Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Polling boost for Sunak ahead of his Spring Statement – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited March 2022 in General
Polling boost for Sunak ahead of his Spring Statement – politicalbetting.com

Ahead of today's #SpringStatement 44% of the public tell @IpsosUK they are satisfied with the job Rishi Sunak is doing as Chancellor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022
    Just like I said with Boris, you can only defy gravity for so long.

Petrol prices in particular are about killer for governments, let alone with wider very high inflation that isn't going away and government only have very limited power to really do much about it.

People don't notice sneaky fiscal drag on their tax thresholds, but they absolutely don't miss petrol going up massively or their food shop being far more expensive.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Just like I said with Boris, you can only defy gravity for so long.

Petrol prices in particular are about killer for governments, let alone with wider very high inflation that isn't going away and government only have very limited power to really do much about it.

People don't notice sneaky fiscal drag on their tax thresholds, but they absolutely don't miss petrol going up massively or their food shop being far more expensive.

But they will notice the cut in petrol tax today.

They won’t notice how the money treasure lost will be made up in sneaky ways, but they will notice “petrol tax slashed” on front of tomorrows papers, that’s how it works.

Also why should it be killer for a government when every voter knows it’s not fault of their government, it’s all Putins fault.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    But for the most part, the public aren't blaming the Government for the rises in fuel and power. These are whipped up by world events. There is nothing that Labour would do differently, so the sting is drawn.
    edited March 2022
    Dishy Rishi appears to have decided to become PM......he is certainly a significant upgrade on current incumbent when it comes to clear delivery.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited March 2022
    It’s all Putins fault, is his framing.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

Dishy Rishi appears to have decided to become PM......

Great clarity about the context of his decisions and the consequences of those decisions.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Confident speaker

Dishy Rishi appears to have decided to become PM......he is certainly a significant upgrade on current incumbent when it comes to clear delivery.

Biding his time, biding his time.

Those who think he has lost the chance to be PM have got it wrong.
    7.4%? Jeez.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    I see Sunak calling it "a war" at every opportunity. I wonder why.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    5p cut in fuel duty.
    Fuck

Inflation AVERAGING 7.4% this year.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    5p off fuel for 12 months, as widely trailed
    5p a litre. Well every little helps.
    IanB2 said:

5p off fuel for 12 months, as widely trailed

I bet it doesn’t go up.
    edited March 2022
    All those backbench Tory MPs must be absolute morons if they think having Boris rather than Dishy Rishi as leader at next GE is a good idea.

If Sunak's actual policies are good or not is a different matter, but he actually sounds like a component intelligent individual who is on top of their brief, which is a significant upgrade.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    I'm mildly surprised at Healey's satisfaction rates.
  • 5p off fuel duty is bonkers. When prices go back up the benefit gets wiped out.
  • This is a man on a mission
    Anecdata. I have Remainery lefty london friends who loathe Boris and the Tories yet who are surprisingly open to Sunak

He would likely not thrive in the Red Wall but he might fight off the Lib Dems and left further south
    Brexit benefit!

5p off fuel duty is bonkers. When prices go back up the benefit gets wiped out.

But its still 5p less than it would have been (and he gets in back in the VAT anyway).
    Meh.

Fuel probably gonna go up by 5p in the next week or so, anyway.

Nobody is gonna be grateful.
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

Fuck

Yep, he rather skipped over that one.
    edited March 2022
    Come Rishi, what about tackling scumbag travel sites who screw humble Flint Knappers trying to go about their business ;-)
    Has anyone got any good ideas as to where to hide money, from the ravening Grendel of inflation?

Gold, wine, crypto, cheap property in Moldova?
  • £83 billion on debt interest !!!!
  • DavidL said:

But its still 5p less than it would have been (and he gets in back in the VAT anyway).
    No I mean its bonkers politically. So 5p goes off a litre of unleaded - down to 160p. When it goes back up to 165p and beyond the political benefit evaporates. If instead of £2 a litre as forecast it only hits £1.95 will anyone say "thanks Rishi?"
    Leon said:

Has anyone got any good ideas as to where to hide money, from the ravening Grendel of inflation?

NFTs ;-)
  • Jesus, inflation almost wipes out the average stock market returns for the last several decades.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    We need to stop relying on foreign fossil fuels.
    So let's make it cheaper.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    DavidL said:

I've long advocated fixed taxes on petrol - rather than the x * 100% that exaggerates prices changes. The Treasury might not get windfalls, but it would get stable income instead. Though declining.....
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    24s
    Household Support Fund being doubled to £1bn is the main measure focused on lower income households (discretionary fund handed out by councils). That is a total disaster if it really is it for support for low and middle income households (ie no extra benefits uprating)
    dixiedean said:

I bet Labour don’t make that argument!

£83 billion on debt interest !!!!

How much of that is "paid" to the BoE though? I am not sure that is a real figure.
  • Leon said:

Anecdata. I have Remainery lefty london friends who loathe Boris and the Tories yet who are surprisingly open to Sunak

He would likely not thrive in the Red Wall but he might fight off the Lib Dems and left further south

Rishi can work in the Red Wall as the man delivering them their build back better cash.

He would need to produce actual cash as opposed to the same cash being repeatedly promised to multiple towns without ever appearing as now, but if he did...
  • "We should be prepared for the economy and the public finances to worsen, potentially significantly," Sunak says, highlighting rising cost of borrowing - the public debt this year.
    The clown looks gloomy, glowering there next to young Rishi
    DavidL said:

£83 billion on debt interest !!!!

How much of that is "paid" to the BoE though? I am not sure that is a real figure.
    It's because of inflation, but that inflation takes down out debt pile. So don't be misled.
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

NFTs ;-)
    Plutonium. You need to invest in about 6Kg.
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

No.
    But it is striking nonetheless.

"We should be prepared for the economy and the public finances to worsen, potentially significantly," Sunak says, highlighting rising cost of borrowing - the public debt this year.

That’s a bit of a surprise. Doesn’t sit at all with a giveaway budget and the stuff in media about unexpected windfalls.

Leon said:

NFTs ;-)
    Plutonium
    Well that is certainly less risky than NFTs....

Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    24s
    Household Support Fund being doubled to £1bn is the main measure focused on lower income households (discretionary fund handed out by councils). That is a total disaster if it really is it for support for low and middle income households (ie no extra benefits uprating)

Yep. The most vulnerable won't hear about it.
    Let alone tackle the 48 page form.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Leon said:

Rishi can work in the Red Wall as the man delivering them their build back better cash.

He would need to produce actual cash as opposed to the same cash being repeatedly promised to multiple towns without ever appearing as now, but if he did...
    Probably is - that thanks to Covid and now this war there isn't any money...
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Leon said:

Don't touch crypto. It's going to get sticky with regulators as they figure out how to stop it becoming a sanctions-busting tool.
    edited March 2022
    NIC threshold increased by £3k
  • Ni threshold up £3,000

That is big
    First step toward merging NI and IT?

Leon said:

NFTs ;-)
    Plutonium
    Well that is certainly less risky than NFTs....
    It's the hardest currency. The US dollar is not backed with gold, it's backed by a number of tons of plutonium. You have 6Kg, and *everyone* listens to your shit.
  • National insurance rise is REMAINING, Rishi Sunak says. Despite big Tory MP pressure.

Bye bye Rishi
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    ping said:

Fuck

I’d be very happy if it hit that. I expect it to be higher.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    dixiedean said:

But that will not be immediate. In the meantime, we need to try to keep the economy going.
    So we will make fossil fuels cheaper for a while, to help people, whilst also going full-on a green campaign.
    After all, we've already done a lot in the last twelve years, and we're accelerating the transition.
    £3000 threshold in NICs is much less regressive than a cut in IT. Its welcome but he must do something on benefits.
    NIC threshold == tax threshold
    Leon said:

I think the answer is to hide your money by spending it. High inflation means go out shopping like I have today 😀
  • National insurance rise is REMAINING, Rishi Sunak says. Despite big Tory MP pressure.

Bye bye Rishi

The increase in NI threshold is huge

National insurance rise is REMAINING, Rishi Sunak says. Despite big Tory MP pressure.

Bye bye Rishi

He’s cleverly found another way to give the money back

National insurance rise is REMAINING, Rishi Sunak says. Despite big Tory MP pressure.

Bye bye Rishi

Not so fast, he hasn't finished.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757

Wow thats a biggun
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

No.
    But it is striking nonetheless.
    Rachel Reeves pretty much ruled out labour support for further domestic fossil fuel extraction on Sunday
    edited March 2022

Next logical step is just to combine it all. We might get there in....2050.....
  • Anything for anyone under 30 trying to get on the housing ladder?

Nope, no surprises there then.
    New NI threshold will cost £6b says Resolution think tank.

That's 1/2 of the £12b gone for NHS.

I see Sunak calling it "a war" at every opportunity. I wonder why.

Because it is a war. The sanctions we have announced comes with everyone tighten belt to pay for it.

And “it’s all Putin’s fault” is political genius to say.
  • But this is only from July. So three months of NI hike.

Will be a tax cut worth £330 when it does come in

Not QUITE cancelled the NI hike... but nearly...

There is always a but with Rishi's announcements. Every. Time.
    IanB2 said:

Bye bye Rishi

He’s cleverly found another way to give the money back
    And direct it to the lower paid. Osborne's policy of piling the pressure on the broadest shoulders continues (after some rather pointless diversions under May).
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

Don't touch crypto. It's going to get sticky with regulators as they figure out how to stop it becoming a sanctions-busting tool.
    Plus, it needs so much of that gas and oil from Russia just to mine it....

I expect co-ordinated world government action against it within 2 years.
  • BUT income tax threshold frozen for 4 years. Assume same true for NI threshold to keep them aligned.

So benefit will dissipate somewhat over time and breakeven salary will gradually drop.

Anything for anyone under 30 trying to get on the housing ladder?

Tell it to the Bank of England. Interest rates are their domain thanks to Gordon.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    edited March 2022

Ni threshold up £3,000

That is big

Not quite.
    Nearly two thirds of the cost of that in the first year will be funded by the fiscal drag of leaving the £12,000 tax threshold where it is.
    The following year fiscal drag more than pays for it.
  • tlg86 said:

Tell it to the Bank of England. Interest rates are their domain thanks to Gordon.
    BoE are bloody useless.
  • 5p? Is that it?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590

Bye bye Rishi

Derrr I think not wait till the end

Helping people buy houses simply helps them get more expensive
    Everything this government does is BRILLIANT
    ping said:

Fuck

No the point. It was always due to speak worse than that post covid reboot - the actual point is it was supposed to drop quickly after spike, now one one, not even Rishy, knows if it lasts longer +3.4 for a long while causing problems.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    If inflation is 7% and stays above 5% for a year or two, the fiscal drag here is a MASSIVE tax increase.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    DavidL said:

The VAT thing is mostly an old red herring. If you don't spend money on higher petrol prices you probably spend it on something else, and that probably has VAT too.
  • IanB2 said:

Perhaps the Tories should try building some.
    It’s a remarkably muted house.
  • That inflation figure means interest rates are going up a lot, am I right?

How high do we expect interest rates to go?

High interest rates and inflation usually are destroyers of governments and chancellors?
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022

Next logical step is just to combine it all. We might get there in....2050.....
    Next step would be to levy NI on pensioners under cover of the triple lock.
    edited March 2022

No, since it's not hypothecated, and is recouped elsewhere.
    A four year tax threshold freeze more than pays for it.
  • Contrary to what Sunak said, there is already a VAT exemption on solar panels and heat pumps already happens in the EU, so this is not a benefit of Brexit.
  • That inflation figure means interest rates are going up a lot, am I right?

High interest rates and inflation usually are destroyers of governments and chancellors?

Gotta reach 2% soon surely
    Nigelb said:

No, since it's recouped elsewhere.
    A four year tax threshold freeze more than pays for it.
    The latter is already budgeted for, though, if not at 7.4% this year.

He’s not finished.

Ni threshold up £3,000

That is big

And the right thing to do.

But this is only from July. So three months of NI hike.

Will be a tax cut worth £330 when it does come in

Not QUITE cancelled the NI hike... but nearly...

There is always a but with Rishi's announcements. Every. Time.

1p tax cut still to come
  • 1% drop in income tax in 2024
    edited March 2022
    Income tax cut by 1p…. By 2024

That inflation figure means interest rates are going up a lot, am I right?

The market implied rate now peaks at 2%.

https://www.room151.co.uk/treasury/bank-of-england-battles-inflation-with-latest-interest-rate-rise/

IanB2 said:

Perhaps the Tories should try building some.
    They wanted to change the planning system to allow more housebuilding where houses were needed.

However NIMBYism and cynical politics stopped it.

Thank labour, the Lib Dems and boomers not wanting people to buy a new house by them.

1% drop in income tax in 2024

2024 wtf thats not going to cut it
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    IanB2 said:

Indeed. The things that will help people under 30 buy houses are higher interest rates, which will happen, and the end of the kind of gimmicks that Chancellors love to make, that actually increase asset prices for the already wealthy.
    Every taxpayer in England and Wales to get a tiny porcelain donkey? With detachable ears?

What’s the point of that?
    edited March 2022

1% drop in income tax in 2024

Not sure that is enough to be a GE winner.
    edited March 2022

If inflation is 7% and stays above 5% for a year or two, the fiscal drag here is a MASSIVE tax increase.

It's the point I made first thing this morning (when I noted Mike's bet on a Tory lead this month was not entirely daft).
    Inflation gives a chancellor a huge amount of room to push through flashy measures, even if the net effect is fiscally neutral.

Much depends of what inflation does over the next few years.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    ping said:

Income tax cut by 1p…. By 2024

That’s disappointing.
This discussion has been closed.