Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 10 Stages of a Crisis – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited February 2022 in General
imageThe 10 Stages of a Crisis – politicalbetting.com

“When troubles come, they come not single spies but in battalions.” It’s hard these days keeping track of all the Tories’ various scandals. Outside business interests. Wallpaper. Doing favours for donors. Free foreign holidays. Parties. Disrespecting the Queen. Blackmailing MPs. Misusing public money. Sacking Muslim Ministers. Prioritising pets over people. So here is your handy Cut Out and Keep Guide to the various stages of how a small problem turns into a big crisis. For those in or supporting other parties enjoying the Tories’ troubles, remember it could be – and often has been – you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    11 - carry on as before.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Exceptionally good analysis by Alastair Meeks, formerly of this parish, on the prospects for Boris Johnson, MP by MP:

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/every-conservative-mps-position-on-boris-johnson-and-the-parties-in-number-10-bc4f5f77032f

Summary: 82 friendly, 92 hostile or "icy", the rest cool, neutral or unknown. Makes a VONC a near-certainty, though not yet a succesful VONC.

And the reason the iceberg is there is because this is a contrived attack, Boris is under little pressure on the greater fundamentals of policy and delivery.
    Disagree. Look at the MP which defected, he'd been in talks since October. The Red-Torys are restless because the 'levelling up' isn't producing anything tangible. and no plans for education or the NHS or pressure on household bills etc etc.

What exactly is Boris and the government doing apart from meaningless sound bites is the question.
    Yours is as opposition would say - but the reason why election results like 15 and 92 happen is because oppositions believe their own hype. That’s always a danger in politics isn’t it? Others don’t see it as you do.

If there is no vonc following Sues report, no vonc in a fortnight, as I suspect, you will be saying “stupid people lacking spines” but my analysis I just gave you is probably the real reason.

I’m a Libdem. I think he should be under immense pressure now from naff policy and lack of delivery. But from the coalition of factions which put him there I’m not part of, I don’t think he is.
    What I will add

I agree with your analysis basically, the actual reason for the attempted coup was a subset of Tory feeling wanting to take control of the policy chalk board and put some rational plans onto it. We both agree on that?

Then the bit you don’t agree with me, this coup failed because they discovered they didn’t have enough fellow Tory’s agreeing with them on Boris being a failure, at this time.

But if I’m right you have to agree with me eventually, because in a few weeks time saying “the cowards have blown it, they’re spineless” is just too lazy and not thoughtful enough, to get to the real truth and learn something.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited January 2022
    3rd.

Thanks - interesting header.
  • Options
    Great thread, which neatly lists all the reasons why he is toast.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

11 - carry on as before.

12 - Go back to what you were doing before when everyone who was around for the last crisis has forgotten, retired or died. "This time it's different."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited January 2022
    boulay said:

“ Or as any classicist will tell you: After Hubris comes Nemesis. Then what?”

Catharsis.

Hopefully.

But can you imagine Euripides or Sophocles writing the [edit] Ionsoneia?

Very nice if depressingly* sharp piece from Cyclefree, anyway.

PS * = because so recogniseable in politics.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Great thread, which neatly lists all the reasons why he is toast.

Or as any classicist will tell you: After Hubris comes Nemesis. Then what?

After Johnson, Sunak.
    Probably.

If not, then Sunk.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106
    boulay said:

Catharsis.

Hopefully.

Cirrhosis.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Catharsis.

Hopefully.

Who is Cath and who are her arsis?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,660
    Entertaining thread:

It's been a while, but for the masochists amongst you, here's the return of #TheWeekInTory

1. The PM said he’d done nothing wrong, and had therefore apologised to the Queen for doing it

2. He claimed he hadn’t broken rules because nobody had told him the rules, which he wrote

3. He said he’d have to wait for Sue Gray to tell him whether the gathering of people drinking booze from a suitcase and playing on his swing during a DJ set was a party

4. He claimed it had taken him 25 minutes to realise this might not be a business meeting

https://twitter.com/russincheshire/status/1485270354939494402?s=21
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Sue Gray stands at the threshold of 9. Whatever is published this week will either bring nemesis, or extend the hubris a few months longer.

What kind of catharsis follows the nemesis in the long-term is difficult to determine - possibly a partial repudiation of Tory-populism internally, or some kind of political realignment following PR which moves Johnsonian populism off to a distinct grouping, while keeping it powerful.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

English Labour break into the upper 40s. Klaxons at central office.

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

(Survation/38 Degrees; 14-17 January 2022; sample size 2,036)

36% in England is still higher for the Tories than the 33% they got in 1997 and the 35% they got in 2001 and 2004.

29% in Wales for the Tories is even better than the 27% Cameron's Tories got in Wales in 2015.

18% in Scotland is also better still than the 15% the Conservatives got in Scotland under Cameron in 2015
    Very pleased to see you comparing current VI numbers with low-tide marks for your political party. Lang may yer lum reek!
    In 2015 the Tories won a UK majority.

Boris is still doing better in Scotland and Wales than Cameron did in 2015
    Boris Johnson should resign, say four in five Scots as poll reveals Downing Street parties scandal 'hurts case for union'

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/boris-johnson-should-resign-say-four-in-five-scots-as-poll-reveals-downing-street-parties-scandal-hurts-case-for-union-3536052
    Semi serious question. Is it still hurting the Union if 4 in 5 English also agree that he should resign? Seems to me there might be a meeting of minds on this particular issue across the border quite soon.
    Depends on how much self reflection is involved.
    Scots voters will with some justification tell themselves that they’ve had a total **** inflicted on them by English voters. Will English voters take any modicum of blame for said total **** being where he is?
    This is a key point for me.

There's a certain element "I hate to say we told you so, but we told you so" about this. One of the the things that would gladden the unionist part of my heart would be some kind of sign that English politics had somehow learned a lesson. But no, alongside the "everyone thinks Boris should go" is fully one in three people saying they will vote Conservative. As in "if there were an election tomorrow..."

I humbly suggest that anyone who says Boris must go, but states Conservative would be who they would vote for with Boris in charge, need not be taken at their word.

It's an age-old canard of unionism that surveys on issues show a meeting of minds between England and Scotland. It's a tempting argument, but it raises the question of why Scotland and England constantly vote in quite different ways. And the lack of engagement with that question from the unionist side quickens the nationalist part of my heart.
    If you vote for the SNP at Westminster (which only stands in 59 out of 650 constituencies), then it's by default impossible for you to get the government you want.
    How many GEs is it now that if Scotland had voted Lab in every single Westminster seat we would still not have got the government we wanted?
    I think Labour could have done well enough in 2015 to get a hung parliament if they'd retained their Scottish seats and Cameron wasn't able to use the 'Ed Miliband will be in Alex Salmond's pocket' attack line.
    Also considering SCONS rise in fortunes was a response to the SNP's dominance, they probably wouldn't have won thirteen seats in 2017. Take about ten of those away and add another 30 or Scottish seats onto what Corbyn won back then and he could have probably formed a minority government.
  • Options
    From Playbook: Johnson’s allies note Tory MP anger on partygate is the boiling point rather than the root of disquiet — most unhappiness is over No10 operation/whips, Covid and policy direction of govt. They’ll argue this is fixable and he deserves a chance to lead in “peacetime”

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1485570968017936386?s=20
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Assange given permission to appeal to the Supreme Court
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited January 2022

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

36% in England is still higher for the Tories than the 33% they got in 1997 and the 35% they got in 2001 and 2004.

29% in Wales for the Tories is even better than the 27% Cameron's Tories got in Wales in 2015.

18% in Scotland is also better still than the 15% the Conservatives got in Scotland under Cameron in 2015
    Very pleased to see you comparing current VI numbers with low-tide marks for your political party. Lang may yer lum reek!

Boris Johnson should resign, say four in five Scots as poll reveals Downing Street parties scandal 'hurts case for union'

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/boris-johnson-should-resign-say-four-in-five-scots-as-poll-reveals-downing-street-parties-scandal-hurts-case-for-union-3536052
    Semi serious question. Is it still hurting the Union if 4 in 5 English also agree that he should resign? Seems to me there might be a meeting of minds on this particular issue across the border quite soon.
    Scots voters will with some justification tell themselves that they’ve had a total **** inflicted on them by English voters. Will English voters take any modicum of blame for said total **** being where he is?

There's a certain element "I hate to say we told you so, but we told you so" about this. One of the the things that would gladden the unionist part of my heart would be some kind of sign that English politics had somehow learned a lesson. But no, alongside the "everyone thinks Boris should go" is fully one in three people saying they will vote Conservative. As in "if there were an election tomorrow..."

I humbly suggest that anyone who says Boris must go, but states Conservative would be who they would vote for with Boris in charge, need not be taken at their word.

It's an age-old canard of unionism that surveys on issues show a meeting of minds between England and Scotland. It's a tempting argument, but it raises the question of why Scotland and England constantly vote in quite different ways. And the lack of engagement with that question from the unionist side quickens the nationalist part of my heart.
    If you vote for the SNP at Westminster (which only stands in 59 out of 650 constituencies), then it's by default impossible for you to get the government you want.
    How many GEs is it now that if Scotland had voted Lab in every single Westminster seat we would still not have got the government we wanted?
    I think Labour could have done well enough in 2015 to get a hung parliament if they'd retained their Scottish seats and Cameron wasn't able to use the 'Ed Miliband will be in Alex Salmond's pocket' attack line.
    Also considering SCONS rise in fortunes was a response to the SNP's dominance, they probably wouldn't have won thirteen seats in 2017. Take about ten of those away and add another 30 or Scottish seats onto what Corbyn won back then and he could have probably formed a minority government.
    Even then May would still have got 307 seats to 292 for Labour with the SNP on just 5-15 seats in Scotland if Labour had won 30 Scottish seats.

So May would still have stayed PM with the backing of the 10 DUP MPs as the LDs would have abstained rather than support Corbyn or May, though of course May would still have been unable to get Brexit through
  • Options

From Playbook: Johnson’s allies note Tory MP anger on partygate is the boiling point rather than the root of disquiet — most unhappiness is over No10 operation/whips, Covid and policy direction of govt. They’ll argue this is fixable and he deserves a chance to lead in “peacetime”

So the argument is its not simply this, which is outrageous enough, but that everything is s**t and people are generally unhappy even without just this? And that's his allies saying that?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Also Alex Wickham

One underpriced dynamic is that some of the 1922 Committee executive is actively working against Johnson. You might think the body governing leadership rules is impartial — not in the Tory party, where the referees are players

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1485571579476160516

vice chairs of 1922 - Ghani, Wragg
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

Even then May would still have got 307 seats to 292 for Labour with the SNP on just 5-15 seats in Scotland if Labour had won 30 Scottish seats.

So May would still have stayed PM with the backing of the 10 DUP MPs as the LDs would have abstained rather than support Corbyn or May, though of course May would still have been unable to get Brexit through
    Which, as many of us suspected, would have been a very good thing. In the long run, although politics would have been even more poisonous for a while.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

Lotta coulda probly there.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

So the argument is its not simply this, which is outrageous enough, but that everything is s**t and people are generally unhappy even without just this? And that's his allies saying that?
    What does "From Playbook" mean? That this is a really lame deflection technique from a treatise on How to Weather a Crisis?

ETA No, it's the name of his column at https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

As the VIth form Biology master at my old school used to say in such circumstances 'If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle!'
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

What does "From Playbook" mean? That this is a really lame deflection technique from a treatise on How to Weather a Crisis?
    Playbook is the Politico daily email IIRC?
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

As the VIth form Biology master at my old school used to say in such circumstances 'If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle!'
    I was tempted by a cheap trans issues line there, but resisted rather than open up that whole wearying debate you'll be glad to hear.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440
    Imagine if Boris had done the decent thing and resigned which, as his defenestration is inevitable, would have been the sensible thing to have done. The view that he was a consequential PM who had taken the fall over something relatively trivial would have become a pretty general view and led rapidly to his reputational rehabilitation and an enjoyable, credible and lucrative post-PM career. Instead of which...

• Options

In what way does he "deserve" a chance ?
    And why is any of that more likely to be fixable with him than if he is gone ?

Desperate stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

I was tempted by a cheap trans issues line there, but resisted rather than open up that whole wearying debate you'll be glad to hear.
    Thanks; what a thoughtful chap you are! I was in the VIth ca 1956 so such discussions were, of course, rare.
  • Options

Imagine if Boris had done the decent thing and resigned which, as his defenestration is inevitable, would have been the sensible thing to have done. The view that he was a consequential PM who had taken the fall over something relatively trivial would have become a pretty general view and led rapidly to his reputational rehabilitation and an enjoyable, credible and lucrative post-PM career. Instead of which...

Its not too late for that to happen. If he announces his resignation, with an apology, when Gray's report comes in rather than dragging it out to a vote.
  • Options

Do you think Brand Boris has been irredeemably trashed? I think so but recognise I'm a somewhat partial observer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited January 2022
    Nigelb said:

In what way does he "deserve" a chance ?
    And why is any of that more likely to be fixable with him than if he is gone ?

Desperate stuff.
    As @BartholomewRoberts noted, it's quite telling that it's his allies that are saying it's everything else he's shit at that's got MPs annoyed. I think they've realised the road has run out.
  • Options

Do you think Brand Boris has been irredeemably trashed? I think so but recognise I'm a somewhat partial observer.
    I don't think it has, a couple of years from now he'll be writing columns in the Telegraph again and collecting tens of thousands per speaking engagement.
  • Options

As a matter of fact, I don't it's been "irredeemably trashed". He'll bounce back once he's out of office - he's far too vivid a personality/phenomenon to just evaporate - too showbiz. But damaged? Yep.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Its not too late for that to happen. If he announces his resignation, with an apology, when Gray's report comes in rather than dragging it out to a vote.
    I don't think his reputation is going to recover from this, even if what you suggest happens.
    I know people will disagree on this, especially you, but I think Boris Johnson is now destined to be regarded as a very, very poor prime minister.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Also Alex Wickham

One underpriced dynamic is that some of the 1922 Committee executive is actively working against Johnson. You might think the body governing leadership rules is impartial — not in the Tory party, where the referees are players

I think the one thing the 1922 committee want is a definitive answer were a VONC to be called. There is little point letting a wounded Boris continue as PM but I don't think there is any certainty (prior to Sue Gray's report being published) that a VONC will result in a decisive decision one way or the other.

A VONC with Boris getting 220-250 votes and not Boris getting 80-120 votes is the worst of all options.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I don't think it has, a couple of years from now he'll be writing columns in the Telegraph again and collecting tens of thousands per speaking engagement.
    Quite reasonably too. Heck even Theresa May gets such from speaking engagements.

Boris has been a successful PM but he's burnt too many bridges and became too arrogant. The hubristic attempt to save Patterson combined with not following own rules over drinking is the end of him.

But when all is said and done and once the heat and fire have gone out of this, he'll have a successful record. All careers end in failure, but his is over what should have been trivial stuff badly handled instead of getting the big calls on political issues like Brexit or vaccines wrong.
  • Options
    eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Also Alex Wickham

I think the one thing the 1922 committee want is a definitive answer were a VONC to be called. There is little point letting a wounded Boris continue as PM but I don't think there is any certainty (prior to Sue Gray's report being published) that a VONC will result in a decisive decision one way or the other.

A VONC with Boris getting 220-250 votes and not Boris getting 80-120 votes is the worst of all options.
    I'm not sure Boris' support at the 1922 is worse than his support from MPs generally.

Indeed senior positions at 1922 are weighted towards older intakes, who I would have thought are more supportive. I would have assumed that the 1922 are pretty split because clearly there are some who are not fans, inc. Ghani.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

From a partisan non- Conservative point of view please give him another chance.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Quite reasonably too. Heck even Theresa May gets such from speaking engagements.

Boris has been a successful PM but he's burnt too many bridges and became too arrogant. The hubristic attempt to save Patterson combined with not following own rules over drinking is the end of him.

But when all is said and done and once the heat and fire have gone out of this, he'll have a successful record. All careers end in failure, but his is over what should have been trivial stuff badly handled instead of getting the big calls on political issues like Brexit or vaccines wrong.
    I actually think he'll get a lot of credit for the UK being the first into the endemic stage of a global pandemic, but he's also probably not going to be PM by then. A lot of the UK post vaccine playbook has been correct, some of that is Boris and some of it is the MPs. In a year's time it will be fairly widely accepted that the UK got the early bits wrong but the later bits right while countries in Europe got the early bits right but the later bits wrong. National pandemic strategies will reflect that as well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

So, who will they find that wants to run the No.10 operation?

It’s nearly a year since Cummings left, and they are yet to replace him.
  • Options
    "...there are so many different varieties of non-apology apologies to choose from.."

Pre-partgate form:

Good example of the much pre-qualified “full and unreserved” apology:
    …The document said that the ex-Foreign Secretary's apology should address the specific comments made Report,…
    In a Commons statement this morning, he told MPs: "I fully accept that the delay was a breach of the House’s rules and though I’m grateful to the committee for recognising that there was no intention to mislead the House and that I have been completely transparent I therefore offer the House a full and unreserved apology.”…

The apology for mistakes which might, or might not (who knows ?), have been made:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-gives-non-apology-22409319
    ....“Certainly I’m sorry if I don’t apologise. Put it like that," he said, during a visit to a GP surgery in East London…
    Asked to name one mistake, the Prime Minister told Sky News: “It would be invidious to single out any particular mistake…

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Brief post-partygate selection:

Renault, plus the again much qualified “unreserved” (what does that actually mean, in the context ?) apology:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/08/boris-johnson-apologises-unreservedly-over-no-10-christmas-party-video
    …Boris Johnson has said he “apologises unreservedly” for a video showing Downing Street officials joking about a staff party during the peak of lockdown last December, and has promised to hand over any evidence of law-breaking to police.
    At a noisy prime minister’s questions, Johnson said he had been repeatedly assured that no party took place, and that he had been “shocked” by the emergence of the video…
    …Before taking any questions, Johnson told the Commons he was “also furious to see that clip”, saying: “I can understand how infuriating it would be to think that the people who have been setting the rules have not been following the rules.”
    He continued: “I apologise unreservedly for the offence that it has caused up and down the country, and apologise for the impression that it gives.”
    To jeers from the opposition benches, Johnson said he had no personal knowledge of any party. He said: “I repeat that I have been repeatedly assured since these allegations emerged that there was no party, and that no Covid rules were broken.”

To those who might have been offended by the nothing I did wrong…
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/13/boris-johnson-british-public-prime-minister-no-10-lockdown-party
    ...As ever with non-apologies, he starts by saying “I want to apologise”. Then, after acknowledging the rage of those who “think” that Covid regulations were broken by Downing St, Johnson insists that “when I went into that garden just after six on 20 May 2020 … I believed implicitly that this was a work event”. He further insists that he was right since “it could be said technically to fall within the guidance”. However, “there are millions and millions of people who would not see it that way”. People, he added, who have “suffered terribly”. Finally, Johnson offers his “heartfelt apologies” to these people (and to the House of Commons).

According to this statement, the problem does not lie in anything Johnson did. The problem lies in the inability of the public to appreciate the facts – and if Johnson erred in any way, it was in not appreciating just how wrong the public can be.

“Misjudgments that were made” (by whom ?):
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/johnson-public-apology-queen-over-142610245.html
    “I can only renew my apologies both to Her Majesty and to the country for misjudgments that were made, and for which I take full responsibility.”
  • Options

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Also Alex Wickham

I'm not sure Boris' support at the 1922 is worse than his support from MPs generally.

Indeed senior positions at 1922 are weighted towards older intakes, who I would have thought are more supportive. I would have assumed that the 1922 are pretty split because clearly there are some who are not fans, inc. Ghani.
    My viewpoint isn't that the 1922 is pro or anti Boris more that they would want a decision to be definitive rather than half baked as happened to May in December 2018.
  • Options

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Also Alex Wickham

Isn't the 1922 (quite deliberately) backbenchers? Who are thus most likely to be those who are not fans, since they're not on the payroll and may have grievances as to why they're not? As per Ghani as an example.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

MaxPB said:

Sorry but to borrow cycleefree's theme 'All the perfumes in Arabia will not sweeten his sticky little hand' He's been a disaster. The worst PM in recent memory (Chinese use of 'recent'). The only comfort is when he's gone we'll be able to have a serious appraisil of his 'Covid success'
  • Options

Entertaining and accurate lead - thank you Cyclefree. I especially enjoyed "rewilding of personal behaviour" - a lovely phrase.

Replying to The Valiant last thread - IIRC Alastair Meeks got fed up with being harassed over his pro-EU views. It'd be great if he could be encouraged back, as his excellent pieces are I think only reaching a small audience,

Replying to MoonRabbit - VONCs that fail are possible, simply because MPs are - how shall we put it - not always reliable in their assertions of what they will do in a secret ballot.

Wonder if MPs are more inclined to be publicly anti-Boris than they really are, or the reverse? Really not sure. I guess we'll find out if/when there is a VONC.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Just when the reputation of Australian Open Tennis was already in the gutter, they’ve now banned spectators from wearing “Where is Peng Shuai?” T-shirts, describing them as “political statements”.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2022/01/24/martina-navratilova-slams-cowardly-australian-open-banning-peng/
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Sorry but to borrow cycleefree's theme 'All the perfumes in Arabia will not sweeten his sticky little hand' He's been a disaster. The worst PM in recent memory (Chinese use of 'recent'). The only comfort is when he's gone we'll be able to have a serious appraisil of his 'Covid success'
    Only the Moaning Myrtle's who abhor Brexit and all it stands for are banging on about how he's been a disaster.

Being objective, there's no reason to say that. First country in the world to roll out vaccines. First major country in the world to vaccinate all the vulnerable, then all the population (who wanted it). First major country in the world to roll out boosters. First country in Europe to lift all Covid restrictions.

Even setting aside the fact that he got Brexit done, which is why you hate him, since you hate Brexit, the credit ledger is quite full.

But as @Cyclefree aptly noted, its not simply a measure of credits v debits - if it was, he should stay in post, but it isn't. Some things can't be recovered from and breaking your own laws is one of them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Would a leadership election go ahead were Russia to launch the attack on Ukraine?

I think not.

It is even possible that one would be abandoned and postponed half way through if there was military action.

"Now is not the time etc etc"

Worth bearing in mind if peeps are betting on exit dates.

We changed Prime Ministers during both world wars, twice during WWII, Ukraine will not save Boris Johnson.
    Times have changed. Even sensible lose their shit over switching PMs without an election, of the tories just anointing one or their members picking one, and couldn't handle the idea of Raab (or anyone) being primary among the Cabinet while the PM was in hospital. How could decisions be made was the cry.

No way the Tories do a switch if there's a european war flaring up. Not now.

• Options
    Too many stages, cant we even have a crisis efficiently?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Entertaining and accurate lead - thank you Cyclefree. I especially enjoyed "rewilding of personal behaviour" - a lovely phrase.

Replying to The Valiant last thread - IIRC Alastair Meeks got fed up with being harassed over his pro-EU views. It'd be great if he could be encouraged back, as his excellent pieces are I think only reaching a small audience,

Replying to MoonRabbit - VONCs that fail are possible, simply because MPs are - how shall we put it - not always reliable in their assertions of what they will do in a secret ballot.

On Meeks he was became rather nasty in the end, casting accusations at other posters. Describing it a getting fed up does not really match the reality. He was very concerned about medication for his partner and had convinced himself that (a) there was a real threat to supply which would endanger his partner's life and (b) that some on here felt 'so be it' and ' price worth paying' which was not anybody's position.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think that in 'retirement' he'll be paid squllions for speeches, etc, but he'll make something. After all, Farage does.

What I do think he ought to do if he's forced out is to lie low for while. Having him around as the spectre at the feast will make his successors job, if a Tory, even harder.
    Whether he can afford to do nothing is another matter. Whether anyone will give him an advance for a book is also open to question.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

Too many stages, cant we even have a crisis efficiently?

It is fairly obvious that they are a pack of inept tossers intent on chumocracy and lining their own pockets.

Do we need any more than that to toss them out? Personally, I would like to see prosecutions. Given the goings on, some laws must have been broken.
  • Options

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Also Alex Wickham

Isn't the 1922 (quite deliberately) backbenchers? Who are thus most likely to be those who are not fans, since they're not on the payroll and may have grievances as to why they're not? As per Ghani as an example.
    Yes, it is by definition all Tory backbenchers, and nobody else.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106

On topic, for some reason I am reminded of DK Brown's "Stages of a Project"

- Enthusiasm
    - Disillusionment
    - Panic
    - The Search for the Guilty
    - The punishment of the Innocent
    - Praise and Honour for the Non-Participants

Brexit is at stage 2.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    kle4 said:

Would a leadership election go ahead were Russia to launch the attack on Ukraine?

I think not.

It is even possible that one would be abandoned and postponed half way through if there was military action.

We changed Prime Ministers during both world wars, twice during WWII, Ukraine will not save Boris Johnson.
    Times have changed. Even sensible lose their shit over switching PMs without an election, of the tories just anointing one or their members picking one, and couldn't handle the idea of Raab (or anyone) being primary among the Cabinet while the PM was in hospital. How could decisions be made was the cry.

If Johnson has become an electoral liability the Conservatives won't worry about anything so comparatively trivial as a pan-European war to winning the next GE.
  • Options

Even the Rector of Stiffkey found a showbiz niche after his disgrace

Didn't end well mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Davidson
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Johnson's allies can note whatever they like but that doesn't make their assertions true.

In this case, the root problem is not policy, whipping operations or Covid: it's Johnson's personal and political character - and that is not something that he can fix (and in any case, the other issues are consequences of that character, so they're not fixable either).
    Surely what this is about is setting up fall-guys to appease the gallery when Ms Gray's report comes out? Boris can then sweep out the stable and stay in post.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Only the Moaning Myrtle's who abhor Brexit and all it stands for are banging on about how he's been a disaster.

Being objective, there's no reason to say that. First country in the world to roll out vaccines. First major country in the world to vaccinate all the vulnerable, then all the population (who wanted it). First major country in the world to roll out boosters. First country in Europe to lift all Covid restrictions.
    If he'd only made the trains run on time he'd have a full house.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think not.

Times haven't changed

What has changed is that fewer people understand how our Parliamentary system works and that the vast majority of us do not vote for the Prime Minister, they vote for a representative to represent their views in Parliament.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

If my Granny had wheels she would have been a bike.

(Gino de Campo, ITV)
  • Options

Yes, it does make it harder. It feels like a corner has been turned (not least by shocking turnarounds for Tories in Midlands etc, albeit most often thats sub samples) by which some of his former strengths - irreverence etc - are now hurting him.

He doesn't have a cohesive ideology, so once personal appeal goes someone else is no worse. But he has surprised often.

My Boris fan relative is still all for him.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Considering you were hysterically screaming in December about what an imminent disaster we were doomed to without restrictions due to the exponential growth and that those of us who disagreed were just too stupid to realise how catastrophic it all was . . . surely you must credit the boosters and Boris with being able to avert the catastrophe you were warning us about?

Or would you rather just scream fire in a crowded theatre and then when there's no fire just pretend you always knew all was fine.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

I think not.

Times haven't changed

What has changed is that fewer people understand how our Parliamentary system works and that the vast majority of us do not vote for the Prime Minister, they vote for a representative to represent their views in Parliament.
    If peoples understanding of or acceptance of the way things work has changed then the times change with that.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

(Gino de Campo, ITV)
    I thought hinting a woman was "a bike" was already something you could get cancelled for nowadays too? 😲
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

11 - carry on as before.

12 - Go back to what you were doing before when everyone who was around for the last crisis has forgotten, retired or died. "This time it's different."
    Yep. The unlearning of expensive and valuable lessons.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited January 2022

On Meeks he was became rather nasty in the end, casting accusations at other posters. Describing it a getting fed up does not really match the reality. He was very concerned about medication for his partner and had convinced himself that (a) there was a real threat to supply which would endanger his partner's life and (b) that some on here felt 'so be it' and ' price worth paying' which was not anybody's position.
    Thank goodness there aren't any types on here who who would say that 'they would have died anyway'. That would be awful.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think not.

If Johnson has become an electoral liability the Conservatives won't worry about anything so comparatively trivial as a pan-European war to winning the next GE.
    Yes, but I was thinking of imminent action. Long way to more electoral consequences
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    MaxPB said:

A couple of years from now he'll as likely be gearing up for the next GE as Cons leader.
  • Options

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Considering you were hysterically screaming in December about what an imminent disaster we were doomed to without restrictions due to the exponential growth and that those of us who disagreed were just too stupid to realise how catastrophic it all was . . . surely you must credit the boosters and Boris with being able to avert the catastrophe you were warning us about?

Or would you rather just scream fire in a crowded theatre and then when there's no fire just pretend you always knew all was fine.
    Why must we credit Johnson with the Boosters? Did he invent them? If I ever see him in a white labcoat he's more likely to be handing out IceCream (a la Mr Whippy), or in a hard hat as well polishing a JCB.
  • Options
    I do enjoy an excoriating cyclefree thread. Good demonstration of barely restrained fury in text.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

The only conclusion I draw from that little outburst is that you're hysterically unable to read - or understand - or remember. Not sure which.

But if you really feel that's the only way you can defend the prime minister, you'd better carry on with it.
  • Options
    Wonder who will water this down:

EU foreign ministers are planning to condemn "Russia's continued aggressive actions and threats against Ukraine", while calling for de-escalation at Monday's (24 January) meeting in Brussels.

https://euobserver.com/world/154167
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Didn't end well mind

Perhaps a showbizzy Swimming With Orcas thing could be arranged. BJ has something of the look of an overfed albino seal..
  • Options

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Why must we credit Johnson with the Boosters? Did he invent them? If I ever see him in a white labcoat he's more likely to be handing out IceCream (a la Mr Whippy), or in a hard hat as well polishing a JCB.
    For the same reason we must blame him for the parties. The buck stops there.

His government bought the vaccines and rolled them out, faster than any other major country on the planet. If you don't think that's worthy of credit, presumably you also don't think parties are worthy of blame?

What's sauce for the goose ...
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

(Gino de Campo, ITV)
    I thought hinting a woman was "a bike" was already something you could get cancelled for nowadays too? 😲
    I have no idea what you mean......
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do enjoy an excoriating cyclefree thread. Good demonstration of barely restrained fury in text.

It’s an archetypal Cycle Free week. This I imagine is just a mere warm up, if Boris redacts, partially releases, and then rushes to mic first to spin the Sue Report. 😈
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England
    Lab 46%
    Con 36%
    LD 10%

Scotland
    SNP 45%
    Lab 22%
    Con 18%
    LD 9%

Wales
    Lab 44%
    Con 29%
    PC 11%
    LD 10%

(Gino de Campo, ITV)
    When I were a lad 'little round heels' was the phrase. Hadn't heard it for years, then it popped up somewhere recently.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

That's a rather unkind and unrealistic view.

IMO the government (and hence Johnson) can be praised for four things wrt boosters:
    Recognising the need for boosters ahead of the event - before last summer.
    Scheduling them for the elderly when they would be most effective over winter.
    Expanding the booster scheme to under-50s when the issues with omicron became clear.
    Ensuring we had supply.

There were issues with all of these, but generally they worked well.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

The only conclusion I draw from that little outburst is that you're hysterically unable to read - or understand - or remember. Not sure which.

But if you really feel that's the only way you can defend the prime minister, you'd better carry on with it.
    I've called repeatedly for months now for Boris to go. So not defending him.

But you're the one claiming there was a looming catastrophe were you not? You were extremely rude to me and others claiming we didn't understand exponential growth, simply because we disagreed with you.

Instead there were no new restrictions at the end of December as you were screaming were required and the number of people in intensive care is at a six-month low.

If you can't see the difference between your catastrophising and what really happened, then that speaks volumes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I hate to be personal, but Mr Meeks was extremely emotional in attacking and insulting others for Brexit views, but refused to accept he was being so, as well as any attacks he also received.

I'd love him to be around, but it seemed a situation where being on PB only caused him anger rather than it being cathartic, and he both recieved and gave out verbal lashings, not a matter of him being hounded or harassed for being pro EU.

When the fun stops stop, as they say. Real shame though.
    He refused to accept that there could be any other explanation of pro-Brexit views than base racism and xenophobia and was vilely abusive of anyone with pro-Brexit views, regardless of what those views were, painting any valid justification for being pro-Brexit as simply a cover for xenophobia. He not only dished out bile and nastiness but initiated the bad blood with anyone expressing pro-Brexit views. He would then accept no criticism of his nastiness and had an extremely thin skin at any attempt to point out his behaviour. Indeed, I think he may have been genuinely blind to his own behaviour.

A real shame. Pre-Brexit, as antifrank, he was one of my favorite posters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, it does make it harder. It feels like a corner has been turned (not least by shocking turnarounds for Tories in Midlands etc, albeit most often thats sub samples) by which some of his former strengths - irreverence etc - are now hurting him.

He doesn't have a cohesive ideology, so once personal appeal goes someone else is no worse. But he has surprised often.

Let's not forget the depth of trouble he would be in even if nobody had opened a single bottle in Downing Street in the whole of 2020-21

Beginning Nov Paterson
    End Nov peppa cbi speech
    16 Dec North Salop

Allegra went on 8 Dec but partygate was in its infancy at the time of NS
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Didn't end well mind

Perhaps a showbizzy Swimming With Orcas thing could be arranged. BJ has something of the look of an overfed albino seal..
    On checking the rev's bio I see he spent a year as a naval chaplain in Shetland during WWI so may have rubbed shoulders with my great grandad. I'm sure as a good Lewisman my gg would have deplored such CoE decadence.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I hate to be personal, but Mr Meeks was extremely emotional in attacking and insulting others for Brexit views, but refused to accept he was being so, as well as any attacks he also received.

I'd love him to be around, but it seemed a situation where being on PB only caused him anger rather than it being cathartic, and he both recieved and gave out verbal lashings, not a matter of him being hounded or harassed for being pro EU.

When the fun stops stop, as they say. Real shame though.
    I hope he's feeling better. I don't follow his Twitter but it does seem more positive than his last few months here.
  • Options

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

His government bought the vaccines and rolled them out, faster than any other major country on the planet. If you don't think that's worthy of credit, presumably you also don't think parties are worthy of blame?

Nonsense in that’s two very different things.

Roll out programme as with all things fighting covid has been a National effort. Your attempt to stamp any success with Tory moniker there is quite disgusting.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    Sky News have picked up the Mail's leader that Downing St police have given "extremely damning" evidence to Sue Gray.

Well I'm happy if that's true but how the blazers does anyone know this? How would that have leaked? Serious question.
  • Options
    Won't come as any surprise but La Sturgeon is at it again. IndyRef in '23 apparently. Ho ho.
    My feeling is that Scots are pretty scunnered with Covid, Brexit, etc, and not really up for this. Misstep? Or more aimed at shoring up position in SNP - although she seems pretty secure to me.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-plans-to-introduce-independence-bill-in-the-coming-weeks
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Let's not forget the depth of trouble he would be in even if nobody had opened a single bottle in Downing Street in the whole of 2020-21

Beginning Nov Paterson
    End Nov peppa cbi speech
    16 Dec North Salop

Allegra went on 8 Dec but partygate was in its infancy at the time of NS
    The flat
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited January 2022
    Listening to Boris live just now he is all bluster and avoiding all the questions on Sue Gray and cost of living crisis

It is embarrassing, partygate is paralysing Boris and HMG and this report is desperately needed now so the consequences can happen, whatever they are, and the nation can move on

I would say that reading between the lines the NI increase looks likely to be postponed, if not cancelled altogether
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

That's a rather unkind and unrealistic view.

IMO the government (and hence Johnson) can be praised for four things wrt boosters:
    Recognising the need for boosters ahead of the event - before last summer.
    Scheduling them for the elderly when they would be most effective over winter.
    Expanding the booster scheme to under-50s when the issues with omicron became clear.
    Ensuring we had supply.

There were issues with all of these, but generally they worked well.
    To that we might add that Javid (at least) dropping the piano lid on JCVI's fingers - a portion pf JCVI was trying to prevent both boosters and child vaccination from happening.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sky News have picked up the Mail's leader that Downing St police have given "extremely damning" evidence to Sue Gray.

Well I'm happy if that's true but how the blazers does anyone know this? How would that have leaked? Serious question.

The rozzers themselves?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited January 2022

Chris said:

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

I've called repeatedly for months now for Boris to go. So not defending him.

But you're the one claiming there was a looming catastrophe were you not? You were extremely rude to me and others claiming we didn't understand exponential growth, simply because we disagreed with you.

Instead there were no new restrictions at the end of December as you were screaming were required and the number of people in intensive care is at a six-month low.

If you can't see the difference between your catastrophising and what really happened, then that speaks volumes.
    "there were no new restrictions at the end of December as you were screaming were required"

You are wrong about that.

Despite being asked repeatedly @Chris refused to say what he would do in the then situation. We made him Prime Minister and King of the World and still answer/plan came there none.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Wonder who will water this down:

EU foreign ministers are planning to condemn "Russia's continued aggressive actions and threats against Ukraine", while calling for de-escalation at Monday's (24 January) meeting in Brussels.

https://euobserver.com/world/154167

Can anybody understand or explain the EU's foreign policy approach on is eastern borders? It seems to lack all coherence.
  • Options

Chris said:

Roger said:

MaxPB said:

Nonsense in that’s two very different things.

Roll out programme as with all things fighting covid has been a National effort. Your attempt to stamp any success with Tory moniker there is quite disgusting.
    Of course its been a national effort, but who's running the nation? The buck stops at the top for good and bad.

Had the rollout been a disaster you wouldn't hesitate to blame the Tories for that now would you?

Virtually every other country on the planet has had fighting Covid as a national effort too but no other major nation has handled vaccines as well as the UK has. No other nation in Europe has been able to remove all restrictions before England.

And its only Tory-led England that avoided further restrictions in December too. NI, Wales and Scotland all handled that worse and felt the compulsion to impose new restrictions, which England didn't.
This discussion has been closed.