Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Number 10 lockdown bandit plans to tough it out – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2022 in General
imageThe Number 10 lockdown bandit plans to tough it out – politicalbetting.com

Given that the latest poll over the weekend has LAB with an 11% lead You would have thought that Johnson would at least recognise that he needs be contrite in a little way. There s a lot of strong feeling out there from the 80% plus of people who strictly followed the lockdown rules and after being fined you would expect Johnson not to ignore this.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Party starter, he's a lying party starter....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/04/17/boris-johnson-accused-instigating-downing-street-lockdown-party/

Couple of years he will have the same infamous haircut too.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    If, as per the Times front page in the header, Boris will defend partygate in the Commons and claim no rules were broken, perhaps the Conservative whips should arrange the absence of the government's law officers. You would not want them to face inconvenient questions.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    - “My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens and Johnson needs to do more to show his contrition.”

In order to show contrition you need to be contrite. Or to be able to fake sincerity. Johnson is unrepentant and transparent. A fatal combination for his party.

My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens, and long thereafter, and the Conservatives are going to be defeated. The brand is forever tarnished by the antics of the past few years. It’ll get worse as the full magnitude of the Brexit unforced error sinks in. Decent centre-right people should consider a fresh start.

Starmer needs to introduce PR and kill the repulsive Tory monster for good.
  • Options
    Although printed in smaller typeface, the Patel Rwanda deportation scandal is just as significant. These people are mendacious law-breakers on a monumental scale. A quite breathtaking scale.

Somehow, the internal workings of the Conservative Party managed to promote all the bad eggs and weed out all the decent souls. The opposite of what political parties ought to strive for.
  • Options
    Sweden’s prime minister Magdalena Andersson has told Dagens Nyheter, the leading broadsheet, that a Swedish NATO membership application in current circumstances would lead to further instability in Europe. She said: “In a situation like this, my judgment is that the best thing for Sweden’s security is that we are predictable, clear and hold a steady course.”

Opinion polling shows the large number of Don’t Knows breaking to the No side. However, if Finland joins that’s a game changer.

It is fascinating to see Sweden following Finnish affairs so closely. The country that was formerly simply eastern Sweden does not usually figure highly in modern Swedes’ consciousness. Mumins, party boats and homely tv shows in.quaint archaic dialects are about the sum of Finnish contribution to Swedish popular culture.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,468
    edited April 2022
    "Why the past 10 years of American life have been uniquely stupid
    It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/

- “The newly tweaked platforms were almost perfectly designed to bring out our most moralistic and least reflective selves. The volume of outrage was shocking.”

Brings to mind Sean’s very public mental breakdown. A seemingly permanent, ugly a feature of this blog. Yesterday’s tirades against imaginary enemies was a case study in psychological projection.

I wouldn’t mind so much if the outrage was genuine, but it is so self-evidently synthetic. Manufactured for the entertainment of simpletons. But drug- and alcohol-induced rants lose their entertainment value after a couple of decades. Throw-away comedy has transmogrified into profound tragedy. Is *anyone* still laughing?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited April 2022
    An exclusive poll for The Times suggests that Johnson may have more difficulty winning over the public. The survey, conducted by J L Partners, co-founded by James Johnson, Theresa May’s former pollster, asked almost 2,000 people to give their view of the prime minister in a few words.

Comments from 72 per cent of respondents were negative, more than four times the proportion of positive responses (16 per cent). The most common word used was “liar”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/defiant-boris-johnson-insists-he-didnt-break-covid-rules-8k5m6d73r
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Totally agree with you Mike and likewise with the findings in TSE's post below.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

- “The newly tweaked platforms were almost perfectly designed to bring out our most moralistic and least reflective selves. The volume of outrage was shocking.”

Brings to mind Sean’s very public mental breakdown. A seemingly permanent, ugly a feature of this blog. Yesterday’s tirades against imaginary enemies was a case study in psychological projection.

I wouldn’t mind so much if the outrage was genuine, but it is so self-evidently synthetic. Manufactured for the entertainment of simpletons. But drug- and alcohol-induced rants lose their entertainment value after a couple of decades. Throw-away comedy has transmogrified into profound tragedy. Is *anyone* still laughing?
    Physician, heal thyself.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

A lot of this article, unsurprisingly, resonates with the direction of my thinking in recent years.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    A fine Easter essay from Timothy Snyder.

https://snyder.substack.com/p/russias-easter-offensive?s=r
    … Havel was the author of a famous secular east European statement about risk in politics. He wrote "Power of the Powerless" in communist Czechoslovakia, three decades before that debate, under the shadow of the death of the philosopher Jan Patocka, who had died after police interrogation. In that essay, Havel maintained that one takes risks for one's own truths, not because punishment brings some meaning, but because risk inheres in truth. To "live in truth" means accepting a measure of existential danger.

The Soviet Ukrainian dissident Myroslav Marynovych, who admired Havel, said something similar. The risks that he and others took as human rights activists in the Soviet Ukraine of the 1970s were not a deliberate provocation of the state. They were just an inseparable element of what Myronovych called a "normal Ukrainian life." In the Soviet Union, one could be punished for singing Ukrainian songs or speaking of Ukrainian history. One should do such normal things not to court punishment, but rather because not doing so would compromise the self. …
  • Options
    Italian PM Mario Draghi attempted to persuade Putin to end war agnst 🇺🇦 &talk to Zelenskyy, but Putin refused: "Time hasn't come yet"

"I'm starting to understand that those saying that talking to [🇷🇺 leadership] is a waste of time have a point"

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1515857670129000449
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

That’s a very good piece indeed.

“These two extreme groups [far left and far right] are similar in surprising ways. They are the whitest and richest of the seven groups, which suggests that America is being torn apart by a battle between two subsets of the elite who are not representative of the broader society

Following the American commentary on the Musk/Twitter saga over the past week has been enlightening, with people changing positions 180º based purely on whether Musk or Agrawal ends up running the company.
  • Options
    My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens and Johnson needs to do more to show his contrition.

I think this is wrong, Mike.
    Johnson needed to show contrition, and instead has shown contempt, both for his own laws, and for the rest of us.

It’s long past the time when he could convincingly simulate contrition.

It’s Easter, and no doubt some will say repentance is always possible. I’d agree - but only should he step down as PM.
  • Options
    Like Mike and TSE I've tended to believe Johnson will cling on until the next General Election.

However, I suppose Sunak's plunge might make Johnson's position more, not less, perilous. If previously Sunak was a shoo-in for the top job there wasn't a lot of point anyone else jockeying for position.

Now that a race would be wide open it means more contenders could be building up their support. All of which adds to the threat Johnson faces.

I still don't believe they will have the courage to oust Johnson and that it will be left to the voters to do the job at the General Election but I don't think he's out of the woods. This week is an important one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens and Johnson needs to do more to show his contrition.

Johnson needed to show contrition, and instead has shown contempt, both for his own laws, and for the rest of us.

It’s Easter, and no doubt some will say repentance is always possible. I’d agree - but only should he step down as PM.

Boris would do well to reflect on what a pissed-off electorate is capable of doing. Winchester 1997. Gerry Malone loses by 2 votes. He goes to court, gets the result overturned, and a by-election is called.

Which Malone loses by 21,566 votes.

To Mark Euuuuwwwww Oaten.

Reality is what the electorate says it is, Boris. You can't game that by denial.

Imagine Winchester on a national scale. I can.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Good morning one and all.

I find it notable that Johnson appears, on 'Partygate' anyway, to have lost the support of the Telegraph. I accept that Nick Timothy seems to like the Rwanda deal, but if Sir Herbert Gusset has serious doubts about a Tory PM, then I suspect the end of his days can't be far away.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977

- “My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens and Johnson needs to do more to show his contrition.”

In order to show contrition you need to be contrite. Or to be able to fake sincerity. Johnson is unrepentant and transparent. A fatal combination for his party.

My view is this is something that will be remembered whenever the election happens, and long thereafter, and the Conservatives are going to be defeated. The brand is forever tarnished by the antics of the past few years. It’ll get worse as the full magnitude of the Brexit unforced error sinks in. Decent centre-right people should consider a fresh start.

So you are one of those people who would change the rules of the game to help your side.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

So you are one of those people who would change the rules of the game to help your side.
    PR would not help the SNP.

• Options

I was speaking more broadly than party.

He was clear his purpose in introducing PR was to eliminate a party that he opposes.

That’s fine, if wrong. But no more squealing about gerrymandering from him please
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

The real issue is no longer Johnson, it is the Conservative party’s tolerance of him. Every Tory MP and member not actively and vocally seeking his removal is colluding in the dilution of our democracy. As noted previously a number of times, no genuine patriot would do that.

Where does the Tory party go from here? Where are the untainted MPs and PPCs who are at the heart of rebuilding a Party from the ashes of the Johnson cabal? It looks bleak - even more so if it is a narrow electoral defeat.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Caught up with wider family over the weekend. Was surprised by the stench of feelings against Boris over this from those who had voted for him.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    mwadams said:

The real issue is no longer Johnson, it is the Conservative party’s tolerance of him. Every Tory MP and member not actively and vocally seeking his removal is colluding in the dilution of our democracy. As noted previously a number of times, no genuine patriot would do that.

Where does the Tory party go from here? Where are the untainted MPs and PPCs who are at the heart of rebuilding a Party from the ashes of the Johnson cabal? It looks bleak - even more so if it is a narrow electoral defeat.
    There are a few who called for him to go. But very few so far.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Jonathan said:

Caught up with wider family over the weekend. Was surprised by the stench of feelings against Boris over this from those who had voted for him.

LOL
  • Options

He was clear his purpose in introducing PR was to eliminate a party that he opposes.

That’s fine, if wrong. But no more squealing about gerrymandering from him please
    Introducing a fair electoral system isn't 'gerrymandering'.

And, to be fair, I don't think anyone would really want to 'eliminate' the Conservative ;party. It normally represents a strand of opinion which deserves to be represented in Parliament. However, our system means that if either of the two parties is 'captured' by an extremist element, as appears to have happened now, then it can wreak havoc.
    We have a fair voting system at the moment, whoever gets the most votes wins their constituency.

What people who call for a "fair" voting system really mean is they don't like the results and want those who aren't getting enough votes to still get elected anyway, rather than convincing more voters to vote for them.
  • Options

And, to be fair, I don't think anyone would really want to 'eliminate' the Conservative ;party. It normally represents a strand of opinion which deserves to be represented in Parliament. However, our system means that if either of the two parties is 'captured' by an extremist element, as appears to have happened now, then it can wreak havoc.
    Introducing a new* electoral system for the purpose of “kill[ing] the repulsive Tory monster” is what he said. I’m choosing to take him at his word. You’re right though - it’s not gerrymandering. It’s far worse than that. It’s fundamentally undemocratic and illiberal.

* “fair” is a value judgement. I believe that it is right that a local area chooses someone to represent their interests. The person with most votes gets picked. What could be fairer than that?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Why is Andy Burnham 4/1 to be Next Labour Leader? I just can’t make head nor tail of that idiotically short price.

There is a long list of reasons why that is appalling value, but surely a new reason to add to the list is inflation. Say he does by some miracle get the job in, say, 8 years time, your tenner would have earnt you a measly 40 quid. But that’s a spring 2022 forty quid. It’d be a 2030 twenty quid.

All distant-event bets tend to be poor value for punters and terrific earners for bookmakers, but inflation has just distorted the market even further in the interests of the bad guys.

Yeah it seems nuts to me as well. I've layed a fair amount, as I imagine many others here have. I guess there's just someone out there that wanted to have a big long term bet on him, and too few people prepared to oppose it given (as you say) that it ties money up potentially for many years. (And that's bad for both sides of the bet)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366

That was the point of keeping Big Dog out of the Big Job. Ghastly as his approach to bring PM is, it was broadly foreseeable by those who knew him. Hence that unsuccessful talk of somehow keeping him out of the final round in 2019.

Now he is in place, it's going to be much harder to remove him; we've already seen several cycles of the insufficiently loyal being cast into the outer darkness.

We know from history that when terrible regimes take power, a lot of normal decent people keep their heads down, hope that someone else will make it blow over, and very softly collaborate. Fortunately, few of us have been put in such a stark position.

Now Boris isn't comparable with those great monsters of history, thank goodness. But there's a similar human dynamic, I suspect. So whilst Conservatives who tolerate this are a lot less patriotic than their self-image, I can't quite condemn them, and I feel a bit guilty about voting against them next month.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    First Past the post is a fair system. The only people who want to change it are the perennial losers who think they might benefit
  • Options

We have a fair voting system at the moment, whoever gets the most votes wins their constituency.

What people who call for a "fair" voting system really mean is they don't like the results and want those who aren't getting enough votes to still get elected anyway, rather than convincing more voters to vote for them.
    Its fair in the constituency. But isn't fair in the country - and most people believe that national vote shares and votes cast matter. So its time we gave people what they think they have now.

Single Transferrable Vote in Multi-Member Constituencies please. Fair. Proportionate. Constituency link maintained but you can choose which MP to take on your issue.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

It's one of the curious things about Labour. Once Jez went, his spell over the party broke pretty rapidly and the hard left were put back in their box with a bit of noise but little else.

Some of that is down to Starmer being a better politician than many credit him for, but also the Momentum takeover was never that complete.

The Conservatives might just wake up from this nightmare, in the way that Spain collectively but wordlessly decided to just ignore Franco's plans as soon as he was dead. But it looks harder for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Noting the comments on PR, which is a long running issue on Pb, nearly up to pineapple on pizza.

Some long time ago my professional body introduced PR..... our council had seven members elected each year for a three year term. Before it's introduction the Council was dominated by one section of the profession; admittedly a large sector, but one which was decreasing. After PR came in, within a few years we had a much more representative, and, in my opinion anyway, a very good Council, with excellent relations with the DoH and other health professions. Then a small group of 'conservative' members campaigned for the re-introduction of the tradition "British' system; top seven candidates in the list elected.
    Over the next three years the Council was 'captured' by a small but vociferous group, and relations with the DoH deteriorated sadly, to the point where we lost many of our powers.

It's arguable that the last might have happened anyway, and, of course, that the electors had a choice but the change was very noticeable.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

They rule Scotland in a PR system.

I would like to see a similar system UK wide.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Introducing a new* electoral system for the purpose of “kill[ing] the repulsive Tory monster” is what he said. I’m choosing to take him at his word. You’re right though - it’s not gerrymandering. It’s far worse than that. It’s fundamentally undemocratic and illiberal.

* “fair” is a value judgement. I believe that it is right that a local area chooses someone to represent their interests. The person with most votes gets picked. What could be fairer than that?
    Any system that ensures the plurality of views in that local area are represented in parliament would be fairer. And more complicated. And prone to bringing out the kind of people who will endlessly lecture you on how it is in fact not complicated.
  • Options

First Past the post is a fair system. The only people who want to change it are the perennial losers who think they might benefit

When those losers do become winners, it miraculously goes away as a concern....
    For some maybe, but not all. It is a problem that for huge swathes of country one unrepresentative minority dominates for decades, and no one else gets a look in ever. Democracy works better when seats, councils and government can change hands.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Foxy said:

Been SNP policy to have PR at Westminster for a very long time, and still is. Even though it would not help their seat count.
  • Options

When has a party committed to PR become a winner?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Conclusion from the pollster is that partygate has essentially become the PM’s most defining crisis. https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1515936789055389701
  • Options
    mwadams said:

The Conservative party is now owned by Boris Johnson. His only interest is his own survival, so that is the party's only interest. When he does go eventually, he will probably have ensured that anyone who genuinely believes in freedom, democracy and enabling business has no chance of replacing him. Instead, it will continue to be the Anglo-Orban party, designed solely to enrich supporters and friends.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I think the Boris Johnson Word Cloud from @JLPartnersPolls might be there most beautiful thing I've ever seen. https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1515946038196068359/photo/1

I do feel sorry for the Tory MPs who have enough of a brain to understand the situation. They can defend the Big Crook all they like, say no rules were broken and he's sorry so move on. If the public listen to them and go "naah mate he's a liar" then its *over* and there is nothing they can do about it.

Remember that in any election its not just about how your side votes, its about how the other side does too. All we need to get the liar out of office is enough Tory voters going "naah mate" and sitting on their hands. They don't even have to vote Labour for scores of seats to flip. And in the south the LibDem threat is starting to be recognised by pollsters, with the yellow pox breaking out like a rash on some prediction models.

So to HY and his friends - think what you want. But it really isn't about what you think, its about what the voters think. And apparently they are less stupid than you hope they are. Your problem is that by openly associating yourself with the man the voters know to be a liar and a crook, you yourselves are just as tarnished. Why will they listen to you again?
  • Options
    You're a Tory MP.

You watched Boris get fired 2x for lying, lie constantly about Brexit, illegally shut Parliament, use death threats against MPs, party in lockdown,
    And you backed him THROUGHOUT.

After decades of this...
    Imagine having the NERVE to try & distance yourself now?

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1515793895065587718
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

Thanks very much for posting that. Very interesting, thought provoking and slightly bleak. We should all read it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Intetrsting thread from a Labour data analyst, on Le Pen and the youth vote:

https://twitter.com/ChristabelCoops/status/1515624147925319686?t=o4IpuwwLGaY2zKeRBh0UEA&s=19

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    mwadams said:

Any system that ensures the plurality of views in that local area are represented in parliament would be fairer. And more complicated. And prone to bringing out the kind of people who will endlessly lecture you on how it is in fact not complicated.
    How is a party with a manifesto supported by (say) 48% of the voters beaten by fairness when a party with 47% support is propped up by a party with 5% - who demand that half their (massively rejected) manifesto is then implemented?

It might be a pragmatic power grab. But "fair"???
  • Options

So why the fuss made by the undemocratic tendency at the idea of Starmer introducing PR if you’re all so sure he won’t, should he win ?

You’re celebrating what you see as a lack of principle. I hope you’re wrong.
  • Options

mwadams said:

It's one of the curious things about Labour. Once Jez went, his spell over the party broke pretty rapidly and the hard left were put back in their box with a bit of noise but little else.

Some of that is down to Starmer being a better politician than many credit him for, but also the Momentum takeover was never that complete.

The Conservatives might just wake up from this nightmare, in the way that Spain collectively but wordlessly decided to just ignore Franco's plans as soon as he was dead. But it looks harder for the Conservatives.

I don't see how the Tories get back to a pragmatic, bro-business, patriotic Conservatism that accepts the constraints of operating within a liberal democracy. The kind of Conservatism that was represented on here by people like David Herdson and Richard Nabavi. Labour MPs tried to get rid of Corbyn but were constrained by the party's rules. Tory MPs have been Johnson's willing helpers.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited April 2022

Do you think it would be ‘right’ and ‘fair’ if Holyrood converted solely to FTP and the SNP having 90%+ of elected representatives?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    Foxy said:

I wouldn’t. It’s a dogs dinner dreamt up by new labour to try to ensure there’s never a majority.

I’d much prefer STV with multi member seats, based on county borders.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2022
    Just been reading this article from yesterday's MoS. The choice of photo and headline says it all. When the Mail on sunday invokes the Queen they usually mean business

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

I wouldn’t. It’s a dogs dinner dreamt up by new labour to try to ensure there’s never a majority.

And the LDs. Give the LDs some credit for the perverted d'Hondt system at Holyrood.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

When has a party committed to PR become a winner?
    Scotland.

Edit: possibly also PC (In coalition) - memory is dim. And the LDs in 2010 of course.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    edited April 2022

Circa 60% of voters over the last seven years have no say. In 2005 the party of government were re elected with a majority on just 36% of votes cast, meaning 64% of voters were without a voice.

It's only a fair system because the party you want to win generally wins, 1997 to 2010 notwithstanding.

P.S. It worked OK between 2010 and 2015.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

That’s a very good piece indeed.

“These two extreme groups [far left and far right] are similar in surprising ways. They are the whitest and richest of the seven groups, which suggests that America is being torn apart by a battle between two subsets of the elite who are not representative of the broader society

Following the American commentary on the Musk/Twitter saga over the past week has been enlightening, with people changing positions 180º based purely on whether Musk or Agrawal ends up running the company.
    Yes. In particular, black American voters, while overwhelmingly Democratic, are also very largely centrist Democrats.
  • Options

Do you think it would be ‘right’ and ‘fair’ if Holyrood converted solely to FTP and the SNP having 90%+ of elected representatives?
    Of course, that's the way the imperial masters do things. So we should do the same in Scotland.

Except that it's a reserved power to HMG in London.

However, for some strange reason the Tories don't want to change the voting system ...
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

This. Think big with the size of constituencies. Then we have fun when its lets say 5 MPs to be elected. It won't be as simple as loyalists voting 5 Con or Lab. You will get some ballots that have 3 Con, 2 LD. Or they vote a few times for their main party then get bored and vote Loony or BXP or Northern independence or whatever.

For the first time it would free people to vote for who they actually want.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

Agreed. Although you would have to give some thought to flexibility. For example, based on county borders Rutland and Herefordshire would have about 1 MP each, while London andLancashire (if you took its historic borders) would have about 75.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

mwadams said:

How is a party with a manifesto supported by (say) 48% of the voters beaten by fairness when a party with 47% support is propped up by a party with 5% - who demand that half their (massively rejected) manifesto is then implemented?

It might be a pragmatic power grab. But "fair"???
    It is is even less fair that a party can exercise 100% of state power, by controlling just over 50% of MPs, based on 40% of the vote and the support of 30% of the total electorate. They do not represent 70%. This unfairness leads directly to parties governing poorly. They only have to please a minority, the rest are alienated.

This is not a party point.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    The thing is - Tory MPs seem happy enough to back a known liar into the next election. And somehow expect the public to believe what they have to say. You can see the next election narrative forming already - every Johnson claim rebuffed with “well, you’re just a liar..”

The fact we still have buffoons like Dorris, Rees-Mog and Patel in government sort of sums up where the party is nowadays.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

Sorry, FPTP, too much Oldfirm-ism about!
  • Options

PR is a much better system.

Blair should have introduced it. He probably didn't because he thought it would disadvantage Labour, so one of his smaller failures.

It's hard to say who it would advantage most now, probably the LDs but that could change. No matter. If it's a better system, it should be introduced regardless.

FPTP is a dinosaur.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited April 2022
    Good opinion piece from Tim Bale:

Ultimately, however, it seems to me that the ability of an utterly compromised prime minister to retain the confidence of his colleagues, in spite of his losing the support of the public and becoming a deadweight drag on his party’s popularity, must involve a degree of magical thinking.

Indeed, I would argue that like Churchill and Thatcher before him, Johnson has become what we might call a talismanic leader, one who, possessed by powers that sometimes seem superhuman, even supernatural, to his friends and foes alike will, whatever the current evidence to the contrary, supposedly see their party through the very worst of times and into the sunlit uplands.

A word of warning, however. As Churchill and Thatcher themselves learned the hard way, magic wears off.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/17/just-what-exactly-is-keeping-boris-johnson-in-power?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options

I don't see how the Tories get back to a pragmatic, bro-business, patriotic Conservatism that accepts the constraints of operating within a liberal democracy.

If such a party still existed, it would renounce Brexit as an existential threat to all those things
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Boris would do well to reflect on what a pissed-off electorate is capable of doing. Winchester 1997. Gerry Malone loses by 2 votes. He goes to court, gets the result overturned, and a by-election is called.

Which Malone loses by 21,566 votes.

To Mark Euuuuwwwww Oaten.

Reality is what the electorate says it is, Boris. You can't game that by denial.

Imagine Winchester on a national scale. I can.
    Good to hear you say that, Mark. I've been thinking that for some time.

I don't think it is likely, because I think the Tories will get rid of him in time to avert a catastrophic meltdown, but it is possible if they delay too long, or he just won't go.

For the avoiance of doubt, I do not think it would be a good thing for the Nation and its political system if we saw a 'Winchester on a national scale'.
  • Options
    You can't convince people to stop believing that Boris Johnson is a liar, so all you can do is try to persuade them that it doesn't matter. Thus, the debasement of the Conservative party, its MPs and members will continue. There is no way out for them until he is gone; and even then it will be a very long way back given the culture that he has created and they have all enabled. The Anglo-Orbans control the right in the UK as they do in many other parts of the free world.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    If no laws were broken, why is he being handed a fine?

He is basically saying the Met are wrong. So why is he not fighting it in court?

Simples.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Only in your perverted view. Some us have principles.
  • Options
    Free legal advice for @BorisJohnson:

Repeated public denials of guilt

+

Multiple false defence statements served

+

Late guilty plea in the face of overwhelming evidence

+

Reverting to denying the offence after admitting it

=

Unimpressed sentencing court

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1515954365487538178
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    I’ve said before that I think Johnson believes it when he says he didn’t lie. They convinced themselves that all the things they did were within the rules for working during the lockdowns.
    Now everyone else can believe that’s bollocks, but I think it is germane to the charge of lying to the house. No PM should have to resign over. FPN. Other mps have had them, for instance, and they are trivial. The weapon people are wielding is the lying to parliament. But Johnson, in his eyes, didn’t lie, they just got it wrong.
    Ultimately it will make little difference. I suspect the 80% of the public who scrupulously followed the rules will be waiting for the election, daggers raised.
    And I doubt anyone else on here will agree with my view.
  • Options

Taz said:

Foxy said:

This. Think big with the size of constituencies. Then we have fun when its lets say 5 MPs to be elected. It won't be as simple as loyalists voting 5 Con or Lab. You will get some ballots that have 3 Con, 2 LD. Or they vote a few times for their main party then get bored and vote Loony or BXP or Northern independence or whatever.

For the first time it would free people to vote for who they actually want.
    And to choose within party lists, which is what party activists hate.

But the thing that was decisive for me was living in places like Cambridge and Lewisham. It's not right that Conservative minded voters in places like that can only influence the results of elections by choosing between a defiant but pointless vote for what they want (but will come third) or choosing the lesser of two evils. Same goes for Labour voters bin other parts of the country. It's also pretty silly that where your voters live matters more for the outcome than how numerous they are.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

Agreed. Although you would have to give some thought to flexibility. For example, based on county borders Rutland and Herefordshire would have about 1 MP each, while London andLancashire (if you took its historic borders) would have about 75.

The larger counties could be sub divided.

As for the smaller ones maybe they would merge into natural groups. Hereford with Worcester for example.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Deleted - Carlotta posted a link to it a few posts up thread.
  • Options

The thing is - Tory MPs seem happy enough to back a known liar into the next election. And somehow expect the public to believe what they have to say. You can see the next election narrative forming already - every Johnson claim rebuffed with “well, you’re just a liar..”

The fact we still have buffoons like Dorris, Rees-Mog and Patel in government sort of sums up where the party is nowadays.

Also funny how the ones who most loudly back the liar claim to be people of high moral standing...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    edited April 2022
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

First to Still and (on another post) Bart - I favour PR although I know it hurts my party. I'd rather win fairly, or deal with the division of opinion as it exists in the population.

Second to Taz - d'Hondt is the international standard, because it does produce pretty exactly a reflection of public opinion, which STV doesn't (STV is still better for larger parties, and it introduces a bias to "transfer-friendly" parties). Yes, it can produce no overall majority, but if there isn't a national consensus in favour of party X, then X shouldn't have a huge majority as delivered bvy FPTP. Scotland shows it's possible to win a majority anyway. One can make it a bit more likely with a threshold (5% in Germany, 4% in Sweden, 2% in Denmark), which avoids clogging up Parliament with individual eccentrics as tends to happen in Israel.

The case for d'Hondt has been strengthened by the increasingly erratic mood of parts of the electorate. If Trump, Le Pen, and Corbyn can all get close to majorities, it shows that the temptation to give radical change a spin is increasing. As a leftie I'm not necessarily against that if it produces a PM like Corbyn, but I recognise that it's not viable if it's happened because of quirks of constituency boundaries, and radical change needs either to have close to an actual majority or it needs to be tempered by coalition with less radical parties.
  • Options
    Moving video:

The Biden advice on grief here is so good. This is lovely, whatever your politics.

https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1515610698893639680
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Been SNP policy to have PR at Westminster for a very long time, and still is. Even though it would not help their seat count.
    For me, I think FPTP at Westminster has resulted in one party becoming dominant in Scotland. That has happened in the past, of course, but the current party is regionalist and so has no real hope of forming a Government. The dominance of this party, under FPTP, means that there are few opportunities for Scottish politicians in Scottish seats to take part in national politics. I think that this has, or will, result in increased political isolation between the Scottish electorate and the Westminster Parliament. Roughly half of Scottish people are not represented in Parliament.

I think a pure PR across the four nations at Westminster could be a bit of a trap. My feeling is that the loss of seats, in line with population, will increase the political alienation of Scotland from Westminster. Though I suppose it could increase the plurality of Scottish parties at Westminster, which might give Scottish politicians more involvement in national politics. However, the loss of representation could easily be spun the SNP as a further sidelining of Scotland. I think PR would have to be weighted somehow.

Once you weight it, however, the P in PR is doing a lot of work. The answer? A tricameral legislature, where the delegates are elected by PR by Nation to the third house, voting as national delegations. The third house would be a blocking chamber, requiring majorities in 3/4 delegations to block legislation. This would allow for an alternative expression of national will in Parliament and increase representation of the devolved nations. My belief is that this system would balance democracy with the interests of the devolved nations and help keep the United Kingdom together.
  • Options

Blair should have introduced it. He probably didn't because he thought it would disadvantage Labour, so one of his smaller failures.

It's hard to say who it would advantage most now, probably the LDs but that could change. No matter. If it's a better system, it should be introduced regardless.

FPTP is a dinosaur.
    I think outright stating PR is better is not quite right. FPTP produces coalitions within parties, as we see with labour and conservative. PR is thought to produce coalitions after the vote. Now in some ways that means better representation of wider views, but the danger is what happens to manifestos. Parties stand on a set of policies, votes come in and no one party wins. Now the negotiation starts. And you know who has no say at this point? The voter.
    There are no guarantees that your favourite parts of the manifesto of the party you voted for gets through.
    Of course, manifestos are often not worth the paper they are written on.
    Now Scotland is an exception, as a single issue party has captured the vote. But I think that is indivdual circumstances there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,468

Andy_JS said:

It’s not just a phase.
    By Jonathan Haidt"

Thanks very much for posting that. Very interesting, thought provoking and slightly bleak. We should all read it.
    This is Andrew Sullivan talking to Jonathan Haidt, talking about the article.

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/jonathan-haidt-on-social-medias-havoc
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited April 2022

I’ve said before that I think Johnson believes it when he says he didn’t lie. They convinced themselves that all the things they did were within the rules for working during the lockdowns.
    Now everyone else can believe that’s bollocks, but I think it is germane to the charge of lying to the house. No PM should have to resign over. FPN. Other mps have had them, for instance, and they are trivial. The weapon people are wielding is the lying to parliament. But Johnson, in his eyes, didn’t lie, they just got it wrong.
    Ultimately it will make little difference. I suspect the 80% of the public who scrupulously followed the rules will be waiting for the election, daggers raised.

Looking on from afar, most of my social group can’t understand this story at all.

The only fine the PM has been given so far, was for turning up to a work meeting on his birthday, where everyone present was meeting anyway, then his wife and a colleague turned up with a cake those present sang happy birthday to him. No cake was eaten, and only the PM’s wife was not going to be there anyway.

The alleged lying to Parliament, is based on whether the above event is described as ‘a party’ or not, when asked more than a year later if there were ‘any more parties’.

On the basis of this, numerous people are calling for the PM to resign.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

And the LDs. Give the LDs some credit for the perverted d'Hondt system at Holyrood.
    I quite like the D'Hondt system. It makes perfect sense and works out well in practice.

The downside is that it is difficult to explain to anyone so has virtually zero chance of being implemented.

I'm not sure what the best system would be for us, or what would be acceptable, but just about anything would be preferable to FPTP which is long past its sell-by date.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

FPTP is a dinosaur.
    I think outright stating PR is better is not quite right. FPTP produces coalitions within parties, as we see with labour and conservative. PR is thought to produce coalitions after the vote. Now in some ways that means better representation of wider views, but the danger is what happens to manifestos. Parties stand on a set of policies, votes come in and no one party wins. Now the negotiation starts. And you know who has no say at this point? The voter.
    There are no guarantees that your favourite parts of the manifesto of the party you voted for gets through.
    Now Scotland is an exception, as a single issue party has captured the vote. But I think that is indivdual circumstances there.
    Yes as they only have English parties as competition. Given there is only ONE Scottish party then it makes sense why they get lots of votes rather than English parties.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Looking on from afar, most of my social group can’t understand this story at all.

The only fine the PM has been given so far, was for turning up to a work meeting on his birthday, where everyone present was meeting anyway, then his wife and a colleague turned up with a cake those present sang happy birthday to him. No cake was eaten, and only the PM’s wife was not going to be there anyway.

The alleged lying to Parliament, is based on whether the above event is described as ‘a party’ or not, when asked more than a year later if there were ‘any more parties’.

If only that were all there was to it, Sandy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    malcolmg said:

FPTP is a dinosaur.
    Yes as they only have English parties as competition. Given there is only ONE Scottish party then it makes sense why they get lots of votes rather than English parties.
    The SNP only got 1.4% more in Scotland than the Conservatives did UK wide in 2019
  • Options

FPTP is a dinosaur.
    Thanks for that more nuanced view, Tubbs.

I agree, broadly, but still think FPTP has so many serious downsides that almost any kind of replacement would be an improvement.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2022
    I detect a touch of hysteria in the air this morning. Yes, BoJo is a lazy, fat, good-for-nothing, with a disdain for the truth, but what really annoys some posters is that he's lucky. 'It's not fair' is what they're really saying. He has no principles we can pin him down to, because he's looking after number one all the time.

He's the exact opposite of a political activist, and that's his only saving grace. At least, he won't be exhorting others to glue their heads to pipelines in an effort to blackmail normal people. And when did the electorate gain this sense of self-importance?

Seriously, I would quite like a politician who admits he doesn't know everything. We're on a journey of exploration in a changing world, and we need to be free to change our minds. Unfortunately, we end up with a Boris, or a fool who thinks he knows all the answers.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Sandpit said:

The law was not against parties but non essential work gatherings. Whether anyone believed or believes it to be a party is irrelevant to the law, or whether the PM was lying when he said he followed the rules.

The questions are was it a gathering (yes) and was it essential work (no). On this particular party there is a grey area because they were already gathered. I think this one could have been let go on that basis.

But the leaving drinks ones, and the email to make the most of the lovely weather with drinks are definitely clear breaches of the rules, regardless of whether one thinks of them as parties or not.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Sandpit said:

If only that were all there was to it, Sandy.
    Peter, the cult members will never admit it happened, even though you having one person in your house would have meant a fine, the cult members think 30 or more bringing in suitcases of bevy and whooping it up is really just work activity
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Though Partygate seems to be getting the attention the real long term damage to the Conservative Party could come from the Rwanda Experiment. For some voters a louche Prime Minister comes way down their list of concerns. The Rwanda episode is of a diferent order. This has legs and has the capacity to change the perception of the Party itself
  • Options
  • Options

An exclusive poll for The Times suggests that Johnson may have more difficulty winning over the public. The survey, conducted by J L Partners, co-founded by James Johnson, Theresa May’s former pollster, asked almost 2,000 people to give their view of the prime minister in a few words.

Comments from 72 per cent of respondents were negative, more than four times the proportion of positive responses (16 per cent). The most common word used was “liar”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/defiant-boris-johnson-insists-he-didnt-break-covid-rules-8k5m6d73r

Excellent. We very rarely see qualitative research findings in the public domain. Very useful.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPTP is a dinosaur.
    I thought there were TWO Scottish parties?

Or do you mean only ONE that gets meaningful numbers of votes?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

But British law doesn't work like like that.

"I didn't think she meant it when she said "no". It was a genuine error so I carried on regardless". Case dismissed, or a ten year custodial sentence?
  • Options

Taz said:

Foxy said:

First to Still and (on another post) Bart - I favour PR although I know it hurts my party. I'd rather win fairly, or deal with the division of opinion as it exists in the population.

Second to Taz - d'Hondt is the international standard, because it does produce pretty exactly a reflection of public opinion
    Nick, I have considerable respect for your views, but please look at the Welsh election results since 1999 which demonstrates nothing of the kind. They are barely more reflective of public opinion than FPTP.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The use of the word parties is toxic, yet from what has been reported so farthese were pathetic gatherings of work collegues at work.
    There is a lot of anger about a lot of things, and it’s being focussed on the wrong thing.
    Right now the nhs needs help. At a minimum I’d like to see hepa filter units in every ward of the nhs. I’d like a nightingale style plan for how to empty the hospitals of those who are ready for discharge but have nowhere to go without social care. I’d like substantial bonuses paid to nhs staff who are still working incredibly hard.
    I think the government needs to show how it will deal with the CoL crisis if prices don’t come down for power.
    I don’t give a fig for partygate. I know many of you see scrupulous in your observance of the rules. I tried my best but I was not perfect. A coffee at a colleagues house when dropping stuff off. My parents bubble including everyone from the family.
    I think people want Johnson gone and they see this as the way to do it.
This discussion has been closed.