Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Time to bet that Le Pen won’t get on the ballot – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,705
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+2)
    CON: 35% (-)
    LDEM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via @Survation, 17 - 21 Feb
    Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Conservatives on 35% in this climate is surprising

Also polled before Putins declaration
    I think the next poll, or polls from this week, will have the Tories down one or two.
    Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were, we are effectively at war with a superpower, they must get a rally round flag bounce. I think it could get very close to crossover for the reasoning I have given, probably Sundays Opinum will show Tory lead because of rally round the flag bounce won’t work well with Opinums attempt to hand labour responses to conservatives to predict next election result.
    I wouldn't think so. There's serious disquiet at several things this week - weak sanctions, Wallace's comments, Tory Russian donors, and Johnson becoming less central to the international debate. Now that the fighting may accelerate, regardless of his earlier tough public stance - and posturing - I think they may be in even more trouble.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

I think the next poll, or polls from this week, will have the Tories down one or two.
    Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were, we are effectively at war with a superpower, Government and Boris ratings must get a rally round flag bounce. I think it could get very close to crossover for the reasoning I have given, probably Sundays Opinum will show Tory lead because of rally round the flag bounce won’t work well with Opinums method to hand labour responses to conservatives to predict next election result.
    The Falklands factor?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,074
    Barnesian said:

Yikes…..that would be interesting..

This would be a serious move...

Ukraine Foreign Minister Kuleba: Negotiations are underway to cover our airspace with NATO forces

https://twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1496539416055230470

Hopefully not, and Ukraine is just talking the talk. That would be utterly crazy.
    If a number of drones were to circle the country providing live intelligence only, would the Russians choose to shoot them down?

I would assume that's what they mean, although it would still be .... dangerous.
    I understand that US drones are already monitoring Ukraine's borders from 50,000 ft.
    Yes, although presumably not over Russian held territory. If an invasion starts, what ground will they consider it safe to over-fly?

Obviously satellites avoid this issue but they don't provide continuous coverage.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    How many cubic metres (or cubic inches) of Russian gas will Germany buy over the next month?
    Nein.

I'll get my cloak
    Not necessary. It's drei out.
  • Options
    1 stone = 14 pounds

I know this, because I just looked it up in World Almanac 2022. One of the reasons I buy the WA each year being so I can look this up whenever someone on PB gives the PM's alleged weight in stone(s).

For Americans, British use of "stone" as measure of weight is quaint olde English-speak.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

Some up to date polling on Russian and Ukrainian attitudes.
    https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2022/02/europe/russia-ukraine-crisis-poll-intl/

Suggests that any plebiscite which was genuine would be very disappointing for Putin, even in the eastern regions.

Russian attitudes are basically imperialist.

Actually there's a lot of nuance there. For example, 45% of East Ukrainians think that Russia and Ukraine are "one people" (vs.28% in Ukraine as a whole and 64% in Russia), but only 18% of East Ukrainians think the two countries should merge (9% in Ukraine as a whole, 34% in Russia). That suggests a lot of East Ukranians feeling cultural identity without wanting to merge. Also interesting that Russians overwhelmingly feel the Soviet Union was a positive thing (by 71%-9%) but so do 34% of Ukrainians (vs 35% who disagree).

It's quite possible that Putin is driving apart two countries with more in common attitudes than is generalised realised.
    That's because a lot of people in East Ukraine speak Russian and think of themselves "ethnically" as Russian. But in terms of which country they want to be in - Ukraine. They are Russian-Ukrainians.

This is about a surprising as the existence of people in the UK who think of themselves "ethnically" as Pakistani and speak a language from that country. But consider themselves British in terms of nationality.
    Barty will be along in a mo to condemn their blood and soil racism
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,666

Barnesian said:

Ukraine Foreign Minister Kuleba: Negotiations are underway to cover our airspace with NATO forces

Hopefully not, and Ukraine is just talking the talk. That would be utterly crazy.
    If a number of drones were to circle the country providing live intelligence only, would the Russians choose to shoot them down?

I would assume that's what they mean, although it would still be .... dangerous.
    I understand that US drones are already monitoring Ukraine's borders from 50,000 ft.
    Yes, although presumably not over Russian held territory. If an invasion starts, what ground will they consider it safe to over-fly?

Obviously satellites avoid this issue but they don't provide continuous coverage.
    Nowadays, how hard is it just to salt non-human intel sources over likely entry paths, such as roads or passes? Cheap cameras feeding into the mobile / satellite networks? Yes, they may soon be taken out, but they could be a dirt cheap form of intel.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,354
    edited February 2022

1 stone = 14 pounds

I know this, because I just looked it up in World Almanac 2022. One of the reasons I buy the WA each year being so I can look this up whenever someone on PB gives the PM's alleged weight in stone(s).

For Americans, British use of "stone" as measure of weight is quaint olde English-speak.

It is to many British people too. I give my weight in stone and still have to remind myself how many pounds in it.

I've probably annoyed the health people though, as I filled out a form yesterday where I gave my height in centimetres and weight in stone.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906

Nigelb said:

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2022/02/europe/russia-ukraine-crisis-poll-intl/

Suggests that any plebiscite which was genuine would be very disappointing for Putin, even in the eastern regions.

Actually there's a lot of nuance there. For example, 45% of East Ukrainians think that Russia and Ukraine are "one people" (vs.28% in Ukraine as a whole and 64% in Russia), but only 18% of East Ukrainians think the two countries should merge (9% in Ukraine as a whole, 34% in Russia). That suggests a lot of East Ukranians feeling cultural identity without wanting to merge. Also interesting that Russians overwhelmingly feel the Soviet Union was a positive thing (by 71%-9%) but so do 34% of Ukrainians (vs 35% who disagree).

It's quite possible that Putin is driving apart two countries with more in common attitudes than is generalised realised.
    That's because a lot of people in East Ukraine speak Russian and think of themselves "ethnically" as Russian. But in terms of which country they want to be in - Ukraine. They are Russian-Ukrainians.

This is about a surprising as the existence of people in the UK who think of themselves "ethnically" as Pakistani and speak a language from that country. But consider themselves British in terms of nationality.
    Or people from Wales who speak English. Doesn't mean they ARE English.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were, we are effectively at war with a superpower, Government and Boris ratings must get a rally round flag bounce. I think it could get very close to crossover for the reasoning I have given, probably Sundays Opinum will show Tory lead because of rally round the flag bounce won’t work well with Opinums method to hand labour responses to conservatives to predict next election result.
    "Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were"

Is this:
    > a complaint?
    > a request?
    > an example of why more and more UKers are becoming reluctant to pay the BBC license fee?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,080
    "What a time I have come, so much excitement", Pakistan PM Imran Khan's first few comments after landing in Moscow, Russia.

https://twitter.com/sidhant/status/1496549375518343169?s=21
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That's the case with most splits, acrimonious or otherwise, I suspect. The modern trend is breakdown into smaller elements, but there's rarely massive differences there. Scotland may well want to be independent, and if it does should be, and there's not zero differences, but it's not miles apart.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were, we are effectively at war with a superpower, they must get a rally round flag bounce. I think it could get very close to crossover for the reasoning I have given, probably Sundays Opinum will show Tory lead because of rally round the flag bounce won’t work well with Opinums attempt to hand labour responses to conservatives to predict next election result.
    I wouldn't think so. There's serious disquiet at several things this week - weak sanctions, Wallace's comments, Tory Russian donors, and Johnson becoming less central to the international debate. Now that the fighting may accelerate, regardless of his earlier tough public stance - and posturing - I think they may be in even more trouble.
    Re Wallace, I still think that was a disastrous attempt to show a bit of ankle to the Tory membership, and I think Rees mogg's bring back the groat initiative is the same. They expect the leadership to be in play soonish.
  • Options
    Champions league final could get interesting.

If UK teams are involved will they refuse to attend?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Tres said:

This idea to reintroduce imperial measures is traffic cone hotlines levels of pathetic from the government.

Reintroduce imperial measures to what? Speed limit signs still show miles per hour, for instance, but champagne can no longer be bought in pints, as Churchill would have had.
    And life has gone on nevertheless. What benefits will occur from this new old path?
    Let consumers choose.

I couldn't care less about imperial, I don't like imperial, but if others do then have free choice.

If there's no consumer demand for imperial, then there'll be no production of it. But if there is, then so be it, let consumers choose.
    Exactly.

(And, by the way, who measures their weight in stones these days?)
    Boris and me, and too many stones in both cases. A vaguely interesting question is why we say "stone" rather than "stones". Americans use pounds, of course, and I've always been both impressed and puzzled by Americans' ability to estimate the weight of strangers in cop shows. Maybe it's a Hollywood thing; maybe they learn it in school.
    As a Scientist I was taught never to pluralise units, hence Stone.
    Ironic, given that Stone is a junction.
    V good. I used to live in Stone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

It is to many British people too. I give my weight in stone and still have to remind myself how many pounds in it.

I've probably annoyed the health people though, as I filled out a form yesterday where I have my height in centimetres and weight in stone.
    Start giving your height in rods, and see how well THAT goes over.

Personally, I'm 1/1,000th of a nautical mile . . . at 300 feet above sea level . . .
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120

OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:

PM Orbán is traveling to Brussels tomorrow to take part in the extraordinary EU summit on the Ukrainian situation. The EU is set to make a long list of decisions on how to respond to Russia's actions and how to support Ukraine. HU stands committed to the joint EU policy.
    https://twitter.com/zoltanspox/status/1496524833936613386

Did BoZo and Truss miss a photo-op?

Perhaps worth noting that ethnic Hungarian leaders in Transcarpatian region in far southwest Ukraine have been aligned in not-so-distant past with other locals who themselves align (on cultural/religious grounds) with . . . wait for it . . . Russians.

So is Orban gonna be just another Putinist in the woodwork at the Brussels summit?

Times is headlining that "Donald Trump has praised Vladimir Putin’s “genius” actions in Ukraine and described the Russian president as “smart” and “savvy” for recognising separatist-controlled regions in eastern Ukraine"

I was wondering how that was playing in the US. Is that being attacked or ignored by other Republicans?
    Republicans are split, much more so than Democrats. With 45's true believers AND toadies are supporting their Fearless Leader.

Rest of GOP is like rest of American public: opposed in principle to Putin and sick of his no-goodnick ways, yet weary of war AND wearier still of active US involvement in war, regardless of how good the cause or foul the foe.

Perhaps don't have my ear close enough to the ground, but so far on this side of Atlantic (and Pacific) but am NOT hearing anti-war-with-Russia let alone pro-Putin sentiment, anywhere to the left of You-Know-Who that is.
    Late to both world wars, Wilson had real trouble coaxing US in, always this America First attitude through 20th century to today, can we call US a sort of reluctant super power? Perhaps not in Washington circles and political and military elite, but in its everyday vote?

If so, does this come from not really having borders, if US people were bang in middle of Europe they would have a different mentality to these things? It’s strikes me Trump is stupid in his remarks about seizing bits of Mexico Putin Style, because what Ukraine Crisis should be telling trump is the argument for Mexico to seize Texas.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906
    kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

I've probably annoyed the health people though, as I filled out a form yesterday where I gave my height in centimetres and weight in stone.
    I have never heard anyone I know of my generation (40s) describe a human's weight in anything but stone.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    How many cubic metres (or cubic inches) of Russian gas will Germany buy over the next month?
    Nein.

I'll get my cloak
    Elf and safety will get involved
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Nein.

I'll get my cloak
    That won't keep the zwölf from the door.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,042

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

I suspect you are right and the Conservatives will by default crossover shortly.

Johnson has had a poor couple of days, nonetheless events are likely to assist him.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?
    It’s a genuine national crisis. Governments around the world all got a rally round the flag bounce. Where did I see this proved as fact? When reading PB archives when banned!

I don’t know why Big G feels last few weeks bad media narrative for Tory’s, hence 35 surprisingly high. It’s really not.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,342
    Well, I really thought Putin would stop in Donetsk and Luhansk. It now looks like he really won't.

Madness.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,008
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Re Wallace, I still think that was a disastrous attempt to show a bit of ankle to the Tory membership, and I think Rees mogg's bring back the groat initiative is the same. They expect the leadership to be in play soonish.
    I took Rees-Mogg’s initiative as one foisted one him by the civil service.

Having waded through various green-inked batshittery in response to his “benefits of brexit” appeal, he’s alighted on reverting to imperial.

The permanent secretary has then recommended it might be wise to assess the economic benefits in advance.

I hope it is not a spoiler when I say there aren’t any.

Rees-Mogg is a very stupid man, which explains why - despite his high profile - he was kept from high office for so long.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

I have never heard anyone I know of my generation (40s) describe a human's weight in anything but stone.
    It is, cough, perhaps fair to say though that demographic of pb.com is not entirely progressive
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,273

If they do, UEFA will bomb them into submission.
  • Options
    That Nick Palmer (or Liam Byrne) list is quite the what-the-fucker, isn’t it?

The Tories are riddled with corruption.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Having waded through various green-inked batshittery in response to his “benefits of brexit” appeal, he’s alighted on reverting to imperial.

The permanent secretary has then recommended it might be wise to assess the economic benefits in advance.

Rees-Mogg is a very stupid man, which explains why - despite his high profile - he was kept from high office for so long.
    I don't wish to harp on it as it seems obsessive, but I'd argue he has still been kept from high office (albeit not far enough from it). First he was responsible for managing the business of the Commons for more important ministers, now he has a nebulously defined new post, neither of which means he can claim to be a Cabinet Minister, though it is rubbed in as he gets to attend.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Nein.

I'll get my cloak
    Vier not.
  • Options

Whilst I find their constant measurement of temperature in Fahrenheit bewildering. I haven't the faintest idea what that quaint old measurement means. Although I believe The Daily Express use it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

I’ve been nudged into using kg by my phone. I use apple fitness and I set the measurements to metric cos I was doing the couch to 5km thing, and it set weight to kilos as well so I stuck with it. I’m 44.

I find it easier to judge, cos the weights in the gym are in kilos. I know my weight is equal to 4 20kg plates. I know what 20kg feels like. Dunno what I’d pick up that weighs a stone and think yeah, I weigh 12 of those.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

I suspect you are right and the Conservatives will by default crossover shortly.

Johnson has had a poor couple of days, nonetheless events are likely to assist him.
    Not sure but I think he is secure for now despite partygate, for better for worse
  • Options
    edited February 2022

If they do, UEFA will bomb them into submission.
    Takes an awful lot to make UEFA look good by comparison. Last idiots who managed it were the Super League fools.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?
    I would be surprised if there is a Falklands factor, unless Johnson plans British boots on the ground which leads to Putin's swift defeat.

If he can pull that off I would be shocked.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

I don't wish to harp on
    Talk about blowing your own trumpet
  • Options

New Labour weren't exactly squeaky clean on this front either. Oleg Deripaska?

The issue seems to be party funding more than anything. What to do about it?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,561
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Or people from Wales who speak English. Doesn't mean they ARE English.
    No. Everyone who has ever spoken English is irrevocably part of the English Empire.

Once I have found the right wrench to torque the BSW Whitworth bolts on my Violet Club re-creation, I can start the reconquest of the world.....
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

I don't wish to harp on it as it seems obsessive, but I'd argue he has still been kept from high office (albeit not far enough from it). First he was responsible for managing the business of the Commons for more important ministers, now he has a nebulously defined new post, neither of which means he can claim to be a Cabinet Minister, though it is rubbed in as he gets to attend.
    He’s full Cabinet now. He can lord it over lesser nincompoops like Suella Braverman.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?
    It’s a genuine national crisis. Governments around the world all got a rally round the flag bounce. Where did I see this proved as fact? When reading PB archives when banned!

I don’t know why Big G feels last few weeks bad media narrative for Tory’s, hence 35 surprisingly high. It’s really not.
    I am not saying there is a bad media narrative but partygate and lifting restrictions on covid are not positives
  • Options

Chelsea !!!
  • Options

The issue seems to be party funding more than anything. What to do about it?
    Every journey begins with a single step.
    But Boris’s clown shoes are encased in snow.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,431
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

Well, I really thought Putin would stop in Donetsk and Luhansk. It now looks like he really won't.

Madness.

Well, he has effectively said that Ukraine has no right to exist, so I suppose we have to give some consideration to the possibility that he believes it.

If Putin gets his way then Ukraine and Belarus (at the minimum) will both eventually disappear from the map.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

He’s full Cabinet now. He can lord it over lesser nincompoops like Suella Braverman.

He is? Well that's a nonsense given he is still only a minister of state - I could believe he somehow heard about my mockery and asked for a formal upgrade despite his formal title not justifying it. Everyone else who is on it is a Secretary of State or at least Co-Chair of the Party or similar 'other' role eg Chancellor Duchy Lancaster (Sharma is also probably not justified being there as COP26 head).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Not sure but I think he is secure for now despite partygate, for better for worse
    He might be but everyone is calling the result before the match has started. The crunch points are does he get a fpn and what does he do about it? Until the met pronounces, things don't really kick off.
  • Options

If youayfer don’t move it after this they need to be bombarded with sanctions. Obviously not from Boris though, they’re confuse it with a stress relieving massage.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Nowadays, how hard is it just to salt non-human intel sources over likely entry paths, such as roads or passes? Cheap cameras feeding into the mobile / satellite networks? Yes, they may soon be taken out, but they could be a dirt cheap form of intel.
    Mobile network would be pushing it. Any sane invader is "switching" that off. Satellite better but jamming is likely.

Still, might work for a while. Certainly dirt cheap.
  • Options

It's an important point.

Mike is fond of criticising the Far Left of Labour for their refusal to venerate Tony Blair but the latter was no paragon of virtue. He was a corrupt, Metropolitan elitist who stuffed Gov't organisations like the NHS full of middle managers, disregarded concerns about immigration, and believed Mandleson's mantra that people could get filthy rich if they wanted. Russian money laundering in London didn't happen solely under the Conservatives.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,189
    They can absolutely categorically fuck off

An @theipaper exclusive: The salary threshold at which graduates start repaying their student loans is set to drop from £27,295 a year to £25,000. Universities are also expecting repayment term to go from 30 to 40 years

https://twitter.com/whazell/status/1496460151796256769?s=21
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,999
    Interestingly looks like you can’t buy F1 Russian GP tickets anymore - replaced by Turkey..

The right decision if that’s confirmed
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

1 stone = 14 pounds

The bizarre thing is that stones are only used for peoples weights. No one buys a stone of potatoes etc.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It's an important point.

Mike is fond of criticising the Far Left of Labour for their refusal to venerate Tony Blair but the latter was no paragon of virtue. He was a corrupt, Metropolitan elitist who stuffed Gov't organisations like the NHS full of middle managers, disregarded concerns about immigration, and believed Mandleson's mantra that people could get filthy rich if they wanted. Russian money laundering in London didn't happen solely under the Conservatives.
    No, but it radically expanded.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    There's a lot spoken about Russia's troops. But not much about Ukraine's.

Do the Ukrainians have thousands dug in along Ukraine's Eastern borders? is this going to be a walk over, which would in some ways be a mercy, or is it going to be a bloodbath?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,133

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?
    I would be surprised if there is a Falklands factor, unless Johnson plans British boots on the ground which leads to Putin's swift defeat.

The obvious comparison I see with the Falklands is that whilst the US did not engage directly in that conflict they did provide the UK with intelligence information. I presume Ukraine would be getting assistance of that kind from Nato should an escalation take place.

I do admire the calm but forthright behaviour of their leaders but worry how this might all end.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Jacob Rees-Moog is Boris Johnson's 2nd banana and comic sidekick.

Like Sammy Davis Jr. was Frank Sinatra's sidekick. And Joey Bishop was Sammy's sidekick. And Regis Philbin was Joey's sidekick.

In this instance, JRM is BJ's sidekick. Like Johnson is Trump's sidekick. And like Trump is Putin's sidekick.

Get it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,990
    Really tempted to stick a couple of quid on Ben Wallace for next PM. Anyone who can describe Putin as having gone full tonto over Ukraine has that common touch.
  • Options

An @theipaper exclusive: The salary threshold at which graduates start repaying their student loans is set to drop from £27,295 a year to £25,000. Universities are also expecting repayment term to go from 30 to 40 years

There was a debate about serfdom in Russia early this morning.

Seems we are intent on bringing it back to the UK.
  • Options

Gotta admit, doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

The bizarre thing is that stones are only used for peoples weights. No one buys a stone of potatoes etc.
    I can imagine JRM trying, though.
  • Options

Interestingly looks like you can’t buy F1 Russian GP tickets anymore - replaced by Turkey..

The right decision if that’s confirmed

So long as Turkish Putin doesn't decide to annex anywhere else, or if he does it is more of Syria, which no one will care about.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More tax rises on the young workers
  • Options

Surely they should be following the governments line. Loudly threaten to refuse to attend, but actually just take 7 subs instead of 9 to make the point.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Mobile network would be pushing it. Any sane invader is "switching" that off. Satellite better but jamming is likely.

Still, might work for a while. Certainly dirt cheap.
    The history of such ideas stretches back to Vietnam. See the McNamara Line.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069

Tres said:

This idea to reintroduce imperial measures is traffic cone hotlines levels of pathetic from the government.

Traffic Cones hotline was an important principle - giving voters access to a bureaucracy which before had been untouchable and unaccountable.

This on the other hand, as Malc would say is pure “mince”.

It’s actually a study looking for any benefits of doing it.

I’ll happily do it.

“None”

Invoice attached.
    This is the first I've heard of this policy, and my immediate thought is that it's a bit of nonsense designed to appeal to the core vote. But I would be in favour of letting companies use imperial measurements if they wanted to.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Do the Ukrainians have thousands dug in along Ukraine's Eastern borders? is this going to be a walk over, which would in some ways be a mercy, or is it going to be a bloodbath?

I guess the truth is nobody knows. Vlad of course thinks it will be a walk over. But Ukr troops will be fighting for their homeland.

I am minded to think it will be a horrible bloodbath lasting months.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There should rises elsewhere, to be sure, and it is infuriating how parties (particularly but not just Con) court the grey vote with bribes every election time, but this specific proposal doesn't seem outrageous.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Ukraine has a lot of troops, but is lacking in modern heavy weapons and also air power. I think the Ukranian forces will be encircled quite quickly.

Where they may do better is in urban and partisan warfare, but in a stand up fight in the open, the Russians will win.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Really tempted to stick a couple of quid on Ben Wallace for next PM. Anyone who can describe Putin as having gone full tonto over Ukraine has that common touch.

I see some think this is misspeak but Sky helpfully provided the definition and to be honest, many would agree though maybe politically correct followers would not

Indeed the red wall seats would no doubt give a 'chuckle'
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

It is, cough, perhaps fair to say though that demographic of pb.com is not entirely progressive
    I wasn't aware demographic ranges themselves could be progressive.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It's an important point.

Putin's party "United Russia" is a right-wing movement, so it makes sense they cuddle up (albeit surreptitiously!) to the right-wing Tory party.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?

The obvious comparison I see with the Falklands is that whilst the US did not engage directly in that conflict they did provide the UK with intelligence information. I presume Ukraine would be getting assistance of that kind from Nato should an escalation take place.

I do admire the calm but forthright behaviour of their leaders but worry how this might all end.
    The Falklands moment for Johnson idea is complete and utter nonsense. We owned the Falklands war 100%, our stake in Ukraine will never be greater than 2% max. Like Iraq but less so because the EU kept out of Iraq.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There should rises elsewhere, to be sure, and it is infuriating how parties (particularly but not just Con) court the grey vote with bribes every election time, but this specific proposal doesn't seem outrageous.
    A forty year term is in effect an entire career graduate tax on those who are not rich enough to not take student loans.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,705
    edited February 2022

DavidL said:

I see some think this is misspeak but Sky helpfully provided the definition and to be honest, many would agree though maybe politically correct followers would not

There are around 6,000 almost unanimous comments in the Mail today, that the comments are dangerous and idiotic. I think together with the donors issue, that will actually hit the Tories' poll rating. Many of the comments also bring in the general competence issue of the government of earlier in the year.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

The Falklands factor?

The Falklands moment for Johnson idea is complete and utter nonsense. We owned the Falklands war 100%, our stake in Ukraine will never be greater than 2% max. Like Iraq but less so because the EU kept out of Iraq.
    I think that's true.

But everything is so odd in the world at the moment that I'm not sure I trust my judgement.

If Johnson can find a way of coming out of this triumphant, he may well achieve it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Putin forgot the rule - https://youtu.be/X6WHBO_Qc-Q?t=80
  • Options

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

I’ve been nudged into using kg by my phone. I use apple fitness and I set the measurements to metric cos I was doing the couch to 5km thing, and it set weight to kilos as well so I stuck with it. I’m 44.

I find it easier to judge, cos the weights in the gym are in kilos. I know my weight is equal to 4 20kg plates. I know what 20kg feels like. Dunno what I’d pick up that weighs a stone and think yeah, I weigh 12 of those.
    Pints, miles and stones are all very sticky. When I used to go to Slimming World all the weights and awards were done in stones and pounds. At my running club everyone else still talks about pace in terms of minutes per mile.

I'm thoroughly used to thinking about my running pace in minutes per kilometre, because it's what I decided to start working in when I first began to go out on the roads during the first lockdown, and I therefore find trying to convert between km and mile pacing a real chore. The latter makes no sense to me. Yet if I were describing the distance between places I'd still default to miles.

Just one more example of how we're psychologically marooned in mid-Atlantic between two different systems, I suppose.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,866

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A forty year term is in effect an entire career graduate tax on those who are not rich enough to not take student loans.
    Yep and only on low paid graduates who don't get rapid enough pay rises to pay it all off.

To be blunt, university isn't worth it now which is why any Degree Apprenticeship is harder to get.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Nein.

I'll get my cloak
    Vier not.
    If only we had a sechs memoirist to contribute to the conversation.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Definitely for worse. The man in is not equipped to deal with such a crisis.

Chinese spokesman on Channel 4 News confirming a Russia- China axis to offset Western sanctions. Chinese spokesman not discounting unification of China and Taiwan whilst the West are distracted.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And the lowered threshold brings that tax to poorer chunk of graduates.

I would encourage potential students to look at overseas options.

And graduates to consider immigration.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,628

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Jacob Rees-Moog is Boris Johnson's 2nd banana and comic sidekick.

Like Sammy Davis Jr. was Frank Sinatra's sidekick. And Joey Bishop was Sammy's sidekick. And Regis Philbin was Joey's sidekick.

In this instance, JRM is BJ's sidekick. Like Johnson is Trump's sidekick. And like Trump is Putin's sidekick.

Get it?
    JRM and Boris in action

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

"Big dogs smelly bollocks arn’t being felt up by plod on the tv screen every night like they were"

Is this:
    > a complaint?
    > a request?
    > an example of why more and more UKers are becoming reluctant to pay the BBC license fee?
    Firstly, UKers? Don’t you mean limeys?

Secondly. I said he would be gone yesterday, for me there hasn’t’ been nearly enough plod prodding big dogs nuts…

Actually, that made me think. Did Nut Nut get a questionnaire as well? Students were getting felt up by plod for having house parties, if Nut Nuts not on the payroll she can’t even use work event excuse!

OMG Princess Nut Nuts going to get fined 😮

Anyway back to the big dogs bollocks, When I picked the day after half term two weeks ago for having those old things off, I wasn’t sure Russian tanks roll across Europe in the night. In a way though with an open goal to score in and whole house on his side yesterday may prove the day patience in lazy Johnson finally ran out. Are you sure if this Vladimir Puking crisis not come along Boris would definitely survive this long? Really?

There’s still a denouement to his law breaking and lying coming he can’t escape, or control now. When? It could come out of nowhere, anytime the police could act as trigger. Or something else could get leaked.

This Ukraine crisis has not come to save Boris, but to bury him. With each day it’s becoming clear there are politicians in both main party’s who would handle this Ukraine crisis better than Johnson. You can say no, lazy Boris is best leader we have for this, but we are only going to laugh at you 😃
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

1 stone = 14 pounds

Conversely, if Boris lost 1 stone 7 lb of muscle, nobody would give his weight as two hundredweight.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,999

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Chinese spokesman on Channel 4 News confirming a Russia- China axis to offset Western sanctions. Chinese spokesman not discounting unification of China and Taiwan whilst the West are distracted.
    I think with Johnsons woeful sanction response (led by Truss), we’re doomed
  • Options
    MISTY said:

There was some talk today about checkpoints being abandoned on their side of the current line of control.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,990

Tres said:

Traffic Cones hotline was an important principle - giving voters access to a bureaucracy which before had been untouchable and unaccountable.

This on the other hand, as Malc would say is pure “mince”.

It’s actually a study looking for any benefits of doing it.

I’ll happily do it.

“None”

Invoice attached.
    Can I suggest selling petrol and diesel in gallons. We still think about fuel efficiency in miles per gallon - the obvious mixed measure miles per litre does not appear to be well used.
    It finally happened yesterday. Filled up the car and it was £102 for a tank. If we showed what we were paying in Gallons we are going to need bigger boards.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Back in the day when I studied politics there was a belief in the 'feel good factor' and its converse.

I don't know if it still applies nowadays but it might. Surely no one can describe life since 2019 as a joyful passage along sunlit uplands?

It's by far the most godawful depressing period of my life. Clearly lots of that is outside of Boris' control, though he bears some responsbility.

The point though is this: if enough people feel like shit going to vote they tend not to vote for the governing party.

At least, that's the theory. Might be rubbish.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 25 Jan

Voters were told the big threats to their safety came from covid and climate change.

Russian tanks and Chinese aggression? not so much.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

“The proposals – which will feature in a wider announcement on university policy tomorrow and will be subject to consultation – are likely to apply to new students taking out loans, rather than those who are already studying or current graduates.”

It will be interesting if this is the case. Martin Lewis has been lobbying hard against retrospective changes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,112
    MISTY said:

Just so I'm clear because I'm not.

Have Russian forces moved into the areas of Donetsk and Lubansk oblasts controlled by the separatists? Have they beyond those areas into the remainder of the two oblasts? I suspect the answer to both questions is Not Yet.

Putin's historical revisionism notwithstanding therefore, we seem at a bit of a stalemate. The next stage presumably would be for Russian forces (on some false-flag pretext) to move into Donetsk and Lubansk up to the line controlled by the separatists since 2014 and then perhaps beyond.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,403
    MISTY said:

I fear it might be a bloodbath of a walkover. Russia has a large advantage in long-range artillery, missiles and air power, while the Ukrainians have lots of soldiers under arms, and a large number of reservists with experience from the last eight years, so there is potential for a lot of Ukrainians in uniform to become a target for Russian firepower.

It might be that the Ukrainians ditch the uniforms and fight a guerrilla war, in which case the initial phase of the war would be over very quickly, but you'd then have a very protracted and bloody conflict which both sides would find it difficult to win.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Crooked to extend the term, and put up interest rates unilaterally after the loans were taken. What other financial organisation can do that?

It's a gift for Starmer. Important to get out the youth vote. It nearly worked for Jezza in 2017.
  • Options
    Interesting.

• Options
    The Ukrainian parliament has just voted to declare a state of emergency.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Crooked to extend the term, and put up interest rates unilaterally after the loans were taken. What other financial organisation can do that?

It's a gift for Starmer. Important to get out the youth vote. It nearly worked for Jezza in 2017.
    I think the longer term is only for new students. Dunno about the threshold though.

Either way it’s crap. Just more pulling the ladder up
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Foxy said:

MISTY said:

Ukraine has a lot of troops, but is lacking in modern heavy weapons and also air power. I think the Ukranian forces will be encircled quite quickly.

Where they may do better is in urban and partisan warfare, but in a stand up fight in the open, the Russians will win.
    If it comes to urban warfare, nobody wins. There will be nothing left to gain. What use is a bombed and shelled out city with only those too old to flee left in it? Ukraine is hardly a nation of great riches.

If Putin really intends to do this then the 'Tonto' comment was utterly accurate.

What's his actual plan? Install a puppet regime and hope nobody can be bothered fighting?
  • Options

kle4 said:

They should stop fretting and just wait for their inheritance as per the Epping Tory party policy.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Did you not notice Patel sat next to him grimace as he said it? In Spanish-language versions of The Lone Ranger, Tonto is called Toro, but Spanish for stupid, is no doubt where the Defence Secretary was coming from. he could have ended in the Thick Of It, but looks like he’s got away with it. 🙂
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,053
    kle4 said:

Student loans and maintenance grants will also no longer be available to those who do not have grade 4 or 5 in English and Maths and at least 2 E grade A levels.

That should ensure pupils who are unlikely to get a higher paid graduate level job after university avoid student debt and going to university and instead consider another qualification or apprenticeship
  • Options

There was a debate about serfdom in Russia early this morning.

Seems we are intent on bringing it back to the UK.
    In addition to the ever-ageing population, the Covid debt burden and everything else we already have to pay for, it looks increasingly likely that the British state is going to have to find the funds to hugely increase the defence budget, and rehome its fair share of the millions of Ukrainian refugees liable to be driven westwards by a Russian conquest.

The Government's plan to tax the absolute crap out of the working age population whilst leaving the elderly, with their inflation-busting pension increases and their enormous property wealth, almost untouched (a one year only suspension of the triple lock excepted) is going to be tested to destruction over the coming years.
  • Options

Interesting.

As far as I can see the EU have decided nothing.

Are they not meeting tomorrow to try to thrash out a position, even as Putin's may be heading for Ukraine.
This discussion has been closed.