Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The story that won’t go away for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,808
edited March 2022 in General
The story that won’t go away for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

As has been widely speculated whatever the Metropolitan Police decide to do about Johnson then it will be bad for the Prime Minister.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First. Like Sophie Raworth.

She's doing great in Marr's slot.
  • Options
    U.S. intelligence learned last week that the Kremlin had given the order for Russian military units to proceed with an invasion of Ukraine, information that prompted President Biden to announce that President Vladimir V. Putin had made the decision to attack, U.S. officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/20/world/ukraine-russia-putin-biden#us-intelligence-russia-military
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,333

U.S. intelligence learned last week that the Kremlin had given the order for Russian military units to proceed with an invasion of Ukraine, information that prompted President Biden to announce that President Vladimir V. Putin had made the decision to attack, U.S. officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/20/world/ukraine-russia-putin-biden#us-intelligence-russia-military

It’s still just possible that’s part of a massive bluff by Putin, but that does seem quite unlikely now.
  • Options

Jack Detsch @JackDetsch
    NEW: Russia is deploying more armored equipment and troops near Belgorod, Soloti, Valuyki as close as 10 miles from the Ukrainian border.

Most of the combat units at Soloti are now departing, per satellite images, heading south in the direction of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1495532423395913733
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120

I second that, she is really tough and fearless, and shows no bias whichever politician she is interrogating. She has given both Boris and Starmer a hard time in last few weeks. And that’s good 👍🏻

It shows that when chair blockers like Marr and Jon Snow are out the way, others can step in and reveal how good they can be.

Hashtag exciting 🙂

• Options
    Joyce Karam@Joyce_Karam·58mIn last 3 hours:

- Biden held 4 hr NSC mtg
    - Biden rescheduled then canceled trip to Delaware tonight
    - Macron 📞 Biden: 15 min
    - US embassy in Russia warning of attacks in Moscow & St Petersburg
    - Situation continues to be tense in/around Ukraine

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    (FPT) Private prosecutions are increasingly common, thanks to constraints on CPS funding. The Post Office is far from the only organisation bringing private prosecutions (see eg local authorities, or the RSPCA…).

Parliament’s Justice Committee concluded that the oversight of the process is inadequate:
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5801/cmselect/cmjust/497/49703.htm

The courts are effectively the regulators of private prosecutions, but for obvious reasons that regulation is not systematic.
    The CPS has powers to intervene in private prosecutions in particular circumstances, but has no overall regulatory role at all….

There are good arguments in favour of having a system of private prosecutions, but it does seem extraordinary that we recognised as far back as the mid 80s that there were dangerous conflicts of interest in having those who investigated a crime also bring prosecutions. As a result the CPS was set up to take over that role from the police.

And yet in the intervening three and a half decades we’ve never done anything about setting up a system to regulate decisions to prosecute still taken by those who do the investigation - ie for pretty well all private prosecutions.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,968

Jack Detsch @JackDetsch
    NEW: Russia is deploying more armored equipment and troops near Belgorod, Soloti, Valuyki as close as 10 miles from the Ukrainian border.

Most of the combat units at Soloti are now departing, per satellite images, heading south in the direction of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1495532423395913733

Someone shared info about FORTE11 performing a shorter arc in eastern Ukraine. The focal point of that arc is Belgorod.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/FORTE11/2ae24bf7
  • Options

I second that, she is really tough and fearless, and shows no bias whichever politician she is interrogating. She has given both Boris and Starmer a hard time in last few weeks. And that’s good 👍🏻

It shows that when chair blockers like Marr and Jon Snow are out the way, others can step in and reveal how good they can be.

Hashtag exciting 🙂

Definitely. I have been impressed. Perhaps she can take us back a bit to the world of Brian Walden and so on? Proper interviews.

Though the state of BBC management at the moment they will probably announce that Amol Rajan has been awarded the Sunday Show tomorrow.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,544

Must be serious paranoia in the Kremlin that the US has broken its codes....
  • Options
    Weather is getting utterly vile outside again and house is getting quite chilly despite the heating being on, just had to turn it up more. Seems like Storm Franklin could be worse than Eunice around here at least.

Hope Spring arrives soon. This week's weather has wrecked the plans I'd made for half-term.
  • Options

Or perhaps the massive troop and tank movements on the roads gave the game away?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    On Topic. By Moon Rabbits countdown, only two days to go now before Boris leadership comes to an end. 🙂.

I’m sticking to that. My analysis agrees with Mike’s header, it’s not going away. I disagree with header, that an apology from Boris saves him, in fact he’s remained in post a few weeks longer on the basis he’s avoided making such an apology. Such an apology is an admission of guilt - and that moment, either through apology or some other means, finishes him. The penny dropped weeks ago, even in number ten, he can’t survive this. It’s not a simple law that has been broken - through the messaging of the law, that law was Boris own policy what we all needed to do, the whole sense of British fair play is built into it, the prime ministers own leadership, to lead by example built into it. He broke that law. He told whoppers to Parliament and media to avoid being found out. There’s no coming back from that.

It’s just a question of when. And my countdown till Tuesday is based on two things I have learned from all this and hold to be true. Firstly, there is no clever manoeuvring how the letters go in, a vonc can happen any second based on MPs deciding in their own mind at their own speed they want a change. Secondly, Boris has had a degree of control over delay and filibuster up till now. Last Friday he lost control. What he has stated to police can become public knowledge any moment now.

It’s also noticeable he has very little support inside his own tent now, just the same old loyalists in the media defending him, and contorting themselves to manage that like Cleverly did today

• Options
    President of Estonia:

We are seeing a planned, premeditated escalation by Russia. No matter the outcome, the message could not be clearer: nothing uttered by the Russian state can unfortunately be trusted. The path for a free, European Ukraine is clear and Estonia supports if fully #WeStandWithUkraine

https://twitter.com/AlarKaris/status/1495509829691006978
  • Options
    *sort of on topic, there is something else not going away. But as Boris is gone soon, this is more a problem for the Conservative Party and the leadership who inherit Boris To Do list.

a bit of Brexit on front tomorrows papers again. 🤔

Telegraph covering IDS saying “time running out to benefit from Brexit” I didn’t realise there was a ticking clock on being able to benefit, how is that explained?

“Brexit let down - the promised fruits are hard to find” top of the FT.

I had a chat with my Dad on Face Time today. He said although Blair won majorities, there was still a customary lot of table banging mid term asking where the deliver on the promises were. It got me thinking, the more covid becomes thing of the past in peoples minds the more this electoral cycle slips into demanding delivery on promises, partly hidden from view by Ukraine Crisis. And also it’s different this time because this is the Brexit delivery parliament, normal elections promises woven in with finally delivering Brexit benefits.

If we get back to a more standard news narrative, can we expect to be hearing a lot more about delivery of Brexit benefits?
  • Options

President of Estonia:

We are seeing a planned, premeditated escalation by Russia. No matter the outcome, the message could not be clearer: nothing uttered by the Russian state can unfortunately be trusted. The path for a free, European Ukraine is clear and Estonia supports if fully #WeStandWithUkraine

https://twitter.com/AlarKaris/status/1495509829691006978

Even if Putin wins some early battles he has lost the long term. Maybe he is of an age where he doesn't care? But this is not going to end well for his version of Russia.
  • Options
    Non delivery, yes.
  • Options
    Interesting list of when the chips are down who was actually called: not the Poles or the EU Commission.

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1495541262572740608

President Macron just had a second (!) phone conversation today with President Putin which lasted one hour. This conversation follows calls of the 🇫🇷 President with his 🇺🇦, 🇺🇸, 🇩🇪 and 🇬🇧 counterparts. Intense diplomatic activity from Paris.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,120

On Topic. By Moon Rabbits countdown, only two days to go now before Boris leadership comes to an end. 🙂.

I’m sticking to that. My analysis agrees with Mike’s header, it’s not going away. I disagree with header, that an apology from Boris saves him, in fact he’s remained in post a few weeks longer on the basis he’s avoided making such an apology. Such an apology is an admission of guilt - and that moment, either through apology or some other means, finishes him. The penny dropped weeks ago, even in number ten, he can’t survive this. It’s not a simple law that has been broken - through the messaging of the law, that law was Boris own policy what we all needed to do, the whole sense of British fair play is built into it, the prime ministers own leadership, to lead by example built into it. He broke that law. He told whoppers to Parliament and media to avoid being found out. There’s no coming back from that.

It’s just a question of when. And my countdown till Tuesday is based on two things I have learned from all this and hold to be true. Firstly, there is no clever manoeuvring how the letters go in, a vonc can happen any second based on MPs deciding in their own mind at their own speed they want a change. Secondly, Boris has had a degree of control over delay and filibuster up till now. Last Friday he lost control. What he has stated to police can become public knowledge any moment now.

It’s also noticeable he has very little support inside his own tent now, just the same old loyalists in the media defending him, and contorting themselves to manage that like Cleverly did today

Given Boris has halved the Labour poll lead he is secure for now.

Only if he is fined, the Labour lead expands to double digits again or the Tories see massive losses in the local elections will he be under threat again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Only if he is fined, the Labour lead expands to double digits again or the Tories see massive losses in the local elections will he be under threat again
    One of our posts is a keeper. I’m saying out by this Tuesday 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,884
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

(FPT) Private prosecutions are increasingly common, thanks to constraints on CPS funding. The Post Office is far from the only organisation bringing private prosecutions (see eg local authorities, or the RSPCA…).

Parliament’s Justice Committee concluded that the oversight of the process is inadequate:

The courts are effectively the regulators of private prosecutions, but for obvious reasons that regulation is not systematic.
    The CPS has powers to intervene in private prosecutions in particular circumstances, but has no overall regulatory role at all….

There are good arguments in favour of having a system of private prosecutions, but it does seem extraordinary that we recognised as far back as the mid 80s that there were dangerous conflicts of interest in having those who investigated a crime also bring prosecutions. As a result the CPS was set up to take over that role from the police.

And yet in the intervening three and a half decades we’ve never done anything about setting up a system to regulate decisions to prosecute still taken by those who do the investigation - ie for pretty well all private prosecutions.

This may well be something positive that comes out of the Post Office scandal. Private Prosecutions may come to be subject to outside review and scrutiny.

Anyone with any common sense would have quickly figured that the PO was going over the top and that its campaign against the postmasters was based on flawed assumptions and faulty evidence.
  • Options
    Gérard Araud
    @GerardAraud
    Second phone call of the day between pres.
    @EmmanuelMacron
    et Pres. Putin.

https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/1495538474992209923
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not if Russia invades.....
  • Options
    Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    1m
    Russia could lose financial markets access, advanced goods if it invades Ukraine -EU chief http://reut.rs/34Y5VRD

https://twitter.com/Reuters

==

I'm not liking the 'could' word there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,469

Nigelb said:

This may well be something positive that comes out of the Post Office scandal. Private Prosecutions may come to be subject to outside review and scrutiny.

Anyone with any common sense would have quickly figured that the PO was going over the top and that its campaign against the postmasters was based on flawed assumptions and faulty evidence.
    For some reason about 99% of the media wasn't interested in investigating these cases at the time. There were a few exceptions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He's safe until at least the summer now.
  • Options
    Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h
    Heartbreaking. Leaving a restaurant in Kyiv tonight, and the waitress grabs my arm. “Are you leaving Ukraine? My husband thinks we should leave. But we have two cats and we can’t leave them.” I wouldn’t call it panic, but it feels like previously chill Kyiv is now very nervous…

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll
  • Options
    Pretty sure the markets will open significantly lower tomorrow first thing.

And with that - I head to bed. Night all.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,797
    edited February 2022

I assumed the futures would be notably down, but surprisingly, they’re not.

IG ftse trading at ~-0.4%
  • Options
    ping said:

Regrettably war in one thing that doesn't necessarily spook the markets. Conflict drives up the cost of oil etc which is good for businesses involved in trading that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,753

ping said:

Regrettably war in one thing that doesn't necessarily spook the markets. Conflict drives up the cost of oil etc which is good for businesses involved in trading that.
    But there are lots of consumers of oil, who lose out.

And don't forget that companies like Shell have lots of Russian exposure (Sakhalin-II) which would be negatively impact by sanctions.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,968
    HYUFD said:

Classic Overton window here. "He halved the lead they didn't even have until recently". Genius. Three months ago Labour would have bitten your hand off for a 5 point lead, but now it's Wunderboris.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

And don't forget that companies like Shell have lots of Russian exposure (Sakhalin-II) which would be negatively impact by sanctions.
    Oh absolutely agreed but the point is there's swings and roundabouts.

One person's horrific conflict is someone else's business opportunity.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Classic Overton window here. "He halved the lead they didn't even have until recently". Genius. Three months ago Labour would have bitten your hand off for a 5 point lead, but now it's Wunderboris.
    And eight years ago if someone had said the Tories would still be in power in 2022 and the Labour Party would only have a 5 point lead in the midterm during a scandal then the Tories would have bitten both your hands off for that.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

It's a fair point.

However, I would suggest that the major losers (economically) will be the EU, which - like it or not - is going to end up being tougher on gas exports from Russia.

And the UK.

Because we are the most dependent country in the world on spot LNG imports. If the Europeans start bidding on a limited number of cargoes, the it just means we're both going to be paying a lot more. (I put a great deal of blame on UK generators, who looked to save a few bucks by not entering into long term supply contracts.)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ping said:

It's a fair point.

However, I would suggest that the major losers (economically) will be the EU, which - like it or not - is going to end up being tougher on gas exports from Russia.

And the UK.

Because we are the most dependent country in the world on spot LNG imports. If the Europeans start bidding on a limited number of cargoes, the it just means we're both going to be paying a lot more. (I put a great deal of blame on UK generators, who looked to save a few bucks by not entering into long term supply contracts.)
    Always trying to see the silver lining - could a large conflict in Ukraine followed by draconian economic sanctions against Russia be the impetus needed to get the West shifting seriously into renewables?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

He's safe until at least the summer now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a few Tory MPs have withdrawn a letter because of the Ukraine situation.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Or perhaps the massive troop and tank movements on the roads gave the game away?

Reading between the lines, what Biden said implies that US SigInt is reading Russian military communications.
  • Options
    Wow, Even by his low standards, Boris looks a wreck in that interview.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Latest jab figures

first 91.4%
    second 85.0%
    booster 66.1%

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    TimT said:

Reading between the lines, what Biden said implies that US SigInt is reading Russian military communications.
    You can learn a lot just from traffic analysis even if you can’t break the ciphers. It wouldn’t surprise me if the No Such Agency has quantum computers that can read everyone’s ciphers but I doubt they’d do anything to let that slip for a crisis as “trivial” as this: i.e. they wouldn’t let that slip for anything short of an existential threat to the United States, and maybe not even then.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,087
    edited February 2022

Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h
    Heartbreaking. Leaving a restaurant in Kyiv tonight, and the waitress grabs my arm. “Are you leaving Ukraine? My husband thinks we should leave. But we have two cats and we can’t leave them.” I wouldn’t call it panic, but it feels like previously chill Kyiv is now very nervous…

When did Kiev change to Kyiv ?
  • Options
    China has made it clear: they do not support Russia going to war in the Ukraine

http://www.chinamission.be/eng/mhs/202202/t20220220_10643724.htm
  • Options
    Taz said:

Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h

Kiev is the Russian spelling, Kyiv is the Ukrainian.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,794
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h

Київ is the local spelling! ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h

Ah, right. Thanks.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,980

Interesting list of when the chips are down who was actually called: not the Poles or the EU Commission.

President Macron just had a second (!) phone conversation today with President Putin which lasted one hour. This conversation follows calls of the 🇫🇷 President with his 🇺🇦, 🇺🇸, 🇩🇪 and 🇬🇧 counterparts. Intense diplomatic activity from Paris.

Brexit has given the French a free run at being Europe’s principal power on the world stage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris halved a,labour,lead his actions caused in the first place.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

And eight years ago if someone had said the Tories would still be in power in 2022 and the Labour Party would only have a 5 point lead in the midterm during a scandal then the Tories would have bitten both your hands off for that.
    Six months ago, not so much.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,448
    IanB2 said:

Brexit has given the French a free run at being Europe’s principal power on the world stage.
    Not entirely sure its BREXIT (although the late Paddy Ashdown argued this was likely to happen) Its pretty high risk stuff for France but its certainly been a good crisis for Macron so far.... if UK/French diplomacy was a zero-sum game ...it'd be London nil: Paris 2.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Welcome news:

Andrew Neil is to to host a new Sunday night political show on Channel 4, his first major return to broadcasting after an acrimonious departure from GB News, where he was the rightwing network’s lead presenter.

It marks something of a leftwards lurch by Neil – a former BBC broadcaster known for his conservative views – to a channel whose news programme he once described as the “broadcasting arm of the Guardian”.

The live 10-part series will air in May and has a working title of Sunday Politics with Andrew Neil, according to Channel 4, which said it would feature “set-piece interviews with the highest profile politicians and newsmakers”.

[Neil said]: “Sunday night is a pivotal point in the political week – we can sweep up what’s happened in the previous week, mop up what’s been in the Sunday papers and talkshows and throw forward to the upcoming week. We’ll aim to do all of that and more.”
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Or the departure of Merkel....
  • Options

*sort of on topic, there is something else not going away. But as Boris is gone soon, this is more a problem for the Conservative Party and the leadership who inherit Boris To Do list.

Telegraph covering IDS saying “time running out to benefit from Brexit” I didn’t realise there was a ticking clock on being able to benefit, how is that explained?

I had a chat with my Dad on Face Time today. He said although Blair won majorities, there was still a customary lot of table banging mid term asking where the deliver on the promises were. It got me thinking, the more covid becomes thing of the past in peoples minds the more this electoral cycle slips into demanding delivery on promises, partly hidden from view by Ukraine Crisis. And also it’s different this time because this is the Brexit delivery parliament, normal elections promises woven in with finally delivering Brexit benefits.

If we get back to a more standard news narrative, can we expect to be hearing a lot more about delivery of Brexit benefits?

Here’s Harris making the point that (as with war), after a crisis people start to thinking ‘what was it for?’:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/20/tories-death-misery-spending-cuts-covid-labour

… after two years of sacrifice, bereavement and hurt, there is no sign of any political payback for what people have suffered. Through 2020 and 2021, the government endlessly employed a slogan that had been in sporadic circulation for at least 15 years, and was soon adopted by Joe Biden: “Build back better”. Now, at the very point you might have thought those three words would be more ubiquitous than ever, they are nowhere to be seen.

[Meanwhile] Starmer talks about what we have all been through, but there is still no real sense of a centre-left party confidently speaking to a country reeling from the loss of 180,000 people, and the experience of every aspect of its collective life being upended.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

IanB2 said:

Germany is hobbled by history from fulfilling the role, Britain has marginalised itself and will likely soon be struggling to remain whole, and Italy and Spain are, well, Italy and Spain.

The tabloid knee jerk antipathy to France that fed directly into Brexit has delivered France a huge opportunity.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126
    IanB2 said:

Goodness me - when will leavers stop banging on about Brexit? ....Oh!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PMSL.

Britain has been Europe's leading pro-Ukraine principle power since this began.

The reason Macron is the one doing these phone calls is because to his eternal shame, he's not been supporting Ukraine in the same way.

Ask any concerned democratic nation in Eastern Europe who the principle power has been in this crisis and they won't say France or Germany.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Germany is hobbled by history from fulfilling the role, Britain has marginalised itself and will likely soon be struggling to remain whole, and Italy and Spain are, well, Italy and Spain.

The tabloid knee jerk antipathy to France that fed directly into Brexit has delivered France a huge opportunity.
    Indeed the tabloids .. and everyone else in Ukraine are not Macron's greates supporters....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Actually in this sort of crisis an inconsequential, neutral nation tends to play the role of the 'honest broker' between the two sides.

Its France's shame that they're reduced to that role, not an opportunity to them. Thank goodness we've not been neutral in this crisis.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,372
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Mark MacKinnon

@markmackinnon
    ·
    2h

So if Putin doesn't invade, would he be a Chicken Kyiv?

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Mail: At least two cabinet ministers will withdraw support for the Prime Minister if he is handed a fixed penalty notice in relation to Covid rule breaches, it has been reported.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Actually in this sort of crisis an inconsequential, neutral nation tends to play the role of the 'honest broker' between the two sides.

Its France's shame that they're reduced to that role, not an opportunity to them. Thank goodness we've not been neutral in this crisis.
    The crisis has vividly highlighted the difference in how the UK can be valued by its fellow members within supranational bodies....
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,436
    IanB2 said:

Mail: At least two cabinet ministers will withdraw support for the Prime Minister if he is handed a fixed penalty notice in relation to Covid rule breaches, it has been reported.

Yeah, sure, whatever
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,448

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

The reason Macron is the one doing these phone calls is because to his eternal shame, he's not been supporting Ukraine in the same way.

Ask any concerned democratic nation in Eastern Europe who the principle power has been in this crisis and they won't say France or Germany.
    and after Ben Wallace's "Munich appeasement" comment I'm not sure they'll be cheering the UK either
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's about lying to Parliament....there was no coming back from that.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,436
    IanB2 said:

Here’s Harris making the point that (as with war), after a crisis people start to thinking ‘what was it for?’:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/20/tories-death-misery-spending-cuts-covid-labour

… after two years of sacrifice, bereavement and hurt, there is no sign of any political payback for what people have suffered. Through 2020 and 2021, the government endlessly employed a slogan that had been in sporadic circulation for at least 15 years, and was soon adopted by Joe Biden: “Build back better”. Now, at the very point you might have thought those three words would be more ubiquitous than ever, they are nowhere to be seen.

[Meanwhile] Starmer talks about what we have all been through, but there is still no real sense of a centre-left party confidently speaking to a country reeling from the loss of 180,000 people, and the experience of every aspect of its collective life being upended.
    Well of course. There's nothing waiting at the end of this but ever higher taxes on working people to facilitate the care and enrichment of the elderly. That's all the Tories are for, and Labour doesn't know how to propose any alternative without losing the next election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,379

IanB2 said:

There ought to be no coming back from that, but there will be. Johnson will simply say that he was mistaken, didn't realise how innocent, morale-boosting-intended, support for staff would or could be interpreted by others. And that, as Jack said, will be that. For all but 53 Tory MP's.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

and after Ben Wallace's "Munich appeasement" comment I'm not sure they'll be cheering the UK either
    I saw siome polling at the w/e which put Ukrainian support for the US and the UK at triple the levels for France and Germany.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

The other considerations - morality, right and wrong, propriety - don't get a look in.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

There ought to be no coming back from that, but there will be. Johnson will simply say that he was mistaken, didn't realise how innocent, morale-boosting-intended, support for staff would or could be interpreted by others. And that, as Jack said, will be that. For all but 53 Tory MP's.
    Not just that.

One of Johnson's first acts was to clear out anyone who questioned him.

Even if it was necessary, the side effect is that there's nobody in Cabinet, and hardly anyone in the Parliamentary party, with the backbone to tell Boris he's wrong.

If you select a bunch of cheerleaders, you can't complain that they don't play football.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

France has long been Europe’s lead interlocutor with Russia - U.K.-Russian relationships are and have been very poor for a long time - this has got nothing to do with Brexit however much you might wish it it be.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,372
    edited February 2022

IanB2 said:

Not just that.

Even if it was necessary, the side effect is that there's nobody in Cabinet, and hardly anyone in the Parliamentary party, with the backbone to tell Boris he's wrong.

If you select a bunch of cheerleaders, you can't complain that they don't play football.
    No. One of Johnson's first acts was to clear out people who refused to get on board with the government's agenda. Same as every other new PM in the history of the role has done. That's the very nature of Cabinet - if you can't get on board with Cabinet Responsibility then you can't be in the Cabinet.

That doesn't make every Cabinet minister a cheerleader, it just means they were [initially at least] on board with the government's agenda, as you'd expect. As other PMs throughout time have found, there's no reason an initial alignment needs to last indefinitely.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Just two? If he's confirmed as breaking the law then the entire Cabinet should, one by one, tell him its time to go. No ifs, no buts.

Having said that, though I no longer support him, credit where its due: he's doing a good job with Ukraine, and Covid in lifting all remaining restrictions.

But it doesn't matter how good a PM is. Introducing laws you don't follow yourself is gross misconduct.
    There is a fundamental difference between you and a cabinet minister. You have standards.

The sad truth is that today's Conservative Party is amoral, incompetent and corrupt. They do - and then deny - literally anything. Which is why HY only talks about polling and not the issue. When standards do not matter they can be ignored.

The arrogance is thinking the general public have the same lack of morality, standards, decency. If Covid has taught us anything it is that most people give a shit about each other...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not just that.

No. One of Johnson's first acts was to clear out people who refused to get on board with the government's agenda. Same as every other new PM in the history of the role has done. That's the very nature of Cabinet - if you can't get on board with Cabinet Responsibility then you can't be in the Cabinet.

That doesn't make every Cabinet minister a cheerleader, it just means they were [initially at least] on board with the government's agenda, as you'd expect. As other PMs throughout time have found, there's no reason an initial alignment needs to last indefinitely.
    Nevertheless he has not surrounded himself with titans of either intelligence or integrity
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,194
    Are these storms actually going to end ?
    Franklin certainly seems the wettest of the lot !
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Pulpstar, similar here. And the winds are the highest they've been during the run of storms.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,379

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Pulpstar, similar here. And the winds are the highest they've been during the run of storms.

Very, very heavy rain last night. Just about as heavy as I've experienced anywhere. Didn't last very long, but long enough to damage the Cole dwelling. Or at least find the gaps in it's defences!
    Fortunately, though, not in the main structure.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

We've been pretty lucky up here. Dudley missed us completely, we got gusty but not damaging winds before Eunice which was just snow for half a day, then Franklyn missed us completely.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not just that.

Might have guessed that would trigger you.

Even if it were necessary it has the side effect of reducing the ability of the Cabinet to stand up to the PM when it has to be done. And sometimes, it really has to be done.

Consider also the pattern of sackings at Boris's reshuffles or the cringe of that post election Cabinet; "How many new hospitals?" "Forty, Prime Minister".

Definitely not cheerleaders.
  • Options
    King Cole, sorry to hear that, but glad it wasn't the main building.

Still very strong wind here (50-60mph). Last night and much of yesterday had torrential rain, at times the wind blowing it closer to horizontal than vertical.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not just that.

Might have guessed that would trigger you.

Even if it were necessary it has the side effect of reducing the ability of the Cabinet to stand up to the PM when it has to be done. And sometimes, it really has to be done.

Consider also the pattern of sackings at Boris's reshuffles or the cringe of that post election Cabinet; "How many new hospitals?" "Forty, Prime Minister".

Definitely not cheerleaders.
    The John Harris piece highlights the dangers to the Tories over the run up to the next election. They have promised big. They need to deliver big - and they won't. Usually governments would come up with excuses for non-delivery and play it along that way, but we can already see that the Johnson playbook is claim delivery anyway.

"Forty Hospitals Prime Minister" is instructive. They are not building new hospitals but claiming they are anyway. A new fag shelter in the car park branded a new hospital. From the coverage I have seen this isn't well received in places where a new hospital is needed, a lick of paint and a new lean to goes up and "its a new hospital" is announced. The gamble from the Tories being that people really are that stupid.

And its the same on other measures. This week its likely that an axe will be taken to public transport (especially buses and light rail) as the government slashes subsidy - at the same time they are trumpeting expansions in public transport with its champion Boris "I love buses me" likely to still say how much money is going in even as services as slashed. Same with the towns fund where the same money is being promised three or four times over and amazingly enough not actually being spent.

This will be instructive as to how the post-Brexit era works in comparison to the post-Thatcher era. In the past when you lie to voters they tend to punish you. As Nick Clegg found out. Now we have a long list of lies and more to follow. Will people say "what hospital?" or will the need to keep going to secure that Brexit unicorn persuade people to look at the new fag shelter and say "nice hospital"?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,334
    IanB2 said:

What @BartholomewRoberts said, with bells on!

I am starting to think of our Cabinet Ministers in the way Brabbins and Fife thought about foreigners:

https://youtu.be/kL1zs4OKYAU
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,334

Good morning, everyone.

Very, very heavy rain last night. Just about as heavy as I've experienced anywhere. Didn't last very long, but long enough to damage the Cole dwelling. Or at least find the gaps in it's defences!
    Hope it's not too bad.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

'cos it's running further north than Eunice, which for the south coast was by far the worst.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,247

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

I thought he was sticking up for them? Criticising those who were selling them down the river?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

I thought he was sticking up for them? Criticising those who were selling them down the river?
    Exactly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60366088
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,989

Good morning, everyone.

Good luck with the repairs. Was that the cloudburst I was obsessing rather boringly about yesterday. Although noticeable, it tended to fizzle out a bit over South Wales and the South West and through the central Midlands, but stayed really strong further East and scanned southwards across Essex between around about 5.30-6.30pm.

As mentioned, it was the leading cold front behind which Franklin came in, on which the sharp 10 minute rain band formed in GB across the Southern Uplands and Northumberland and travelled as that rain band down almost the entirety of England and Wales. Hit me in Huddersfield just before 3pm (no leaks this time) and Elland Road about the same time.
  • Options
    More news today Russia is preparing to show evidence of mass graves in Luhansk / Donetsk. So I’m retweeting this. There *is* evidence—because there *were* mass burials. The Russian-backed authorities helped organise it. They didn’t have choice. Bodies were decomposing w/o electr

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1495670847935332354?s=20&t=g7jwWX_MtW90Y2v9qY4pLw
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,398

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

There may be an element of hard cop/soft cop going on - from the West's viewpoint, Biden leading the "war is imminent, sanctions will be ferocious" charge and Macron offering an alternative with a potential path to a climbdown. Macron and Biden are in constant touch and it's unlikely that they've reached totally different conclusions. We should probably wait for it to play out before we judge.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

Exactly:

BBC describes Munich as “diplomacy that failed”… hmm
  • Options

Weather is getting utterly vile outside again and house is getting quite chilly despite the heating being on, just had to turn it up more. Seems like Storm Franklin could be worse than Eunice around here at least.

Hope Spring arrives soon. This week's weather has wrecked the plans I'd made for half-term.

Windy.com suggests there's another incoming after this one
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,794

More news today Russia is preparing to show evidence of mass graves in Luhansk / Donetsk. So I’m retweeting this. There *is* evidence—because there *were* mass burials. The Russian-backed authorities helped organise it. They didn’t have choice. Bodies were decomposing w/o electr

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1495670847935332354?s=20&t=g7jwWX_MtW90Y2v9qY4pLw

To everyone else in the world, don’t forget that Luhansk and Donetsk are in Ukraine, so who are the Russians saying are buried there?

Hint: it’s the Ukrainians that the Russians killed in 2014, last time they invaded.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,584

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

Exactly:

The Munich Agreement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement) was diplomacy and it did fail.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,400
  • Options

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

Exactly:

The Munich Agreement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement) was diplomacy and it did fail.
    Most people would have a more critical perspective (albeit with the benefit of hindsight)
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Here in Hampshire there seems to be a lot of trees down again, at least across the railway line as all trains are cancelled and the company is advising people not to travel
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,584

IanB2 said:

PMSL.

Exactly:

Most people would have a more critical perspective (albeit with the benefit of hindsight)
    Well, it was disastrous diplomacy and the failure killed 50 million people.

Even by the standards of government projects......
This discussion has been closed.