Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some positive Survation Red Wall polling for LAB – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    xxxxx5 said:

@Leon have you done Cadiz? El Puerto Santa Maria, Jerez - The Sherry Triangle? Are they worth visiting or the other option is Monte Gordo/Ayamonte.

I am not Leon. Cadiz is a jewel, worth more than a day. A place to stay for at least a night, to experience in the dark. Excellent food at all price points. Jerez a little run down but pleasant enough. Excellent cathedral. Cathedrals in that part of Spain largely excellent. Sherry in the bars €1 a small glass. All doable by train - the one to Cadiz crosses the marshes which is rather fun. And you get to begin your holiday at Seville. Who could want more?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Applicant said:

Southgate deserves to be dispatched from a cannon along with Pearce and Waddle for their pizza hut advert cashing in on being unable to hit a target. At least Batty had the decency to dissapear and never return

"This time he's hit the post!"
    Tragic. Pearce is a dreadful actor as well. Ugh.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

It is notable that the UK is making friends and allies across the Baltics, Poland and Ukraine and augurs well for defence, security, and trade between these nations

And Eurovision.
    But not this year. I have us in the sweepstake.
    Not here either. I've heard our entry.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited May 2022

Despite @StuartDickson's best efforts to escape the UK security umbrella, he can't get away from it:

@SamRamani2
    BREAKING: Boris Johnson confirms that Britain will come to Sweden's assistance if it is attacked

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1524393730500931584

What is the fucking matter with the man. He's at the 'I love you' stage of being drunk, chucking our overstretched military at anyone who'll have it like an unwanted beery hug.
    He'll be in Finland next. Party girl Sanna Marin got in trouble for covid partying too. She immediately joined Ardern in being yesterday's face of modern politics. Now she just gads about in a 1990s style black leather jacket saying the Finns might join NATO one day.
    He already is.

This from Sky and I really doubt it but Sky has just reported from Italy that UK could win Eurovision this Saturday

PM signs security declarations with Sweden and Finland

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is signing mutual security assurances with the leaders of Sweden and Finland today amid increased threats in the region.

Mr Johnson signed the declaration with Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson in Sweden, and this afternoon he will travel to Finland to sign a similar security declaration with President Sauli Niinisto.

The declarations will see a change in defence and security cooperation between the UK and each country, intensifying intelligence sharing, accelerating joint military training, exercising and deployments, and bolstering security across all three countries and northern Europe.

They will also allow the UK to cooperate with Nordic partners and their armed forces, in all domains, including cyberspace.

Mr Johnson said: "We are steadfast and unequivocal in our support to both Sweden and Finland and the signing of these security declarations is a symbol of the everlasting assurance between our nations.

"These are not a short-term stop gap, but a long-term commitment to bolster military ties and global stability, and fortify Europe’s defences for generations to come."

Sweden and Finland are currently considering whether to apply for NATO membership in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Both the countries are expected to make decisions this month.
  • Options
    Hadn't realised the PL could end in a playoff game.
    Here's how. Still pretty unlikely, mind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61407180
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Despite @StuartDickson's best efforts to escape the UK security umbrella, he can't get away from it:

@SamRamani2
    BREAKING: Boris Johnson confirms that Britain will come to Sweden's assistance if it is attacked

What is the fucking matter with the man. He's at the 'I love you' stage of being drunk, chucking our overstretched military at anyone who'll have it like an unwanted beery hug.
    He'll be in Finland next. Party girl Sanna Marin got in trouble for covid partying too. She immediately joined Ardern in being yesterday's face of modern politics. Now she just gads about in a 1990s style black leather jacket saying the Finns might join NATO one day.
    There is already a military alliance between the UK, Finland and Sweden (among others)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Joint_Expeditionary_Force
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

City needing to conceded (at least) three goals is where it falls down.
  • Options

@SamRamani2

He already is.

This from Sky and I really doubt it but Sky has just reported from Italy that UK could win Eurovision this Saturday

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is signing mutual security assurances with the leaders of Sweden and Finland today amid increased threats in the region.

Mr Johnson signed the declaration with Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson in Sweden, and this afternoon he will travel to Finland to sign a similar security declaration with President Sauli Niinisto.

The declarations will see a change in defence and security cooperation between the UK and each country, intensifying intelligence sharing, accelerating joint military training, exercising and deployments, and bolstering security across all three countries and northern Europe.

They will also allow the UK to cooperate with Nordic partners and their armed forces, in all domains, including cyberspace.

Mr Johnson said: "We are steadfast and unequivocal in our support to both Sweden and Finland and the signing of these security declarations is a symbol of the everlasting assurance between our nations.

"These are not a short-term stop gap, but a long-term commitment to bolster military ties and global stability, and fortify Europe’s defences for generations to come."

Sweden and Finland are currently considering whether to apply for NATO membership in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

They are keeping him away from Sanna. Attractive if slightly fey looking young woman, likes to party. Big Dog would be beside himself!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

It is notable that the UK is making friends and allies across the Baltics, Poland and Ukraine and augurs well for defence, security, and trade between these nations

And Eurovision.
    Bless, you actually think the song quality correlates with the voting?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

And Eurovision.
    Chap used to run a veggie cafe not far from here. Rather strange place.
  • Options

@SamRamani2

He already is.

They are keeping him away from Sanna. Attractive if slightly fey looking young woman, likes to party. Big Dog would be beside himself!
    It will be a very sad day when liking a party is looked down on

Covid surely hasn't brought us to this
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

Not if Mr J screws up our relationships with the EU trade wise. Most of them are in the EU.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

And Eurovision.
    Oh, it does, to some extent. It's just that the musical tastes of Europeans are a little different from ours.
  • Options

@SamRamani2

There is already a military alliance between the UK, Finland and Sweden (among others)

My being a plank and amusing myself aside, people generally don't know about these sorts of things when they scoff at the UK still wielding and projecting soft power globally
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

And Eurovision.
    Oh, it does, to some extent. It's just that the musical tastes of Europeans are a little different from ours.
    Fog in channel - Europe cut off.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

rcs1000 said:

Re Quordle: I don't think you need to get all the letters out in the first four goes. Frankly, a starting set of PRINT, MOUSE, CHALK usually enough (as today) to get the words on rounds 4, 5, 6, 7. Only occasionally does one need 8 or 9.

Y'all know you're playing hangman, right? Like we used to on wet playtimes aged 9 but we knew words that were even longer than 5 letters. Talented school I were at.
    That's a pretty dark game, when you think about it...
  • Options

@SamRamani2

My being a plank and amusing myself aside, people generally don't know about these sorts of things when they scoff at the UK still wielding and projecting soft power globally
    It certainly doesn't have as much military power as it used to. MoD planning what is it, 270 front line main battle tanks? (That was well before recent events, with their own pros and cons.)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Not if Mr J screws up our relationships with the EU trade wise. Most of them are in the EU.
    I think you are missing an important point in as much as Boris and the UK are far and away liked more than France and Germany at present by these nations and cooperation between these nations benefits us all and creates a more collegiate relationships
  • Options

@SamRamani2

He already is.

It will be a very sad day when liking a party is looked down on

Covid surely hasn't brought us to this
    Sannas problem was clubbing when she was meant be isolating. She 'missed the text'
    She also had an expenses scandal.
    Top bird.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Re Quordle: I don't think you need to get all the letters out in the first four goes. Frankly, a starting set of PRINT, MOUSE, CHALK usually enough (as today) to get the words on rounds 4, 5, 6, 7. Only occasionally does one need 8 or 9.

Y'all know you're playing hangman, right? Like we used to on wet playtimes aged 9 but we knew words that were even longer than 5 letters. Talented school I were at.
    My kindergarten classes used to love it as a reward for behaving well.
    If they lost they'd put their hands round each other's necks shout aaagh! and pretend to be dead till the bell went.
    At least they were quiet.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

It's no murder in the dark though
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227

Southgate deserves to be dispatched from a cannon along with Pearce and Waddle for their pizza hut advert cashing in on being unable to hit a target. At least Batty had the decency to dissapear and never return

I went to watch my nephew play football about ten years ago. They'd have a 'penalty shootout' at the end of every match, whatever the score. His team lost and they didn't get the ball to him very often, but he did take a really good penalty at the end. He was complaining after that nobody had passed to him so I hadn't seen him at his best. I mentioned that his penalty was decent.

He replied, "You've got to be an idiot to miss a penalty"

My nephew was then at the same school as Stuart Pearce's son, and in the same football team. He said this at the exact moment that we walked past Stuart Pearce.

I showed him the video of Mr Pearce's famous miss when we got back to the car. He was rather worried that his mate's Dad was going to hate him.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

@SamRamani2

It certainly doesn't have as much military power as it used to. MoD planning what is it, 270 front line main battle tanks? (That was well before recent events, with their own pros and cons.)
    No, although Cyprus and Juffair do give us a good reach and influence but for sure thus ain't even 82 now let alone Suez times
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    edited May 2022
    Cookie said:

sarissa said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

I'm going to ask a totally OT travel advice question because everyone would rather talk about coffee machines and a very personal argument I'm not really following or basically anything except Andy Burnham.

I've got a week free in Europe in September, Berlin at one end and Amsterdam at the other and just need to hang out somewhere in between. I'll mostly be working instead of running around committing tourism but I want somewhere that's just an interesting place to be for a week or so, preferably a single flight up to 3/4 hours long from both Berlin and Amsterdam and a few hours travel max from the airport (train or rentacar or whatever). UK/France/Belgium/Holland/Germany are out because I've been to them too much before. Somewhere that's kind of a bargain because it's a little bit out-of-season is also good.

Where to go?

Bled (Slovenia) if you like chilling by a lake and/or a bit of walking - easy to get out of the main touristy bit, even on foot. Cheap transfer from Ljubljana.

Aeolian islands, but likely too much faff to get to - don't know whether there are diect flights to Sicily, but you still have to cross Sicily and then get a boat.

Edit: And second? Love and peaceful thoughts to all :kissing_heart:
    How recent is the Slovenia tip? Cos tourism there just exploded 2016-18

Personally I am going riding in Sicily for a week in June and then want to spend a week there with a car. If I want to start in Syracuse and end up at Palermo do PBers recommend driving round the bottom, round the top or across the middle? bearing in mind I will have seen a bit of the interior (Madonie to Etna) from my horse.
    On a similar question, by youngest daughter has recently got a real bee in her bonnet about going to Scotland. She wants to see a mountain and a castle and a Highland Cow. Which is all very nice, but she is only seven and too small for munro bagging or too much history all in one go. Still, I'd like to take her (and her sisters, 10 and 12, and my wife) to Scotland in October. Somewhere with things to do for moderately active pre-teen girls, and somewhere where they can take in the scale of the place and be suitably awestruck. Any thoughts?
    May seem obvious but Edinburgh is a lovely city to visit. Got the zoo, the Royal Mile, the castle, parks, lots of sites and plenty of hills for active walking but nothings too far if you need to carry her on your shoulders if she gets tired.
    Providing Nicola sorts out the ferry situation, Arran ('Scotland in Minature') might fit your bill, including

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/brodick-castle-garden-country-park/planning-your-visit?lang=#opening-times
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/ or even
    https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/202108_Arran-Snorkel-Trail_02-ONLINE.pdf (wetsuit advised ;) )

great mountains and secluded beachcombing, cycling hire and a neat new distillery.

Day ferry to Kintyre for more nature and even quieter countryside
    I've considered Arran, actually. Scene of my own childhood summer holidays, up to the age of 5. I like the idea of going to an island, but it's quite a commitment - you're there for the duration. But there's a lot to recommend it.
    If you do visit - this is my favourite B&B there https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551758-d1791858-Reviews-Castlekirk_Arthouse-Lochranza_Isle_of_Arran_Scotland.html

Right in Lochranza so you've got the distillery to visit too. And the deer come down from the hills and night and just wander round the village - which can be quite magical. Or if you're looking for somewhere more 'to stay' then https://www.cottagesonarran.co.uk/property/hope-cottage-blackwaterfoot/ is lovely. And Blackwaterfoot is a good location as all the buses pass through it so it's easy to get round the island. The hotel does pretty decent food too.

(Sadly I don't have a financial interest in these recommendations!)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    @oryxspioenkop
    I’m going to call this Russian river crossing attempt a failure.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1524399801617592322
  • Options

I went to watch my nephew play football about ten years ago. They'd have a 'penalty shootout' at the end of every match, whatever the score. His team lost and they didn't get the ball to him very often, but he did take a really good penalty at the end. He was complaining after that nobody had passed to him so I hadn't seen him at his best. I mentioned that his penalty was decent.

He replied, "You've got to be an idiot to miss a penalty"

My nephew was then at the same school as Stuart Pearce's son, and in the same football team. He said this at the exact moment that we walked past Stuart Pearce.

I showed him the video of Mr Pearce's famous miss when we got back to the car. He was rather worried that his mate's Dad was going to hate him.
    Lol top stuff! You should have shown him Pearces 96 redemption penalty too and the roar after to the crowd
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I have had 3 glasses of raki and I am looking at a beautiful woman who has just sloughed off the swimming pool and now she flops face down in the sun and the beads of poolwater on her firm, tanned buttocks look like silver beads of mercury on immortal bronze

Has her husband come on to you yet?
    A different couple, *sadly*

The first guy is definitely gay. Earlier I spied him flirting OUTRAGEOUSLY with a handsome Turkish waiter. I signalled to him desperately - like a lonely firefly on Hampstead Heath - that I am a lonely ageing Hetero man who still likes the flattery of gay attention and he is welcome to continue his earnest weird smiling, but for some reason he ignored me ...
    He's probably reading PB.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Carnyx said:

@SamRamani2

I think now we need to think of MBTs as targets for drones and it is admittedly a small number pointing to a horrendous casualty rate. But we have been proven to have very, very effective anti tank weapons ourselves. The qualitative difference between NATO kit (not just ours) and Russian kit has been very marked. But our armed forces are currently too small for the undertakings we are giving. You won't get an argument from me about that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Carnyx said:

@SamRamani2

No, although Cyprus and Juffair do give us a good reach and influence but for sure thus ain't even 82 now let alone Suez times
    The Cyprus SBA is absolutely essential for defending the Cyprus SBA.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

@oryxspioenkop

"...We count 6x T-72B-series MBT, 14x BMP-1/2 variants, 7x MT-LB, a tugboat & 5+ other armoured vehicles destroyed/abandoned/damaged. Note precise ID is very hard..."

Serious losses.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Sandpit said:

There we go, Bitcoin under $30k just as the US markets wake up. Gonna be a long day for cryptocurrencies.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but... https://english.elpais.com/economy-and-business/2022-05-10/el-salvador-expected-to-default-as-bitcoin-plummets.html
    El Salvador expected to default as bitcoin plummets

The Central American country made the cryptocurrency legal tender last year, but since then, it has continued to fall, raising concerns about whether it will be able to meet its next debt payment
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

@SamRamani2

I think now we need to think of MBTs as targets for drones and it is admittedly a small number pointing to a horrendous casualty rate. But we have been proven to have very, very effective anti tank weapons ourselves. The qualitative difference between NATO kit (not just ours) and Russian kit has been very marked. But our armed forces are currently too small for the undertakings we are giving. You won't get an argument from me about that.
    Quite so.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Carnyx said:

And we can only hope that they bring some rationality to the EU's position in respect of trade with us.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited May 2022
    Boris is doing the right thing.

The UK needs to leverage its defence capability and willingness to earn allies inside the EU. (It’s also the right thing to do, anyway).

Meanwhile, the endless ranting on here about EU customs checks missed the fact that 28% of the UK’s food comes from the EU. The government is literally not in a position to impose checks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

And we can only hope that they bring some rationality to the EU's position in respect of trade with us.
    Works both ways, thouigh.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

And Eurovision.
    Also, the winning song has usually had a fair amount of airplay before the contest.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

sarissa said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

I'm going to ask a totally OT travel advice question because everyone would rather talk about coffee machines and a very personal argument I'm not really following or basically anything except Andy Burnham.

I've got a week free in Europe in September, Berlin at one end and Amsterdam at the other and just need to hang out somewhere in between. I'll mostly be working instead of running around committing tourism but I want somewhere that's just an interesting place to be for a week or so, preferably a single flight up to 3/4 hours long from both Berlin and Amsterdam and a few hours travel max from the airport (train or rentacar or whatever). UK/France/Belgium/Holland/Germany are out because I've been to them too much before. Somewhere that's kind of a bargain because it's a little bit out-of-season is also good.

Where to go?

Bled (Slovenia) if you like chilling by a lake and/or a bit of walking - easy to get out of the main touristy bit, even on foot. Cheap transfer from Ljubljana.

Aeolian islands, but likely too much faff to get to - don't know whether there are diect flights to Sicily, but you still have to cross Sicily and then get a boat.

Personally I am going riding in Sicily for a week in June and then want to spend a week there with a car. If I want to start in Syracuse and end up at Palermo do PBers recommend driving round the bottom, round the top or across the middle? bearing in mind I will have seen a bit of the interior (Madonie to Etna) from my horse.
    On a similar question, by youngest daughter has recently got a real bee in her bonnet about going to Scotland. She wants to see a mountain and a castle and a Highland Cow. Which is all very nice, but she is only seven and too small for munro bagging or too much history all in one go. Still, I'd like to take her (and her sisters, 10 and 12, and my wife) to Scotland in October. Somewhere with things to do for moderately active pre-teen girls, and somewhere where they can take in the scale of the place and be suitably awestruck. Any thoughts?
    May seem obvious but Edinburgh is a lovely city to visit. Got the zoo, the Royal Mile, the castle, parks, lots of sites and plenty of hills for active walking but nothings too far if you need to carry her on your shoulders if she gets tired.
    Providing Nicola sorts out the ferry situation, Arran ('Scotland in Minature') might fit your bill, including

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/brodick-castle-garden-country-park/planning-your-visit?lang=#opening-times
    https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/202108_Arran-Snorkel-Trail_02-ONLINE.pdf (wetsuit advised ;) )

great mountains and secluded beachcombing, cycling hire and a neat new distillery.

I've considered Arran, actually. Scene of my own childhood summer holidays, up to the age of 5. I like the idea of going to an island, but it's quite a commitment - you're there for the duration. But there's a lot to recommend it.
    If you do visit - this is my favourite B&B there https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551758-d1791858-Reviews-Castlekirk_Arthouse-Lochranza_Isle_of_Arran_Scotland.html

Right in Lochranza so you've got the distillery to visit too. And the deer come down from the hills and night and just wander round the village - which can be quite magical. Or if you're looking for somewhere more 'to stay' then https://www.cottagesonarran.co.uk/property/hope-cottage-blackwaterfoot/ is lovely. And Blackwaterfoot is a good location as all the buses pass through it so it's easy to get round the island. The hotel does pretty decent food too.

(Sadly I don't have a financial interest in these recommendations!)
    Mm, some interesting stuff coming out in the discussion, good ideas from you and others.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Works both ways, thouigh.
    Also true.

The UK’s current strategy on NI is - per David Gauke - fraught with risk.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

@oryxspioenkop

7, possibly 8 tanks in that picture. Which, given they only have maybe 1,500 more tanks in Russia, is somewhat sub-optimal.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

@SamRamani2

On the MBTs - not necessarily.

What has been shown is that if you throw enough weapons at Russian tanks that are poorly maintained, and very poorly supported by infantry and other arms, then there will be heavy loses. Note in the picture (below), the number of Jack-in-the-box kills - which is entirely due to a major flaw in the basic design.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Indeed. The PM is actually doing a god job of relations with the EU heads of government.

It’s Macron and the Brussles bureaucracy that need to be convinced, so the more allies we have on the inside…
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    edited May 2022
    Wills and Kate keep buzzing the office. Now heading towards you @DavidL

Edit: Looks like St Andrews
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Carnyx said:

I think you are missing an important point in as much as Boris and the UK are far and away liked more than France and Germany at present by these nations and cooperation between these nations benefits us all and creates a more collegiate relationships
    Only if he has the resources to be credible. Which I'm not the only one on PB to be somewhat twitchy about this afternoon.
  • Options
    Since the expected solution in Northern Ireland is a comprehensive trusted trader solution (is it?), then why doesn’t the UK just agree to EU single market standards until that’s ready?

A bit like May’s solution, but with the CTA and NI agreement to fall back on to avoid getting “stuck” which was the alleged fear.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

7, possibly 8 tanks in that picture. Which, given they only have maybe 1,500 more tanks in Russia, is somewhat sub-optimal.
    So we can put that down as a qualified success, then? The river crossing got approximately 50 feet across the river, and they didn't lose all 1500 tanks in theatre.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

So we can put that down as a qualified success, then? The river crossing got approximately 50 feet across the river, and they didn't lose all 1500 tanks in theatre.
    It looks to me that they got further than that - a (floating?) military bridge got knocked out?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited May 2022

@SamRamani2

Isn't Boris just making formal, an unspoken truth?

If Russia invades Finland or Sweden (or both) it's WWIII! Which is why a Russian invasion of Finland or Sweden probably isn't going to happen (I say *probably* rather the *definitely* because there's always that 5% chance Mad Vlad has become so loopy he might actually do it)
  • Options
    We all remember when banks were unregulated, right?

Hidden away in Coinbase Global's disappointing first-quarter earnings report -- in which the U.S.'s largest cryptocurrency exchange reported a quarterly loss of $430 million and a 19% drop in monthly users -- is an update on the risks of using Coinbase's service that may come as a surprise to its millions of users. In the event the crypto exchange goes bankrupt, Coinbase says, its users might lose all the cryptocurrency stored in their accounts too.

Coinbase said in its earnings report Tuesday that it holds $256 billion in both fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies on behalf of its customers. Yet the exchange noted that in the event it ever declared bankruptcy, "the crypto assets we hold in custody on behalf of our customers could be subject to bankruptcy proceedings." Coinbase users would become "general unsecured creditors," meaning they have no right to claim any specific property from the exchange in proceedings. Their funds would become inaccessible.

https://fortune.com/2022/05/11/coinbase-bankruptcy-crypto-assets-safe-private-key-earnings-stock/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    It's a sobering thought - boom boom - that Michael Gove off his face is still a more coherent, capable minister than any of his Cabinet colleagues. Of course, that says a lot more about them than it does about him!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

There we go, Bitcoin under $30k just as the US markets wake up. Gonna be a long day for cryptocurrencies.

Those of us that bought between $3 and $8 are not panicking yet.
    You found your laptop then?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

It looks to me that they got further than that - a (floating?) military bridge got knocked out?
    (You're right - there does seem to be a destroyed pontoon. Weird that my most of the destroyed vehicles are all lined up along that bank though.)
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

Yep, if they send all 1,500 to that point on the river, they should be able to get a handful across. Job done :+1:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    GIN1138 said:

@SamRamani2

If Russia invades Finland or Sweden (or both) it's WWIII! Which is why a Russian invasion of Finland or Sweden probably isn't going to happen (I say *probably* rather the *definitely* because there's always that 5% chance Mad Vlad has become so loopy he might actually do it)

As we all know, Johnson agreeing an international treaty is not to be taken as any kind of commitment to honour what it says.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

I have had 3 glasses of raki and I am looking at a beautiful woman who has just sloughed off the swimming pool and now she flops face down in the sun and the beads of poolwater on her firm, tanned buttocks look like silver beads of mercury on immortal bronze

Let’s hope the Albanian gangster husband and his entourage arn’t watching you 🫣
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

Where to go?

I would suggest Glencoe. It has an excellent castle, the hidden valley is not too strenuous a walk and the countryside is probably the best in the UK (if you like mountains). The visitor centre is quite good too.
    And if you stay at Kingshouse, she can have the best experience of Scottish midges!

(I think they've renovated the Kingshouse Hotel in the last few years; anyone know if it's lost its (ahem) character?
    When I have been over there in recent years I have stayed at the Isles of Glencoe hotel which is good and has a brilliant location. When I was much younger and into hillwalking we once camped out in the glen in late summer. I am not sure what the bastards ate before I came along.
    What is it with Scotland and midges? I’ve been to Denmark, Sweden, Ireland etc in summer and not really experienced anything similar yet they share latitud and climate (or maybe I just got lucky)

If you want a truly shocking insect experience Siberia in summer is up there, or the tsetse flies of Kafue, Zambia. Special
    I always hear people talking about the midge problem, but honestly in all my travels to the west coast I have NEVER experienced it. I don't know what you are all eating, but you're all obviously much sweeter than me.
    I used to say the same. And I’ve been to the Hebrides many many times

Then one day they spotted me. They’ve never let me go since. Strange

I once met an Englishwoman living in a beautiful house in an amazing location on Skye (near dunvegan). She had a full on midge cope cage

She absolutely hated Skye. The loneliness, the darkness, the drizzle, the people turning to sodomy in the winter out of sheer boredom. And the midges. Lord, she hated the midges

One of the most unhappy people I’ve ever met. It really matters - where you live
    What a shame, since Skye is a beautiful place. The issue I have with it is the sheer number of tourists. The opposite problem: not lonely enough.
    I think she and her husband made the classic mistake

Went there for a summer holiday, hit nice weather, fell in love with the beauty - checked property prices (as they were) - and thought Yes! Perfect place to retire!! Sold their southern English home etc

He still loved it. She loathed it with a vengeance as I say. She’s probably killed him by now

Never ever move somewhere without experiencing it at its WORST - not best

I’ve done a winter week on Skye. Nothing could induce me to move there permanently, despite the amazingness. Of course many would say the same about london…
    In my view, London is at its worst under a high pressure system in summer. The choking heat, the grime that greases everything. I can take London when it's cool or when the wind blows, but those hot, still days you want to get out to a riverside pub upwind of all the cars. Marlow. Wokingham. Oxford.
    I know exactly what you mean but you can always escape to the many marvellous parks

For me it is at its worst from mid January to late February

The darkness. The sense that winter will never end. The damp spiteful cold as you walk home from the pub. A night bus coughs fumes. The litter blows in a frigid wind and the junkies shout in their desperation

This is probably why I have fled london and the UK in winter for the last 15 years without fail. Apart from lockdown 3 - when I nearly killed myself

In all seriousness that sounds very like Seasonal Affective Disorder or SADs which my daughter suffers from. She needs winter sun as well or she becomes seriously ill. A blue ultraviolet light is supposed to help.

Oh, I’m sure I have SAD. It’s a real thing.

I bought one of those lamps in lockdown 3. If it helped it was marginal

The only “cure” is actual warm sunshine. Or heroin
    Ha, you have my sympathy. (Or not - since you're now able to evade it by going to a more forgiving latitude). I think I get SAD, a bit - the only way I have dealt with it is to approach it head on. Embrace the bleakness. Celebrate that we live at such an improbably northerly latitude (and hence improbably seasonal) - less than 2% of the world's population live north of Manchester. Goggle in amazement at weather forecasts which show an unchanging four degrees, overcast, for every hour for the next three days. And tick the days of January off as imperceptibly dawn edges back before 8am. The first thing I do at work every day in January is check the sunrise time, in the same way that through coronavirus I would obsessively check the figures. A reassurance through the darkest days that things are getting brighter.
    To misquote the tramp under the railway bridge in 24 Hour Party People, quoting Boethius,
    It's my belief that the English year is a wheel. "Inconsistency is my very essence" -says the wheel- "Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you are cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it is also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away".

If humans can marvel at the pitiless bleakness of the Flow Country they can marvel at the pitiless bleakness of an English January.
    This is probably my favourite comment of the year

Superbly eloquent. Dude, you can WRITE
    Thank you. From you, I'm genuinely flattered.
    I always fancied being a writer. Though in reality while I can string a few words together I have neither the ideas (an oddly undervalued talent in a writer, having something to say) nor the self-motivation, and the parlous nature of the work would terrify me.
    Still, writing has won be a bigger prize in life; for complicated reasons, much of the early courtship with my wife was carried out in lengthy emails. We'd written three quarters of a million words to each other before we met. And for my part, I still remember the frisson of excitement in seeing a potential romantic interest using the word 'whom' correctly.
    They argued all night / As to who had the right/ to do what, and with which, and to whom
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

@SamRamani2

Sweden and Finland have been effectively members of the "Western Alliance" since the days of the Cold War. In the Cold War plans that were released, Russia planned to invade both at the start of WIII.

Equally, in that event (expected by both Sweden and Finland), both would have turned to NATO for common defence.

All that Putin has achieved is getting both to look at the the last step of actually signing up to NATO.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    Tory MP Lee Anderson says no massive need for food banks in UK, and real problem people not being able to cook properly

In his contribution to the Queen’s speech debate the Conservative MP Lee Anderson said that a food bank in his Ashfield constituency operated a “brilliant scheme” whereby people accepting a donation had to register for a budgeting course and a cooking course. He went on:

We show them how to cook cheap and nutritious meals on a budget. We can make a meal for about 30p a day, and this is cooking from scratch.

When an opposition MP put it to Anderson that food banks should not be needed in 21st century Britain, Anderson agreed. He went on:

This is exactly my point. I’ll invite you personally to come to Ashfield, look at our food bank, how it works. And I’ll think you’ll see first hand that there’s not this massive use for food banks in this country. We’ve got generation after generation who cannot cook properly. They can’t cook a meal from scratch. They cannot budget. The challenge is there.

From the context, it is clear that when he said there was not a “massive use for food banks”, he meant no massive need for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/may/11/boris-johnson-michael-gove-tories-cost-of-living-latest-updates?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1652284326
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2022

Tory MP Lee Anderson says no massive need for food banks in UK, and real problem people not being able to cook properly

In his contribution to the Queen’s speech debate the Conservative MP Lee Anderson said that a food bank in his Ashfield constituency operated a “brilliant scheme” whereby people accepting a donation had to register for a budgeting course and a cooking course. He went on:

We show them how to cook cheap and nutritious meals on a budget. We can make a meal for about 30p a day, and this is cooking from scratch.

When an opposition MP put it to Anderson that food banks should not be needed in 21st century Britain, Anderson agreed. He went on:

This is exactly my point. I’ll invite you personally to come to Ashfield, look at our food bank, how it works. And I’ll think you’ll see first hand that there’s not this massive use for food banks in this country. We’ve got generation after generation who cannot cook properly. They can’t cook a meal from scratch. They cannot budget. The challenge is there.

From the context, it is clear that when he said there was not a “massive use for food banks”, he meant no massive need for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/may/11/boris-johnson-michael-gove-tories-cost-of-living-latest-updates?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1652284326

It costs 30p to put the damn oven on.

Edit: not particularly scientific, but…

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/compare-energy-usage-costs-using-23700775.amp
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

(You're right - there does seem to be a destroyed pontoon. Weird that my most of the destroyed vehicles are all lined up along that bank though.)
    More photos here:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1524422346039308292
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The Beeb puts a story like that almost every season where it goes down to the final day of the season.

Its actually far more plausible than some of the prior ones they've said. Considering the goals scored are identical, its actually pretty plausible that it could happen - unlikely, but plausible.

I think a prior season it needed something like a 9-0 defeat for the league leaders to make it happen.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Tale of Two States - Nebraska & West Virginia 2022 Primaries

> In Nebraska, 45's anointed pick(sp) Herbster, lost tight, 3-way GOP primary for Governor, hampered somewhat by accusations of groping women; first loss in big race this midyear primary season for the Sage of Mar-a-Lardo; winner was backed by incumbent governor and most of rest of Republican establishment in the great Cornhusker State. (Though Herbster would have been perfect for Con-hustler State.)

Jim Pillen
    88,569 33.9%
    Charles Herbster
    79,068 30.2%
    Brett Lindstrom
    67,375 25.8%

> in West Virginia, action was in Republican primary for US House in one of the Mountain State's two remaining congressional districts (when I was a kid, WVa had five CDs); in northern 1st District GOP primary was head-to-head political death match between two incumbent US reps., with 45-endorsed Mooney trouncing McKinley, who had support of most of state politico including GOP Gov. Justice AND Dem US Sen. Manchin, plus way more of the new district was his former turf than was Mooney's

Candidate Votes Pct.
    Alexander Mooney*
    44,806 54.2%
    David McKinley*
    29,442 35.6%
    Susan Buchser-Lochocki
    3,297 4.0%

Mixed verdict but on the whole less than bad news for the Secret President.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

More photos here:

That looks like a wipe out of a big chunk of one of these Russian BTGs?

Morale of rest of the unit must be a tad low now...
  • Options

There is a real problem of people not being able to cook properly.

If Jack Monroe had said that people struggle to cook properly and budget and support was needed for that, you wouldn't blink twice, but a Tory says that and its horrific.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    Sandpit said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

Yep, if they send all 1,500 to that point on the river, they should be able to get a handful across. Job done :+1:
    This was pretty grim news for Russians MIAs earlier:

To hide its losses in the war with Ukraine, Russia puts the killed soldiers on the list of 'missing in action'.

Their bodies are stored in makeshift dumps, where there are so many 200's that the mountains of corpses reach two meters in height. https://t.co/NaWm4H7h0y
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

@SamRamani2

Uniting the Baltics against the war criminal that is Putin is just desserts for his foolish and miscalculated criminal attack on the sovereign nation of Ukraine

I didn't say Putin doesn't deserve it, what on earth has what he deserves got to do with anything?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Since the expected solution in Northern Ireland is a comprehensive trusted trader solution (is it?), then why doesn’t the UK just agree to EU single market standards until that’s ready?

A bit like May’s solution, but with the CTA and NI agreement to fall back on to avoid getting “stuck” which was the alleged fear.

We already have them, why give them any kind of commitment that they then hold us to while they make no effort to implement any kind of trusted trader scheme? If the EU wanted to resolve this they could grant equivalence overnight, which, given we haven't actually changed anything, would be easy to do. It's their desire to "punish" the UK that is driving the issue. I don't see how that goes away by unilaterally committing to something they won't acknowledge anyway.

The EU is a formal, not informal ally, we can't rely on them to do us any favours as we could from individual nations with in the EU. Our relationship with the EU needs to be governed by strict rules and timetable based deliverables. That the government didn't put a hard deadline on implementation of the trusted trader scheme is the issue, they have no incentive to implement anything and unilaterally declaring that we'll keep single market rules until they do it gives them even less incentive because equivalence is still within their gift.

Better to just write them off as an informal ally and push everything into the very strict rules based treaty and timetable system.
  • Options
    Seems it is not all labour in Wales

Wrexham council to be led by Independents and Conservatives

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wrexham-led-independents-conservatives-pact-23928628#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

More photos here:

Brilliant. That’s not 7 or 8 tanks at all, it’s about two dozen of them!

Keep it up Ukraine!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The Beeb puts a story like that almost every season where it goes down to the final day of the season.

Its actually far more plausible than some of the prior ones they've said. Considering the goals scored are identical, its actually pretty plausible that it could happen - unlikely, but plausible.

I think a prior season it needed something like a 9-0 defeat for the league leaders to make it happen.
    What Liverpool need, is to beat Villa by a rugby score.
  • Options

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

More photos here:

The damages that the military are taking must be destroying their morale.

If an authoritarian leader loses the support of the military, that doesn't normally end well for the leader.

Russian military must be feeling a bit 1916 about all this.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

dixiedean said:

It's only since 2019-20 (i.e. after the last time Man City and Liverpool were close in 2018-19) that head to head has been added as a tie-breaker after goals scored:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217

In 2019/20 the team who have collected the most points in the head-to-head duels between the sides lying level on points, goal difference and number of goals scored, will take the highest finishing position, while the team with the fewest will take the lowest place.

If clubs still cannot be separated, the team who scored the most goals away from home in the head-to-head matches will get the highest position.

Only if the clubs remain level in the table after this will a playoff be arranged, at a neutral ground, with the format, timing and venue being determined by the Premier League Board.

It just so happens that both games between Man City and Liverpool finished 2-2.

In 1995-96, the Premier League actually produced this ticket for a potential play-off between Man Utd and Newcastle:

• Options

@SamRamani2

Uniting the Baltics against the war criminal that is Putin is just desserts for his foolish and miscalculated criminal attack on the sovereign nation of Ukraine

I didn't say Putin doesn't deserve it, what on earth has what he deserves got to do with anything?
    Everything
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Those of us that bought between $3 and $8 are not panicking yet.
    You found your laptop then?
    My wife correctly guessed the lost password.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

This was pretty grim news for Russians MIAs earlier:

To hide its losses in the war with Ukraine, Russia puts the killed soldiers on the list of 'missing in action'.

Their bodies are stored in makeshift dumps, where there are so many 200's that the mountains of corpses reach two meters in height. https://t.co/NaWm4H7h0y
    They can’t even treat their own dead with respect. Shocking to see, and chances are most of the deaths of men will not be acknowledged to their wives and mothers waiting for news.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Sandpit said:

@oryxspioenkop

Waiting to cross?
    Pulled back when the bridge began to sink and the Ukrainians had weapons targeting the bank?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    MaxPB said:

It's a fair comment. People in the UK have poorer cooking skill than the rest of Europe. I come across people who struggle to make rice or pasta regularly and not having basic skills really limits the ability to each cheap and nutritious food. Takeaways are both expensive and unhealthy.
    Yes but as soon as you suggest teaching cooking or managing money in schools traditionalist Tories complain that we are not teaching enough about kings or queens or capital cities.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    MaxPB said:

It's a fair comment. People in the UK have poorer cooking skill than the rest of Europe. I come across people who struggle to make rice or pasta regularly and not having basic skills really limits the ability to each cheap and nutritious food. Takeaways are both expensive and unhealthy.
    Cooking has its own costs these days...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

If Jack Monroe had said that people struggle to cook properly and budget and support was needed for that, you wouldn't blink twice, but a Tory says that and its horrific.
    Alternatively, we could find out what Jack Monroe thinks;

"Helping somebody conditional on them saying 'you know what, this is all my own fault, please teach me how to be better at being poor', is disgusting, actually."

https://t.co/wq1LE6rDf5

To a large extent, it's the Captain Vines theory of economics. Being poor forces you into making bad long-term choices. If you are rich enough to have time and space to cook and buy in bulk, you can feed yourself well and cheaply much more easily than if you are in a bedsit or worse
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

There is a massive problem that youngsters can't cook.

We had 'Home economics' classes (how to cook basically) at school back in 1970s, but only for the girls!

But there is also now increasing numbers of food banks saying people come to them and say 'don't give me anything I have to cook or heat as I cannot afford the electricity or gas to run the cooker'.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Agree. I'm on benefits but I eat a healthy diet and my food bill isn't too dramatic (but rising!) Because I cook every day with only an occasional instant meal or takeout. Basic cooking and household management and budgeting are essential skills everyone at school should be learning.
    Of course the media will just jump on this, Rayner etc will be tweeting 'they just don't get it' by this evening
  • Options

"Helping somebody conditional on them saying 'you know what, this is all my own fault, please teach me how to be better at being poor', is disgusting, actually."

To a large extent, it's the Captain Vines theory of economics. Being poor forces you into making bad long-term choices. If you are rich enough to have time and space to cook and buy in bulk, you can feed yourself well and cheaply much more easily than if you are in a bedsit or worse
    Absolutely, Jack Monroe hates the Tories so I wouldn't expect any difference in the response. That's the point.

Take the same message and change the messenger and it becomes a worthy comment that is right-on.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes but as soon as you suggest teaching cooking or managing money in schools traditionalist Tories complain that we are not teaching enough about kings or queens or capital cities.
    Call it "traditional values" class or something and teach them how to make pies?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Cookie said:

sarissa said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

Where to go?

It is a short boat trip , you could do some time there and then explore the Ayrshire countryside or head up to Loch Lomond area, all within 1 hour of Ardrossan.
  • Options

So she wants people to learn how to cook, but doesn't like a scheme that literally teaches people how to cook. It's almost as if the campaigners have an agenda. Isn't the actual answer - "hey it's not ideal but one extra person who can cook cheaply is another person out of food poverty".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Call it "traditional values" class or something and teach them how to make pies?
    If we also went back to shillings and farthings and canned spam they might be on board.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Absolutely, Jack Monroe hates the Tories so I wouldn't expect any difference in the response. That's the point.

Take the same message and change the messenger and it becomes a worthy comment that is right-on.
    Yes, many of the poor are not just poor in money; they are also poor in time. They do multiple jobs. And jobs which they can't just tune out of to do little personal bits and bobs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

STeak and kidney pudding. Boiled gammon with caper sauce. Coronation chicken. Queens pudding. Eton mess. Lots of good ideas in that royalist menu someone posted yesterday. Would keep the trads happy.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Yes, many of the poor are not just poor in money; they are also poor in time. They do multiple jobs. And jobs which they can't just tune out of to do little personal bits and bobs.
    Why do you think we only get 15 hours on a weekday to vote......
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

Where to go?

I would suggest Glencoe. It has an excellent castle, the hidden valley is not too strenuous a walk and the countryside is probably the best in the UK (if you like mountains). The visitor centre is quite good too.
    And if you stay at Kingshouse, she can have the best experience of Scottish midges!

(I think they've renovated the Kingshouse Hotel in the last few years; anyone know if it's lost its (ahem) character?
    When I have been over there in recent years I have stayed at the Isles of Glencoe hotel which is good and has a brilliant location. When I was much younger and into hillwalking we once camped out in the glen in late summer. I am not sure what the bastards ate before I came along.
    What is it with Scotland and midges? I’ve been to Denmark, Sweden, Ireland etc in summer and not really experienced anything similar yet they share latitud and climate (or maybe I just got lucky)

If you want a truly shocking insect experience Siberia in summer is up there, or the tsetse flies of Kafue, Zambia. Special
    I always hear people talking about the midge problem, but honestly in all my travels to the west coast I have NEVER experienced it. I don't know what you are all eating, but you're all obviously much sweeter than me.
    I used to say the same. And I’ve been to the Hebrides many many times

Then one day they spotted me. They’ve never let me go since. Strange

I once met an Englishwoman living in a beautiful house in an amazing location on Skye (near dunvegan). She had a full on midge cope cage

She absolutely hated Skye. The loneliness, the darkness, the drizzle, the people turning to sodomy in the winter out of sheer boredom. And the midges. Lord, she hated the midges

One of the most unhappy people I’ve ever met. It really matters - where you live
    What a shame, since Skye is a beautiful place. The issue I have with it is the sheer number of tourists. The opposite problem: not lonely enough.
    I think she and her husband made the classic mistake

Went there for a summer holiday, hit nice weather, fell in love with the beauty - checked property prices (as they were) - and thought Yes! Perfect place to retire!! Sold their southern English home etc

He still loved it. She loathed it with a vengeance as I say. She’s probably killed him by now

Never ever move somewhere without experiencing it at its WORST - not best

I’ve done a winter week on Skye. Nothing could induce me to move there permanently, despite the amazingness. Of course many would say the same about london…
    We had a near-midsummer holiday on Shetland, all over the place (including meeting up with my colleague who is a native). Okay, almost light all day and most of the night, but in winter? You'd need a hobby like building those model ships with about five million miniature blocks to be rove.

And this was a little after the disastrous storm-stranding of the Braer, whose wreck was still there in the bat to the west. I remember walking down the southern headland parallel to Sumburgh Head and noting the houses spaced out along the road. Every single one had a great sector of its roof in completely new tiles. I was thinking, what's it like in the mostly dark in winter, having your roof ripped off and being sprayed with a mix of sea water and crude oil?
    Shetland needs trees. Those rooves wouldn't fly away if there's a bank of trees acting as a windbreak. But where are all the trees?
    In Orkney, it's the rooves that act as the windbreak. I remember only two woods in the whole archipelago - both centuries old.

This one, it's worse than a C of E school catchment in bird nesting season - I have never seen a wood so crowded

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.9809191,-2.9588292,3a,90y,203.63h,94.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sal7U_oZWCSGecfrja0QthA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And this one sort of tapers down to a hedge height at the edges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Castle#/media/File:Balfour_castle_shapinsay.jpg

Yet both are centuries old mature forests.
    Are there plans to increase that (would seen to be a good idea), given wider programmes, or has someone in authority decided that being windswept is the essential heritage character of the place?

Dunno, sorry.
    It’s a good question tho. Are the tree-less wastes of Scotland meant to be like that?

The Caledonian forest suggests not. But then again, the endless, mournful winds on Shetland and Orkney …
    Samuel Johnson commented more than 250 years ago that "A tree might be a show in Scotland as a horse in Venice." In fairness though, he was never very nice about Scotland.
    He was very surprised the locals were so nice to him ...
    When you go to Iona it makes you think when you reflect that not only has Columba been there, but so has Samuel Johnson and John Keats.

The answer here is very simple: if you put an island in a loch, you get trees on it, unless you also put sheep or deer or cattle on the island. All there is to it. Same if you fence off a small square.
    If you want trees, bring back wolves.
    Or helicopter sniper teams.
    That happens, allegedly. Plenty of Scotch landowners with army connections quite adequate to arranging a special ops training exercise.
    Landowners in Scotland are in the main not Scots.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

More complex if they have families. The reason for fish and chips was this sort of situation in the big cities 150 years ago and counting.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

sarissa said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Selebian said:

FPT:

Where to go?

It is a short boat trip , you could do some time there and then explore the Ayrshire countryside or head up to Loch Lomond area, all within 1 hour of Ardrossan.
    Spent a week on Arran for an A-level Biology school field trip way back in 1993. We stayed in Lochranza, visited Blackwaterfoot. Got top marks for my stonefly nymphs fieldwork, also the last time I ever rode a bike :)
  • Options
    We (honestly) made toast in one of the few 'Home Economics' lessons us boys had in the 1990s

• Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

What Liverpool need, is to beat Villa by a rugby score.
    Don't put any money on it.
    2-1 last night.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

One of the things I have noticed about people who don't cook - many seem to think that cooking is an activity that takes hours a day, exclusive to all other activities.

Probably the influence of the celebrity chef thing - where you make everything from first principles in a kitchen the size of the Mariupol Steelworks.
  • Options

We (honestly) made toast in one of the few 'Home Economics' lessons us boys had in the 1990s

Our boys' school had ZERO home economics classes!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    MaxPB said:

So she wants people to learn how to cook, but doesn't like a scheme that literally teaches people how to cook. It's almost as if the campaigners have an agenda. Isn't the actual answer - "hey it's not ideal but one extra person who can cook cheaply is another person out of food poverty".
    What scheme to teach people how to cook? Most schools stopped doing Cookery at school when GCSEs arrived transforming it into a Home Economics type course which meant that a fully equipped Kitchen classroom was only required for 1/2 the lessons rather than all of them.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Which is definitely true, yet the time it takes to make a cheap, nutritious meal can be very low. One of the reasons I had so much money during uni and early in my career is because I had the ability to make the 50p meal and eat well. When I graduated I was pulling 70-90h week in a semi-permanent state of development crunch because the PS3 was a complete bastard to code for and none of our games worked properly. I earned a whole £26k per year before tax and student loan repayments and had horrific London rent to pay.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited May 2022

Dorothy L Sayers also wrote about in Murder Must Advertise.
This discussion has been closed.