Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The French election: Mélenchon to make the runoff looks a value bet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,763
edited March 2022 in General
imageThe French election: Mélenchon to make the runoff looks a value bet – politicalbetting.com

All he needs to do is to make Jadot a nice offer and he will be in strong running. On the assumption he accrues all the Jadot voteshare (and none of anyone else’s, such as Poutou’s), he will be 5% ahead of 3rd-placed Le Pen (Ipsos), 0.5% behind her and 2.5% ahead of 4th-placed Pécresse (Ifop), and 2% behind her and 3% ahead of Pécresse (OpinionWay). Zemmour and Pécresse would be out of the running, going by all three polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,447
    First
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327
    edited March 2022
    Not first. Someone at the gathering reckoned laying Melenchon is a safe bet.

To be fair, he’s be unlikely to win the runoff if he made it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think the purpose of the bet is that he sneaks down the middle as Le Pen, Zemmour and Pécresse steal just enough votes off each other to know them into 3-5 places.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,511
    If the world or at least Europe gets to the French Presidential election i will not care who wins but be surprised
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,992
    mwadams said:

Does my writing a comment cause a new thread to spawn automatically now?

Apparently not.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,355
    FPT:
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

It's nice that it's 18.07 and still fairly light.

I hope that will help improve everyone's mood as things go on. This has been a very tough winter.

Must be cloudier here as it’s pretty dark, but I agree with the sentiment.
    Still not completely dark in Dorset at 18:26.

(I'm hoping that glow on the horizon signals the dying sun, not the dying civilisation.
    From Dorset, civilisation will be well over the horizon ;)
    Fair Point. OTOH no point in incinerating us then.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,182
    ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

Does my writing a comment cause a new thread to spawn automatically now?

Apparently not.
    It was worth testing though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

Bugger were you there? Sorry to have missed you.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

First. Someone at the gathering reckoned laying Melenchon is a safe bet.

That's the great thing about betting - it is all based on punters having different views.
    Like History, except apparently in the minds of certain Tory supporters.
  • Options
    It does not sound good if the Israeli PM meets Putin then tells Israelis to leave.

Hopefully we are not getting to the stage of hearing our leaders (cowardly) going to undisclosed locations
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,190
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

That's the great thing about betting - it is all based on punters having different views.
    Incidentally - from the last thread "As for Aber, its history degree (such as it is) is now offered via Interpol"

Now I have visions of History being taught at Aberdeen by Reinhard Heydrich.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,724

FPT:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

It's nice that it's 18.07 and still fairly light.

I hope that will help improve everyone's mood as things go on. This has been a very tough winter.

Must be cloudier here as it’s pretty dark, but I agree with the sentiment.
    Still not completely dark in Dorset at 18:26.

(I'm hoping that glow on the horizon signals the dying sun, not the dying civilisation.
    From Dorset, civilisation will be well over the horizon ;)
    Fair Point. OTOH no point in incinerating us then.
    I reckon we are both good places to be, given prevailing SW winds
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Incidentally - from the last thread "As for Aber, its history degree (such as it is) is now offered via Interpol"

Now I have visions of History being taught at Aberdeen by Reinhard Heydrich.....
    I wonder if they teach about Operation Anthropoid?
  • Options

My irony meter just died.

(Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry called on European Union and NATO countries to "stop pumping weapons" to Ukraine -RIA

It said Moscow was particularly worried that portable anti-aerial Stinger missiles could end up in the hands of terrorists, posing a threat to airlines.

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1500173979893608450

Some of us remember MH17.

But I take this to mean the war situation has developed not necessarily to Russia's advantage.

It is worth noting that every single attack on a civil aircraft by people using MANPADS (and there have been quite a few) has been with Russian weapons or Chinese copies.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,636

It does not sound good if the Israeli PM meets Putin then tells Israelis to leave.

Hopefully we are not getting to the stage of hearing our leaders (cowardly) going to undisclosed locations

I think he might be there to give advice on how to run an occupation. Another sign of Putin's cluelessness. Evidence of this rather mounting now.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    For all those who bang on about Putin will get ousted or even get refused when ordering a nuclear attack , just think if that would happen on the Uk side - If Boris ordered a nuclear strike it woudl be obeyed (in fact who knows if he has already in the standing orders in the subs) . People need to get real and realise the world is at a brink and needs to deescalate this not inflame anymore, The BBC showing footage of downing Russian helicoptors is not helping
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Interpol means the Department of International Politics.

HYUFD seems to think that anything with the name Department in it means it's a department when the important thing to check is who is in charge of the Department and there is (as far as I can see) a distinct lack of a named Head of Department for history there
  • Options

(Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry called on European Union and NATO countries to "stop pumping weapons" to Ukraine -RIA

It said Moscow was particularly worried that portable anti-aerial Stinger missiles could end up in the hands of terrorists, posing a threat to airlines.

But I take this to mean the war situation has developed not necessarily to Russia's advantage.

Isn’t the irony that Russia is doing more than anyone to pump Ukraine full of weapons?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I wonder if they teach about Operation Anthropoid?
    Well, "Teaching history from the personal point of view"* would be covered.

*My youngest really likes the whole get immersed-and-see-it-from-the-personal-point-of-view thing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

I was, but I’m sure there will be more opportunities to come.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Well, there are still some medievalists there - Bjorn Weiler and Phillipp Schofield (not *that* Phillipp Schofield). And they have I believe just appointed a new German studies lecturer after the last one went out with a bang during the merger by effectively telling the management they were a bunch of retards. To their faces. In his interview...he always was a legend, but even more so after that.

But it's been badly hit by being subsumed. Numbers have cratered and student satisfaction has dropped off a cliff.

Which is a shame, as it was quite a good history department (and I don't say that just because I taught there for three years). Unfortunately when it needed help it didn't have any powerful friends in the hierarchy and had made rather too many powerful enemies.

What we're seeing at Aber though is being replicated in many unis elsewhere. The new A-level is largely to blame, but the atrocious quality of the GCSE course doesn't help.

Both of those are unfortunate as it didn't have to be that way. The ideas had potential, if they had listened to the experts on practicalities.

Unfortunately, this is a government that likes plausible, arrogant and rather stupid liars. Not experts. And it shows in more fields than education.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,500

For all those who bang on about Putin will get ousted or even get refused when ordering a nuclear attack , just think if that would happen on the Uk side - If Boris ordered a nuclear strike it woudl be obeyed (in fact who knows if he has already in the standing orders in the subs) . People need to get real and realise the world is at a brink and needs to deescalate this not inflame anymore, The BBC showing footage of downing Russian helicoptors is not helping

How the heck can we deescalate? If you think Putin is mad enough to launch nuclear weapons (esp. outside Ukraine), then we might as well let him roll over the entirety of eastern Europe. And even then, he'd find some grievance to go further.

What is your plan?
  • Options

I recall a brilliant skit from Chris Rock - his friends are giving him stick for livening in a Jewish neighbourhood. He points out - "These guys - they have a really good sense for when it's time to get the fuck out of town".
  • Options

We are about 31 Kilotons from that state of affairs.
  • Options
    Some cats at Anfield tonight.

• Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Good analysis, Melenchon getting some of Jadot's vote and making the runoff on only 15-16% of the vote is an entirely plausible scenario.

Pécresse has had a complete shocker of a campaign.

That said I think Macron easily beats Melenchon/Le Pen/Pecresse in the runoff by 60-40 and Zemmour by 65-35.
  • Options

How the heck can we deescalate? If you think Putin is mad enough to launch nuclear weapons (esp. outside Ukraine), then we might as well let him roll over the entirety of eastern Europe. And even then, he'd find some grievance to go further.

What is your plan?
    my plan is to survive with my family and with a country to survive in. Thats it - When it comes to it thats what most people want - they do not actually care about the rights and wrongs of Ukraine (30 years ago Ukraine's army would be threatening us as part of the USSR) . i suggest we say there needs to be a negotiation (sod twitter warriors and virtue signallers) and as part of that we are pausing sending in any weapons and further sanctions
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Hope so. Excellent evening, great to meet all the PBers I did meet.
  • Options

Reverse angle.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

What is your plan?
    I think his plan is that NATO countries replace their armed forces with a recorded message saying "We surrender" in Russian.
  • Options

Why do you want to censor our media and play into Putin hands

We have to stand strong with Ukraine and all NATO states and not role over to a war criminal

I am very pleased with the measures the UK - EU - US - NATO are taking and it is time we came in behind them all

Each has had an important input to this crisis and I hope that finally this will bring us all together in unity

It is also time to stop UK - good EU - bad and vice versa as it is simply divisive and plays into Putin's agenda
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,823

What is your plan?
    "But Tsar Alexander made it all the way to Paris!" - Stalin after the capture of Berlin in 1945.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,582
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I would say Marxists are more guilty of that than Conservatives.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

One PBer of my acquaintance declined to attend these functions because he found it diffiult to be rude to people he had actually met socially.

May I assure you that I have no such compunction. :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Well, there are still some medievalists there - Bjorn Weiler and Phillipp Schofield (not *that* Phillipp Schofield). And they have I believe just appointed a new German studies lecturer after the last one went out with a bang during the merger by effectively telling the management they were a bunch of retards. To their faces. In his interview...he always was a legend, but even more so after that.

But it's been badly hit by being subsumed. Numbers have cratered and student satisfaction has dropped off a cliff.

Which is a shame, as it was quite a good history department (and I don't say that just because I taught there for three years). Unfortunately when it needed help it didn't have any powerful friends in the hierarchy and had made rather too many powerful enemies.

What we're seeing at Aber though is being replicated in many unis elsewhere. The new A-level is largely to blame, but the atrocious quality of the GCSE course doesn't help.

Both of those are unfortunate as it didn't have to be that way. The ideas had potential, if they had listened to the experts on practicalities.

Unfortunately, this is a government that likes plausible, arrogant and rather stupid liars. Not experts. And it shows in more fields than education.
    Interesting - my eldest is doing history GCSE and is actually learning history. Mind you, it is a private school..... We were discussing Hungary '56 and Czech '68 and she was coming up with parallels with Ukraine and why Putin wants to dominate the place - that was her, not from me.

That seemed way better than the history that was shovelled at me back in the mid 80s...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

One PBer of my acquaintance declined to attend these functions because he found it diffiult to be rude to people he had actually met socially.

It was great to meet you, even if your attire was not as advertised.
  • Options

Shows how quickly things move on. It took a lot of googling to work out what that’s about!
  • Options

We have to stand strong with Ukraine and all NATO states and not role over to a war criminal

I am very pleased with the measures the UK - EU - US - NATO are taking and it is time we came in behind them all

Each has had an important input to this crisis and I hope that finally this will bring us all together in unity

It is also time to stop UK - good EU - bad and vice versa as it is simply divisive and plays into Putin's agenda
    well I fundamentally disagree- Please get it into your heads (those that want to pursue this war) that you can not always win or good will always win. This is a situation where if Russia loses the world is on the brink - It needs (and Putin because he will not get toppled) a face saver . one can be done ,always one can be done but you have to try. All wars end at some point , the earlier the better especially in this case for EVERYONE
  • Options
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I would say Marxists are more guilty of that than Conservatives.
    Yes, but that's hardly helpful. 'Zahawi orders no teaching of political views, but that's OK as Lenin and Stalin had their critics shot' doesn't really help. In fact, if that's the only comparison that favours the Tories we're in an even bigger mess than I realised.
  • Options

Reverse angle.

Significance of cats in this context?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Isn’t the irony that Russia is doing more than anyone to pump Ukraine full of weapons?
    Ah, they say. But ours don't actually work, so they are quite safe from terrorists.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,563
    It is possible Melenchon could get to the runoff if all the leftwing vote largely unites behind him while the rightwing vote remains split between Zemmour, Le Pen and Pecresse.

However Macron would like crush Melenchon in the runoff. The latest poll from Ipsos has Macron trouncing Melenchon 67% to 33% with most Pecresse voters voting for Macron in that scenario.

That is an even bigger margin than the 66% to 34% Macron beats Zemmour by, the 64% to 36% Macron beats Pecresse by and the 59% to 41% Macron beats Le Pen by

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1500043703968219138?s=20&t=V6awcI0GHOnhd8dyc7VLww
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Reverse angle.

Kurt Zouma. I’d forgotten all about it, to be honest.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting - my eldest is doing history GCSE and is actually learning history. Mind you, it is a private school..... We were discussing Hungary '56 and Czech '68 and she was coming up with parallels with Ukraine and why Putin wants to dominate the place - that was her, not from me.

That seemed way better than the history that was shovelled at me back in the mid 80s...
    It isn't the content that bothers me. As you say, it's much better. I was delighted when I saw it, thinking this would be a vast improvement on the MWH and SHP bullshit (that genuinely was warmed up Marxist nonsense mostly based on historical research 50 years out of date).

The problem is the assessments, which bear even less of a resemblance to good historical practice than Eric Morecambe's piano playing did to the right notes.
  • Options

What is your plan?
    my plan is to survive with my family and with a country to survive in. Thats it - When it comes to it thats what most people want - they do not actually care about the rights and wrongs of Ukraine (30 years ago Ukraine's army would be threatening us as part of the USSR) . i suggest we say there needs to be a negotiation (sod twitter warriors and virtue signallers) and as part of that we are pausing sending in any weapons and further sanctions
    That's what you do once you've shipped in at least a 4 weeks worth of the (defensive) weapons we are sending them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Reverse angle.

The West Ham player Kurt Zouma was recently videoed kicking cats.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

You are entitled to your own views, not your own facts. History at its best is empirical and factual above all
  • Options

Reverse angle.

Apparently a plane flew a message over the ground - 'Cats Lives Matter'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

You are entitled to your own views, not your own facts. History at its best is empirical and factual above all
    The irony of that post, Hyufd, is that my view is based on the facts, and yours is based on your political opinions.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Interpol means the Department of International Politics.

HYUFD seems to think that anything with the name Department in it means it's a department when the important thing to check is who is in charge of the Department and there is (as far as I can see) a distinct lack of a named Head of Department for history there
    Thank you.

And in the interests of education....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6j4aB5ekm0
  • Options
    I am sure a lot of you have seen this from a few years ago but its a reminder of how quickly things get out of hand in war between nuclear states -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAZZR_Jki0

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,354

Exactly. Too many people have been watching movies. What do you think happens to someone in the Russian military who refuses a direct order from Putin? Clue: it’s not a referral to HR
  • Options

well I fundamentally disagree- Please get it into your heads (those that want to pursue this war) that you can not always win or good will always win. This is a situation where if Russia loses the world is on the brink - It needs (and Putin because he will not get toppled) a face saver . one can be done ,always one can be done but you have to try. All wars end at some point , the earlier the better especially in this case for EVERYONE
    You do not win by rolling over to a bully

He has to be challenged and made to realise he cannot succeed in his war and the crimes he is committing

Russia cannot win this and the best hope is for an internal coup

Appeasement does not work
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

If this government is giving more of our school pupils a ground in factual history and not just Marxist theories all to the good.

If we have fewer history departments but history departments doing more traditional empirical, research led history that is no bad thing either
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,011
    Ukrainians present Russian prisoners of war to the press.

NY Times

Misstep by Ukr. This is against Geneva I think? Although bit of a grey area.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

It was great to meet you, even if your attire was not as advertised.
    Lol!

Nice to meet you too. Sorry about the feather boa - in the wash. :(
  • Options

NY Times

its stupid as well as against the law- FFS this just inflames home opinion back in Russsia
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,833
    FPT
    mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

BREAKING: Israeli Prime Minister Bennett flew to Moscow in secret during Shabbat and is currently meeting with Russian President Putin.

https://twitter.com/avimayer/status/1500150119173443584

Now... that is interesting.

That suggests that the Russians would like to talk about how to end the war.
    The Israel PM must have gotten some bad news from Putin on his trip there...

Update: The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs urges its citizens in Russia to leave the country immediately.

https://twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1500152639304122380
    I sense it’s building up to something bigger now. Biden and Boris may be letting allies know they can’t just sit by and watch this massacre they are going to intervene.
    I don't think so. This is governments warning their citizens to leave Russia before martial law is imposed.
    Yes. It must be agony for dual nationality families living in Russia, of which there are many. Can't leave as a family because of visa rules (courtesy of the home office), plus Russians may have difficulties exiting the country anyway. My heart breaks when I think about it.

• Options

It's all game theory innit. If we step gingerly back and sue for peace because Vlad has Ther Bomb that encourages North Korea to beef up its army and invade SK knowing SK will receive no international support of any kind because Ther Bomb.
  • Options

NY Times

As Russia has repeatedly said it's not at war, do these count as PoWs or as unregistered aliens?
  • Options

NY Times

Well, I suppose if Putin is arguing they are all one Nation....but it's not a good look.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,636

I relate to your anxiety but I've made a concerted effort to really think it through and I don't think the risk of nuclear war - although it's not zero - is as big as you are perceiving it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

He has to be challenged and made to realise he cannot succeed in his war and the crimes he is committing

soundbite stuff and not the real reality of a nuclear filled Russia
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,500

What is your plan?
    So when Putin uses the same threats for his next demand? And his next? When he decides to use nukes anyway, because we've not done everything he wanted?

We are in a terrible position. Russia and Ukraine are in a worse position. If Putin does decide to use nuclear weapons, it will not be our fault, in any way. It will be his.

And God help us all.
  • Options
    I do like this notion of "factual history" being bandied about. One of the things I find most interesting about aechaeology is how often it demonstrates that the "facts" of "factual history" can't quite be right...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Reverse angle.

The West Ham player Kurt Zouma was recently videoed kicking cats.
    Ah thanks
  • Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P7YR6WICIAI
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

The irony of that post, Hyufd, is that my view is based on the facts, and yours is based on your political opinions.
    Surely everyone knows that the only facts that HYUFD cares about are whatever is in today’s missive from Bozo central office.

Thankfully the missives are daily as otherwise he would need to believe multiple different things before lunchtime.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Aber (in general) has been run oddly for a while - I seem to remember they lost a couple of senior compsci types in the early 10s…
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

No, your view is based on your opinions. Too many history departments have been infected with Marxist interpretations of history since the 1960s rather than traditional empirical fact based history.

If this Conservative government is doing conservative things in education all to the good, that is what it won a majority for in 2019. If you want to change things you will need to elect a Labour led government as you failed to do in 2019
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

NY Times

Do we know how many POWs they presented?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

What is your plan?
    That's what you do once you've shipped in at least a 4 weeks worth of the (defensive) weapons we are sending them.
    make it two and stop now for the world's sake. I doubt there is another two weeks to play with .
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    mwadams said:

I do like this notion of "factual history" being bandied about. One of the things I find most interesting about aechaeology is how often it demonstrates that the "facts" of "factual history" can't quite be right...

I don't.

But then, what do I know? I'm only an historian with 7 articles and 2 books plus fifteen years' experience of teaching. Apparently everything I know is wrong because the opinions of a lot of fat posh Tories are that it must be.

Apparently that also makes me left wing - which is ironic because it's my disdain for the attitude of the Tory government that's driving me to Labour, not so much my political views.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

No, your view is based on your opinions. Too many history departments have been infected with Marxist interpretations of history since the 1960s rather than traditional empirical fact based history.

If this Conservative government is doing conservative things in education all to the good, that is what it won a majority for in 2019. If you want to change things you will need to elect a Labour led government as you failed to do in 2019
    But 55% did not vote for the Tories - hardly a democratic mandate
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,302
    IshmaelZ said:

It's all game theory innit. If we step gingerly back and sue for peace because Vlad has Ther Bomb that encourages North Korea to beef up its army and invade SK knowing SK will receive no international support of any kind because Ther Bomb.
    If we think the Russian Army is antiquated.
    Can't wait to see what the NK make of Seoul.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

No, your view is based on your opinions.
    Genuine LOL.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I relate to your anxiety but I've made a concerted effort to really think it through and I don't think the risk of nuclear war - although it's not zero - is as big as you are perceiving it.
    well thats just a question of laying the odds - The odds i see are scary and need to concentrate the mind
  • Options
    Foss said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Aber (in general) has been run oddly for a while - I seem to remember they lost a couple of senior compsci types in the early 10s…
    I remember when I was teaching there the Treasurer who had invested much money in Icelandic banks was invited to leave the premises.

The security staff were I gather polite but insistent...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,505
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Surely everyone knows that the only facts that HYUFD cares about are whatever is in today’s missive from Bozo central office.

Thankfully the missives are daily as otherwise he would need to believe multiple different things before lunchtime.
    I would have thought that HYUFD of all people would know that 1066 andf all that is a piss-take of Our Island Story -and actually rather better at times, e.g. the Irish and the Irish Question (still the best summary in my view, and only strengthened by recent events).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Genuine LOL.
    That is so funny
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

If we think the Russian Army is antiquated.
    Can't wait to see what the NK make of Seoul.
    Who knows? I am sure NK army officers keep the tyres on their vehicles serviceable, on pain of being shot.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,266
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

So... "politics shouldn't interfere with education, that's why I celebrate a Conservative government doing conservative things in schools."

Slow hand clap.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,823

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

56.4% in fact.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,720

NY Times

Albeit better than shooting them, as was the customary practice in 1941.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

soundbite stuff and not the real reality of a nuclear filled Russia
    You are right in that things are risky - my own view is Putin could easily order a tactical nuclear strike on a minor town to demonstrate he would use nuclear weapons and scare the west / force Ukraine to surrender - but bear in mind, Putin may also be concerned that ordering the use of nuclear weapons triggers a move against him.

If the reports that anti-war elements in the FSB leaked details of the assassination plot, then it’s clear there are at least some elements in the Russian security apparatus who are against the war. If there was any inkling nukes were about to be used, good chance that triggers a move against Putin.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Genuine LOL.
    That is so funny
    I wonder if he'd consider going into stand up with me?

We could come on and I would say something bland and uncontroversial like 'water is wet.'

Then he could shout 'No! Boris has declared water is dry! Therefore it is the driest thing ever!'

And I could reply, 'but it's still wet...'

We would have to spend time with each other, which we haven't done for years, but we could make a fortune very fast.
    Do you remember History Today with Rob Newman and David Baddiel?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

NY Times

Is it? I'm no legal expert and could well be wrong, but I thought that it was against the Geneva Convention to Humiliate them, (and a few other things) but I don't think presenting them to the press is not necessarily Humiliation, depending on the context.
  • Options

NY Times

Here is an entIrely serious question. As Russia has not formally declared war and considers what it is doing to be a police action, and the Ukrainians are fighting a defensive action without ever having formally declared war either, are the combatants covered by the Geneva Convention?

As I am not a lawyer, I'm asking because I want to know the answer.

I wondered if the Falklands War at least (where war was never formally declared) should provide precedent, but in that case Britain had a UN Resolution covering its actions, which Ukraine does not. So I'm not sure it does.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

NY Times

Is it? I'm no legal expert and could well be wrong, but I thought that it was against the Geneva Convention to Humiliate them, (and a few other things) but I don't think presenting them to the press is not necessarily Humiliation, depending on the context.
    whatever the legalities the bigger picture is how it is seen in Russia by ordinary Russians - It can only turn them against the west
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,266

NY Times

Yes:

"prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity"

I hope they don't do this again.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Genuine LOL.
    That is so funny
    I wonder if he'd consider going into stand up with me?

We could come on and I would say something bland and uncontroversial like 'water is wet.'

Then he could shout 'No! Boris has declared water is dry! Therefore it is the driest thing ever!'

And I could reply, 'but it's still wet...'

We would have to spend time with each other, which we haven't done for years, but we could make a fortune very fast.
    Do you remember History Today with Rob Newman and David Baddiel?
    A bit before my time of being interested, but that sort of idea.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

NY Times

Here is an entIrely serious question. As Russia has not formally declared war and considers what it is doing to be a police action, and the Ukrainians are fighting a defensive action without ever having formally declared war either, are the combatants covered by the Geneva Convention?

I wondered if the Falklands War at least (where war was never formally declared) should provide precedent, but in that case Britain had a UN Resolution covering its actions, which Ukraine does not. So I'm not sure it does.
    Do you mean that the UN resolution in the Falklands War meant we had to behave ourselves? And that without such a resolution potentially Ukraine isn’t under the same obligation?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

NY Times

Do you mean that the UN resolution in the Falklands War meant we had to behave ourselves? And that without such a resolution potentially Ukraine isn’t under the same obligation?
    That's what I'm asking, yes. Not what I mean, because I don't know the answer.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Over 50% have never voted for any governing party since WW2.

The only elected government which has got over 50% was the Tory-LD coalition government of 2010-2015, we have FPTP not PR. As long as you win a majority of seats in the Commons you have a mandate
This discussion has been closed.