Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Flailing lying silly obtuse Johnson makes it worse – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    FPT:
    maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

So, SKS has called upon the PM to resign, the PM has declined. Surely the next step is a VONC?

Yep, force every Tory MP to sign up to this nonsense.
    A VoNC would be a good idea, though the technical nature of VoNCs is that the are about the government generally rather than the Prime Minister specifically, and with the repeal of the FTPA a VoNC that was successful would force a GE at a less than ideal time.
    This would allow Conservative MPs to support the government, whilst still not being happy about the PM.

Having said that, it's still good optics, and I would (as LOTO) have called one.
  • Options

Professor Peston has looked at the email through his magic mirror..

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    Just to return to the party-invite email, ahead of the PM’s first PMQs since it was leaked to @PaulBrandITV, it is marked “OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE-No10 only”. Which means it is classified information. But it could only have been sensitive if the party broke the rules. Surely

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1481197686330064896

God that guy is a total bellend isn't he.
    If you mean Peston I couldn't agree more. I met him once. He exudes complete and utter adoration for Robert Peston.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

"Out of 52,000 Omicron patients in California..... not a single person went on a ventilator"

https://twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/1481105044258922497?s=20

I posed a question on the previous thread whether it makes epidemiological sense to mass-vaccinate against this mild variant? (I'm not trying to be provocative – I don't know – I wondered whether experts such as @turbotubbs had a view)
    I'm no expert, but it will make sense for immune naive people and those who are more at risk. As we are seeing covid is still killing people, some of whom will be in the vaccinated but at risk category, and some are unvaccinated.

It won't hurt to suppress omicron either, in terms on other effects. We are not seeing omicron vs a naive population, we are seeing it in the UK where most have protection against serious illness through prior infection/vaccination (B and T cells etc etc).

Not seen the data for this, but presumably omicron is now dominant virtually everywhere. Another variant would need to out-compete or re-infect omicron recovered people, and that may again be at a cost in terms of severity (might not be).

If original covid had been omicron then decisions about lockdown vs shielding may have been interesting. We don't really know what omicron would have been like without trained immune systems.
    If original COVID has spread like Winne-the-Pooh then we would be looking at the aftermath - it would have been too quick for lockdowns to happen....
    Yes, the effect on spread due to the difference in R between Omicron and Classic Flavour Covid is so huge that it is hard to grasp. The graph of case growth would just have looked like a vertical line.

An R of 10 (which I think is the lower bound estimated) in a naive population basically makes a mockery of the notion of "doublings"
    I don't doubt any of that, but am still baffled how I have managed to avoid it, given I had a house full all Christmas (20 guests over ten days!) and visited double figures of busy pubs unmasked, then attended an absolutely belting NYE house party.

How is this even possible if (paging @FrancisUrquhart) man walks into a bar and 200 people catch it?
    There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for some people having natural immunity to COVID. Or at least vastly different susceptibility to catching it.
    Not surprising. I know someone who claims not to have had a cold in 10 years! Others get 5+ per year.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,899

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

"Out of 52,000 Omicron patients in California..... not a single person went on a ventilator"

I posed a question on the previous thread whether it makes epidemiological sense to mass-vaccinate against this mild variant? (I'm not trying to be provocative – I don't know – I wondered whether experts such as @turbotubbs had a view)
    I'm no expert, but it will make sense for immune naive people and those who are more at risk. As we are seeing covid is still killing people, some of whom will be in the vaccinated but at risk category, and some are unvaccinated.

It won't hurt to suppress omicron either, in terms on other effects. We are not seeing omicron vs a naive population, we are seeing it in the UK where most have protection against serious illness through prior infection/vaccination (B and T cells etc etc).

Not seen the data for this, but presumably omicron is now dominant virtually everywhere. Another variant would need to out-compete or re-infect omicron recovered people, and that may again be at a cost in terms of severity (might not be).

If original covid had been omicron then decisions about lockdown vs shielding may have been interesting. We don't really know what omicron would have been like without trained immune systems.
    If original COVID has spread like Winne-the-Pooh then we would be looking at the aftermath - it would have been too quick for lockdowns to happen....
    Yes, the effect on spread due to the difference in R between Omicron and Classic Flavour Covid is so huge that it is hard to grasp. The graph of case growth would just have looked like a vertical line.

An R of 10 (which I think is the lower bound estimated) in a naive population basically makes a mockery of the notion of "doublings"
    I don't doubt any of that, but am still baffled how I have managed to avoid it, given I had a house full all Christmas (20 guests over ten days!) and visited double figures of busy pubs unmasked, then attended an absolutely belting NYE house party.

How is this even possible if (paging @FrancisUrquhart) man walks into a bar and 200 people catch it?
    There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for some people having natural immunity to COVID. Or at least vastly different susceptibility to catching it.
    Right, that I didn't know. Would make sense.
  • Options

By the way, Have I missed much this afternoon? How is HYUFD coping the poor chap?

It's all a Cumming's Coup, apparently.
    That in itself excuses the PM for being an incompetent lying arse does it? Oh, OK!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,213

FPT:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

So, SKS has called upon the PM to resign, the PM has declined. Surely the next step is a VONC?

Yep, force every Tory MP to sign up to this nonsense.
    A VoNC would be a good idea, though the technical nature of VoNCs is that the are about the government generally rather than the Prime Minister specifically, and with the repeal of the FTPA a VoNC that was successful would force a GE at a less than ideal time.
    This would allow Conservative MPs to support the government, whilst still not being happy about the PM.

Having said that, it's still good optics, and I would (as LOTO) have called one.
    As I said above, trouble is that the unfinished inquiry gives all the Tories a get out of jail card. I judge they have to wait until after Grey reports.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Witnesses say the PM, the Saj, Zahawi and Nigel Adams were going table to table in the tearoom rallying stony-faced Tory MPs.

5 to ten mins per table trying to turn the mood.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1481272671107170307

Adds the question where was Truss given that she was sat next to Boris at PMQs.
    Saj I suppose doesn't want to be seen wielding the knife, ditto Truss. As for Zahawi, him batting for Johnson in recent weeks raises suspicions, as he's not really a contender is he? Never heard of the other bloke. Lickspittle or party raver?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

There seems to be something like that for many infectious diseases. In the Goode Olde Days of the Black Death, people were noted for having spent months working in plague hospitals etc without catching it.
  • Options

Leon said:

My God, I had never heard of the Nemi ships

"The Nemi ships were two ships, one larger than the other, built under the reign of the Roman emperor Caligula in the 1st century CE on Lake Nemi. Although the purpose of the ships is only speculated upon, the larger ship was an elaborate floating palace, which contained quantities of marble, mosaic floors, heating and plumbing and amenities such as baths. Both ships featured technology thought to have been developed historically much later. It has been stated that the emperor was influenced by the lavish lifestyles of the Hellenistic rulers of Syracuse and Ptolemaic Egypt. Recovered from the lake bed in 1929, the ships were destroyed by fire in 1944 during World War II."

"Piston pumps (ctesibica machina: Vitruvius X.4?7) supplied the two ships with hot and cold running water via lead pipes. The hot water supplied baths while the cold operated fountains and supplied drinking water. This plumbing technology was later lost and only re-discovered in the Middle Ages."

"Each ship contained a rotating statue platform. One platform was mounted on caged bronze balls and is the earliest example of the thrust ball bearing previously believed to have been first envisioned by Leonardo da Vinci but only developed much later."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_ships

*boggle eyed emoji*

Almost as remarkable as their existence is that there was enough left of them to raise in the 1930s and to be destroyed in WWII (by air attack I assume).

Were they mentioned in I, Claudius, or am I confusing them with the games held on an artificial lake with ships manned by gladiators?
    It is not completely clear how they were destroyed. There was an artillery exchange between the American and German troops in the area which the Germans blame for starting the fire (blaming US artillery). But a lot of Italians also say that the Germans set fire to them museum and boats on purpose as they retreated.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

Some people do seem to be immune, of course vaccination helps. You might just be one of those lucky people or you never realised you had it. A large percentage of people have always been asymptotic carriers.

I have a friend whose kids have had it twice, she is a teacher who has never stopped face to face tuition throughout the pandemic, basically every kid in her classes has had it, she tests every day, and nothing.
    It's a bizarre thing isn't it? But, you are perhaps right.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,846
    moonshine said:

As for Zahawi, him batting for Johnson in recent weeks raises suspicions, as he's not really a contender is he? Never heard of the other bloke. Lickspittle or party raver?

Died in the wool fanboi

During the Brexit campaign he hosted BoZo and the bus in his constituency, it was his shoulder Nadine cried on the first time BoZo ran away.

He is a true believer. Sadly.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

Not surprising. I know someone who claims not to have had a cold in 10 years! Others get 5+ per year.
    I haven't had a single cold for at least seven years, maybe more. I have always been very fastidious about washing my hands however.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,261
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

As for Zahawi, him batting for Johnson in recent weeks raises suspicions, as he's not really a contender is he? Never heard of the other bloke. Lickspittle or party raver?

Died in the wool fanboi

During the Brexit campaign he hosted BoZo and the bus in his constituency, it was his shoulder Nadine cried on the first time BoZo ran away.

Pretty effective vaccines minister, which is why I backed as a potential next PM/Con leader.

Be funny as hell if the Tories got a BAME leader before Labour did, although he'd be the wrong kind of brown to be BAME.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

Leon said:

"The Nemi ships were two ships, one larger than the other, built under the reign of the Roman emperor Caligula in the 1st century CE on Lake Nemi. Although the purpose of the ships is only speculated upon, the larger ship was an elaborate floating palace, which contained quantities of marble, mosaic floors, heating and plumbing and amenities such as baths. Both ships featured technology thought to have been developed historically much later. It has been stated that the emperor was influenced by the lavish lifestyles of the Hellenistic rulers of Syracuse and Ptolemaic Egypt. Recovered from the lake bed in 1929, the ships were destroyed by fire in 1944 during World War II."

"Piston pumps (ctesibica machina: Vitruvius X.4?7) supplied the two ships with hot and cold running water via lead pipes. The hot water supplied baths while the cold operated fountains and supplied drinking water. This plumbing technology was later lost and only re-discovered in the Middle Ages."

"Each ship contained a rotating statue platform. One platform was mounted on caged bronze balls and is the earliest example of the thrust ball bearing previously believed to have been first envisioned by Leonardo da Vinci but only developed much later."

*boggle eyed emoji*

Almost as remarkable as their existence is that there was enough left of them to raise in the 1930s and to be destroyed in WWII (by air attack I assume).

Were they mentioned in I, Claudius, or am I confusing them with the games held on an artificial lake with ships manned by gladiators?
    I think they were mentioned.

The deep freshwater preserved them. The Romans did have their limits - they sheathed the ships in lead as protection against fouling/wood worm. Which wasn't required in fresh water.
    But that also surprises me. Ships like the Mary Rose or Vasa raised from water need careful preservation because the timbers are so waterlogged. They're sprayed for years with a substance (?glycol?) to replace the water, eventually giving them enough strength to survive.

Did they have those techniques in the 1930s, were the ships just falling apart, or was it needed for some reason?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Died in the wool fanboi

Will be interesting to see what the new Cabinet looks like and how it goes about trying to reset things. Give him his due, Johnson reset the political clock quite brilliantly after the Tory administration was getting tired and headed for the pendulum swing. Will be a difficult trick to pull off twice.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897

Pulpstar said:

If you're fit and well, and have been previously exposed to Covid, there's a good chance the jab will give neutralising immunity whereas he'll get it again in 9 months time or so without vaccination. He's precisely the individual that vaccination will help stop the spread of the virus.
    Nobody seems to be doing a good job of nailing exactly this. Prior infection + vaccination studies show is the most effective level of protection.
    It's essentially a recursive argument, which is why I think it has difficulty being accepted. But the entire theory of herd immunity, and the antivaxxers favourite, 'natural immunity' are also basically recursive.
  • Options
    Do Britons think that there was a party held in Downing Street in May 2020, that Boris Johnson attended? They certainly do

All Brits
    There was- 88%
    There wasn’t- 4%

Con voters
    There was- 85%
    There wasn’t- 5%

Lab voters
    There was- 96%
    There wasn’t- 1%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2022/01/12/ccddd/1?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Daily_questions&utm_campaign=Question_1 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1481283086969376773/photo/1
  • Options

Pretty effective vaccines minister, which is why I backed as a potential next PM/Con leader.

Maybe

It looks more and more like what he did as vaccines minister was "not fuck it up"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Do Britons think that there was a party held in Downing Street in May 2020, that Boris Johnson attended? They certainly do

All Brits
    There was- 88%
    There wasn’t- 4%

Con voters
    There was- 85%
    There wasn’t- 5%

Lab voters
    There was- 96%
    There wasn’t- 1%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2022/01/12/ccddd/1?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Daily_questions&utm_campaign=Question_1 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1481283086969376773/photo/1

Gosh, that is impressive. I think there are about 3 people on her who really (want to) believe that it was not a party. They are part of a smaller percentage than those people who believe the moon landings were fake or that the earth is flat
  • Options
    Amazing. Boris has already been knocked off the top of the headlines by Randy Andy.
  • Options
    Joining @Peston & @AnushkaAsthana tonight is Education Secretary @nadhimzahawi MP

We’ll talk about ⬇️

🎉Yet another accusation of a No 10 party
    👨Confidence in the PM

💻 𝗟𝗜𝗩𝗘 𝟵𝗣𝗠 @itvpeston
    📺 𝟭𝟬𝟰𝟱 𝗣𝗠 @itv
    #Peston https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1481224203936403464/photo/1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

*boggle eyed emoji*

Quite envious, aren't you? Just think of blagging a travel reporter's cruise on one of those, complete with grapes peeled by hand in real time by your choice of servant.

Edit: and JJ and I would have been asking for the full tour from bilges to crow's nest.
    When we were about to get married on HMS Warrior, we asked a guide what would happen if we tried to climb the ship's rigging. His reply was: "Some nice armed men from the Dockyard will come and get you down."

We then asked if it had happened, and he said it had. Followed by "During on event, the nice armed men from the dockyard came over, chatted to one of the men on the deck, then told us not to worry; the men would come down from the rigging in their own time."

Apparently they were special forces, and the dockyards cops decided not to interfere with their fun...
  • Options

Professor Peston has looked at the email through his magic mirror..

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    Just to return to the party-invite email, ahead of the PM’s first PMQs since it was leaked to @PaulBrandITV, it is marked “OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE-No10 only”. Which means it is classified information. But it could only have been sensitive if the party broke the rules. Surely

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1481197686330064896

It would have taken Robert 2 minutes to look up the designation and confirm, oh, actually it's "OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE"
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380

Leon said:

More good news:

Yes, was wondering whether it would be better to target the vax rather than do it universally?
    Also not an expert, but this is how that kind of decision would normally be made:
    1. Medical benefit: do the average individual benefits of vaccination clearly outweigh the risks
    2. Cost effectiveness: what's the net health benefit compared to cost (and how does this compare to other things the money could be spent on)

For 1, it's probably a yes. Less obviously so if we were still using AZN given the clotting issues in younger people with low risk (although I don't think we know yet fully whether there's a clotting risk for people who already had one dose without problem). For vaccines we're using, likely a clear yes for the old/vulnerable, might be less clear for lower risk (from Covid groups)

For 2, less clearcut. Take a 20 year old and put a £20k value on a QALY (so £20k on a year of life at full quality). For a 20 year old who would otherwise die of Covid, the vaccination is worth say 60 QALYs so ~£1.2M. Say the extra vaccine dose costs £20, delivered (plucked out of the air, no idea how close). You can do 60k vaccinations for £1.2M, so you'd need a risk, without vaccination of 1 in 60k for death from Covid among 20 year olds to make it cost effective based purely on avoided deaths and saved life years. Don't have data to hand, but I suspect it's borderline for that. The qcovid calculator puts me (but age 20) at 1 in 500k risk of death so further vaccinating a 20 year old me doesn't look cost effective based on that (risk might be out of date). But, you then should add some more QALYs saved for people who don't die but get long Covid etc without vaccination and factor in the healthcare costs saved by vaccination from reduced hospitalisations (which reduces net cost of vaccination). Might get much closer to borderline.

There are other factors too, that normally don't come into cost effectiveness calcs (which are normally focused only on direct healthcare costs). Say vaccinating everyone will keep R below 1 due preventing infection and transmission at all. If you believed lockdown would be necessary otherwise then the effective benefit of vaccination goes far beyond healthcare costs and saved QALYs - you would be sensible to factor in the cost of lockdown on business etc versus the cost of vaccination.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581

Leon said:

*boggle eyed emoji*

The deep freshwater preserved them. The Romans did have their limits - they sheathed the ships in lead as protection against fouling/wood worm. Which wasn't required in fresh water.
    But that also surprises me. Ships like the Mary Rose or Vasa raised from water need careful preservation because the timbers are so waterlogged. They're sprayed for years with a substance (?glycol?) to replace the water, eventually giving them enough strength to survive.

Did they have those techniques in the 1930s, were the ships just falling apart, or was it needed for some reason?
    I beklieve the probvlem is as much the dimensional distortion when the water is removed by drying. The polyethylene glycol acts as a sort of solid water within the pores of the wood. Lots of hydrogen bonds etc.

There are a number of older ship finds - certain Viking ships, log canoes etc. which were made and collected before the PEG technique. Shellac might have been used - it was a common impregnating plastic then. But by 1929 it's possible that other plastics were avaiulable.

Other finds would have dried up and broken up so there is a survivor bias there, however.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257515714_The_Vasa_experience_with_polyethylene_glycol_A_conservator's_perspective
  • Options
    Guardian: First, his argument that this was just a work event is implausible. Johnson more or less conceded this himself in his statement, when he talked about how “even if [the event] could be said technically to fall within the guidance ...” – a formula that implies he knows it didn’t. Keir Starmer was ready for this, and his response (see 12.07pm) was faultless. (Chris Bryant’s reaction was excellent too).

Second, apologies only work if people think they are sincere, and many people – probably most people – will not view Johnson’s apology as genuine. He has many qualities (which his opponents, at their cost, overlook), but honesty is not one of them, and he cannot carry off apologising with much credibility. This showed during PMQs by the speed with which he reverted to more partisan defence mechanisms.

It could have been a lot worse. Conservative MPs might have attacked him in the open; they didn’t. But they did not defend him on partygate either, and it felt very much as if the parliamentary party jury is still out. MPs, particularly those with marginal seats to defend, are sensitive to the views of their voters and many will probably want to see whether public anger is growing, or dissipating, before they take their next steps.

If any Labour MPs were hoping for an implosion, that did not happen. But that does not make it a disappointing day for the opposition. Although Starmer is calling for Johnson’s resignation, strategically that is probably the last thing Labour wants. Starmer gains most from having a discredited and reviled PM continue in office, and today that is what he’s got.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

Died in the wool fanboi

As most here will know I am not exactly a fan of Johnson, but Zahawi is an impressive individual. He will go a long way.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I beklieve the probvlem is as much the dimensional distortion when the water is removed by drying. The polyethylene glycol acts as a sort of solid water within the pores of the wood. Lots of hydrogen bonds etc.

HMS victory has warped due to be supported in all the wrong places in dry dock.

There is a project underway to fit new supports that will mimic floating.

I am sure the cost is astronomical, with each support being precision machined to high tolerances, but I was pleased to note the position of each support on the hull is noted with sticky tape and marker pen.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Cracking last line 👏.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Joining @Peston & @AnushkaAsthana tonight is Education Secretary @nadhimzahawi MP

We’ll talk about ⬇️

🎉Yet another accusation of a No 10 party
    👨Confidence in the PM

💻 𝗟𝗜𝗩𝗘 𝟵𝗣𝗠 @itvpeston
    📺 𝟭𝟬𝟰𝟱 𝗣𝗠 @itv
    #Peston https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1481224203936403464/photo/1

There's no end to these accounts. Various BBC journalists are being briefed of multiple more pictures and videos to come, supposedly.

Are we going to be watching the 469th Cummings-planned video in March 2024, with the Tories on 10% ?
  • Options
    Cabinet circling the wagons (well, two of them anyway…) https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1481285443543044103
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,717
    Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

So amused that AC Grayling thought that Rosie Holt was a real MP when he watched this..

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt
    MP doesn’t know whether she attended Downing St Party
    https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/status/1480932023929823244

TBF it can be hard to tell the spoof from the real these days.
    It is hard to think of someone who has destroyed a reputation for intelligence more over the last decade. He was once seen as a heavyweight intellectual, but he has been driven mad by Brexit. He has got so blinkered in his state of perpetual anger, he can't even tell an obviously humorous spoof right before his eyes.
    Yes. I think A C Grayling has had an actual breakdown. Literally driven round the bend by Brexit

It is (genuinely) quite a distressing spectacle. We have a few sufferers - less severe, thankfully - on here. One day it must be medically studied. I am quite serious. I've never seen this mental phenomenon before, but it must surely have happened - great, unexpected and deeply unwanted events sending people loopy
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    I'm conducting a poll so I'd appreciate everyone's input

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1481278527785873418

Novax in front so far.
  • Options
    Giving up work events for Dry January...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    On topic and the worry on Boris in charge of Nuclear weapons, given the only verification we have that are the same bodies who thought Iraq had WMD, there's every chance we don't have any either.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142
    Scott_xP said:

Cabinet circling the wagons (well, two of them anyway…) https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1481285443543044103

"The full facts of what happened"?

LOL.

Johnson told us at noon that there was a party in his garden and he attended for 25 mins.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

More good news:

I think we can guess though. Let's look at what omicron is doing to the unvaccinated populations in the most vax-resistant States, such as Texas. Record numbers of children in hospital with COVID in Texas. Hospital occupation rates at highest yet.

My guess is that, while omicron might be inherently milder than delta and other antecedents, it is still a killer and it seems to be affecting kids more. Given its much higher transmissibility compared with Wuhan (R0 of perhaps 12 vs 2.6), I think had omicron been the first wave ripping through an entirely naive population, every hospital system in the world would have been overwhelmed.
  • Options
    Well now.

Referee Janny Sikazwe blew the final whistle early twice during the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations fixture between Tunisia and Mali — initially ending the game 11 seconds before the 90-minute mark.

The game ended after 89 minutes and 49 seconds. Tunisia's coaching staff protested after the game, questioning the referee's decision to end the game on the pitch. The game clock is not shown anywhere in the Limbe Stadium in Cameroon, not even on big screens.

A full 20 minutes after the full-time whistle, Mali coach Mohamed Magassouba's press conference was interrupted by Confederation of African Football officials, with the implication that the final few minutes could place. However, it is not yet clear if this will happen — no final decision has yet been taken.

The Zambian referee had already blown up in the 85th minute of the match, before then being exhorted to carry on.

In between, Sikazwe gave Malian midfielder El Bilal Toure a red card for an innocuous-looking challenge in the 87th minute. He was asked to review the challenge by the video assistant referee and checked the pitchside screen, before staying with his decision.

Two controversial penalties were also awarded for handball. Mali scored their spot-kick while Tunisia missed, with Mali holding a 1-0 lead when the final whistle was blown.

Sikazwe refereed the 2017 AFCON final between Cameroon and Egypt, the 2016 Club World Cup final, and two games at the 2018 World Cup.

In 2018, he was suspended by CAF following a CAF Champions League match.

https://theathletic.com/news/referee-blows-for-full-time-early-twice-during-tunisia-against-mali-at-afcon/YkZsov7VyCeM/
  • Options
    BREAK: Douglas Ross, leader of Scottish Conservatives, calling for Boris Johnson to go @SkyNews #PMQs #BorisJohnson
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

So amused that AC Grayling thought that Rosie Holt was a real MP when he watched this..

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

It is hard to think of someone who has destroyed a reputation for intelligence more over the last decade. He was once seen as a heavyweight intellectual, but he has been driven mad by Brexit. He has got so blinkered in his state of perpetual anger, he can't even tell an obviously humorous spoof right before his eyes.
    Yes. I think A C Grayling has had an actual breakdown. Literally driven round the bend by Brexit

It is (genuinely) quite a distressing spectacle. We have a few sufferers - less severe, thankfully - on here. One day it must be medically studied. I am quite serious. I've never seen this mental phenomenon before, but it must surely have happened - great, unexpected and deeply unwanted events sending people loopy
    Brexit seems to have affected you quite badly too. How are you feeling now? All that alien stuff? Can't be good subjecting oneself too all those conspiracy theories beloved of Brexiteers and anti-vaxxers. I am sure it will pass though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Novax in front so far.

Difficult choice.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

Johnson told us at noon that there was a party in his garden and he attended for 25 mins.
    Wasn't it a work event - definitely, definitely not a party.
  • Options

Leon said:

*boggle eyed emoji*

The fact that it was fresh rather than salt water would make a big difference. But it is still remarkable. The Vasa is actually a case study we were taught when I did Archaeological Conservation at Cardiff in the mid 80s. There were a lot of errors early on in the way it was conserved and they are still have significant issues today with iron salts and sulphides leaching out. Back in the 1920s and 30s when the Nemi ships were raised there were already some well known techniques for preserving waterlogged wood including bees wax impregnation, alum-glycerine impregnation and the surface treatment with tallowseed oil. The problem is that these techniques often caused warping as the preservatives could not get right into the centre of the wood and so there would be variable shrinkage. These days we use PEG (Poly-ethylene Glycol) at different concentrations
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BREAK: Douglas Ross, leader of Scottish Conservatives, calling for Boris Johnson to go @SkyNews #PMQs #BorisJohnson

That is a bit of a development.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,521
    Three comments from me on PMQs:

1. It's not credible that BJ thought it was a 'work event'.
    2. Starmer was good; Chris Bryant was brilliant.
    3. I think the "wait for the Sue Gray inquiry outcome" line was aimed much more at the Tory backbenches than at the opposition. BJ was playing for time, begging his troops to wait for the Gray report before getting rid, hoping that the report would have enough ambivalence to save him (and that the heat may have been diminished before the report is out).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

It was a work party.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

In our household we now accept that for some reason I am immune. There is no other explanation for my failure to contract the disease.
    Perhaps you had a coronavirus common cold sometime in the past that gave you cross immunity.

Also, disease is a stochastic process. There is an element of randomness as to whom within a population gets it, even with no immunity. Within a very large population set, there will be some people who do not contract it, even though you'd expect them to.
  • Options
    NEW 20% are favourable to @BorisJohnson - but most are not. Collapse in ratings. https://twitter.com/benatipsos/status/1481289522382000131/photo/1
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    49s
    here we go
    Quote Tweet
    James Matthews
    @jamesmatthewsky
    · 4m
  • Options
    This is a big deal, and doesn't stop being so just because Ross came close to saying this yesterday. One of the core tasks of Johnson's premiership is to save the union. Here's the leader of his Scottish party saying he should quit. A fundamental question of authority
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1481289622747496452
    https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1481288767168290822
  • Options

Mr. Leon, it may astound you as much (perhaps more) to know that the Colosseum was built using concrete (I think it was reinforced, but can't swear to it) as a primary building material.

The Romans didn't have reinforced concrete. For a start, iron/steel was far too expensive.

The Colosseum is mix - lots of rubble infill (with mortar) between walls. Quite a bit of concrete. Lots and lots of bricks...

EDIT: The Pantheon is the astounding one, for concrete. Complete with variable density concrete used to lighten the loads in the right places....
    The Pantheon is the single most impressive building I have ever encountered. Simultaneously beautiful, serene, harmonious, and ageless - and yet technologically advanced to an extraordinary degree. It could be built today and you'd still say Wow

Other contenders

Hagia Sophia
    Temple of Hatshepshut
    Houses of Parliament (also technologically hugely advanced in their tine)
    Eiffel Tower (ditto)
    Angkor
    The Burj al Khalifa
    The viaduct at Millau
    Gobekli Tepe (if it counts as a "building")
    Teotihuacan
    The Greek temples of Sicily, Segesta in particular

Interestingly, none in the USA, which is full of marvellous buildings, but their greatest invention - the skyscraper - has been successfully adopted elsewhere and there are now better examples outside the USA - eg the Burj

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Novax in front so far.

I'm going to need a lot of time to think about this one.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102

Alistair said:

Leon said:

More good news:

Its been there from the start. Recall the original cruise ships? Not everyone got ill. Similarly there have been studies on households - why didn't everyone catch it from an infected person they were locked down (in) with? You can argue that the original covid was a lot less trasnmissable, and that is certainly true compared to omicron. But its likely there are factors unique to each person, such as the history of prior infections that may give some protection. And remember that covid presents a spectrum of severity too - there have been genuinely asymptomatic carriers throughout.
  • Options

3. I think the "wait for the Sue Gray inquiry outcome" line was aimed much more at the Tory backbenches than at the opposition. BJ was playing for time, begging his troops to wait for the Gray report before getting rid, hoping that the report would have enough ambivalence to save him (and that the heat may have been diminished before the report is out).

I think the last part is what it is all about. The hope that everyone will be bored with it by the time she reports. Let's face it, if Johnson can be cleared of not breaking the ministerial code after his behaviour over the No10 refurb, he is hardly likely to get in any trouble over this sham report.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

Still, I can relate. Not to being a heavyweight intellectual Remainiac (since I'm not a Remainiac) but to how hard it can be to spot a spoof. Like, the other day I saw this bloke on the the telly - crazy blond wig, bizarrio voice & facial expressions, coming out with one lurid cartoonishly reactionary statement after another with barely a pause for breath. What a great send-up, I thought, making a mental note of the name, Fabricant, with a view to checking out some of his stuff on YouTube.
  • Options
    Chris said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

It was a work party.
    What were they doing - raising a barn?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    Scott_xP said:

Good. Respected within the party but without a realistic shot at the leadership himself. Independently minded but not one of the usual malcontents. A perfect start.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    49s
    here we go
    Quote Tweet
    James Matthews
    @jamesmatthewsky
    · 4m

Boris will save the Union by refusing indyref2, whatever Ross thinks
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,521

Oh, and by the way - Boris apologised because he got caught, not out of genuine remorse.
  • Options
    NEW Johnson's ratings now similar to Corbyn's in Autumn 2019... https://twitter.com/benatipsos/status/1481290656794431490/photo/1
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mr. Leon, it may astound you as much (perhaps more) to know that the Colosseum was built using concrete (I think it was reinforced, but can't swear to it) as a primary building material.

The Romans didn't have reinforced concrete. For a start, iron/steel was far too expensive.

The Colosseum is mix - lots of rubble infill (with mortar) between walls. Quite a bit of concrete. Lots and lots of bricks...

EDIT: The Pantheon is the astounding one, for concrete. Complete with variable density concrete used to lighten the loads in the right places....
    The Pantheon is the single most impressive building I have ever encountered. Simultaneously beautiful, serene, harmonious, and ageless - and yet technologically advanced to an extraordinary degree. It could be built today and you'd still say Wow

Other contenders

Hagia Sophia
    Temple of Hatshepshut
    Eiffel Tower (ditto)
    Angkor
    The Burj al Khalifa
    The viaduct at Millau
    Teotihuacan

Interestingly, none in the USA, which is full of marvellous buildings, but their greatest invention - the skyscraper - has been successfully adopted elsewhere and there are now better examples outside the USA - eg the Burj

Grand Central deserves some consideration. But my vote will always go to Hagia Sophia.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FYI, for those betting on 2024 Democrat nominees / next US President, might be worth reading rev Stacey Abrams:

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/589213-stacey-abramss-shocking-snub-of-biden-harris-signals-possible-2024

FWIW, I think that is more than possible. Even a loss next year in the gubernatorial election wouldn't damage her because she would claim GA's new voting laws cheated her of victory (for a second time - her words, not mine).

Mind you, I did like this pithy summing up from AOC's former head of comms who now heads up a PAC:

"“[Biden's] deeply unpopular. He’s old as shit. He’s largely been ineffective, unless we’re counting judges or whatever the hell inside-baseball scorecard we’re using. And I think he’ll probably get demolished in the midterms. People will smell opportunity, and D.C. is filled with people who want to be president.”"
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Oh, and by the way - Boris apologised because he got caught, not out of genuine remorse.

Boris apologised THAT he got caught
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    edited January 2022
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Good. Respected within the party but without a realistic shot at the leadership himself. Independently minded but not one of the usual malcontents. A perfect start.
    Not a MP [edit] after next election. Bit of a problem.
  • Options
    Home Sec Priti Patel returning the PM’s loyalty to her during the bullying row by going out to bat for him in a rare appearance on the Tory MPs’ WhatsApp group... https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1481291488130736131/photo/1
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    49s
    here we go
    Quote Tweet
    James Matthews
    @jamesmatthewsky
    · 4m

Yeah, that’ll do the trick. All 3 monkeys at the same time.
  • Options
    Another Tory MP told me that in the tearoom the PM told him and colleagues 'it's not his fault and he's bravely taking the blame for others' - 'caused much consternation among colleagues' given that he'd just given a public apology
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1481291566731911172
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,109
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    49s
    here we go
    Quote Tweet
    James Matthews
    @jamesmatthewsky
    · 4m

Well, an old refrain, but makes a change from the Durdle Door obsession
  • Options

Well now.

Referee Janny Sikazwe blew the final whistle early twice during the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations fixture between Tunisia and Mali — initially ending the game 11 seconds before the 90-minute mark.

The game ended after 89 minutes and 49 seconds. Tunisia's coaching staff protested after the game, questioning the referee's decision to end the game on the pitch. The game clock is not shown anywhere in the Limbe Stadium in Cameroon, not even on big screens.

A full 20 minutes after the full-time whistle, Mali coach Mohamed Magassouba's press conference was interrupted by Confederation of African Football officials, with the implication that the final few minutes could place. However, it is not yet clear if this will happen — no final decision has yet been taken.

The Zambian referee had already blown up in the 85th minute of the match, before then being exhorted to carry on.

In between, Sikazwe gave Malian midfielder El Bilal Toure a red card for an innocuous-looking challenge in the 87th minute. He was asked to review the challenge by the video assistant referee and checked the pitchside screen, before staying with his decision.

Two controversial penalties were also awarded for handball. Mali scored their spot-kick while Tunisia missed, with Mali holding a 1-0 lead when the final whistle was blown.

Sikazwe refereed the 2017 AFCON final between Cameroon and Egypt, the 2016 Club World Cup final, and two games at the 2018 World Cup.

In 2018, he was suspended by CAF following a CAF Champions League match.

https://theathletic.com/news/referee-blows-for-full-time-early-twice-during-tunisia-against-mali-at-afcon/YkZsov7VyCeM/

Is he by any chance eligible for next leader of the Tory party? Seems to have the appropriate regard for rules and fair play.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought he is still an MP?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

He is the MP for Moray
  • Options

Leon said:

Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

Brexit seems to have affected you quite badly too. How are you feeling now? All that alien stuff? Can't be good subjecting oneself too all those conspiracy theories beloved of Brexiteers and anti-vaxxers. I am sure it will pass though.
    lol

Did you see this?

"Scientists believed Covid leaked from Wuhan lab - but feared debate could hurt ‘international harmony’

"Emails to Dr Anthony Fauci show ‘likely’ explanation identified at start of coronavirus pandemic, but there were worries about saying so"

"Leading British and US scientists thought it was likely that Covid accidentally leaked from a laboratory but were concerned that further debate would harm science in China, emails show.

"An email from Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, on February 2 2020 said that “a likely explanation” was that Covid had rapidly evolved from a Sars-like virus inside human tissue in a low-security lab.

"The email, to Dr Anthony Fauci and Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, went on to say that such evolution may have “accidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/11/scientists-believed-covid-leaked-wuhan-lab-feared-debate-could/

It probably came from the lab, as I have been telling you for 18 months. This was also the opinion of many leading scientists right from the start, as I have been telling you for 18 months. it was probably engineered in the lab to be more transmissible, as I have been telling you for 18 months. But for various reasons there was a high level conspiracy to cover this up and crush an extremely plausible hypothesis: lab leak. As I have been telling you for 18 months.

Feel free to look a total fool as and when you feel up to it
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Novax in front so far.

Best excuses?

Novax 85%
    Boris 15%

Novax definitely miles better.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Home Sec Priti Patel returning the PM’s loyalty to her during the bullying row by going out to bat for him in a rare appearance on the Tory MPs’ WhatsApp group... https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1481291488130736131/photo/1

We must hang together or surely we must hang.
  • Options
    eek said:

one for HYUFD

Once the jokes get this easy Boris has a problem.

Rynair are tweeting Johnson piss takes. On their official company twitter by looks of things.

Laughing stock.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

lol

Did you see this?

"Scientists believed Covid leaked from Wuhan lab - but feared debate could hurt ‘international harmony’

"Emails to Dr Anthony Fauci show ‘likely’ explanation identified at start of coronavirus pandemic, but there were worries about saying so"

"Leading British and US scientists thought it was likely that Covid accidentally leaked from a laboratory but were concerned that further debate would harm science in China, emails show.

"An email from Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, on February 2 2020 said that “a likely explanation” was that Covid had rapidly evolved from a Sars-like virus inside human tissue in a low-security lab.

"The email, to Dr Anthony Fauci and Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, went on to say that such evolution may have “accidentally created a virus primed for rapid transmission between humans”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/11/scientists-believed-covid-leaked-wuhan-lab-feared-debate-could/

It probably came from the lab, as I have been telling you for 18 months. This was also the opinion of many leading scientists right from the start, as I have been telling you for 18 months. it was probably engineered in the lab to be more transmissible, as I have been telling you for 18 months. But for various reasons there was a high level conspiracy to cover this up and crush an extremely plausible hypothesis: lab leak. As I have been telling you for 18 months.

Feel free to look a total fool as and when you feel up to it
    All of us can be fools and be fooled sometimes. To be fair I think few believe the Wuhan thing is that outlandish, though you are a bit obsessed about it. Tell us more about your theory on aliens, that is far more interesting.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,799
    Like the Join the Conservatives page displaying today.

Sort of says - "own him"
  • Options
    Possible indication that the tighter restrictions in Scotland/Wales/NI did make a difference to Covid prevalence compared to England:

https://twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1481272051621113870
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Pulpstar said:

Novax in front so far.

Who do you dislike the least?

Would have been a more honest question.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Looks like Boris has found the real victim in this saga -

Laura Kuenssberg
    @bbclaurak
    ·
    6m
    Another Tory MP told me that in the tearoom the PM told him and colleagues 'it's not his fault and he's bravely taking the blame for others' - 'caused much consternation among colleagues' given that he'd just given a public apology
  • Options
    This thread has received its 54th letter.
  • Options
    eek said:

Chris said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

LOL.

It was a work party.
    What were they doing - raising a barn?
    Razing the conservative and unionist party.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Other contenders

Hagia Sophia
    Temple of Hatshepshut
    Eiffel Tower (ditto)
    Angkor
    The Burj al Khalifa
    The viaduct at Millau
    Teotihuacan

Grand Central deserves some consideration. But my vote will always go to Hagia Sophia.
    I forgot one definite contender: the Alhambra

Also maybe Durham Cathedral, its monumentality within and without is unmatched

If I had to choose an American contender it might be Taliesin West?

I've never seen Falling Water House but it looks marv and could make the list, but these are buildings I've personally visited

https://franklloydwright.org/taliesin-west/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,932
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Other contenders

Hagia Sophia
    Temple of Hatshepshut
    Eiffel Tower (ditto)
    Angkor
    The Burj al Khalifa
    The viaduct at Millau
    Teotihuacan

I don't know, there is something to be said for the Empire State Building.

You could argue that there are bigger, more impressive, newer bridges out there than Tower Bridge, but that does not change the little frisson of excitement every time you cross it, knowing you're part of history every time you do.

I got that feeling walking into the Empire State Building, I have not been to the Burj but I doubt I would feel the same.
  • Options

This thread has been sent home by Boris

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1481291566731911172

Brave Sir Boris taking the blame for others ...

When the history of the world is being summarised in a few centuries' time, this clown will be classed along with Incitatus. If he's lucky.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

Still, I can relate. Not to being a heavyweight intellectual Remainiac (since I'm not a Remainiac) but to how hard it can be to spot a spoof. Like, the other day I saw this bloke on the the telly - crazy blond wig, bizarrio voice & facial expressions, coming out with one lurid cartoonishly reactionary statement after another with barely a pause for breath. What a great send-up, I thought, making a mental note of the name, Fabricant, with a view to checking out some of his stuff on YouTube.
    Thanks. I needed that. I’ll stop chuckling in a minute.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102

Possible indication that the tighter restrictions in Scotland/Wales/NI did make a difference to Covid prevalence compared to England:

https://twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1481272051621113870

I'd like to see data with and without London to be sure.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    The betting is moving strongly towards him going. It's now 1.68 on a 2022 exit. I'd normally look to back into such a move in the opposite direction but I'm not sure I will this time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Other contenders

Hagia Sophia
    Temple of Hatshepshut
    Eiffel Tower (ditto)
    Angkor
    The Burj al Khalifa
    The viaduct at Millau
    Teotihuacan

The Pantheon is certainly an amazing building and in the top 10, for sure.

There are a number of medieval catherdrals that deserve to be in there too - the difficulty is picking which one(s) as there are so many superb examples. I'd plump for Salisbury - an austere, unified beauty.

Because the medieval cathedral builders (unlike the Romans) didn't have proper concrete, the gothic catherdrals are a brilliant balancing act.
  • Options
    After today's so called apology I really believe conservative mps must use the next couple of weeks to sort out their next leader choice and on publication of Sue Gray's report, Brady needs to tell Boris to resign gracefully or the vonc will happen immediately

Of course this is the last thing the opposition want, despite their demands today, as a new leader and PM would be expected to receive a honeymoon period and the relief Boris and Carrie have gone will be palpable

I am very pleased with Douglas Ross demands for Boris to resign this afternoon and the more conservative mps do the same the more likely Boris will bow to the inevitable

I would just say that Boris leaving no 10 is not going to be the moment the UK mood to rejoin the EU is resurrected, as none of the main parties are going to go down that road, but it could herald a new relationship with the EU to the benefit of both sides
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    49s
    here we go
    Quote Tweet
    James Matthews
    @jamesmatthewsky
    · 4m

Yeah, that’ll do the trick. All 3 monkeys at the same time.
    Boris is not going to be asked in the next month as he will be gone by then
  • Options

Leon said:

Aslan said:

kinabalu said:

Rosie Holt
    @RosieisaHolt

TBF he was king of the twats well before Brexit came along.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Of course this is the last thing the opposition want, despite their demands today ...

Boris must stay.
This discussion has been closed.