Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the betting the Johnson recovery continues – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited March 2022 in General
imageIn the betting the Johnson recovery continues – politicalbetting.com

My only worry about betting on a Johnson exit in 2024 or later is that he might just call a general election next year. This would make sense and fits with the pattern of previous PMs who did not have to operate within the confines of the Fixed Term Parliament Act. Getting rid of that legacy from the coalition is not far off and choosing the date would be entirely in Johnson’s own hands.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    “My only worry about betting on a Johnson exit in 2024 or later is that he might just call a general election next year.”

Checks date. No, not April 1st. Mike seems to be serious with this header. 🤔

Then how does Boris survive the fact he was groomed by Lebedev? the most serious lapse of Boris Johnson’s judgement yet - a hundred times worse than Partygate. Parked for now by Conservative MPs obviously, even Ross has withdrawn his letter “removing Boris now only benefits Putin” apparently, but once the Ukraine war is in a new phase, hard to see how Boris explains this away to MPs. In the meantime, the opposition parties are going to have a field day. They’ve been hollowing Boris out with party spoons, they’ve just been handed an ermine wrapped Davey Crockett.

“Are you aware your good friend had a campaign to infiltrate the establishment?”
    “How many visits to villa and castle in Italy? How much of free flights, accommodation and private cars? Is there any such thing as a free lunch?”
    “At the time of these free flights, visits to villa and castles, were you aware your friend suggested MI6 killed Alexander Litvinenko, played down invasion of Crimea, said Putin showed leadership in Syria and Russians thanked Putin for “unimaginable freedoms? Everyone else seemed aware.”
    “At what point did you decide to recommend your friend a peerage, and for what reasons?”
    “When you were told no, blocked on national security grounds, what did you do next?”

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

Glorious misty morning.

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1502641428295565313?s=21

Ben Hodges (formerly NATO general)

“ Clausewitz describes the "culminating point" as when an attacking force hits strong resistance, runs out of energy, and can no longer continue. Russia is running out of manpower, asking Syria to send troops. Sanctions are working. Russia may culminate in 10-14 days if we press.”
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    I suspect @ydoethur is right.
    Getting away with shit now normalises getting away more easily with shit in the future. As we saw with Trump. Stuff that shocked his party at the start of his administration was just normal behaviour to be defended by the end of it.

The ‘oh, but after the war’ tendency are to a greater or lesser extent fooling themselves.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

“ Clausewitz describes the "culminating point" as when an attacking force hits strong resistance, runs out of energy, and can no longer continue. Russia is running out of manpower, asking Syria to send troops. Sanctions are working. Russia may culminate in 10-14 days if we press.”

So what happens then ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    I do wonder if Ukraine could end up seeing off both the Chinese and Russian leaderships.

In the case of China, there would be no official announcement. It would simply be that the voice of the CCP would change after some internal shuffling, as the men in grey suits recognize that Xi lost the plot and backed the wrong horse.

With Russia, I think a heart attack might befall Putin.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited March 2022
    This a rare skewed thread by Mike.

I suggest t's not so much about 'early' or 'late' it's about '4 years' or '5 years'. The examples Mike cites are 4 year terms.

But if this Parliament runs its 'full' course it will STILL only be 4 years and 5 months. There is no 5 year option. If Johnson goes in 2023 the Parliament will only be 3 years and x months.

Furthermore, the conditions for an early General Election are all wrong. In 1983 and 1987 Maggie was up against weak opposition with victory assured. Blair likewise. There is simply NO comparison with the situation now.

Economically and fiscally the situation now is dire and the only comparison that has any merit is, as TSE mentioned in the previous thread, 1992 when John Major went for 5 years ... and WON.

In the light of the latter it's disappointing that Mike neglected to mention 1992.

And then there's the Theresa May early debacle which has scarred the Conservative Party. She, like Johnson, was a ditherer which made it all the more surprising that she took the plunge.

Oh and he no longer has Dominic Cummings who was the master strategist.

So, no, the chances of him going for a GE in 2023 are extremely slim.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

That is a 2-day old tweet. The current concern seems to be that Ukraine keeps resisting which may take more weapons (and soldiers?).
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    I do wonder if Ukraine could end up seeing off both the Chinese and Russian leaderships.

Fantasy Robert, I fear. Xi is going nowhere and Putin is gradually grinding out Ukraine whilst the west watches on, toothless.

If anyone loses their jobs as a result of this it'll be Biden and Boris.

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

But who knows what happens if we withdraw all help from Ukraine, and Russia rolls over them and gets a nice, compliant pro-Russian government in Kiev?

In my mind it's quite simple: it is right versus wrong, good versus evil. The evil is easy to identify: Putin and his cronies. They are the ones who have invaded another country; they are the ones who are killing innocent civilians. They are the ones threatening smaller democracies with invasion. They are the ones who are threatening the world with chemical weapons, or nuclear oblivion.

Those on the side of evil talk about how it is our fault, how we caused this mess, rather than concentrate their ire on the evil.

We have to be on the side of good. And that means supporting Ukraine.
    Which we are doing.
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

In the case of China, there would be no official announcement. It would simply be that the voice of the CCP would change after some internal shuffling, as the men in grey suits recognize that Xi lost the plot and backed the wrong horse.

A happy accident, no doubt.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

Fantasy Robert, I fear. Xi is going nowhere and Putin is gradually grinding out Ukraine whilst the west watches on, toothless.

Well, Biden and Boris will be out irrespective.

Russia is suffering 10x what the West is. Their industry is being hammered, and their young men are dying in Ukraine.

Now, it's possible that Putin hangs on by ever increasing the police state in Russia. But it's also possible that the Russian army can take no more.

Afghanistan took down the Soviet Union, and Russia may already have lost almost as many men in Ukraine (15,000 in Afghanistan).

I think democracies are a little bit like reeds, while authoritarian regimes are more like big trees.

When the wind blows, the big trees look a lot more secure, barely budging as the wind buffets them.

The next day, it is the reeds which are still standing.

• Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited March 2022
    For the first time in years I bought a Sunday Times to see just what it had on the Lebedev connection. It was damning. If there were not a war on Boris would be out pronto just on the evidence of that one edition.

He will certainly have to go before the next election. Never mind the text, some of the pictures were lethal. Labour and the LibDems would only have to keep reprinting them in leaflet after leaflet to torpedo the Tory campaign below the water line. The Tories simply cannot go into battle with him as leader. This is not the USA, and he is not Trump. The voters won't back him blind, whatever success he may have in the war or esewhere.

So if he's toast, when does he actually pop out of the toaster?

His MPs clearly think 'not now - the war you know.' They can maybe get away with that a bit but it's not a great look. Then there's the locals. 'Wait for them' is another excuse for inaction. What then? 'Takes a while to change a leader, and he was a winner'. Not sure that will suffice for very long.

Regrdless of the odds, I would say some time this year seems most likely by a long way, but he could get lucky with the war if that drags on. So maybe Mike is right, and at the odds 2023 looks decent enough value for the momnet.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

Russia is suffering 10x what the West is. Their industry is being hammered, and their young men are dying in Ukraine.

Now, it's possible that Putin hangs on by ever increasing the police state in Russia. But it's also possible that the Russian army can take no more.

Afghanistan took down the Soviet Union, and Russia may already have lost almost as many men in Ukraine (15,000 in Afghanistan).

I think democracies are a little bit like reeds, while authoritarian regimes are more like big trees.

When the wind blows, the big trees look a lot more secure, barely budging as the wind buffets them.

That's a great way of looking at it.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

H/T @Aesop
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

I fear that we tell ourselves things like this, and people hit the 'like' button, because it makes us feel better. Gives us a greater sense of righteousness and hope. In the face our impotence we run around patting ourselves on the back that we're doing alright really, that seizing a football club here or wearing a blue and yellow badge there is actually going to defeat Putin.

The reality is that Putin is pulverising Ukraine and slowly grinding out the country. I don't think he will care if the war drags on. He has already achieved part of his aim of crushing Ukraine and he has shown that NATO is powerless outside its own borders.

p.s. your comment about Boris is constitutionally incorrect unless you mean it in the sense that everyone dies. Unlike the US there is no constitutional reason why Johnson shouldn't be PM for 20 years.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

H/T @Aesop
    Gosh, and I thought Robert made that up himself.

The scoundrel!

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

H/T @Aesop
    I make no claims to originality.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

H/T @Aesop
    I make no claims to originality.
    Is that a reference to your fabled modesty?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

I fear that we tell ourselves things like this, and people hit the 'like' button, because it makes us feel better. Gives us a greater sense of righteousness and hope. In the face our impotence we run around patting ourselves on the back that we're doing alright really, that seizing a football club here or wearing a blue and yellow badge there is actually going to defeat Putin.
    I fear you post things like this because you're labouring under the delusion that anyone takes them seriously.
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

But who knows what happens if we withdraw all help from Ukraine, and Russia rolls over them and gets a nice, compliant pro-Russian government in Kiev?

In my mind it's quite simple: it is right versus wrong, good versus evil. The evil is easy to identify: Putin and his cronies. They are the ones who have invaded another country; they are the ones who are killing innocent civilians. They are the ones threatening smaller democracies with invasion. They are the ones who are threatening the world with chemical weapons, or nuclear oblivion.

Those on the side of evil talk about how it is our fault, how we caused this mess, rather than concentrate their ire on the evil.

Which we are doing.

The time to think about the causes of this is after the mess is over - and I think many of their arguments are bogus anyway, purposeful distractions away from evil.
    The final clause is the sort of thing we should avoid writing. I don't know people who are 'purposefully' distracting away from evil, at least not on here. I don't frequent other political or social media sites.

The reason why the causes are pertinent is that they are also so relevant to both the present and the future.

We were powerless to stop Putin because we are powerless to stop Putin and we will be powerless to stop Putin. We are so frit of him, of the nuclear threat, that we're not prepared to stand up and defend Ukraine with the only language Putin will pay attention to: military force.

Biden is a wet blanket. His ghastly withdrawal from Afghanistan, aided and abetted by Johnson, greenlit Putin's invasion of Ukraine and has shown Putin that NATO is not going to stand up and defend them.

And, yes, Putin and his invasion are utterly evil.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Punter, Conservative MPs have proven talented at gutless procrastination. I'll believe that's ended when it's ended.
    Chris said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

I fear you post things like this because you're labouring under the delusion that anyone takes them seriously.
    No I post things like this in the hope of a good debate with good people.

Thank you for disabusing me of my naivety.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    I guess the question in The Aesop analogy is whether we are dealing with wind or a Trumpian lawnmower.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

For the first time in years I bought a Sunday Times to see just what it had on the Lebedev connection. It was damning. If there were not a war on Boris would be out pronto just on the evidence of that one edition.

He will certainly have to go before the next election. Never mind the text, some of the pictures were lethal. Labour and the LibDems would only have to keep reprinting them in leaflet after leaflet to torpedo the Tory campaign below the water line. The Tories simply cannot go into battle with him as leader. This is not the USA, and he is not Trump. The voters won't back him blind, whatever success he may have in the war or esewhere.

His MPs clearly think 'not now - the war you know.' They can maybe get away with that a bit but it's not a great look. Then there's the locals. 'Wait for them' is another excuse for inaction. What then? 'Takes a while to change a leader, and he was a winner'. Not sure that will suffice for very long.

Regrdless of the odds, I would say some time this year seems most likely by a long way, but he could get lucky with the war if that drags on. So maybe Mike is right, and at the odds 2023 looks decent enough value for the momnet.

Weirdly the war probably increases the chances of him going if his own volition.

If the war ends relatively soon I can see in the “thank you” speeches that Boris will get a lot of praise from Ukraine for things we know the UK have done and maybe things we don’t know the UK have done.

If Boris can see a window where he’s “had a good war” but down the road he sees economic nightmare, partygate rearing its head again then surely he would be wise to walk out at that point where he is not doing so like a naughty schoolboy.

It would also restore his future earning power as he would have his side of the war to talk about rather than just about which suitcase is best for the optimum amount of booze depending on the numbers at your party…..
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

The reality is that Putin is pulverising Ukraine and slowly grinding out the country. I don't think he will care if the war drags on. He has already achieved part of his aim of crushing Ukraine and he has shown that NATO is powerless outside its own borders.

p.s. your comment about Boris is constitutionally incorrect unless you mean it in the sense that everyone dies. Unlike the US there is no constitutional reason why Johnson shouldn't be PM for 20 years.
    History suggests that the willingness of people to die for their homeland in about 100x greatest than their willingness to throw lives away for some concept like, oh I don't know, Greater Russia.

How does Putin win from here?

Russia's entire economy is dependent on the rest of the world buying his oil and gas. The Ukrainians will kill his soldiers whether he succeeds in occupying the whole of the country or not.

All Putin has succeeded in doing is accelerating the move to renewables in the developed world, proving Western weapons work better than Russian ones, and killing great numbers of his own people.

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

"The reality is that Putin is pulverising Ukraine and slowly grinding out the country. I don't think he will care if the war drags on."

That's one angle to it. There is another: that he is pulverising Russia as much as he is Ukraine, albeit in a different way. Thousands of young Russian men will not be coming back from the war. Thousands more will be maimed and injured. Tens of thousands of the brightest youngsters are fleeing Russia - all in a country with a significant demographic issue. The economy is going to be a smoking ruin. Its military is being shown up as a paper tiger, a literal laughing stock. And the Russian military is a great source of pride to the Russian people.

I can't see Putin taking over the entirety of Ukraine using conventional forces now; he may not even take Kiev or Odessa.

This war has been humiliating for Russia, and it will take the country decades to recover, both economically and in terms of reputation. Putin (and his crones) are not the people to do that - if they were, they would have chosen that harder path twenty years ago.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

The people that matter in this, Tory MPs, members and even voters don't seem to care.

Virtually none of the Tory posters on here who weren't already critics of the PM when he was first elected will engage with issues of standards, whether about lying, finances, cronyism or security risks.

The responses are a mix of "all politicians are thieving nasty liars regardless", "what about Corbyn", "other things are more important", or "if he helps bring a blue win then anything goes".

He is staying on until he loses an election or it is blatantly clear he will lose the next one.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    “Russian economy will collapse much sooner than Ukrainians will give up. (Because they will never give up.)” https://twitter.com/mcfaul/status/1503247676220985345
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

History suggests that the willingness of people to die for their homeland in about 100x greatest than their willingness to throw lives away for some concept like, oh I don't know, Greater Russia.

Russia's entire economy is dependent on the rest of the world buying his oil and gas. The Ukrainians will kill his soldiers whether he succeeds in occupying the whole of the country or not.

All Putin has succeeded in doing is accelerating the move to renewables in the developed world, proving Western weapons work better than Russian ones, and killing great numbers of his own people.

Putin wins from here by continuing the slow crushing of Ukraine, the pulverisation of the country town by town, brick by brick.

The numbers of deaths are awful but miniscule. c 5000 soldiers dead out of a population of 145,000,000. It's very grim but not going to give Putin a sleepless night.

On Russian economy I am no expert but I fear that trade links with India, China, Africa and the Middle East will mitigate against many of our sanctions.

I agree with you about accelerating the west's move to renewables, or at least I hope you're right. It would be a fantastic outcome of this awful war. If we can all start to go off grid with our homes, which we can, it would be amazing.

(Chris, that's how you debate not by being Ad hominem and rude. Don't demean this site.)
  • @rcs1000

'History suggests that the willingness of people to die for their homeland in about 100x greatest than their willingness to throw lives away for some concept like, oh I don't know, Greater Russia.'

That echoes my Dad's words perfectly. He didn't want to be there (North Africa in his case) and nor did his mates but they fought to the death because they had nowhere to go if they lost. He always repeated this manta whenever wars broke out around the world, and he was almost invariably right.

The people that matter in this, Tory MPs, members and even voters don't seem to care.

Virtually none of the Tory posters on here who weren't already critics of the PM when he was first elected will engage with issues of standards, whether about lying, finances, cronyism or security risks.

The responses are a mix of "all politicians are thieving nasty liars regardless", "what about Corbyn", "other things are more important", or "if he helps bring a blue win then anything goes".

He is staying on until he loses an election or it is blatantly clear he will lose the next one.
    Agreed. I think it will be up to the electorate to kick him out, and we must.
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

The time to think about the causes of this is after the mess is over - and I think many of their arguments are bogus anyway, purposeful distractions away from evil.
    The final clause is the sort of thing we should avoid writing. I don't know people who are 'purposefully' distracting away from evil, at least not on here. I don't frequent other political or social media sites.

The reason why the causes are pertinent is that they are also so relevant to both the present and the future.

We were powerless to stop Putin because we are powerless to stop Putin and we will be powerless to stop Putin. We are so frit of him, of the nuclear threat, that we're not prepared to stand up and defend Ukraine with the only language Putin will pay attention to: military force.

Biden is a wet blanket. His ghastly withdrawal from Afghanistan, aided and abetted by Johnson, greenlit Putin's invasion of Ukraine and has shown Putin that NATO is not going to stand up and defend them.

I utterly disagree. In other places, the 'we caused tis by x, y and z' are being used as distractions away from the Russian's folly. Whenever anyone criticises Russia, the voices cry that it is 'our' fault.

"Russians are doing these things."
    "Remember that we guaranteed we would not expand NATO eastwards, and Ukraine is filled with Nazis. Besides, we 'poked' them into it."

It is classic maskirovka, performed by either knowing or unknowing fools.

The Russian government is not the victims in this. They are the aggressor, the bully.
    The victims are the Ukrainian people and, to a lesser extent, the Russian people.

If we see what is happening as akin to rape, then these people are saying that Ukraine should not have been wearing such a short skirt.
    I'm afraid I really do think a lot of the back-slapping about how well we are doing is delusional borne of a need not to feel as powerless about what Putin is doing as we are.

The fact is, we stood by and let him invade and pulverise an entire nation. Slowly and inexorably that is what he is doing. Biden and NATO refused to pitch in because they were too scared of Putin's nuclear threats. Perhaps justifiably, but we've let him get away with it.

We all want this to be another Afghanistan. I fear we are deluding ourselves.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

The other dilemma for Conservative MPs is that the longer he is left in place, the more he taints the whole party. After all, some of this was known ages ago- enough for people to ask some pretty probing questions. But they all (even Boris-sceptics like Hunt) backed him for PM.

On topic, surely Boris will go in Autumn 2023 if and only if he is confident of winning well. After all, that's why Maggie and Blair went for elections after four years and Major and Brown didn't.

Given the wider economic forecasts, that seems brave... Does "these economic problems, which started somewhere else" ever work?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    .@KayBurley: Do you still think Evgeny Lebedev is a first-generation immigrant we can be proud of?

@sajidjavid says he is 'comfortable' with Lebedev keeping his peerage after reports MI6 has had concerns about the Russian oligarch since 2013.

https://trib.al/QTC8as2

📺 Sky 501 https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1503273542875500552/video/1
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but the Ch4 program on he life of Putin in 3 (?) parts is both fascinating and extraordinary. A must watch for anyone following making predictions on what happens next. Also an extremely well put together documentary in its own right
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,162
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

It pains me to say this but the most likely replacement for Putin is.. another Russian nationalist.

We like to think that the 90s were halcyon days with Russian-Western cooperation and reasonable Russian behaviour now but forget that Yeltsin shelled his own Parliament (killing dozens of legislators), kicked off the brutal war in Chechnya and handed over power to one of his trusted lieutenants as his anointed successor: Vladimir Putin.

Sure, we might get a slightly less insane Russian nationalist, one who hasn't quite clearly lost the plot, but it's not going to be Garry Kasparov.
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

Putin wins from here by continuing the slow crushing of Ukraine, the pulverisation of the country town by town, brick by brick.

The numbers of deaths are awful but miniscule. c 5000 soldiers dead out of a population of 145,000,000. It's very grim but not going to give Putin a sleepless night.

On Russian economy I am no expert but I fear that trade links with India, China, Africa and the Middle East will mitigate against many of our sanctions.

I agree with you about accelerating the west's move to renewables, or at least I hope you're right. It would be a fantastic outcome of this awful war. If we can all start to go off grid with our homes, which we can, it would be amazing.

(Chris, that's how you debate not by being Ad hominem and rude. Don't demean this site.)
    The Russians put 200,000 troops on the border of Ukraine. They have probably lost at least 25,000-30,000 between injuries, death and capture.

Those are horrendous losses.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

I think you perhaps underestimate Putin's domestic support. For not a few Russians this will be a fight in defence of their homeland.

There's no way for Putin to win if the west stays united, but there are ways for us all to lose.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    Nigelb said:

Labour has made a good start on that by not having Corbyn as leader: there were a lot of votes last time that were much more about stopping him becoming PM than positively wanting Johnson. It will be much easier to vote against Boris next time as SKS seems to be mostly harmless.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Tories are bereft of principles, all they care about is money.
  • For the first time in years I bought a Sunday Times to see just what it had on the Lebedev connection. It was damning. If there were not a war on Boris would be out pronto just on the evidence of that one edition.

Couldn’t agree more. The silence is deafening. It’s fine that Russian money and bot farms helped to deliver Brexit, it’s no problem that Russian money has financed the Tory Party and it’s client media for decades. The end justifies the means.

The aims of the right chime with those of Putin, in as much as they both get hard for a strong, nationalist agenda, a return of Empire, of power, of prestige perceived to have been lost. Not collaboration with a weak, Woke, green EU. Fellow travellers on the anti-climate change bandwagon, for whom the profit available from digging up and burning fossil fuels is more important than the long-term health of the planet.

The right can’t face up to this yet. Perhaps with time they will do.
  • For the first time in years I bought a Sunday Times to see just what it had on the Lebedev connection. It was damning. If there were not a war on Boris would be out pronto just on the evidence of that one edition.

The other dilemma for Conservative MPs is that the longer he is left in place, the more he taints the whole party. After all, some of this was known ages ago- enough for people to ask some pretty probing questions. But they all (even Boris-sceptics like Hunt) backed him for PM.

On topic, surely Boris will go in Autumn 2023 if and only if he is confident of winning well. After all, that's why Maggie and Blair went for elections after four years and Major and Brown didn't.

Given the wider economic forecasts, that seems brave... Does "these economic problems, which started somewhere else" ever work?
    Now would be quite a good time for those MPs to move. They could use 'the fog of war' in a way and the brand would be less tainted as a result.

I suspect they won't though. I have to say that 20 years of political betting has taught me that when it comes to dates, it's generally best to back the later ones.

Generally.
    I think the Lebedev thing is awful but I'm even more concerned by the way Boris Johnson shares with Putin the attempt to alter the reality of truth. It's not just lying, it's attempting entirely to re-write a narrative, a zeitgeist, into something that is utterly at variance with the actual truth. Putin does it all the time but so does Johnson. Cummings was another shit who was up to it.

Some of you may dislike the comparison of Putin with Johnson but this is deeply disturbing. I genuinely fear for our democracy because a lot of people get taken in by it.
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

A happy accident, no doubt.

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.
    As a country we are. But on here there are some people who seem rather keener to talk about how this is *our* fault, than to unequivocally say 'Russia is wrong'. Some talk about how Russia should gain from their invasion, in the name of peace.

Online, it can be much worse, with people literally equating Ukrainians to Nazis, when the truth is quite the opposite: Putin is the fascist.

I'm normally a shades-of-grey person (not fifty...). The truth lies somewhere in the middle in an argument. But this is a rare exception: the evil is obvious and easy to identify.
    I don’t see how this is anyone else fault bar Putins and what Russia is doing is appalling.

I’m normally shades of grey like you, and the west has its faults. Many of them. Not here.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Nigelb said:

The Corbyn thing is ironic.

It's true Jeremy kept some bad company, and showed some shocking judgement but he didn't actually *do* a great deal to benefit the Russians. Putting one of them in the House of Lords wants some topping.
    The Tories warcry , "Corbyn bad".
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

No, the sanctions and unified response of the West guarantee that every day the war lasts is a defeat for Putin. How long he can put up with it is a matter of conjecture but the Ukranians are not going anywhere. They have nowhere to go. And their allies are many, have deep pockets and have shown a surprisng willingness to give support.

Uncertainties remain of course. Nukes are always possible, though unilkey in my view. Chemical weapons may come too, though again I think probably not. Just how and when it all ends I don't know, but it will one day, and when it does I expect Russia to be a substantially reduced force in world affairs.

Well done Vlad. Thank you Ukraine.
    The biggest single risk at the moment, is that the Russians find an excuse to use a banned chemical weapon. They’ll probably say it was the Ukranians that used it, so they are now bringing out their own ‘in response’. We have already seen their talk of Ukranian bio-labs, which of course are actually your standard public health laboratories that any country might have, and not being used for anything military.

At that point, the rest of the world wakes up and gets involved, and we really do have WWIII. Hopefully Putin gets handed the whisky and revolver before we get that far down the road.

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

I utterly disagree. In other places, the 'we caused tis by x, y and z' are being used as distractions away from the Russian's folly. Whenever anyone criticises Russia, the voices cry that it is 'our' fault.

"Remember that we guaranteed we would not expand NATO eastwards, and Ukraine is filled with Nazis. Besides, we 'poked' them into it."

The Russian government is not the victims in this. They are the aggressor, the bully.
    The victims are the Ukrainian people and, to a lesser extent, the Russian people.

If we see what is happening as akin to rape, then these people are saying that Ukraine should not have been wearing such a short skirt.
    Twitter is full of such comments.
    Heathener said:

I'm afraid I really do think a lot of the back-slapping about how well we are doing is delusional borne of a need not to feel as powerless about what Putin is doing as we are.

The fact is, we stood by and let him invade and pulverise an entire nation. Slowly and inexorably that is what he is doing. Biden and NATO refused to pitch in because they were too scared of Putin's nuclear threats. Perhaps justifiably, but we've let him get away with it.

When you say "we", I don't think you're including yourself.

So perhaps you should be a little more precise in your language and say "you".

It would be a little more honest, no?

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

That's generally how political careers work.

If Ukraine manage a victory of sorts over Russia, then it won't surprise me at all if Boris says "I'm off in time for my successor to be crowned at the party conference". He will bask in the glow of being worshipped in Ukraine and having generally been seen to have done a good job in that war and on Covid. Downing Street parties will be a forgotten footnote - although his bad calls on being chummy with dodgy Russians less so.

But he can go and make his millions on the talking circuit sooner rather than later, having departed on his own terms. I think he'd take that from where he was a month ago.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

'We' meaning the west, not pb.com per se.

I think we in the west have been trying to convince ourselves that we're doing as much as we possibly can (we aren't), that we're united (we aren't) and that there's nothing further we can do without risking nuclear war (not true).

The reality is that we are ignoring Zelensky's pleas for a No Fly Zone and we're letting an entire country get pulverised.

• bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636

Yup. There’s a compete blind spot on this site because it’s full of people who never supported him in the first place*. You land the key point - no one is really against him now who wasn’t against him all along. And “Boris the Kremlin stooge” isn’t a narrative that can land of Ukraine is thanking him for punching the Kremlin in the nose.

He’s lucky. Covid overwrote any perceived Brexit issues. Russia overwrites any blowback from Covid/partygate absent anything new.

What I am worried about is what we have to live through next to overwrite the long term impact of this war….

*I learnt my lesson betting against him getting on the ballot in the first place because I felt Tory MPs wouldn’t wear it.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

Now would be quite a good time for those MPs to move. They could use 'the fog of war' in a way and the brand would be less tainted as a result.

I suspect they won't though. I have to say that 20 years of political betting has taught me that when it comes to dates, it's generally best to back the later ones.

Generally.
    Like planting trees, the best time to dump BoJo is "already", and the second best time is "now".

But having failed once, the next attempt will be harder.

That's generally how political careers work.

If Ukraine manage a victory of sorts over Russia, then it won't surprise me at all if Boris says "I'm off in time for my successor to be crowned at the party conference".
    I reckon the only thing which will cause Boris to step down before 2024 is if he stays on in Uxbridge & South Ruislip and risks losing his seat there.

He is far too narcissistic to allow himself to go through that degradation.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

@rcs1000

'History suggests that the willingness of people to die for their homeland in about 100x greatest than their willingness to throw lives away for some concept like, oh I don't know, Greater Russia.'

That echoes my Dad's words perfectly. He didn't want to be there (North Africa in his case) and nor did his mates but they fought to the death because they had nowhere to go if they lost. He always repeated this manta whenever wars broke out around the world, and he was almost invariably right.

Good morning one and all. Brighter here today after a rather miserable Sunday.

On topic, that was one or arguments in my youth around 'doing one's National Service'.
    It was when, in the coffee bars, the question was asked, 'what are we doing this for' that the arguments raged.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    edited March 2022

John Major won in '92 despite the vicious 1990-1 recession. And that one was caused by domestic policy mistakes - in particular joining the ERM - rather than international factors like the price of energy. The Opposition needs a convincing story about how they will improve the economy, which Starmer doesn't have - just more tax, spend and regulation of exactly the kind that will throttle growth.

It MAY be enough if the Conservatives mess thinkgs up badly enough, but at the moment, I'm not sure.
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

Twitter is part of the poison that has got us to the place of Russia invading Ukraine. It has been part of the trashing of public debate. Those whose voice would have been drowned out by a mass of reasonable responses are instead now held up as public opinion shapers and influencers.

When we look back on the 21st century, it will be one of those "how the hell did they let that happen?" reflections.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Heathener said:

I think the Lebedev thing is awful but I'm even more concerned by the way Boris Johnson shares with Putin the attempt to alter the reality of truth. It's not just lying, it's attempting entirely to re-write a narrative, a zeitgeist, into something that is utterly at variance with the actual truth. Putin does it all the time but so does Johnson. Cummings was another shit who was up to it.

Some of you may dislike the comparison of Putin with Johnson but this is deeply disturbing. I genuinely fear for our democracy because a lot of people get taken in by it.

Both are post-truth politicians. But in Putin's case, he has perhaps run in to the limits of what is possible. You can't fake an invasion of another country with tens of thousands of conscripts dying, hyperinflation, banks closing down, Shops closing, etc. There comes a point where you no longer control the agenda and a form of reality intervenes.

Putin should have stuck with the old tactics of plausible deniability and fake institutions that fooled people and useful idiots could get behind. It could have run on and on for decades, generations even.

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

It pains me to say this but the most likely replacement for Putin is.. another Russian nationalist.

We like to think that the 90s were halcyon days with Russian-Western cooperation and reasonable Russian behaviour now but forget that Yeltsin shelled his own Parliament (killing dozens of legislators), kicked off the brutal war in Chechnya and handed over power to one of his trusted lieutenants as his anointed successor: Vladimir Putin.

Sure, we might get a slightly less insane Russian nationalist, one who hasn't quite clearly lost the plot, but it's not going to be Garry Kasparov.
    I’d take a complete bastard so long as they were a pragmatist.
  • biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

The problem will be what to do about 5,000 nukes, pragmatist or not.

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

Twitter is part of the poison that has got us to the place of Russia invading Ukraine. .
    I read your posts on here with interest (Chris, again, take note). I've seen Greta Thurnberg blamed on here for starting the Ukraine war but now Twitter is responsible for it? It's an interesting thesis but I'm not on twitter so I wouldn't know.

I think if we believe in democracy it's really important that we continue to debate in as friendly a way as possible, even when profoundly disagreeing with someone's perspective or suggestion. I've noticed an increasing amount of anger and abuse on here. That's a shame because this is a decent site and the only one I frequent. When someone is rude to me I tend to disappear as I have better things to do than be insulted by someone from the comfort of their chair whom I've never met.

So keep playing the ball, folks. Not the man or woman.

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?

The problem will be what to do about 5,000 nukes, pragmatist or not.
    Sometimes having a complete bastard in power is helpful in terms of avoiding the end of the world. Look at Xi. We know he’s a genocidal maniac but we also know he and his inner circle have no interest in nuclear war. Not any great comfort for the people he has slaughtered, but a comfort for us.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

Twitter is part of the poison that has got us to the place of Russia invading Ukraine. It has been part of the trashing of public debate. Those whose voice would have been drowned out by a mass of reasonable responses are instead now held up as public opinion shapers and influencers.

When we look back on the 21st century, it will be one of those "how the hell did they let that happen?" reflections.
    I'm not so sure. I can't stand Twitter, but I doubt it influenced VVP very much - I think it was more to do with his having got away with starting wars three times before, and thinking he could make it pay again. Together with America's spineless and incompetent retreat from Afghanistan, again not obviously influenced by Twitter. We'll never know, but I doubt we'd be in a very different place without that dismal website.
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

I think we in the west have been trying to convince ourselves that we're doing as much as we possibly can (we aren't), that we're united (we aren't) and that there's nothing further we can do without risking nuclear war (not true).

The reality is that we are ignoring Zelensky's pleas for a No Fly Zone and we're letting an entire country get pulverised.

Oh come come come, @Heathener, don't be coy.

You started here with some views on Covid cases and hospitalisations in Israel which turned out not to be - how to put this - entirely accurate. Then moved on to a story about BA pilots, which turned out to be... ah yes... not entirely accurate.

And now you're onto "oh yes, I'm on your side, one of *you*, and I know it's hard to accept, but it would be better for all of us if the Ukrainians just accepted the inevitable and laid down their arms... after all, what chance do they stand?"

It is a little tricky to take you seriously, and for that I apologise.
  • Fishing said:

John Major won in '92 despite the vicious 1990-1 recession. And that one was caused by domestic policy mistakes - in particular joining the ERM - rather than international factors like the price of energy. The Opposition needs a convincing story about how they will improve the economy, which Starmer doesn't have - just more tax, spend and regulation of exactly the kind that will throttle growth.

It MAY be enough if the Conservatives mess thinkgs up badly enough, but at the moment, I'm not sure.
    Starmer may well find that boring old competence and simply not being the other guy is sufficient.
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

Twitter is part of the poison that has got us to the place of Russia invading Ukraine. .
    I read your posts on here with interest (Chris, again, take note). I've seen Greta Thurnberg blamed on here for starting the Ukraine war but now Twitter is responsible for it? It's an interesting thesis but I'm not on twitter so I wouldn't know.

I think if we believe in democracy it's really important that we continue to debate in as friendly a way as possible, even when profoundly disagreeing with someone's perspective or suggestion. I've noticed an increasing amount of anger and abuse on here. That's a shame because this is a decent site and the only one I frequent. When someone is rude to me I tend to disappear as I have better things to do than be insulted by someone from the comfort of their chair whom I've never met.

So keep playing the ball, folks. Not the man or woman.
    Don’t count Greta out: global thermonuclear war would stop global warming in its tracks. Method, motive, and opportunity - we are 1/3 there.
    Fishing said:

Yes I remember Major being the more trusted on the economy to get us out of the difficulties, helped by the fact that he had been Chancellor.

The newspapers were particularly vicious about Neil Kinnock: basically for being a ginger-headed, highly emotional, Welshman. Sheffield didn't exactly help him in that regard. 'Would the last person to leave Britain please turn out the light', pictures of Kinnock as a turnip etc. etc. It was the Sun Wot Won It, and all that.

I'm really not sure Sir Keir Starmer will get treatment of that sort. Johnson may try and slur him but he's of a very different stature.
    edited March 2022

Fishing said:

Starmer may well find that boring old competence and simply not being the other guy is sufficient.
    I think the Boris Saville line was a preview. I suspect Starmer is going to get attacked on his record at DPP, at length, online, in deniable ways not always linked to the facts. It will be sickening. It may be effective.
    DavidL said:

Heathener said:

If you think that this is another Afghanistan you are indeed deluding yourself. In Afghanistan there was virtually no organised or equipped regular forces against the Russians. There were Mujaheddin in the hills launching raids and using a trickle of western technology, usually anti aircraft missles. In the Ukraine they are fighting a well organised army with huge quantities of superior western kit which is currently being replaced at a prodigious rate.

So, you have not only somewhat lesser logistical challenges but a very rapid attrition rate. At best the Russians are sustaining casualties, including kit, wounded and surrendered, of around 1% of their force a day. They either win soon or they lose. There is still a window of opportunity for them but it is closing.
    One outcome, which seems likely, is that they will 'win' by relying on extreme firepower and the worst type of weapons imaginable. They will bomb Ukraine to bits raising russian flags on the rubble. But it will be a phyrric victory, and they will never be able to control the country.
  • @Heathener

'The reality is that we are ignoring Zelensky's pleas for a No Fly Zone and we're letting an entire country get pulverised.'

No serious commentator is suggesting a NFZ. The reason is obvious, and has been stated on this forum clearly and frequently.
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Both are post-truth politicians. But in Putin's case, he has perhaps run in to the limits of what is possible. You can't fake an invasion of another country with tens of thousands of conscripts dying, hyperinflation, banks closing down, Shops closing, etc. There comes a point where you no longer control the agenda and a form of reality intervenes.

Putin should have stuck with the old tactics of plausible deniability and fake institutions that fooled people and useful idiots could get behind. It could have run on and on for decades, generations even.
    Putin could probably have bled Ukraine dry if he'd funded opposition groups, bribed politicians, and continued to arm the separatists. Maybe a few Russian troops could have grabbed 20 miles here or there...

Instead he went for invasion. And succeeded in uniting the decadent West.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Heathener said:

I think, post war, we will need to face up to the weaknesses of our own political system. The shameless lies from various politicians has absolutely created a fog of misinformation. The process of calling out Trump, Johnson, Farage, Le Pen, Salmond and many others needs to be carried through, and those who have served Putin, in whatever capacity, need to be removed from the political process entirely and where appropriate to face criminal trial.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    As he always does, the phenomenal @christogrozev telephoned the FSB generals reported to have been placed under house arrest to see if they answer the phone. They didn’t pick up the receiver while others, did.
    The arrests seem to be connected to literally billions that were spent by the FSB on recruiting against in the Ukrainian government, military, security services, universities etc, to help with the coup that was meant to give Russia control of Ukraine. instead they bought “dead souls” and stole the money.

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1503092712593137666?s=21
    Cicero said:

Heathener said:

I think, post war, we will need to face up to the weaknesses of our own political system. The shameless lies from various politicians has absolutely created a fog of misinformation. The process of calling out Trump, Johnson, Farage, Le Pen, Salmond and many others needs to be carried through, and those who have served Putin, in whatever capacity, need to be removed from the political process entirely and where appropriate to face criminal trial.
    I will say I get uncomfortable with the idea that anyone who was at all friendly with any rich Russians was inherently corrupt (not saying you are saying that, but it’s the general idea out there in the world). We do need a sense of proportion on this.

Couldn’t agree more. The silence is deafening. It’s fine that Russian money and bot farms helped to deliver Brexit, it’s no problem that Russian money has financed the Tory Party and it’s client media for decades. The end justifies the means.

The aims of the right chime with those of Putin, in as much as they both get hard for a strong, nationalist agenda, a return of Empire, of power, of prestige perceived to have been lost. Not collaboration with a weak, Woke, green EU. Fellow travellers on the anti-climate change bandwagon, for whom the profit available from digging up and burning fossil fuels is more important than the long-term health of the planet.

The right can’t face up to this yet. Perhaps with time they will do.
    It’s only people on the left whoever mention the Empire…
  • Morning all! A glorious sunny day here in Buchan, though I have been working flat out since 7 so maybe I am not going to enjoy much of it...

WRT Big Dog, the election, and his purported departure for *reasons*, there is much talk about the supposed political / moral calculations of Tory backbenchers.

Can I propose an alternative hypothesis - many of them have no morals.

There is little point in appealing to the basic morality or decency or political standards of some Tory MPs because they don't have any. To be clear there are some truly awful MPs of all parties but the Tories do particularly well in attracting the moral vacuum types.

So its a little pointless waiting for them to "do the right thing" because they don't know what that is. As a very early post in his thread (@ydoethur?) pointed out it was going to be this thing then that thing then the other thing that sunk him and would have sunk anyone else. If they knew the right thing he would already have gone.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Oh come come come, @Heathener, don't be coy.

You started here with some views on Covid cases and hospitalisations in Israel which turned out not to be - how to put this - entirely accurate. Then moved on to a story about BA pilots, which turned out to be... ah yes... not entirely accurate.

And now you're onto "oh yes, I'm on your side, one of *you*, and I know it's hard to accept, but it would be better for all of us if the Ukrainians just accepted the inevitable and laid down their arms... after all, what chance do they stand?"

It is a little tricky to take you seriously, and for that I apologise.
    I don't know a single person on here who is right all the time and you most certainly aren't. I probably treat your posts with about 60% seriousness, your father's at about 90%. You are, for example, very skewed to a US way of thinking which doesn't always, or readily, transfer this side of the pond. You've just come out with a constitutional howler about Boris Johnson which I've been more gentle with you over than you with I. You just can't resist playing the person 'eh?

On covid I've been mostly right. No idea what you're talking about BA pilots: don't know any and don't recall ever having mentioned them in my life. I don't fly with BA (I go Qatar) and I don't have any contacts with BA.

I think the only big mistake I've made since joining, and it's a huge one, was assuming that Putin wasn't mad enough to invade. Based that on him having insufficient troops in place to guarantee victory and because we always over-estimate Russian military equipment. So I was right about the reason but misjudged the man. But, then, how do you legislate for someone who has gone full tonto?
    Fishing said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

moonshine said:

Glorious misty morning.

So what happens then ?
    Who knows?

Which we are doing.

I'm not so sure. I can't stand Twitter, but I doubt it influenced VVP very much - I think it was more to do with his having got away with starting wars three times before, and thinking he could make it pay again. Together with America's spineless and incompetent retreat from Afghanistan, again not obviously influenced by Twitter. We'll never know, but I doubt we'd be in a very different place without that dismal website.
    Social media - and its abuse of the truth - has been a key element in how Russia under Putin has been operating. Not that Trump escapes my ire on this either. And yes, perhaps some of the Ukrainian output too. It allows things to be said and sent out far and wide that would not have any credibility in face-to-face interactions. You'd just laugh at them.

Twitter is a useful tool when used in combination by the malevolent, those with an agenda - and the downright gullible.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    The Hang Seng down 5.5% today - carnage on the markets to come I think with the China warning
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

Putin could probably have bled Ukraine dry if he'd funded opposition groups, bribed politicians, and continued to arm the separatists. Maybe a few Russian troops could have grabbed 20 miles here or there...

Instead he went for invasion. And succeeded in uniting the decadent West.
    Yes indeed - not only has he united the decadent west, he has reinvigorated its sense of meaning, mission and purpose.

As others have pointed out, it could actually be come to be regarded as a case study in the failure of dictatorship as a form of government. It is a bit early to conclude the whole thing will be a failure though, time will tell and things aren't exactly looking great in Ukraine.
    p.s. I think this site works well when people are given freedom to hypothesise. Why so? Well largely because it's a betting site and we're trying to forecast the future.

Conversely this site is at its absolute worst when someone is a stick-in-the-mud, refusing to shift position, to acknowledge that someone else might actually have a point, and always thinking they are right.

Have a nice day.
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Let’s game out a NFZ for a moment

When OTAN jets hit a air defence emplacement inside the boundaries of Russia, how does Putin react?

The Hang Seng down 5.5% today - carnage on the markets to come I think with the China warning

Any idea why Tokyo and Singapore were fine when the Hang Seng slumped? The China link?

The markets are very odd at the moment: London was fine on Friday when the US sank. Unusual.

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Let’s game out a NFZ for a moment

When OTAN jets hit a air defence emplacement inside the boundaries of Russia, how does Putin react?
    “OTAN”? We don’t let…. French people on here do we?
This discussion has been closed.