Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The top pollster from GE2019 has LAB lead in double figures – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

If Putin attacks Sweden I think Britain should launch a unilateral attack on the Bahamas AND Mongolia, just for the lolz. Also, we would win, as everyone else would be distracted

Well Boris needs a Falklands moment
    Who do you suggest we invade. I would caution that Russia and China would be a bad idea.

Argentina again?
    We would whip the Argies again. With just a dinghy

I went to Ushuaia, their main naval base for any Falklands type stuff, in 2019. The whole town is plastered with LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS! type stuff, with flags and banners and memorials to the wartime dead

Also, parts of their navy are there, basically a couple of rusting cruisers and half-sunk submarines.

It is a weirdly pathetic nation, Argentina (and I apologise to any Argentinian readers or commenters). The people are lovely and nice but so so many are puffed up with a mad patriotic pride they cannot possibly satisfy, meanwhile their country falls down around them, even tho they have the resources of a highly prosperous nation

The only impressive people are the wine makers, the cowboys, and the steak restaurateurs, everyone else stares dumbly at the wall, or falls over broken pavements. The women are are unusually hideous with weird heads. I saw one passably attractive woman in Buenos Aires in a week. ONE. In the capital city (which is bit of a toilet, not the "Paris of Latin America as is often promised")

The Iguazu Falls are great, however

The passably attractive women must have heard you were in town. And left.

But they don't go out until at least 1 am. Perhaps you were badly jet-lagged and missed them..?

Honestly, I tried, there aren't any

Stark contrast with Chile which has fabulously attractive women. Indeed the Atacama desert resort town of San Pedro has, I reckon, the highest level of female beauty per capita IN THE WORLD, and this is after an intense personal lifelong scientific study, comparable to Darwin's work on The Beagle

I think all the rich families in Chile send their lissom daughters on a gap year holiday to the Atacama. The effect is striking

Going back to Argentina, the calamitous mishandling of their economy is stunning

"Early in the twentieth century, Argentina had one of the ten highest per capita GDP levels globally. It was on par with Canada and Australia, and had surpassed both France and Italy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Argentina

Nothing has changed in terms of potential. Argentina is vast, with a smallish but quite literate population, with incredible resources, and a wide wide ocean to fish in. It has jungles and prairies and wheat fields and mountains.

Now?

It's 95th in the world, just behind Guyana, just ahead of Turkmenistan. This is not helped by the constantly collapsing currency, but still

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

They have had deep recessions every other year for decades. It is a kind of slow-motion Venezuela. Something is deeply wrong with Argentina
    It is a clear lesson in the dangers of caudilloism. Democracy is by far the best government type for long term economic success. Once you start introducing dictators you might get lucky with one or two, but before long you have an inept idiot in charge. Unlike democracy, it is far harder to remove him. Meaning you get decades of shitshow rather than 5 years.
    That is certainly true of Argentina in the Peron era and onwards. But Argentina has been "democratic" for quite a while now and that hasn't helped either. The country is still a catastrophe. Something ELSE is wrong. Something even deeper

Meanwhile autocracies like Singapore flourish, with hardly any democracy at all

So it really isn't as simple as you say
    Singapore is a city state.

City states tend to be richer.

How much is the (sorta) dictatorship, and how much being a city state?

Also, of course, Singapore has the rule of law. How many (sorta) dictatorships have the rule of law?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    Nadine Dorries wants a BBC that is a puppet of the government and this latest attack on it shows the arrogance within no10.

The Tories are now so disconnected from reality that they have ignored the demographic who most use it ,which happens to be the over 65s and their strongest voter block in terms of recent elections .

This could become a real election issue , 24 hours to save the BBC ! Going after the BBC could backfire spectacularly.
This discussion has been closed.