Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Midlands region Johnson exceptionalism continues – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

I wonder if this will invite the usual sneers:]

What's happening to Boris Johnson's support? A thread based on a talk I gave last week

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1493135620465729537

Interesting stuff which just reinforces by Brexit vs BREXIT point. You can't keep people happy because BREXIT is unachievable.
    64% of Tory voters now think the clown is "incompetent"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Heathener said:

Roger said:

Interesting article by Trevor Kavanagh in that it's written in such a juvenile style. It could have been written by a none too bright fourteen year old. Maybe it's just the standard on PB is so high?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17640409/john-major-boris-johnson-attack/?rec_article=true

At the risk of annoying people like Leon, it's written for 14-year olds because that's the approximate intelligence of a lot of people who were suckered into voting for Brexit (Sun readers).

It was the stupidest decision in the history of the UK, which a significant majority of the country, including those who voted for it, now recognise. And Boris Johnson, who never believed in Brexit and is European through-and-through, jumped on the bandwagon at the very last minute purely for political expediency.

From a Labour viewpoint, a situation where half the 2019 Tory voters feel that they will only vote Tory again if Boris stays (to save Brexit), and half will only vote Tory if he goes (because of Partygate) sounds...rather nice.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Interesting article by Trevor Kavanagh in that it's written in such a juvenile style. It could have been written by a none too bright fourteen year old. Maybe it's just the standard on PB is so high?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17640409/john-major-boris-johnson-attack/?rec_article=true

At the risk of annoying people like Leon, it's written for 14-year olds because that's the approximate intelligence of a lot of people who were suckered into voting for Brexit (Sun readers).

It was the stupidest decision in the history of the UK, which a significant majority of the country, including those who voted for it, now recognise. And Boris Johnson, who never believed in Brexit and is European through-and-through, jumped on the bandwagon at the very last minute purely for political expediency.

Brexit is a separate issue.

With regards to The Sun - and other tabloids do similar - remember that most readers don't care that much for politics or national issues. They care about their own family, about their job, about where they live (in an abstract sense because they likely don't know most of their neighbours and dislike the ones they do know), about sport and telly, and about an abstract sense of what their country is.

The newspapers fuel that range of views. Make sport and Big Telly as important an issue as anything. Sing simplistic stories about Queen, country and "culture" (which is what the reader likes). Take issues that they don't know about or care about but think are probably important and distil them down into bitesize issues which then get positioned to reinforce the rest. Easy to keep people buying the newspaper when it tells them what they want to know and that what they think is what every right-minded person thinks.

So don't dismiss Trevor Kavannah for writing a juvenile article. It is anything but - expertly crafted by someone with a lifetime of experience to push every button. Cynical yes. Dangerous yes. But he isn't a child writing to idiots. Remember that its not a silly question if you reasonably don't know the answer - and we have millions of people who don't know, don't care and are kept in a knowledge state where they never will know or care.
    A very dystopian view which is possibly close to the mark but the juvenility that struck me most was the way he tried to destroy John Major. These days polemics are much more subtle. Even Sun readers will just skim over that sort of thing. Advertising has taken the art of persuasion way past those schoolboy insults
    The bit at the bottom contrasting Priti Patel with "Genghis" (the Mayor of London) was worse, if anything.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

With regards to energy needs, I am doing my bit. In December I recommissioned the geriatric storage heaters here in the old bank so that the contractors doing a full replaster had the right conditions. Said storage heaters are Old but Functional.

And then the energy bill arrives. Geriatric heating system now turned off permanently...

Surely you're going to need some heat from somewhere to dry the plaster out?
    I did over Christmas. Now all completed. Its the bill for the month or so that I had the system switched back on which was exciting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,474
    edited February 2022
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

I agree that it's the stupidest decision in the recent history of the UK and why 'Remoaners' will never let it go.

To be anchored to the most diverse and culturally interesting continent in the world was a daily delight. To have the same relationship to Paris Florence and Athens as we have to any provincial town in the UK was magical.

To have had the freedom to work and live in Venice as easily as Harlepool and to throw it away makes many of us feel physically sick.

And for what? So that we could facilitate Boris Johnson's rise to PM? So Jacob Rees Mogg could be a big fish in a smaller pond? So some East Coast town didn't have to hear people talking foreign languages.....
    Absolutely!

I don't think even the most vocal Remainers thought the EU was anything other than unwieldy and incompetent, verging in some instances on the corrupt, but the trade off we gained from being able to live and work unfettered, from the Southern tip of Sicily to the Arctic Circle and most points in between, was worth it. And of course if we were sick whilst we were there, we would be cared for by our European friends, because we were part of the club.

And the very same people pointing the finger at EU wastage and fraud are defending PPE contracts and parties.

I suppose leaving the EU got us the inch-perfect Boris Johnson premiership we all craved (an 80 seat majority doesn't lie) which made it all worthwhile... for Boris Johnson.
This discussion has been closed.