Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s party Number 10 style – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

dixiedean said:

R5L still on about "young people" and "peer pressure" regarding drugs.
    They've been endemic since the late eighties, and the young tend to abuse them less.
    They'll be rife in care homes in ten years.
    The media swallows this unthinkingly.

Should I be proud of the fact that I've never drunk alcohol or taken drugs?

Or is it the result of me being a good Muslim?
    You have never eaten chocolate, drunk tea or coffee or taken headache pills?

What an extraordinary life you must have led.
    I've drunk maybe half a cup of tea when I was 5 and didn't like it. Tried one cup of coffee when I was 19, same result.
    How incredibly dull.
    No wonder you compensate with “colourful” clothing.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

dixiedean said:

They've been endemic since the late eighties, and the young tend to abuse them less.

I've drunk maybe half a cup of tea when I was 5 and didn't like it. Tried one cup of coffee when I was 19, same result.
    Okay, so your OP was a falsehood.

Assume you have never had a can of coke or taken headache pills?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.
    My clothing isn't that colourful.

I do have many other vices. I think I racked up 36 speeding points in five years.

The proudest of all, I've been named co-respondent in two divorce proceedings.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Okay, so your OP was a falsehood.

Assume you have never had a can of coke or taken headache pills?
    Diabetic, so I avoid coke.

Headache pills are a no no, my father is/was a doctor, he didn't think they were a good idea
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.
    Hence the shoes, I presume?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.
    Shoes are very important, they tell a lot about a man.

The reality is that I have very wide feet, finding the right footwear for myself is a pain.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.

I do have many other vices. I think I racked up 36 speeding points in five years.

Was that before 'no fault' divorces were allowed?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.

The reality is that I have very wide feet, finding the right footwear for myself is a pain.
    I was making a very oblique reference.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectator_shoe
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

This is the pitch for the first test at The Gabba.

We could be on for a two day test.

Nah - often looks green there, but bats well after the first session. Don't make the Hussain mistake...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.

Was that before 'no fault' divorces were allowed?
    Yah, going back 15 years or so.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,884
    Labour's North Shropshire team says the party's returns suggest the Tory vote share ⬇️ to 40% from 2019's 62% GE result

Lab says its vote share ⬆️ to 33% from 22% (similar pattern to Bexley), LDs ⬆️ 1% to 11% and Reform (new) ⬆️ 7%

Tories still ahead of everyone in the race.

These stats come with a big health warning as they're from one party, but that Labour and LDs have both been getting bullish in recent days suggests the race on the ground could be tightening.

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1467837415616299017
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

I assume the FLSOJ gave up the personal trainer a while back.

This is the sort of thing Putin would do, like one of his strongman videos about catching fish.
    Please no topless horseriding pics.
    There's no horse with a backbone strong enough
    18 stone of pure muscle
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    This is a very old thread now, just sayin.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Labour's North Shropshire team says the party's returns suggest the Tory vote share ⬇️ to 40% from 2019's 62% GE result

Lab says its vote share ⬆️ to 33% from 22% (similar pattern to Bexley), LDs ⬆️ 1% to 11% and Reform (new) ⬆️ 7%

Tories still ahead of everyone in the race.

These stats come with a big health warning as they're from one party, but that Labour and LDs have both been getting bullish in recent days suggests the race on the ground could be tightening.

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1467837415616299017

Not good news for the progressives, if Labour are now attempting to beat the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    That worked out well.....

On this day in 1994, Ukraine, Russia, the US and the UK have signed Budapest Memorandum, as Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal (third-largest in the world), and Russia, the US and the UK guaranteed Ukraine its sovereignty and security, promised never to act hostile vs Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1467471283310972932?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

My daughter passed driving theory test this morning - which is a blessed relief as it was her sixth attempt.

It is a nightmare test and one wonders whether it has been set deliberately hard for financial reasons. It is so damaging to the self-esteem of so many youngsters.

And - my word - some of the questions they ask! What percentage of all emissions does road transport account for? Anyone know?

I failed my driving theory test first time around by 1 question. I got part way through the Highway Code, thought this is stupid and obvious, and tried to 'wing it' at the Test without bothering. One question different and I'd have gotten away with that.

But there were no questions on emissions, they were all driving related. That seems like a ludicrous question to ask.
    Well you are an intelligent bloke and after a once-over of the syllabus winging it will get you there or thereabouts.

But if you are 17 and of no higher than average intelligence the theory test is a formidable challenge - it's an additional load of study on top the A Level study that he/she is already committed to.

The test has two components: theory test and hazard perception test.

The theory component has a pass mark of 43 out of 50 (86%).

The hazard perception test is 14 video clips where the candidate has to click to identify developing hazards. It is very tricky and somewhat arbitrary.

My daughter failed the theory part four times. Twice within 1 mark! On the fifth time she aced it at 94% but failed the test overall because she narrowly failed the hazard perception test (despite passing it on her four previous attempts). You have to pass BOTH components at the SAME TIME to pass the overall test.

It's a nightmare and every time she failed we would pick her up in tears with yet another dent in her self-esteem.

The pass mark is too high; and how on earth, say, a recent immigrant with perhaps imperfect English or anyone of low IQ would pass this test I simply don't know. They have turned a practical into a cerebral test. It is of course privatised and costs £23 a pop. And you cannot even apply for the proper driving test until you have passed the theory.
    I just took a practice theory test. Scored a narrow pass.
    No question about emissions in there.
    There is a question bank of, I think, 900 questions. The 50 questions that come up on the day are computer generated, randomly.

Below is the emissions question. this was just an example i gave there are other obscure questions as well.

https://theorytest.org.uk/what-percentage-of-all-emissions-does-road-transport-account-for/

There is no human judgement in play. get 43/50 and you pass. Get 42/50 ten times and you fail. Pass theory but fail hazard perception - still fail.
    Ridiculous question. That has nothing to do with safety.

I got 42/50 first time around when I hadn't bothered to read the Highway Code before the Test. There was no hazard perception then (21 years ago).
    It's driven by incrementalism - various groups in officialdom have their own pet things they want to put in the test. So they get added.

Until significant numbers of people can't pass, it will get harder and harder.
    In California, they recently got rid of the reversing part of the driving test, as it was causing too many people to fail.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477

dixiedean said:

How incredibly dull.

We know who you are.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Good morning. Still 3 000+ homes without power up here. And Storm Barra due tomorrow.
    Scotland all back on I believe.

The compare and contrast between England and Scotland has been stark. In Scotland the network provider has been providing very regular updates to people, has paid for hot food every day and provided feeding stations in the centre of affected towns / villages. In England I know several people who have had nothing and were told by the network operator to stop asking them for the updates they weren't getting.
    Yep. Had a friend off 5 days. In a town of more than 13k population. No mobile signal. No information whatsoever.
    Luckily he had an open fire. It's not been much above freezing and is now nine days in.
    Scandalous really.
    Um. Sympathy yes, and not wanting to deprecate, but what's wrong with a Plain Ordinary Telephone on the landline, or asking a neighbour in a town of 13k, or ordering/going to buy a throwaway phone on a network that is still running?

The longest powercut I ever had was back in the 1990s when it was between 2 and 3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Good morning. Still 3 000+ homes without power up here. And Storm Barra due tomorrow.

The compare and contrast between England and Scotland has been stark. In Scotland the network provider has been providing very regular updates to people, has paid for hot food every day and provided feeding stations in the centre of affected towns / villages. In England I know several people who have had nothing and were told by the network operator to stop asking them for the updates they weren't getting.
    Yep. Had a friend off 5 days. In a town of more than 13k population. No mobile signal. No information whatsoever.
    Luckily he had an open fire. It's not been much above freezing and is now nine days in.
    Scandalous really.
    Um. Sympathy yes, and not wanting to deprecate, but what's wrong with a Plain Ordinary Telephone on the landline, or asking a neighbour in a town of 13k, or ordering/going to buy a throwaway phone on a network that is still running?

The longest powercut I ever had was back in the 1990s when it was between 2 and 3 weeks.
    POTS is being removed and the network moved to IP (by Dec 2025) so you won't be able to ring on a landline if the power goes off after that date (at the latest).

You'll need a mobile or a battery backup to make phone calls in a power outage.
  • Options

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scandalous really.

POTS is being removed and the network moved to IP (by Dec 2025) so you won't be able to ring on a landline if the power goes off after that date (at the latest).

Interesting to know.

POTS being removed is a real sea change - been there for what now, nearly a century?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scandalous really.

Interesting to know.

POTS being removed is a real sea change - been there for what now, nearly a century?
    1870s for the copper network - although I think the current iteration of PSTN has been around since the 1980s.

It will indeed be a big change. You can see there being problems when the router firmware crashes and someone can't make an emergency call.

I know most people have mobiles these days but we still aren't at 100% signal coverage.
This discussion has been closed.