Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: January 16th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: January 16th 2014

Broadheath on Trafford (Con Defence)
Result of last election to council (2012): Con 34, Lab 25, Lib Dem 4 (Conservative overall majority of 5)
Result of ward in last electoral cycle:
2010: Con 2,569 (42%), Lab 1,799 (29%), Lib Dem 1,519 (25%), Green 247 (4%)
2011: Con 1,879 (43%), Lab 1,757 (40%), Lib Dem 307 (7%), UKIP 205 (5%), Green 202 (5%)
2012:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    FPT Curse of the thread change!

Comparisons between Ozzie and Millie are odious.

Ozzie has a clear strategy. He is trying to get rid of what he sees as the poverty trap. He is trying to make work clearly and manifestly pay more than being out of work.

Now, you may argue that he is a cruel tory for this, wrongly victimising those on benefits, many of whom can't work, and you may have a point.

But Milli would never have done that. He may well have wanted to hike the minimum wage, but he would never have cut or frozen benefits or reformed the system at all.

In truth, labour sees little difference between the low paid and those on benefits, as evidenced by the fact that people on benefits can join Unite, for example.

But Ozzie sees a world of difference. And I bet those on low pay do, too.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    FPT

AveryLP said:

These Tory supporters on Conhome need to get with the new direction, the future is red, even for the blues:

"There's nothing wrong with it per se.
    It's just that Conservatives appear to be chasing a demographic who will never vote for them and, once again, they risk alienating more core voters.
    Why has there been an about-face on the minimum wage? Tories opposed it when it was introduced. Either they are admitting they were wrong (fair enough, what else were they wrong about?) or the party has moved to the left, which is what I believe."

compouter

George has outflanked, outwitted and outplayed the two Eds.

Where next for these two Labour titans?

Out and out, I suspect.

Economically this is total tosh as one would expect from our clueless Chancellor.

Politically he's using Ed's butt crack to park his bike.
    Bad hair day, Mr. Brooke?

Did you catch my Warwickshire reference in my post on St. George's visit to Coventry earlier today?
  • Options
    Go Red George! What other left wing policies will he produce to outwit the two Eds?
  • Options
    Point of interest.

The Tories took control in the noughties in Trafford when the authority was re-organised. Effectively 3 wards (9 seats) were lost that were all strong Labour, this saw the Tories come back to power in this authority.

Broadheath is incredibly close to Brooklands which is in the Wythenshawe & Sale East constituency that has a by election coming soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

These Tory supporters on Conhome need to get with the new direction, the future is red, even for the blues:

"There's nothing wrong with it per se.
    It's just that Conservatives appear to be chasing a demographic who will never vote for them and, once again, they risk alienating more core voters.
    Why has there been an about-face on the minimum wage? Tories opposed it when it was introduced. Either they are admitting they were wrong (fair enough, what else were they wrong about?) or the party has moved to the left, which is what I believe."

compouter

George has outflanked, outwitted and outplayed the two Eds.

Where next for these two Labour titans?

Out and out, I suspect.

Avery I do not care if he has done it to outwit the two Ed's or trump Milibands speech. He is introducing a left wing policy and I am very happy. The fact he attacked the very policy he has just announced only six days ago is a bonus. As I posted earlier. Every one is a winner. I hope he continues to trump both Ed's with even more left wing policies.
    If you are seeing red, it is not a shift leftwards by Osborne. It is far more likely to be a compouter virus.

What we are seeing from George is fine-tuning of the economy by careful manipulation of complex levers and perfect cyclical timing.

It's what he does for a living. Long may it continue!
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2014

Go Red George! What other left wing policies will he produce to outwit the two Eds?

Next week he is holding a Tory-wide seminar on how to stuff fraudulent postal ballots into envelopes.

Should be a doozy.

• Options

Point of interest.

The Tories took control in the noughties in Trafford when the authority was re-organised. Effectively 3 wards (9 seats) were lost that were all strong Labour, this saw the Tories come back to power in this authority.

Broadheath is incredibly close to Brooklands which is in the Wythenshawe & Sale East constituency that has a by election coming soon.

Broadheath, if memory serves me, has a very large council estate next to the industrial estate, while Brooklands is leafy on the other side of Manchester Road.
  • Options
    Well, as someone who opposes the concept of a 'minimum wage' with every fibre of my being, today is the darkest of days. Nevertheless, one cannot but help admire Ozzy's chutzpah. The 50p tax-rate stuff has now been thoroughly neutralized.
  • Options

Point of interest.

Broadheath, if memory serves me, has a very large council estate next to the industrial estate, while Brooklands is leafy on the other side of Manchester Road.
    Not really.

Brooklands (Manchester side and not Trafford side) is largely a council estate and Broadheath is the 'poorest' end of Altrincham.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hopefully this will be combined with a cut in employer NI and a freeze in benefits and tax credits.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

Point of interest.

Not really.

Brooklands (Manchester side and not Trafford side) is largely a council estate and Broadheath is the 'poorest' end of Altrincham.
    It has been a while since I was there, however, my bad, I maybe thinking of Woodlands, not Brooklands. I actually worked behind the Broadheath Estate off Dairyhouse Lane.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Point of interest.

Is the Barclays Bank Compouter Centre still operating in Wythenshawe?

When it opened in the 1971 (it was originally a Martins Bank development) it was heralded as a great example of sixties/seventies brutalist architecture.

See: http://bit.ly/1kEKnef

I ask because I believe TSE has done some extensive research on the voting intentions of bank computer programmers. The results of this research might well suggest the trend towards blue victories in Manchester will continue in both local elections and the Wythenshawe and Sale East by election.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    I am delighted that Osborne is pushing the idea of a higher minimum wage at a time when the economy can afford to lose a few jobs at the margins as it is creating 2,000 jobs a day. It will make it much easier to make work pay.

That said some things do need to be recognised.

Those on the minimum wage and in work benefits will have marginal tax rates of well over 60% as a significant part of their increase will be clawed back from their benefits. Overall the cost of employing this marginal labour is being more heavily directed towards the employer who gets the benefit of it. This is a good thing but I suspect many of the recipients might feel a little cheated.

The problem will be particularly acute for those whose benefits form such a large share of their income. The most obvious of these are those who are working part time hours which are currently being made up to full time wages by the state. This is really hard to justify and the incentive to look for full time work or more hours in this group needs further enhancement.

The problem of fairly notional self employment again topped up with over generous in work benefits will not be affected by this at all. If there are more jobs around (as there are) it is time the bottom end of this scam was squeezed out of existence. A deemed income level akin to the minimum wage may be one solution.

One obvious consequence is that services provided by the low paid in cafes, restaurants and shops are going to cost more giving a boost to inflation. Given the deflationary risks we are facing at the moment and the very low rate of inflation this is an acceptable risk but that will not always be the case. There is a risk that the increase in the minimum wage will be eroded by higher inflation.

Unemployment remains a blight for too many of our citizens, particularly the young. As Nigel Lawson correctly said many years ago this is more a moral problem than an economic one. A higher minimum wage requries the marginal output of unskilled workers to be worth more. This means there must be much greater emphasis on improving productivity and in work training. Otherwise we are condemning some of our citizens to truly miserable lives.

So the right plan but no silver bullet. There is much still to do.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Point of interest.

When it opened in the 1971 (it was originally a Martins Bank development) it was heralded as a great example of sixties/seventies brutalist architecture.

I ask because I believe TSE has done some extensive research on the voting intentions of bank computer programmers. The results of this research might well suggest the trend towards blue victories in Manchester will continue in both local elections and the Wythenshawe and Sale East by election.
    Strange enough, I moved jobs from Broadheath (the address was Dunham Massey, however, it was Broadheath in all but name) across to Wythenshaw, however, cannot remember the Barclays Centre still being there.Looking on the internet it looks like the council took it over.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited January 2014
    Interesting to see if UKIP make any major inroads. If they have any hope of winning W&SE they'll need to win votes from both big parties (and lots of votes at that). On the other hand, note how the collapse in LD vote wasn't accompanied by an increase in Lab votes just vote share. Turnout's a bitch.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am delighted that Osborne is pushing the idea of a higher minimum wage at a time when the economy can afford to lose a few jobs at the margins as it is creating 2,000 jobs a day. It will make it much easier to make work pay.

That said some things do need to be recognised.

Those on the minimum wage and in work benefits will have marginal tax rates of well over 60% as a significant part of their increase will be clawed back from their benefits. Overall the cost of employing this marginal labour is being more heavily directed towards the employer who gets the benefit of it. This is a good thing but I suspect many of the recipients might feel a little cheated.

The problem will be particularly acute for those whose benefits form such a large share of their income. The most obvious of these are those who are working part time hours which are currently being made up to full time wages by the state. This is really hard to justify and the incentive to look for full time work or more hours in this group needs further enhancement.

The problem of fairly notional self employment again topped up with over generous in work benefits will not be affected by this at all. If there are more jobs around (as there are) it is time the bottom end of this scam was squeezed out of existence. A deemed income level akin to the minimum wage may be one solution.

One obvious consequence is that services provided by the low paid in cafes, restaurants and shops are going to cost more giving a boost to inflation. Given the deflationary risks we are facing at the moment and the very low rate of inflation this is an acceptable risk but that will not always be the case. There is a risk that the increase in the minimum wage will be eroded by higher inflation.

Unemployment remains a blight for too many of our citizens, particularly the young. As Nigel Lawson correctly said many years ago this is more a moral problem than an economic one. A higher minimum wage requries the marginal output of unskilled workers to be worth more. This means there must be much greater emphasis on improving productivity and in work training. Otherwise we are condemning some of our citizens to truly miserable lives.

So the right plan but no silver bullet. There is much still to do.

Great post, David.

As have been three posts by taffys today which I haven't acknowledged.

Now we only need to house train compouter.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Barclays, Shell and Lloyds Bank were resident in some of those amazing 60's concrete buildings.

Shell (and I think Barclays) have moved closer to the airport (but still within Wythenshawe & Sale East) whilst Lloyds are still in Wythenshawe town centre.

Virgin Media and a fair few other Blue chip companies also have reasonable number of staff in the area, alas, the locals tend to work cleaning the offices or in the canteens and the ones ona decent wage drive in from across the north west.

• Options

Point of interest.

Not really.

The pub that used to be in front of the industrial estate was one of the first ones I ever saw with the bars inside the window. When I asked why they were inside and not outside, I was told it stopped people trying to throw other customers through them. Always liked working in "Alty".
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Point of interest.

Strange enough, I moved jobs from Broadheath (the address was Dunham Massey, however, it was Broadheath in all but name) across to Wythenshaw, however, cannot remember the Barclays Centre still being there.Looking on the internet it looks like the council took it over.
    It was certainly still going in the 1980s when I visited. It was, at the time, the national centre for Barclays branch banking computer operations.

Still I guess a lot of blue boxes have been dumped since then.

• Options

Point of interest.

Not really.

The pub that used to be in front of the industrial estate was one of the first ones I ever saw with the bars inside the window. When I asked why they were inside and not outside, I was told it stopped people trying to throw other customers through them. Always liked working in "Alty".

The Railway I guess.

Used to need a 'special knock' to get let in early doors on a Saturday when United or City were at home.

Bar staff tended not to wear too much and were mostly female.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Barclays, Shell and Lloyds Bank were resident in some of those amazing 60's concrete buildings.

Shell (and I think Barclays) have moved closer to the airport (but still within Wythenshawe & Sale East) whilst Lloyds are still in Wythenshawe town centre.

Virgin Media and a fair few other Blue chip companies also have reasonable number of staff in the area, alas, the locals tend to work cleaning the offices or in the canteens and the ones ona decent wage drive in from across the north west.

Are Virgin on Concorde Business Park? The Heald Green pub was a fine drinking establishment up the road from it.
  • Options

Point of interest.

Not really.

The Railway I guess.

Used to need a 'special knock' to get let in early doors on a Saturday when United or City were at home.

Bar staff tended not to wear too much and were mostly female.
    That was it. It looks a lot nicer on Google maps than it did many years ago.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    Someone who can spell bellwether correctly :-)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Great to see the Tories adopting sensible, left of centre policies on the economy at last.

The credit all has to go to Labour and the Lib Dems for keeping the political pressure on Osborne, without which the Tories would never consider a decent minimum wage rise.

£7 an hour in a couple of years is still too low, and far too little to address the poverty / cost of living crisis though.

Hugh, from little acorns.....as long as he produces more left wing policies and give us the spin of trumping the Labour Party, we can all merrily move leftwards together. Also sends the Tory posters into a tizzy on Conhome.....bonus.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Great to see the Tories adopting sensible, left of centre policies on the economy at last.

The credit all has to go to Labour and the Lib Dems for keeping the political pressure on Osborne, without which the Tories would never consider a decent minimum wage rise.

£7 an hour in a couple of years is still too low, and far too little to address the poverty / cost of living crisis though.

It was Angela Eagle's demonic stare at PMQs wot did it, Hugh.

http://dailym.ai/1atncgn

Enough to scare any stray dog into retreat.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Hugh said:

The left planned on raising the minimum wage and paying for it by capping benefits? Who knew?
  • Options
    Not sure a rising minimum wage is better than continuing to cut taxes. It's difficult to quantify the risk to employment at the lower end. But anything that makes work pay is a good thing.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Must be some mistake

@SkyNews: i NEWSPAPER FRONT PAGE "Osborne's £7 an hour wage pledge" #skypapers http://t.co/zlJgq9q8Lh

They seem to have misspelt Miliband...
  • Options
    Just a few minutes until I find out how the dastardly former MP has landed in Belgium.
  • Options
    The same mistake appears here too...

@SkyNews: TELEGRAPH FRONT PAGE "Minimum wage can rise, says Osborne" #skypapers http://t.co/Wk6w9IInjM
  • Options

Not sure a rising minimum wage is better than continuing to cut taxes. It's difficult to quantify the risk to employment at the lower end. But anything that makes work pay is a good thing.

You can't cut taxes below zero. The lower paid on less than full time hours were already paying zero tax.

That said I hope that Employers NI gets cut as soon as money allows to offset some of the cost of this policy. Taken along with the 3% pension contributions being mandated those with a poorly trained workforce and low margins will feel the pain of this.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    One thought from reading through the previous thread is that very few UK people have any idea what actually happens in the EU let alone what actually goes on in Westminster and even their local councils.
    I really would like to know why.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

One thought from reading through the previous thread is that very few UK people have any idea what actually happens in the EU let alone what actually goes on in Westminster and even their local councils.

You have the Great British Press to thank for that.
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You can't cut taxes below zero. The lower paid on less than full time hours were already paying zero tax.

That said I hope that Employers NI gets cut as soon as money allows to offset some of the cost of this policy. Taken along with the 3% pension contributions being mandated those with a poorly trained workforce and low margins will feel the pain of this.

Employers got a £2000 cut in their NI in the 2013 budget.

• Options
    Ed Miliband will on Friday commit that a Labour government would create two new large banks to challenge the existing big banks.

this would entail the break up of the UK's largest retail banks, including Lloyds and Royal Bank of Scotland.

They accepted that the uncertainty about the future structure of the two banks could blow up any attempt to privatise RBS before the election, or to sell any more of taxpayers' shares in Lloyds before it is clear who will form the next government.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25768906
  • Options
    More unhappy Tory supporters on Conhome:

"Unprincipled politics and bad socialist economics.

This is not the sort of thing a Tory Government should be doing. Increasing the tax threasholds would be much more effective."

Do they not know we are all in this "left wing policy love in" together?
  • Options
    It is thoroughly depressing to see professed advocates of a free market celebrating a gross extension of an unjustifiable restriction on freedom of contract. The effect of a minimum wage is to make it unlawful to employ the low-skilled at wages which the reflect the value of their labour. It is folly comparable to setting a minimum price for steel or corn. This may be good politics for the Conservatives, but it is a sad day for liberty.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%

Another tramadol poll.
  • Options
    Poll, what poll.....look squirrel.

***** Tumbleweed rolls past *****
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ed Miliband will on Friday commit that a Labour government would create two new large banks to challenge the existing big banks.

this would entail the break up of the UK's largest retail banks, including Lloyds and Royal Bank of Scotland.

They accepted that the uncertainty about the future structure of the two banks could blow up any attempt to privatise RBS before the election, or to sell any more of taxpayers' shares in Lloyds before it is clear who will form the next government.

"The plans are therefore likely to lead to falls in the share prices of big banks on Friday."

Ed Miliband is, quite simply, and now unambiguously, insane. Utterly insane.

Once - energy - might have been naivety, although, given that he's a former Cabinet minister in charge of that brief, to give him the benefit of that doubt was always a big stretch. He tried it again with housebuilding - luckily, no-one much noticed. The third time, it's impossible to avoid the conclusion that it's deliberate.

Labour MPs reading this: you need to get rid of him, and fast, else you (and the country) may actually be stuck with him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Employers got a £2000 cut in their NI in the 2013 budget.

I know but an increase in the NMW at the level that is being talked about will claw most of that back again. We still have a huge deficit and the room for manouvre is limited but the tax on jobs of Eer NI is pernicious and should be a priority.
  • Options

It is thoroughly depressing to see professed advocates of a free market celebrating a gross extension of an unjustifiable restriction on freedom of contract. The effect of a minimum wage is to make it unlawful to employ the low-skilled at wages which the reflect the value of their labour. It is folly comparable to setting a minimum price for steel or corn. This may be good politics for the Conservatives, but it is a sad day for liberty.

If you have benefits at a high level, how else to encourage work? Serious question.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    A curious area, Trafford. Broadheath ward is a smidge above average for the council area on economic and other indices (useful profile here: http://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/community/stronger-communities/neighbourhood-forums/docs/broadheath-ward-profile.pdf ) but generally fairly typical.

Can't see UKIP getting out many votes here - too 'metropolitan' in character as an area - but they will improve. Those they do take will be largely from the Tory end, so could prove decisive. I marginally favour a Labour win...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited January 2014

Well said.

How utterly hypocritical.. the tories on here cheering it now are doing so just because they think its good for their polling. Partisanship trumping what they (pretended to?) believe in

If only tim were here to point out how they were cheering their own side dancing to Labours tune... he must be chuckling to himself, particularly at.. oh you know who you are

It reminds me of Tottenham fans celebrating a last minute equaliser against Arsenal at White Hart Lane in 2004, while the invincibles celebrated winning the league at the other end
  • Options
    Optimism is good in public, realism is more useful in private. The article is right that Cameron shouldn't and likely isn't wasting time working out how to get OGH looking clever by winning the Euros, and that 3rd place might be no big deal but could be a serious issue for them.
  • Options

Yes, and this is in opposition when, presumably, he's trying not to frighten too many horses. What he'll come up with if he gets unfettered access to power is mind boggling. I'm genuinely frightened.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Edin_Rokz said:

You have the Great British Press to thank for that.
    The Great British Press is largely a vehicle for gossip and scandal. It expects serious things from government but debases the culture at the same time.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

The key paragraph in the BBC article is the last:

On Wednesday, the governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, told the Treasury Select Committee that "just breaking up an institution doesn't necessarily create a more intensive competitive structure... It's not just about one aspect. You need to look at the entire business model and risk profile."

This coming on top of the slapping Miliband got from José Ángel Gurría, the Secretary-General of the OECD, on his proposals for price freeze in the energy industry, shows that he is fast losing the tolerance, let alone support, of key independent economic agencies.

Miliband's populist electioneering will force the markets out of cautious political neutrality and we are likely to see some early warning shots fired in the run-up to the election.

Miliband is either totally ignorant of basic economics and markets or he has chosen to risk the future prosperity of the country in return for short lived domestic political advantage. I suspect the latter as his behaviour on the banking and domestic energy industries is similar to that of his irresponsibility over Syria.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Osborne playing to Labour`s tune indicates he lacks the confidence and consistency in his own policies.Only last week,he was saying minimum wage rising above inflation would be costly to jobs.

Labour`s cost of living campaign has completely overshadowed the macroeconomy and Osborne has finally thrown in the towel.
  • Options
    Not even The Times can spell Miliband properly...

@DJack_Journo: Tonight's @thetimes front page: Osborne's £7 wage ploy puts Labour on the spot http://t.co/eYhdDeHtjl
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited January 2014

If you have benefits at a high level, how else to encourage work? Serious question.

The answer to one bad policy cannot be another bad policy which follows from the first.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Osborne playing to Labour`s tune indicates he lacks the confidence and consistency in his own policies.Only last week,he was saying minimum wage rising above inflation would be costly to jobs.

Labour`s cost of living campaign has completely overshadowed the macroeconomy and Osborne has finally thrown in the towel.

There's a story you maybe interested in.

Britain allowed ex-SAS officers to train Sri Lankans as Tamil Tigers rebelled

British former soldiers assisted country's security forces soon after Golden Temple massacre in India, documents reveal

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/16/former-sas-officers-training-sri-lanka
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Curious timing for such an overtly party political play by the Tories. They must be concerned about some polling.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Impractical purism, m'lud.

Free labour markets went out of the window with the introduction of working tax credits.

Osborne's proposal to increase the minimum wage above the rate of inflation will roll back some of the distortions imposed by the tax system but it will take many years to eliminate its effect altogether.

You are advocating the freedom of hands when the feet are shackled.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Momentous call by Labour. Basically signalling with banking break-up that they'll need a new BoE governor. Carney opposes this stuff.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SMukesh said:

Again completely ignoring that this policy has been mooted in Tory circles for the better part of two years. No one is playing to Ed's tune. I've been bloody banging on about it on here for a few months and I'm certainly not playing to Ed's tune.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

There's a story you maybe interested in.

Britain allowed ex-SAS officers to train Sri Lankans as Tamil Tigers rebelled

British former soldiers assisted country's security forces soon after Golden Temple massacre in India, documents reveal

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/16/former-sas-officers-training-sri-lanka
    I wonder if you are confusing me with someone else.I do not support the partition of either India or Sri Lanka on the basis of ethnicity.
  • Options
    Well, Osborne has overshadowed Miliband's big-bank-branch sell off and neutralized the 50p rate issue, so he'll see that as a good afternoon's work. Miliband's team will be having emergency discussions this minute on how to counter Osborne's audacious raid on Labour territory. Of course, if they're sensible they won't take the line that some of the less bright Labour supporters have been taking: 'The Tories have stolen our clothes!' That would simply eradicate, at one stroke, everything Labour has been saying about this government from the outset.
  • Options

Yes, and this is in opposition when, presumably, he's trying not to frighten too many horses. What he'll come up with if he gets unfettered access to power is mind boggling. I'm genuinely frightened.
    I wouldn't be if I were you, for two reasons.

Firstly, no-one near the top in politics is really that stupid or crazy anymore. To reach the top you need a modicum of savvy and sense because fortunately our system has become quite adept at dealing with the real Loonies.

Secondly, individuals (even in the UK system and even the PM) don't have that much power in the country. Cabinet colleagues, rebel MPs, the press etc curtail power so no-one is actually able to do that much good or damage during their term of office.

Neither Ken nor Boris ruined London despite being pretty extreme examples of two opposing everything (as far as we do differ within the political mainstream). The UK will still be standing in 2020 no matter who is in charge.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

The UK will still be standing in 2020 no matter who is in charge.

Tell that to the French
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

Again completely ignoring that this policy has been mooted in Tory circles for the better part of two years. No one is playing to Ed's tune. I've been bloody banging on about it on here for a few months and I'm certainly not playing to Ed's tune.

Can I ask you on what basis you support the minimum wage above-inflation rise?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    isam said:

How utterly hypocritical.. the tories on here cheering it now are doing so just because they think its good for their polling. Partisanship trumping what they (pretended to?) believe in

They would also be wrong. If you triangulate on a policy of your opponents then not only do you have to be believed on it but if it does happen (a massive IF for those with an amusingly short memory of Osbrowne's many previous attempts to posture and triangulate) then unless there is a huge inbuilt advantage for one party making that policy pledge over another then there will be no 'credit' for it and it's usefulness as a political campaigning tool is at an end. Osbrowne is personally toxic and has the lowest credibility on the matter with those whom it would affect the most.

As the news at 10 stated in the second line announcing Osbrowne's supposed u-turn on this it's a policy already called for by the TUC, labour and the lib dems.

Nor is it primarily aimed at labour with the EU elections looming. This posturing is to discomfit Farage and appease those tory backbenchers who fear a truly disasterous result for them with the possibilty of droves of the lower paid and disaffected deserting them for UKIP at the EU elections.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Free labour markets went out of the window with the introduction of working tax credits.

Osborne's proposal to increase the minimum wage above the rate of inflation will roll back some of the distortions imposed by the tax system but it will take many years to eliminate its effect altogether.

Again, the answer must be to eliminate the distortions which have been introduced by tax credits.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Quincel said:

Firstly, no-one near the top in politics is really that stupid or crazy anymore. To reach the top you need a modicum of savvy and sense because fortunately our system has become quite adept at dealing with the real Loonies.

Errr have you forgotten Gordon Brown already?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Completely agree Avery.

Firstly, I am not so pure that I accept the effect of gross inequalities in market power with equinimity. The unrestrained immigration policies of the last government meant that the poor and poorly educated of this country face ferocious competition from those used to much lower standards of living on a mass scale. Good for employers and middle class consumers but disastrous for the vulnerable.

Secondly, in reality the low rates of pay are subsidised by the State, that is the rest of us, who are being taken for a ride by employers who frequently claim to make no profits in this country. If the alternative is mass unemployment this may be tolerable to a degree but there is no point at all in pretending that we like it.

Thirdly, good conservative principles of self reliance and self sufficiency are horribly undermined by a system where a significant percentage of the population is dependent not on what they earn but on state handouts. One can see why a seeker of supplicants such as Brown might have liked such a policy but it is not one that any conservative would wish for.

Trying to be nice about it I think it has to be recognised that WTC and CTC are one of the reasons that one of the worst recessions in history caused such a modest increase in unemployment. But it is not healthy. Not at all.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Jonathan said:

Curious timing for such an overtly party political play by the Tories. They must be concerned about some polling.

The Cost of Living Crisis - Resonating with many and easily remembered. It has been coming across their focus groups strongly.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited January 2014
    Quincel said:

Secondly, individuals (even in the UK system and even the PM) don't have that much power in the country. Cabinet colleagues, rebel MPs, the press etc curtail power so no-one is actually able to do that much good or damage during their term of office..

Hmm, those of us old enough to remember the pre 1979 days will remember perfectly well how politicians managed to wreck the country - and that was when cabinet colleagues had more influence on PMs than they do today. In any case, who would these cabinet colleagues be? Rachel Reeves, Andy Burnham, Tristram Hunt - it's not exactly a list which inspires confidence. Admittedly Ed Balls, Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander are serious figures who are sane enough, but they are all three being sidelined, and it wouldn't be a surprise if at least two of them were excluded altogether. Whether by design or not, Ed M is surrounding himself with lightweights, and he has a ruthless streak which, combined with his naivety, looks extremely dangerous.

Gordon Brown, let us not forget, had Peter Mandelson and Alistair Darling to restrain him. There is no Mandelson or Darling left at the top of Labour now.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

They would also be wrong. If you triangulate on a policy of your opponents then not only do you have to be believed on it but if it does happen (a massive IF for those with an amusingly short memory of Osbrowne's many previous attempts to posture and triangulate) then unless there is a huge inbuilt advantage for one party making that policy pledge over another then there will be no 'credit' for it and it's usefulness as a political campaigning tool is at an end. Osbrowne is personally toxic and has the lowest credibility on the matter with those whom it would affect the most.

As the news at 10 stated in the second line announcing Osbrowne's supposed u-turn on this it's a policy already called for by the TUC, labour and the lib dems.

Nor is it primarily aimed at labour with the EU elections looming. This posturing is to discomfit Farage and appease those tory backbenchers who fear a truly disasterous result for them with the possibilty of droves of the lower paid and disaffected deserting them for UKIP at the EU elections.
    Farage can simply say if it wasn't for open door EU immigration from poor countries driving wages down, there would be no need for a minimum wage
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MaxPB said:

I raised the issue a week or so ago and was told "Max has been going on about that for ages".

• Options
    MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

So has reducing the minimum wage (been mooted in Tory circles)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Quincel said:

I wouldn't be if I were you, for two reasons.

Secondly, individuals (even in the UK system and even the PM) don't have that much power in the country. Cabinet colleagues, rebel MPs, the press etc curtail power so no-one is actually able to do that much good or damage during their term of office.

Neither Ken nor Boris ruined London despite being pretty extreme examples of two opposing everything (as far as we do differ within the political mainstream). The UK will still be standing in 2020 no matter who is in charge.
    The question is not whether the UK will still be standing in 2020 but whether it will be continuing its progress of economic recovery at an internationally competitive rate. This is what is being delivered by the current coalition government and what is being put in jeopardy by Miliband.

Blair managed to reassure both the UK population and the markets in 1997 that the economy of the country would be safe in his hands. His task was made easier by inheriting a strong economy which had grown over the previous five years faster than under any previous post war government. Blair and Brown nevertheless delivered on this promise in their first 97-01 term.

This proves that Labour does not have to pose a threat to the economy. It all depends on their the responsibility of its party leader and policies. If Miliband wins in 2015 he will not have the luxury of Blair's 97 inheritance. The global economy will be much tougher and the UK's position in it fragile and uncertain. More political power now rests with international markets and if Miliband alienates his sources of investment, the consequences will be far more sudden and damaging than occurred in earlier generations.

Miliband is at least dangerous and verging on Richard Nabavi's assessment of "insane". This is no time for a complacent assessment of risk equivalency.
  • Options
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Farage can simply say if it wasn't for open door EU immigration from poor countries driving wages down, there would be no need for a minimum wage
    He can but with all the other parties calling for a rise in the minimum wage any theoretical proposition that involves saying 'there should be no need for that rise' will have very limited success in persuading those it actually affects. TBH I would be surprised if Farage didn't join in and call for a rise instead of the current UKIP tax proposals on it.
    Liam Beattie ‏@Liam_Beattie 3h

Very interesting that 66% of UKIP voters came out in favour to increase NMW too. It this #wooukip week by the Tories? http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/12/cross-party-support-raising-minimum-wage/
  • Options
    glw said:

Quincel said:

Errr have you forgotten Gordon Brown already?
    The country survived Gordon Brown with relative ease in truth. The pre-79 point however is a very fair one. We literally had rubbish piling up in the streets. I stand corrected from my assertion.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Again, the answer must be to eliminate the distortions which have been introduced by tax credits.
    Which at least Osborne's policy takes a baby step towards.

• Options
    Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 5h

Tories yesterday voted against Commons motion calling for Govt "to take action to restore the value of the National Minimum Wage"
    *chortle*

The incompetent tory spinners who were roused to spittle flying fury by little Ed's attempts at populist posturing on the cost of living crisis are going to have their work cut out for them on this. Not that it isn't enjoyable watching their blatant hypocrisy of course.

:)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Jonathan said:

No.It's all about inter-coalition politics. This is a Vince Cable matter and Osbo has nicked it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    PB Tories seem increasingly closed minded. They genuinely can't seem to handle the possibility of other points of view. And, as today, have at some point labelled opposition as insane, dangerous or something similar.

Ironically it is this attitude from which we have most to fear.
  • Options

No.It's all about inter-coalition politics. This is a Vince Cable matter and Osbo has nicked it.

A very good point. The level of the national minimum wage is a matter for the Secretary of State, not the Treasury.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706

Jonathan said:

And Vince is playing a very straight bat on Newsnight, welcoming Osborne's statement.....and then he gets asked about Rennard......
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Labour really ballsed up their attacks on Vince Cable and the minimum wage yesterday.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/vince-cable-nails-labours-crass-and-inaccurate-attacks-on-lib-dems-support-for-the-minimum-wage-37856.html
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    I think that last few You Gov polls are going to show the benefits of Mike's weekly average. Should cut out all the nonsense over 3 or 11 point leads.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Tories yesterday voted against Commons motion calling for Govt "to take action to restore the value of the National Minimum Wage"
    *chortle*

The incompetent tory spinners who were roused to spittle flying fury by little Ed's attempts at populist posturing on the cost of living crisis are going to have their work cut out for them on this. Not that it isn't enjoyable watching their blatant hypocrisy of course.

You have been munching on acorns tonight, Pork.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Jonathan said:

He is always stealing Vince's thunder.

But Vince for all his natural unease with the Tories has taken the punishment.

History will be kinder to Vince than George is being today.

But nothing compares to Hague's self effacement and personal generosity when it comes to allowing political credit for his work to be stolen.

The team for all its tensions is working, Mr. Smithson.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

He can but with all the other parties calling for a rise in the minimum wage any theoretical proposition that involves saying 'there should be no need for that rise' will have very limited success in persuading those it actually affects. TBH I would be surprised if Farage didn't join in and call for a rise instead of the current UKIP tax proposals on it.

Very interesting that 66% of UKIP voters came out in favour to increase NMW too. It this #wooukip week by the Tories? http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/01/12/cross-party-support-raising-minimum-wage/

You're probably right, but he should take the chance to blame it on he EU while he's at it!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Jonathan said:

Not really.
    You can be certain if Osbrowne didn't want to posture on this and make noises in favour of it he would have left it all to Vince. The reason he did it has nothing to do with the tories worried about lib dem voters in the coming EU elections (an amusing notion) and everything to do with trying to stop the haemorrhaging of disaffected voters to the kippers. If an effect of all this posturing is to rain all over Vince and Clegg's parade I somehow doubt Osbrowne will be overly upset, but that's obviously not the primary reason why he's doing it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706
    Lib Dems......House of Lords.....heart of stone.....etc....

Nick Clegg was warned he would face a rebellion by Liberal Democrat peers in the House of Lords if he tried to remove the whip from the party’s former chief executive Lord Rennard over allegations of sexual harassment against the peer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-faces-revolt-by-lib-dem-peers-if-he-removes-whip-from-lord-rennard-9065461.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A few years ago I stayed in what I thought was a fairly run-of-the-mill hotel in Paris called Hotel Le Six. Imagine my surprise when I just had a look on TripAdvisor and it turns out to be number 4 out of 1,793 hotels in the city:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187147-d777347-Reviews-Hotel_Le_Six-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

While you have the memory of a goldfish. Some of us do remember the inept spinning that little Ed and Balls would have no choice but to concede Osbrowne's narrative and that Osbrowne had "set the terms of debate" on the deficit, cuts and "there is no money left". Doesn't look that way now, does it?

LOL

Poor old Osbrowne. He can't even go a few days without some half-baked posturing and positioning that's supposed to put his opponents on the back-foot. Political positioning and posturing that just ends up sending conflicting signals and setting up ever more hostages to fortune. He is just as much an inept Brown clone as Cammie is a second rate Blair impersonator.
  • Options
    Were Labour or Tories the pigs to start off with?

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Nick Clegg should take that battle on. Would do his reputation the world of good.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

Were Labour or Tories the pigs to start off with?

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Ha,ha! Good old Orwell: No one can tell the difference between Lab/Lib/Con.
    Vote UKIP!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

In some respects this is surprising - increasing the NMW would - according to UKIP mentality - increase the attractiveness of the UK to immigrants from poorer countries.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AveryLP said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Is there pannage in your neck of the woods, Mick?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

Can I ask you on what basis you support the minimum wage above-inflation rise?
    It's a good policy. Supports people who don't get paid a lot. Forces businesses to spend some of the mountains of cash they have on their balance sheets. Low income people are much less likely to save than middle and higher income people so it supports demand for goods and services. Raises the tax yield. Massive boost to the work incentive, especially when coupled with a real terms cut in out of work benefits. Reduces benefits dependency for people in work as well since working tax credits can be cut.

All in all, it's a policy that makes sense. Then again, I support the minimum wage in general, unlike a lot of my centre-right friends.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

In some respects this is surprising - increasing the NMW would - according to UKIP mentality - increase the attractiveness of the UK to immigrants from poorer countries.

Can't help thinking that out of the EU with no minimum wage would be better for most poor people than in it with a higher minimum
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

While you have the memory of a goldfish. Some of us do remember the inept spinning that little Ed and Balls would have no choice but to concede Osbrowne's narrative and that Osbrowne had "set the terms of debate" on the deficit, cuts and "there is no money left". Doesn't look that way now, does it?

LOL

Poor old Osbrowne. He can't even go a few days without some half-baked posturing and positioning that's supposed to put his opponents on the back-foot. Political positioning and posturing that just ends up sending conflicting signals and setting up ever more hostages to fortune. He is just as much an inept Brown clone as Cammie is a second rate Blair impersonator.

Pork

There is no debate about the deficit or cuts. A year ago there was a last ditch attempt to call in aid IMF support for stimulus and deferred consolidation, but that argument has been conclusively won by the austerians.

That is why the two Eds are trying to move the battlefield to cost of living and consumerism. Even though the battlefields are smaller and peripheral, with the outcome of the battles less consequential, this decision in itself is not wrong.

But, if you want to win, you have to fight intelligently.

This means not proposing a "price freeze" on domestic energy supplies, allowing the government to do a quickstep on tax impositions and leading to the Secretary-General of the OECD accusing you of economic ignorance and ineptitude. A promised referral to the Monopolies Commission and a call for a reworking of taxes on energy supplies would have been cleverer opposition.

It also means not proposing a restructuring of the banking sector when anyone with knowledge of competition in banking would tell you that a less concentrated sector won't lead to lower pricing, more product competition and better customer service. As Mark Carney pointed out yesterday to the HoC Finance Committee.

The BBC article on Ed's banking proposals state Ed's claim that the creation of two new "challenger banks" will result in improvements in the price and quantity of lending to small businesses.

Let's start from basics shall we? A test question for the lefties and doubters:

What are the main drivers of the cost and volume of lending to SME sector?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Pork

There is no debate about the deficit or cuts. A year ago there was a last ditch attempt to call in aid IMF support for stimulus and deferred consolidation, but that argument has been conclusively won by the austerians.

That is why the two Eds are trying to move the battlefield to cost of living and consumerism. Even though the battlefields are smaller, peripheral and their outcome less consequential, this decision in itself is not wrong.

Wrong.

It is of no consequence if tories think that argument has or has not been won by Osbrowne on Plan A, B or whatever bizarre hybrid he's moved onto now. The reason labour are going hard on cost of living is because you would have to be an idiot not to know that the tories are going to go 24/7 on "don't let labour ruin it again" in 2015. Cost of living crisis will be their response and always would be since real voters don't give a flying f*** about economic stats.
    What matters is if they personally feel they are better off or not.
    AveryLP said:

But you have to fight intelligently.

This means not proposing a "price freeze" on domestic energy supplies

Again and again you simply don't realise who you are dealing with in Osbrowne and Cammie.
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
    It doesn't matter that you prefer the Cameroon solution at every turn. What matters is "will the voter believe it?" and "is it meaningless posturing?" Little Ed's price freeze pledge is still far from being believed by the voters. (not least because little Ed personally just isn't that persuasive as being "in touch" with the low paid) The voters however do want action on Energy prices which is the precise same reason Cammie and Osbrowne tried to posture on it as well.
    AveryLP said:

It also means not proposing a restructuring of the banking sector when anyone with knowledge of competition in banking would tell you that a less concentrated sector won't lead to lower pricing, more product competition and better customer service. As Mark Carney pointed out yesterday to the HoC Finance Committee.

Good luck with persuading voters that the banking sector is just fine since you don't seem to have learned a thing from the Energy price posturing. If you think the fop and Osbrowne want to be spending all their time defending bankers and bank structures then you are going to be in for quite a surprise come the next bank bonus row.
This discussion has been closed.