Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s not forget how appalling Corbyn’s GE2019 ratings were – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

There's a boring 'in the middle' truth here. The Con GE19 landslide WAS due to Corbyn's weakness as a candidate. But it was also due to Johnson's strength. It was, truly, the Brexit election and it was Brexit that cemented the negative/positive view of the 2 leaders. For Johnson, hellbent on pushing Brexit through, his breezy 'can-do' persona was burnished. For Corbyn, dithering and triangulating, his previous rep as a man of principle was destroyed. So, that 80 seat result, it was Corbyn, and it was Johnson, but above all it was BREXIT.

Yes

And remember that brilliant Xmas Election ad with Boris at the door

https://youtu.be/nj-YK3JJCIU

The best British political ad I've ever seen. Powerful and persuasive, and it relies almost entirely on Boris' charm and charisma. Of recent prime ministers only Blair at his peak could equal that. Imagine Major or Cameron or May trying it on. Cringe

Farooq made a brilliant analogy on the prior thread. Campaigning is like conceiving, Governing is like parenting. Boris is now surrounded by the tedious nappies of political reality (and real nappies, as well). He needs to learn to be a decent Dad, super quick
    That was effective but the killer (imo) was him driving a truck through the fake wall in that factory. The wall was the Brexit impasse and he just damn well drove through it and knocked it over, boom, it's gone. For the Brexit election, with most of the country sick and tired of the wrangling, it was perfect. Worth a million words. And it played to his big bear physicality, also it ... oh ffs I can't go on, all true, this stuff, but I just can't be typing any more of it out, it both bugs and bores me at the same time. BoJo gave us Brexit, yes, but a deeper truth is that Brexit gave us BoJo and we're stuck with him until we aren't.
    How much of that campaign really brilliance of Boris or spin doctors utilising him effectively with their own brilliant ideas?

And another element in winning elections, making promises people like and reassures them. Surely the simple answer as polls go against you is you didn’t deliver your promises.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    Labour are finally working out attack strategies

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips
    Mrs Thatcher told my Gran to buy her council house. She said it would mean she had something to leave her family. Boris Johnson says to all those who bought their modest 2 bed houses that he's going to take it all away, while people like him get to keep so much
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

There's a boring 'in the middle' truth here. The Con GE19 landslide WAS due to Corbyn's weakness as a candidate. But it was also due to Johnson's strength. It was, truly, the Brexit election and it was Brexit that cemented the negative/positive view of the 2 leaders. For Johnson, hellbent on pushing Brexit through, his breezy 'can-do' persona was burnished. For Corbyn, dithering and triangulating, his previous rep as a man of principle was destroyed. So, that 80 seat result, it was Corbyn, and it was Johnson, but above all it was BREXIT.

It was above all CORBYN.

I loathe Boris. I loathe Brexit. But I loathe Corbyn about a million million million times more.

And I imagine as I think so does perhaps a majority-winning number of reasonably centrist types around the country.

It was above all CORBYN.
    You are absolutely right Topping. 🤙

Un prime ministerial Boris versus Un prime ministerial terrorist sympathiser.

I voted libdem.
    Hmm. This has just popped up on the Graun feed.

'A Conservative councillor has agreed to pay “substantial” damages and legal costs to Jeremy Corbyn for a tweet containing a fake photograph of the former Labour leader at the scene of the Liverpool terrorist attack.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Paul Nickerson, a councillor on East Riding of Yorkshire council, has apologised and taken “full responsibility” for the doctored tweet, which showed Corbyn laying a poppy wreath at the burning taxi outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital, and was captioned with the word “unsurprisingly”, PA Media reports.'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/nov/23/social-care-costs-jeremy-hunt-boris-johnson-sajid-javid-covid-uk-politics-live-latest-updates
    https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463130394019209222

Edit: some odd wording in the photographed statement in that tweet as to the circumstances of the original tweet-at-issue's posting.
    Hmm indeed. It's a reasonably good photoshop (bit of searching brings up the image) but pretty obviously a fake (apart from anything else, Corbyn obviously wasn't there when the car was burning and he's shown uncomfortably close). Clearly bad taste, but possible to defend it as satire, I'd have thought? If it looked convincing and people actually believed Corbyn had done it then I see the damage caused. But as an (obvious?) joke I'm a bit concerned about 'damages' (what damage?) being paid here.

Kind of thing that I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone share on a family whatsapp. I'd never tweet it, but I don't use twitter in that kind of way (or, indeed, much at all). How I think about it depends, I guess, on how 'substantial' the damages are. I'd have thought a public apology was more than sufficient.

Can we transpose Johnson on to the Naked Gun 'nothing to see here' image with a sign saying 'Brexit' on the remains of the building without getting sued?
    I'm also struck by the fact that Mr Nickerson goes further and withdraws any suggestion or inference that Mr C is a supporter of terrorist violence.
    Substantial damages = more than £10.

That's lawyer speak for you.
    "and costs", mind. And grovelling in public.
    One of my favourite phrases.

‘We demand an act of oral satisfaction.’
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,985
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

The best British political ad I've ever seen. Powerful and persuasive, and it relies almost entirely on Boris' charm and charisma. Of recent prime ministers only Blair at his peak could equal that. Imagine Major or Cameron or May trying it on. Cringe

Farooq made a brilliant analogy on the prior thread. Campaigning is like conceiving, Governing is like parenting. Boris is now surrounded by the tedious nappies of political reality (and real nappies, as well). He needs to learn to be a decent Dad, super quick
    Such inventive genius that Rosena Allin-Khan shamelessly copied it a fortnight earlier.

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1197884965444366337?s=20
    Jesus F Christ. We had this tedious debate at the time. Allin-Khan didn't invent it, either. She ripped it off Love Actually. But then Richard Curtis quasi-plagiarised it from Bob Dylan, and the same technique has been used by lots of other people, over the decades

The point is that Boris and his media team did it superbly well, better than anyone, and they pitched it perfectly at an electorate bloody bored of Brexit. And it has that genius payoff when Boris, shoulders slumped like Churchill, gruffly walks to the camera, and says "Enough. Enough. Let's get this done" - giving a growly voice to the heartfelt desire of practically the entire country

I get that Boris has many many flaws. But it is futile to deny his charisma. Those that do are blinded by their hatred of him, and thus under-estimate him. Fatally. And it is this charisma which also enables him to overcome the flaws - until now, perhaps.....
    Not really, she used the meme to make a political ad. And the Ludicrous Boris shamelessly copied it.

And who would you rather have knocking on your door?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Concerning that Northern Ireland is going back to Working From Home. That’s a chunk of the UK with the same vaccination experience as the UK.

Did NI not open up as early and emphatically as England? What makes Belfast different to London?

Genuine questions. Because if there isn’t a big difference then WFH could be returning to mainland Britain as well

They have done fewer vaccines per 100 and they took a more European style reopening maintaining social distancing measures and mask wearing indoors. I don't think night clubs and late night bars have reopened there.
    The problem is that almost everyone in Europe outside of England kept with the notion that suppressing cases via NPIs was a good idea post-PIs.

It was a terrible idea.

It should have always been obvious that if you need a mask in the summer then how the hell are you planning on coping in the winter?
    That said, there is an awful lot of voluntary mask wearing atm in the UK for a country that doesn't mandate mask wearing.
    Where? Not in London much other than the Piccadilly line from Heathrow.
    In shops there is still tons of mask wearing.

Edit: plus the last time I was on the tube (couple of weeks ago) it was 60-70% mask wearing.
    Piccadilly line? And which shops? Not up here.
    Not forgetting some people look so much better in a mask so should leave them on.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Concerning that Northern Ireland is going back to Working From Home. That’s a chunk of the UK with the same vaccination experience as the UK.

Did NI not open up as early and emphatically as England? What makes Belfast different to London?

Genuine questions. Because if there isn’t a big difference then WFH could be returning to mainland Britain as well

They have done fewer vaccines per 100 and they took a more European style reopening maintaining social distancing measures and mask wearing indoors. I don't think night clubs and late night bars have reopened there.
    The problem is that almost everyone in Europe outside of England kept with the notion that suppressing cases via NPIs was a good idea post-PIs.

It was a terrible idea.

It should have always been obvious that if you need a mask in the summer then how the hell are you planning on coping in the winter?
    That said, there is an awful lot of voluntary mask wearing atm in the UK for a country that doesn't mandate mask wearing.

Edit: plus the last time I was on the tube (couple of weeks ago) it was 60-70% mask wearing.
    Piccadilly line? And which shops? Not up here.
    Central, Northern, Jubilee. All where people not in masks are the exception.

Perhaps the Piccadilly Line is a particularly happy go lucky line.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Such inventive genius that Rosena Allin-Khan shamelessly copied it a fortnight earlier.

Jesus F Christ. We had this tedious debate at the time. Allin-Khan didn't invent it, either. She ripped it off Love Actually. But then Richard Curtis quasi-plagiarised it from Bob Dylan, and the same technique has been used by lots of other people, over the decades

The point is that Boris and his media team did it superbly well, better than anyone, and they pitched it perfectly at an electorate bloody bored of Brexit. And it has that genius payoff when Boris, shoulders slumped like Churchill, gruffly walks to the camera, and says "Enough. Enough. Let's get this done" - giving a growly voice to the heartfelt desire of practically the entire country

I get that Boris has many many flaws. But it is futile to deny his charisma. Those that do are blinded by their hatred of him, and thus under-estimate him. Fatally. And it is this charisma which also enables him to overcome the flaws - until now, perhaps.....
    I don't deny others find him charismatic.
    I don't. Never have done.
    Maybe that's why I don't hate him?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,183
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

That was effective but the killer (imo) was him driving a truck through the fake wall in that factory. The wall was the Brexit impasse and he just damn well drove through it and knocked it over, boom, it's gone. For the Brexit election, with most of the country sick and tired of the wrangling, it was perfect. Worth a million words. And it played to his big bear physicality, also it ... oh ffs I can't go on, all true, this stuff, but I just can't be typing any more of it out, it both bugs and bores me at the same time. BoJo gave us Brexit, yes, but a deeper truth is that Brexit gave us BoJo and we're stuck with him until we aren't.
    The more I ponder it, the more I wonder if he will be gone sooner than you think. I get Dura Ace's angle that Boris likes the perks of the job, and the status (and surely Carrie likes them even more, probably a lot more), but Boris is easily bored, and impulsive (as we have discussed), I can easily see him waking up one day, the baby screaming, the media haranguing him, everyone shouting at him, or looking disappointed - and he will think "Fuck this for a game of toy soldiers, I got Brexit done, I got us through the pandemic, I'm nearly 60 and I want to earn loads of money and trot around the world like Blair, then I can hire a million nannies as well"

Highly possible. If it is going to happen it will be when the pandemic is clearly finished. Summer next year?
    Nah. He is PM. It is what every politician and many non-politicians aspire to. The top. Numero Uno. You simply don't give that up unless you have to.

He might be presented with a revolver and a bottle of whisky but it won't be voluntary.
    Dunno. I agree with your general rule, it is true of 98% of politicians, but Boris Johnson is exceptional in good and bad ways. He could be in the 2%

My thinking is that he makes mad random decisions quite a lot (much more than most people). This could be one: "Fuck it, I'm done"

To pluck a figure out of my ass I would say there's a 23% chance he will do this before the next GE. I do NOT believe he will ever be handed the revolver. No one in the Tory Party has the cullions
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

It was a terrible idea.

Just had a trip. Local X-Ray dept; everyone (including Mrs C & myself) masked. Petrol station. Outside,m so no problem. CurrysPCWorld; no request for mask, staff all.... what there were of them .... unmasked. One customer, in front of us in the queue for till masked.
    Incidentally, advice adequate but they really didn't want to take my money. One chap on duty who was also, apparently, giving advice.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Not really, she used the meme to make a political ad. And the Ludicrous Boris shamelessly copied it.

QED. You fear and loathe him, and it warps your judgement of him
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

It was above all CORBYN.

I loathe Boris. I loathe Brexit. But I loathe Corbyn about a million million million times more.

And I imagine as I think so does perhaps a majority-winning number of reasonably centrist types around the country.

It was above all CORBYN.
    You are absolutely right Topping. 🤙

Un prime ministerial Boris versus Un prime ministerial terrorist sympathiser.

I voted libdem.
    Hmm. This has just popped up on the Graun feed.

'A Conservative councillor has agreed to pay “substantial” damages and legal costs to Jeremy Corbyn for a tweet containing a fake photograph of the former Labour leader at the scene of the Liverpool terrorist attack.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Paul Nickerson, a councillor on East Riding of Yorkshire council, has apologised and taken “full responsibility” for the doctored tweet, which showed Corbyn laying a poppy wreath at the burning taxi outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital, and was captioned with the word “unsurprisingly”, PA Media reports.'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/nov/23/social-care-costs-jeremy-hunt-boris-johnson-sajid-javid-covid-uk-politics-live-latest-updates
    https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463130394019209222

Edit: some odd wording in the photographed statement in that tweet as to the circumstances of the original tweet-at-issue's posting.
    Hmm indeed. It's a reasonably good photoshop (bit of searching brings up the image) but pretty obviously a fake (apart from anything else, Corbyn obviously wasn't there when the car was burning and he's shown uncomfortably close). Clearly bad taste, but possible to defend it as satire, I'd have thought? If it looked convincing and people actually believed Corbyn had done it then I see the damage caused. But as an (obvious?) joke I'm a bit concerned about 'damages' (what damage?) being paid here.

Kind of thing that I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone share on a family whatsapp. I'd never tweet it, but I don't use twitter in that kind of way (or, indeed, much at all). How I think about it depends, I guess, on how 'substantial' the damages are. I'd have thought a public apology was more than sufficient.

Can we transpose Johnson on to the Naked Gun 'nothing to see here' image with a sign saying 'Brexit' on the remains of the building without getting sued?
    I'm also struck by the fact that Mr Nickerson goes further and withdraws any suggestion or inference that Mr C is a supporter of terrorist violence.
    Substantial damages = more than £10.

That's lawyer speak for you.
    "and costs", mind. And grovelling in public.
    One of my favourite phrases.

‘We demand an act of oral satisfaction.’
    Your mind is filthy Eagles! And I don’t just mean it today.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

How much of that campaign really brilliance of Boris or spin doctors utilising him effectively with their own brilliant ideas?

And another element in winning elections, making promises people like and reassures them. Surely the simple answer as polls go against you is you didn’t deliver your promises.
    I believe people vote in election for the more hope(ful) option.

If you look at Brexit referendum in that light - Brexit won because it sold the poorer worker a brighter future (no immigrants competing for the jobs and keeping wages down).

Boris then doubled down in 2019 and won the Red Wall seats by offering both Brexit and better jobs and better local amenities.

If those better jobs and better amenities don't arrive I can't see Boris having much chance of winning again.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips
    Mrs Thatcher told my Gran to buy her council house. She said it would mean she had something to leave her family. Boris Johnson says to all those who bought their modest 2 bed houses that he's going to take it all away, while people like him get to keep so much

Jess Phillips a Maggie Thatcher Fan... Who would have thunk it? :D
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I neither fear nor loathe him. I just think he is an embarrassment.

And you didn't answer my question.
  • Options
    eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

As has always been the case. There has never been a time when older people have been protected from losing their homes. Nor would it be prevented by implementation of Dilnot's primary recommendations.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

If you look at Brexit referendum in that light - Brexit won because it sold the poorer worker a brighter future (no immigrants competing for the jobs and keeping wages down).

Boris then doubled down in 2019 and won the Red Wall seats by offering both Brexit and better jobs and better local amenities.

If those better jobs and better amenities don't arrive I can't see Boris having much chance of winning again.
    As an ex-canvasser I'm usually polite to those who knock on my door, but I can see things getting nasty for the Tories in some places.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The numbers @Leon:
    England 88.1%, 80%, 26.5%
    NI 84.9%, 78.9%, 18.7%

That's for first doses, second doses and booster doses.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I 99% agree with you again Eek. But the 1% depends what he is up against, which is what the thread header is reminding us.
    And not to forget Corbyn stitched up his successors leaving them so low in seats it’s harder to change government next time.
  • Options

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

As has always been the case. There has never been a time when older people have been protected from losing their homes. Nor would it be prevented by implementation of Dilnot's primary recommendations.
    True but remember May's 2017 disaster - people don't understand how the old system work so the new system (because it's written down and being presented) looks way worse...

Now the reality may be different but few people understand that reality.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,281
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

FPT that list of sociopathic tendencies:

- Lack of empathy for others
    - Impulsive behavior
    - Attempting to control others with threats or aggression
    - Using intelligence, charm, or charisma to manipulate others
    - Not learning from mistakes or punishment
    - Lying for personal gain
    - Showing a tendency to physical violence and fights
    - Generally superficial relationships
    - Sometimes, stealing or committing other crimes
    - Threatening suicide to manipulate without intention to act
    - Sometimes, abusing drugs or alcohol
    - Trouble with responsibilities such as a job, paying bills, etc.

I've got 6 or 7 of them. Does that make me semi-sociopathic?

It's probably a fair description, but on the other hand these lists are absurd. I imagine most people tick several boxes. Who doesn't "use intelligence charm or charisma to manipulate others"? That's human society in a nutshell. Everyone TRIES to do that, at the very least, tho most might fail

Which one don't you have.
    I don't have numbers

Clear BS!
    12 is debatable, I grant you. Some of these things have come and gone in my life. I am sincerely trying to be honest. It would be interesting to know how many boxes are ticked by other PB-ers.
    In your case, I’d wonder about 1 given some of the rubbish you post, 3 is a slam-dunk given your notorious outbursts whenever you run out of arguments with someone of a different viewpoint, 7 can only be speculation but the aggression of some of your drunken rants would at least present a ‘?’, on 8 you’ve posted before about the hundreds of women you wouldn’t sleep with again (or vice versa, obvs), 10 I grant you, 12 you’re probably rescued from merely by dint of being a high earner rather than any by actual intrinsic capability.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

The more I ponder it, the more I wonder if he will be gone sooner than you think. I get Dura Ace's angle that Boris likes the perks of the job, and the status (and surely Carrie likes them even more, probably a lot more), but Boris is easily bored, and impulsive (as we have discussed), I can easily see him waking up one day, the baby screaming, the media haranguing him, everyone shouting at him, or looking disappointed - and he will think "Fuck this for a game of toy soldiers, I got Brexit done, I got us through the pandemic, I'm nearly 60 and I want to earn loads of money and trot around the world like Blair, then I can hire a million nannies as well"

Highly possible. If it is going to happen it will be when the pandemic is clearly finished. Summer next year?
    Two points: T Blair gives no impression of enjoying his global act of having a correct strategy for all situations but no power to implement.

The pandemic won't clearly end. Covid is a fact in reality, and likely to be permanent . Whether it is seen as pandemic, epidemic, endemic or something else will depend as much on the uncertainties of group think and zeitgeist as anything else. This is in the head, not in the outer world.

My best guess is that spring/summer 2022 will see a shift in perspective from pandemic/crisis to epidemic/endemic. This can only happen (in western Europe) in a time of decent weather and outside autumn/winter.

After 21 months it continues to be in the news agenda every day without fail. This is highly unusual. The shift will only be clear when this stops, and becomes irregular. It is by far the easiest way of taking the temperature of the issue. As I write this it is right at the top of the BBC and Guardian websites, and near the top of the FT. After 21 months that is amazing. (and very boring).

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

As an ex-canvasser I'm usually polite to those who knock on my door, but I can see things getting nasty for the Tories in some places.
    Well having been called a nazi while canvassing for the Cons in 2017 I can tell you that it would be nothing out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Do we have England covid numbers for today?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Who would I rather have knocking on my door? Boris Johnson or Rosina Allin-Khan? Is that a serious question??

lol. Again: QED

Would I rather have some boring, horse-faced non-entity of a Woke Labour MP for Nowheretown come to visit, or would I rather have the rollicking Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the country, father of seven, husband of three, ex editor of the Spectator, winner of the Brexit wars, clown and/or hero to millions.

Ooh. Tough question. Which one gets invited in for some egg nog and a gossip?

The fecking prime minister, idiot
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

What a difference four months make:

'I was given a sense of injustice from the day I was born. My grandparents set up the independent Labour party in Birmingham. My grandad was a flag-waving activist. I was born, in 1981, to socialist parents who worked in the public sector. Mrs Thatcher was in power and we’d go on rallies, marches and take part in picket lines from before I can remember.' (Jess Phillips, The Guardian, 18 July 2021)

Granny must have been less of a flag-waving socialist activist than she let on. Wonder how her picketing, rallying kids felt about mum obeying Margaret Thatcher's injunction to buy her council house?
    It's the other set of grandparents - the capitalist ones - that she's taking about now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

There's also the point that he would be utterly hopeless, far more so than now, if he had to deal with a very narrow majority (which looks at least reasonably likely) after the next election.
    And I think he must recognise that.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

'I was given a sense of injustice from the day I was born. My grandparents set up the independent Labour party in Birmingham. My grandad was a flag-waving activist. I was born, in 1981, to socialist parents who worked in the public sector. Mrs Thatcher was in power and we’d go on rallies, marches and take part in picket lines from before I can remember.' (Jess Phillips, The Guardian, 18 July 2021)

Granny must have been less of a flag-waving socialist activist than she let on. Wonder how her picketing, rallying kids felt about mum obeying Margaret Thatcher's injunction to buy her council house?
    LOL! Well even Scargill attempted to buy a council property under Mrs T's "Right To Buy" didn't he? ;)

(Revealed many years after the event I seem to remember)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,743

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

True, but as HYUFD helpfully shows us passim, the Tories are currently making a big thing of intergenerational wealth transfer, and to tax the poor more highly on that than the rich* is not exactly consistent with Mrs T's original promise.

*before IHT kicks in on anyone who hasn't claimed all the allowances that benefit rich Tory voting southerners disporportionately already, and who hasn't put in place basic avoidance methods.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,439
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

- Impulsive behavior

It's probably a fair description, but on the other hand these lists are absurd. I imagine most people tick several boxes. Who doesn't "use intelligence charm or charisma to manipulate others"? That's human society in a nutshell. Everyone TRIES to do that, at the very least, tho most might fail

I don't have numbers

Clear BS!
    12 is debatable, I grant you. Some of these things have come and gone in my life. I am sincerely trying to be honest. It would be interesting to know how many boxes are ticked by other PB-ers.
    Most parents are guilty of 3, I guess. I mean, I try and have reasoned debates with my 4 year old, but sometimes it's "no TV later unless you put your coat on now" that cuts through. Maybe 4, on a good day, as a parent, too :wink:

Honestly, I don't think I tick any of the boxes. I feel a bit dull now :disappointed: Impulsive, sometimes, perhaps. I'm a sucker for feeling empathy for others, too, which probably makes me a prime victim for 4 and 10.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

- Impulsive behavior

I don't have numbers

Clear BS!
    In your case, I’d wonder about 1 given some of the rubbish you post, 3 is a slam-dunk given your notorious outbursts whenever you run out of arguments with someone of a different viewpoint, 7 can only be speculation but the aggression of some of your drunken rants would at least present a ‘?’, on 8 you’ve posted before about the hundreds of women you wouldn’t sleep with again (or vice versa, obvs), 10 I grant you, 12 you’re probably rescued from merely by dint of being a high earner rather than any by actual intrinsic capability.
    Yeah, yeah, enough of the flattery, I still won't be your friend
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Who would I rather have knocking on my door? Boris Johnson or Rosina Allin-Khan? Is that a serious question??

Would I rather have some boring, horse-faced non-entity of a Woke Labour MP for Nowheretown come to visit, or would I rather have the rollicking Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the country, father of seven, husband of three, ex editor of the Spectator, winner of the Brexit wars, clown and/or hero to millions.

The comma could easily be removed from the last sentence.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    Excellent thread Mike. Spot on. I encountered many people who said simply that they could never have voted for Corbyn.

Given the choice, of course Boris Johnson won.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In about an hour. Today and tomorrow will be maximum panic days as last week there was a bit of reporting lag building up.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited November 2021

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

This comment I nicked from somewhere seems to me to balance out the argument a bit:

No person will be worse off under these new proposals than currently.

Poorer households already receive means tested help with their social care costs. They will continue to do so. None of them will be 'hit' by anything. There is no 'scaling back' of social care support. No-one will in future face real catastrpohe. by being hit with very large care costs.

A cap on care costs is being introduced. It will benefit both those who currently receive no help with their care costs and those who do. Those who have to pay their care costs in full themselves will tot up care costs faster to reach the cap than those whose care costs are already being subsidised.

There is no inequity in this. The only 'inequity' is an envy that other people who, unlike oneself, have not prev
    iously received a benefit are now receiving one.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,281
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

- Impulsive behavior

I don't have numbers

Clear BS!
    Yeah, yeah, enough of the flattery, I still won't be your friend
    We’ll put that down under 1, 3, 5, and 8.
  • Options

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Granny must have been less of a flag-waving socialist activist than she let on. Wonder how her picketing, rallying kids felt about mum obeying Margaret Thatcher's injunction to buy her council house? Given that they sent darling Jess to a selective grammar school ten years later, perhaps it was where the rot set in.
    You don't get sent to a selective grammar school. You win a place as a result of what can be a loaded exam.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

LOL! Well even Scargill attempted to buy a council property under Mrs T's "Right To Buy" didn't he? ;)

(Revealed many years after the event I seem to remember)
    Whereas, Bob Crow got grief (unfairly, in my opinion) for living in a council house...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513521/Bob-Crow-says-moral-duty-leave-council-house-despite-generous-salary.html
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

The comma could easily be removed from the last sentence.
    Actually, you could also remove the "idiot". That was a little sharp. Apologies Anabobazina. Perhaps I am a bit of a "3" as well

But it WAS a ridiculous question. Who on earth would rather talk to that Whatsherface MP?! Even loathers of Boris would surely be curious enough to talk to him
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,253
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Nah. He is PM. It is what every politician and many non-politicians aspire to. The top. Numero Uno. You simply don't give that up unless you have to.

He might be presented with a revolver and a bottle of whisky but it won't be voluntary.
    Dunno. I agree with your general rule, it is true of 98% of politicians, but Boris Johnson is exceptional in good and bad ways. He could be in the 2%

My thinking is that he makes mad random decisions quite a lot (much more than most people). This could be one: "Fuck it, I'm done"

To pluck a figure out of my ass I would say there's a 23% chance he will do this before the next GE. I do NOT believe he will ever be handed the revolver. No one in the Tory Party has the cullions
    I don't think he does make mad random decisions, though. I agree that is his image, but it doesn't seem to match reality.

On Brexit it sounds like he struggled to decide which way to go to the extent that he wrote more articles on the subject than he was paid for. Given his track record on late article writing this qualifies as an extended bout of tortured introspection.

Similarly he only resigned after Chequers when his hand was forced by the resignation of David Davis - this was not the action of a man prone to mad random decisions.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

In about an hour. Today and tomorrow will be maximum panic days as last week there was a bit of reporting lag building up.
    I confess, psychologically, I will be a little freaked if we go over 50K.

It is almost meaningless, I know, but it will impact, nonetheless

Thanks for the NI numbers. The lag in boosters over there might be playing a significant role
  • Options
    On topic, Starmer may not be as toxic as Corbyn got by the end but he's hardly Mr Popular.

He hasn't had a positive approval rating in a single opinion poll since April!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_approval_opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Keir_Starmer
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Neither.
  • Options

Richard Tice
    @TiceRichard
    · 42m
    Number of voters in Bexley saying yesterdays shambolic speech by Boris the final straw, extraordinary!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's the other set of grandparents - the capitalist ones - that she's taking about now.

Which set, sorry?

Dad of Birmingham Jess Phillips MP writes glorious letter defending her roots

...my Mom worked as a conductor on the buses during the war... My Mom remarried when I was four years old, and with my wonderful stepfather we eventually got a council house of our own in Sheldon (also part of Jess's constituency). Jess's other Grandma was a dinner lady at the local school in Yardley - are you getting the links!

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Granny must have been less of a flag-waving socialist activist than she let on. Wonder how her picketing, rallying kids felt about mum obeying Margaret Thatcher's injunction to buy her council house? Given that they sent darling Jess to a selective grammar school ten years later, perhaps it was where the rot set in.
    You don't get sent to a selective grammar school. You win a place as a result of what can be a loaded exam.
    An exam which most people don't have the choice to take, thanks to Labour. However, I apologise wholeheartedly to Jess's parents. Apparently Jess was : "A precocious child who insisted, against the wishes of her parents, on attending the local grammar school". Sadly, she had more sense at 11 than she does now.
  • Options
    Third highest ever day for cases in the Netherlands

720 deaths in the Ukraine - equivalent to about 1200 in the UK

We are still a week from December: we are still theoretically in autumn. This winter could be utterly brutal in Europe
  • Options
    eek said:

Richard Tice
    @TiceRichard
    · 42m
    Number of voters in Bexley saying yesterdays shambolic speech by Boris the final straw, extraordinary!

LOL! Voters telling Mr Tice what he wants to hear to get him off their doorstep most likely...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

This comment I nicked from somewhere seems to me to balance out the argument a bit:

Poorer households already receive means tested help with their social care costs. They will continue to do so. None of them will be 'hit' by anything. There is no 'scaling back' of social care support. No-one will in future face real catastrpohe. by being hit with very large care costs.

A cap on care costs is being introduced. It will benefit both those who currently receive no help with their care costs and those who do. Those who have to pay their care costs in full themselves will tot up care costs faster to reach the cap than those whose care costs are already being subsidised.

There is no inequity in this. The only 'inequity' is an envy that other people who, unlike oneself, have not prev
    Again it doesn't matter because no one knows how the current system really works... You can argue all you want but people don't know the current system and the new one is documented in black and white as Labour highlights the unfairness (remember it's a regressive inheritance tax) of it.

That was what screwed May in 2017 and it will screw the Tories at the next election because it only starts from October 2023 (which is the starting point for the next election, as that is when the new boundaries kick off).
  • Options
    More rumblings

"Boris Johnson is not unwell and has not lost his grip, says No 10

Downing Street spokesperson responds to questions about PM’s health after rambling speech to CBI on Monday"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/23/boris-johnson-is-not-unwell-and-has-not-lost-his-grip-says-no-10
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447
    I remember watching the 2019 election with a Conservative-inclined friend. We shared the view that we did not

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

...my Mom worked as a conductor on the buses during the war... My Mom remarried when I was four years old, and with my wonderful stepfather we eventually got a council house of our own in Sheldon (also part of Jess's constituency). Jess's other Grandma was a dinner lady at the local school in Yardley - are you getting the links!

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

An exam which most people don't have the choice to take, thanks to Labour. However, I apologise wholeheartedly to Jess's parents. Apparently Jess was : "A precocious child who insisted, against the wishes of her parents, on attending the local grammar school". Sadly, she had more sense at 11 than she does now.
    "My Mom" - is this a Birmingham thing? The only place I know of in England who don't have a "Mum" are those in the North East who have a "Mam".
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    This is interesting, or is at least an indication of how fed up most doctors are now with the people who refuse to get vaccinated.
    Berlin doctors are asking for unvaccinated patients treated for covid to be made to pay a share of the costs of treatment:

https://www.kvberlin.de/die-kv-berlin/pressemitteilungen/detailansicht/pm211123

I don't know how realistic it is, but I think it would be quite popular.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I've met Boris twice – believe me, he's remarkably tedious IRL.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I've also met him, did not find him tedious at all
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I suspect the context and venue is all important when it comes to meeting Boris.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The numbers @Leon:
    England 88.1%, 80%, 26.5%
    NI 84.9%, 78.9%, 18.7%

That's for first doses, second doses and booster doses.
    And remember comparing 88.1 to 84.9 is not about the 3.2% difference, its exaggerated because of the ratio of unvaccinated (11.9 vs 15.1%).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197
    rcs1000 said:

After 4 (don't forget the clocks changed)
  • Options
    Today I learned, while endlessly prevaricating instead of tackling a difficult flint, that the population of the Ukraine has declined from a peak of 52 million in 1993 to just 41.9 million today (some recent estimates put it down at around 37 million)

That is an incredible fall. A fifth of the country has disappeared in 25 years. If it continues Ukraine will cease to exist in the next century, and will be virtually deserted within a few decades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Ukraine
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

algarkirk said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Again it doesn't matter because no one knows how the current system really works... You can argue all you want but people don't know the current system and the new one is documented in black and white as Labour highlights the unfairness (remember it's a regressive inheritance tax) of it.

That was what screwed May in 2017 and it will screw the Tories at the next election because it only starts from October 2023 (which is the starting point for the next election, as that is when the new boundaries kick off).
    Thankfully I'm not Boris Johnson and I'm not required to care how popular these measures are, I'm just pleased they've been implemented, as a start.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I remember watching the 2019 election with a Conservative-inclined friend. We shared the view that we did not

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

"My Mom" - is this a Birmingham thing? The only place I know of in England who don't have a "Mum" are those in the North East who have a "Mam".
    Yeah mom is a Birmingham thing, it is weird.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I suspect the context and venue is all important when it comes to meeting Boris.
    Also being a buxom blonde helps, quite a bit.

Boris has shagged himself stupid through his life. Given that he is not the most attractive man, physically, he clearly has charm and humour - when he wants

I fear he may have thought "Anabobazina" was not worth the effort
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Boris has shagged himself stupid through his life. Given that he is not the most attractive man, physically, he clearly has charm and humour - when he wants

'Tedious' can hide a multitude of meanings, mind.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

True, but as HYUFD helpfully shows us passim, the Tories are currently making a big thing of intergenerational wealth transfer, and to tax the poor more highly on that than the rich* is not exactly consistent with Mrs T's original promise.

*before IHT kicks in on anyone who hasn't claimed all the allowances that benefit rich Tory voting southerners disporportionately already, and who hasn't put in place basic avoidance methods.

There is no tax on the poor, if you are poor you won't own a property but will be living in social housing or using housing benefits and all your care costs will still be paid anyway.

The £86,000 care cap applies to all homeowners, rich or poor.

The only other alternative would be to say have a policy where nobody will pay more than 40% of their assets in care costs but that would be an administrative nightmare to administer and very costly
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I confess, psychologically, I will be a little freaked if we go over 50K.

It is almost meaningless, I know, but it will impact, nonetheless

Thanks for the NI numbers. The lag in boosters over there might be playing a significant role
    I think with the latest guidance on doing a LFT at any time before a social meeting getting above 50k cases will be inevitable. We will end up with 20-30% more tests being done than we have at the moment.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Great exchange, guys. Keep it going.

PS - Am I the only person who found Boris's Peppa Pig trolling of the shirts at the CBI a real LOL moment? My impression is that while he may be going off the rails, at least he seems to be enjoying himself. (Takes cover...)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Today I learned, while endlessly prevaricating instead of tackling a difficult flint, that the population of the Ukraine has declined from a peak of 52 million in 1993 to just 41.9 million today (some recent estimates put it down at around 37 million)

That is an incredible fall. A fifth of the country has disappeared in 25 years. If it continues Ukraine will cease to exist in the next century, and will be virtually deserted within a few decades

Bulgaria's has shrunk 30% since 1988 - and that excludes any impact from a separate movement from the countryside into Sofia and the other larger towns.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Can anyone point me to where I can get a breakdown of current UK (or England) COVID deaths by both age cohort and vaccination status?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I've never met him, and don't want to.

I've met Rosena Allin-Khan, however, and she was simply delightful.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

it's a British thing. Imported from America

My older daughter calls her Mum "Mom". I find it a little sad
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Was your then incarnation a buxom blonde when you met ?
  • Options

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Also very much a US thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

There is no tax on the poor, if you are poor you won't own a property but will be living in social housing or using housing benefits and all your care costs will still be paid anyway.

The only other alternative would be to say have a policy where nobody will pay more than 40% of their assets in care costs but that would be an administrative nightmare to administer and very costly
    Like National Insurance is not a tax, you mean?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,439
    edited November 2021
    Nevermind, beaten to it :disappointed:
  • Options
    TimT said:

Can anyone point me to where I can get a breakdown of current UK (or England) COVID deaths by both age cohort and vaccination status?

Age cohort is on the dash, vaccination status isn't regularly provided, probably Google it and you'll find links to studies.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

I've never met him, and don't want to.

I've met Rosena Allin-Khan, however, and she was simply delightful.
    I can believe it, she seems like a lovely lady. I have met Boris Johnson, but wish I'd met Rosena instead!
  • Options
    It's probably unfair to point this out but this is a photo from Sir David Amess's memorial service in Westminister

Boris just looks unwell - that expression reminds me of my Grandfather after 5 years of Parkinson's
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Yes that's what I meant by it being weird that it's also a Birmingham thing, you don't think of people in the UK saying it but they definitely do in Brum.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

He probably didn't. Still, quite an underwhelming bloke.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

it's not. It is definitely British parlance now. Do you not have kids?

"Mum" will probably be gone entirely within 20 years. Blame social media
  • Options
    Brutal S Korean dictator, Chun Doo-hwan dies, unapologetic to the last:
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/11/356_319318.html
  • Options
    eek said:

It's probably unfair to point this out but this is a photo from Sir David Amess's memorial service in Westminister

Boris just looks unwell - that expression reminds me of my Grandfather after 5 years of Parkinson's

I mean he's at the funeral of a friend and colleague who has been murdered and in the company of Mrs May (not to mention John Major)

I think unfair is an understatement don't you? ;)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Like National Insurance is not a tax, you mean?
    I'm not sure what you meant by your original point. The wealthier will pay more for their care. Perhaps less as a % of their assets (depending on which comparison you choose), but we have never had a system that taxes wealth other than IHT. Even Council Tax likely fails that test.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,297
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Basically, if you want to be sure that you leave your kids more than £20k you need to save more than £106k over your lifetime. If you are in the majority they get all that you leave, subject to IHT if you are really rich. If you are unlucky you get a bill capped at £86K, whatever your care costs are and they get the balance with a guaranteed £20k. Still pretty generous on the part of taxpayers if you ask me.

It is not the job of a Social care system to seek to rebalance wealth inequality. It is overreach for it to do so. You can argue for more IHT, less CGT reliefs, whatever but the job of this system is to fund SC at a cost that taxpayers can afford. That's it. Its this sort of whataboutery and distraction which has allowed Dilnott's proposals to gather dust for more than a decade.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Was your then incarnation a buxom blonde when you met ?
    It's like Dr Who remade by GB News.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062
    From the official France Diplomacy account: Foreign Minister @JY_LeDrian claims that @BorisJohnson is a "populist who uses all elements at his disposal to blame others for problems he faces internally."

https://twitter.com/francediplo_EN/status/1462834768563822609
  • Options
    It is a rare inclination indeed to prefer hot egg nog with Boris than Rosena.

But, each to his own.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

Bulgaria's has shrunk 30% since 1988 - and that excludes any impact from a separate movement from the countryside into Sofia and the other larger towns.
    Yes. People who eulogise the EU forget that the expansion into the East has been calamitous for several countries there, as all their young people vigorously decanted to the richer West, en masse
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    A good proportion of the indicators for sociopathy are common-or-garden narcissism, and we do need a certain amount of narcissism to function so most people will look down the list and think some of the indicators apply to them. Though they don't, really, it's only when they become a problem.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

eek said:

I mean he's at the funeral of a friend and colleague who has been murdered and in the company of Mrs May (not to mention John Major)

Nope, look at his face and look at the photos from yesterday - Boris is just drawn / worn out.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    @Leon, those Ukraine demographic statistics are horrendous.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes

Great exchange, guys. Keep it going.

PS - Am I the only person who found Boris's Peppa Pig trolling of the shirts at the CBI a real LOL moment? My impression is that while he may be going off the rails, at least he seems to be enjoying himself. (Takes cover...)
    Which would be fine if it weren't at our expense.
    So no, I didn't see the joke.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

From the official France Diplomacy account: Foreign Minister @JY_LeDrian claims that @BorisJohnson is a "populist who uses all elements at his disposal to blame others for problems he faces internally."

https://twitter.com/francediplo_EN/status/1462834768563822609

It’s true, but very odd to see this sort of thing from an ostensible ally.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's quite a similar story across most of Eastern Europe, their young people all left for Germany and the UK. It's quite sad really.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Yes. People who eulogise the EU forget that the expansion into the East has been calamitous for several countries there, as all their young people vigorously decanted to the richer West, en masse
    So why don’t they leave if it is such a calamity?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Yes, and their mother is American.
    Do you not understand the meaning of "also" ?
  • Options
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Nope, look at his face and look at the photos from yesterday - Boris is just drawn / worn out.
    Perhaps he never fully recovered from Covid?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Which set, sorry?

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Really? Our kids still say "mum" despite two of them actually being American. In this country I've only ever heard "Mom" from Brummies. Other Americanisms are happening in our house, though. We do correct them when we can and try to encourage use of proper South London idioms in keeping with our surroundings.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

It's quite a similar story across most of Eastern Europe, their young people all left for Germany and the UK. It's quite sad really.
    Ukraine is slightly different, not being able to get into Western Europe a lot are in Poland replacing the Poles who went to Western Europe.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MaxPB said:

TimT said:

Age cohort is on the dash, vaccination status isn't regularly provided, probably Google it and you'll find links to studies.
    Thanks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

Thinking about this some more, it is all about wealth transfer to the next generation. As Tory party policyt and your own frequent comments make clear.

So it has to be seen in the context also of Tory IHT policy. Which does indeed claim 40% of dutiable assets, at the cost of a fair bit of hassle.

And which is carefully crafted to minimise the effect on home owners in wealthier parts of the UK (because it differentiates between the house and other wealth).

You can't suddenly suggest that complex IHT calculations are acceptable while claiming that similar calculations are impossible for wealth in life.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Yes, the equivalent in the UK would be our population falling from 67 million to about 50 million in the next 25 years. Twice the population of London: disappearing. In one generation. Remarkable and desolating

However as @eek points out, other East European countries have it even worse. And the demographic crunch is spreading....

This discussion has been closed.