Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the FT right about Beergate giving Starmer a boost? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    49% of people think Starmer broke the rules and only 18% think he didn't break the rules. So people will be disappointeed if Starmer doesn't resign.

https://twitter.com/ChrisHopkins92/status/1523705515930398720/photo/1
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

What I said on PB. Days ago...

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    Keir Cultists - trigger warning. Better look away from this one...so Keir's main line is "Boris is a serial rule breaker. I'm only being investigated for this one incident". Fine. But up until Friday his main defence was that "dinners" of the sort he had in Durham were common..

...during that election campaign. I think he said "that's what we did". In fact, he's gone further. His argument is those "dinners" weren't just a nice to have, but "necessary for campaign purposes". So my question is this. How many other events did Keir attend that were...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1523944433489752064

So Starmer is saying that the one and only incident just happened to have been photographed? Pull the other one.

I'm enjoying the contrast of the labour front bench all masked up in the commons when they didn't need to be versus them being mask-less when they thought no-one was looking.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

SKS man of integrity my arse.

He knows the Durham Police do not issue COVID FPNs retrospectively.

They said on Cummings" In line with Durham Constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person"..

SKS has set the bar so high that even if Durham Police find he broke the rules he will survive because he knows their policy re retrospective fines

As I have been saying all along.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726
    Pensfold said:

49% of people think Starmer broke the rules and only 18% think he didn't break the rules. So people will be disappointeed if Starmer doesn't resign.

Thinking of the next GE, if you were a Tory voter would you want Starmer to get a FPN and go or not?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Pensfold said:

The FT is allowing its bias against Boris and for Starmer to cloud its judgement.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Stocky said:

What I said on PB. Days ago...

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    Keir Cultists - trigger warning. Better look away from this one...so Keir's main line is "Boris is a serial rule breaker. I'm only being investigated for this one incident". Fine. But up until Friday his main defence was that "dinners" of the sort he had in Durham were common..

...during that election campaign. I think he said "that's what we did". In fact, he's gone further. His argument is those "dinners" weren't just a nice to have, but "necessary for campaign purposes". So my question is this. How many other events did Keir attend that were...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1523944433489752064

So Starmer is saying that the one and only incident just happened to have been photographed? Pull the other one.

I'm enjoying the contrast of the labour front bench all masked up in the commons when they didn't need to be versus them being mask-less when they thought no-one was looking.
    Seems to be Hodges saying that, not Starmer, but eh, why not let his accusers speak for him....

Starmer's defence from what I have heard, is he did not break any rules.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Scott_xP said:

The top story on German national radio news just now was the reported UK threat unilaterally to pass a domestic law, the contents of which would fundamentally breach a key, legally binding treaty between the UK & EU, in order to appease a party which just lost in NI.
    https://twitter.com/AndrewPRLevi/status/1523947810521026561

Double-bullshit.

Invoking a provision of the Protocol doesn't break the Treaty, it is part and parcel of the Treaty.

And NI has a stupid PR voting, just like Germany does themselves. The DUP and other parties won the right to be in the NI Government at the election thanks to the stupid PR voting system they have, so they didn't lose the election.

Funny how so many people normally keen on PR want to apply FPTP principles to Northern Ireland right now, isn't it?
    The NI government system is not a function of STV or PR or even FPTP. It was setup as a powersharing government (i forget the technical name) to include all shades of opinion.
    To be fair to German radio news (not sure exactly which radio news the tweeter is referring to), I listened to the news today and it didn't say anything about appeasing a party which just lost. In fact it didn't mention the DUP at all, but quoted the Times as reporting Truss saying Britain would scrap parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol. It was about the 8th item in editions that mentioned it at all. Don't know who this tweeter is, but it seems to me they probably aren't a very accurate source.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

MattW said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Germany has nothing of the sort, not even a San Marino (which is in the Single Market anyway)

Germany has that railway that belongs to Belgium cutting a bit of it off from the rest of the Fatherland.
    Germany has a whole bunch of exclaves or enclaves, but they are all in the EU customs union except one in Switzerland, afaik
    Heligoland (slightly flatter than it used to be) is outside both the Customs area and the VAT area.
    It was British from 1807 to 1890 (swapped with Zanzibar, no less).
    And 1945 to 1952
    Also neither an enclave nor an exclave.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Leon said:

The Daily Mirror with its finger on the pulse of Britain, as ever

"Nobody else in Britain would keep huge pay, many free homes and massive support staff if they could no longer do their job.

"Why should Elizabeth Windsor, 96, be treated differently?"

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1523974276013076481?s=20&t=KrUFrqK0BkJ9-qIT34UVGw

Kevin wants the Queen, 96, to be turfed out of her gaff and sent to Weston Super Mare

The seaside! Could be worse, could be sending her to Barnsley.
    Weston Super Mare is only seaside at high tide.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

The most astonishing thing about the whole tedious partygate/beergate saga is the fact that several PBers are still, apparently, incapable of correctly spelling the names of Sue Gray and Angela Rayner. There's been good progress on Keir, though.

Apologies if I was one of them, Nortern Ak.
    There are some things in life where 100% accuracy is crucial, such as space craft dimensions (looking at you, NASA) and drug treatments/surgery.

Names on an obscure political betting website is surely not one of them.

On every occasion when the name or names was/were wrongly spelled, was there any doubt at all who the poster meant? If not, then whats the issue?

Some posters like to correct others posts (looking at you Ishmael). When I post I dont tend to proof read it. When I am at work, I do proof whatever I write, be they emails, papers for submission etc.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Wills looks very, very sombre and rather sad. The occasion or more to it?

Feels inappropriate to say.

The palace is always tight lipped. However either Prince Edward is VERY good at hiding his emotions, I'd say we are not yet at the crisis point. He was in jovial mood on friday.
This discussion has been closed.