogg is so performative he’s forgotten what reality is. He’s played “Rees-Mogg” for a very long time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Posted without comment...

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h
    Where are the 'left-wing' voices in parliament opposing the grotesque efforts by the British govt to prolong the war in #Ukraine through "lethal aid", while starving essential public services of the resources needed for a good society.

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1525075708095209474
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    https://twitter.com/willquince/status/1525064941778116610?s=21&t=lQskUX1sER6KDdK3IYDovw

Someone on here (rcs1000?) has posted about childcare ratios. Came across this by chance.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

Not sure going to war with the civil service ends well for fag end governments.

90,000 job losses will “save” £2.5bn.
    Reversing the Universal Credit cut would cost £6bn.

The government is out of ideas.
    Good news, I might be ready to go for a severance package.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Telegraph

For Travis, it's because they're Scottish.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Completely OT I am more than a little chuffed tonight.

When we bought our place a decade or more ago it had two paddocks amounting to about 2 acres attached. We decided to extend some adjacent woodland, planting around 150 trees (birch, ash, hazel, poplar and oak), replant an ancient orchard that had existed until it was grubbed out in the 1980s and turn the rest of the land back to hay meadow. We have seen the return of many different birds and insects including a big increase in moth population which - thanks to he advice of our resident PB expert Marquee Mark - I have been recording the last few years.

Finally, this evening when out by the hedge between the two meadows I noticed that for the first time we now have hares in the meadow and at least one Form. It has taken a long time to get the land back into a proper state from the barren horse paddock it was but we are finally seeing the benefits. My only slight concern is whether the Red Kites nesting in the adjacent woodland might take a fancy to the leverets but that is just a chance we will have to take.

Well done I am pleased for you. We have bought a moth light we have not had time to use yet but I hope to do so soon.
    If you need any advice, just ask.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,467
    I'm convinced the next Labour PM will be a woman, possibly Lisa Nandy, Yvette Cooper, Angela Rayner or Bridget Phillipson.
  • Options
    What fresh hell is this?

Emily Thornberry
    @EmilyThornberry
    Planning my dish-from-each-country-in-the-final Eurovision meal for Saturday night. It does rather colour my views about who I'd rather get through the 2nd semi final. 🤷🏼‍♀️

https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/1524823163003097103
  • Options

What fresh hell is this?

Emily Thornberry
    @EmilyThornberry
    Planning my dish-from-each-country-in-the-final Eurovision meal for Saturday night. It does rather colour my views about who I'd rather get through the 2nd semi final. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It does explain her weight problem.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Telegraph

Congratulations Mogg. You have achieved the impossible. You are as stupid as you look.

Does he really not know the big effort is commuting on wet, miserable days?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923

Lee Anderson was helping cook meals at a food bank and cook training session today judging by my local news.

Looks like it was busy with journos and photographers.

He has found his cause.

Not sure I would bet against him holding the seat.

He also seems to have found himself libelling Jack Monroe..

What is it about Jack Monroe that makes people libel her?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Rees-Mogg is so performative he’s forgotten what reality is. He’s played “Rees-Mogg” for a very long time.
    This is perhaps very true on a meta level.
    I assert that the character known as Rees-Mogg has convinced himself that WFH is evil.
    It is as very real a threat to civilisation to him as a bountiful munificence of Brexit opportunities are evident
  • Options

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h
    Where are the 'left-wing' voices in parliament opposing the grotesque efforts by the British govt to prolong the war in #Ukraine through "lethal aid", while starving essential public services of the resources needed for a good society.

Wise of you.

He is such a nasty piece of work even Mogg looks vaguely sane, intelligent and amiable by comparison.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm convinced the next Labour PM will be a woman, possibly Lisa Nandy, Yvette Cooper, Angela Rayner or Bridget Phillipson.

WFIW: This weekend's Spectator mag says that soundings of Lab MPs indicates that they think it will be Nandy.

I'm a fan and have just topped up my bet on her. I'm green on all leading women except Rayner (who has to resign if Starmer has to over getting pissed in Durham).

Definitely will be one of the ones you list + Reeves.

• Options

nico679 said:

Aided and abetted by the right wing press. The DM also gleefully announces that 50 migrants could be shipped off to Rwanda in two weeks , I’m sure no 10 could do better than that , why not just put them against a wall and shoot them , save on the airfares which could go to the cost of living crisis !

There is something deeply disturbing about the trajectory of the UK under the Tories . It’s all about hate and negativity , who can be next to be set upon to appease the angry mob , of course we still have those terrible leftie lawyers trying to outwit the queen of Mean Patel , next up the Human Rights Act which will get a new name but hollowed out.

It’s the Daily Mail-in-government.
    Envy, spite, and bigotry.

The comparison with Major’s government doesn’t quite cut it, I think. Yes Major had run out of ideas and was also beset with sleaze, but in Major / Clarke they actually had a competent and moral core.
    So true . The current government is morally bankrupt and is only interested in a divide and rule strategy . I’ve never loathed any government as much as I do the current one .

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Telegraph

Congratulations Mogg. You have achieved the impossible. You are as stupid as you look.

I fear he likes the little people to know their place. If they have time and the space to choose and think for themselves , who knows what they might do.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2022

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h

At least he's an irrelevance now, in the US you still have prats like Rand Paul able to delay billions to Ukraine in a time sensitive situation.
  • Options
    Speccie thinks Lammy may run as well.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Telegraph

I fear he likes the little people to know their place. If they have time and the space to choose and think for themselves , who knows what they might do.
    MPs of course are only in Westminster during... erm checks notes... Monday evening through to Thursday lunchtime.

Those hedge funds wont run themselves don't yeh know.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    A leader from Wigan is a necessary but not sufficient sign of the eschatological end time.
    So it must happen.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

From 12 years ago:

The leader of the Social Democrats, Mona Sahlin, is highly critical of the threat by Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan to expel over 100,000 Armenians living in Turkey.

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/3567084

How do you think this will play in Sweden @StuartDickson ?

I seem to remember you were highly sceptical about Sweden wishing to join NATO. Times have changed, of course...
    Not sure about the “highly”, but I am a sceptic by nature 😉

My main concern is the unseemly rush, much worse in Finland than in Sweden. Just that alone was always going to be problematic for certain NATO members: most folk don’t like being pushed into sudden drastic changes.

I will certainly admit that I misjudged Swedish public opinion, but in my defence the opinion polling of the last few decades has never indicated enthusiasm for joining NATO. Quite the opposite.

How will it play in Sweden: a hell of a lot of people are going to be mighty relieved! But the majority (probably the majority?) are going to be very worried now. Andersson and the Borgerliga parties seem to have made an historic error of judgment that very seriously threatens Sweden and Finland’s security. Boris Johnson is just a here today/gone tomorrow politician, and our PMs must be rueing the day they entertained the Clown.
    Hmm. "Unseemly rush". But surely if you're gonna do it, do it now when Putin is up to his oxters and can't, practically, do much about it. No? Why wait?
    Imagine that England was not a member of a major international body, and opinion polling during many decades has shown that the population were perfectly happy not being members of the international body. Then, very suddenly, something unexpected happens that induces many elected parliamentarians to completely change their minds on membership. Now, this is a big deal: if England joins she will gain some rights and privileges which could/might prove useful. On the other hand there come some very cumbersome responsibilities and costs too. Should the politicians just “jump” the electorate into their brand new lust for membership? Or should the nation have a civilised debate about the pros and cons and take a calm decision at a referendum?

I consider the “jumping” of the Finnish and Swedish nations to be an undemocratic national disgrace. Both countries should be ashamed of themselves. Turkey might just have done us a big favour.
    You don't think that the threat of invasion and what has happened in Ukraine might have had just a little to do with the decision? And since when was it undemocratic to listen to the wishes of your population? I think the only one who should be ashamed around here is you.
    I also think Stuart is rather overlooking the time element. As Ukraine demonstrates, if you announce you are considering joining NATO Putin will attack at once to make you change your mind.

Finland and Sweden won't now be safe until they are under the NATO umbrella.

As to Erdogan, I suspect he is partly sabre rattling for domestic consumption and partly trying to wring a few concessions on these Kurdish groups from the Finns and Swedes in advance of these talks. Hard to believe that if every other NATO member votes aye and the USA indicates this is what he wants that he will try to veto.

Edit - that was a Freudian slip but I like it so much I'm leaving it in!
    - “Finland and Sweden won't now be safe until they are under the NATO umbrella.”

Sweden hasn’t been at war for over 200 years. We have been safe without the mass-murder weapons.

All this pseudo-concern for us Swedes and Finns is very touching. Nothing to do with English domestic politics of course. Perish the thought.
    You're right (for once) it's nothing to do with them, it's what we call a 'statement of fact.'

If Sweden wishes to apply for NATO membership that's their choice. But as Putin sees it as deliberately provocative and in effect an act of war, merely mentioning it has already buggered the 200 year policy you refer to.

So I say again - having started, you will not be safe if you stop.

Unless, of course, you vote for union with Russia.
    Union with the blue mass-murder team or union with the red mass-murder team? Choices, choices…
    Bad news. That is your choice now. It is not a choice you want to make, and who can blame you? But that's the situation Andersson and her government faces. It's not difficult to understand why she's made the choice she has.
    Magdalena Andersson is not a dictator. We’ll see where we end up. But rest assured that we Swedes will decide, so you can keep your wise counsel to yourself.
    "We Swedes"? I thought you were Scottish!
    Stuart Dickson is an equal opportunities vegetable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Lee Anderson was helping cook meals at a food bank and cook training session today judging by my local news.

Looks like it was busy with journos and photographers.

He has found his cause.

Not sure I would bet against him holding the seat.

He also seems to have found himself libelling Jack Monroe..

What is it about Jack Monroe that makes people libel her?
    Opinions vary, shall we say:

https://tattle.life/wiki/jack-monroe/
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If it is Nandy maybe we'll hear the end of the Labour never elects a woman, ethnic minority, northerner, state school educated leader.
    It'll be her gentle Northern accent and slight lisp that'll be the bar.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The comparison with Major’s government doesn’t quite cut it, I think. Yes Major had run out of ideas and was also beset with sleaze, but in Major / Clarke they actually had a competent and moral core.
    So true . The current government is morally bankrupt and is only interested in a divide and rule strategy . I’ve never loathed any government as much as I do the current one .

"it's all about hate"...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Deleted. Blockquote and I'm pissed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Deleted. Blockquoute and I'm pissed.

Something about a Wigan Peer?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h

Lethal aid is a horrible phrase. The British Government does want to prolong the war. Public spending in other areas is concurrently being reduced. Spending is looking like it could approach Iraq levels - and that was coming off a buoyant economy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Just done Wordle in 2 for the first time ever!
  • Options
    Applicant said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

"it's all about hate"...
    Why shouldn’t I loathe or hate the current government for what they’re doing to the UK . I never felt like this with previous Tory governments . I might have totally disagreed with their policies but I didn’t feel this level of revulsion .

• Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2022
    RH1992 said:

Eurovision post. The jury final (which acts as a dress rehearsal) just happened and all 25 countries performed in their order that they'll appear on TV tomorrow.

The betting suggests the UK will win the jury vote and having looked at Twitter from fellow enthusiasts and experts there, it looks like the UK act did very well and they remain favourite to win that part of the vote. The jury counts for 50% of the final vote so the public vote going overwhelmingly for Ukraine, if as expected, still means they're hot favourites.

Jury voting odds: https://eurovisionworld.com/odds/eurovision-jury

Overall odds: https://eurovisionworld.com/odds/eurovision

Just to update on this, the UK won the press poll. While it's still not the most likely outcome, best not to bet against the UK.

https://escxtra.com/2022/05/14/press-poll-results-grand-final-jury-show/
  • Options

Congrats.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Congrats.
    I guess the NY times have nixed PENIS as an answer, as part of their changes to wordle’s list, so I shall never get it in one.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    nico679 said:

Nah. Just ignore them. Washed up fag end government. Something like Mogg has zilch power as he doesn’t have any time left. Change of party leader and he’s out of cabinet. Party out of government at end of this term and goodness knows how old he will be or even still MP next time Tory’s can form one.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

The comparison with Major’s government doesn’t quite cut it, I think. Yes Major had run out of ideas and was also beset with sleaze, but in Major / Clarke they actually had a competent and moral* core.

*Moral in the sense of governing for the good of the country; I’m not able to make a judgment on Major’s or Clarke’s personal morality.

Major was a decent bloke. Attempting to play a ridiculously poor hand as competently as possible.
    How much of this is the Australian influence on our politics? A country known for brutal politics. No prisoners are taken.

Seems to me that Crosby and associates like Levido have a massive influence on modern tory politics and strategy. Johnson can't open a window without checking back with these guys.

Baleful.

Even so the Tories have had a dreadful week. They are getting themselves blamed for the cost of living crisis, making it too easy to be painted as not doing enough and out of ideas. They are proceeding on the basis every single civil servant voted against them last time, or perhaps just trying to throw the election - their announcement actually makes every single one of them uneasy and feeling under attack. And there is also the pattern now of throwing policy overboard, sorting out the future energy needs once and for all may be the next thing asked, tbh so as not to make cost of living worse, but it creates a feeling of scrambling to find money and whiffs of losing authority.

Two weeks? That’s how long it takes for a bad week in politics to feed its way into the polls? Around 26th then.
  • Options
    I have too sleep now, long couple of days 🥱
  • Options
    “Ukraine appears to have won the battle for Kharkiv”.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

Good.

Wordle 329 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    EPG said:

Telegraph

True? Sunning themselves.
    False? Staying at home because they're afraid of a little rain.
    I worked from home for about a decade, long before Covid made it fashionable but would go into the office on very hot days — air conditioning. Has Jacob Rees-Mogg taken this into account?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Whereabouts in the country should someone visiting Greece for the first time go?

I'm guessing maybe a first time visitor might want somewhere not too quiet or busy, but manageable, with a bit character. Sifnos is a very pleasant and relaxing, quite friendly island along these lines, particularly if you stay in the old town of Apollonia.

Another very gently beautiful island is Patmos, with various religious legends attached to it - probably best to go out of season nowadays, though, as it's a little busier than Sifnos these days.

Santorini - stunning beauty but avoid peak season at all costs - incredibly crowded and busy at that time, and has become like Venice during those seasons.

The smaller Dodecanese islands - a lot of interesting stuff there if you want something much more off the beaten track, quite starkly and barrenly beautiful, and a long way from the mainland.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
  • Options

Bozo, Moggster and the Mail trying their best to piss off as many middle class professionals as possible.

On demanding an end to WFH, you mean? Perhaps the government could compromise with a law that no company should be allowed to use WFH as an excuse for poor service.

Working from home DOESN'T work, says PM: In Mail interview, Boris Johnson demands millions get back to the office
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10814839/Working-home-DOESNT-work-says-PM-Boris-Johnson-demands-millions-office.html
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Bozo, Moggster and the Mail trying their best to piss off as many middle class professionals as possible.

I think Johnson is right about working from home. In a way I respect the fact he's said something that he must know will be very unpopular with many if not most people.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Andy_JS said:

I think Johnson is right about working from home. In a way I respect the fact he's said something that he must know will be very unpopular with many if not most people.
    In what way is he right? He’s decided to take a position based on absolutely 0 evidence whilst failing to see that working patterns have changed. He doesn’t need to worry about us middle class professionals though - the Tory core vote is the elderly, so he can piss everyone else off
  • Options
    "Vladimir Putin ‘very ill with blood cancer' according to 'top oligarch caught in secret recording'"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/vladimir-putin-very-ill-blood-26956349
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Andy_JS said:

"Vladimir Putin ‘very ill with blood cancer' according to 'top oligarch caught in secret recording'"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/vladimir-putin-very-ill-blood-26956349

At last, some good news.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h

Lethal aid is a horrible phrase. The British Government does want to prolong the war. Public spending in other areas is concurrently being reduced. Spending is looking like it could approach Iraq levels - and that was coming off a buoyant economy.
    "The British Government does want to prolong the war."

Both you are Williamson are being pro-Russian shills.

Let's look at the reality.

Firstly, the UK has no power to stop this war. That is up to Russia, and to a lesser extent, Ukraine (even if Ukraine folded, do you have nay doubt that partisan activity would not continue in the occupied territories?)

Secondly, if Russia does not occupy all of Ukraine, then the war would just become a frozen conflict, as it did after 2014. Continuing partisan activity in the occupied territories and a weakened, unsupported Ukraine waiting for the next Russian invasion on flimsy excuses.

Thirdly, what you are both asking for is a Russian 'victory', as that is what stopping aid to Ukraine would cause. Does that mean peace? No. There would be partisan activity, as mentioned above, in the regions Russia occupies. This leads on to:

Fourthly, what makes you think Ukraine's defeat (which is what you are asking for) will bring wider peace? Putin and his government have made their long-term intentions for neighbouring countries quite clear. Give Putin a victory in Ukraine, and he will not stop in Ukraine.

Fifthly, the Ukrainian struggle is a righteous one. There are rarely clearer examples of right-versus-wrong in international affairs, and I'd argue supporting them is morally right.

So yes, it is a perilous path, but dangers lie in all directions. The government does not want to prolong the war: Johnson and co. would be very happy if Russia just left Ukraine. But they do want to staunch Russia's ambitions now, rather than in Poland or the Baltic states.

We should have done so earlier.
    You also dont mention ukraine giving in would only stop russian deaths, ukranian ones would continue. Let us not forget the russians thought they would walk in and it would be over in days yet brought 45000 body bags and death lists. Ironically not surrendering and fighting might lead to less ukranian deaths than a complete surrender on day one
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Pagan2 said:

Chris Williamson
    @DerbyChrisW
    ·
    10h

"The British Government does want to prolong the war."

Both you are Williamson are being pro-Russian shills.

Let's look at the reality.

Firstly, the UK has no power to stop this war. That is up to Russia, and to a lesser extent, Ukraine (even if Ukraine folded, do you have nay doubt that partisan activity would not continue in the occupied territories?)

Secondly, if Russia does not occupy all of Ukraine, then the war would just become a frozen conflict, as it did after 2014. Continuing partisan activity in the occupied territories and a weakened, unsupported Ukraine waiting for the next Russian invasion on flimsy excuses.

Thirdly, what you are both asking for is a Russian 'victory', as that is what stopping aid to Ukraine would cause. Does that mean peace? No. There would be partisan activity, as mentioned above, in the regions Russia occupies. This leads on to:

Fourthly, what makes you think Ukraine's defeat (which is what you are asking for) will bring wider peace? Putin and his government have made their long-term intentions for neighbouring countries quite clear. Give Putin a victory in Ukraine, and he will not stop in Ukraine.

Fifthly, the Ukrainian struggle is a righteous one. There are rarely clearer examples of right-versus-wrong in international affairs, and I'd argue supporting them is morally right.

So yes, it is a perilous path, but dangers lie in all directions. The government does not want to prolong the war: Johnson and co. would be very happy if Russia just left Ukraine. But they do want to staunch Russia's ambitions now, rather than in Poland or the Baltic states.

We should have done so earlier.
    You also dont mention ukraine giving in would only stop russian deaths, ukranian ones would continue. Let us not forget the russians thought they would walk in and it would be over in days yet brought 45000 body bags and death lists. Ironically not surrendering and fighting might lead to less ukranian deaths than a complete surrender on day one
    There’s also the small matter of over a million Ukrainian civilians forcibly abducted and detained across Russia in the last two months.

The Russian army has abducted, murdered, raped and looted on a mass scale, and continues to do so, and we’re still talking about helping Putin save face.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I thought conservatives believed in the market, not the PM telling people what to do based on his prejudices ?
  • Options
    Someone was asking yesterday about military river crossings.
    Here’s an informative thread by a US Major General who knows a bit about them

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1525252738724302848
    This Russian river crossing has gained attention because it resulted in the loss of (probably) a battalion tactical group and some critical engineer equipment. The reality is, it is worse than that.…
    … Before examining why, let’s explore these types of operations. Assault river crossings are one of the most difficult combined arms operations possible…
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Just what we wanted to celebrate the Queen’s reign - the Jubilee Barbie.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/13/platinum-jubilee-queen-barbie-doll-sells-out-three-seconds

The likeness is astonishing.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought conservatives believed in the market, not the PM telling people what to do based on his prejudices ?
    Since when? They say they do but the Conservatives have always had the habit of interfering in peoples lives, they just don't realise it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Since when? They say they do but the Conservatives have always had the habit of interfering in peoples lives, they just don't realise it.
    I like to encourage people to live up to their professed ideals.
  • Options

On demanding an end to WFH, you mean? Perhaps the government could compromise with a law that no company should be allowed to use WFH as an excuse for poor service.

Working from home DOESN'T work, says PM: In Mail interview, Boris Johnson demands millions get back to the office
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10814839/Working-home-DOESNT-work-says-PM-Boris-Johnson-demands-millions-office.html
    I think this says a lot more about Johnson than it says about WFH!

"My experience of working from home is you spend an awful lot of time making another cup of coffee and then, you know, getting up, walking very slowly to the fridge, hacking off a small piece of cheese, then walking very slowly back to your laptop and then forgetting what it was you're doing."
    Johnson was doing something?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    MattW said:

Good.

Wordle 329 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    3 for me. But the French one I do I got in 2!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The Northewrn Island deal and Boris Johnson's duplicity in a nice bite sized piece

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-61436985
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

"My experience of working from home is you spend an awful lot of time making another cup of coffee and then, you know, getting up, walking very slowly to the fridge, hacking off a small piece of cheese, then walking very slowly back to your laptop and then forgetting what it was you're doing."
    Typical of Johnson that he can't imagine that other people aren't as lazy and dysfunctional as he is. I WFH two days a week and am no less efficient on those days, indeed for tasks that require focus I would say I am more productive when I don't have all the noise of a trading floor. Plus I avoid the commute, can do household tasks or talk to my kids in moments of downtime, and enjoy the birds singing outside my garden office. The other three days are more than enough for face time with colleagues.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    mwadams said:

MattW said:

Good.

Wordle 329 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    3 for me. But the French one I do I got in 2!
    3 for me as well
  • Options
    This happened in the constituency next to Lee Anderson’s.

He was hoofed from labour for putting boulders on his land to prevent this sort of thing !

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18552602/amateur-rugby-club-trashed-travellers/
  • Options

That says more about him, to be honest.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

He looks like he’s had an allergic reaction to a bee sting.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

The irony is that Johnson does "Work from Home" and plans to continue to do so.

Why doesn't he live in Camberwell and commute to the office?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    nico679 said:

I rewatched The Uncivil War last night. It highlights the brilliant ruthlessness of the Vote Leave campaign. Take Back Control was a brilliant slogan - pity the government have failed to deliver on it.

On your trajectory point, the drama plays on this towards the end. There is a fictionalised remain focus group where Craig Oliver gets sick of the responses he is hearing to the remain push lines and storms in to argue with the panelists, many of whom are way beyond facts or reason. That the push lines were also way beyond facts or reason was a big problem...

Yes, we have unleashed pandora from her box. An angry, poorly informed "down with the facts" mood which is being fuelled for electoral reasons by a Tory party dumb enough to think the mob can be controlled.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I'd be quite happy as a compromise for him to live in Downing Street and commute to work in say, the BMW dealers in Stoke.

Not that I would buy a used car off him.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780

nico679 said:

I rewatched The Uncivil War last night. It highlights the brilliant ruthlessness of the Vote Leave campaign. Take Back Control was a brilliant slogan - pity the government have failed to deliver on it.

On your trajectory point, the drama plays on this towards the end. There is a fictionalised remain focus group where Craig Oliver gets sick of the responses he is hearing to the remain push lines and storms in to argue with the panelists, many of whom are way beyond facts or reason. That the push lines were also way beyond facts or reason was a big problem...

Yes, we have unleashed pandora from her box. An angry, poorly informed "down with the facts" mood which is being fuelled for electoral reasons by a Tory party dumb enough to think the mob can be controlled.
    Have you read All Out War? I think the drama was primarily based on this book, though fictionalised and with Dominic Cummings as protagonist.

The book also goes into the dysfunction of the Remain campaign, being a mixture of hubris and Cameron being reluctant to go for Blue-On-Blue. The real criticism is left for the Labour leader at the time. He was worse than useless. If he had just come out for Brexit, Corbyn would have done less harm to Remain. I can feel myself getting angry at the useless bastard just thinking about it, which is no way to start a Eurovision Saturday. But both book and show were very good.
  • Options
    By the nature of my job, WFH isn't possible, and I have been face to face all throughout. I did a limited number of telephone clinics in the first wave but felt at the time that they were pretty pointless, and not good medicine.

Some of my Medical School work has gone online, but I prefer to do that from my office at the hospital. No dog, fewer distractions, better internet, access to confidential records etc. Online teaching is mostly a downgrade on face to face. The brighter students dominate all the more, but the lumpen mass become even more lumpen.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Unpopular, if Labour MPs hadn't been so stupid as to put Corbyn on the shortlist, or Miliband's leadership election reforms hadn't occurred, we'd be in a strange alternative world where Remain won probably 55-60% of the vote, the Conservatives were split, UKIP was perhaps the third or fourth player in UK politics, and we might very well still be led by Not-Corbyn.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2022
    Roger said:

The Northewrn Island deal and Boris Johnson's duplicity in a nice bite sized piece

PS. There's something strangely unnerving about having a PM who lies freely.It creates a disconnect between citizen and government. It takes away any pride or patriotism you might feel. This is what life must have felt like under a Mugabe or Saddam.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I'd be quite happy as a compromise for him to live in Downing Street and commute to work in say, the BMW dealers in Stoke.

Johnson's argument is both pathetic and disingenuous. The more I work from home the more the struggling high street in my home town benefits because I shop locally and order lunch from local outlets. Johnson is only interested in reviving the kind of businesses that have influential CEOs like Pret.

Also I don't understand the argument that WFH is bad because some sectors or professions can't take advantage of it. I have to be on call during weekends and bank holidays but I don't resent people who don't have to take work calls during leisure time.

I'm working hybrid at the moment and quite frankly 90% of the time I'm in the office is a fucking waste of money. I go to my desk and do the exact same work I would have done at home except I'm £40 poorer and sodding Thameslink is £40 richer.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Foxy said:

? As was the case before the pandemic.

This is about people using the pandemic as an excuse to alter their working arrangements.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

nico679 said:

Have you read All Out War? I think the drama was primarily based on this book, though fictionalised and with Dominic Cummings as protagonist.

The book also goes into the dysfunction of the Remain campaign, being a mixture of hubris and Cameron being reluctant to go for Blue-On-Blue. The real criticism is left for the Labour leader at the time. He was worse than useless. If he had just come out for Brexit, Corbyn would have done less harm to Remain. I can feel myself getting angry at the useless bastard just thinking about it, which is no way to start a Eurovision Saturday. But both book and show were very good.
    Corbyn position was reasonable though. Staying in was, on balance, the better option. It is certainly my view and why I plumped remain.

Cameron was awful as PM and the remain campaign was atrocious. But, yeah, it’s all Corbyn fault.
  • Options

Tbf, I have heard people complain about putting on weight through grazing.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Johnson's argument is both pathetic and disingenuous. The more I work from home the more the struggling high street in my home town benefits because I shop locally and order lunch from local outlets. Johnson is only interested in reviving the kind of businesses that have influential CEOs like Pret.

Also I don't understand the argument that WFH is bad because some sectors or professions can't take advantage of it. I have to be on call during weekends and bank holidays but I don't resent people who don't have to take work calls during leisure time.

I'm working hybrid at the moment and quite frankly 90% of the time I'm in the office is a fucking waste of money. I go to my desk and do the exact same work I would have done at home except I'm £40 poorer and sodding Thameslink is £40 richer.
    It’s all about control. Never mind if you do more, better work at home. For Rees-Mogg this is all about showing who is the master and ensuring that the drones don’t have time to think and spend their money propping up the system.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

PS. There's something strangely unnerving about having a PM who lies freely.It creates a disconnect between citizen and government. It takes away any pride or patriotism you might feel. This is what life must have felt like under a Mugabe or Saddam.
    Crikey, you really spout some shite. Johnson is not a great PM but to compare that to life under Saddam or Mugabe. Barking.
  • Options
    Mr. Stereodog, not only that, you save the commuting time. That's no small thing.

Even if it's only half an hour each way, that's five hours a week (assuming someone works weekdays).
  • Options

Typical of Johnson that he can't imagine that other people aren't as lazy and dysfunctional as he is. I WFH two days a week and am no less efficient on those days, indeed for tasks that require focus I would say I am more productive when I don't have all the noise of a trading floor. Plus I avoid the commute, can do household tasks or talk to my kids in moments of downtime, and enjoy the birds singing outside my garden office. The other three days are more than enough for face time with colleagues.
    What this shows, I think, is that employers shot themselves in the foot a couple of decades back when getting rid of private offices in favour of open plan offices.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

This is about people using the pandemic as an excuse to alter their working arrangements.
    Johnson makes the case that his own work habits are lazy and ineffective when WFH, but plans to continue to do so. The pandemic changes in work patterns are irrelevant to that bald admission of incompetence and lack of self discipline.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Stereodog said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

My area of the civil service dangled two days WFH as a trade off for other contract reforms before the pandemic. The government used to be in favour of it as it reduced the need for expensive office space. It's just that now they've identified it as a good wedge issue for their culture wars.
    How? What has WFH got to do with culture wars? I'd suggest the government is more worried about the viability of town centres and public transport.

But yes, the government has been getting rid of office space.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/15/100-government-buildings-close-civil-servants-shun-return-office/ (£££ from last autumn)
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I read avery good, long article on working from home in the USA (think it was last year, maybe Forbes but I couldn't swear to it).

With some businesses, the managers disliked the decline in being seen to be important and were concerned at the hierarchy being observed. It was more ego than efficiency or effectiveness. A more flexible/engaged approach with increased working from home generally achieved better outcomes, but did require the support of those at the top.

Working from home is not always better, or even possible, but the bizarre and outdated blanket dislike of it by some people does suggest at best a limited imagination, and, at worst, plain stupidity.
  • Options
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

My area of the civil service dangled two days WFH as a trade off for other contract reforms before the pandemic. The government used to be in favour of it as it reduced the need for expensive office space. It's just that now they've identified it as a good wedge issue for their culture wars.
    My private firm (a big global publisher), stopped leasing expensive buildings, engaged a Harvard prof to recommend what a good balance might be in theory, started a pretty informed debate about the relative benefits of working at home for different roles and experience levels and having just reopened the office has given teams three months to figure out what is best for them. Productivity is up.

I don’t see why the government can’t do the same.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Jonathan said:

Stereodog said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

My private firm (a big global publisher), stopped leasing expensive buildings, engaged a Harvard prof to recommend what a good balance might be in theory, started a pretty informed debate about the relative benefits of working at home for different roles and experience levels and having just reopened the office has given teams three months to figure out what is best for them. Productivity is up.

I don’t see why the government can’t do the same.

How many Express and Mail readers are going to get motivated by that? Next!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

What fresh hell is this?

Emily Thornberry
    @EmilyThornberry

I loathe the whole thing of course but can't resist a little punt.

The Norway effort looks utter mind-numbing shite so I've backed that for Top Ten @ 1.8 and Top Three @ 11.

Italy (same ghastly bunch as last year) to beat UK/Spain/France and Germany ('Big Five') @ 3.05

Ukraine are too short surely? Lay Top Three @ 1.12
This discussion has been closed.