Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The new boundaries make Cooper’s seat much safer – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    At least 46 ‘VIP lane’ £££ PPE deals were awarded to politically connected companies before formal due diligence was in place - not what we were told last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/06/at-least-46-vip-lane-ppe-deals-awarded-before-formal-due-diligence-in-place
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

I suspect the UK will come under pressure to do the same.

The White House has announced a diplomatic boycott of the Chinese Winter Olympics: "The Biden administration will not send any diplomatic or official representation to the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics given the PRC's ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang"

https://twitter.com/DavidCharter/status/1467922583832211464

Excellent news.

It was the three wankers, Cameron, Clegg & Osborne, who ushered in "a golden era" with China.

Three people who everything they touched turned to shit.

King Midas' mentally defective brothers.
    Don’t forget the 4th member of the mighty quad that has spent the years since working for Beijing
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Foreign travel is going to be a PITA or a pipe dream for a while yet.

Why do you say that? Has something been announced?
    The tone (and some of the new changes for red list countries) announced by Javid.

Full disclosure, I have a few health conditions (which is why I was double jabbed in March) and I live in the fear I get trapped overseas when a new variant hits.

I'm someone who loves my foreign travels.
    The tone has been absurd. Has gone in other direction though - at least in that Switzerland has backtracked on its knee-jerk quarantine insistence on arrival for ten days. Now no quarantine.

I think countries are waking up to the fact that Omicron is going to take over and it is futile to think it won't - and this could be a good thing if it is less deadly.

I'm off to France in a few days: a LFT before, a LFT prior to return plus a PCR on return is not too much hassle really.
    What odds are we putting on boris banning household mixing in homes for Christmas? Asking for a concerned grandmother!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    moonshine said:

The White House has announced a diplomatic boycott of the Chinese Winter Olympics: "The Biden administration will not send any diplomatic or official representation to the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics given the PRC's ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang"

Excellent news.

It was the three wankers, Cameron, Clegg & Osborne, who ushered in "a golden era" with China.

Don’t forget the 4th member of the mighty quad that has spent the years since working for Beijing
    Ah yes, ... , Sir Danny.
  • Options
    Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta and Attorney General Merrick Garland announce voting right lawsuit against Texas, which argues the state’s redistricting plans unlawfully dilute the voting power of Black and Latino voters in violation of the Voting Rights Act.

Vanita Gupta says Texas forced this through with a rushed process, and the maps will not allow Black and Latino voters an equal opportunity to elect a representative of their choice.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1467927244190400523
  • Options

Excellent news.

What utter nonsense on all fronts. Specifically on China, you do realise that Xi Jinping only became General Secretary in November 2012, I imagine? The China that the excellent Cameron-Osborne government wanted to have good relations with was very different from the China of 2021.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta and Attorney General Merrick Garland announce voting right lawsuit against Texas, which argues the state’s redistricting plans unlawfully dilute the voting power of Black and Latino voters in violation of the Voting Rights Act.

Vanita Gupta says Texas forced this through with a rushed process, and the maps will not allow Black and Latino voters an equal opportunity to elect a representative of their choice.

America is a total mess
  • Options

America is a total mess
    Time for Her Majesty to appoint a Viceroy.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The tone (and some of the new changes for red list countries) announced by Javid.

Full disclosure, I have a few health conditions (which is why I was double jabbed in March) and I live in the fear I get trapped overseas when a new variant hits.

The tone has been absurd. Has gone in other direction though - at least in that Switzerland has backtracked on its knee-jerk quarantine insistence on arrival for ten days. Now no quarantine.

I think countries are waking up to the fact that Omicron is going to take over and it is futile to think it won't - and this could be a good thing if it is less deadly.

I'm off to France in a few days: a LFT before, a LFT prior to return plus a PCR on return is not too much hassle really.
    What odds are we putting on boris banning household mixing in homes for Christmas? Asking for a concerned grandmother!
    Alternatively, if the optimists are correct and the new strain is a good thing to get, will the NHS be providing neat Omicron shots?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,193

Sean_F said:

This story makes me feel sick: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59549060

A man has been convicted for repeatedly stabbing and trying to murder his partner. This wasn't the first woman he's attacked, he'd previously stabbed a previous partner and her child too.

He's been jailed for 13 years. So could be out within a decade to stab a third woman again. Maybe third strike he'll kill someone.

How many times must a man be released back onto the streets to stab another woman before they get locked up for life? The woman he attacked is lucky to be alive but has been left with life altering injuries, how many more women is this man going to attack before he gets a life sentence?

Attempted murder should be treated as murder and as described this should be a life sentence for me.

And yet, its by no means the worst. There are cases, like the murders of Sarah Everard, Lynda Spence, or Barry Wallace that are so chilling.
    I agree that there's others that are more chilling, but and I realise I may sound like @Cyclefree saying this . . . there has to be a point where a man attacks women and is told 'enough is enough'.

How can someone stab a woman and her child, could have potentially killed them both, be convicted and sentenced to jail . . . then after being released stab another woman and potentially have killed her? And then to make it worse the Court sentences him to a jail sentence that will almost certainly be less than a decade.

How is that right? And in ten years time when he stabs another woman and this time she dies, what polite words are going to be said about how this shouldn't have happened?
    Yes. If that happens TWICE then the second time should be life meaning life. Three decades, until he is so old and harmless he can’t do anything

Do they need any more proof that he is an evil murderous c*nt? Perhaps if this charmer came round and stabbed the judges or their children they might feel less lenient
  • Options

America is a total mess
    Time to bring this back out: http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/independence.htm
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

90 new cases of the Omicron variant have been identified in the last 24-hour period taking the UK case total to 336 - a 37% day-on-day rise

For more on this and other news visit http://news.sky.com

Omicron looks to be the variant we want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--S1tzXH3g
    Just when you think people can't get any crazier, they form a fan club for a new variant of a deadly virus that escapes immunity and spreads at record speed.

Is there anything too stupid for people to believe?
    Isn't this how epidemics come to an end?
    No, epidemics are not generally brought to an end by a virus mutating to escape immunity and becoming far more transmissible.
    Some of the experts disagree. They say if it's more transmissible and very mild it could end the epidemic.
    Well then they'd be daft. A virus cannot know it wants to escape immunity.
    That’s not the point. We’ve seen how the more transmissible delta became the dominant strain. If omicron is more transmissible again, it will supplant delta. If, and I really hope it is, it’s a milder version then everyone catch he’s the mild disease and notches up their levels of immunity. Generally we get repeated exposures to pathogens and our immune system remembers them, so the effects get less each time. Mutations can threaten that, but the latent parts of the immune system are less easily bypassed than the front line antibodies.
  • Options

Excellent news.

What utter nonsense on all fronts. Specifically on China, you do realise that Xi Jinping only became General Secretary in November 2012, I imagine? The China that the excellent Cameron-Osborne government wanted to have good relations with was very different from the China of 2021.
    The purge of Bo Xilai began in 2012. Certainly by 2013 / early 2014 it was very clear what regime was in place. By the time of Xi Jinping’s trip to the UK in Oct 2015, polite society in Asia was aghast and widely mocking the UK for “prostrating itself” in front of Xi.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,193
    TimS said:

eek said:

Yep - I'm now planning for next year to be trips to Wales and Cornwall and a lot of weekends away.
    I had one trip to France planned for next summer, but I'm already resigned to that not happening now.
    Got a weekend to Bruges booked for late Jan, because I'm a stupid optimist (but free cancellation).

I’m off to stay with my new billionaire friend in Ibiza at the weekend. My feeling now is Fuck it
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Excellent news.

You mean Beaker, aka The Ginger Rodent?

Been suckling at the Authoritarian teet has he? Typical ”liberal”.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

daerht weN

• Options

moonshine said:

Excellent news.

You mean Beaker, aka The Ginger Rodent?

Been suckling at the Authoritarian teet has he? Typical ”liberal”.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/danny-alexander-2075972

If he’s not working for MI6 then this appointment is dodgier than anything Geoff Cox has been up to, since Danny personally lobbied for the AIIB’s creation apparently against the wishes of the Obama administration.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Very long odds, I think. Would you comply anyway?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

America is a total mess
    Sounds like you're throwing your hat in the ring, TSE. I'd just like to point out that I already am in place (albeit currently basking in the tropical sunshine of Camborne).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,123
    Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

90 new cases of the Omicron variant have been identified in the last 24-hour period taking the UK case total to 336 - a 37% day-on-day rise

For more on this and other news visit http://news.sky.com

Omicron looks to be the variant we want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--S1tzXH3g
    Just when you think people can't get any crazier, they form a fan club for a new variant of a deadly virus that escapes immunity and spreads at record speed.

Is there anything too stupid for people to believe?
    Isn't this how epidemics come to an end?
    No, epidemics are not generally brought to an end by a virus mutating to escape immunity and becoming far more transmissible.
    Some of the experts disagree. They say if it's more transmissible and very mild it could end the epidemic.
    But we don't know whether it's any milder than Delta at all, let alone "very mild"!

From an article in New Scientist two hours ago:
    "The big unknown is whether omicron is more or less likely to cause severe disease and deaths. Aris Katzourakis at the University of Oxford says he very much doubts the variant’s mutations will result in decreased severity, but that it is too early to tell.
    “We are all worried,” says Katzourakis. “We are waiting with bated breath.”"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2300375-omicron-looks-set-to-cause-a-huge-wave-of-covid-19-around-the-world/

But we already have very strong indications that it's much more transmissible and capable of escaping immunity. It's unbelievable to me that, after everything that's happened, people still can't understand how dangerous the exponential growth of a disease can be. Even if it were only half as severe as Delta - and we still have no clear evidence to suggest it's less severe at all - that advantage would be wiped out in less than a week if it spreads here like it's spreading in South Africa. And then it will carry on doubling.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,988
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Yep - I'm now planning for next year to be trips to Wales and Cornwall and a lot of weekends away.
    I had one trip to France planned for next summer, but I'm already resigned to that not happening now.
    In fairness, lots of PBers said that about this year, and still say it now. I have recently returned from a fantastic trip to Majorca, and it was absolutely fine.
    I'd quite like to travel - lots of friends in Switzerland, Austria and the US, double-vaccinated and boosted. But several friends who have moan about endless hassle - extortionate prices for tests, changing rules, officials not aware of changing rules, etc. Maybe they've just been unlucky?
    My biggest fear is that I'll have to quarantine for a fortnight in a Premier Inn on my way back.
    I'd love to spend a fortnight in a Premier Inn. The beds are really comfy. And so many breakfast buffets...
    I went to a Sandhurst reunion one year (not as bad as it sounds) and stayed at the Premier Inn opposite. And very nice it was too - comfortable bed, hot water, powerful shower, excellent breakfast (talking of breakfasts as we were earlier). What's not to like.
    The Breakfast C
    Foxy said:
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Indeed. Japan has also reversed its travel ban, and Fauci said yesterday the US is hoping to reverse its soon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Other than Leicester desperately seeking a very spurious reason for someone to pay attention to it, how is this even newsworthy? Presumably there are single cases of Omicron in most/all cities now, given there are several hundred UK wide.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Excellent news.

erm didnt cameron and osborne go into coalition in 2010 then win a majority in 2015 not resigning till 2016....so xi very much in place for 4 out of their 6 years
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

eek said:

Got a weekend to Bruges booked for late Jan, because I'm a stupid optimist (but free cancellation).

I’m off to stay with my new billionaire friend in Ibiza at the weekend. My feeling now is Fuck it
    Good for you. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Dear @Philip_Thompson: when it comes to male scumbags attacking and killing women, embrace your inner @Cyclefree. You know it makes sense!
This discussion has been closed.