Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ukraine invasion could impact on the French election – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,772
edited March 2022 in General
The Ukraine invasion could impact on the French election – politicalbetting.com

Not a good pic of Le Pen to be circulating less than a month before the French presidential election pic.twitter.com/KsYFePUzXC

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,164
    edited March 2022
    The crucial bit of the question "to prevent Russia winning the war"....

Practically all analysts think Russia will win out in the end, its a matter of how long, how much damage and destruction both sides inflict and what "winning" means i.e. does that mean Russia have replaced the government and nominally controlling all the major cities, but there still being an insurgency?

Despite the amazing fight the Ukrainians are putting up, Russia are still moving forward, creeping forward inch by inch in some places, but in the South they are definitely "winning".
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    second like Le Pen? maybe
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,399

Practically all analysts think Russia will win out in the end, its a matter of how long, how much damage and destruction both sides inflict and what "winning" means i.e. does that mean Russia have replaced the government and nominally controlling all the major cities, but there still being an insurgency?

Despite the amazing fight the Ukrainians are putting up, Russia are still moving forward, creeping forward inch by inch in some places, but in the South they are definitely "winning".
    Only winning* in the south though if they win the rest of the country too. If those columns near Kyiv high-tail it back home, there's a wall of deadly kit going down south next.

*insert own definition of "winning" here.
  • Options
    Yorkshire Tea is boycotting Russia....
  • Options
    Flatlander FPT:

"The footage looks much like what you would get from a £1k consumer DJI, or perhaps something even cheaper.

Air support isn't much use against something that weights 250g and is 10cm across."

Handy cheap and cheerful facility to have though - to see exactly what the enemy is doing in real time. Especially if you want to set up an ambush on their return journey.

At that size, I doubt they even knew they were being watched.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Russia-Ukraine latest news: Sanctions will send global food prices 'soaring', warns Vladimir Putin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/10/russia-ukraine-news-latest-war-putin-zelensky-weapons-attacks/

Which is a worrying thing to be sure, but it's not really nuclear warlord talk. and we've imposed the sanctions now anyway

Busted flush
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,952
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but we have just 4 local by-elections today. There are Lib Dem defences in Hertfordshire CC and North Hertfordshire DC. and Ind defences in Herefordshire and Rutland.
  • Options
    3 have suspended Chelsea sponsorship
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,155
    edited March 2022
    Kira Rudik, Ukr, MP: "There is no peace with Putin because even his small words of promise to let women and children out of a starving city are lies"

TV interview at:

https://twitter.com/kiraincongress
  • Options
    Macron looks home and dry
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,072
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1501961460536250368

Russia about to pass 1,000 vehicle & aircraft losses confirmed via photographic evidence, including over 160 tanks. When you consider that we're only seeing somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of all losses, it is just a truly staggering amount of scrap metal.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,024

Macron looks home and dry

He already did. Now it's just even dryer.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Tifo say Chelsea regularly use private jet for away games in EPL at a cost of roughly £50k a trip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maUK2_WiTrw

Total cost of a European away game must be costing many times that.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,358
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    Case summary

• Options
    Someone else who would be very ripe for sanctioning...

Maria Pevchikh

@pevchikhI would like you to meet Polina Kovaleva. Polina is a 26-year-old glamorous Russian girl from London🇬🇧. She lives in a huge apartment in Kensington and loves to party, her instagram feed looks like a non-stop holiday. That’s not unheard of, but there is one small detail…

Polina is the stepdaughter of Russia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Lavrov.

https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1501878715709632518
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    Deaths

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,942

Only winning* in the south though if they win the rest of the country too. If those columns near Kyiv high-tail it back home, there's a wall of deadly kit going down south next.

Why do we think better in the south than the north? - is it terrain (the South is sandier, the north boggier aiui), more hardened personnel, or the proximity of supply lines?
  • Options
    Age related

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,599
    London Plague Recovery Update 629

Walking up Charlotte St. Generally one of London’s most vibrant streets (“a man could be happy living on Charlotte Street” - Saul Bellow). I remember strolling down here in spring last year and it was desolate. Almost every bar and restaurant shuttered. Some in deep decay. I thought “this will never recover. Or it will take many years”

It has recovered. Already. Apart from a small section above Goodge Street, all the premises are buzzing - either with customers, or the sounds of building work. Several places are brand new

Highly encouraging. The resilience of cities. They can take a lot of punishment
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Deaths

Hoping to see

+ 1 Vladimir Putin on that list
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases increasing. However there is some indication that R may be flattening out at 1.2 or so.
    - Admissions up. R is above 1 here
    - MV beds - flat
    - In hospital - up a bit
    - Deaths still falling, though it looks like the rate of decent is slowing.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

In any case, the question doesn't ask anything about the West doing more.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,054
    IshmaelZ said:

Russia-Ukraine latest news: Sanctions will send global food prices 'soaring', warns Vladimir Putin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/10/russia-ukraine-news-latest-war-putin-zelensky-weapons-attacks/

Which is a worrying thing to be sure, but it's not really nuclear warlord talk. and we've imposed the sanctions now anyway

Busted flush

He’s right, but probably going to be rather more painful on his side of the fence than ours.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,192

Isn't winning meeting your objectives within budget and timeline? Russia are miles away from winning. That does not mean Ukraine are winning either, in lots of wars there are only losers.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,048
    edited March 2022

Flatlander FPT:

"The footage looks much like what you would get from a £1k consumer DJI, or perhaps something even cheaper.

Air support isn't much use against something that weights 250g and is 10cm across."

Handy cheap and cheerful facility to have though - to see exactly what the enemy is doing in real time. Especially if you want to set up an ambush on their return journey.

No, particularly as it appears to have been snowing. A small white drone against a white sky - pretty much invisible.

This is the kind of thing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Mavic-Air-Quadcopter-ActiveTrack/dp/B0876XYV7D

Video range of up to 6km is easily enough to stay hidden in the bushes somewhere. Ideal for the task really.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,965
    edited March 2022
    On Topic.
    But would you go further at this stage Mike, flutter on a shock Macron defeat?

I think analysing it there’s an argument Macrons platform is now the wrong one for the constituency he will be fighting the second round in. Maybe not wrong in the moderation we would vote for ourselves, but in French electorate being in a different more anti macron place than last time.

Yes, I am making this point much in defiance of current second round polling, on basis that polling could change closer to make mind up time, with campaign oxygen given to the anti macron platforms.

Rather than simply being left of centre votes and right of centre votes, the fact is Melenchon and Le Pen sit on the opposite side of the table from Macron on type of French nationality, the anti immigration, close the borders to be at home, dislike for Germany and dislike EU policies central to both their campaigns. Last time nearly half of Melenchon’s support didn’t endorse Macron, if you include abstention. However This time, everyone on other side of table clearly know what he stands for, his policies very much their enemy if you remember back to the Yellowjacket campaigns, Melenchon and Le Pen voters shared yellow jackets with each other. Now their votes could be more interchangeable and tactical anti macron than last time. Through anti immigration, anti eu and look after our own being the main positions of those sat opposite macron, they virtually share “on est chez nous” slogan. Certainly on unfairness of taxation structure, retirement, a credit crunch could play into the hands of the yellow jacket platform.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,795
    Both Modi and the Chinese FM have now referred to the conflict as a war, so it looks like Russia is losing whatever part of the narrative they were able to control.
  • Options

Flatlander FPT:

No, particularly as it appears to have been snowing. A small white drone against a white sky - pretty much invisible.

Video range of up to 6km is easily enough to stay hidden in the bushes somewhere. Ideal for the task really.
    Drone + NLAW/Javelin = "I didn't sign up for this, Comrade!"
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,753

Flatlander FPT:

All true, but the incredible thing is that the Russians aren’t jamming them.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Busted flush

He’s right, but probably going to be rather more painful on his side of the fence than ours.
    We in the west will still buy (expensive) stuff with our hard currency.

In Russia, Vlad, you will have to barter your TV/car/wife for a potato....
  • Options
    Old Dad was the 'glory hunter', a different generation to his pre-war siblings he fell Busby red to his forebears' and brothers' blue and I have strongly blue cousin lines to this day. Resulted in a large number of light blue wedding presents from my family.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,759
    edited March 2022

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

If Chelsea and/or Everton go bust/get relegated I think I might actually die of laughter.

Forget the quadruple, this would be the double.

FWIW - I think Chelsea are screwed, they lost close to £150 million last season, and net losses of over a £1.5 billion over the last decade or two.

If Roman cannot pump money into the club, they are buggered.

I reckon they could get deducted points this season which might knock them out the CL places and more likely points deduction next season.

It was also reported yesterday that Everton might also get points deduction next season.

You are not a real football fan if you want your derby rivals to go bust.

That said, you have absolutely no connection with Merseyside as far as I can ascertain so probably don't care about the maintenance of the Merseyside derby.
    I married a plastic scouser. Pre plague I often spent £20k a year following Liverpool.

But tell me more about me having no connection with Liverpool.
    In what sense do you have a link with Liverpool? You weren't born there, you have never lived there, and your family don't come from there. Your only link is by marriage seemingly. Some might say you are just a glory grabber!
    I’m a child of the 80s.

I’m also very non white, in the 80s, football fans weren’t very welcoming.

Only chance I had to watch football was on the TV, in those days you had like 12 matches on TV, mostly Liverpool.

If I was a glory grabber, I’d have been a Chelsea and Man City fan recently.
    No, because you only get one chance. Even glory grabbers don't move from team to team. That would make the whole thing pointless.
    You make a half-decent case, but 'because they were big when I started watching football' is never going to elicit much sympathy.
    The order of respect that people will give you for the team you support - and don't pretend you don't know this, deep down - is as follows:
    1) Your local team. (Properly your local team - if you grown up in suburban Stockport, it's Stockport County, not Manchester Utd/City. If you grow up in Urmston and support Manchester United people will allow it, although it takes some of the fun out of it.)
    2) The team your family supported before you.
    3) A not particularly good team who you ended up with for an off-beat reason but have nevertheless stuck with (I knew a fella from Lancaster who - with no particular reason to support one team or another - was taken to buy his first football shirt at the age of 8. Who will it be? Blackburn were both Lancastrian AND successful at the time. It was before Morecambe were a league side, but they were close by. Some from school supported teams from Manchester or Liverpool. He gazed happily at the shirts before him, before being called by his father over to the sale bin (the family didn't have much money) and being given a choice of Sheffield United, Middlesbrough or Stoke. Somewhat glumly, he chose Sheffield United. But he stuck with them subsequently and went on to follow them home and away.
    4) A terrible team for no readily apparent reason.
    5) Your nearest 'big' team (see point 1 above).
    6) A big team who aren't even your second nearest.

Basically, you don't even get to choose. Your team is assigned to you by an almost mystical process. Because watching football is, at bottom, about identity. (If it was about entertainment you'd be watching rugby instead.)
    My father is a Liverpool fan.

He was a huge fan of Shankly and Paisley.

As the grandson of immigrants to this country so I didn’t have much footballing heritage to tap.
    I'm not meaning to have a go, by the way. Every tradition has to start somewhere, and you've clearly invested a lot of time and effort over the years in Liverpool. But supporting a successful team when you're not from that city in particular is never going to elicit a great deal of sympathy. Supporting a successful team when they ARE your local team is never going to get you much sympathy, but at least a little 'oh well, suppose you can't help it'.
    I recall discussing football with TSE and other Liverpool fans on here over a decade ago when Liverpool were on the verge of bankruptcy under Hicks and Gillette.

In those those days Liverpool were about as "successful" as 1990s English Cricket.
    There speaks a fan of the top teams! Regular cup finals, European football and finishing 6th being a bad season is successful! Ask fans of the other 86.....
    Success = Performance - Expectations.

I'm from Merseyside originally and also a fan of Tranmere Rovers, I've been regularly to both Anfield and Prenton Park in the past. We were relegated out of the Football League altogether for the first time only a few years ago and were relegated most recently due to the shortened Covid19 season in the same season that Liverpool won its Premier League title - so mixed emotions that season, I know as well as any others what its like for the "other teams".

As a fan of Tranmere expectations are different to how they are as a fan of Liverpool. For Tranmere being able to knock out a Premier League club in the FA Cup or League Cup is an incredible success, or avoiding relegation some seasons . . . as a Liverpool fan seeing Manchester United win a dozen league titles while we weren't winning any was not a successful time period.
    If you knew what it was like for fans of the 86, the ones who don't also support a glory club, you would think differently.
    Oh grow up. I don't "also support a glory club", I'm from Merseyside and my entire family is either white and blue or white and red.
    Yes, and that's perfect fairly enough.

However I think you are unique on PB insofar as you are a Liverpool fan who is actually from Merseyside!

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

If Chelsea and/or Everton go bust/get relegated I think I might actually die of laughter.

FWIW - I think Chelsea are screwed, they lost close to £150 million last season, and net losses of over a £1.5 billion over the last decade or two.

I reckon they could get deducted points this season which might knock them out the CL places and more likely points deduction next season.

It was also reported yesterday that Everton might also get points deduction next season.

That said, you have absolutely no connection with Merseyside as far as I can ascertain so probably don't care about the maintenance of the Merseyside derby.
    I married a plastic scouser. Pre plague I often spent £20k a year following Liverpool.

In what sense do you have a link with Liverpool? You weren't born there, you have never lived there, and your family don't come from there. Your only link is by marriage seemingly. Some might say you are just a glory grabber!
    I’m a child of the 80s.

Only chance I had to watch football was on the TV, in those days you had like 12 matches on TV, mostly Liverpool.

No, because you only get one chance. Even glory grabbers don't move from team to team. That would make the whole thing pointless.
    You make a half-decent case, but 'because they were big when I started watching football' is never going to elicit much sympathy.
    The order of respect that people will give you for the team you support - and don't pretend you don't know this, deep down - is as follows:
    1) Your local team. (Properly your local team - if you grown up in suburban Stockport, it's Stockport County, not Manchester Utd/City. If you grow up in Urmston and support Manchester United people will allow it, although it takes some of the fun out of it.)
    3) A not particularly good team who you ended up with for an off-beat reason but have nevertheless stuck with (I knew a fella from Lancaster who - with no particular reason to support one team or another - was taken to buy his first football shirt at the age of 8. Who will it be? Blackburn were both Lancastrian AND successful at the time. It was before Morecambe were a league side, but they were close by. Some from school supported teams from Manchester or Liverpool. He gazed happily at the shirts before him, before being called by his father over to the sale bin (the family didn't have much money) and being given a choice of Sheffield United, Middlesbrough or Stoke. Somewhat glumly, he chose Sheffield United. But he stuck with them subsequently and went on to follow them home and away.

Basically, you don't even get to choose. Your team is assigned to you by an almost mystical process. Because watching football is, at bottom, about identity. (If it was about entertainment you'd be watching rugby instead.)

As the grandson of immigrants to this country so I didn’t have much footballing heritage to tap.
    I'm not meaning to have a go, by the way. Every tradition has to start somewhere, and you've clearly invested a lot of time and effort over the years in Liverpool. But supporting a successful team when you're not from that city in particular is never going to elicit a great deal of sympathy. Supporting a successful team when they ARE your local team is never going to get you much sympathy, but at least a little 'oh well, suppose you can't help it'.
    I recall discussing football with TSE and other Liverpool fans on here over a decade ago when Liverpool were on the verge of bankruptcy under Hicks and Gillette.

In those those days Liverpool were about as "successful" as 1990s English Cricket.
    There speaks a fan of the top teams! Regular cup finals, European football and finishing 6th being a bad season is successful! Ask fans of the other 86.....

I'm from Merseyside originally and also a fan of Tranmere Rovers, I've been regularly to both Anfield and Prenton Park in the past. We were relegated out of the Football League altogether for the first time only a few years ago and were relegated most recently due to the shortened Covid19 season in the same season that Liverpool won its Premier League title - so mixed emotions that season, I know as well as any others what its like for the "other teams".

As a fan of Tranmere expectations are different to how they are as a fan of Liverpool. For Tranmere being able to knock out a Premier League club in the FA Cup or League Cup is an incredible success, or avoiding relegation some seasons . . . as a Liverpool fan seeing Manchester United win a dozen league titles while we weren't winning any was not a successful time period.
    If you knew what it was like for fans of the 86, the ones who don't also support a glory club, you would think differently.
    Oh grow up. I don't "also support a glory club", I'm from Merseyside and my entire family is either white and blue or white and red.

Yes, and that's perfectly fairly enough.

However I think you are unique on PB insofar as you are a Liverpool fan who is actually from Merseyside!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Busted flush

We in the west will still buy (expensive) stuff with our hard currency.

In Russia, Vlad, you will have to barter your TV/car/wife for a potato....
    The ultimate humiliation would be to rock up on the border with truck loads of U.K. food aid.
  • Options
    There is some question mark over the date of this skirmish, apparently. I’d have thought the weather conditions would make that puzzle easily solvable
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,795

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I’m a child of the 80s.

Yes, and that's perfect fairly enough.

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I’m a child of the 80s.

Yes, and that's perfectly fairly enough.

FPT

Born in Swindon. When I was starting to get into football we lived equidistant between Town and Southampton. Dad new Swindon as he had served there as a copper, so took me there (weirdly for the first game in the away end).

So I could have had 30+ years of mainly top flight footy, with the odd cup final thrown in. Instead its been a right rollercoaster. I've seen four league titles (three times Division 4, once Div 3), three play-off final wins to gain promotion (and a fair number of play off loses) and nearly reaching the league cup final once.

On the whole I'm happy enough, but some days you wonder...
  • Options

Yorkshire Tea is a God given right to everyone on earth. 😟 I feel more sorry for everyday Russian peoples everyday for whom this isn’t their fault.

I think Putin prefers to swig Meths than tea anyway, so I don’t see how it hurts him.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Why do we think better in the south than the north? - is it terrain (the South is sandier, the north boggier aiui), more hardened personnel, or the proximity of supply lines?
    I've assumed there has been a lot of better kit put into Crimea to make sure it goes nowhere. Easier to supply too.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,759
    Leon said:

Walking up Charlotte St. Generally one of London’s most vibrant streets (“a man could be happy living on Charlotte Street” - Saul Bellow). I remember strolling down here in spring last year and it was desolate. Almost every bar and restaurant shuttered. Some in deep decay. I thought “this will never recover. Or it will take many years”

It has recovered. Already. Apart from a small section above Goodge Street, all the premises are buzzing - either with customers, or the sounds of building work. Several places are brand new

I was in town yesterday and walked from Liverpool Street to the West End in the spring sunshine. The amazing thing is how many interesting new businesses have sprung up, often in the place of dull chains that got the hell of out of dodge when the pandemic hit. I came to the conclusion that the reset might benefit London in the medium term. Emulation has been replaced with innovation upon her fair streets.
  • Options

Yorkshire Tea is a God given right to everyone on earth. 😟 I feel more sorry for everyday Russian peoples everyday for whom this isn’t their fault.

I think Putin prefers to swig Meths than tea anyway, so I don’t see how it hurts him.
    Wouldn’t worry too much about them. They ruin tea with polonium anyway.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Told you last year as well, people always return to the fertile soil at the base of the volcano.

(OK, it's just possible I may have covered different bases at other points, but I definitely said that. Though I bow to your superior agility in that respect ;) )
  • Options

Isn't winning meeting your objectives within budget and timeline? Russia are miles away from winning. That does not mean Ukraine are winning either, in lots of wars there are only losers.
    I’m not the most knowledgeable armchair general on PB (if I was a general I’d be known for falling off the horse on parade) so please correct me where wrong. But I think our media have been misleading us a bit on how badly this is going for Russia, because The whole Map they keep showing with zilch movement on it doesn’t have to turn red does it, progress is about taking key bits of infrastructure, like power and energy, ports, airports and cities? Getting the population out the country is in their favour, so this quietish period last few days could be to empty Ukraine of people, work on logistics and replenishment, and move into position for siege and squeeze on the cities all at the same time, has been their plan last few days? ☹️
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,096
    That’ll do wonders for post-sanctions recovery:

Putin just greenlit Russia’s nationalization campaign. Foreign companies that leave could (will?) find their properties seized and placed under “external management.”

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1501935395092631556
  • Options

He is said not to drink

Russians know a lot about tea, and grow a lot of it. This will only hit boutique hotels in Moscow
  • Options

Leon said:

I was in town yesterday and walked from Liverpool Street to the West End in the spring sunshine. The amazing thing is how many interesting new businesses have sprung up, often in the place of dull chains that got the hell of out of dodge when the pandemic hit. I came to the conclusion that the reset might benefit London in the medium term. Emulation has been replaced with innovation upon her fair streets.
    I agree. This weekend we were struck by all the queues for new little restaurants and bars. The whole place has renewed itself, as it always does.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,687
    Leon said:

House hunting atm and I can tell you - unfortunately from my pov - that the London market is red hot. Houses in 'good' areas are going in no time. Houses esp, not so much flats.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Flatlander FPT:

For added fun - a bigger drone that can carry 20-30Kg is a few thousand pounds. Bolt an NLAW to the drone, rig camera on the sight....

I'm not saying that would be a trivial task..... but the kind of electronics mad hobbyists I have come across could do that, I think....

Your own DIY UCAV....
  • Options

Putin just greenlit Russia’s nationalization campaign. Foreign companies that leave could (will?) find their properties seized and placed under “external management.”

He should ask Venezuela how they got on trying to operate the kit they confiscated.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

So it will be Z-Cola, Z-Donalds, Z-evis, Z-bucks, Z-phone....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,048
    biggles said:

Flatlander FPT:

Yes, jamming all of the usual frequencies and GPS would seem to be the obvious thing to do. Maybe they just don't have much of that kind of kit? It is indeed a bit weird.

A proper military version of the consumer drone would presumably include frequency hopping and wouldn't worry much about OFCOM, but I'm not sure that's what we are seeing here.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,893

Kira Rudik, Ukr, MP: "There is no peace with Putin because even his small words of promise to let women and children out of a starving city are lies"

TV interview at:

So I guess from that it's the Ukrainian side holding up the ceasefire talks? She says in the interview 'We cannot get into an agreement with Putin'. The rest of it is an impassioned call for NFZ. It seems that the Ukrainian Government thinks it has a fairly good chance of involving NATO, so is perhaps a little lukewarm about a negotiated settlement that could result in giving up at least some Ukrainian influence/territory.

Pick the ethical bones out of that one.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

I’m not the most knowledgeable armchair general on PB (if I was a general I’d be known for falling off the horse on parade) so please correct me where wrong. But I think our media have been misleading us a bit on how badly this is going for Russia, because The whole Map they keep showing with zilch movement on it doesn’t have to turn red does it, progress is about taking key bits of infrastructure, like power and energy, ports, airports and cities? Getting the population out the country is in their favour, so this quietish period last few days could be to empty Ukraine of people, work on logistics and replenishment, and move into position for siege and squeeze on the cities all at the same time, has been their plan last few days? ☹️
    Non-combatants leaving strengthens the defenders on balance.
  • Options
    biggles said:

"One lump or two?"
  • Options
    edited March 2022

biggles said:

Flatlander FPT:

Yes, jamming all of the usual frequencies and GPS would seem to be the obvious thing to do. Maybe they just don't have much of that kind of kit? It is indeed a bit weird.

A proper military version of the consumer drone would presumably include frequency hopping and wouldn't worry much about OFCOM, but I'm not sure that's what we are seeing here.
    Also, lets not forget that Russia have been in Syria where ISIS used similar tactics of using commercially available drones. You would have thought that would have got the Russian military to come up with a solution.

But, then everybody knows all their tanks are vulnerable to these shoulder launched missiles and all they have done is put cages on a limited number, which apparently do the square root of f##k all unless its an old school RPG. All these modern systems a) are too powerful and cut through the cage and b) have two charges so even if the cage was to stop it, its blows the cage and then the tank.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,617
    On a note connected to the header, has the Trumpite right fcuked it? I’d thought their support was immune to everything short of Trump dressing up in an SS uniform and taking a dump on the steps of the Lincoln memorial but I think I may have been wrong on that. At least BJ had the low cunning to see which way the wind was blowing, Ukrainian refugees aside.

https://twitter.com/alastairmeeks/status/1501968344328642561?s=21
  • Options

TV interview at:

So I guess from that it's the Ukrainian side holding up the ceasefire talks? She says in the interview 'We cannot get into an agreement with Putin'. The rest of it is an impassioned call for NFZ. It seems that the Ukrainian Government thinks it has a fairly good chance of involving NATO, so is perhaps a little lukewarm about a negotiated settlement that could result in giving up at least some Ukrainian influence/territory.

R4 lunchtime was reporting that the problem is with Russian shelling and shooting up convoys.

Would you trust anything Putin said?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,534

Pro_Rata said:

I've assumed there has been a lot of better kit put into Crimea to make sure it goes nowhere. Easier to supply too.
    Better cover for ambushes in the cities and forests of the North, compared to the open spaces in the south. Look at this lot in the video. I wouldn't want to be in a convoy near them:

More footage from the fighting around Kyiv earlier today.🇺🇦

Note how nearly every other soldier has some form of anti-tank weaponry - German Panzerfaust 3s, British NLAWs, RPG-7s etc.👇
    https://t.co/sHP0TEjNSg
  • Options
    @IAPonomarenko
    Ukrainian SOF requests immediate tractor support to recover yet another seized Russian Pantsir S1

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501967750855634944
  • Options
    Anyone else note how out of almost nowhere, all of a sudden the Ukrainians are speaking of victory and counter attacks?
    Victory:
    "After the war, after our victory, we will rebuild everything that was destroyed. Very quickly and with very high quality"
    https://twitter.com/UATV_en/status/1501943540338757640

"Good evening,we’re from Ukraine🇺🇦The President,country's leadership,members of the government-all work,in their places.We know how sad its for 🇷🇺.I recommend every russian soldier to follow a russian ship before its too late. BTW 🇺🇦 will accept 🇷🇺 capitulation with understanding" [Head of MoD]
    https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1501949185175654412

Counter Attacks:
    "Zelensky aide Arestovich: Ukr forces have taken Dergachi in Kharkiv oblast. That has driven wedge in Russian formations to north and south around Izyum. "From a military perspective it’s a serious tactical success.... overall situ will switch to Ukraine's favour in near future”"
    https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1501879187640135688

"More footage from the fighting [UKR counter attack] around Kyiv earlier today.🇺🇦
    Note how nearly every other soldier has some form of anti-tank weaponry - German Panzerfaust 3s, British NLAWs, RPG-7s etc.👇"
    https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1501970387567063047

Credit to Phillips O'Brien on twitter for articulating what was bothering me. I wonder if they've seen some juicy intelligence that we haven't?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

@IAPonomarenko
    Ukrainian SOF requests immediate tractor support to recover yet another seized Russian Pantsir S1

Ukranian SoF do seem like the absolute dog bollocks against the Russians.
  • Options
    biggles said:

You've just got to use the radioactive water blend, the one where the red band is replaced with a luminous yellow.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,136

Maria Pevchikh

@pevchikhI would like you to meet Polina Kovaleva. Polina is a 26-year-old glamorous Russian girl from London🇬🇧. She lives in a huge apartment in Kensington and loves to party, her instagram feed looks like a non-stop holiday. That’s not unheard of, but there is one small detail…

Polina is the stepdaughter of Russia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Lavrov.

Hmm. I'm not a great fan of outing random Russians because these things can descend rapidly.
  • Options
    Punters like a longshot win, but sometimes the boring, predictable outcome is every bit as boringly predictable as it looks.

The polling on Macron is really stable. He isn't popular - indeed consistently underwater on approval ratings - but is the TINA candidate and consistently has 25-30% first round support in the polls (indeed picking up lately over Ukraine). He will win the second round at a canter because he owns the centre and the left will hold their noses and vote for him with a right wing opponent, and the right will do so with a left wing one. That's easier if the opponent is Le Pen than Pecresse, but Pecresse is a very underwhelming performer and doesn't give him sleepless nights, I suspect.

Le Pen has long been the dominant figure on the right - she led the first round polls for a while, stumbled while right wingers considered Pecresse and Zemmour, and now has a clear advantage again as neither of those captured the imagination of the waverers.

Melenchon is a decent candidate but a bit of a retread now - a known quantity. Last time, he had a pool of votes to fish in as Hamon's candidature collapsed. Even then, it only took him to fourth (albeit in a blanket finish). This time he's after greens (and isn't the natural choice for them) and a small pool elsewhere on the left. He also has his own Russia problems and, if he even gets close to Le Pen in the polling, the far right will tend to consolidate around her.

So the French elections are exactly what they look like - an inevitable procession towards Macron v Le Pen, with Macron winning pretty comfortably.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,890
    Chilling talk on R4 with journalist who covered Aleppo discussing rumours of planned chemical attack on Kharkiv - "4 year siege ended in 14 days when they pumped in chlorine gas..."
    We didn't enforce the red line back then. Will we now - and will Putin believe us before he resorts to the tactic ?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Pro_Rata said:

Last one for sure given the Crimea, better commanders maybe which is linked to the Russian forces in the Crimea being more professional given than the armies coming from Belarus / Russia. Weather definitely helps. Also, there is far less cover in the south for ambushes vs in the north.
  • Options

Punters like a longshot win, but sometimes the boring, predictable outcome is every bit as boringly predictable as it looks.

The polling on Macron is really stable. He isn't popular - indeed consistently underwater on approval ratings - but is the TINA candidate and consistently has 25-30% first round support in the polls (indeed picking up lately over Ukraine). He will win the second round at a canter because he owns the centre and the left will hold their noses and vote for him with a right wing opponent, and the right will do so with a left wing one. That's easier if the opponent is Le Pen than Pecresse, but Pecresse is a very underwhelming performer and doesn't give him sleepless nights, I suspect.

Le Pen has long been the dominant figure on the right - she led the first round polls for a while, stumbled while right wingers considered Pecresse and Zemmour, and now has a clear advantage again as neither of those captured the imagination of the waverers.

Melenchon is a decent candidate but a bit of a retread now - a known quantity. Last time, he had a pool of votes to fish in as Hamon's candidature collapsed. Even then, it only took him to fourth (albeit in a blanket finish). This time he's after greens (and isn't the natural choice for them) and a small pool elsewhere on the left. He also has his own Russia problems and, if he even gets close to Le Pen in the polling, the far right will tend to consolidate around her.

So the French elections are exactly what they look like - an inevitable procession towards Macron v Le Pen, with Macron winning pretty comfortably.

Might make the parliamentary elections more interesting though? Buyers’ remorse?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,192
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

House hunting atm and I can tell you - unfortunately from my pov - that the London market is red hot. Houses in 'good' areas are going in no time. Houses esp, not so much flats.
    In SE1 last 12 months, 47 houses sold vs 368 flats so houses are not really the main market, unless you are close to getting sanctioned.....

Only 4 detached houses sold in SE1 in the last 5 years according to Zoopla!
  • Options
    Jaw dropping article on Putin's state of mind and isolation and mad beliefs that only he can save Russia.

How Vladimir Putin Lost Interest in the Present
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/opinion/putin-russia-ukraine.html
  • Options
    There is some question mark over the date, apparently. I’d have thought the weather conditions would make that puzzle easily

Leon said:

Yes. Exactly my impression

Lots of boring chain coffee shops and the like have disappeared. Replaced by “Mongolian wine bars” and “Nepalese bubble tea boutiques”

So parts of london are actually looking MORE attractive and diverse than they did pre-plague
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Chilling talk on R4 with journalist who covered Aleppo discussing rumours of planned chemical attack on Kharkiv - "4 year siege ended in 14 days when they pumped in chlorine gas..."
    We didn't enforce the red line back then. Will we now - and will Putin believe us before he resorts to the tactic ?

I think we’d still want to avoid WW3, but I can’t seen anyone opposing giving the Russia the full NK isolation treatment.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,833

You've forgotten Z Cars. (One for the older generation....)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,893
    edited March 2022

TV interview at:

R4 lunchtime was reporting that the problem is with Russian shelling and shooting up convoys.

No, I don't trust anything either side says automatically. But this is what the lady being interviewed is saying. She clearly says there can be no agreement with Putin. Yes, she alleges bad faith, which both sides are doing. But the statement clearly there is that Ukraine are delaying. It not, what's their formal response to Russia's demands? Even if (as would be justified) that response is 'no, no and no'.

EDIT

Sorry, I misread the thrust of your post, which is that she is right not to trust him - sure I agree. But that doesn't mean you stop negotiating with him. Allegations of bad faith and continuing violence (probably true allegations) are pretty standard in peace negotiations aren't they?
  • Options

Back to Everton?
  • Options

TV interview at:

They know Putin has to be beaten if they're to have a future, and they have the balls to fight him.

Слава Україні
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    If this is correct, this is becoming a shit show for Russia:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501965708674093058

• Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,973

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

In SE1 last 12 months, 47 houses sold vs 368 flats so houses are not really the main market, unless you are close to getting sanctioned.....

Only 4 detached houses sold in SE1 in the last 5 years according to Zoopla!
    How many detached houses are there in SE1? Can’t be very many!
  • Options

Are we back on to Everton?
  • Options

TV interview at:

No, I don't trust anything either side says automatically. But this is what the lady being interviewed is saying. She clearly says there can be no agreement with Putin. Yes, she alleges bad faith, which both sides are doing. But the statement clearly there is that Ukraine are delaying. It not, what's their formal response to Russia's demands? Even if (as would be justified) that response is 'no, no and no'.
    "Russia’s negotiators appeared to be working at least in part in the dark [...]“The Ukrainians say, ‘what do you want?’ We say, ‘we want Ukraine to declare neutrality!’ The Ukrainians say, ‘great, what wording should we use?’ And our guys have no idea,” one of the people said."

https://www.ft.com/content/d9309ade-f9b7-4dba-b65c-6e4e55356a00
  • Options
    MrEd said:

I liked this caption:

• Options

Maria Pevchikh

Hmm. I'm not a great fan of outing random Russians because these things can descend rapidly.
    She’s not a “random Russian” she’s the daughter of Lavrov’s mistress who has afforded a £4 million apartment with no obvious source of wealth.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,136
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

There is some question mark over the date, apparently. I’d have thought the weather conditions would make that puzzle easily

Leon said:

Lots of boring chain coffee shops and the like have disappeared. Replaced by “Mongolian wine bars” and “Nepalese bubble tea boutiques”

So parts of london are actually looking MORE attractive and diverse than they did pre-plague
    Bubble tea is everywhere. No idea what it is but there are shops springing up all over the place, even out here in the suburbs.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,346
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I never had any doubt that London would bounce back. It has a vitality that can't be tamed. If the pandemic cleared out some boring businesses and boring people (moving to the sticks, not dying) so much the better. I am really looking forward to summer in the city, there is so much going on especially here in SE London.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,833

Leon said:

Leon said:

Bubble tea is everywhere. No idea what it is but there are shops springing up all over the place.
    I don't know what bubble tea is either.
    But maybe it's popular because it's easy to wrap?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I never had any doubt that London would bounce back. It has a vitality that can't be tamed. If the pandemic cleared out some boring businesses and boring people (moving to the sticks, not dying) so much the better. I am really looking forward to summer in the city, there is so much going on especially here in SE London.
    If anything it feels more youthful than before. It is the young who have flooded back. In numbers

As they should
  • Options
    R Dean Taylor has died aged 82

And confounded my expectations by turning out to have been white all along
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,534

Leon said:

Leon said:

Bubble tea is everywhere. No idea what it is but there are shops springing up all over the place.
    I think it just a speculative innovation.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

@IAPonomarenko

Cant tell, but it looks abandoned, possibly after getting stuck. I would have thought that equipment like this would be maned by professional solders not conscripts.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Is there now another ghost in his house?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,346
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

We got a letter through our door from an estate agent, buyers with £1.8mn budget wanting to buy in our neighbourhood (the posh bit of SE14), had we thought of selling etc. It seems that the London property market is definitely back, unfortunately. You're right, flats are not selling fast, spoke to an estate agent who had properties in the same neighbourhood that had been on his books for a year.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Is there now another ghost in his house?
    Indiana has got him
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,773

Leon said:

Leon said:

From what I can ascertain, it’s basically sugar.

Popular with kids, obviously.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Plenty of things like that floating around, here's a new video showing another 6+ Russian tanks knocked out today: https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1501975942377484299. The Russian losses are staggering, and their cope cages aren't saving them.

Seems like Ukr tank hunting patrols are doing very well. Meanwhile the Russians keep reusing footage of the same handful of Ukr tanks.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,560
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If anything it feels more youthful than before. It is the young who have flooded back. In numbers

As they should
    Maybe you've just got older in the past two years.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,973
    biggles said:

Flatlander FPT:

Would you stick a “shoot me!” sign on your mobile armour for any passing anti-radiation missile to target in this environment?

(That said, the Chechens down in the south have claimed some success with jamming Ukranian drones.)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Did Indiana finally get him?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,791
    Farooq said:

TV interview at:

The ethics are very, very easy. Russia is wrong, and its soldiers either need to fuck off or die.
    Absolutely. What's your plan.

Ethics can be comforting because they provide a comfort blanket (just war, throw the invaders out, disarm dictators, etc) but work both ways. I don't think they are "very, very easy".
This discussion has been closed.