Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Polling boost for Sunak ahead of his Spring Statement – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    ping said:

Income tax cut by 1p…. By 2024

Just in time for the election...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    ping said:

Income tax cut by 1p…. By 2024

more cuts to public services coming then.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

1% drop in income tax in 2024

Odd that they want to try and get the political benefit from the announcement so early. Perhaps the plan is to call an election before April 2024 and campaign on the basis that Labour would cancel the tax cut?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    GE May 2024 would be one week after IT cut hits pay packets.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    edited March 2022
    No emergency budget for defence?
    Nothing on benefits????

Really not sure about his priorities tbh.

And Rachel Reeves picks up on the lack of additional defence spending. She is right.
  • That inflation figure means interest rates are going up a lot, am I right?

How high do we expect interest rates to go?

High interest rates and inflation usually are destroyers of governments and chancellors?

The market implied rate now peaks at 2%.

https://www.room151.co.uk/treasury/bank-of-england-battles-inflation-with-latest-interest-rate-rise/
    Cheers.
  • In a week this announcement will have fallen apart.
    John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    2m
    Sunak is stealing his own effing Budget for 2024, promising in advance to cut income tax basic rate from 20p to 19p
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783

2024 wtf thats not going to cut it
    Leaving himself room to do something more ahead of the next election (whenever that is).
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Leon said:

Has anyone got any good ideas as to where to hide money, from the ravening Grendel of inflation?

Gold, wine, crypto, cheap property in Moldova?

Rust free 993 911. Manual, no sunroof, not red. One way bet.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    tlg86 said:

Anything for anyone under 30 trying to get on the housing ladder?

Nope, no surprises there then.

Tell it to the Bank of England. Interest rates are their domain thanks to Gordon.
    You know Robespierre was not on the committee for public security? He did appoint everyone to it, and they had a chat with him regularly, but he didn’t make the decisions, BoE today, and reign of terrors committee for public security were all as independent as the BBC is today.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    This looks like a give on one hand, take the fuck away with the other.

Grim prospect for UK taxpayers. Financial repression is the right phrase here.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    IanB2 said:

Odd that they want to try and get the political benefit from the announcement so early. Perhaps the plan is to call an election before April 2024 and campaign on the basis that Labour would cancel the tax cut?
    “We had planned a cut to 19% but thanks to our stewardship of the economy I can reveal that this year it will fall to X% [just in time for the election]”.
    Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    1m
    Replying to
    @TorstenBell
    2024 1p cut to basic rate of income tax. Totally bonkers to be raising National Insurance (on earners) while cutting Income Tax (includes those with other income sources).
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    edited March 2022
    1p by 2024?
    By 2024 I am determined to be shacked up with Kylie.
    That is my firm priority. And I commend this statement to the house.
  • Fuck the young!

Student loans? Nope

Housing? Nope

Transport? Nope
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 756
    IanB2 said:

First step toward merging NI and IT?

Is that possible? IT is technically devolved.
    MikeL said:

GE May 2024 would be one week after IT cut hits pay packets.

So in that scenario there was no need to announce it now and have it priced in.
  • NI up, Income Tax down.

So once again the share of taxes get ever more burdened upon working people, while those not working get the benefit.

Disgusting. Not what a Conservative government should be doing, not what I believe in and not what I voted for.

Shame on Sunak. 👎
  • Oh for goodness sake.

What is the possible justification for cutting income tax rate while raising NI rate?

Drives further wedge between taxation of unearned income and earned income. Yet again benefits pensioners and those living off rents at expense of workers

And so the collapse begins
    DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

Benefit claimants, go f*ck yourselves - seems to be the message.
  • So pensioners get to keep even more of their income whilst hard working people get taxed more on NI.

Is that right?
  • NI up, Income Tax down.

So once again the share of taxes get ever more burdened upon working people, while those not working get the benefit.

Disgusting. Not what a Conservative government should be doing, not what I believe in and not what I voted for.

Shame on Sunak. 👎

If you're young this is literally a big fuck you.

I don't drive, my energy bills are doubling and my savings are dropping.

What am I supposed to do?
  • dixiedean said:

1p by 2024?
    By 2024 I am determined to be shacked up with Kylie.
    That is my firm priority. And I commend this statement to the house.

Shack up with Danni, she's much more fun.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371

Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    1m
    Replying to
    @TorstenBell
    2024 1p cut to basic rate of income tax. Totally bonkers to be raising National Insurance (on earners) while cutting Income Tax (includes those with other income sources).

Also don't forget NI is tax on jobs / employers.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

In a week this announcement will have fallen apart.

I firmly expect it to have done so by nightfall.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708

New NI threshold will cost £6b says Resolution think tank.

That's 1/2 of the £12b gone for NHS.

Good.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    Rishi Sunak is a paint-by-numbers Chancellor. So obvious there would be a pre-election income tax cut as soon as he announced the NI increase for the NHS.
    I think the next step over next couple of years will be to push up IT/NIC threshold.

So pensioners get to keep even more of their income whilst hard working people get taxed more on NI.

Is that right?

Let’s not forget that most pensioners will he protected by the lock which remains in some form.

Fiscal drag is gonna destroy Middle English workers.
    Leon said:

Every taxpayer in England and Wales to get a tiny porcelain donkey? With detachable ears?

What’s the point of that?

I'm still waiting for my owl.
  • DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

And Rachel Reeves picks up on the lack of additional defence spending. She is right.

I pointed out that Sunak delivered a budget in March 2020 which seemed oblivious to Covid-19.

5 days later Boris Johnson told us all to stay at home.
  • If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't, this announcement did very little to help.

We really need to start voting, for goodness sake.
  • DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

I pointed out that Sunak delivered a budget in March 2020 which seemed oblivious to Covid-19.

He's a poor Chancellor, I just do not get the appeal.
  • Rachel says SNP joins conservatives against windfall tax
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022

So pensioners get to keep even more of their income whilst hard working people get taxed more on NI.

Is that right?

The only defensible way to do this is to extend who is caught by NI in the Autumn Budget then, as above move to a merger. Though I’ve always assumed an actual NI/IT merger would never happen because people would see the real tax rates written down, and see how regressive NI is in action.
  • So pensioners get to keep even more of their income whilst hard working people get taxed more on NI.

Is that right?

Let’s not forget that most pensioners will he protected by the lock which remains in some form.

Fiscal drag is gonna destroy Middle English workers.
    My father absolutely loathes the parasite pensioners, and he's a pensioner.

I'm so grateful my parents got me on the housing ladder at the age of 21 back in 2000.
    Let’s look at Mr and Mrs Striver of Middletown.

Interest rates UP
    Energy UP
    National Insurance UP
    Wages…will they keep pace with inflation?
    Even if they do, fiscal drag UP.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    edited March 2022
    Has this been covered yet? (Putin ordering that European gas purchases be paid for in rubles)

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1506617939629334541

It strikes me that this is a perfect own goal, but would like to hear from others who understand both the industry and the economics better than I.

Also, it seems, with Shoigu's absence from the public eye, that a major purge is going on in the Kremlin to root out the intelligence leaks and to punish those failing to achieve the impossible in Ukraine.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    Out of touch package

The cost of living crisis is now not by 2024

Not a penny extra on benefits

Not a penny extra for retired

A tax rise for everyone via frozen thresholds

Will pay a massive political price of leaving people significantly worse off whilst fucking about with VAT on building materials

• https://twitter.com/montie/status/1506620933079023616

A massive mistake by Rishi Sunak. He’s done nothing to avert misery for millions of unwaged and little for the low-waged.

Well said.
  • Out of touch package

Will pay a massive political price of leaving people significantly worse off whilst fucking about with VAT on building materials

Thought you were voting Tory now?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    If the NIC floor is going up by £3,000, doesn't that mean earners between the current threshold and approximately the higher rate tax threshold will benefit net?

Leon said:

Every taxpayer in England and Wales to get a tiny porcelain donkey? With detachable ears?

There was a superb owl on TV just last month.
  • DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

People like people who give them lots of money which Rishi did during the pandemic.

If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't IN LONDON , this announcement did very little to help.

Fixed for you.
    edited March 2022

That inflation figure means interest rates are going up a lot, am I right?

High interest rates and inflation usually are destroyers of governments and chancellors?

Gotta reach 2% soon surely
    No you are both wrong wrong. A post covid reboot spike and quick fall does not require interest rate hikes, only stubborn inflation rate not dropping from 3.4 putting pressure on for wage rises will need an increase. It’s not the high inflation peak number, it’s the level it levels off at after the quick drop.
  • If the NIC floor is going up by £3,000, doesn't that mean earners between the current threshold and approximately the higher rate tax threshold will benefit net?

Hurrah, Rishi is awesome.

No you are both wrong wrong. A post covid reboot spike and quick fall does not require interest rate hikes, only stubborn inflation rate not following from 3.4 putting pressure on for wage rises will need an increase. It’s not the high inflation peak number, it’s the level it levels off at after the quick drop.
    The markets expect 2%, as I posted down thread.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    You can be sure that if the Tories are re-elected in 2024 they will do this again. The NHS levy will go up and income tax will be cut.

NI up, Income Tax down.

Shame on Sunak. 👎

If you're young this is literally a big fuck you.

I don't drive, my energy bills are doubling and my savings are dropping.

What am I supposed to do?
    Join @dixiedean shacked up with Kylie ?

Otherwise, vote to kick this lot out at the first opportunity.
  • If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't IN LONDON , this announcement did very little to help.

Fixed for you.
    Wrong.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102466/number-of-young-adults-with-driving-licences-falls-by-40-per-cent

Out of touch package

Thought you were voting Tory now?
    No i have ruled SKS out so not voting for that Tory.
    edited March 2022

DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

People like people who give them lots of money which Rishi did during the pandemic.
    It is also a game of comparison....Boris vs Sunak...one doesn't appear to even know what day it is most of the time or able to dress himself properly.

DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

He's not Boris. That's about it.
  • IanB2 said:

First step toward merging NI and IT?

If he did that it would be a very good idea.

He's doing the polar opposite though, raising one while cutting the other. At this rate they'll be "merged" by IT being abolished and only NI existing eventually.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

Is that right?

I am rightfully concluding the Conservative party just isn’t for me.

Bonkers
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2022
    Rishi "if you're under 70 you don't exist" Sunak.

Sunak is Sunk.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,692

Property would be ok in hyperinflation too...but problem is property is illiquid if you need ready cash

For the first time I am starting to seriously look at gold.

Peter Thiel bought $50m of it via Palantir last year, at the time I thought it was a bad bet but now I'm thinking he got in early.

If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't IN LONDON , this announcement did very little to help.

Fixed for you.
    Wrong.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102466/number-of-young-adults-with-driving-licences-falls-by-40-per-cent
    "Licence rates for those aged between 20 and 29 dropped from 75 to 63 per cent over the same period."

So most people do. And that's the truth, outside cities, car driving is a major factor. Of those 37% who don't drive, many will live in a household with someone who does.
    3.4% growth is hardly weak. Indeed, given the uncertainties it seems remarkably high to me.

No you are both wrong wrong. A post covid reboot spike and quick fall does not require interest rate hikes, only stubborn inflation rate not following from 3.4 putting pressure on for wage rises will need an increase. It’s not the high inflation peak number, it’s the level it levels off at after the quick drop.
    The markets expect 2%, as I posted down thread.
    Don’t mean it will happen. Probably means it don’t go higher. As I just explained, for it to hit 2% or go higher depends on what inflation levels out at. You sure the markets know? 🙂
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127
    Inflation is going to really hammer frozen public sector salaries (whilst public sector pensioners do very well).

When I started civil service grad scheme my salary was £27k. 10+ years later they offer the same.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    2m
    Sunak is stealing his own effing Budget for 2024, promising in advance to cut income tax basic rate from 20p to 19p

Just hobbling whoever his Chancellor will be by then.....
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341

Leon said:

Has anyone got any good ideas as to where to hide money, from the ravening Grendel of inflation?

Gold, wine, crypto, cheap property in Moldova?

Shares did very well in Zimbabwe and venezuela hyperinflation. Problem is society was destroyed and you would likely need a gun to go to the supermarket....but your wealth would have been preserved
    I think pretty much any hard asset with limited supply and fairly inelastic demand would do over the medium-term. Property, gold, shares in non-frothy goods/service providers would be my suggestion.
  • If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't, this announcement did very little to help.

What are you talking about? Most young people drive.

Its the primary means of having your own transport for the overwhelming majority of the country, young and old.

If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't, this announcement did very little to help.

Or emigrating?
    When I look around at my mates, the ones with no money worries have wealthy parents or went abroad to work and save some cash.
  • Labour’s Rachel Reeves says landlords with big property portfolios “won’t pay a penny more but their tenants will”.

Exactly, I am paying my landlord's mortgage off.

They live in New Zealand.
  • “He’s Ted Health with an instagram account” @RachelReevesMP's best line on @RishiSunak

DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

The media coverage and the papers are going to love this budget.

It also seems constructed soundly enough not to fall apart or have any mistakes in it.

Simple. Clear. Effective.
    edited March 2022

Fixed for you.
    Wrong.

Out of date data. Most recent data.

2020 - Percentage of 21-29 holding a drivers licence - 72%

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1016874/nts0201.ods

Highest it been for 20 years.
    She really doesn't do sarcasm well, does she?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    rkrkrk said:

Inflation is going to really hammer frozen public sector salaries (whilst public sector pensioners do very well).

When I started civil service grad scheme my salary was £27k. 10+ years later they offer the same.

How long ago did you start ?
    edited March 2022
    Delivered better, "Ted Heath with an Instagram account" would have been a good line.

"Funding crime, not fighting it" was done better.
  • DavidL said:

Labour would be much better than Boris
    rkrkrk said:

Labour’s Rachel Reeves says landlords with big property portfolios “won’t pay a penny more but their tenants will”.

Exactly, I am paying my landlord's mortgage off.

They live in New Zealand.

Why are you renting?
    DavidL said:

Her nasal monotone does not help.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

If the NIC floor is going up by £3,000, doesn't that mean earners between the current threshold and approximately the higher rate tax threshold will benefit net?

It should be fairly easy to graph this

What as the previous threshold, what's the new threshold - for both NI and IT.
    What's the NI rate increase ?
  • Taz said:

DavidL said:

Rishi response will be interesting
    Reeves pathetic Alice in Sunak land is like a bad joke Labour offers fook all
    I await the full analysis, but I’m kind of meh about this.

I agree that it’s awful that NI increases while IT goes down, but we’ve known for a long time now that the Tories want to reward rentiers rather than wealth creators.

To be honest this just looks like a move the deckchairs around “budget”. The underlying message is tighten your belts and get used to a tough situation for a few more years.

Since the UK has basically been in some form of austerity since the global financial crisis, it’s not a great message…
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    The biggest determinant of voting Tory was "Do you drive a car" iirc.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    DavidL said:

Nothing on benefits????

I'm not actually sure we need additional defence spending. The problem has been a number of European countries free-riding on the USA. The disparity between Nato/Russia is enormous. The fundamental problem is Russia's nuclear weapons. We should be tightening the noose on sanctions. It seems clear now that Russia will be weakened economically and militarily as a result of this war.

The problem is pensions. I was not aware that MoD pensions come out of their own budget. Far better to have a separate financing for all public sector pensions. If pension costs are going up then real defence spending will go down in spite of the 2% target.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140

If you're young and don't drive as most of us don't, this announcement did very little to help.

Do most young people not drive cars in the UK? That's a big change since I moved to Spain. Uk roads must be very safe ... and quiet.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

Listening on the radio, she is Ed Miliband.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Labour would be much better than Boris
    How ?

What would they do better ?.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Is the GBP83bn debt interest figure a bit naughty? does it include interest paid on the BoE holdings which (as I understand it) is remitted back to the exchequer?
    felix said:

Do most young people not drive cars in the UK? That's a big change since I moved to Spain. Uk roads must be very safe ... and quiet.
    They can’t afford to anymore.
    Pulpstar said:

It should be fairly easy to graph this

What as the previous threshold, what's the new threshold - for both NI and IT.
    What's the NI rate increase ?
    Increase is for 1.25 percentage points from 12% to 13.25%. Current floor is £9,568, to rise to £12,570.

I think I was slightly optimistic, but not much.

Rishi "if you're under 70 you don't exist" Sunak.

Sunak is Sunk.

Whats he done for over 70s?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

Is that right?

Which way do pensioners vote? Which way do workers vote? Of course it is right. For a party solely obsessed with winning elections it is completely sensible to rewards those who vote in higher numbers and the right way.
    Taz said:

rkrkrk said:

11 years but have left now. Just seems weird to me that it's exactly the same!

Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    1m
    Replying to
    @TorstenBell

You have voters who gave you 80 seat majority and you are looking after them. What’s bonkers about that.

Leon said:

T'wit.
    felix said:

As you can probably guess, no its not true at all.
    NI changes (ie threshold up, rate up) - only worse off if earn over £35k.
  • Strong response from Rishi
    I suppose it is too much to hope that the equalisation of allowances for NICs is a step towards the combination of IT and NI? That would spread the load more fairly.
  • Rishi "if you're under 70 you don't exist" Sunak.

Sunak is Sunk.

Whats he done for over 70s?
    Cutting their Income Tax by 1% while raising NI for working people by 2.5%

So pensioners are 1% better off, those who are working are 1.5% worse off.
This discussion has been closed.