Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Davey-Starmer “pact” is bad news for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,834
edited March 2022 in General
The Davey-Starmer “pact” is bad news for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

This makes another CON majority even less likely. LAB and LDs in informal ‘non-aggression’ pact ahead of next UK election https://t.co/6cWc9orS7W

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,534
    edited February 2022
    First.

I don't think this will make any difference. People vote tactically anyway.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,933
    Looks like we may get to experience life under a 'rainbow coalition'.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    What about Tory pacts with other parties to maintain power? They need to lose lot more than 47?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    tlg86 said:

First.

I saw polling this morning (annoyingly can't work out where) saying that 60% of voters don't know who is in 2nd place in their seat - if true that suggests a lot of people don't have the information to vote tactically.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

I saw polling this morning (annoyingly can't work out where) saying that 60% of voters don't know who is in 2nd place in their seat - if true that suggests a lot of people don't have the information to vote tactically.
    Yep. And that won't change. So Labour will get at least 5% in Guildford.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Labour should have done this many, many years ago. The amount of energy spent by the labour party on hopeless campaigns based on a hatred towards the lib dems is astonishing. It is tribalism at its most dysfunctional and self defeating. They may also want to consider stopping acting like total idiots towards the Green Party, who in my experience have been very receptive towards political collaboration with the labour party, only for labour to take and not give. It is all really quite sad, if you are on the 'progressive left'.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    tlg86 said:

First.

They have to be very careful not to make the alliance too formal - "a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for Labour" may not be the vote-winner they hope.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,711
    On the next general election betting markets another CON majority is rated by punters as a 28% chance. I think that is too high and there is a good case for “laying” the Tories on this market...

Labour 'most seats' at 2.4 looks quite attractive - laying the Con majority ties up quite a bit of cash at those odds.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

They'll get it during any general election campaign, though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

So people say every single General Election.

The four most dangerous words in punting are "this time is different".
  • Options

What about Tory pacts with other parties to maintain power? They need to lose lot more than 47?

With which party? The Tories are uncoalitionable
    I guess it would be the unionists in Northern Ireland, and potentially any populist right wing breakthrough party. But essentially I agree.
  • Options
    Jeez, I thought that was Ronnie and Reggie Kray at first glance.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,997
    I reckon could easily tip a few close seats into the yellow/red column, but very unlikely to decide the election.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Assuming that the next election is fought on the new boundaries, it's likely to be even more confused than we're used to. IIRC last time the boundaries changed there were at least two sets of "notional results", and that was on top of the usual misleading "can't win here" bar charts.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,015
    darkage said:

Looks like we may get to experience life under a 'rainbow coalition'.

I have fond(ish) memories of the 2010-2015 coalition. Rather simplistically I think Cameron and Clegg got on with each other and the worst of Tory madness was tempered by the Lib Dems.
    Maybe a Rainbow coalition could work? But would a new Scottish vote be the price for SNP support?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

I'm not sure that's true. The accurate version is that 60% don't know who actually came second in their constituency. Even allowing for those who don't recall the result, or didn't check who lost in a close 2nd/3rd battle that kind of implies that the event of a GE didn't prompt them to ever find out about the standings.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/14789299211027423 is the source for this by the way, referenced in this article https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/30/if-opposition-parties-abroad-can-put-aside-differences-why-cant-ed-davey-keir-starmer
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Why would it be different ?
    Voters pay attention more during election campaigns than otherwise. Indeed quote a lot of polling shows large numbers can't accurately recall who they voted for last time, but that doesn't stop them voting for their choice when the time comes.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I reckon could easily tip a few close seats into the yellow/red column, but very unlikely to decide the election.

Unlikely, but in the event of its being close, it might.
  • Options
    GE24 will be the same Starmer in the pocket of Sturgeon and it is likely to be more powerful than any labour - lib dem fix
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,743
    On Topic:

This is at least partly to do with the financial situation in the Labour party, I think.

Ed Davey has an version of the problem that Starmer had - that he appears to be a steady pair of hands, but what else?

This is compounded by the Lib Dems not getting the oxygen of publicity. Quite simply, they are invisible in the national discourse at the moment. This is where a Charles Kennedy can really, really help a small party.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Depends who those 60% are - if they're primarily living in safe seats, then who cares. I would guess that swing voters in swing seats are much more likely than average to know how they need to vote for, especially during campaigns.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

First.

They have to be very careful not to make the alliance too formal - "a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for Labour" may not be the vote-winner they hope.
    You're right. Whilst the logic is perfectly reasonable and is compelling in a FPTP voting system, it can easily backfire.

Voters don't like being manipulated like this. I suspect a lot of Tory voters who would not normally be inimical to the idea of lending the LDs their vote might resist if they feel pressured in this way.

It can work, but is probably a better deal for Labour than the LDs and it has to handled very delicately.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Why would it be different ?
    Voters pay attention more during election campaigns than otherwise. Indeed quote a lot of polling shows large numbers can't accurately recall who they voted for last time, but that doesn't stop them voting for their choice when the time comes.
    I think you're talking at cross purposes. For sure, right now people will say who they'd like to vote for. That will change come the election.

But if Labour runs in places like Guildford, they'll get at least 5%. That won't be changing.
  • Options
    Starmer still 8.4 to be next PM on Betfair.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,369
    edited February 2022
    Even if you assume the Lib-Lab pact gets the LDs that extra 30 seats, almost all from the Tories, to get to 41 LD MPs that still means Labour would need to win about 285 seats ie gain at least 82 seats from the Tories for PM Starmer to only need confidence and supply from the LDs to have a majority in Parliament. That is before the boundary changes which would make Labour's task even harder.

If he fails to get those 82 seats or the LDs fail to take all 30 target seats, then Starmer would still need the SNP to get legislation through the Commons even if he likely ends up PM. He would not be able to solely rely on the LDs as Cameron did when he became PM in the hung parliament of 2010
  • Options

GE24 will be the same Starmer in the pocket of Sturgeon and it is likely to be more powerful than any labour - lib dem fix

That pre-supposes the Conservatives campaigning on the assumption that there might/will be a hung Parliament as the default result (as per 2015), which would be a bonkers position to take for a party going in with an 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,940
    I think tactical voting is something which occupies plenty of column inches on sites like this one but in reality is too much of a faff for 95% of the electorate. Will that 5% be critical in determining the next GE outcome? Not sure. Presumably they will be in key marginals where tactical voting might make a difference.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

*very on topic post, tapped into iPhone in coffee shop.

I’m completely opposite view to you Mike. All Boris has done is filibustered. During the filibuster it’s allowed everyone to realise he can’t survive. That filibuster ends this week. My prediction is BORIS RESIGNS NEXT WEEK AFTER LOSING VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.

Why or how?

His questionnaire has to be read by investigators and prosecutors by Friday. He is going to put a confession in writing, hand it to the MET police and lose control of the situation. He really can’t remain silent about the truth any longer than this week, because that questionnaire could be leaked any moment after Friday, he really can’t avoid the truth coming out beyond this week that he did the wrong thing and lied about it.

I now appreciate there is nothing coordinated or calculating about the letters going in. It’s just random, 54 individuals reaching that place in their mind, they don’t even have to go public. That can happen any second.

I also now appreciate it only takes 54 letter quota to be reached to get rid of Boris. Because the vote of no confidence is a vote whether or not to keep him with a vote of confidence - and everyone on the fence will see that as far too risky and waste of time now.

Your scenario is based upon "He is going to put a confession in writing"

But what if he doesn't?
    Why would he? Why would anyone for that matter?

If he says that everything he attended he did for work, or because it was his home, and that he did not consider anything to be illegal or a party then there's no confession of lying there.

This is why people are stupid to pin their hopes on "lying" because it requires more hurdles to be cleared.

In order for something to be a lie you need to demonstrate:
    1: That what was said was not true.
    2: That the person who said it knew it was untrue when they said it.

If I make a mistake that is not a lie. Ignorance is no defence when it comes to the law, but it is a defence against accusations of lying. If he broke his own laws he should go, whether he knew it or not, ignorance is no defence. But to prove he lied is a much tougher (and unnecessary) threshold to clear.
    Always good to hear from you and engaging with you Bart 🙂

It’s very simple and quick for me two answer both these posts.

What if he doesn’t confess?

The simple answer is the investigator doesn’t need him to confess in order to convict.

However, not being straight with the investigator is even more politically damaging. To put on his form different to what the investigator knows and can prove is toxic to all the people receiving forms. To receive a simple fine, yet still be protesting innocence equates to about between 11 and 21 votes of support in the VONC.

All I am saying is, he broke the law, he lied to parliament. Everybody knows this. All his friends know this. Babies speaking their first words are coming out with Boris is a liar. Dogs know it, are barking about it all the time. And the period of kicking can down road ends this week. Because just as he is about to get up at PMQs and say wait for process to finish, it might just have been published by the media and on everyone’s phones - the moment he hands it in he’s lost control.

And when the process does complete/or leaked early, there is no way back, he cannot prevent the 54 letters or loss in VONC.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

I'm not sure that's true. The accurate version is that 60% don't know who actually came second in their constituency. Even allowing for those who don't recall the result, or didn't check who lost in a close 2nd/3rd battle that kind of implies that the event of a GE didn't prompt them to ever find out about the standings.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/14789299211027423 is the source for this by the way, referenced in this article https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/30/if-opposition-parties-abroad-can-put-aside-differences-why-cant-ed-davey-keir-starmer
    But note what your linked paper concluded:
    ...If Labour had joined the Unite to Remain pact, it would most likely have contributed around eight extra seats to the Liberal Democrats, with Labour gaining perhaps two or three additional seats....

Not a massive effect, but an effect nonetheless.
    And in any prospective general election, it would be a simple anti-Tory agreement, so the confounding effects of the 'overturning the Brexit vote' issue would be absent.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,827
    edited February 2022

The only viable coalition partner for the Conservatives is the DUP.
    The DUP are highly unlikely to win more than 10 seats, so the Conservatives can't fall below 312.

I seriously doubt any other party would consider a coalition with the Conservatives, certainly none would consider it under a Johnson-led Conservative party.

The Lib Dems clearly have history, but I can't see them picking the Conservatives. In 2010, the momentum was behind the Conservatives consigning Labour to the dustbin. If the situation is such that the Conservatives lose enough seats to be unable to form a majority even with the DUP, the momentum will be against them and I think the LDs will support Labour.
    Of course, this could, depending on the seats total and vote total, result in the Conservatives being the largest party both in terms of seats and votes, but losing power.

But that's the system.

Incidently, depending on the results, if Labour + LD aren't enough either, I can't see a Lab/LD/SNP alliance lasting long. We'd have to have another election within a couple of years (hurrah!).
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,527
    Good news everyone!

'Deadline to register England’s footpaths cancelled after public access campaign'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/17/deadline-to-register-englands-footpaths-cancelled-after-public-access-campaign
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

...If Labour had joined the Unite to Remain pact, it would most likely have contributed around eight extra seats to the Liberal Democrats, with Labour gaining perhaps two or three additional seats....

And in any prospective general election, it would be a simple anti-Tory agreement, so the confounding effects of the 'overturning the Brexit vote' issue would be absent.
    "If Labour had joined the Unite to Remain pact"

Also known as, standing aside in Lib Dem targets.

That isn't what's being discussed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think tactical voting is something which occupies plenty of column inches on sites like this one but in reality is too much of a faff for 95% of the electorate. Will that 5% be critical in determining the next GE outcome? Not sure. Presumably they will be in key marginals where tactical voting might make a difference.

ICYMI:

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/01/23/analysing-labour-lib-dem-tactical-voting-since-1983/

There's nothing new under the sun etc. etc.
  • Options
    On topic, this is a self-correcting phenomenon. If the pact is too explicit, it loses as many votes as it gains, because the parties aren't interchangeable (if they were, they would merge), and in any case voters don't like being manipulated. If it's not explicit, it makes no difference to what would happen anyway - there are incredibly few 3-way marginals - even assuming these would be affected by the pact, which they wouldn't be - and it's hardly news that parties don't campaign much in seats they are a distant third in with no real prospect of gaining. I don't think the "sweet spot" in between these two options actually exists.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247
    TOPPING said:

To some extent it doesn't require the public to even know about it. We've seen what happens when activists flood a constituency; it can move the needle. Voters respond to contact (and lack of contact) with parties.
    Especially valuable if you're looking to convert former Conservative voters who might be minded to stay at home or might be minded to vote for another party. Knocking those doors in sufficient quantity could turn an election.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,903
    Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

I can quite believe that (or higher) now, but I'd hope that at an election it would drop a bit. But maybe not.

I'm not absolutely sure how many understand that they are voting for their local MP and not directly for their choice of PM.

I met people after the EU ref who did not vote because, they claimed, they were in a safe* constituency so it wouldn't matter. That does of course suggest those people understand how a GE works, but also that they don't pay a lot of attention when asked to vote.

*i.e. one that with a clear constituency majority for one of Leave or Remain
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,414
    TOPPING said:

It's a lot more than you might think. The latest MRP poll suggests that Labour is on around 22% in my constituency, but we actually polled 8% in 2019. Even allowing for some improvement nationally, that gap is nearly all tactical voting.

The thing is that the number of seriously partisan people (like me) is pretty small. Lots of voters toddle along to the voting booth thinking that they'd like to support or oppose the government, and will go by things like who sent them most leaflets and figured on their social media. If they're polled between elections, they give their general preference, but that's not necessarily how they vote.

Which isn't to say that people should only vote on tactical grounds. If you're really keen on showing support for a party's programme, you might prioritise that over beating a particular opponent. That's your democratic right and nobody should tell you off for it. But for a lot of voters, deciding who's in government really is the key issue.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

No, it's not.
    But what is being talked about - potentially quite a long way before the next election - is of far more substance than any arrangement between the two parties in 2019.
    Rather than a last minute cobbled together deal, it's (possibly at least) something quite significant, since the messaging and direction of resources has some time to take hold.
  • Options

The DUP are highly unlikely to win more than 10 seats, so the Conservatives can't fall below 312.

I seriously doubt any other party would consider a coalition with the Conservatives, certainly none would consider it under a Johnson-led Conservative party.

The Lib Dems clearly have history, but I can't see them picking the Conservatives. In 2010, the momentum was behind the Conservatives consigning Labour to the dustbin. If the situation is such that the Conservatives lose enough seats to be unable to form a majority even with the DUP, the momentum will be against them and I think the LDs will support Labour.
    Of course, this could, depending on the seats total and vote total, result in the Conservatives being the largest party both in terms of seats and votes, but losing power.

But that's the system.

Incidently, depending on the results, if Labour + LD aren't enough either, I can't see a Lab/LD/SNP alliance lasting long. We'd have to have another election within a couple of years (hurrah!).
    I agree with all the replies to me. I am playing a bit of devil’s advocate 😈
    Truth is though, there are plenty ifs and buts to kick around on this thread. Here’s a good one. Support can come in different ways, at its basic level support defeating LOTO vonc and support to pass budget in return to for certain bit of legislation put to Parliament? So the Scot Nats give that basic support in return for an independence referendum they are not going to get from alternative government. Even that promise can come with sweeteners, like choose your own wording?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

On topic, this is a self-correcting phenomenon. If the pact is too explicit, it loses as many votes as it gains, because the parties aren't interchangeable (if they were, they would merge), and in any case voters don't like being manipulated. If it's not explicit, it makes no difference to what would happen anyway - there are incredibly few 3-way marginals - even assuming these would be affected by the pact, which they wouldn't be - and it's hardly news that parties don't campaign much in seats they are a distant third in with no real prospect of gaining. I don't think the "sweet spot" in between these two options actually exists.

I think this is probably true, though @Farooq makes the correct point that standing down campaigning to allow another party to flood the constituency contact will still make a big difference in a marginal - more effect if less explicit.

Actually refraining from standing a candidate is another matter though - if only one of Lab/Lib/Green stands, then sure, there will be some supporters of the non-standing party who will vote Con out of spite/anger at being manipulated. But for every one of those there will be lots more (2? 10? I don't know) who aren't very politically engaged who will just look at the ballot paper and think "funny, I normally vote Labour, but since they aren't here that Lib Dem looks OK".
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,709
    edited February 2022

I’m completely opposite view to you Mike. All Boris has done is filibustered. During the filibuster it’s allowed everyone to realise he can’t survive. That filibuster ends this week. My prediction is BORIS RESIGNS NEXT WEEK AFTER LOSING VOTE OF CONFIDENCE.

Why or how?

His questionnaire has to be read by investigators and prosecutors by Friday. He is going to put a confession in writing, hand it to the MET police and lose control of the situation. He really can’t remain silent about the truth any longer than this week, because that questionnaire could be leaked any moment after Friday, he really can’t avoid the truth coming out beyond this week that he did the wrong thing and lied about it.

I now appreciate there is nothing coordinated or calculating about the letters going in. It’s just random, 54 individuals reaching that place in their mind, they don’t even have to go public. That can happen any second.

I also now appreciate it only takes 54 letter quota to be reached to get rid of Boris. Because the vote of no confidence is a vote whether or not to keep him with a vote of confidence - and everyone on the fence will see that as far too risky and waste of time now.

But what if he doesn't?

If he says that everything he attended he did for work, or because it was his home, and that he did not consider anything to be illegal or a party then there's no confession of lying there.

This is why people are stupid to pin their hopes on "lying" because it requires more hurdles to be cleared.

If I make a mistake that is not a lie. Ignorance is no defence when it comes to the law, but it is a defence against accusations of lying. If he broke his own laws he should go, whether he knew it or not, ignorance is no defence. But to prove he lied is a much tougher (and unnecessary) threshold to clear.

The simple answer is the investigator doesn’t need him to confess in order to convict.

However, not being straight with the investigator is even more politically damaging. To put on his form different to what the investigator knows and can prove is toxic to all the people receiving forms. To receive a simple fine, yet still be protesting innocence equates to about between 11 and 21 votes of support in the VONC.

All I am saying is, he broke the law, he lied to parliament. Everybody knows this. All his friends know this. Babies speaking their first words are coming out with Boris is a liar. Dogs know it, are barking about it all the time. And the period of kicking can down road ends this week. Because just as he is about to get up at PMQs and say wait for process to finish, it might just have been published by the media and on everyone’s phones - the moment he hands it in he’s lost control.

And when the process does complete/or leaked early, there is no way back, he cannot prevent the 54 letters or loss in VONC.
    It is a simple truism that this is not necessarily correct.

A lie is only a lie if you knowingly mislead.
    Lawbreaking is still law breaking even if you did so unknowingly.

It's possible to be wrong but not lie. Ignorance means you didn't lie, but is no defence on the law.

Furthermore parties isn't relevant to the law and never was. It's entirely possible that he attended illegal gatherings but no illegal parties. In which case he's broken the law, but not lied to Parliament.

So there's multiple ways to say he's broken the law without lying to Parliament. Which is why the former is what people should be concentrating on.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,827

But that's the system.

And to add:

I can see any two party coalition lasting the full five years. I can't see any three party coalition doing the same.

So Lab/LD/SNP won't last, nor will Con/DUP/LD (if that was required).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's a lot more than you might think. The latest MRP poll suggests that Labour is on around 22% in my constituency, but we actually polled 8% in 2019. Even allowing for some improvement nationally, that gap is nearly all tactical voting.

The thing is that the number of seriously partisan people (like me) is pretty small. Lots of voters toddle along to the voting booth thinking that they'd like to support or oppose the government, and will go by things like who sent them most leaflets and figured on their social media. If they're polled between elections, they give their general preference, but that's not necessarily how they vote.

Which isn't to say that people should only vote on tactical grounds. If you're really keen on showing support for a party's programme, you might prioritise that over beating a particular opponent. That's your democratic right and nobody should tell you off for it. But for a lot of voters, deciding who's in government really is the key issue.
    Correct, Nick. Despite my strong political views, I always seem to end up voting tactfully.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,558
    Another blow for Carlotta..............

NEW research from EuroStat has revealed that Scotland has the best-educated population in Europe, in a blow to opposition parties.

According to the body, which is the statistical office of the European Union but also compiles data for non-EU states, Scotland has been number one for the percentage of 25-61-year-olds educated up to degree level for every year between 2011 and 2019 (the last year for which data is available”.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

No, it's not.
    But what is being talked about - potentially quite a long way before the next election - is of far more substance than any arrangement between the two parties in 2019.
    Rather than a last minute cobbled together deal, it's (possibly at least) something quite significant, since the messaging and direction of resources has some time to take hold.
    And it won't make any difference.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,414
    edited February 2022
    darkage said:

Labour should have done this many, many years ago. The amount of energy spent by the labour party on hopeless campaigns based on a hatred towards the lib dems is astonishing. It is tribalism at its most dysfunctional and self defeating. They may also want to consider stopping acting like total idiots towards the Green Party, who in my experience have been very receptive towards political collaboration with the labour party, only for labour to take and not give. It is all really quite sad, if you are on the 'progressive left'.

There are lots of anecdotes both ways, but my perception is that Greens in many areas are less willing to play the game than LibDems (or Labour), because Greens sometimes feel the cause takes precedence over anything else. My personal example is that I lost in 2010 by 0.7%, less than the Green candidate who insisted on standing even though I agreed with him on virtually everything, and got under 1%.

A year later, he joined the Labour Party. It made me laugh as I don't take politics too fanatically (and who knows if his voters would really have voted for me?), but some of my supporters were rather less amused.
  • Options

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

It's possible to be wrong but not lie. Ignorance means you didn't lie, but is no defence on the law.

Furthermore parties isn't relevant to the law and never was. It's entirely possible that he attended illegal gatherings but no illegal parties. In which case he's broken the law, but not lied to Parliament.

So there's multiple ways to say he's broken the law without lying to Parliament. Which is why the former is what people should be concentrating on.
    I said on the previous thread I hadn't been able to find a list of all the PM's statements in Parliament on this matter - have you seen anything similar? I am fairly sure his comments in Parliament are not restricted to saying that he didn't go to any parties, and in a couple of the longer debates there were repeated statements along the lines of "I repeat that all guidelines were followed at all times". Wouldn't that mean he's lied to Parliament?
  • Options

But that's the system.

Truth is though, there are plenty ifs and buts to kick around on this thread. Here’s a good one. Support can come in different ways, at its basic level support defeating LOTO vonc and support to pass budget in return to for certain bit of legislation put to Parliament? So the Scot Nats give that basic support in return for an independence referendum they are not going to get from alternative government. Even that promise can come with sweeteners, like choose your own wording?
    Puts on tin hat and expects plenty NEVER NEVER NEVER in Scottish, and Swedish, tone 🙂
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,114
    malcolmg said:

NEW research from EuroStat has revealed that Scotland has the best-educated population in Europe, in a blow to opposition parties.

According to the body, which is the statistical office of the European Union but also compiles data for non-EU states, Scotland has been number one for the percentage of 25-61-year-olds educated up to degree level for every year between 2011 and 2019 (the last year for which data is available”.

That's lovely - shame it doesn't reflect productivity when you compare Scotland to say Germany or elsewhere.

And it's not a dig but educational level doesn't help unless everything else is also in place.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    What's getting ignored on here is that many labour staff and campaigners are well to the left of Starmer and they will not see this as welcome news at all.

Erdington will tell us if Starmer has a problem on his left, as well as whether Johnson has a problem on his right.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,134
    edited February 2022
    malcolmg said:

Having a degree != best educated. I mean, you could have done PPE...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The facts are useful, Malcolm, but I think us posters here on PB might have guessed as much from your own stunningly articulate and educated contributions to this site.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,080
    malcolmg said:

That doesn't necessarily appear to be to the credit of the current Scottish government though.

Purely as an indication, if in 2015 there were a lot of 50 year olds with degrees, and that is the metric we are looking for for success, that would appear to be to the credit of whoever was making the decisions in the eighties.
  • Options

But that's the system.

Puts on tin hat and expects plenty NEVER NEVER NEVER in Scottish, and Swedish, tone 🙂
    Far too quiet… did I need to insert the word Torys? Okay -

So the Scot Nats give that basic support TO THE TORIES in return for an independence referendum they are not going to get from alternative government. Even that promise can come with sweeteners, like choose your own wording?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,229
    Isn't this what normally happens anyway.

Until the 2019 election my MP was usually campaigning in local marginals rather than his own seat.

This is just red meat for the PrOgReSsIvE aLlIaNcE, Led By Donkeys, Centrist dad brigade.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

That's lovely - shame it doesn't reflect productivity when you compare Scotland to say Germany or elsewhere.

And it's not a dig but educational level doesn't help unless everything else is also in place.
    Scotland does have higher productivity than most regions of England outside of London and the SE (which also have higher graduate shares). Germany is an outlier in achieving high productivity with relatively few graduates (because it has a big manufacturing sector and excellent technical education, an area where it has surpassed the UK for about 150 years).
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Polruan said:

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

I said on the previous thread I hadn't been able to find a list of all the PM's statements in Parliament on this matter - have you seen anything similar? I am fairly sure his comments in Parliament are not restricted to saying that he didn't go to any parties, and in a couple of the longer debates there were repeated statements along the lines of "I repeat that all guidelines were followed at all times". Wouldn't that mean he's lied to Parliament?
    Only if he knew it was untrue. If he genuinely thought the events were covered by the work exemption then that would make him a fool, but not a liar.
  • Options
    Is it me, or is Social Media just s***.

Liz Truss put up a serious post about Russia and Ukraine, and the replies are nothing but jibes attack and stupid jokes...
  • Options
    Taz said:

Isn't this what normally happens anyway.

Until the 2019 election my MP was usually campaigning in local marginals rather than his own seat.

This is just red meat for the PrOgReSsIvE aLlIaNcE, Led By Donkeys, Centrist dad brigade.

Rainbow meat, obviously. Red meat's far too partisan.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,229

In its current form you are absolutely correct.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,691
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Assuming that the next election is fought on the new boundaries, it's likely to be even more confused than we're used to. IIRC last time the boundaries changed there were at least two sets of "notional results", and that was on top of the usual misleading "can't win here" bar charts.
    Wouldn't matter if we used STV of course. Voters wouldn't have to guess how other voters were going to vote in order to decide how best to use their vote.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Correct, Nick. Despite my strong political views, I always seem to end up voting tactfully.
    I think I always vote tactfully. I am always polite to all the tellers, even those representing parties I didn't vote for, and do nothing to put any noses out of joint.
    I vote tactfully rather more often than I vote tactically.
  • Options

Liz Truss put up a serious post about Russia and Ukraine, and the replies are nothing but jibes attack and stupid jokes...

I suppose if someone engages with social media in order to build their profile on social media, it can't be a massive surprise if social media users mock them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,735
    Polruan said:

tlg86 said:

First.

Maybe. These things can be gut feel. In 2017 some scottish seats it was unclear who might be the main SNP challenger, and in some cases Con won from third. We've just seen a by election where the one coming second last time were not the tactical choice.

If enough people are suitably motivated to be anti tory they will figure out the best approach. Lessened campaigning would impact that only a little, but small differences can have effect in tighter contests.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

That doesn't necessarily appear to be to the credit of the current Scottish government though.

Purely as an indication, if in 2015 there were a lot of 50 year olds with degrees, and that is the metric we are looking for for success, that would appear to be to the credit of whoever was making the decisions in the eighties.
    On the other hand it shows that Scotland apparently remains an attractive place for graduates to live.
    I think it's fashionable in come circles to talk about attracting and retaining the brightest and the best being a Good Thing, but it's not for me to say.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,735
    edited February 2022
    Applicant said:

Polruan said:

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

Only if he knew it was untrue. If he genuinely thought the events were covered by the work exemption then that would make him a fool, but not a liar.
    Yes, the last desperate defence of many a politician. They only use it when no other options are left giving admitting idiocy (not that they use that phrase) is hardly ideal.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,580

She flew to Ukraine to do it

Another photo-op...
  • Options
    Taz said:

In its current form you are absolutely correct.
    Certainly apart from the DUP but even the DUP would probably now only back the Tories if they invoked Article 16 and moved more in the ERG direction.

So basically either the Tories win another majority at the next general election, or if they fall just short they will have to become even more hardline on Brexit and with the EU to stay in power.

If even the DUP support would not be enough for the Tories to remain in power then the Tories will go into opposition and Starmer would become PM
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,580
    Oust Boris? Team Starmer have other ideas

New @spectator politics column 👇

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/no-one-has-done-more-to-save-boris-than-keir-starmer
  • Options

Social media is just shit, yes.

I'd like to see a separation: if Liz Truss wants to post something, let her do so. On a website, perhaps.
    If people want to comment or complain, let them have their own website for doing so, or else find their place on one of the internet's many other fora for discussing politics.
    I don't see why everybody else's opinions - which are necessarily dominated by those who post without really thinking, since they can post more quickly - should form part of anything any minister (or indeed anyone else) has to say).
    I am aware of the potential inconsistency with using a comments field in a blog post for making this point.
  • Options

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

You need an honest plot recap Bart.
    First of all he told the house there weren’t any parties. He was not aware of any. Then one emerged, and Johnson was furious in the commons it had happened, disgusted with everyone who attended it when rest of the country were following his lockdown rules. Then it emerged he was actually there itself.
    It was at this moment all hell broke loose in every measure of opinion poll rating. Across the country dogs started barking, birds took to the sky squawking, pigs lifted their heads out the trough and blinked, whilst Boris tried to reclassify parties as work events (still illegal mind you) and totting up the minutes he claimed was at each one.

Out by Tuesday imo.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Polruan said:

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

In the absence of being able to look into the speaker's mind (probably not recommended in the case of Johnson) we can't know what he genuinely thought, but the evidence of the press conferences he gave, the questions from the public he answered, the laws that he approved and the briefing from scientists and civil servants he received before deciding on the laws all point very strongly to the fact that he knew that there was no such exemption.

There's a separate argument that many habitual liars are capable of lying in the way they do because they can convince themselves that whatever they are saying at the time is the truth. It would be difficult to hold the position that it's OK to mislead Parliament as long as the PM misled himself about what he had previously known to be true.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not as high as London though (which has a bigger population than Scotland).

60% of those of working age in inner London and 50% of those of working age across London as a whole are graduates compared to 41% of Scots of working age who have a degree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25002401

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/graduatesintheuklabourmarket/2017
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited February 2022

She shouldn't use social media, it demeans the office she holds. Write something in the Guardian or Times, then she might get taken seriously. As it is she's a complete lightweight playing Mrs Thatcher dress up on Instagram.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, the imbecile is safe.

He's shameless. The Conservative Party is spineless.

It's a match made in Hell.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,359
    MaxPB said:

She shouldn't use social media, it demeans the office she holds. Write something in the Guardian or Times, then she might get taken seriously. As it is she's a complete lightweight playing Mrs Thatcher dress up on Instagram.
    She certainly shouldn't be putting up the views of the British state (For that is what she is in her role as Foreign Sec) behind paywalled articles.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Goodness, we wouldn't want anything to demean the office that [checks notes] Boris Johnson used to hold.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,943

TOPPING said:

Yes @NickPalmer you are spot on as discussed before I can confirm that for where you live. In the election where we won Guildford it was a joint campaign with SW Surrey (the main target in fact). We polled SWSurrey before the election and the Labour support was not insignificant yet we came within under 1000 of taking the seat with Labour nowhere.
  • Options
    On topic, 1997 still haunts me.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662
    Tactical voting happened in 1997 on a big scale.
    It is why we saw a much bigger Labour majority than predicted on a much smaller share and margin than foreseen.
    That was on new boundaries too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

She certainly shouldn't be putting up the views of the British state (For that is what she is in her role as Foreign Sec) behind paywalled articles.
    I'm sure if she asked they would unpaywall her article. Either way, social media isn't the place for serious discussion or serious people. Her use of it shows how much of a lightweight she is. Dave's old adage is still true to this day - too many tweets make a twat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Not as high as London though (which has a bigger population than Scotland).

60% of those of working age in inner London and 50% of those of working age across London as a whole are graduates compared to 41% of Scots of working age who have a degree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25002401

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/graduatesintheuklabourmarket/2017
    There is a difference though - most graduates in Scotland graduated in Scotland. I would guess that most graduates in London are not native Londoners, rather they have been drawn here by high numbers of graduate jobs in the professions, the arts, finance and the public sector. A few London resident graduates, like me, are even Scottish!
    Scotland has long had a better record on education than England - for a long time it had 4 universities to England's 2. When I left school in 1993 I think at least half of my year went on to Uni, some after Highers the year before. This was from a comprehensive school well before Blair's drive to have 50% go to university. The attitude that education is a means of social progression is fairly commonplace among working class Scots, in my experience. Down here it is more unusual except among the children of immigrants.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,940
    Thanks for all the responses on tactical voting.

Interesting that not everyone is as lazy and inattentive as me and that there is a significant amount of tactical voting going on.

I would be interested to know, for example Nick, how you can be sure or reasonably sure that that 22% - 8% gap is tactical voting rather than peoples' change of mind.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,317

She gets about 1% of the abuse she deserves.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Social media is just shit, yes.

I'd like to see a separation: if Liz Truss wants to post something, let her do so. On a website, perhaps.
    If people want to comment or complain, let them have their own website for doing so, or else find their place on one of the internet's many other fora for discussing politics.
    I don't see why everybody else's opinions - which are necessarily dominated by those who post without really thinking, since they can post more quickly - should form part of anything any minister (or indeed anyone else) has to say).
    I am aware of the potential inconsistency with using a comments field in a blog post for making this point.
    Social media is how a large chunk of the country communicates - and gets their information.

For government to just ignore that, would be stupid.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,606

It is sad to see so many essentially cheering on Russian games and misogyny because they don't like the Tories. You can dislike Truss without parroting the Kremlin.
  • Options
    glw said:

It is sad to see so many essentially cheering on Russian games and misogyny because they don't like the Tories. You can dislike Truss without parroting the Kremlin.
    It is the fact that the situation is so grave that makes having a narcissistic lightweight like Truss in the role all the worse.
  • Options
    glw said:

Perhaps Boris's best approach now is to try and persuade the Russians to comment on his breaches of lockdown rules, so that his outriders can accuse his critics of "parroting the Kremlin".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,461
    "My understanding is that both parties will still be fielding candidates in all the GB seats but will just run token campaigns in seats where the other party is the obvious contender."

As that's pretty much what they both do anyway, I assume the only difference is that they are publicising the fact in order to encourage tactical voting?
  • Options
    glw said:

I've encountered Tankies who believe that since the West backed the non-Serbian sides in the Yugoslav Wars, that this meant the Serbs were justified in what they did.

By justified, they use the "only x died at" excuse for this -

Once you have done full genocide denial, a bit of Putin snuggling must come easy.
  • Options

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

First of all he told the house there weren’t any parties. He was not aware of any. Then one emerged, and Johnson was furious in the commons it had happened, disgusted with everyone who attended it when rest of the country were following his lockdown rules. Then it emerged he was actually there itself.
    It was at this moment all hell broke loose in every measure of opinion poll rating. Across the country dogs started barking, birds took to the sky squawking, pigs lifted their heads out the trough and blinked, whilst Boris tried to reclassify parties as work events (still illegal mind you) and totting up the minutes he claimed was at each one.

Out by Tuesday imo.
    I think anyone predicting when Boris is going to leave hasn't counted up the times he hasn't.

Currently if there is film of him dancing to a disco, stark naked, swigging from a bottle of bubbly with a paper hat on, he would still be at the despatch box saying he wasn't there, and it wasn't a party but a work event, and he didn't know it was happening, and he is furious if it was
  • Options

This is a disgrace.
    Liz posting something serious ?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sure if she asked they would unpaywall her article. Either way, social media isn't the place for serious discussion or serious people. Her use of it shows how much of a lightweight she is. Dave's old adage is still true to this day - too many tweets make a twat.
    The Guardian isn't paywalled.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Why or how?

But what if he doesn't?

Out by Tuesday imo.
    I think anyone predicting when Boris is going to leave hasn't counted up the times he hasn't.

Currently if there is film of him dancing to a disco, stark naked, swigging from a bottle of bubbly with a paper hat on, he would still be at the despatch box saying he wasn't there, and it wasn't a party but a work event, and he didn't know it was happening, and he is furious if it was
    And Barty claiming it's every Englishman's birthright to dance naked in the workplace, etc
  • Options
    glw said:

A fair number of those will be Russian bots.
  • Options

On topic, 1997 still haunts me.

Ha ha, best night of my life, politically speaking.
    "a new day has dawned, has it not?" The next day the sun was shining and everyone had a smile on their faces, even with a hangover. What a time to be alive!
    I remember when the Northavon result came in thinking 'what, where, who'.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Weather oop north leading the One O'clock news.
This discussion has been closed.