Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak still favourite for next CON leader but only a 20% chance – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Talking of Sri Lanka and Driverless Cars, AS I WAS, I am reminded of a dinner I had in Colombo where one of the guests was a super-smart tech-bro from Silicon Valley. Very well connected, sort of a 20-something Elon Musk

I asked him about driverless cars and he was insistent they were coming very soon, and driverless flying taxis possibly even quicker. No doubts at all

The change is going to be momentous - from petrol driven cars to driverless electric vehicles - and we are about to witness it. All that pollution gone. All the noise. The hassle of driving and parking (for many). It will be like the move from horses to the combustion engine at the end of the 19th century

A feeble appeal to semi-authority. ;)

I occasionally talk to an AI expert or two who have a (ahem) rather different view about the situation. Remember, the companies you are talking about like hype. They will over-inflate their capabilities, as that means they will get more funding. You read hype, and it excites you, and you believe the hype is real.

Whereas I am much more bearish.

Where I do agree with you is how transformative general autonomous driving will be for society. Although the effects of the change may be quite hard to predict.
    I'm not even sure we disagree that much, Your literally certifiable idiot in Sweden from the University for Porridge Smeared Fuckwits says they will be here in 15 years, I think they will be here in 10 years- as in, a common sight on our streets, not worthy of notice

So maybe it will be 12 years. Hopefully almost everyone on this site will see our streets transformed, greatly, for the better: quieter, safer, cleaner.

I also agree it is hard to predict how this huge transformation will change society

eg A big question is will we own our own autonomous EVs, or will there be zillions parked underground and you just order one up for the ride? People are greatly attached to their cars, that emotion might be hard to shift. Yet the urban benefits of getting rid of nearly all garages and parking spaces will be huge

Difficult to call
    I love the way you call someone who agrees with your view "a super-smart tech-bro from Silicon Valley.", whilst someone who disagrees with your view but actually has expertise in the area is a "literally certifiable idiot in Sweden from the University for Porridge Smeared Fuckwits"
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423

This thread has just been given an FPN!

For what? No rules were broken!
This discussion has been closed.