Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s lockdown gift to Starmer – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited February 2022 in General
imageJohnson’s lockdown gift to Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Take a look at the chart above and what you are seeing is something that is very unusual in British politics. For it is very rare indeed for the Opposition leader to poll significantly higher than the incumbent at Number 10 on the question of who would make the best prime minister.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,905
    1st
  • Options

1st

Unlike SKS
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited February 2022
    Note too Starmer also now leads Sunak as preferred PM on the same poll 39% to 38%.
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488218034020007938?s=20&t=U92lqkAxTXx_vrO4ja-UwQ

So merely a change of leader by the Tories will not be enough for them to win another majority at the next general election. That is especially given few policy differences between Sunak and Boris, unlike the policy differences on Brexit between Boris and May or on the poll tax between Thatcher and Major when the Tories changing PM midterm did put them back in the lead and see them win the next general election.

Unless Labour gets a clear and consistent 10%+ lead in most polls, which it still does not have and the Tories turn to Sunak to save the furniture then I suspect Boris will stay. Unless there are criminal charges against him from the Met once their inquiry concludes
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    edited February 2022
    Historically it has been shown time and time again it is much harder for a new candidate to defend a seat for his/her party than the first time incumbent seeking re-election.

But history is only a guide to the future and for Red Wall seats I would look at Redcar in 2010 to 2015 to see the likely result in the 2023/4 election - fail to deliver on what you promised in 2019 and chances are you aren't going to get a second chance.
  • Options
    eek said:

Historically it has been shown time and time again it is much harder for a new candidate to defend a seat for his/her party than the first time incumbent seeking re-election.

But history is only a guide to the future and for Red Wall seats I would look at Redcar in 2010 to 2015 to see the likely result in the 2023/4 election - fail to deliver on what you promised in 2019 and chances are you aren't going to get a second chance.

Was Redcar not related to Brown not saving the Steelworks ie a very constituency based issue?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Note too Starmer also now leads Sunak as preferred PM on the same poll 39% to 38%.
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488218034020007938?s=20&t=U92lqkAxTXx_vrO4ja-UwQ

So merely a change of leader by the Tories will not be enough for them to win another majority at the next general election. That is especially given few policy differences between Sunak and Boris, unlike the policy differences on Brexit between Boris and May or on the poll tax between Thatcher and Major when the Tories changing PM midterm did put them back in the lead and see them win the next general election.

Unless Labour gets a clear and consistent 10% lead in most polls, which it still does not have and the Tories turn to Sunak to save the furniture then I suspect Boris will stay. Unless there are criminal charges against him from the Met once their inquiry concludes

Boris aren't going anywhere - which is exactly what anyone hoping for the Tory party to self destruct and then tear itself apart desires...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,239
    EXCL: Scottish Tory peer says Boris Johnson should quit as party leader and seek a fresh mandate from members.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-should-quit-force-26105149?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
  • Options
    Note too Cameron also led Brown as preferred PM by 2010, so yes leading on preferred PM polls is normally a requirement for any Opposition Leader to lead his party into power at the next general election
  • Options
    @mrjamesob this is from a Dutch newspaper, I found it on Facebook, I think it says what other countries are thinking #JohnsonOut https://twitter.com/Reg_Yarwood/status/1488473574633611269/photo/1

#JohnsonOut8 International laughing stock https://twitter.com/dietiea/status/1488434137249763329
    Dutch newspaper today: ‘Some animals are more equal than other animals’ … ‘Let’s talk about Ukraine’ https://twitter.com/dietiea/status/1488434137249763329/photo/1

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

eek said:

Was Redcar not related to Brown not saving the Steelworks ie a very constituency based issue?
    It was, so it may not be as dramatic a reaction, but there are still very big promises made which were hard to meet anyway, and now harder to get credit for due to image of the leader. That many were trending Tory for a long time counters that to a degree, but a switchback would not be unexpected now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,871
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Unless Labour gets a clear and consistent 10% lead in most polls, which it still does not have and the Tories turn to Sunak to save the furniture then I suspect Boris will stay. Unless there are criminal charges against him from the Met once their inquiry concludes

Boris aren't going anywhere - which is exactly what anyone hoping for the Tory party to self destruct and then tear itself apart desires...
    Yes, he is not going to resign because he has no shame, and neither is he going to go gracefully because he has no grace.

Starmer as next PM is where the value is.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson Approval Rating - Jan 2022:

Approve: 25.7% (-2.4)
    Disapprove: 60.1% (+3.2)

NET: -34.4% (-5.6)

Changes w/ Dec 2021. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1488474554813067264/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@mrjamesob this is from a Dutch newspaper, I found it on Facebook, I think it says what other countries are thinking #JohnsonOut https://twitter.com/Reg_Yarwood/status/1488473574633611269/photo/1

#JohnsonOut8 International laughing stock https://twitter.com/dietiea/status/1488434137249763329
    Dutch newspaper today: ‘Some animals are more equal than other animals’ … ‘Let’s talk about Ukraine’ https://twitter.com/dietiea/status/1488434137249763329/photo/1

Johnson has always been seen as a clown by the international community. That is because, fundamentally that is what he is and always has been. An unfunny joke. The only people who can't see it are his obsequious loyalists
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,009
    HYUFD said:

Unless Labour gets a clear and consistent 10%+ lead in most polls, which it still does not have and the Tories turn to Sunak to save the furniture then I suspect Boris will stay. Unless there are criminal charges against him from the Met once their inquiry concludes

Why do you assume that there are few policy differences between Sunak and Boris? We really have no idea what Sunak or any other contender would actually do because at the moment they work for Boris, he’s the boss, he decides the direction, the priorities etc.

If Sunak suddenly becomes PM do you not think that unshackled from Boris’ “vision” his policies could be vastly different - maybe for the better or the worse but it seems like you use these polls to buttress your belief that Boris must not go - “see, the polls say it wouldn’t change anything so best we stick with Boris”.

These polls are not stuck in aspic and so I think it’s a false comfort blanket to Boris supporters but also dangerous as it holds back the chance of much needed change if there are too many Tory MPs with this “thought” process.

Boris should stand for re-election, put his vision to the test against other visions and see what happens if he believes he’s the best man for the job…..
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,009
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Scottish Tory peer says Boris Johnson should quit as party leader and seek a fresh mandate from members.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-should-quit-force-26105149?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

What happens to the Scons over the next two years if the non-Scottish-constituency Tory MPs continue to resemble some of the less mobile organisms in the tanks at Plymouth Marine Aquarium? Mr Johnson will still be i/c at the next GE - and the next Holyrood election for all I know.

If the members had picked Murdo Fraser rather than Ruth Davidson as leader and split off from the London-based party when things were quiet, they'd be insulated.

Now, if they split off, they're basically admitting that the SNP were right all along to demand independence from Westminster and the UK. Edit: and some other truly Unionist party will be along in a moment to siphon off some of the vote. In fact there's already one - Ms Ballantyne's lot.

But if they don't, they'll be competing with Slab for third place.

How to resolve that, I have no idea.
  • Options

1st

Unlike SKS
    The header suggests otherwise. I am not a Labour supporter, but I could see Starmer was a winner from the outset. Irritating as it is for Tories, but he has what it takes. He is a serious leader with a backstory of achievement. Johnson is a joke with a backstory of personal and political dishonesty.

PS. It didn't take a genius to realise Corbyn was a loser.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Why do you assume that there are few policy differences between Sunak and Boris? We really have no idea what Sunak or any other contender would actually do because at the moment they work for Boris, he’s the boss, he decides the direction, the priorities etc.

If Sunak suddenly becomes PM do you not think that unshackled from Boris’ “vision” his policies could be vastly different - maybe for the better or the worse but it seems like you use these polls to buttress your belief that Boris must not go - “see, the polls say it wouldn’t change anything so best we stick with Boris”.

These polls are not stuck in aspic and so I think it’s a false comfort blanket to Boris supporters but also dangerous as it holds back the chance of much needed change if there are too many Tory MPs with this “thought” process.

Boris should stand for re-election, put his vision to the test against other visions and see what happens if he believes he’s the best man for the job…..
    Sunak backed Leave in 2016, like Boris. Sunak backed Plan B like Boris and the furlough during lockdown, like Boris and now the ending of restrictions like Boris. Sunak also wrote a joint article with Boris in the Sunday Times last weekend backing the NI increase.

As I said, there is not a tissue paper of difference policy wise between them
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/01/gb-news-interview-churchill-impersonator-real-thing-cancelled

I had to look twice when I saw this headline about a Churchill impersonator being ijnterviewed on GB News even though they knew he wasn't the real thing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

What happens to the Scons over the next two years if the non-Scottish-constituency Tory MPs continue to resemble some of the less mobile organisms in the tanks at Plymouth Marine Aquarium? Mr Johnson will still be i/c at the next GE - and the next Holyrood election for all I know.

If the members had picked Murdo Fraser rather than Ruth Davidson as leader and split off from the London-based party when things were quiet, they'd be insulated.

Now, if they split off, they're basically admitting that the SNP were right all along to demand independence from Westminster and the UK. Edit: and some other truly Unionist party will be along in a moment to siphon off some of the vote. In fact there's already one - Ms Ballantyne's lot.

Perhaps they have already created the required distance. Time will tell.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422
    An excellent thread and I agree with every part of this.

There is, however, one additional fact to add to the idea that Starmer won't reach the same lead levels as Blair. This is probably true. BUT, and it's a big but ... in 1997 the British economy was in rude health and that did nothing to staunch the tory wound, thus disproving the notion that it's all about the economy.

In two years time every indication is that the UK economy and people's finances will be in a very tough state. Indeed, we don't have to wait two years. It's happening now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,172
    FPT my suggestions for the PB verboten list:

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • I'm no Trump supporter, but
    • War with France

• Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Doubt it. All they are doing, every tine they say " a big dog left the mess not me" is admitting how shite the governing party of the UK is, every day. And they are the ones who demand subservience to that government.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

There is, however, one additional fact to add to the idea that Starmer won't reach the same lead levels as Blair. This is probably true. BUT, and it's a big but ... in 1997 the British economy was in rude health and that did nothing to staunch the tory wound, thus disproving the notion that it's all about the economy.

In two years time every indication is that the UK economy and people's finances will be in a very tough state. Indeed, we don't have to wait two years. It's happening now.

Even now unemployment at 4% is half the 8% Labour left it at when they were last in government in early 2010
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422

1st

Unlike SKS
    The header suggests otherwise. I am not a Labour supporter, but I could see Starmer was a winner from the outset. r.
    He's looking and sounding prime ministerial, isn't he? A bit dull perhaps but after this clown and shitshow some dour politics won't be a bad thing.

I'm really tired of an entertainer trying to govern us. He should bugger off to tread the boards, where he belongs.
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Yep, Big Clown has less balls than John Major.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,871

1st

Unlike SKS
    The header suggests otherwise. I am not a Labour supporter, but I could see Starmer was a winner from the outset. Irritating as it is for Tories, but he has what it takes. He is a serious leader with a backstory of achievement. Johnson is a joke with a backstory of personal and political dishonesty.

I am not particularly a Starmer fan. He is wooden, uninspiring and rather vague about policy.

He is however clearly Mr Clean in terms of personal integrity. Johnsonites seem determined to believe that he has skeletons in every closet, yet each time they look they find nothing.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,448

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

• War with Scotland (you know who you are)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

1st

Unlike SKS
    SKSICIPM
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak backed Leave in 2016, like Boris. Sunak backed Plan B like Boris and the furlough during lockdown, like Boris and now the ending of restrictions like Boris. Sunak also wrote a joint article with Boris in the Sunday Times last weekend backing the NI increase last weekend.

But Sunak isn't widely thought to be a twat for his Covid antics.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,125

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Can we also add:
    Verboten.
    Anabobazina
    ?

Thanks. ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Even now unemployment at 4% is half the 8% Labour left it at when they were last in government in early 2010
    Er, that was 12 years ago, before the full rise of the modern gig economy. ISTR that there were statistical changes in the definition of employment - I seem to recall that it only needs a few hours a week to be ticked off as fully employed now. But others may know.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

John Major only stood for re election as leader in 1995 as he knew his only opponent was likely to be John Redwood, who he easily beat.

Portillo, the Sunak of his day at the end of the last Tory government, stayed in Cabinet and refused to stand against Major
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Irregular verbs was amusing at first, but has been aired too often. Agree with the rest: it’s a view is particularly grating.

I’d add +1 and this. Use the like button if you agree with something someone has said.
  • Options

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Can we also add:
    Verboten.
    Anabobazina
    ?

Thanks. ;)
    No.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,607
    Foxy said:

1st

Unlike SKS

I am not particularly a Starmer fan. He is wooden, uninspiring and rather vague about policy.

He is however clearly Mr Clean in terms of personal integrity. Johnsonites seem determined to believe that he has skeletons in every closet, yet each time they look they find nothing.
    I agree with much of that. Personal integrity and decency don't seem to be much of a thing with British voters at the moment. But come the next GE, the contrast between Johnson and Starmer is likely to look very stark indeed, to Starmer's benefit.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Doubt it. All they are doing, every tine they say " a big dog left the mess not me" is admitting how shite the governing party of the UK is, every day. And they are the ones who demand subservience to that government.
    I love the emotive language "subservience". In the event of Scottish Independence, do you think Orkney should have to show "subservience" to Edinburgh? I mean, surely if the argument that it was "unfair for rUK to have "dragged" Scotland out of EU, surely the same logic is that it is unfair that Glaswegians should "drag" Orkney (and other regions of Scotland) out of UK? I believe some Nats say that the devolved nations should have been able to veto Brexit (and I have some sympathy with that view), so surely the islanders of Orkney should be able to do the same by the same logic?
  • Options

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Irregular verbs was amusing at first, but has been aired too often. Agree with the rest: it’s a view is particularly grating.

I’d add +1 and this. Use the like button if you agree with something someone has said.
    ISTR it was mostly used when the ability to 'like' was removed.
  • Options

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Can we also add:
    Verboten.
    Anabobazina
    ?

Thanks. ;)
    No.
    Yes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

It was, so it may not be as dramatic a reaction, but there are still very big promises made which were hard to meet anyway, and now harder to get credit for due to image of the leader. That many were trending Tory for a long time counters that to a degree, but a switchback would not be unexpected now.
    2010 - the party went Lib Dem because Ian Swales promised to help resolve the steel works.

2015 - having failed to solve the issue he quit rather than stand for re-election - and the Lib Dems almost came 3rd.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

John Major only stood for re election as leader in 1995 as he knew his only opponent was likely to be John Redwood, who he easily beat.

Portillo, the Sunak of his day at the end of the last Tory government, stayed in Cabinet and refused to stand against Major
    I remember the events very well, and I have met John Major on a number of occasions. He didn't know that at all. Please reign in your propensity for talking bollox.
  • Options
    Senior Conservative MP @CharlesWalkerMP is standing down at next election. I understand he's fed up with the abuse MPs get on a daily basis & doesn't want to be part of the "soap opera" surrounding @BorisJohnson - I'll be speaking to him exclusively at 7 on @Channel4News
    https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/1488482520375177218
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,087
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Sunak backed Leave in 2016, like Boris. Sunak backed Plan B like Boris and the furlough during lockdown, like Boris and now the ending of restrictions like Boris. Sunak also wrote a joint article with Boris in the Sunday Times last weekend backing the NI increase.

Is Sunak an inveterate liar, though? And charlatan?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Now, if they split off, they're basically admitting that the SNP were right all along to demand independence from Westminster and the UK.

There’s a deep aversion among SCons to divergence/separatism/secession/whatever mainly for the reason you allude to. Ironically they prefer not to recognise that without devolution they’d be nowhere in Scotland, with the likes of Alister Jack left to speak for them. At least 5 times ‘elected’ list MSP Murdo can see the value of Holyrood.

If the SCons don’t find a spine after the current Tory degeneration, they never will.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Have you ever worked in a company at a high level? Say you were a CFO of a bank and the CEO and you both share a view about an economic theory (Brexit) and you both agree a direction to take with the bank during a recession (plan b ) and the necessary steps to recover the Bank’s finances after the recession.

It doesn’t mean however that you agree with the CEO about what direction the bank should take once the recovery plan kicks in. The CEO might think that the way forward is opening millions of branches in new locations (levelling up) , banning paper in the office (green agenda), spending millions on a rebranding and advertising campaign (general shit) is the best action after recovery but you might think “actually, no - I think we would be better spending the money on a brilliant tech platform that’s more future proof (your view of levelling up using funds better), investing in zero carbon start-ups (green agenda) and changing the work pension scheme and working hours (general shit).

The thing is - you aren’t CEO so whilst you and he agree on certain fundamental issues you both have different visions of what to do once the major issues have been sorted with regard to future bank strategy and as you are just the CFO it’s not your call and therefore it’s fair to say that if the CEO was replaced and you were promoted to CEO then you might be able to implement your vision even if it shared certain initial components with the old boss - but as it stands you need to work and manage your area in conjunction with the strategy imposed from above as best you can.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I love the emotive language "subservience". In the event of Scottish Independence, do you think Orkney should have to show "subservience" to Edinburgh? I mean, surely if the argument that it was "unfair for rUK to have "dragged" Scotland out of EU, surely the same logic is that it is unfair that Glaswegians should "drag" Orkney (and other regions of Scotland) out of UK? I believe some Nats say that the devolved nations should have been able to veto Brexit (and I have some sympathy with that view), so surely the islanders of Orkney should be able to do the same by the same logic?
    The internal politics of Scotland are an argument for another time - and a perfectly valid one. But to return to muy issue: the problem that faces the Scons. I think 'subservience' is actually the mot juste. We are currently in a very emotional situation right now. To demand subordination - the most neutral yet accurate word I can think of in a hurry, or whatever you like - to the Johnson administration simply because it is what was done before is going to provoke an emotional reaction. Which is part of the Scon problem. I mean, if it can drive a PR veteran such as Lady Davidson to tears on live TV?!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,255

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Orkney isn't a nation. It would be more akin to the occasional oddballs who want an independent Yorkshire.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Now, if they split off, they're basically admitting that the SNP were right all along to demand independence from Westminster and the UK.

There’s a deep aversion among SCons to divergence/separatism/secession/whatever mainly for the reason you allude to. Ironically they prefer not to recognise that without devolution they’d be nowhere in Scotland, with the likes of Alister Jack left to speak for them. At least 5 times ‘elected’ list MSP Murdo can see the value of Holyrood.

If the SCons don’t find a spine after the current Tory degeneration, they never will.
    They're actually on the amphioxus level, I suppose - a somewhat rubbery notochord, but not a full backbone. But will they degenerate and turn into sea-squirts and join their CUP fellows?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,046
    Scott_xP said:

Senior Conservative MP @CharlesWalkerMP is standing down at next election. I understand he's fed up with the abuse MPs get on a daily basis & doesn't want to be part of the "soap opera" surrounding @BorisJohnson - I'll be speaking to him exclusively at 7 on @Channel4News

Conservative seats don't come much safer and reliable than this one.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

like Opats...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Johnson will need somewhere very safe to stand a chance of re-election as a Tory.
  • Options
    "The longer Boris Johnson survives, the better his chances of leading his party into the next election."

@stephenkb on how Johnson is contaminating his potential successors. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/conservatives/2022/02/boris-johnsons-toxicity-has-an-upside-it-damages-his-potential-successors
  • Options
    Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Orkney isn't a nation. It would be more akin to the occasional oddballs who want an independent Yorkshire.
    You don't think the Orcadians (and the Shetlanders) would like to return to Norwegian rule?
  • Options
    Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Orkney has it's own culture and very independent history and was annexed to Scotland in 1471. Suggest you look up history before posting rebuttals and making ludicrous false comparisons maybe?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

I remember the events very well, and I have met John Major on a number of occasions. He didn't know that at all. Please reign in your propensity for talking bollox.
    If HYUFD stopped talking bollox he wouldn't be able to post anything.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,521
    Foxy said:

1st

Unlike SKS

Problems with SKS:
    Boring - but maybe there is now an appetite for boring.
    Not great at politics - but getting better.
    Not great at speaking - but again, getting better.
    Willing to serve in Corbyn's cabinet. Not sure this has a mitigating factor.
    Didn't come out of the referendum cleanly - but is trying to reposition himself on that.

None of this really seems to be enough to outweigh 'locked down the whole country and then held a series of parties' - which uniquely manages to alienate both the covid hawks AND the covid doves.

Personally my main problem with SKS is that he has been habitually wrong on covid - always calling for slightly more restrictions, especially just as cases start to decline; critical of the government's go-it-alone approach on vaccines. But on balance I would expect "would have made you more miserable but would have shared your misery" is probably an electoral plus.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Have you ever worked in a company at a high level? Say you were a CFO of a bank and the CEO and you both share a view about an economic theory (Brexit) and you both agree a direction to take with the bank during a recession (plan b ) and the necessary steps to recover the Bank’s finances after the recession.

It doesn’t mean however that you agree with the CEO about what direction the bank should take once the recovery plan kicks in. The CEO might think that the way forward is opening millions of branches in new locations (levelling up) , banning paper in the office (green agenda), spending millions on a rebranding and advertising campaign (general shit) is the best action after recovery but you might think “actually, no - I think we would be better spending the money on a brilliant tech platform that’s more future proof (your view of levelling up using funds better), investing in zero carbon start-ups (green agenda) and changing the work pension scheme and working hours (general shit).

The thing is - you aren’t CEO so whilst you and he agree on certain fundamental issues you both have different visions of what to do once the major issues have been sorted with regard to future bank strategy and as you are just the CFO it’s not your call and therefore it’s fair to say that if the CEO was replaced and you were promoted to CEO then you might be able to implement your vision even if it shared certain initial components with the old boss - but as it stands you need to work and manage your area in conjunction with the strategy imposed from above as best you can.
    Government is not exactly the same as being in business. However you could still resign from the board if you disagreed with the direction the CEO was taking the company in.

Even before being in government Sunak backed Leave just like Boris anyway. Plenty of Cabinet Ministers have resigned over policy differences, Heseltine, Robin Cook or indeed Boris himself for example.

As I said there is no policy difference of any significance at all between Boris and Sunak
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"The longer Boris Johnson survives, the better his chances of leading his party into the next election."

@stephenkb on how Johnson is contaminating his potential successors. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/conservatives/2022/02/boris-johnsons-toxicity-has-an-upside-it-damages-his-potential-successors

Serves them right. They had various key moments in last couple of weeks when they should have resigned from Cabinet and forced a leadership election.

They have to seize the crown in this case.
  • Options

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Orkney has it's own culture and very independent history and was annexed to Scotland in 1471. Suggest you look up history before posting rebuttals and making ludicrous false comparisons maybe?
    We finally found a type of nationalism you adore. Hurray. What makes Orcadians so unique?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,404
    Heathener said:

1st

Unlike SKS
    The header suggests otherwise. I am not a Labour supporter, but I could see Starmer was a winner from the outset. r.
    He's looking and sounding prime ministerial, isn't he? A bit dull perhaps but after this clown and shitshow some dour politics won't be a bad thing.

I'm really tired of an entertainer trying to govern us. He should bugger off to tread the boards, where he belongs.
    To paraphrase Tim Vine (and others passim) "They laughed when I said I wanted to be PM. They're not laughing now." He's right, we're not.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

The internal politics of Scotland are an argument for another time - and a perfectly valid one. But to return to muy issue: the problem that faces the Scons. I think 'subservience' is actually the mot juste. We are currently in a very emotional situation right now. To demand subordination - the most neutral yet accurate word I can think of in a hurry, or whatever you like - to the Johnson administration simply because it is what was done before is going to provoke an emotional reaction. Which is part of the Scon problem. I mean, if it can drive a PR veteran such as Lady Davidson to tears on live TV?!
    I felt very sorry for her. I suspect there is a story there that she may not wish to reveal. Either way it will not have damaged her reputation as a decent human being. It is a shame for the cause of Unionism that she stepped back from leadership.

In answer the the main thrust of your argument, I think Johnson poses a massive threat to all Tories, North and South of the border. HYUFD loftily waves away my criticism, but I was a Tory voter for most of my adult life and an activist for over 10 years and I think that if someone like me won't vote for them they have a serious, serious problem.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Except there is a registered Yorkshire Party (isn’t Pb’s Herdson a supporter/member?) while no such equivalent exists for Orkney or Shetland. I suppose the occasional Libdem, tabloid editorial or online Yoon who floats the idea of indy for O&S as a stunning rhetorical argument against Scottish indy would qualify as oddball mind.
  • Options
    Conservative York Outer MP Julian Sturdy says the "limited" Sue Gray findings "confirm repeated failures in judgement and leadership" and he read yesterday's update with "disappointment"
    https://twitter.com/_CaitlinDoherty/status/1488477376879210498
  • Options
    Breaking:

the prime minister’s spokesman has just said Downing St may never admit if anyone working there - including the prime minister - gets a fixed penalty fine from the police over partygate

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1488486531073548289
  • Options

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

You don't think the Orcadians (and the Shetlanders) would like to return to Norwegian rule?
    About as likely as the population of Kaliningrad wanting to be all Prussian again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Government is not exactly the same as being in business. However you could still resign from the board if you disagreed with the direction the CEO was taking the company in.

Even before being in government Sunak backed Leave just like Boris anyway. Plenty of Cabinet Ministers have resigned over policy differences, Heseltine, Robin Cook or indeed Boris himself for example.

As I said there is no policy difference of any significance at all between Boris and Sunak
    Jesus, just because you can point to a few policy agreements it doesn’t mean that there are no policy differences of any significance - you cannot possibly know that there aren’t because Sunak has to either keep quiet and toe the line or because those disagreements are voiced between them and not publicised.

Do you know that they both have the same foreign policy views?

Do you know that they have the same welfare/social policy views?

Do you know they have the same views on defence policy?

Do you know that they have the same policy views on healthcare and the NHS?

Do you know if they have the same policies on policing and the legal system?

Do you know if they have the same policies on transport infrastructure?

Do you know if they have the same policies on education?

Just start with these and please let me know where I can read their policies where they have laid them out personally in public so I can see why you are so certain that there are no significant policy differences between them?

Thank you.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I felt very sorry for her. I suspect there is a story there that she may not wish to reveal. Either way it will not have damaged her reputation as a decent human being. It is a shame for the cause of Unionism that she stepped back from leadership.

In answer the the main thrust of your argument, I think Johnson poses a massive threat to all Tories, North and South of the border. HYUFD loftily waves away my criticism, but I was a Tory voter for most of my adult life and an activist for over 10 years and I think that if someone like me won't vote for them they have a serious, serious problem.
    If I recall you did not even vote Tory in 2019 when Boris won a Tory majority of 80
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,521

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Except there is a registered Yorkshire Party (isn’t Pb’s Herdson a supporter/member?) while no such equivalent exists for Orkney or Shetland. I suppose the occasional Libdem, tabloid editorial or online Yoon who floats the idea of indy for O&S as a stunning rhetorical argument against Scottish indy would qualify as oddball mind.
    Slightly surprised to find that the Orkney and Shetland Movement hasn't stood since 1987.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney_and_Shetland_Movement
  • Options
    NEW: PM's spokesman on Jimmy Savile row: "The prime minister stands by what he said in the House."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-keir-starmer-partygate-jimmy-savile_uk_61f90e4fe4b02de5f51ddca7
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,404
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

1st

Unlike SKS

Problems with SKS:
    Boring - but maybe there is now an appetite for boring.
    Not great at politics - but getting better.
    Not great at speaking - but again, getting better.
    Willing to serve in Corbyn's cabinet. Not sure this has a mitigating factor.
    Didn't come out of the referendum cleanly - but is trying to reposition himself on that.

None of this really seems to be enough to outweigh 'locked down the whole country and then held a series of parties' - which uniquely manages to alienate both the covid hawks AND the covid doves.

Personally my main problem with SKS is that he has been habitually wrong on covid - always calling for slightly more restrictions, especially just as cases start to decline; critical of the government's go-it-alone approach on vaccines. But on balance I would expect "would have made you more miserable but would have shared your misery" is probably an electoral plus.
    I don't have a problem with SKS. I have an issue with some of the party he leads, but right now the party in power is an absolute shit show and needs to go. Whether getting rid of Johnson would be enough is very much in doubt. There are too many in the Conservatives who just don't seem to resonate with real peoples lives. If they did, there would be 300 letters lodged with the Graham Brady.
  • Options
    As an aside, Yorkshire, has approximately the same GDP and population as Scotland.

Not that I support the lunacy of a regional assembly or the becrazed daftness of separation, but as it's being discussed thought the comparison apt.

And, of course, both realms are known for having tightfisted inhabitants.
  • Options

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

As usual, a Nat uses low level lazy insults as he is too incapable of producing a proper well structured rebuttal. You cannot have it both ways. Nationalists have argued it is wrong for that England should drag them out of the EU. My point is that it it is therefore equally wrong for a bunch of urban Scots to "drag" other Scots out of the UK. Nationalism has a severe problem with logic though doesn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus, just because you can point to a few policy agreements it doesn’t mean that there are no policy differences of any significance - you cannot possibly know that there aren’t because Sunak has to either keep quiet and toe the line or because those disagreements are voiced between them and not publicised.

Just start with these and please let me know where I can read their policies where they have laid them out personally in public so I can see why you are so certain that there are no significant policy differences between them?

Thank you.
    I can identify the differences between Boris and Starmer on those.

Starmer would be closer to the EU abroad, would spend more on welfare and social policy and even more on the NHS. Starmer would impose a wealth tax and increase income tax on higher earners. Starmer would likely renationalise much of the remaining rail network and Starmer would also seek to move away from free schools so fewer schools can move outside the LEA and be self governing.

However there would likely be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance on those areas. There would be significant differences between a Boris or Sunak and Starmer government however
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Dockside? I don't remember ever seeing anything about that, what is it?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

Starmer would be closer to the EU abroad, would spend more on welfare and social policy and even more on the NHS. Starmer would impose a wealth tax and increase income tax on higher earners. Starmer would likely renationalise much of the remaining rail network and Starmer would also seek to move away from free schools so fewer schools can move outside the LEA and be self governing.

However there would likely be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance. There would be significant differences between a Boris or Sunak and Starmer government however
    No differences? So how is it you're so bitterly opposed to Sunak taking over?
  • Options
    Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

We finally found a type of nationalism you adore. Hurray. What makes Orcadians so unique?
    I don't adore any kind of nationalism. Nationalism requires a belief in exceptionalism, which is genuinely silly and irrational. It can be a rallying point where there is genuine national threat or repression (such as Ireland), but Scotland is not repressed. For large part of history they have been very enthusiastic oppressors!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    edited February 2022
    Cookie said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Slightly surprised to find that the Orkney and Shetland Movement hasn't stood since 1987.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney_and_Shetland_Movement
    There was a brief spasm called Wir Shetland in the 2010s but it seems to have disappeared without trace. Like many ideas it survives more strongly in certain people’s imaginations than in the harsh light of electoral reality.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

About as likely as the population of Kaliningrad wanting to be all Prussian again.
    I suspect there's been more movement of population in the Kaliningrad area, although a lot of Scots apparently moved N to Orkney for the fishing many years ago.

However, on a scale of 1-10 I suspect we're in very low digits in both places!
  • Options

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't adore any kind of nationalism. Nationalism requires a belief in exceptionalism, which is genuinely silly and irrational. It can be a rallying point where there is genuine national threat or repression (such as Ireland), but Scotland is not repressed. For large part of history they have been very enthusiastic oppressors!

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

On a PB point of order: Orkney was part of the Norwegian kingdom at that time. The 1471 event was not a de novo annexation but a transfer between kingdoms, together with Shetland.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

However there would likely be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance on those areas. There would be significant differences between a Boris or Sunak and Starmer government however
    Re your last sentence the significant difference is Sunak is not disgraced by his behaviour nor facing criminal investigations
  • Options
    Farooq said:

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Hookers. In, as, erm, physically pummelled as a d. h.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Windy here again today.

I guess after Storm Corrie, this is Storm Eastenders.
  • Options

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

How many more elections do the SNP have to win before it passes for repression? One, two, three, ten, one hundred?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

However there would likely be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance. There would be significant differences between a Boris or Sunak and Starmer government however
    No differences? So how is it you're so bitterly opposed to Sunak taking over?
    Obvious to me....as his inexorable rise in the Tory Party party continues, HYUFD has worked out he will get far better party invites from Boris than Rishi.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

How many more elections do the SNP have to win before it passes for repression? One, two, three, ten, one hundred?
    Both Westminster and Holyrood, too. And adding the pro-indy SGs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Roger said:

FF43 said:

I assume Liz Truss, like millions of others, believed Jimmy Savile to be a just deceased man of good works. She wasn't part of the conspiracy of journalists who knew who he really was but help promote his image for TV programming or newspaper copy.
    ITV have just made a film about him coming out in March called 'The Reckoning'. It's good.
    BBC actually. And it’s a 4 part drama.
    I had a small involvement in the making of it and the producer I was dealing with was from ITV. It may well be being shown on the BBC or even be a joint production
    ITV Studios production, BBC have purchased the UK broadcast rights from them, I expect international rights will get sold to Netflix.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

So you cannot tell us that Sunak and Boris agree on all those policy areas just “there would likely be not a single difference”. No evidence just guesswork and supposition.

There could be vital small differences between them that make a massive difference in the long run - for example on levelling up where Boris might see it as “build big things” whilst Sunak is seeing it as “attract investment through incentives”. They both are trying to level up but both routes are fundamentally different with different outcomes but it’s not possible for Sunak to over-ride Boris and impose his preferred approach.

Unless or until there was a leadership election we cannot know if there is a better route forward due to these smaller but crucial differences but you seem to take it as blind faith that they have the same policies and therefore because of current polling you seem to suggest Boris may as well just stay on.
  • Options

Heathener said:

1st

Unlike SKS

To paraphrase Tim Vine (and others passim) "They laughed when I said I wanted to be PM. They're not laughing now." He's right, we're not.
    Bob Monkhouse.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah.

If we really wanted to oppress the SNP we would follow the Spanish route and not only ban indyref2 but arrest Sturgeon too, suspend Holyrood and impose UK government direct rule on Scotland
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Utter rubbish, usual old tripe trawled up when unionists are bricking it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Really? Joining Sybil Fawlty on statements of the bleeding obvious? If he does not survive he is of course extremely unlikely to make a come back to party leader before the next election!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

It's nonsense to suggest that there would "be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance".

Differences are somewhat concealed in a Cabinet system because, once agreed, the Cabinet line is a collective one. However, for a start, it's pretty obvious that Sunak is substantially more hawkish on fiscal matters, which would have a major impact on several of those areas.

On matters like foreign, defence, and the legal system we simply don't hear from Sunak (unsurprisingly). You casually assert there would be no difference, but I'm not sure you have any evidence for that whatsoever other than your usual breezy non-logic along the lines "Conservatism is what Conservatives do - always has been, always will be. I've always been a Conservative and always will, so am in favour of that".

Successive PMs from the same party do differ in practice on important points - some clear from the outset, others not. That would be no different here. Clearly, both Sunak and Johnson are longstanding Conservative members so share certain core views. But there is nothing in what we know of their backgrounds, characters and personal styles that suggest for a moment that they are cut from precisely the same cloth.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Carnyx said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

On a PB point of order: Orkney was part of the Norwegian kingdom at that time. The 1471 event was not a de novo annexation but a transfer between kingdoms, together with Shetland.
    Carnyx, no point trying to educate that knuckle dragger, usual ignorant verbal Diarrhoea from him. Just another Little Englander who thinks he knows it all.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you.

It's nonsense to suggest that there would "be not a single difference between a Boris and Sunak government of any significance".

Differences are somewhat concealed in a Cabinet system because, once agreed, the Cabinet line is a collective one. However, for a start, it's pretty obvious that Sunak is substantially more hawkish on fiscal matters, which would have a major impact on several of those areas.

On matters like foreign, defence, and the legal system we simply don't hear from Sunak (unsurprisingly). You casually assert there would be no difference, but I'm not sure you have any evidence for that whatsoever other than your usual breezy non-logic along the lines "Conservatism is what Conservatives do - always has been, always will be. I've always been a Conservative and always will, so am in favour of that".

Successive PMs from the same party do differ in practice on important points - some clear from the outset, others not. That would be no different here. Clearly, both Sunak and Johnson are longstanding Conservative members so share certain core views. But there is nothing in what we know of their backgrounds, characters and personal styles that suggest for a moment that they are cut from precisely the same cloth.
    So the only difference of any significance you can identify between Sunak and Johnson is 'Sunak is substantially more hawkish on fiscal matters.'

Well that would be the final nail in the coffin of the Tory MPs who won their seats in the redwall from Labour under Boris in 2019 then. Redwall voters are certainly not hawkish on fiscal matters!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah.

If we really wanted to oppress the SNP we would follow the Spanish route and not only ban indyref2 but arrest Sturgeon too, suspend Holyrood and impose UK government direct rule on Scotland
    So pre 1999 Scotland was oppressed in HYFUD world. Interesting.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

• Colour me x
    • It's a view
    • Irregular verbs
    • Dockside
    • First
    • War with France

Believe me, you don't want to know. The ugliest, most misogynistic meme of them all.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    A couple of interesting points on the housing market:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/01/uk-housing-market-strongest-start-average-price-nationwide

“Indeed, the total number of property transactions in 2021 was the highest since 2007 and around 25% higher than in 2019, before the pandemic struck. At the same time, the stock of homes on estate agents’ books has remained extremely low, which is contributing to the continued robust pace of house price growth.

Gardner noted that house price growth had outpaced wage growth by a wide margin since the coronavirus pandemic struck. For example, a 10% deposit on a typical first-time buyer home is now equivalent to 56% of total gross annual earnings, a record high. Similarly, a typical mortgage payment as a share of take-home pay is now above the long-run average despite mortgage rates remaining close to all-time lows.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,361

Heathener said:

1st

Unlike SKS

Bob Monkhouse.
    Yup, the laughter guzzler at his finest. RIP
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah.

So pre 1999 Scotland was oppressed in HYFUD world. Interesting.
    I don’t remember Scottish political leaders being arrested, but it was a long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.