Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

By 62 to 26 those polled tonight say Johnson should go – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited February 2022 in General
By 62 to 26 those polled tonight say Johnson should go – politicalbetting.com

?SNAP POLL?We interviewed over 1000 people this evening after the Sue Gray report was released. Key findings below… ?1) The public still want the PM to resign (62%, -1) and not stay in his job (26%,+1).But Tory voters are divided 50% to 44% in favour of him staying. pic.twitter.com/mPqMpod6FU

Read the full story here

Comments

• First
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited January 2022
    ...but Big Dog is saved!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Boris intent on taking the Union down with him.
  • Boris Johnson and the cabinet are a basket of deplorables.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

Not just the union, every remaining government institution it seems.

Then we get some shit from MPs saying how they’ve got “the Boris they love”.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Is Con voters current con VI or voted con 2019?
    Scottish Conservatives hit 17% in latest Redfield & Wilton. That’s very close to their floor. And they can forget about SLab and SLD tactical votes now. Even in the STV council elections.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    SNAP POLL: 63% of Britons still want Boris Johnson to resign

All Brits
    Should resign: 63% (+1 from 25th Jan)
    Should remain: 25% (n/c)

Con voters
    Resign: 38% (n/c)
    Remain: 51% (+2)

Lab voters
    Resign: 89% (+1)
    Remain: 4% (-1)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/31/snap-poll-63-britons-still-want-boris-johnson-resi?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=johnson_partygate_snap_poll https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488265110724530176/photo/1
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Boris Johnson and the cabinet are a basket of deplorables.

More like a basket case of deplorables.
    New York Times buys Wordle
    This quote from a senior MP made me laugh. "It was a good atmosphere. But the whips were standing around North Korean style checking whether backbenchers were clapping like performing seals." Another messaged "I wouldn't believe the No10 spin." 4/
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1488265579832258563
  • Perhaps the key number is the number of 2019 Conservative voters who want Boris out.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    This letters going in thing is so overblown. It took 18 months from TMay nearly handing No 10 to Corbyn for them to get their shit together. It was never going to happen before today and it is never going to happen after today.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

So much for the guy I am not interested in money shtick.....NYT will be monetarising the hell out of it.

Wordle was purchased from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.

All those knock-offs are going to be getting more letters (from lawyers) than Graham Brady....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    Scott_xP said:

Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello while addressing Conservative MPs tonight. He said he always sees the best in people, unlike Dominic Cummings (who he cast as Iago)
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1488249949284409354

“Smile and smile and be a villain” sounds more his line than Cummings’.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462
    Scott_xP said:

This quote from a senior MP made me laugh. "It was a good atmosphere. But the whips were standing around North Korean style checking whether backbenchers were clapping like performing seals." Another messaged "I wouldn't believe the No10 spin." 4/
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1488265579832258563

Whatever. They are spineless cowards.

Ain’t happening.
    Scott_xP said:

All Brits

Con voters

Lab voters

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/31/snap-poll-63-britons-still-want-boris-johnson-resi?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=johnson_partygate_snap_poll https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488265110724530176/photo/1

Should resign (excl dk)

Scotland 83%
    London 82%
    North 71%
    Rest of South 67%
    Midlands/Wales 67%
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello while addressing Conservative MPs tonight. He said he always sees the best in people, unlike Dominic Cummings (who he cast as Iago)

That was Hamlet.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Don't get this line at all.

If you want the Union to stay, is BJ having his drinks parties going to make you think "you know what, I'll vote for independence?". Especially given all the question marks over Nicola S's own behaviour and what was exposed in the Salmond case? Yes, people might vote for another party as the main Unionist party but their #1 motivation factor is the...Union, not BJ.

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    MrEd said:

If you want the Union to stay, is BJ having his drinks parties going to make you think "you know what, I'll vote for independence?". Especially given all the question marks over Nicola S's own behaviour and what was exposed in the Salmond case? Yes, people might vote for another party as the main Unionist party but their #1 motivation factor is the...Union, not BJ.

If you want Americans to keep loyal to the crown, is a tax on tea really going to make you think “you know what, I’ll vote for independence?”.
    MrEd said:

As poster Unpopular, a Unionist living in Scotland, put it on the previous thread:

- “He, and notables around him, seem to go out their way to prove everything the SNP say about Westminster.”
  • Scottish Conservatives hit 17% in latest Redfield & Wilton. That’s very close to their floor. And they can forget about SLab and SLD tactical votes now. Even in the STV council elections.

I'm not sure we'll see that much change in the Scottish elections seats wise or even vote share wise based on recent local by elections. The Tories could get squeezed in Glasgow and North Lanarkshire where they're weakest but offset that with gains in places like Aberdeenshire where they under nominated in 2017.

Even if we do see significant changes in vote share, most 4 member wards (which are mainly in the central belt) which voted 2 SNP 1 Lab 1 Con in 2017 will largely stay the same.

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    It's vaguely insulting to have a Prime minister who thinks he can just do what he wants like some latter day Roman Emperor. He ought to be taught a lesson. What reason do MPs have for keeping him? They can reasonably have one eye on a possible successor and who they don't want but he's not likely to change and the longer he's in office the more damage he'll probably do.
  • Re covid

It would be interesting to compare per country number of deaths before say 01/04/21 (ie deaths before widespread vaccination) and number of deaths after.
    How many more to come?

Boris Johnson’s cabinet has been thrown into disarray after two of his senior ministers caught Covid-19 within 24 hours of one another
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/31/liz-truss-nahim-zahawi-test-positive-covid-19-just-hours-apart/

MrEd said:

If you want Americans to keep loyal to the crown, is a tax on tea really going to make you think “you know what, I’ll vote for independence?”.
    Except it didn't, as a lot of the recent research suggests. The Colonies were slipping away well before the Boston Tea Party.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Let’s look at some of these institutions in turn.

Parliament
    The Queen
    The BBC
    The Union
    The Supreme Court
    The National Trust

This is not your gran’s Conservative Party.
    Indeed, they appear to detest this country.
    We'll laugh about today in 22 years time when we celebrate Johnson's silver jubilee.

(Well I won't, but the younger posters will).
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Except it didn't, as a lot of the recent research suggests. The Colonies were slipping away well before the Boston Tea Party.
    Scotland too.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    Scott_xP said:

All Brits

Con voters

Lab voters

Presumably those that think Johnson should stay are Continuity Conservatives. The real ones have all left the Party. Struggling to understand the position of self-declared Conservatives who think Johnson should resign ...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    MrEd said:

It's not gonna change the true Union diehards, no. But then not much would.

It may well sway some of the more undecideds floating in the middle. I daresay a lot of those would have already been swayed anyway just by "Boris Johnson: Prime Minister", but it all adds up.

There's a reason Douglas Ross and most of the SCon MSPs came out against him even before today. He certainly isn't helping the cause, that much is true.
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

How many more to come?

Boris Johnson’s cabinet has been thrown into disarray after two of his senior ministers caught Covid-19 within 24 hours of one another
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/31/liz-truss-nahim-zahawi-test-positive-covid-19-just-hours-apart/

Everybody is going to exposed to COVID and most of us will get it.

MrEd said:

As poster Unpopular, a Unionist living in Scotland, put it on the previous thread:

- “He, and notables around him, seem to go out their way to prove everything the SNP say about Westminster.”
    And is Unpopular going to now vote for independence off the back of BJ's behaviour?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

The union was slipping long before Boris' bash...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    The key is most Tory voters still want Boris to stay even after today's report.

The Labour lead was also still under 10% with RedfieldWilton today as well and even Sunak still trailed Starmer as preferred PM.

Unless those numbers change, Boris is safe

Parliament
    The Queen
    The BBC
    The Union
    The Supreme Court
    The National Trust

The modern iteration of the Tory party:

- English Nationalist, not One Nation
    - Revolutionary, not Conservative
    - High tax/high debt, not Friedman
    - State control, not free market
    - Social engineering, not conservatism
    - Nasty, not paternal
    - Reactive, not confident
    - Populist, not principled
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Cash for pals, not good governance
    - Fiscal spaffing, not fiscal moderation
    - Fuck business, not pro business
    - Proroguing parliament, not the rule of law
    - Lying to the monarch, not respecting institutions
    - Authoritarian, not liberal
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Second jobs, not public service
    - Serving clients, not constituents
    - Peppa Pig, not promoting productivity
    - Cokeheads, not sober
    - Law-breakers, not law enforcers
    - Presidential system, not constitutional monarchy
    - Sovereign party, not sovereign parliament

The only constants are the blue rosettes, greed, lies and jingoism.

MrEd said:

It may well sway some of the more undecideds floating in the middle. I daresay a lot of those would have already been swayed anyway just by "Boris Johnson: Prime Minister", but it all adds up.

There's a reason Douglas Ross and most of the SCon MSPs came out against him even before today. He certainly isn't helping the cause, that much is true.
    That I can well believe and some "meh" voters might not be bothered to come out. But, if your concern about leaving the Union is driven by concerns about how the economy will end up and / or your personal circumstances, I don't see BJ's actions as motivating enough anger to make you overcome those concerns.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    HYUFD said:

The Labour lead was also still under 10% with RedfieldWilton today as well and even Sunak still trailed Starmer as preferred PM.

Which is perfect as slowly but surely Boris will destroy the Tory party. And by the time they notice that every section of their support is withering, wavering or dying it will be too late to fix the issue.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    If Boris is forced to socially distance from his job and isolate from a political career, do we all get to party?
    edited January 2022

MrEd said:

They won't be allowed a vote on independence under Boris.

The American colonists did not have MPs like the Scots either before their revolt against British rule
  • How will Carrie react to Boris Johnson comparing himself to Othello?

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

If you want to blame someone who doomed the Union, look to Blair and the Labour Party in general during that time.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

That was Hamlet.
    And ? :smile:

Scottish Conservatives hit 17% in latest Redfield & Wilton. That’s very close to their floor. And they can forget about SLab and SLD tactical votes now. Even in the STV council elections.

No, 17% is higher than the SCons got from 1997 to 2017
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    edited January 2022

Perhaps the key number is the number of 2019 Conservative voters who want Boris out.

Yes - in particular those who'd switched from Labour in marginal seats.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited January 2022
    The story of the Johnson's and their clique enjoying their freedoms, with the knowledge of the watching police force, whilst taking such freedoms away from everyone else is one that can be easily communicated to children. Power corrupts. Don't trust politicians, and never let them take away your freedoms.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,256
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

And is Unpopular going to now vote for independence off the back of BJ's behaviour?
    Johnson will be long gone before Indyref2, if it happens.
    Scott_xP said:

All Brits

Con voters

Lab voters

Tory voters by a 13% margin also want Boris to stay with Yougov too
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Second call between Macron and Putin in three days. In who's name is the French president speaking? The Biden administration took great care to be transparent and inclusive in its communications with Putin.

https://twitter.com/ulrichspeck/status/1488268555409838084?s=21

Maybe Putin had been expecting a call from someone else, who had to cancel?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    HYUFD said:

If Tory MPs split along similar lines, he’s toast.
  • #PoorDesdemona
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

That I can well believe and some "meh" voters might not be bothered to come out. But, if your concern about leaving the Union is driven by concerns about how the economy will end up and / or your personal circumstances, I don't see BJ's actions as motivating enough anger to make you overcome those concerns.
    What you (and in fairness a lot of other commentators) fail to appreciate is that not everyone in Scotland belongs firmly to either camp. Both camps are minorities (albeit large minorities). But the key is the large number of floating voters: those are the ones Boris is going to affect in a way unlikely to please you.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

If you want to blame someone who doomed the Union, look to Blair and the Labour Party in general during that time.
    I do.

Devolution, as structured, was/is a disaster for the Union, although this only became apparently about 10 years ago.
  • MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

Dooming the union probably started with Mrs Thatcher imposing the poll tax and pissing North Sea Oil revenues up the wall.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I’m a very strong Unionist, but even I can see that Boris puts rocket-boosters on the case for SINDY.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

I do.

Devolution, as structured, was/is a disaster for the Union, although this only became apparently about 10 years ago.
    If the English had blocked devolution then Scotland would already be independent.

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

What you (and in fairness a lot of other commentators) fail to appreciate is that not everyone in Scotland belongs firmly to either camp. Both camps are minorities (albeit large minorities). But the key is the large number of floating voters: those are the ones Boris is going to affect in a way unlikely to please you.
    Given the intensity of the debate, the turnout for the referendum vote and the splits between nationalist and unionist parties, that surprises me. I would have thought the floating voters percentage would be fairly small.

How will Carrie react to Boris Johnson comparing himself to Othello?

I don’t know. Building a hameau in the back garden?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    “Boris Johnson’s efforts to take a leading role in the Ukraine crisis were dealt a blow when he had to cancel his scheduled call with Putin so that he could answer questions in the Commons about the Gray report into parties in Downing Street”

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1488271083081977860?s=20&t=F9bBDBPcdUxlDlY0KH-bGQ
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    MrEd said:

Not particularly to with Johnson's moral character but if you are an English, Scottish or Irish nationalist, Johnson (and Brexit too) serves your interest, and if you are Unionist he damages your cause. That is what it it is. Scottish and Irish nationalists on the one hand and English supporters of Johnson on the other might be slightly disenguous in their respective claims about Johnson's character and the degree to which they cherish the Union.
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

No, Boris would win a VONC at least 55% to 45% on that split
    Farooq said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

How so?
    (1) the way Devolution was designed (2) the arrogance of the Scottish Labour establishment who treated Scotland as their plaything and (3) the short-sightedness of the London Labour party who couldn't see the structural threats and failed to make a positive case for the Union.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Scott_xP said:

So much for the guy I am not interested in money shtick.....NYT will be monetarising the hell out of it.

Wordle was purchased from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.

All those knock-offs are going to be getting more letters (from lawyers) than Graham Brady....
    On which. Am I the only one who remembers Word Mastermind?
    Wasn't that just Wordle?

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I’m a very strong Unionist, but even I can see that Boris puts rocket-boosters on the case for SINDY.
    Boris has banned indyref2 so there will be no possibility of Sindy while he is PM
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Which is perfect as slowly but surely Boris will destroy the Tory party. And by the time they notice that every section of their support is withering, wavering or dying it will be too late to fix the issue.
    Perhaps the reason why Johnson continues to enjoy majority support amongst conservatives is that Party Members and Tory voters appreciate that there is no successor who wouldn't actually make the current shambles worse.

There are chronic divisons within the Conservative Party. It is not a happy camp. There is every likelihood there will be a highly destructive civil war when he goes so removing him is no small matter.

Nor will it help the country much to have a dysfunctional and divided Party running things for another two years.

It's a bit of a sorry outlook.
    HYUFD said:

Boris has banned indyref2 so there will be no possibility of Sindy while he is PM

Tick tock

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

I do.

If the English had blocked devolution then Scotland would already be independent.
    I’m a great believer in devolution. Maybe the greatest on this Board.

But it has to be done in a way that doesn’t undermine the centre.

What happens now is that essentially the devolved government gets money but no real tax raising powers. That creates an automatic lack of accountability and an incentive to bash the centre.

The jerry-rigged electoral system doesn’t help, either.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?
    See also the tv show lingo. But hey, if the guy has created this, and then sold it for lots of money, fair play. I didn’t do it. You didn’t do it. He did.

“Boris Johnson’s efforts to take a leading role in the Ukraine crisis were dealt a blow when he had to cancel his scheduled call with Putin so that he could answer questions in the Commons about the Gray report into parties in Downing Street”

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1488271083081977860?s=20&t=F9bBDBPcdUxlDlY0KH-bGQ

The rest of the western world thank Sue Gray for her immaculate timing given that Boris can usually only make foreign issues worse.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    HYUFD said:

No, 17% is higher than the SCons got from 1997 to 2017
    Yes, their floor is clearly lower than 17% though not sure if testing that floor is wise.
  • #PoorDesdemona

Nice to see all that careful Shakespearean scholarship he must have done for that book paying off.
    MrEd said:

Farooq said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

How so?
    (1) the way Devolution was designed (2) the arrogance of the Scottish Labour establishment who treated Scotland as their plaything and (3) the short-sightedness of the London Labour party who couldn't see the structural threats and failed to make a positive case for the Union.
    Ahem!

When did your own party last make “a positive case for the union”? 1958?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?
    Yup, and even closer to 1980s TV quiz show "Lingo".

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

I do.

What happens now is that essentially the devolved government gets money but no real tax raising powers. That creates an automatic lack of accountability and an incentive to bash the centre.

Plus devolution said nothing about the English, and the English regions, where places like Yorkshire have as good a claim as the Scots to self government.

#PoorDesdemona

Nice to see all that careful Shakespearean scholarship he must have done for that book paying off.
    Taken me a while, but I’ve finally figured it out.
    Boris sees Cummings as Iago, and - by crikey! - he must himself therefore be Othello!

It doesn’t make any sense, and comes across as another weird, narcissistic touch.
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?

There can't be any intellectual property rights in the format, so why pay a 7 figure sum for it?

MrEd said:

Correction: all of the SCon MSPs.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

If Boris genuinely thought he could make a difference in the Ukraine crisis, there is no way on God's green earth he'd have cancelled his call with Putin to field MP's questions in the HoC.
    Or well he shouldn't have done.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    I don't see how Johnson's conduct over partygate has any real impact on the Union. The damage in this regard was largely done by Brexit and the manner in which it was conducted. Had it not been for Brexit, the question would have been concluded for a generation in 2014.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

There’s an early Simpsons episode where Homer is allowed to work from home, so gets a plastic toy woodpecker on a spring to tap the only button he has to use in his job over and over again, while he watches TV. That’s how I imagine your PC setup at home, some form of rudimentary automated system designed to keep making the same points over and over and over again.

Perhaps the reason why Johnson continues to enjoy majority support amongst conservatives is that Party Members and Tory voters appreciate that there is no successor who wouldn't actually make the current shambles worse.

There are chronic divisons within the Conservative Party. It is not a happy camp. There is every likelihood there will be a highly destructive civil war when he goes so removing him is no small matter.

Nor will it help the country much to have a dysfunctional and divided Party running things for another two years.

All of this is true.

Keeping BoZo doesn't help. He will need to be replaced. Doing that now is better than 2 weeks before the election.

The party will stay divided as long as he stays. Removing him is a necessary first step.

It's a bit of a sorry outlook indeed
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?

There can't be any intellectual property rights in the format, so why pay a 7 figure sum for it?

The name.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Aaaron makes top billing on news at 10,
    edited January 2022
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?

Well they have massive amount of daily traffic at the moment and the brand is trademarked (the creator has previous filed cease and desist against some rip offs).
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?
    See also the tv show lingo. But hey, if the guy has created this, and then sold it for lots of money, fair play. I didn’t do it. You didn’t do it. He did.
    Indeed. The bastard.
    We planned to open a Taiwanese bubble tea shop 20 years ago. Were told there was no market. So bottled it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

And Americans have been dipping tea into cold water ever since.
    edited January 2022

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

I do.

Plus devolution said nothing about the English, and the English regions, where places like Yorkshire have as good a claim as the Scots to self government.
    Sure.

Though English devolutionists (like me) have to wrestle with the Prussian dilemma (England is too big unto itself to be devolved to), and the sovreigntist conundrum (English voters tend to be skeptical about most forms of devolution).

But yeah, totally agree.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521

It's vaguely insulting to have a Prime minister who thinks he can just do what he wants like some latter day Roman Emperor. He ought to be taught a lesson. What reason do MPs have for keeping him? They can reasonably have one eye on a possible successor and who they don't want but he's not likely to change and the longer he's in office the more damage he'll probably do.

There are several factors at play here, I think.

1. It is hard to remove a PM from office who doesn’t want to go. With an inbuilt payroll vote, and so long as that vote stays loyal, it requires a substantial proportion of the backbench to openly rebel against the leadership.

2. Far easier is if the cabinet (or a good chunk of them) are on board. We’ve not seen any indication of that at the moment. I think there are several reasons for that, but the most important is that at present, the next leader will come from one of Truss or Rishi, and neither of them feels like it’s the right time for them to take over. For Truss, she wants to get more foreign secretary-ing under her belt, show she’s standing up to Putin, and either get a settlement through on NI or invoke article 16 (to either strengthen her Brexit creds or her “amazing dealmaker” creds, whichever is most expedient). Rishi doesn’t want the NI rise to affect his leadership campaign. It would be far easier if that’s all on the books and in the past than have to answer awkward questions about it in a campaign. Both of them are relative newcomers to the top of the party and haven’t built up a bedrock of MP support yet. And neither wants to preside over a gutting of Tory councillors in May if they can help it.

A number of the other cabinet members (JRM, Priti, Nadine) are probably going to get the sack when Boris goes. So there’s not a huge incentive for them to sharpen the knives.

3. A number of Tory MPs have not known the party in the Commons under anyone but Boris. The thought that two years after they won their seat that they’d be having to decide whether to VONC the leader wouldn’t have crossed their minds. This leads to…

4. Crushing, awful indecision (the Labour MP of 2008-2010 syndrome). They know he HAS to go, but because he has gotten away with it so far they have second-guessed themselves and paralysed the momentum. I think that’s where a lot of them are - they are now seeing all the different permutations play out in their heads and they just can’t make a strong, bold judgment call.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

No, Boris would win a VONC at least 55% to 45% on that split
    I suspect in November 1990 most Conservative voters and members supported Margaret Thatcher. We don't have polling from 2003 about Iain Duncan-Smith but again I suspect he still retained the loyalty of members, activists and voters.

As you're so fond of saying, the views of non-Conservatives don't matter and in this instance the view of Conservative members and activists doesn't matter either and Conservative voters are an irrelevance. It's just down to the MPs themselves and as 1990 showed they can do what they like irrespective of what their associations think.

Remind me how many Conservative MPs were deselected for not publicly supporting Margaret Thatcher in 1990.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?
    Indeed. The bastard.
    We planned to open a Taiwanese bubble tea shop 20 years ago. Were told there was no market. So bottled it.
    I have no idea what a Taiwanese bubble tea shop is, so either you made the right call, or I am hopelessly out of touch. :)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

Parliament
    The Queen
    The BBC
    The Union
    The Supreme Court
    The National Trust

The modern iteration of the Tory party:

- English Nationalist, not One Nation
    - Revolutionary, not Conservative
    - High tax/high debt, not Friedman
    - State control, not free market
    - Social engineering, not conservatism
    - Nasty, not paternal
    - Reactive, not confident
    - Populist, not principled
    - Clown, not competence
    - Degenerate, not moral
    - Cash for pals, not good governance
    - Fiscal spaffing, not fiscal moderation
    - Fuck business, not pro business
    - Proroguing parliament, not the rule of law
    - Lying to the monarch, not respecting institutions
    - Authoritarian, not liberal
    - Corruption, not ethics
    - Second jobs, not public service
    - Serving clients, not constituents
    - Peppa Pig, not promoting productivity
    - Cokeheads, not sober
    - Law-breakers, not law enforcers
    - Presidential system, not constitutional monarchy
    - Sovereign party, not sovereign parliament

The only constants are the blue rosettes, greed, lies and jingoism.
    Vote Clownservative, you know it makes no sense…
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    Jonathan said:

Having engaged with politics most of my life it’s impossible to continue to have faith in a system that tolerates Boris in charge. This goes well beyond party.

The situation is not a good advert for one-party majority government. A PR system that made it nearly impossible for a single party to achieve a majority alone, would mean that a PM this discredited would be more easily removed from office.

If stable government means tolerating a Prime Minister who breaks his own rules, then I think we need to introduce a bit more instability into the political system.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Scott_xP said:

[FUD filter ON]
    Which means that 37% want Boris to stay as PM and that is a clear majority
    [FUD filter OFF]
  • Scott_xP said:

All of this is true.

Keeping BoZo doesn't help. He will need to be replaced. Doing that now is better than 2 weeks before the election.

The party will stay divided as long as he stays. Removing him is a necessary first step.

It's a bit of a sorry outlook indeed
    Yes, I agree, and since we seem to have a Shakespearian theme running tonight I suppose I should say....

"If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well
    It were done quickly....."

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?

Well they have massive amount of daily traffic at the moment and the brand is trademarked (the creator has previous filed cease and desist against some rip offs).
    Including me at 12.01am every morning.

#PoorDesdemona

What scholarship - there’s a poor agent who has spent the past 2+ years trying to find an expert willing to ghostwrite the book for peanuts and failing miserably.

Think it must have been a Private Eye story as it’s not in my popbitch archives.
  • #PoorDesdemona

Taken me a while, but I’ve finally figured it out.
    Boris sees Cummings as Iago, and - by crikey! - he must himself therefore be Othello!

It doesn’t make any sense, and comes across as another weird, narcissistic touch.
    I really don't see Carrie as Desdemona, which I suppose is just as well.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Scotland too.
    As it has for years.

I do.

The problem is that the English regions tend to vote down any effort to grant them devolution - a certain Mr Cummings cut his teeth on the campaign against devolution somewhere in the North of England IIRC. England as a whole is too big for a devolved English government alongside a separate UK government to make much sense, while the English regions seem to lack enough internal coherence to want their own devolution - they always get bogged down in absurd provincial rivalries.
    But Scotland is a coherent country that votes differently from the rest of the UK a lot of the time and doesn't want to be told what to do by people they didn't vote for. Brexit is a perfect example of how toxic the Union can be for Scotland. I have come to the conclusion that Scottish independence is the only constitutional settlement that will work now, although there are lots of downsides to it for Scotland and England.

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Wasn't that just Wordle?

As pointed out earlier, it is itself a "rip-off" of Lingo.
    But I'm hooked.

This discussion has been closed.