Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov CON members’ poll adds to the pressure on Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

OT Bob Saget has died.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59932429

I mention it to repeat my rant about BBC weekend and overnight interns blindly following US news channels and filling the front page with American domestic stories. Apologies to any PBers who have actually heard of him.

I think he was a theme once in an episode of a US comedy show (Friends?). One of the characters (Chandler?) being mistaken for him.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited January 2022
    The risk for Djokovic is surely that even if he does stay to play in the Australian Open he is likely to find it even harder to play anywhere else - because every other country is going to be properly prepared and get their ducks in a row to refuse him entry properly.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Manufacturers have warned that Brexit will add to soaring costs facing British industry, amid concerns that customs delays and red tape will rank among the biggest challenges for firms this year.

Make UK, the industry body representing 20,000 manufacturing firms of all sizes from across the country, said that while optimism among its members had grown, it was being undermined by the after-effects of the UK’s departure from the EU.

One year on from the end of the transition period, two-thirds of industrial company leaders in its survey of 228 firms said Brexit had moderately or significantly hampered their business. More than half of firms warned they were likely to suffer further damage this year from customs delays due to import checks and changes to product labelling.

According to the 2022 MakeUK/PwC senior executive survey, Brexit disruption remains among the biggest concerns facing industry bosses for the year ahead as Britain’s departure from the EU complicates the fallout from Covid-19 and the rising costs facing companies.

Delays at customs, the additional costs from meeting separate regulatory regimes in the UK and the EU, and reduced access to migrant workers were among top concerns raised in the survey.

Yebbut we got black passports!
    Blue passports. Made in Poland. By a French company. None of your British-made tat. Take back control.
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/22/new-brexit-blue-british-passports-actually-made-poland-12283240/
  • Options

BBC - If Novak Djokovic does win his appeal there’s no guarantee he'll get to play in the Australian Open. The immigration minister still has the right to cancel the visa again - though if that happened it could be an even worse look for the country than this fiasco has already become.

Rather bias of the BBC, who says it looks bad for the Australian government?

Lots of people have said it looks bad for the Australian government, and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt by Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister. A general election is due soon.
    Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

2. The political opponents of Scott Morrison in Oz

3. er...

4. That's it.
    No, I think what ever you think of Djokovic and vaccines the Aus Govt have screwed up big time. They’ve got themselves in a position where chucking him out may be the popular thing to do, but where doing so will create a bigproblem for them legally. At the end of the day, if he has complied with all legal requirements then (contrary to popular perception) he is not being let in on “special treatment for celebrity” grounds. But “being singled out” will be the reason for deportation. Which is clearly populist, and populist moves have a habit of coming back to bite those who make them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

Sounds very much like the judge will side with novax.

Correct. He has won the case, the visa is reinstated and he will be released immediately.
    Notwithstanding that, the immigration minister, Alex Hawke, can now personally intervene and decide to cancel his visa anyway on entirely new grounds. Which the government flagged in court may be something that happens.

If that happens, it could end up back in court because Djokovic would face being banned from Australia for three years if the minister decides to cancel the visa.
    Banning the world's top player for three years would be in danger of undermining Australian tennis and its grand slam tournament.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

Sounds very much like the judge will side with novax.

Correct. He has won the case, the visa is reinstated and he will be released immediately.
    Notwithstanding that, the immigration minister, Alex Hawke, can now personally intervene and decide to cancel his visa anyway on entirely new grounds. Which the government flagged in court may be something that happens.

If that happens, it could end up back in court because Djokovic would face being banned from Australia for three years if the minister decides to cancel the visa.
    Banning the world's top player for three years would be in danger of undermining Australian tennis and its grand slam tournament.
    And losing in court again.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

"In March 2020, internal documents leaked to The Intercept revealed that moderators had been instructed to suppress posts created by users deemed "too ugly, poor, or disabled" for the platform, and to censor political speech in livestreams, punishing those who harmed "national honor" or broadcast streams about "state organs such as police" with bans from the platform."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_on_TikTok

If Facebook is bad, then TikTok is malign.

I have never bothered with TikTok. Somebody once described it to me as "For people whose attention span is too small for YouTube Shorts". So surely that would mean that TikTok news coverage would be something like "Here is the news. Thank you for watching. More news in an hour" :D
    I've never really bothered with it either, beyond understanding what it is. I've always thought of it as being ok as entertainment but a poor medium to discuss anything remotely serious.

What stood out to me was Nadia Whittome (MP) saying in a newspaper interview that she doesn't watch films, she spends her evenings on tic tok. These are the people we elect to parliament.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

The risk for Djokovic is surely that even if he does stay to play in the Australian Open he is likely to find it even harder to play anywhere else - because every other country is going to be properly prepared and get their ducks in a row to refuse him entry properly.

If countries have entry criteria that unvaccinated individuals can comply with (and remember in very few countries is vaccination actually a legal reqt for their own population) then very few are going to change their entry requirements to exclude one individual.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    alex_ said:

BBC - If Novak Djokovic does win his appeal there’s no guarantee he'll get to play in the Australian Open. The immigration minister still has the right to cancel the visa again - though if that happened it could be an even worse look for the country than this fiasco has already become.

Lots of people have said it looks bad for the Australian government, and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt by Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister. A general election is due soon.
    Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.
    No, I think what ever you think of Djokovic and vaccines the Aus Govt have screwed up big time. They’ve got themselves in a position where chucking him out may be the popular thing to do, but where doing so will create a bigproblem for them legally. At the end of the day, if he has complied with all legal requirements then (contrary to popular perception) he is not being let in on “special treatment for celebrity” grounds. But “being singled out” will be the reason for deportation. Which is clearly populist, and populist moves have a habit of coming back to bite those who make them.
    From what I have gleaned from BBC news he is claiming a medical exemption on the grounds that he had a positive PCR test on 16th December. Apparently a recent infection is an alternative to the vaccines. If so, this is going to be a difficult trick to repeat. Is being unvaccinated really compatible with the itinerary of an international tennis star? I really don't think so.

And btw, anyone who gets his appeal/JR resolved in days including a ruling on an adjournment over a weekend is definitely receiving special treatment.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    darkage said:

"In March 2020, internal documents leaked to The Intercept revealed that moderators had been instructed to suppress posts created by users deemed "too ugly, poor, or disabled" for the platform, and to censor political speech in livestreams, punishing those who harmed "national honor" or broadcast streams about "state organs such as police" with bans from the platform."

I have never bothered with TikTok. Somebody once described it to me as "For people whose attention span is too small for YouTube Shorts". So surely that would mean that TikTok news coverage would be something like "Here is the news. Thank you for watching. More news in an hour" :D
    I've never really bothered with it either, beyond understanding what it is. I've always thought of it as being ok as entertainment but a poor medium to discuss anything remotely serious.

What stood out to me was Nadia Whittome (MP) saying in a newspaper interview that she doesn't watch films, she spends her evenings on tic tok. These are the people we elect to parliament.
    :open_mouth:

Has the calibre of our elected representatives ever been lower?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

OT Bob Saget has died.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59932429

I mention it to repeat my rant about BBC weekend and overnight interns blindly following US news channels and filling the front page with American domestic stories. Apologies to any PBers who have actually heard of him.

Maybe I’m the one PBer who has heard of him, a veteran comedy great. Very sad news, only 65 and a sudden death, he was on stage the night before.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Manufacturers have warned that Brexit will add to soaring costs facing British industry, amid concerns that customs delays and red tape will rank among the biggest challenges for firms this year.

Make UK, the industry body representing 20,000 manufacturing firms of all sizes from across the country, said that while optimism among its members had grown, it was being undermined by the after-effects of the UK’s departure from the EU.

One year on from the end of the transition period, two-thirds of industrial company leaders in its survey of 228 firms said Brexit had moderately or significantly hampered their business. More than half of firms warned they were likely to suffer further damage this year from customs delays due to import checks and changes to product labelling.

According to the 2022 MakeUK/PwC senior executive survey, Brexit disruption remains among the biggest concerns facing industry bosses for the year ahead as Britain’s departure from the EU complicates the fallout from Covid-19 and the rising costs facing companies.

Delays at customs, the additional costs from meeting separate regulatory regimes in the UK and the EU, and reduced access to migrant workers were among top concerns raised in the survey.

Blue passports. Made in Poland. By a French company. None of your British-made tat. Take back control.
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/22/new-brexit-blue-british-passports-actually-made-poland-12283240/
    I know they were meant to be blue, but they did not even get the colour right...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

There are a lot of sportspeople who haven't been vaccinated.
    Its not a slam dunk decision to just ban them from entering, because that will effectively put an end to the credibility of their major sporting tournaments, as many participants won't be able to enter.
    Places like the UK are unlikely to impose such restrictions (for as long as we have the current government, at least) so they will ultimately benefit, if countries go down this route.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mrs C, 'we'? I thought, apologies if wrong, you were seeing yourself as Irish now.

Dual citizenship Mr Dancer, but yes, Brexit has made me embrace my Irish roots. I will probably renew my British passport when it expires in a few year's time. I will see how Brexit's toxicity plays out - will it send the Leavers even madder or will it be seen as a colossal mistake?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.
    From what I have gleaned from BBC news he is claiming a medical exemption on the grounds that he had a positive PCR test on 16th December. Apparently a recent infection is an alternative to the vaccines. If so, this is going to be a difficult trick to repeat. Is being unvaccinated really compatible with the itinerary of an international tennis star? I really don't think so.

And btw, anyone who gets his appeal/JR resolved in days including a ruling on an adjournment over a weekend is definitely receiving special treatment.
    The reasons why courts may expedite judicial proceedings is a separate issue. Clearly it was done as much for the Aus Open as Djokovic.

As I understand it Tennis Australia asked the Aus Govt to pre-empt all this by checking Visas in advance of travel. The Federal Govt declined and said it was an issue for Victorian authorities on entry. The suspicion is that it was a manufactured crisis done for political reasons. Which now has great potential to backfire on them if they can’t rely on the courts to back them up.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

darkage said:

Is a question which has never been repeated decade after decade - you're sounding like a grumpy old feminist!
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Old bores look away now!

TikTok has just overtaken Facebook as the preferred news publisher

(Survey of the world’s top news organisations by Reuters Institute at Oxford University, via R5)

I do not want to come across as a Covid-sceptic but that sounds unlikely. Whose preference?
    “The world’s largest news organisations” according to the University of Oxford (report by BBC). Check with them.
  • Options
    darkage said:

MikeL said:

Its not a slam dunk decision to just ban them from entering, because that will effectively put an end to the credibility of their major sporting tournaments, as many participants won't be able to enter.
    Places like the UK are unlikely to impose such restrictions (for as long as we have the current government, at least) so they will ultimately benefit, if countries go down this route.
    Huge numbers of footballers, to take one example.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

There’s photos of him at public events, taken the day after he says he tested positive in December. The Australian authorities are of the mindset that they are being lied to.

They’ll go through the motions with his well-paid lawyers, then deport him anyway.

The options he had, were to either be vaccinated or take a fortnight’s quarantine, as hundreds of thousands of others have done in Australia during the pandemic.

It’s going to be pretty much impossible to live life as an unvaccinated touring sportsman, each country they visit will have their own rules about vaccines, testing and quarantine.

I wonder how much attention the F1 circus is paying to all these goings-on with the tennis players? They are supposed to be in Melbourne in April, after two years off, only on the condition that they won’t have to quarantine - presumably the same standards that are being applied to the tennis tournament.
  • Options

Old bores look away now!

TikTok has just overtaken Facebook as the preferred news publisher

(Survey of the world’s top news organisations by Reuters Institute at Oxford University, via R5)

I do not want to come across as a Covid-sceptic but that sounds unlikely. Whose preference?
    “The world’s largest news organisations” according to the University of Oxford (report by BBC). Check with them.
    Let's wait for TSE's verdict on the dreaming spires. It may surprise us, you never know.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

I wonder if they will next demand a test to verify that he has covid antibodies?
  • Options

darkage said:

I doubt it. Parliament isn't fairing particularly well in the social media era. You need to be continuously on top of social media and failure to perform well in this respect is effectively a a barrier to entry. Plus the salary is low. So politics will effectively become a career for second rate social media performers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    darkage said:

I quite like TikTok, and it is fun light entertainment, with lots of music, film and dance. Nothing remotely like news on my feed though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254
    DavidL said:

Its interesting that Labour, through Rachel Reeves, is actually putting forward a policy that may garner public support with the windfall levy and subsidy for business/domestic heating costs. I personally don't think her policy is a good one but it is a significant step towards being a real opposition putting forward an alternative. It rather highlights what has been missing for at least the last year. The government are looking slightly caught on the hop by having to deal with an opposition. They are not used to it.

Even Norman Lamont is supporting it.
  • Options
    felix said:

darkage said:

Is a question which has never been repeated decade after decade - you're sounding like a grumpy old feminist!
    Indeed! I wonder why :D:D
  • Options
    alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Italy has already said no unvaccinated foreign sportsmen are allowed in the country to compete. Several other European countries will probably take a similar approach in the coming months, which makes the European Cup and the Six Nations rather difficult for those without jabs.
  • Options
    Australian government looking like a bunch of total arseholes. Not for the first time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

I wonder if they will next demand a test to verify that he has covid antibodies?
    Possibly, there seem to be pictures of him wandering about unmasked when he supposedly had Covid. And the timing is remarkably convenient, to put it no higher.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

There’s photos of him at public events, taken the day after he says he tested positive in December. The Australian authorities are of the mindset that they are being lied to.

They’ll go through the motions with his well-paid lawyers, then deport him anyway.

The options he had, were to either be vaccinated or take a fortnight’s quarantine, as hundreds of thousands of others have done in Australia during the pandemic.

It’s going to be pretty much impossible to live life as an unvaccinated touring sportsman, each country they visit will have their own rules about vaccines, testing and quarantine.

I wonder how much attention the F1 circus is paying to all these goings-on with the tennis players? They are supposed to be in Melbourne in April, after two years off, only on the condition that they won’t have to quarantine - presumably the same standards that are being applied to the tennis tournament.
    Given the increasing evidence that vaccination does not do much to prevent infection or transmission, and Govts likely reluctance anyway to contually subsidise the cost of mass vaccination in the lng term, I suspect life for the unvaccinated to gradually become easier, not more difficult. The real motivation for Govts to encourage/mandate vaccination is to prevent pressure on their health systems - which isn’t really an issue for a few isolated cases of healthy young sports stars.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Its interesting that Labour, through Rachel Reeves, is actually putting forward a policy that may garner public support with the windfall levy and subsidy for business/domestic heating costs. I personally don't think her policy is a good one but it is a significant step towards being a real opposition putting forward an alternative. It rather highlights what has been missing for at least the last year. The government are looking slightly caught on the hop by having to deal with an opposition. They are not used to it.

I'm not sure that's the best of endorsements.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Not quite. He is supporting their call to boost the warm homes discount. That makes sense because it means that far more of your spend is directed at the lower income households, as opposed to a VAT cut which favours the wealthier households. I am sure that the government will move in that direction but whether that is enough to take the heat (sorry) out of this politically remains to be seen.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

A quick look at the Australian government website seems to show no exemption for the recently-recovered.

I am wondering if he is actually not allowed to enter Australia, but the judge has allowed him in as he was given a reasonable belief by Tennis Australia (is it a Government agency?) that he was, and procedural irregularities.

In any case, the way Corona is going through NSW, there's no reason to continue with the restrictions.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

Given the increasing evidence that vaccination does not do much to prevent infection or transmission, and Govts likely reluctance anyway to contually subsidise the cost of mass vaccination in the lng term, I suspect life for the unvaccinated to gradually become easier, not more difficult. The real motivation for Govts to encourage/mandate vaccination is to prevent pressure on their health systems - which isn’t really an issue for a few isolated cases of healthy young sports stars.
    It isn't just about that, though. It's about making life miserable for the unvaxxed so they get jabbed. Which is cheaper than finding them a hospital bed if they get seriously ill.
  • Options
    darkage said:

MikeL said:

On the contrary, if our cricket team had been banned from Oz it would have enhanced the credibility of test cricket quite considerably.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Login for first time in a while. Nonchalantly scroll about a bit around last night’s thread. See kjh has spent the whole weekend stewing about a humourous video I gave about 6 seconds thought to before posting on Friday and wants to CANCEL ME for it. Ooh Matron.

Hopefully the site administrators keep user IPs under lock and key or I might need a restraining order against this obsessive weirdo.

Anyway hope all else have a good week. Yesterday’s weather was a joy, the first of the bluebells have begun to sprout in these parts. Spring and the end of the pandemic is around the corner.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,966
    Mornin' all.
    I'm surprised, and TBH, rather saddened, at Djokovic's 'win'. Inclined to agree with Mr Lilburne, above, "he is actually not allowed to enter Australia, but the judge has allowed him in as he was given a reasonable belief by Tennis Australia that he was, and procedural irregularities.'
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    When people criticise the Australian government, it’s a good idea to pause and remember that this would not have happened in more authoritarian regimes around the word. The fact that a government can lose a court case is a good thing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

It isn't just about that, though. It's about making life miserable for the unvaxxed so they get jabbed. Which is cheaper than finding them a hospital bed if they get seriously ill.
    Same thing.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,966
    edited January 2022
    moonshine said:

Login for first time in a while. Nonchalantly scroll about a bit around last night’s thread. See kjh has spent the whole weekend stewing about a humourous video I gave about 6 seconds thought to before posting on Friday and wants to CANCEL ME for it. Ooh Matron.

Hopefully the site administrators keep user IPs under lock and key or I might need a restraining order against this obsessive weirdo.

Anyway hope all else have a good week. Yesterday’s weather was a joy, the first of the bluebells have begun to sprout in these parts. Spring and the end of the pandemic is around the corner.

Yes, a very promising day, weather-wise. This week apart from today and tomorrow look quite promising, too. Got a couple of trips out lined up, too, meeting friends/colleagues on social activities.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mrs C, glad you're renewing your British passport.

Mr. Sandpit, wouldn't be surprised if Australia, and other places, ended up cancelled.

Incidentally, not sure if it was you or someone elsewhere who suggested it, but I do wonder if Vietnam is now permanently off the agenda.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Italy has already said no unvaccinated foreign sportsmen are allowed in the country to compete. Several other European countries will probably take a similar approach in the coming months, which makes the European Cup and the Six Nations rather difficult for those without jabs.
    Well we’ll see how well that holds up once Champions League gets started. As we know, throughout Covid there have been different rules for elite sportspeople.

France is moving towards making their “vaxports” dependent on receiving a booster. Will it then move towards “booster if a booster” or will the move pretty quickly be in the other direction…?
  • Options

I hate to break it to you, but the next generation of voters are on it constantly. They never watch tv or read conventional news sites, nor use the older social media sites like FB.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,605
    Interesting research reported in The Economist on how Omicron is quite different from previous strains:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/07/the-case-for-updating-covid-19-vaccines-for-the-omicron-variant
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,317
    edited January 2022
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Well we’ll see how well that holds up once Champions League gets started. As we know, throughout Covid there have been different rules for elite sportspeople.

France is moving towards making their “vaxports” dependent on receiving a booster. Will it then move towards “booster if a booster” or will the move pretty quickly be in the other direction…?
    In the other direction, former vaccine task force boss Clive Dix has called for an end to mass vaccinations after this round of boosters. It might be more nuanced than that but it shows questions are starting to be asked.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1547278/Covid-news-cases-Clive-Dix-endemic-pandemic-booster-latest-updates-vn
  • Options
    darkage said:

She’s far from alone. An awful lot of people have totally abandoned old patterns of media usage, eg tv. Watching tv has become a sign that you are way out of the game.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, wouldn't be surprised if Australia, and other places, ended up cancelled.

Incidentally, not sure if it was you or someone elsewhere who suggested it, but I do wonder if Vietnam is now permanently off the agenda.

Vietnam was supposed to be a street circuit in Hanoi, but they haven’t built it yet. Maybe it will re-appear next year, but it isn’t on this year’s calendar.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I quite like TikTok, and it is fun light entertainment, with lots of music, film and dance. Nothing remotely like news on my feed though.
    BMA not got a feed? Brain op in 15 seconds.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

When people criticise the Australian government, it’s a good idea to pause and remember that this would not have happened in more authoritarian regimes around the word. The fact that a government can lose a court case is a good thing.

Very much so. Same when a jury perversely finds defendants not guilty. These are the hallmaks of a free society.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Austria currently has a 9 months since last prior vaccination rule
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Morgan in The Sun (abridged):

DEAR Boris,

You're a shambles. I don’t say that lightly.

You’re the Prime Minister of my great country and as such, I fervently want you NOT to be a shambles. But all the current evidence suggests that by the dictionary definition of that word — “In a state of total disorder” — you’re officially a shambles.

You’re a character, and God knows, we need more of those in a public life so currently neutered by the dreary, joy-sucking woke brigade. But running the country, in fact any country, requires you to not just BE a character but to HAVE character.

And this is where you’re failing so miserably.

Let’s be frank: You’ve destroyed much of that trust in just two disastrous years, and many of those people who broke the habit of a lifetime to vote Tory because they admired your “Let’s get Brexit done!” chutzpah are now so disillusioned, they’re telling pollsters they’ll never support you again.

And sorry Boris, but you’ve only got yourself to blame. Trust in you has been burned, not earned.

What’s wrecking your premiership is your aversion to honesty and accountability. And by your own personal refusal to play by the rules.

You’ve waltzed through life telling ­brazen whoppers to escape punishment whenever the manure’s hit the fan either professionally or personally, but you can’t do it now that you’re Prime Minister. And every time you try, you further harm your own reputation and that of your government, party, and country.

Stop being a shambles, Boris, and start getting more things done, or admit that being Prime Minister is simply too much for you and let someone else do it — before the party takes that decision for you.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

In the other direction, former vaccine task force boss Clive Dix has called for an end to mass vaccinations after this round of boosters. It might be more nuanced than that but it shows questions are starting to be asked.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1547278/Covid-news-cases-Clive-Dix-endemic-pandemic-booster-latest-updates-vn
    Same chap

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-free-coronavirus-by-august-outgoing-vaccine-task-force-chief-says-2021-05-07/

We certainly were not free of covid by august, and no it wasn't delta omicron coming along wot did it.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

DEAR Boris,

You’re the Prime Minister of my great country and as such, I fervently want you NOT to be a shambles. But all the current evidence suggests that by the dictionary definition of that word — “In a state of total disorder” — you’re officially a shambles.

You’re a character, and God knows, we need more of those in a public life so currently neutered by the dreary, joy-sucking woke brigade. But running the country, in fact any country, requires you to not just BE a character but to HAVE character.

Let’s be frank: You’ve destroyed much of that trust in just two disastrous years, and many of those people who broke the habit of a lifetime to vote Tory because they admired your “Let’s get Brexit done!” chutzpah are now so disillusioned, they’re telling pollsters they’ll never support you again.

And sorry Boris, but you’ve only got yourself to blame. Trust in you has been burned, not earned.

What’s wrecking your premiership is your aversion to honesty and accountability. And by your own personal refusal to play by the rules.

You’ve waltzed through life telling ­brazen whoppers to escape punishment whenever the manure’s hit the fan either professionally or personally, but you can’t do it now that you’re Prime Minister. And every time you try, you further harm your own reputation and that of your government, party, and country.

Stop being a shambles, Boris, and start getting more things done, or admit that being Prime Minister is simply too much for you and let someone else do it — before the party takes that decision for you.

Morgan looking to boost support for the PM?
  • Options

darkage said:

She’s far from alone. An awful lot of people have totally abandoned old patterns of media usage, eg tv. Watching tv has become a sign that you are way out of the game.
    I have not owned a TV for 3 or 4 years...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited January 2022

Australian government looking like a bunch of total arseholes. Not for the first time.

They aren't, Australian swing voters are with Morrison not the judge or Tennis Australia on this. Morrison has his eye on swing voters in an election year, the longer this stays in the headlines the better for him. Losing a few anti vaxxers who back Djokovic to One Nation on the primary vote is not much of a problem given the swing voters he could win back from Labor on the 2PP
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,490
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Same chap

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-free-coronavirus-by-august-outgoing-vaccine-task-force-chief-says-2021-05-07/

We certainly were not free of covid by august, and no it wasn't delta omicron coming along wot did it.
    Nonetheless, at some point he will be correct. The notion that we will require mass vaccination in perpetuity is unrealistic.

The annual flu vaccine model for older and at risk individuals is much more likely.
    Not least because governments will be hesitant to hand Pfizer several billion every year.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

Foxy said:

darkage said:

BMA not got a feed? Brain op in 15 seconds.
    Not a member of the BMA, that spineless bunch of government lackeys. A proper union for me!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

MikeL said:

Same chap

But it might have been delta ;)
  • Options

What a pity the England Ashes Test squad was not made up of anti-vaxxers

They have avoided a 5 0 whitewash
  • Options
    R4 reporting rumours in Oz that Novax has just been arrested
  • Options

I might renew it Mr Dancer. If the fragrant Ms Patel becomes PM I might not have the option to renew :D
  • Options

darkage said:

Like all these discussions I tend to thing these sorts of claims are a bit exaggerated. Often said by people who also complain about the power of the BBC, right wing press barons etc etc
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,490
    IanB2 said:

DEAR Boris,

Not exactly breaking news...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Telegraph saying the same, and quoting his father as having said he’s now in custody.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/09/novak-djokovic-latest-news-australian-open-verdict-covid-vaccine/
  • Options

Given the comments about Australia/Djokovic, I thought it might be useful to give you an update ahead of the federal election, which will likely be called for May, from a local perspective.

The current polling gives Labor a healthy 2PP lead of 55/45 over the coalition. More crucially opinions of Morrison have soured over the previous year, and the Labor Leader Albanese seems to provoke little reaction from the public, which is in contrast to the negative perceptions a lot of people had about the previous opposition leader. Labor are happy to keep the focus on Morrison's perceived problems with honesty and competency.

The big unknown is what will happen to the 'other' vote, and where will it flow on 2nd preferences. In 2019 what sunk Labor was a strong vote for smaller parties like One Nation and more significantly United Australia (a party founded by a Trump like figure named Clive Palmer). These votes flowed very strongly to the coalition on preferences, helping to sink Labor's chances in Queensland above all. In 2016 the preferences flowed much more evenly, and my guess is this is likely to be the case again.

Also in 2019 the coalition took 11 seats in Western Australia compared to Labors 5. Morrison and the coalition are deeply unpopular in WA (in the 2021 state election Labor took 53 seats compared to 2 for the Liberals and 4 for the nationals), so they can expect to lose seats there.

From a betting perspective, currently the coalition are 2.25 to 1.65 to Labor. Unless something dramatic happens soon Albanese looks on course to take Labor back to power after nearly a decade of coalition rule.

You forget Morrison still leads Albanese as preferred PM as he led Shorten as preferred PM in 2019 despite Labor leading polls on the 2PP then as they still do now
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That is a fallacious argument. We are not criticising the system which allows both the original decision and the court case to overturn it. We are criticising the ineptitude of a Government that can give someone documented permission to travel to their country and then can cancel that permission for what appear to be reasons of political expediency.

I would also ask how likely this outcome would have been if Djokovic had not been a world famous tennis star?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Impressive.

I feel sorry for Novak Djokovic.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Jonathan said:

That is a fallacious argument. We are not criticising the system which allows both the original decision and the court case to overturn it. We are criticising the ineptitude of a Government that can give someone documented permission to travel to their country and then can cancel that permission for what appear to be reasons of political expediency.

I would also ask how likely this outcome would have been if Djokovic had not been a world famous tennis star?
    The Victorian state government is Labor controlled and they were the ones who originally gave him permission
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I have never protested anything in my life, but I'd be sorely tempted to get myself chucked out of the crowd for making a racket when he's trying to serve and stuff if I was at the Oz open
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Telegraph saying the same, and quoting his father as having said he’s now in custody.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/09/novak-djokovic-latest-news-australian-open-verdict-covid-vaccine/
    Yes the Australian government will still deport him anyway it seems regardless. The Immigration Minister still has the power to cancel his visa
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Well the judges ban was only on deportation. If he's violated quarantine that's another matter......
  • Options
    It seems the Oz Gvt lost the case not on the substance but as a consequence of how Novax was treated - as often, such cases are lost on the way something was done rather than the fact of its doing.
  • Options
    One more observation on the Djokovic stuff.

The Australian system is a real mess. A colleague of mine from Perth in Western Australia (fully vaxxed) working offshore Norway on a rotation with all the correct visas for both countries left Oslo on 20th December to travel home. He was let into Sydney with no issue but then was refused permission to travel home to Perth in Western Australia until 14 days after he had arrived back in Australia. The weird thing is that he wasn't in quarantine. This was not a requirement from the Federal border police or Government, it was a Western Australia rule that forbid him entering the state until 14 days after he had arrived back but with no other controls. And this after 2 years of traveling to and from Norway under the same circumstances but without this last delay.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    felix said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Those "lots of people":

1. Novax

3. er...

4. That's it.

amusing to see the left in a dilemma - which is worse ? Privileged super rich tennis star v evil right-wing Conservative government? Whoyagonnapick?! :smiley:
    Business before pleasure so hating on fat fucking Scottie from Marketing first.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Can you think of another famous tennis star struggling elsewhere?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,325
    alex_ said:

darkage said:

Like all these discussions I tend to thing these sorts of claims are a bit exaggerated. Often said by people who also complain about the power of the BBC, right wing press barons etc etc
    I would say that being on TikTok is becoming where being on Facebook and Twitter was a few years ago. The age range on TikTok is growing older.

We can lament this. Or say that a politician has to know what is happening, just as they read the local papers in their constituency in the 19th Cent.

My children, as they've grown older, are watching more BBC. Solely on iPlayer - to them, the BBC is another streaming service. I will say it again - if the BBC had got the rights issue sorted out (it had the commercial power) and really gone for a world wide audience, imagine the revenue. The BBC would have become truly independent - it wouldn't have needed a license fee in the UK.

Just imagine that as a pitch - "The BBC - more resources than ever before. Totally independent. Totally free in the UK."
  • Options

The Australian system is a real mess. A colleague of mine from Perth in Western Australia (fully vaxxed) working offshore Norway on a rotation with all the correct visas for both countries left Oslo on 20th December to travel home. He was let into Sydney with no issue but then was refused permission to travel home to Perth in Western Australia until 14 days after he had arrived back in Australia. The weird thing is that he wasn't in quarantine. This was not a requirement from the Federal border police or Government, it was a Western Australia rule that forbid him entering the state until 14 days after he had arrived back but with no other controls. And this after 2 years of traveling to and from Norway under the same circumstances but without this last delay.

Doesn't WA have like 1 case whereas Vicky and NSW have rates similar to here ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The Victorian state government is Labor controlled and they were the ones who originally gave him permission
    The federal govt were asked to check the visas in advance and declined saying it was a matter for the Victorian Govt.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    IanB2 said:

It seems the Oz Gvt lost the case not on the substance but as a consequence of how Novax was treated - as often, such cases are lost on the way something was done rather than the fact of its doing.

Yes, to tell someone they'll discuss it in the morning after he's had a rest, and then cancel it overnight seems indefensible, regardless of the other merits of the case.

Richard T's question of what would have happened if he wasn't famous is interesting. My guess is that he'd have been rejected but we'd never have heard about it. There is a lot of pretty arbitrary decision-making on visas out there.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The federal govt were asked to check the visas in advance and declined saying it was a matter for the Victorian Govt.
    And the Victorian government clearly did not do so properly hence the Federal Government has had to intervene to cancel it
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The British company that bid on the passports put in a ludicrous bid, thinking that because they were British they would win. It was one of those government-contract-will-fill-the-pension-fund-hole-and-pay-c-suite-bonus bids.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

What a pity the England Ashes Test squad was not made up of anti-vaxxers

They have avoided a 5 0 whitewash
    You must be very proud
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Doesn't WA have like 1 case whereas Vicky and NSW have rates similar to here ?
    Ye just checked, WA has amongst the lowest covid rates in the world, and the rest of populated Oz is sky high
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

And the Victorian government clearly did not do so properly hence the Federal Government has had to intervene to cancel it
    As I understand it the Federal govt has powers to reject visas not available to states.
  • Options

alex_ said:

darkage said:

I would say that being on TikTok is becoming where being on Facebook and Twitter was a few years ago. The age range on TikTok is growing older.

We can lament this. Or say that a politician has to know what is happening, just as they read the local papers in their constituency in the 19th Cent.

My children, as they've grown older, are watching more BBC. Solely on iPlayer - to them, the BBC is another streaming service. I will say it again - if the BBC had got the rights issue sorted out (it had the commercial power) and really gone for a world wide audience, imagine the revenue. The BBC would have become truly independent - it wouldn't have needed a license fee in the UK.

Just imagine that as a pitch - "The BBC - more resources than ever before. Totally independent. Totally free in the UK."
    If the BBC had set up a $10/month subscription service, available worldwide and with most of the back catalogue included, they would have made more than enough money to abolish the licence fee in the UK, probably several times over. They’d be paying dividends to the government right now.

It’s probably not too late either, although they’ve missed the boat of first mover advantage to Netflix and Disney.
  • Options
    Interesting write-up in The Grocer on the Public Accounts Committee's report on the CAP-replacement Environmental Land Management program.

Summary? The scheme 'lacks detail and is based on “blind optimism”.' The plan will cut in half direct subsidy payments by 24/25 which the committee notes the risk that smaller and tenant farmers "who are operating on wafer-thin margins will go out of business"

' “We have known we were replacing the CAP since 2016 and still we see no clear plans, objectives or communications with those at the sharp end – farmers – in this multi-billion pound, radical overhaul of the way land is used and, more crucially, food is produced in this country,” said committee chair and veteran Tory MP Sir Geoffrey Clifton Brown.'

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/sourcing/commons-committee-slams-governments-post-cap-farming-plans/663319.article

What an absolute fiasco. As with the customs SNAFU the government are all talk and no action. Whilst the Welsh Nationalist from Essex always says "we have delivered farmers from CAP as they wanted" that wasn't supposed to be the end game. Leaving the EU is the first step - what you do afterwards is critical.

Simple point - we either make farms economically viable or we're back to being massively reliant on imported food. Which is the reverse of what Brexit proclaimed and is strategically stupid. That the government don't know what to do, and think "cut subsidies in half" will work is lunacy.

The Tories had farmers and fishermen as a client vote for a while. Who will they vote for in 2024? Won't be Tory if dogma and incompetence threaten their industry and way of life.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The British company that bid on the passports put in a ludicrous bid, thinking that because they were British they would win. It was one of those government-contract-will-fill-the-pension-fund-hole-and-pay-c-suite-bonus bids.
    Yep. De La Rue, who had been doing it for decades and thought they were the only serious bidder.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes, to tell someone they'll discuss it in the morning after he's had a rest, and then cancel it overnight seems indefensible, regardless of the other merits of the case.

Richard T's question of what would have happened if he wasn't famous is interesting. My guess is that he'd have been rejected but we'd never have heard about it. There is a lot of pretty arbitrary decision-making on visas out there.
    We’ll yes and no. It appears that there were a couple of other players who got let in without issues, who only got deported as a result of all visas being reviewed in the light of the publicity surrounding Djokovic.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

As I understand it the Federal govt has powers to reject visas not available to states.
    Which the Federal Immigration Minister is about to now use to deport Djokovic
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

If the BBC had set up a $10/month subscription service, available worldwide and with most of the back catalogue included, they would have made more than enough money to abolish the licence fee in the UK, probably several times over. They’d be paying dividends to the government right now.

It’s probably not too late either, although they’ve missed the boat of first mover advantage to Netflix and Disney.
    The BBC doesn’t own the global rights to most of its big shows, it’s one of the ways it’s forced to save money.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

The BBC doesn’t own the global rights to most of its big shows, it’s one of the ways it’s forced to save money.
    The other way was to buy the global rights and *use* them. Instead of following the modern management mantra of outsourcing "non-core business"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    HYUFD said:

They aren't, Australian swing voters are with Morrison not the judge or Tennis Australia on this. Morrison has his eye on swing voters in an election year, the longer this stays in the headlines the better for him. Losing a few anti vaxxers who back Djokovic to One Nation on the primary vote is not much of a problem given the swing voters he could win back from Labor on the 2PP
    Is this another of the times you applaud in this case a government opposing the court system and effectively overturning a court judgement because it is electorally popular?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

Oh indeed. They have contracted out so much production, and often left said production company with the global rights. Another example of short-sightedness over the past decade or two, when they should have realised the value of such rights.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,605
    Significant police presence at the office of Djokovic's lawyers on Collins St, Melbourne. White vans heading into underground car park. Reports that Australian federal police heading in to arrest him. Immigration minister has four hours in which to re-cancel his visa.

https://twitter.com/oliverbrown_tel/status/1480453991062405121?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Which the Federal Immigration Minister is about to now use to deport Djokovic
    So what your comment about “the Vic govt didn’t do it properly” all about?

The point was that the Federal Govt could have made it clear when asked originally that Djokovic wouldn’t be allowed in. Instead they initially washed their hands of it (deliberately?), thereby manufacturing a media storm, only to then take the popular(/populist?) decision to overrule Vic Govt/courts for political brownie points in an election year and chuck Djok out. When it could have been all easily quietly averted weeks ago.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

darkage said:

That's pretty appalling about TikTok. But I've not had a TV for years - I'd rather watch movies when it's convenient than when they happen to be broadcast, so Netflix works for me. I recently spent a few nights in the guest room of someone who was recently widowed and scared to be alone, and they had Sky with 100 or so channels. Apart from the BBC channels they seemed amazingly similar (and for my taste amazingly crap) - wall to wall game shows, comedies and sub-Bond action movies.

I used to think that when we had 100 channels there would be a sort of PR, with maybe 50% as above and the rest addressing a range of different audiences. But apparently nearly everyone's going for the Mail/Sun market.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280

Interesting write-up in The Grocer on the Public Accounts Committee's report on the CAP-replacement Environmental Land Management program.

Summary? The scheme 'lacks detail and is based on “blind optimism”.' The plan will cut in half direct subsidy payments by 24/25 which the committee notes the risk that smaller and tenant farmers "who are operating on wafer-thin margins will go out of business"

' “We have known we were replacing the CAP since 2016 and still we see no clear plans, objectives or communications with those at the sharp end – farmers – in this multi-billion pound, radical overhaul of the way land is used and, more crucially, food is produced in this country,” said committee chair and veteran Tory MP Sir Geoffrey Clifton Brown.'

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/sourcing/commons-committee-slams-governments-post-cap-farming-plans/663319.article

What an absolute fiasco. As with the customs SNAFU the government are all talk and no action. Whilst the Welsh Nationalist from Essex always says "we have delivered farmers from CAP as they wanted" that wasn't supposed to be the end game. Leaving the EU is the first step - what you do afterwards is critical.

Simple point - we either make farms economically viable or we're back to being massively reliant on imported food. Which is the reverse of what Brexit proclaimed and is strategically stupid. That the government don't know what to do, and think "cut subsidies in half" will work is lunacy.

The Tories had farmers and fishermen as a client vote for a while. Who will they vote for in 2024? Won't be Tory if dogma and incompetence threaten their industry and way of life.

It's up to the consumers, finally. If they want to pay more for UK-produced agricultural goods (if domestic produce turns out to be more expensive) then everyone is happy. If not, then the consumers will be happy but not some farmers.

Speaking to my man on the combine over the weekend he seems to think that the Australian deal is a red herring because over the course of its 10-year term growig demand from China will mean that nothing produced in Australia will ever leave Asia. As for the environmental scheme he believes that the benefits will accrue to large landowners which may present a problem for the government politically.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

The other way was to buy the global rights and *use* them. Instead of following the modern management mantra of outsourcing "non-core business"
    They don’t have the cash and never had. The BBC funded it’s U.K. content at a discount by providing incentives for production houses to then sell shows abroad. To have gone global would have taken massive investment at a time the government was pulling money out of the BBC. It could have been done, but under pressure from private media outlets the government wanted a smaller BBC. Did you know much of IPlayer content is available under the same time shifting rules that once enabled people to use VHS players? It’s done on a shoestring.
This discussion has been closed.