Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Scrutiny not slurs – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,721
edited February 2022 in General
imageScrutiny not slurs – politicalbetting.com

On Monday in Parliament the PM made an accusation against the Opposition leader, an accusation described as a “smear” by Julian Smith, ex-Northern Ireland Secretary, the Minister with the enviable record of being sacked for being good at his job. On Tuesday on the Today programme the Deputy PM and Justice Secretary, ironically (or so I hope) described by the interviewer as a “distinguished lawyer“, said that, while he did not have the evidence “to substantiate” the claim (neatly throwing the hospital pass back to his leader) it was right to scrutinise Sir Keir Starmer’s record as DPP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,542
    Cyclefree - Thank you for this thoughtful post, Sadly, I think there are some similarities between the UK and the US in the way these crimes are ignored. I am hardly a follower of celebrity gossip, but I knew about Jeffrey Epstein long before he was charged. (And I think it nearly certain that Bill Clinton and Donald Trump knew far more than I.)

In the US, "guild loyalty" is one of the reasons that police officers sometimes escape punishment for their misdeeds. Is the same true in the UK? Is there any clear solution, or set of solutions to the problem?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    Third rate, like our PM
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Great piece.

The cuts were callous and deliberate. It’s not just about saving money, it’s about tilting justice in favour of the wealthy.

Welcome to Tory Britain.
  • Options
    Labour spinning the Ministry of Justice out of the Home Office might have ended the chances of proper reforms to the criminal justice system.

To Cyclefree's powerful header, we might add that there is insufficient attention paid to research into what actually works, at all stages from deterrence through detection, prosecution, punishment and rehabilitation. See, for instance, recent reports on the success of some forces in tackling burglary where others stop at issuing a crime number for insurance claims.
    https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2022-01-14/bedfordshire-burglaries-halve-thanks-to-new-police-task-force

Instead, we have calls for longer sentences and the creation of yet more hate crimes as aggravating factors in what are already major crimes, such as murder.

Justice delayed is justice denied. More seriously, it undermines any deterrent effect if the penalty for crime is two years out on bail because, as Cyclefree notes, the court system has been cut to ribbons.
  • Options
    Allison Pearson in the DT:

If only – if only – history had been inverted. Boris Johnson could have been Prime Minister for Brexit and Theresa May Prime Minister for Covid and this whole excruciating fiasco might have been averted.

I was a long-time champion of the PM, with the scars on my back to prove it, but I felt sickened. Not just by Boris, whose contrition had all the sincerity of Toad’s “sorrowful eye”, but by the whole damn lot of them.

Not even his most ardent fan would claim that Boris Johnson has a monogamous relationship with the truth, but such flagrant infidelity is starting to become insulting. How stupid does he think the public is? The PM’s claims are so farcical you pity the colleagues who must try to defend them.

It fell to a former prime minister to skewer the current one. The public, she said with icy scorn and a Medusa glare to match, “had a right to expect their prime minister to… set an example...”

Despairing during the debate on the Sue Gray report, I found myself fantasising about an imaginary leader who doesn’t exist but who somehow combines Theresa’s serious attention to detail with Boris’s flair and fun. Where are they? We may need them sooner than we know.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,057
    edited February 2022
    @Dura_Ace was asking yesterday which Tory MO would be first to embrace Q.
    We have a clear candidate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/01/boris-johnson-keir-starmer-jimmy-savile-smear-julian-smith
    ...“I don’t have the facts to verify this … I don’t have the facts to justify that. I can’t substantiate that claim,” Raab told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

The culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, told Channel 4 News: “I have no idea of the background of Keir Starmer … The prime minister tells the truth.”
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,680
    edited February 2022
    Johnson and Patel reported to watchdog for claiming crime has fallen
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c6c55404-836d-11ec-b939-57ea9f594ba1 (£££)

Boris, in the Sue Gray "update" debate (to which it was irrelevant), claimed crime had fallen by 14 per cent since he became Prime Minister, which is only true if fraud is excluded. Added back in, crime rose by 14 per cent.
  • Options
    Latest from Cummo:

“People also underestimate the extent to which he lies to literally everybody literally all day – including to Carrie and about Carrie.”

“‘Lies’ isn’t even a useful word with him – he lives inside a fog of invention and ‘believes’ whatever he has to in the moment. E.g He both knows he’s lying about the parties AND thinks he did nothing wrong. This doesn’t make ‘sense’ unless you’ve watched him carefully or similar sociopaths.”
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,886
    edited February 2022
    A powerful piece.

Covid, too, shows that the machinery of government is just not premier league anymore.

The UK needs to act NOW before it gets to the flirting-with-failed-state status of the US.
  • Options
    Police are solving the lowest proportion of crimes on record as sex offences hit a new high, official figures show.

Just six per cent of all crimes resulted in a charge in the year to September 2021, equivalent to only one in 17 offences being solved, according to Home Office figures published on Thursday.

That represents a fall from 7.3 per cent in the previous year and is just half the charging rate of 15.5 per cent six years ago, when records began.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/27/police-solving-lowest-proportion-crimes-amid-record-numbers/ (£££)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,886
    edited February 2022
    This government is basically a crook’s charter. Practically a free hit if you want to go out and defraud someone. Or worse.

(Boris not especially to blame, although there’s no evidence he gives a fuck. This is the impact of austerity).
  • Options
    Daily Mail:

The ridicule of Boris Johnson over the Partygate scandal has extended across the East and West, with U.S. President Joe Biden's spokeswoman laughing at the Prime Minister being 'ambushed by cake' at a birthday party in No10. White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday said Biden has 'never been ambushed by a cake' as she responded to a question on the lockdown-breaching parties at Downing Street.

TV channels in Russia have also been revelling in Mr Johnson's discomfort, with one branding him 'the most disliked, disrespected and ridiculed character in Britain' who was 'completely under the control and heel of his young wife' Carrie.
  • Options
    Lord Agnew, of course, resigned last week over the government's apparent lack of interest in tackling Covid fraud.
  • Options

This government is basically a crook’s charter. Practically a free hit if you want to go out and defraud someone. Or worse.

(Boris not especially to blame, although there’s no evidence he gives a fuck. This is the impact of austerity).

8000 prosecutions out of 4.6m reported offences - 0.17%.
    2% of police resources allocated.
    https://victimscommissioner.org.uk/news/who-suffers-fraud/

The government basically ignores fraud as a crime, with the possible exception of benefit fraud, where 2000 cases were referred for prosecution.
    The investigation of tax fraud also gets some resources devoted to it.

But unless it’s directly costing the government money, fraud is largely ignored by the criminal justice system.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The government basically ignores fraud as a crime, with the possible exception of benefit fraud, where 2000 cases were referred for prosecution.

But unless it’s directly costing the government money, fraud is largely ignored by the criminal justice system.
    Our posts crossed. Lord Agnew might say that *even when* fraud is directly costing the government money, it is largely ignored.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Our posts crossed. Lord Agnew might say that *even when* fraud is directly costing the government money, it is largely ignored.
    Agnew’s complaint was as much about the complete lack of effort in fraud prevention - which would have been a far more effective intervention than investigation after the fact.
    Though of course that’s also true of fraud generally.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Agnew’s complaint was as much about the complete lack of effort in fraud prevention - which would have been a far more effective intervention than investigation after the fact.
    Though of course that’s also true of fraud generally.
    tbf a lot of fraud moved online which might not have helped.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Quite extraordinary that the likes of David Davis haven’t put their letters in. How many more weeks of watching Johnson debase their brand do they want to see?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    Good Morning everyone. As someone else said, a powerful piece by Ms Cyclefree.
    I really do not recall a time when flagrant dishonesty was so common in public life.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Quite extraordinary that the likes of David Davis haven’t put their letters in. How many more weeks of watching Johnson debase their brand do they want to see?

I just heard David Davis's j'accuse moment as opposed to reading an account of it; the dampest of rhetorical squibs, like Phil Mitchell doing Shakespeare. Typical DD that he needed to retread what is basically a political cliché for his big moment.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    ‘It is about time he and the Home Secretary applied themselves to their jobs with the seriousness these require.’

Alternatively, it’s time we had a Home Secretary and Justice Secretary who had the serious approach their jobs require.
  • Options
    BBC on levelling up:

‘Many ambitions will not be achieved until 2030.’

Two words too many…
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    The cuts to the justice system, particularly from 2010-2015, are a fascinating phenomenon. This was a civilisation willfully smashing up one of the pillars on which it is built, for savings that can only be described as insignificant and meaningless.

An analysis of this history quickly debunks the notion that the coalition years were an oasis of stability in recent political history.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Day 87. The search for a collective Conservative spine continues.
  • Options
    darkage said:

The cuts to the justice system, particularly from 2010-2015, are a fascinating phenomenon. This was a civilisation willfully smashing up one of the pillars on which it is built, for savings that can only be described as insignificant and meaningless.

An analysis of this history quickly debunks the notion that the coalition years were an oasis of stability in recent political history.

Justice, as department of state, was led throughout the Coation years by Conservatives; Kenneth Clarke and Chris Grayling. Of the second, 'nuff said!
  • Options

I really do not recall a time when flagrant dishonesty was so common in public life.

I keep being told that politicians always lie, why am I making such a fuss. Nice to hear you say differently
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I keep being told that politicians always lie, why am I making such a fuss. Nice to hear you say differently
    Politicians have always, and totally understandably, sought to put the best gloss possible on their own actions and the opposite on their opponents, but I really do not recall a time comparable to this.
    Eden at Suez, or Blair over Iraq, are, I admit comparable, but they were shocking because they were outliers, not normal practice.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1488544216154320899?s=21

FT
    “Tory plotters know they have no obvious rival to Boris Johnson

The sheer range and diversity of the prime minister’s opponents is, for now, his greatest protection”

Unpaywalled if read via Twitter
  • Options
    Mr. Moonshine, not sure I buy that.

If they're in the electoral equivalent of a burning building, and face the certainty of burning to death or leaping from a dark window and facing a wide range and diversity of potential outcomes, what's the smart move?

Guaranteed agonising death, or the possibility of survival?

It's their own damned fault for backing the clown in the first place. Failing to remove him is another critical failure.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

It's a fact of life that people lie.
    How the governing system deal with that is a choice. As Monday's events - and the actions of the Speaker - showed, we now have a system which rules those lies in order, and suspends from the Commons MPs who call out those lies.
    Although Blackford, as usual, bungled it. He should have asked if Johnson could reconcile his statement that there were no parties in his flat with Gray's finding that there was one, and asked the Speaker, separately, what the penalty is for misleading the House.

Then he'd not only have got away with it but effectively forced the Speaker to be the one calling out Johnson for lying.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

How the governing system deal with that is a choice. As Monday's events - and the actions of the Speaker - showed, we now have a system which rules those lies in order, and suspends from the Commons MPs who call out those lies.
    Although Blackford, as usual, bungled it. He should have asked if Johnson could reconcile his statement that there were no parties in his flat with Gray's finding that there was one, and asked the Speaker, separately, what the penalty is for misleading the House.

Then he'd not only have got away with it but effectively forced the Speaker to be the one calling out Johnson for lying.
    Of course.
    Blackford is as subtle as a brick, but on this occasion he was stating what everyone knows to be true.

And in the circumstances, the Speaker's why can't we all just get along schtick about Johnson's comments, on which he won't take action - “I am far from satisfied that the comments in question were appropriate on this occasion,” he said. “I want to see more compassionate, reasonable politics in this house and these sort of comments can only inflame opinions.” - is ridiculous.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Johnsons reply would have been.

"He is wrong and really needs to wait for the inquiry. Oh and Brexit and Vaccines and Levelling Up. Errr and you and Starmer smell."
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    I've thought on balance that Johnson was going to get away with it but I'm less and less sure.

There's just so much sewerage around and whatever he does turns to sh*t. When papers like the Mail, Telegraph and even the Express start turning on him you can be sure it's a reflection of the mood in the country.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Politicians have always, and totally understandably, sought to put the best gloss possible on their own actions and the opposite on their opponents, but I really do not recall a time comparable to this.
    Eden at Suez, or Blair over Iraq, are, I admit comparable, but they were shocking because they were outliers, not normal practice.
    Agreed.

We're in a situation where we have a man in charge who seems to lie with every passing breath. There's not a day goes by without some lie or other being exposed. This is omnilying.
  • Options
    Ms. Heathener, not sure I agree. The momentum has faded, and inertia is a powerful thing, particularly when the PCP seems utterly craven.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078
    Heathener said:

I've thought on balance that Johnson was going to get away with it but I'm less and less sure.

There's just so much sewerage around and whatever he does turns to sh*t. When papers like the Mail, Telegraph and even the Express start turning on him you can be sure it's a reflection of the mood in the country.

But and this is very important to emphasis Tory MPs have no backbone and no obvious replacement - everyone else only addresses half of their electorate so only really appeals to half their members.

Even in the last election some Southern seats were trending Labour / Lib Dem and are now probably in the marginal seat / lost category. And the Red Wall seats are going to return to Labour unless things are fixed and there isn't that much time left to fix things.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If only – if only – history had been inverted. Boris Johnson could have been Prime Minister for Brexit and Theresa May Prime Minister for Covid and this whole excruciating fiasco might have been averted.

I was a long-time champion of the PM, with the scars on my back to prove it, but I felt sickened. Not just by Boris, whose contrition had all the sincerity of Toad’s “sorrowful eye”, but by the whole damn lot of them.

Not even his most ardent fan would claim that Boris Johnson has a monogamous relationship with the truth, but such flagrant infidelity is starting to become insulting. How stupid does he think the public is? The PM’s claims are so farcical you pity the colleagues who must try to defend them.

It fell to a former prime minister to skewer the current one. The public, she said with icy scorn and a Medusa glare to match, “had a right to expect their prime minister to… set an example...”

Despairing during the debate on the Sue Gray report, I found myself fantasising about an imaginary leader who doesn’t exist but who somehow combines Theresa’s serious attention to detail with Boris’s flair and fun. Where are they? We may need them sooner than we know.

Not just him. Idiots like Dorries. "Distinguished lawyer's" like Raab. HY. They all think that people are utterly and totally stupid, can be fed any old lies and will lap it up.

Some of the comedy in the "Benefits of Brexit" document as an example. New trade deals signed with countries to replicate word for word the previous EU trade deal and thus cement into place the existing EU status quo. Allowing (after much pushing from the industry) foreign drivers to take cabotage work as they always could under the EU as the only way to cure the worst of the HGV driver shortages. Freeports which we had and others still have in the EU.

None of these are benefits. None of them are new. The people saying "these are new benefits" know the entire document is a lie, presented to people they think are stupid.

Have we ever before had a government holding its own voters in such disdain?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

The ridicule of Boris Johnson over the Partygate scandal has extended across the East and West, with U.S. President Joe Biden's spokeswoman laughing at the Prime Minister being 'ambushed by cake' at a birthday party in No10. White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday said Biden has 'never been ambushed by a cake' as she responded to a question on the lockdown-breaching parties at Downing Street.

TV channels in Russia have also been revelling in Mr Johnson's discomfort, with one branding him 'the most disliked, disrespected and ridiculed character in Britain' who was 'completely under the control and heel of his young wife' Carrie.

For a long while yesterday the Mail Online ran with the headline: 'INTERNATIONAL JOKE'

For the most part they are extremely critical of Johnson at the moment.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,896

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Johnsons reply would have been.

"He is wrong and really needs to wait for the inquiry. Oh and Brexit and Vaccines and Levelling Up. Errr and you and Starmer smell."
    You missed “fastest growing economy in the G7” and “freeports”.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

darkage said:

Justice, as department of state, was led throughout the Coation years by Conservatives; Kenneth Clarke and Chris Grayling. Of the second, 'nuff said!
    On the face of it Clarke had some good ideas, as did Gove during his brief stint in the job; but both were fighting a losing battle. It is Grayling who has the strongest and most profound legacy. For all the worst reasons.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Basically she was happy with the lies and dishonesty to benefit her world view, but thinks such behaviour is farcical now it clashes with her viewpoints.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

You’re celebrating the Russian misogyny?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Perhaps this is what Starmerama will do today. Or will Johnson hide behind being tired from his Ukraine jaunt and not turn up?

If I was him in question 1 I would ask Johnson to state categorically for the parliamentary record if he will release the Gray report in full and without delay. And if he prevaricates at all I would begin question 2 by giving notice of a parliamentary motion to compel him to. That’s a motion he would so easily win that Johnson would cave before the vote.

He can then follow up by forcing the issue of Johnson’s prior statements to the house, inviting him to correct the Parliamentary record, given he has accepted the Gray Update in full. And if he refuses to, turn it over to the Speaker. And if the Speaker refuses to (which he probably would the wet flannel), then give notice of a further parliamentary motion along the lines of “This House condemns the Prime Minister for misleading parliament”. Force the Tory rebels to put their cards on the table.

Personally I think it’s time for Starmer to go for the jugular. It will be a far more compelling narrative for him if he is the one that directly sets in motion Johnson’s exit than to let his future opponent claim the credit for being the new broom cleaning up the mess.
  • Options

Fraud? Also open corruption. Like the PPE contracts handed out without tender to friends? To companies who had zero experience in PPE and in some cases delivered near zero usable but were able to pocket the public money anyway? How about the company who then won a contract to charge £stupid to store the unusable PPE it had procured? Or the company awarded a contract without tender before it had even been incorporated?

When the government practice open corruption and ask no questions tenders with no penalty clauses for non-delivery, why should we expect them to run a proper legal system? Where is the benefit?
  • Options

If they're in the electoral equivalent of a burning building, and face the certainty of burning to death or leaping from a dark window and facing a wide range and diversity of potential outcomes, what's the smart move?

It's their own damned fault for backing the clown in the first place. Failing to remove him is another critical failure.

I wonder if that observation is right, but Conservative MPs are processing it differently.

Boris has led them to a world of pain, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. But he also possesses the Boris Myth, that he alone can work miracles. I've never met him (lucky me), but I can imagine him having the strange terrible charisma to make up for his many obvious flaws as a person and politician. He probably leads the Conservatives to a huge defeat in 2024, but maybe, just maybe...

Whereas anyone else, even if there was agreement on who, calmly leads the Conservatives to a calm, dignified, small but decisive defeat in 2024.

And in a way, that's how it should be. A political party shouldn't get away with letting itself be taken over by a clown. And not one of the jolly ones either.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

But it's true? Boris is completely and utterly controlled by Carrie.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Ms. Heathener, not sure I agree. The momentum has faded, and inertia is a powerful thing, particularly when the PCP seems utterly craven.

You may well be right.

I just have a sense that turning this around has already gone pear-shaped and the stench of the parties goes on and on and on. The Mail headline this morning (online) is eviscerating. How much more of this can he endure? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

The Telegraph are also having a go and that Allison Pearson article is quite a turn up. Interesting comment she makes about if the two PMs could have swapped timeframes.

I suspect the Conservatives are in for some opinion polls over the next week which will make even HYUFD pause for a second. If that doesn't wake up the 1922, nothing will.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited February 2022
    Day #78 in this depressing farce. It’s impossible to engage in politics when you can have no faith in a system that tolerates Boris. Obviously that’s a trap, because the more you disengage the more free he becomes. Quite a serious state of affairs.

What should really make people shudder is what Boris will be like if he wriggles off the hook. The king of the world will be validated and entitled to do whatever he wants. Dangerous. Trumpian.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,560

I agree that they should act - for the good of the country as well as their own interests - but uncertainty is an impediment to action.

Planning ahead is a very useful trait for humans, but if taken too far it can lead to paralysis, if a perfect plan is required before acting, and I think that is a factor in the current failure of Tory MPs to act. A major Cabinet resignation is required to galvanise action. Perhaps a few of them willing to act together.
  • Options

Fraud? Also open corruption. Like the PPE contracts handed out without tender to friends? To companies who had zero experience in PPE and in some cases delivered near zero usable but were able to pocket the public money anyway? How about the company who then won a contract to charge £stupid to store the unusable PPE it had procured? Or the company awarded a contract without tender before it had even been incorporated?

When the government practice open corruption and ask no questions tenders with no penalty clauses for non-delivery, why should we expect them to run a proper legal system? Where is the benefit?
    As the woman from the NAO said this morning, paying over the odds was to be expected in an emergency.
    But there was no good reason for the complete absence of controls, and the severely deficient record keeping.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192

The fraud is wrong - where it is genuine fraud.

However, you fail to remember where we were in April/May last year. We needed PPE. In this case - as in war - the government had to do whatever it could to get PPE. It did.

It is another case where there was no right answer. We could procure properly, and not get it in time, or procure quickly, and risk fraud and waste. Remember this, and some of the dodgy companies on the list?
    https://labour.org.uk/press/dozens-of-companies-offering-ppe-ignored-by-government-labour-reveals/

According to the article below, the government had 8,000 offers from suppliers of PPE. That is a massive number, when decisions needed making immediately, sometimes to the day, or the kit would not be got.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52369223

Here's a sad truth for you: Labour under Starmer would have done exactly the same thing, because not to do so would have been a grossly wrong.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,722
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

I’m not sure he’s ‘controlled’. I’ve met controlled men and their controlling wives. They are quite obvious.

It’s more that he can’t be arsed. He is happy to let Carrie do what she wants until the point when it bothers him, from decorating the fiat to organising their social life. It keeps Carrie happy which means less grief and tedium. But as Carrie seems unusually flighty and a bit clueless, this leads to trouble
  • Options
    edited February 2022

I wonder if that observation is right, but Conservative MPs are processing it differently.

Boris has led them to a world of pain, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. But he also possesses the Boris Myth, that he alone can work miracles. I've never met him (lucky me), but I can imagine him having the strange terrible charisma to make up for his many obvious flaws as a person and politician. He probably leads the Conservatives to a huge defeat in 2024, but maybe, just maybe...

Whereas anyone else, even if there was agreement on who, calmly leads the Conservatives to a calm, dignified, small but decisive defeat in 2024.

And in a way, that's how it should be. A political party shouldn't get away with letting itself be taken over by a clown. And not one of the jolly ones either.
    Some real nuggets in here and I think you've explained better something I've been hinting.

If the tories stay with Boris Johnson until 2024 then I think Labour will be in power for at least two terms, so through to 2034. Effectively we are talking about a once in a generation sea change: like 1979 and 1997. Remember that Margaret Thatcher only beat Jim Callaghan by 7% and her majority was 'just' 44 seats. It was sufficient to usher in the most momentous change in this country since Attlee.

If they ditch him and have someone sensible and competent then they might be able to avoid a sea change defeat and at the worst leave Labour in coalition territory. That gives them every chance of returning to power in 2029.

Stay with Johnson and we're looking at 1979 or 1997. A sea change.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

As the woman from the NAO said this morning, paying over the odds was to be expected in an emergency.
    But there was no good reason for the complete absence of controls, and the severely deficient record keeping.
    I haven't objected to paying over the odds for delivered PPE - in the market conditions of the time that was inevitable. Supply and demand dictates the price which would be more than in times of quieter demand.

My objection is to corruption. Companies who provide PPE and medical supplies can;t get anyone in the DoH to even pick up the phone. Because the machine is too busy allocating £107m contracts to companies who have never even seen PPE never mind have a track record.

Contracts awarded without tender to companies offering no track record means a MASSIVE risk of failure. Especially when the company has been newly founded (or not even that in that one example). It was a gamble, and even the basics of a contract - delivery clauses allowing clawback of money should the kit be unfit or unsuitable or never arrive - were completely missed out.

We should have been able to go back to these Tories and demand our money back. Instead its "whoops, but the naysayers are complaining at us pocketing their cash for political reasons" Posted by some on here on the last thread.
  • Options
    Anecdata, the most Leavey members of my quite Leavey family have now turned on Boris

‘It’s a shame, but he has to go’

That means literally no-one of my acquaintance now supports him, as far as I can tell. And I know - or knew - a LOT of Borisovian Brexiteers
  • Options
    Great piece @Cyclefree
  • Options

However, you fail to remember where we were in April/May last year. We needed PPE. In this case - as in war - the government had to do whatever it could to get PPE. It did.

It is another case where there was no right answer. We could procure properly, and not get it in time, or procure quickly, and risk fraud and waste. Remember this, and some of the dodgy companies on the list?
    https://labour.org.uk/press/dozens-of-companies-offering-ppe-ignored-by-government-labour-reveals/

According to the article below, the government had 8,000 offers from suppliers of PPE. That is a massive number, when decisions needed making immediately, sometimes to the day, or the kit would not be got.

Here's a sad truth for you: Labour under Starmer would have done exactly the same thing, because not to do so would have been a grossly wrong.
    Sorry but the whataboutery at the end is beneath your usual standards.

Lets pick at two aspects of this. You have existing suppliers with an existing track record of procuring medical supplies. And you have brand new companies set up by friends of ministers. Do you give the business to the companies you already know with a track record of success? Or risk it all backing friends?

Second, regardless of how you have contracted and to whom, why do you not have standard boiler-plate clauses? That the supplier is liable to deliver PPE fit for purpose or the money will be recovered?

The corruption isn't just awarding untendered high risk contracts to new companies set up by the right people whilst ignoring the existing industry suppliers. It is failing to include any means to recover public money when the high risk contract fails to deliver.

In reality we have seen the government hand over £107m to the right people no questions asked. And you claim Starmer would have done the same? Please.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BBC on levelling up:

Two words too many…

8 years is a very short time for these sort of changes
  • Options

ydoethur said:

BBC on levelling up:

Two words too many…

8 years is a very short time for these sort of changes
    I thought he meant half-past eight.
  • Options
    Must-read thread on how Denmark modelled Omicron right, when SAGE got it so wrong

https://twitter.com/freddiesayers/status/1488422580939894786?s=21

Britain’s boffins are no better than her politicians. They need to be held to account. All of them
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,564
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:
    Phil Collins (the Blair one not the proggy) said a few months ago something along the lines that it was almost amusing that the tories had finally discovered the country was unequal. I mean who knew, right?

He also pointed out that the Blair team spent an awful lot of time on inequality (child poverty, surestart, delivery units, troubled families schemes etc etc) and so on and they found the hard way how complex and unrelentingly difficult it is to make meaningful change.

Johnson will have raised expectations which will not be met other than a few shiny new baubles scattered around.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

Oh play him some violins.... oh wait, that would prove your point utterly wrong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

I’m not sure he’s ‘controlled’. I’ve met controlled men and their controlling wives. They are quite obvious.

It’s more that he can’t be arsed. He is happy to let Carrie do what she wants until the point when it bothers him, from decorating the fiat to organising their social life. It keeps Carrie happy which means less grief and tedium. But as Carrie seems unusually flighty and a bit clueless, this leads to trouble
    I don't think your assessment bears much scrutiny on any level: either in terms of Johnson, or Carrie or their relationship. Those who know the situation and observe it would think you are very wide of the mark.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Anecdata, the most Leavey members of my quite Leavey family have now turned on Boris

That means literally no-one of my acquaintance now supports him, as far as I can tell. And I know - or knew - a LOT of Borisovian Brexiteers

What’s odd is how the MPs are just ignoring what must be a continuing flood of emails and letters from constituents. I know of at least two people (Tories) who have never written to their Mp before but who have done so to try and remove Boris. I assume they are not unusual.

I think there’s this casual complacency that so long as there’s a new leader in place before the election, it doesn’t matter what damage Johnson does in the meantime.

No doubt stemming from his remarkable trick in 2019 to make it feel like he was an insurgent fighting as the change candidate, rather than as the incumbent PM of a party which had been in power for a decade. This will be very difficult for the party to pull off twice.
  • Options

Labour under Starmer wouldn't have done the same thing - they would have tasked people with hitting their systems and the internet to find suppliers rather than letting their mates become middle men.

That's the issue here but again it's hidden alongside other issues so people don't focus on the important one.

In fact this is an incredibly obvious playbook - we get given the complete picture (PPE, BBL fraud) and then when people pick up the real fixable problems that demonstrate a real screw up that they were responsible flaw they change the conversation to a different issue that was revealed at the same time.

PPE has - mates without experience allowed to purchase anything at vast expense, expensive proper PPE purchased when supply was less than demand and fraud.
    BBL has - clearly fraudulent loans (companies created after the scheme began), dodgy loans and failed firms.

In both cases there is a clear area that could be investigated but it can't be because other issues are used to hide and sidetrack from the outright fraud.
  • Options
    Rereading Cyclefree's excellent piece, the question that arises is why we would think this government would do anything else? The gutting of the legal profession works to its favour does it not?

Politically it should be the opposite. So much of their success as a government is due to the WWC voting for them for the first time. They are the people hardest hit by crime, and should be Up In Arms at the crime disaster. But are still - or have been - listening to the Pied Brexiteer's tune. Where the new benefits like the old trade arrangements being copy pasted are a higher value than their neighbourhood not being a crime-ridden hell.

When they realise what has been done to them these people will be furious. Won't do the Tories good will it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,212
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

Some real nuggets in here and I think you've explained better something I've been hinting.

If the tories stay with Boris Johnson until 2024 then I think Labour will be in power for at least two terms, so through to 2034. Effectively we are talking about a once in a generation sea change: like 1979 and 1997. Remember that Margaret Thatcher only beat Jim Callaghan by 7% and her majority was 'just' 44 seats. It was sufficient to usher in the most momentous change in this country since Attlee.

If they ditch him and have someone sensible and competent then they might be able to avoid a sea change defeat and at the worst leave Labour in coalition territory. That gives them every chance of returning to power in 2029.

No party having lost power at a general election has returned to power by winning the subsequent general election since February 1974. That was the first time it had happened since 1924 and Heath's Tories still won the popular vote. So unlikely.

Even then the key factor was strikes and sky high inflation rather than who the previous leader and PM was. Indeed Heath had won a solid majority of 30 in 1970
  • Options
    eek said:

Labour under Starmer wouldn't have done the same thing - they would have tasked people with hitting their systems and the internet to find suppliers rather than letting their mates become middle men.

That's the issue here but again it's hidden alongside other issues so people don't focus on the important one.

In fact this is an incredibly obvious playbook - we get given the complete picture (PPE, BBL fraud) and then when people pick up the real fixable problems that demonstrate a real screw up that they were responsible flaw they change the conversation to a different issue that was revealed at the same time.

PPE has - mates without experience allowed to purchase anything at vast expense, expensive proper PPE purchased when supply was less than demand and fraud.
    BBL has - clearly fraudulent loans (companies created after the scheme began), dodgy loans and failed firms.

In both cases there is a clear area that could be investigated but it can't be because other issues are used to hide and sidetrack from the outright fraud.
    What I find most baffling is how these contracts had no penalty clauses. Money has been paid out even when the PPE is either unfit or non-existent. We even had one company not only deliver unusable PPE and keep the money but then win an even more lucrative contract to store said unusable PPE.

How have contracts like this been issued? I can park the issue about friends donors and patrons being awarded contracts without tender at high risk. But how can contracts be issued which do not let the powers that be claw the money back when in some cases literally nothing is delivered? No business would operate in such a manner. Does the government usually do so?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

She certainly has a significant influence it appears. But the way it is phrased is specifically designed to demean him.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Perhaps this is what Starmerama will do today. Or will Johnson hide behind being tired from his Ukraine jaunt and not turn up?

If I was him in question 1 I would ask Johnson to state categorically for the parliamentary record if he will release the Gray report in full and without delay. And if he prevaricates at all I would begin question 2 by giving notice of a parliamentary motion to compel him to. That’s a motion he would so easily win that Johnson would cave before the vote.

He can then follow up by forcing the issue of Johnson’s prior statements to the house, inviting him to correct the Parliamentary record, given he has accepted the Gray Update in full. And if he refuses to, turn it over to the Speaker. And if the Speaker refuses to (which he probably would the wet flannel), then give notice of a further parliamentary motion along the lines of “This House condemns the Prime Minister for misleading parliament”. Force the Tory rebels to put their cards on the table.

Personally I think it’s time for Starmer to go for the jugular. It will be a far more compelling narrative for him if he is the one that directly sets in motion Johnson’s exit than to let his future opponent claim the credit for being the new broom cleaning up the mess.
    Agree.

I don't know if it's been discussed but currently it takes 54 Tory MPs and then a successful VONC by the same Tory MPs to remove him. Instead why can't there be a VONC in him in Parliament. It is single step and only requires just over 35 Tory MPs to vote against or even to be achieved with a few more MPs abstaining.

Or a VONC in the government. Typically that results in a GE, but it doesn't have to if the Tories can form a new government. That is not uncommon in Europe under PR and only doesn't happen here because a loss of confidence isn't normally recoverable, but with a 70+ majority is currently.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

What’s odd is how the MPs are just ignoring what must be a continuing flood of emails and letters from constituents. I know of at least two people (Tories) who have never written to their Mp before but who have done so to try and remove Boris. I assume they are not unusual.

I think there’s this casual complacency that so long as there’s a new leader in place before the election, it doesn’t matter what damage Johnson does in the meantime.

No doubt stemming from his remarkable trick in 2019 to make it feel like he was an insurgent fighting as the change candidate, rather than as the incumbent PM of a party which had been in power for a decade. This will be very difficult for the party to pull off twice.
    A lot of it is personal loyalty. Boris won their seats, he won the majority, he therefore sorted Brexit, and solved the nation’s paralysis - thus preventing the twin calamities of a Corbyn government and/or a 2nd referendum

These are all significant achievements.

But every day that loyalty is being eroded
  • Options

Lets pick at two aspects of this. You have existing suppliers with an existing track record of procuring medical supplies. And you have brand new companies set up by friends of ministers. Do you give the business to the companies you already know with a track record of success? Or risk it all backing friends?

Second, regardless of how you have contracted and to whom, why do you not have standard boiler-plate clauses? That the supplier is liable to deliver PPE fit for purpose or the money will be recovered?

The corruption isn't just awarding untendered high risk contracts to new companies set up by the right people whilst ignoring the existing industry suppliers. It is failing to include any means to recover public money when the high risk contract fails to deliver.

In reality we have seen the government hand over £107m to the right people no questions asked. And you claim Starmer would have done the same? Please.
    Whatboutery? Cool. So you think Labour would not have provided the PPE.

"You have existing suppliers with an existing track record of procuring medical supplies. "

Let's remember the scale of the problem. ISTR PPE demand in April 2020 was 20 times over normal. And on top of that, there was a non-NHS demand from companies and civilians.

The existing suppliers could not cope with this - which was why Reeves produced a list of companies not with an existing track record.

Labour would have thrown money at the problem, just as the government did. If they did not, they would not have had the PPE.

(I hate to say this, but some criticism should be thrown at France as well for their behaviour.)
  • Options

Rereading Cyclefree's excellent piece, the question that arises is why we would think this government would do anything else? The gutting of the legal profession works to its favour does it not?

Politically it should be the opposite. So much of their success as a government is due to the WWC voting for them for the first time. They are the people hardest hit by crime, and should be Up In Arms at the crime disaster. But are still - or have been - listening to the Pied Brexiteer's tune. Where the new benefits like the old trade arrangements being copy pasted are a higher value than their neighbourhood not being a crime-ridden hell.

When they realise what has been done to them these people will be furious. Won't do the Tories good will it?

The problem is that the Tories will use Covid to cover their issues but it's a simple attack (made up figures but probably reasonably accurate)

Waiting time for jury trial 2010 - 6-9 months
    2019 - 15-18 months
    2022 - 2+ years.

The problem you end up with is that to provide a comparison that Covid can't be blamed for you need to go back to before Boris was in power and he will say nowt to do with me and look at the tuppence extra we've given them since.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Not sure that I often agree with Dan Hodges but he was spot on, as were some others including Pesto, that the Met intervention has made things worse for Johnson and the tories. If the partygate report had all been out there in one go last week then it would have been possible to say sorry and draw a line under it so that he could focus on ... all the other scandals and corruption ;) .

As it is, alongside all the rest of the sh*tshow we have a continuous drip drip drip of lurid partying details which is likely to continue for months.

It's another cack-handed and misguided call by Johnson and his cronies.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    IanB2 said:

Saying to swap around Boris and Theresa is easy. However, I seem to recall Theresa May being lambasted for not showing enough sympathy with someone once. She could often be robotic. Would she have given over vaccine procurement to someone outside the DoHSC? I'm not sure she would. She certainly wouldn't have broken any of the lockdown rules but may have gone prancing through a wheat field with members of her bubble. I think she may well have done a worse job of seeing us through the pandemic but she wouldn't be in this trouble now over rule breaking.
  • Options

eek said:

What I find most baffling is how these contracts had no penalty clauses. Money has been paid out even when the PPE is either unfit or non-existent. We even had one company not only deliver unusable PPE and keep the money but then win an even more lucrative contract to store said unusable PPE.

How have contracts like this been issued? I can park the issue about friends donors and patrons being awarded contracts without tender at high risk. But how can contracts be issued which do not let the powers that be claw the money back when in some cases literally nothing is delivered? No business would operate in such a manner. Does the government usually do so?
    No but then again I suspect there is virtually zero paperwork to go with the original deal because everyone (especially the ministers responsible) was panicking and their "mates" used that knowledge to their advantage.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    A point of order.

Can those on here critical of Boris Johnson please desist in calling him by his preferred cuddly stage name "Boris". Under the circumstances "Boris Johnson" "Mr Johnson" or preferably simply "Johnson" would seem far more appropriate. He is not a lovable uncle, a music hall comedian or the old fool down the pub, he is supposed to be the Prime Minister.

He is a malevolent politician, he is not our friend.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If I heard correctly on the radio

The loss to fraud was “only” £673m.

Obviously a lot, but far less than the headline £9bn people are citing. The balance was writing down value in line with market prices and gifts of PPE to other countries
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Not sure that I often agree with Dan Hodges but he was spot on, as were some others including Pesto, that the Met intervention has made things worse for Johnson and the tories. If the partygate report had all been out there in one go last week then it would have been possible to say sorry and draw a line under it so that he could focus on ... all the other scandals and corruption ;) .

As it is, alongside all the rest of the sh*tshow we have a continuous drip drip drip of lurid partying details which is likely to continue for months.

It's another cack-handed and misguided call by Johnson and his cronies.

Perhaps Johnson's basic work method of say or do anything to get through a single next news cycle will do for him in the end?
  • Options
    eek said:

Read my post. Reeves stood up with a list of companies - some of which were dubious AFAICR. The government had a massive need, and 8,000 offers. You either go through the proper process and delay things - meaning you do not have the PPE - or you risk fraud and waste.

The government got the PPE. Your approach would not have got it.

(As for Labour not letting their mates get advantage; the history of Labour rather goes against this.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

A lot of it is personal loyalty. Boris won their seats, he won the majority, he therefore sorted Brexit, and solved the nation’s paralysis - thus preventing the twin calamities of a Corbyn government and/or a 2nd referendum

Why on earth would smart people show him loyalty for its own sake, when he will show them none in return?
  • Options

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    Most headlines on levelling up say there is no new money & no new ideas. Rather than moving people on from partygate, the govt has signalled a major weakness
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

They are afraid of him. He runs the Tory party like Tony Soprano.
  • Options
    kjh said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Agree.

I don't know if it's been discussed but currently it takes 54 Tory MPs and then a successful VONC by the same Tory MPs to remove him. Instead why can't there be a VONC in him in Parliament. It is single step and only requires just over 35 Tory MPs to vote against or even to be achieved with a few more MPs abstaining.

Or a VONC in the government. Typically that results in a GE, but it doesn't have to if the Tories can form a new government. That is not uncommon in Europe under PR and only doesn't happen here because a loss of confidence isn't normally recoverable, but with a 70+ majority is currently.
    Sadly I think there is no chance of that happening, when even the most publicly vocal opponents of Johnson freely admit to not having bothered sending in their letter.
  • Options

A point of order.

Can those on here critical of Boris Johnson please desist in calling him by his preferred cuddly stage name "Boris". Under the circumstances "Boris Johnson" "Mr Johnson" or preferably simply "Johnson" would seem far more appropriate. He is not a lovable uncle, a music hall comedian or the old fool down the pub, he is supposed to be the Prime Minister.

Can we still use Bozo (as in clown) because he is one?
  • Options
    eek said:

A point of order.

Can we still use Bozo (as in clown) because he is one?
    Anything Johnson would disapprove of is fine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

No party having lost power at a general election has returned to power by winning the subsequent general election since February 1974. That was the first time it had happened since 1924 and Heath's Tories still won the popular vote. So unlikely.
    Except that in that time we had two sea changes: the Conservatives were in power from 1979 to 1997 and Labour from 1997 to 2010 - the very thing to which I was referring.

The only comparable period in your timeframe is 2010 to 2019. Cameron's win in 2015 is exactly the kind of thing I mean.

If, but it's a big if, the Conservatives don't do a Labour and select an unelectable leader (Jeremy Corbyn) then they would stand every chance of winning in c. 2029

Stay with Johnson and they're out of power for a generation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,212
    kjh said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Agree.

As long as Boris has at least 50 loyalists amongst Tory MPs, those loyalists can vote down any alternative Tory Leader and PM except Boris. So a VONC in Boris' government would lead to a general election which most Tory MPs would still not risk
  • Options

They went to the existing suppliers.

Many of the new companies were set up by existing players in the space

Recovery clauses were fairly meaningless and would have caused delays. These contracts were with middlemen. So you pay £107m to them, they pay £97m to a Chinese company (often without having seen the product). You are asking them to guarantee quality - which they couldn’t do or give up their commission. There’s no way you’ll get the money back from China.

They were crap contracts but it was a unique situation. They did what they had to do.
  • Options

A point of order.

Surely better to call him Boris and irrevocably tarnish his persona, connecting it to the current shitshow?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Why on earth would smart people show him loyalty for its own sake, when he will show them none in return?
    Yooman nature innit
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    eek said:

The problem is that the Tories will use Covid to cover their issues but it's a simple attack (made up figures but probably reasonably accurate)

Waiting time for jury trial 2010 - 6-9 months
    2019 - 15-18 months
    2022 - 2+ years.

The problem you end up with is that to provide a comparison that Covid can't be blamed for you need to go back to before Boris was in power and he will say nowt to do with me and look at the tuppence extra we've given them since.

Which is why I have criticised the government in power since 2010. Raab has been an MP all that time. So has Priti Patel. Johnson has been an MP since 2015.

They all voted for and supported the cuts described above. They have all supported the useless police leaders. They have all failed to take child sex abuse seriously, apart from some warm words - and in the PM's case not even that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

They are afraid of him. He runs the Tory party like Tony Soprano.
    With less morals, a quicker temper and a longer memory.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Daily Mail:

Nah, it's across government policy too. Boris is gutting the Brexit red tape bonfire in favour of some undefined net zero action. That's 100% a Carrie policy that Boris has bought into because if he doesn't agree she will withhold sex and it's not as of he can pop out secretly to see the nearest violinist either, that was possible when he was mayor and no one gave a fuck where he was. Carrie knows what Boris is like too so one imagines the leash is very, very short.

He wakes up every morning with a heel over his balls.
This discussion has been closed.