Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Right has the edge in South Korea – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited February 2022 in General
imageThe Right has the edge in South Korea – politicalbetting.com

British politics has never been more febrile but, as has been pointed out on this site, a general election probably isn’t imminent. But no matter, there are plenty of other countries to provide.

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    First as someone will not doubt be.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    edited February 2022
    Surely not first?

EDIT: Surely. Not first......
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Great header. It let the sun in. 🙂
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    A nutter on Newsnight....sorry two nutters
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Excellent, always good to look further afield.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    "former prosecutor Yoon Seok-youl, has been forced to deny being unduly influenced by his favourite shaman (really)."

Could he move any mountain?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

"former prosecutor Yoon Seok-youl, has been forced to deny being unduly influenced by his favourite shaman (really)."

Koreas are good.
  • The US and partners massively stepping up Ukraine warnings today is part of a strategy to deny Putin any space for a false flag op and claim that Ukraine is aggressor, I am told

https://twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1492267476071194629?s=20
  • "former prosecutor Yoon Seok-youl, has been forced to deny being unduly influenced by his favourite shaman (really)."

Kimchees are good.
  • The US and partners massively stepping up Ukraine warnings today is part of a strategy to deny Putin any space for a false flag op and claim that Ukraine is aggressor, I am told

As I said earlier, these warnings were part of the chess game to put pressure on Putin.
  • The only exposure of South Korean politics I have is watching the SK remake of Designated Survivor on Netflix. I really liked it, though kept imagining a UK remake. During the Queen's Speech I understand a member of parliament is held hostage by the Crown, could be a good premise for a UK version. BBC, I am available for a fee...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    Saw about half the Branagh remake of Death on the Nile this evening. Left the cinema roughly half way through, just couldn't do it. I slept through most of the first one but just couldn't nod off in this one.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited February 2022
    Hopefully South Korea can then be brought into a new 'NATO of the Far East' with Japan, Australia, India, Singapore etc under US leadership. Much as the Quad Alliance seeks to do
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    Spent the evening watching Alphago the Movie.
    Then watching the games trying to understand what was going on.
    I am sure any society obsessed by Go won't be swayed by an empty three word slogan.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    @robcrilly
    The US and partners massively stepping up Ukraine warnings today is part of a strategy to deny Putin any space for a false flag op and claim that Ukraine is aggressor, I am told

https://twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1492267476071194629
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    Totally unrelated: I just got my first ever Row 2 in Wordle.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Pip's pieces are always a pleasure to read!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    Quincel said:

Wordle 238 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟨🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pulled it out at the last minute. What was your starting word?
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    carnforth said:

Quincel said:

Wordle 238 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
    🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟨🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pulled it out at the last minute. What was your starting word?
    I use the previous day's word to mix it up every time. Unusually useful this time.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited February 2022

Saw about half the Branagh remake of Death on the Nile this evening. Left the cinema roughly half way through, just couldn't do it. I slept through most of the first one but just couldn't nod off in this one.

Having also suffered through Orient Express, I won't be bothering. That was truly truly dreadful. Not only did it fail to do much with the plot, the attention to detail was zero.

I watched the original Death on the Nile as a chaser and Ustinov or not, it did at least remember that the main point of an Agatha Christie is to tell a story and give the watcher a few clues along the way. It was 1000 times better and I can quite believe that the same applies to this remake.

What were they thinking?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

The reviews have been 'meh'. But my wife has seen the Ustinov one a dozen times, so I'm seeing it tomorrow.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    edited February 2022
    "Reuters
    @Reuters

French President Emmanuel Macron refused a Kremlin request that he take a Russian COVID-19 test when he arrived to see President Vladimir Putin this week, to prevent Russia getting hold of Macron's DNA, two sources in Macron's entourage told Reuters https://reut.rs/3rFYGWZ "
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

The reviews have been 'meh'. But my wife has seen the Ustinov one a dozen times, so I'm seeing it tomorrow.
    The Branagh DOTN suffers in comparison with the Ustinov version for being totally humourless. You’d have thought an actor like Branagh would understand the importance of the Porter’s scene from the Scottish play for example, but no. Branangh also seems to think it’s all about character, when with Christie it’s all about plot. It was always going to be tough topping a version with Bette Davis and Maggie Smith sparring and Angela Lansbury chewing the scenery and they don’t.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Always good to have something on politics further afield.

On Death on the Nile: I saw an advert for that and thought the moustache was beyond parody. Unusually for me, I did recently watch the Ustinov version and really rather liked it.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Andy_JS said:

"Reuters
    @Reuters

French President Emmanuel Macron refused a Kremlin request that he take a Russian COVID-19 test when he arrived to see President Vladimir Putin this week, to prevent Russia getting hold of Macron's DNA, two sources in Macron's entourage told Reuters https://reut.rs/3rFYGWZ "

Geopolitics

😂
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349

Koreas are good.
    Nice reference to the song, that even the artist was surprised was allowed on the Radio 1 playlist!
  • Interviewed under police caution.

Dearie dearie me. Con MPs really are a spineless bunch.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

rcs1000 said:

The Branagh DOTN suffers in comparison with the Ustinov version for being totally humourless.
    Oh dear. His Orient Express was similarly extremely dull.

The US and partners massively stepping up Ukraine warnings today is part of a strategy to deny Putin any space for a false flag op and claim that Ukraine is aggressor, I am told

As I said earlier, these warnings were part of the chess game to put pressure on Putin.
    That remains my view.

But I do worry about the ramping up. The Daily Mail has gone into one of its regular nutty modes this morning.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

The Branagh DOTN suffers in comparison with the Ustinov version for being totally humourless.
    I've always felt his talent for self-promotion to be rather greater than his skills in acting and writing.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

I've always felt his talent for self-promotion to be rather greater than his skills in acting and writing.
    Notable that his best Shakespeare production, which in my view was Twelfth Night (c.1988), was one in which he didn't appear.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    Freedland: This is what Rees-Mogg should be reading in his mailbag. That Brexit has inflicted great losses on this country; that the supposed offsets for those losses don’t offset them at all; and that there are next to no “opportunities” worthy of the name. Brexit is a rank failure. I understand why our politics cannot yet say as much, that a decent interval has to pass between 2016 and that moment. But that moment will come eventually – and when it does, it threatens to arrive with a mighty fury.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Notable that his best Shakespeare production, which in my view was Twelfth Night (c.1988), was one in which he didn't appear.
    Good morning. Brighter here.
    Not, I perhaps should confess, a fan of Agatha Christie, or of films about her books. So I've not seen DOTN.

However, we did go to see Belfast earlier this week and while it was unquestionably evocative of childhood, and a childhood in 'Troubled" Belfast must have had some dreadful moments, we came away with quite a few questions.
    The relationship between the parents for one; alternated between strong sexual attraction and abuse over financial mismanagement.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    IanB2 said:

Freedland: This is what Rees-Mogg should be reading in his mailbag. That Brexit has inflicted great losses on this country; that the supposed offsets for those losses don’t offset them at all; and that there are next to no “opportunities” worthy of the name. Brexit is a rank failure. I understand why our politics cannot yet say as much, that a decent interval has to pass between 2016 and that moment. But that moment will come eventually – and when it does, it threatens to arrive with a mighty fury.

Ridiculous nonsense.

As if Jacob Rees-Mogg can read.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    edited February 2022
    It’s War !

I thought only we, the good guys, did regime change.

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1492203844155150339?s=21

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

There was a nineteenth century production of Hamlet where the lead actor was taken ill an hour before the curtain went up. As there was no understudy, the management asked the audience to 'suffer a production which omitted him in its entirety.'

Apparently it was very well received, with some suggestions that leaving the dithering Dane out improved it considerably.
  • Where’s Clownland?

1. Europe
    2. Europe
    3. Disloyal colony
    4. Europe
    5. Europe
    6. Europe
    7. Evil Empire 1
    8. Europe
    9. Evil Empire 2
    10. Japan

Not actually true and malicious of the police

“Equivalent to being interviewed under caution” means “not being interviewed under caution”.

But the media runs with a different story which is not actually true.
    For Johnson- who made a media career largely out of stories that were not strictly true- to be laid low by a story that is not strictly true- would be an elegant end to this fable.

“Equivalent to being interviewed under caution” means “not being interviewed under caution”.

Yes, a bit like women being tried for witchcraft by holding them under water.

“Equivalent to being drowned” means “not being drowned”. You’re a jurisprudence genius.

The police are a bunch of cowards. Drag the useless oaf in and give him the full works. I recommend “Bad cop; bad cop”.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022
    Morning all, let's hope the world hasn't turned to cinders this time next week, so we can all discuss HYUFD 's threshold for finally withdrawing support for Boris, rather than dusting off "Protect and Survive" manuals.

More realistically, any military movement against centres of population in Ukraine would be a catastrophe.

Interviewed under police caution.

“Equivalent to being drowned” means “not being drowned”. You’re a jurisprudence genius.

The police are a bunch of cowards. Drag the useless oaf in and give him the full works. I recommend “Bad cop; bad cop”.
    Comparing the 'stories' could be 'interesting'. Word for word all the same or wildly different.
    I would expect the former, TBH.
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

There was a nineteenth century production of Hamlet where the lead actor was taken ill an hour before the curtain went up. As there was no understudy, the management asked the audience to 'suffer a production which omitted him in its entirety.'

Apparently it was very well received, with some suggestions that leaving the dithering Dane out improved it considerably.
    Interesting! I notice James McAvoy said he wasn't interested in playing Hamlet citing similar reasons.

'Play Hamlet? Nah he's always seemed a bit of a moaner to me.'

https://movieactors.bbc-edition.com/movie-actors/james-mcavoy-play-hamlet-nah-hes-always-seemed-a-bit-of-a-moaner-to-me/

Most amusing. I'm all for slaying sacred cows. Some Shakespeare is tedious.

But, then, after her Maj dies I'd abolish the ridiculous monarchy.
  • Morning all, let's hope the world hasn't turned to cinders this time next week, so we can all discuss HYUFD 's threshold for finally withdrawing support for Boris, rather than dusting off 1950's "Protect and Survive" manuals.

Somewhat more realistically, any military movement against centres of population in Ukraine would be a catastrophe.

Funny how the No1 target in the United Kingdom is just outside Glasgow. Very odd that they didn’t locate the 200 nuclear warheads in southern England. I wonder why?
  • Where’s Clownland?

1. Europe
    2. Europe
    3. Disloyal colony
    4. Europe
    5. Europe
    6. Europe
    7. Evil Empire 1
    8. Europe
    9. Evil Empire 2
    10. Japan

Scotland not doing very well, then?

Morning all, let's hope the world hasn't turned to cinders this time next week, so we can all discuss HYUFD 's threshold for finally withdrawing support for Boris, rather than dusting off 1950's "Protect and Survive" manuals.

Somewhat more realistically, any military movement against centres of population in Ukraine would be a catastrophe.

Funny how the No1 target in the United Kingdom is just outside Glasgow. Very odd that they didn’t locate the 200 nuclear warheads in southern England. I wonder why?
    Closer to deeper water?
  • Mr. Dickson, lack of lochs?

Comparing the 'stories' could be 'interesting'. Word for word all the same or wildly different.
    I would expect the former, TBH.
    That is exactly what crossed my mind. Those forms are going to be littered with glaring inconsistencies.

If they’re not, then the witnesses are coordinating their responses, which I assume in itself breaks the law? @DavidL or any other lawyers about?
  • The whole of Europe is relaxing/abolishing Covid restrictions… except N Ireland. Cos they haven’t got a government to sign the paperwork. Banana republic territory.
  • Mr. Dickson, lack of lochs?

Lack of toffs.
  • Branagh is one of the most talented actors of our times, but he can't do Poirot and he insists on doing Poirot.
  • Morning all, let's hope the world hasn't turned to cinders this time next week, so we can all discuss HYUFD 's threshold for finally withdrawing support for Boris, rather than dusting off 1950's "Protect and Survive" manuals.

Closer to deeper water?
    Nope. Same reason Dounreay was plonked there: Jock lives don’t matter.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022

Morning all, let's hope the world hasn't turned to cinders this time next week, so we can all discuss HYUFD 's threshold for finally withdrawing support for Boris, rather than dusting off 1950's "Protect and Survive" manuals.

Here on a sunny London morning like today's wouldn't exactly be the safest place to be, either, to be fair.
  • Where’s Clownland?

1. Europe
    2. Europe
    3. Disloyal colony
    4. Europe
    5. Europe
    6. Europe
    7. Evil Empire 1
    8. Europe
    9. Evil Empire 2
    10. Japan

Scotland not doing very well, then?
    Oh, they’re “Scotland” all of a sudden? I wonder why?
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting! I notice James McAvoy said he wasn't interested in playing Hamlet citing similar reasons.

https://movieactors.bbc-edition.com/movie-actors/james-mcavoy-play-hamlet-nah-hes-always-seemed-a-bit-of-a-moaner-to-me/

When I was doing a-level English Lit, I was set a (non-examined) essay along the lines of 'explain why Hamlet delays in killing his uncle.'

My answer was very simple. It amounted to - not quite in these words - 'because otherwise Shakespeare wouldn't have had much of a play to write.'

Mr O'Neill memorably began the next lesson with the words 'We need to talk...'

Here on a sunny London morning like today's wouldn't exactly be the safest spot to be, either, to be fair.
    Russia to bomb their own prime real estate? I think not.
  • "former prosecutor Yoon Seok-youl, has been forced to deny being unduly influenced by his favourite shaman (really)."

Koreas are good.
    It's a great shame Pip isn't our man on the spot trying to figure it all out.

In Korea being insincere.

Here on a sunny London morning like today's wouldn't exactly be the safest spot to be, either, to be fair.
    So flogging all of our houses to them was actually a smart move strategically?
  • Branagh is one of the most talented actors of our times, but he can't do Poirot and he insists on doing Poirot.

I used to love Agatha’s Poirot books (but can’t stand the Miss Marple ones). I consider ever single one of the tv and film adaptations to be dire. They’ve ruined the books for me.
  • ydoethur said:

A work of genius. Evil genius.
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

When I was doing a-level English Lit, I was set a (non-examined) essay along the lines of 'explain why Hamlet delays in killing his uncle.'

My answer was very simple. It amounted to - not quite in these words - 'because otherwise Shakespeare wouldn't have had much of a play to write.'

Mr O'Neill memorably began the next lesson with the words 'We need to talk...'
    Brilliant!!!

:smiley:

For Johnson- who made a media career largely out of stories that were not strictly true- to be laid low by a story that is not strictly true- would be an elegant end to this fable.
    You’re being too kind. He’s made a career through lying through his teeth, and been sacked for his mendacity.

There are numerous damning statements in the public sphere from former employers and schoolmasters. The man is a disgrace. He couldn’t obtain a position manning the till at Asda if the HR department saw his references. But the Tory Party thought he was just what they needed.
    All true, and a good reason for the Conservative Party to go to its room and think very hard about what it's done over the last few years and come back when it's ready to be more truthful and make better choices.

As for Johnson, one should try hard not to speak ill of the dead. And he is (politically) dead. Politicians don't come back from blowing trust like this. Even if the Met end up not charging or FPNing him. Even if the Conservatives (shorn of those prepared to stand up to Boris) keep him.

What we're seeing now is the instinctive flapping of a decapitated chicken. Unfortunately for all of us, this phase could last a couple of years
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

So would I. I have nothing but respect and admiration for her majesty but little time for the rest of them.

I used to love Agatha’s Poirot books (but can’t stand the Miss Marple ones). I consider ever single one of the tv and film adaptations to be dire. They’ve ruined the books for me.
    I think Joan Hickman was ok but David Suchet *is* Poirot and there's no point anyone else trying.

Just as in real life no one person can be brilliant at every job neither can one talented actor play every conceivable character.

Branagh is one of the most talented actors of our times, but he can't do Poirot and he insists on doing Poirot.

And he can sort-of do humour e.g. Professor Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter which he did passably well. Still not a patch on the brilliant Emma Thompson as Sybill Trelawney though.

You’re being too kind. He’s made a career through lying through his teeth, and been sacked for his mendacity.

There are numerous damning statements in the public sphere from former employers and schoolmasters. The man is a disgrace. He couldn’t obtain a position manning the till at Asda if the HR department saw his references. But the Tory Party thought he was just what they needed.
    All true, and a good reason for the Conservative Party to go to its room and think very hard about what it's done over the last few years and come back when it's ready to be more truthful and make better choices.

As for Johnson, one should try hard not to speak ill of the dead. And he is (politically) dead. Politicians don't come back from blowing trust like this. Even if the Met end up not charging or FPNing him. Even if the Conservatives (shorn of those prepared to stand up to Boris) keep him.

What we're seeing now is the instinctive flapping of a decapitated chicken. Unfortunately for all of us, this phase could last a couple of years
    I can’t see the Tory party pandering to it that long. He’s toast and for all the frothing you get from some here and online about MPs being spineless etc etc I believe they are just biding their time for the optimum moment. When they tried to take May out she won the vote. They won’t make the mistake with Johnson.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    The thing I would like to understand about this Ukraine situation is what changed. How did Putin come to the conclusion that war was possible and in his interests. Spool back 20 years and it would have been unthinkable.

Somewhere along the line we screwed up.
    To be honest, I can't really take much of King Lear either. You have to be verging on suicide to be able to watch it and if you're not then by the end you will be. I mean if Hamlet moans, bloody hell King Lear's madness is a drag.

Still nothing compared to the absurdities of opera. The one which really gets me, and I've seen it many times, is La Traviata. Violetta takes so long to peg out you feel like shouting for her to bloody get on with it. All the while she manages to warble her way through aria after aria from her death bed.

I apologise to opera lovers everywhere.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Jonathan said:

The thing I would like to understand about this Ukraine situation is what changed. How did Putin come to the conclusion that war was possible and in his interests. Spool back 20 years and it would have been unthinkable.

We abandoned truth, honour and decency in our politicians

Branagh is one of the most talented actors of our times, but he can't do Poirot and he insists on doing Poirot.

I think Joan Hickman was ok but David Suchet *is* Poirot and there's no point anyone else trying.

Just as in real life no one person can be brilliant at every job neither can one talented actor play every conceivable character.
    Yes, the Suchet interpretation of Poirot is just exceptional. I watched the Clapham Cook one recently, which was in the first bloc, and it is clear he gets the role from the very start. It does help that the regulars alongside him are also very good in their roles as well.

Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. She’s the best one I’ve seen. Less comic than others. But, for TV, she is really helped by excellent acting and production values.
  • Mr. xP, not a recent development.

Blair's 45 minutes. Labour and the Lib Dems having a manifesto promise for a referendum, then reneging.

Nah, they let Blair be interviewed in his office and they should extend the Sabe courtesy to Johnson.

I suspect they have decided that any breaches that may have occurred would only attract FPN at worst so why not try to reduce the number of individuals to scrutinise
    Heathener said:

To be honest, I can't really take much of King Lear either. You have to be verging on suicide to be able to watch it and if you're not then by the end you will be. I mean if Hamlet moans, bloody hell King Lear's madness is a drag.

Still nothing compared to the absurdities of opera. The one which really gets me, and I've seen it many times, is La Traviata. Violetta takes so long to peg out you feel like shouting for her to bloody get on with it. All the while she manages to warble her way through aria after aria from her death bed.

Richard Armour, an American scholar and satirist, analysing Shakespeare's tragedies, had this to say of Macbeth.

'Macbeth is the last of Shakespeare's tragedies, and contains a number of flaws. It is the shortest of his tragic plays (some don't consider this a flaw.)'
    Scott_xP said:

Jonathan said:

We abandoned truth, honour and decency in our politicians
    We abandoned that a long time ago. Where we are is the arising, the end of the journey, not the beginning.

Society gets the Police force and the Politicians it deserves.
  • Horrifically poor voter retention for the Liberal Democrats. Lots of LDs planning on voting Labour, but no reciprocation.

2019 UK GE voters - how they’ll vote next time:

Con:
    Con 84%
    Lab 5%
    LD 3%
    Grn 1%

Lab:
    Lab 91%
    Grn 9%
    Con 0
    LD 0

LD:
    LD 58%
    Lab 36%
    Grn 3%
    Con 0

Grn:
    Grn 87%
    Lab 4%
    LD 3%
    Con 1%

(Techne; 8-9 February; 1,631)

Geology? Access to the North Atlantic? Employment opportunities for the locals?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    Andy_JS said:

"Reuters
    @Reuters

Which presumably means they have Liz Truss’s DNA.
    Taz said:

It’s War !

I thought only we, the good guys, did regime change.

https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1492203844155150339?s=21

A financially ruinous, protracted and bloody Ukraine war could indeed lead to regime change in Moscow. Suddenly those exposes of the Sochi villas and superyachts might get some salience.
    Partygate questionnaire recipients: If you ring round to co-ordinate your answers with fellow incredibly hard-working staff be careful you're not doing something which has a tendency to pervert the course of justice.
    https://twitter.com/Barristerblog/status/1492410437274640384

Nah, they let Blair be interviewed in his office and they should extend the Sabe courtesy to Johnson.

I suspect they have decided that any breaches that may have occurred would only attract FPN at worst so why not try to reduce the number of individuals to scrutinise
    I’d also think the cost of the investigation would be a factor too. Especially over breaches that happened over a year ago. It is unlikely they would even bother if it was you or I. But this is mired in politics.
    One thing on the Met's letter to Boris. The issue isn't just whether he personally broke the rules. It's also whether he attended events that broke the rules, and whether his repeated statements to the Commons he was unaware of parties and rule breaking was truthful.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1492413740033187840

ydoethur said:

A work of genius. Evil genius.
    Flog them. Bank the cash. Confiscate them. Flog them… rinse and repeat…
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

So, yet again, it’s OUR fault. Can’t it just be that we have a new breed of aggressive autocrats? Was Hitler OUR fault? Genghis Khan? The Roman Empire? The heat death of the Previous Universe?

At some point lefties will stop blaming whitey, the west, us, Britain, America, Israel, Western Europe, middle aged white men in particular, but I don’t expect this epiphany to happen anytime before the Chinese regime’s “Legal Enslavement of Whitey Act 2043”
    Give it a rest Leon. “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” There will always be Barbarians at the gate. The trick is to have a gate and lock it.
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

At some point lefties will stop bla
    Here we go again ...

I'm off. You once told me Leon to stick around, presumably because you thought you post interesting things but I find your incessant Brexit anti-leftie anti-woke diatribes exceptionally tedious. For an accomplished writer you aren't half stuck in a rut. I hope your new writing will be about something a lot more interesting. If you mention Brexit in it I'm going to ask your publisher to pulp.

Have a nice day.
    Jonathan said:

He pushed his luck on multiple occasions and no one stood up to him

Georgia?
    South Ossetia?
    Syria?
    Crimea?
    Donetsk?

Why would he stop?
  • Taz said:

I can’t see the Tory party pandering to it that long. He’s toast and for all the frothing you get from some here and online about MPs being spineless etc etc I believe they are just biding their time for the optimum moment. When they tried to take May out she won the vote. They won’t make the mistake with Johnson.
    Why so confident?
  • agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 109
    If Boris Johnson's supporters really believed he would win the vote of no confidence, then they would put in enough letters to trigger it - and make him safe.
    Leon said:

Can’t it just be that we have a new breed of aggressive autocrats? Was Hitler OUR fault?

The question is why didn't we learn anything from the previous breed?
  • Heathener said:

The other amusing thing about Traviata is very few of the Violettas I've seen looked like they were impoverished and in danger of starving to death.....anytime soon, if ever...

But its fun - bit like eating a whole box of chocolates....
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

So, yet again, it’s OUR fault. Can’t it just be that we have a new breed of aggressive autocrats? Was Hitler OUR fault? Genghis Khan? The Roman Empire? The heat death of the Previous Universe?

At some point lefties will stop blaming whitey, the west, us, Britain, America, Israel, Western Europe, middle aged white men in particular, but I don’t expect this epiphany to happen anytime before the Chinese regime’s “Legal Enslavement of Whitey Act 2043”
    Long brunch?
  • TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Reuters
    @Reuters

Which presumably means they have Liz Truss’s DNA.
    She wasn't meeting Putin....

• darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Jonathan said:

I don't think it is "us" that have screwed up, it is a combination of many factors. But I would say the main reason could be summarised as western naivety, and it is still much in evidence now.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Give it a rest Leon. “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” There will always be Barbarians at the gate. The trick is to have a gate and lock it.
    But it was your FIRST reaction. It’s OUR fault

“Somewhere along the line we screwed up”

We? We??? Who the fuck is “we”???

Me? You? Mike Smithson on an off day?

It’s absurd. This is now a crippling intellectual reflex. You guys thrive on self hatred and guilt, esp if that guilt can be slightly shifted to “someone more right wing than me”. Grow up
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    The latest Alastair Meeks, on AI. I don't agree with this one (I care about beings that can experience joy and suffering, I don't care about the feelings of artificial constructs), but it's interesting, as always!

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/artificial-intelligence-our-coming-sideways-move-70394dad9f0c
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

At some point lefties will stop bla
    Here we go again ...

I'm off. You once told me Leon to stick around, presumably because you thought you post interesting things but I find your incessant Brexit anti-leftie anti-woke diatribes exceptionally tedious. For an accomplished writer you aren't half stuck in a rut. I hope your new writing will be about something a lot more interesting. If you mention Brexit in it I'm going to ask your publisher to pulp.

Have a nice day.

OMG YOU’RE GOING????
  • We all have embarrassing relatives.....

NICOLA Sturgeon’s sister has launched a bizarre career as a psychic medium.

Gillian Sturgeon is flogging tarot readings to her online fans for £12 a go.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8420080/nicola-sturgeon-sister-online-psychic-medium-readings/

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BindmansLLP/status/1492185604175671301

Thorough exposition of where legally we are now

Not good for Pig Dog
This discussion has been closed.