Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If this polling doesn’t change then hello PM Starmer – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607

Leon said:

Thought I best get something to eat with my fourth beer! Calamars a La Romana. I’ve eaten so much squid lately, I might start making ink..

You appear to have eaten very well on your travels!
    I certainly have!

But I’ve also lost over half a stone since I’ve been here. The “marche partout” bit seems to have beaten the “bois comme un trou” part.
    That’s impressive. How many miles a day have you averaged?
    Just under fifteen miles a day. And that includes four lazy, under five mile, days (including today, which I expect will get to ten miles before it’s over). The thirty two miles on my third day is holding the average up!
    Ta. Do you mind spending a minute DM-ing me your route? It sounds great

1. I quite fancy doing it and

2. There might be a Knapper’s Gazette article in it

I’ll stand you a drink in gratitude if we ever coincide in the same place!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bleak leader from Reaction:

"Wartime Russia has become a madhouse that threatens the world."

"The other irresponsible propaganda theme is that Russia, because of its large land mass, could survive and “win” a nuclear war. Since at least 2016 the regime has been promoting this canard by holding civil defence exercises."

https://reaction.life/wartime-putins-russia-has-become-a-madhouse-threatening-the-world/

Every day the west keeps shoveling weapons into Ukraine brings us another day closer to the accidental start of WW3.

I'm cool with it because I should be dead anyway but Johnson, Brandon, Macron et al are playing with thermonuclear fire.
    Let us assume you are correct and Putin is willing to launch WWIII to get what he wants.

So what does he want? By his own words, the Baltic states, Poland, and probably all of Eastern Europe under his control. So if we do not help Ukraine now, he will just threaten the world with nuclear oblivion until he gets what he wants.

And even when he gets that: Russia, like the USSR, will still be a shitehole. He has had twenty years and massive amounts of money from gas 'n oil to improve his country. He has not done so; instead enriching himself and his friends. I see no reason for that to change. So his ambitions will be greater.

Giving in to Putin now over Ukraine does not reduce the risk of nuclear oblivion in the medium or long term. It increases it - from both Russia, and other states.

The best time to tackle Putin was years ago. The next best time is now. The worst time is in the future.

Johnson, Brandon, Macron et al are not the ones playing with thermonuclear fire. That is Putin.

And you have no solution.
    Have you read that reaction.life article? Do you not believe it? Because if it is true the most rational solution by a country mile is to let putin have what he wants up to the greatest extent of the USSR, including if he wants it East Germany, and hope for another 1989 event in a couple of generations time.

So there's a solution right there. What is yours?
    In reality it's going to take the Russian military at least ten years to recover from their version of Operation Enduring Freedom by the time they have ground out enough progress in Ukraine to call it a win.

So they aren't going to be rolling into Moldova or the thrice blessed Baltics any time soon. And who would give a fuck if they did?
    Well, the people in those states probably 'give a fuck'. As will Poland and others, who know they will be next.

Your answer is to give in to the Russians. I fail to see how that reduces the chances of nuclear war in the medium or long term; in fact, I'd argue it increases the risk.
    Well, hang on, Russia has said in clear terms that if NATO does anything other than "give in" it is going strategic nuclear on NATO's arse. Why would you not believe that? Putin is old and mad and has the overwhelming support of his people, and the weapons. I suspect you have sold yourself some kind of story about bullies always backing down when a chap does the decent thing and stands up to them. Not so.

And why does "giving in" enhance the future nuclear risk? If Russia gets all the territory it wants and a nice breathing space to bring its non nuke forces up to speed, what incentive do you see it having in the future to start nuking people?
    So when do we stop 'giving in' to his demands? If we 'give in' on this, what makes you think that his demands won't suddenly become more expansive?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Thought I best get something to eat with my fourth beer! Calamars a La Romana. I’ve eaten so much squid lately, I might start making ink..

I certainly have!

But I’ve also lost over half a stone since I’ve been here. The “marche partout” bit seems to have beaten the “bois comme un trou” part.
    Just under fifteen miles a day. And that includes four lazy, under five mile, days (including today, which I expect will get to ten miles before it’s over). The thirty two miles on my third day is holding the average up!

Will do. But once I’m home (or maybe at the airport tomorrow) as I’m already feeling a bit too drunk to get everything in the right order!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607

Leon said:

Leon said:

I certainly have!

Will do. But once I’m home (or maybe at the airport tomorrow) as I’m already feeling a bit too drunk to get everything in the right order!
    Absolutely. No hurry. Enjoy your calamari
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Dura_Ace said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Bleak leader from Reaction:

"Wartime Russia has become a madhouse that threatens the world."

"The other irresponsible propaganda theme is that Russia, because of its large land mass, could survive and “win” a nuclear war. Since at least 2016 the regime has been promoting this canard by holding civil defence exercises."

https://reaction.life/wartime-putins-russia-has-become-a-madhouse-threatening-the-world/

Every day the west keeps shoveling weapons into Ukraine brings us another day closer to the accidental start of WW3.

I'm cool with it because I should be dead anyway but Johnson, Brandon, Macron et al are playing with thermonuclear fire.
    Let us assume you are correct and Putin is willing to launch WWIII to get what he wants.

So what does he want? By his own words, the Baltic states, Poland, and probably all of Eastern Europe under his control. So if we do not help Ukraine now, he will just threaten the world with nuclear oblivion until he gets what he wants.

And even when he gets that: Russia, like the USSR, will still be a shitehole. He has had twenty years and massive amounts of money from gas 'n oil to improve his country. He has not done so; instead enriching himself and his friends. I see no reason for that to change. So his ambitions will be greater.

Giving in to Putin now over Ukraine does not reduce the risk of nuclear oblivion in the medium or long term. It increases it - from both Russia, and other states.

The best time to tackle Putin was years ago. The next best time is now. The worst time is in the future.

Johnson, Brandon, Macron et al are not the ones playing with thermonuclear fire. That is Putin.

And you have no solution.
    Have you read that reaction.life article? Do you not believe it? Because if it is true the most rational solution by a country mile is to let putin have what he wants up to the greatest extent of the USSR, including if he wants it East Germany, and hope for another 1989 event in a couple of generations time.

So there's a solution right there. What is yours?
    In reality it's going to take the Russian military at least ten years to recover from their version of Operation Enduring Freedom by the time they have ground out enough progress in Ukraine to call it a win.

So they aren't going to be rolling into Moldova or the thrice blessed Baltics any time soon. And who would give a fuck if they did?
    Well, the people in those states probably 'give a fuck'. As will Poland and others, who know they will be next.

Your answer is to give in to the Russians. I fail to see how that reduces the chances of nuclear war in the medium or long term; in fact, I'd argue it increases the risk.
    There have been occasions where I listened to the views of Dura and carefully considered whether they could be right. Despite odd political views, I accepted his military experience as giving extra insight that shouldn't be discounted lightly.

But then Ukraine happened and it became clear he was just mindlessly biased against the West and in support of our enemies. I now skip over his posts in a similar manner to HYUFD or Roger.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Leon said:

TimT said:

Rather depressingly, the sky is grey and gloomy. I was up and ready to go early enough to catch the (supposed) train back to Vilajuïga, then bus or walk to Garriguella, and on to the tortoise sanctuary. But their sign told me that if I came on a cloudy day not to expect to see tortoises, and not to complain! So I decided not to potentially waste eight hours (five travelling there and back, three waiting to see if they came out into the gloom) of my last whole day, and to enjoy Girona and its food and wine instead.

On a somewhat brighter note, mask wearing has definitely dropped off in the three weeks I’ve been here. I noticed it in Barcelona, but thought that may have been a big city effect. I can really see the change back here in Girona though; I’ve been to three cafés so far this morning and none of the ladies who’ve served me have worn one, my hotel receptionists last night and this morning weren’t, and from about one in three or four wearing them out on the street it’s dropped to about one in twenty. I love seeing more smiles 😀

Whatever it was I was expecting from Azerbaijan, it was not this. Saribash village near Qakh, in the Greater Caucus mountains

Every PB-er is abroad! Fantastic

Go up, up, up into those mountains. The higher you go the weirder it gets. In the foothills they look Iranian, half way up they look like Slavs, at the top they are all beautiful blue eyed red headed freckly Celts (or look like it). The Caucasus mountains are amazing
    Am I the only f##ker still in the UK and working?
    Hey! This is a work trip. Training at Public Health and Food Safety labs in each of the provinces. 2 days, then move. Rinse and repeat until all major (and quite a few minor) towns are done. Best work trip ever.
This discussion has been closed.