Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s time to end this clocks moving back nonsense – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2021 in General
It’s time to end this clocks moving back nonsense – politicalbetting.com

Each year on the day the clocks move back I get really irritated because to me it is crazy. During the winter the amount of daylight hours is very limited so why not make it so that we can enjoy what there is to the maximum. Instead, we have light mornings and things go dark in the mid to late afternoon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited October 2021
    First.

I disagree, Winters are horrible anyway, having an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon/evening is of no use. Much better to have it getting light when kids are going to school.

Also, we do really need to be aligned with Europe. What I'd like to see if Europe change the clocks at the same time as the USA (i.e. go back on the first Sunday in November and go forward on the second (?) Sunday in March).
  • Options
    It is 10 o clock isnt it?
  • Options
    We should abandon the failed BST experiment and stick to GMT. If people want to get up early in summer for extra light, let them, but they can stop annoying the rest of us.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2021
    Just move to GMT instead of Silly Time, and move everything 1 hour forward.

The whole point of midday is that it is the middle of the day. Why have the middle of the day at 1pm?
  • Options
    Turning the clock back as a policy to do or not do is up there with should pizza have pineapple on it as subjects I coud not give a flying duck about
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    I agree with Mike. I hate this stupid messing with the clock. I want the extra hour in the evening. Bloody dark by 5.30 this evening.
  • Options
    The sun won't be due south at midday unless it's GMT!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    In terms of daylight experienced it would make no difference to me as I'm up at least by 0445 and kip at maybe 1030. But some clocks do need resetting here.
    I'd like to see the kids walking in the dawn light to school.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    I started the day in triumph today: my laziness in not turning the kitchen clock forward at any time in the past seven months has paid off! A small faff avoided.

Anyway, I like changing the clocks. I like getting an extra hour in bed in late October. I like the extra hour of daylight on early Spring evenings. And I dislike dark mornings. I find it hard to get up in the week or so before the clocks go back. That's now not an issue for another three weeks at least. I would definitely be averse to it not getting light until well after nine in the morning in December and January if we were on BST all year.

If we must stay at one time, GMT is the better time. But I would argue that GMT is best for winter, BST in summer.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Never. It took the First World War to make it happen to begin with, the Second World War to make changes to it, and the government of Wilson found no favour for keeping an experimental change.

It is annoying though.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

The whole point of midday is that it is the middle of the day. Why have the middle of the day at 1pm?

..what do you think the "middle of the day" means other than midday on the clock?!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,622
    I quite like it being light enough to walk my dog in the morning. By now it is too dark for an evening walk, even before the clocks go back.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Isn't the EU getting rid of DST next year? Would be interesting if it happens for the UK, considering how it would affect Northern Ireland.
  • Options

Why not go back to using sun dials and having local time like they do at Christ Church College Oxford?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    If midday was truly the middle of the day there would not be a problem. But our waking hours are back end loaded for some cultural reason.

Go to bed at 8pm and get up at 4am and you would maximise use of daylight all year round on GMT.
  • Options
    Who was those pesky Pacific Islanders that changed their clocks so they would be the first to see in 2000?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    I don’t mind the current system, but another option is to move to 1 h ahead in winter and 2 in summer, as per the war.

I kind of enjoy the dark winter evenings and nights. Embrace the snuggling down I guess, and enjoy the rare brilliant sunny winters days.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,158
    I would stick to the system we have now but restrict GMT/wintertime to the two darkest months.

December and January

That would also have the nice effect of making winter seem just two months long

And as we are now out of the EU, we can do this. A True Brexit Bonus. More LIGHT
  • Options
    If we're going to pick a single time then surely the only sensible thing to do is keep GMT all year around.

If you want to get up earlier or later, that's your choice. But kids going to school in daylight hours rather than when its dark is sensible.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    In California, there was a ballot initiative back in 2018 to bring California into line with Hawaii and Arizona and get rid of the whole winter/summer thing. Unfortunately, despite the ballot initiative passing with 60% of the vote, the Uniform Time Act means that such a change requires the blessing of the Federal Government, which the Trump administration failed to give. (Not for any particular reason, I would note. This is hardly a left-right thing. But probably just because he doesn't like Californian.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

I would stick to the system we have now but restrict GMT/wintertime to the two darkest months.

December and January

And as we are now out of the EU, we can do this. A True Brexit Bonus. More LIGHT

We really need to be aligned with Europe for football. At the moment, games kick off at 20:00 our time and 21:00 in Europe. We really don't want to have 21:00 kick offs (assuming that they wouldn't move to 20:00 - I genuinely don't know who the kick off times are designed to suit).
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    If Scindy were an issue on which England and Wales got to vote, and if Scindy meant e and w getting too keep summer time all year round, Scindy would walk it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

..what do you think the "middle of the day" means other than midday on the clock?!
    Equal (ish) hours of daylight before and after. I'm pretty sure we had midday before defined time zones...
    tlg86 said:

Why not go back to using sun dials and having local time like they do at Christ Church College Oxford?
    I always claim to run on 'Oxford Time' (ie 5 minutes late for everything) even when East of the meridian.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

If you rise at 7 and turn in at 11 then the middle of the day is 3pm!
  • Options
    Leon said:

December and January

Build Back Light!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    CatMan said:

Isn't the EU getting rid of DST next year? Would be interesting if it happens for the UK, considering how it would affect Northern Ireland.

Ah, I see it's been stalled. This article is from last year, but there doesn't seem to have been any progress since then

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-blame-game-over-failure-to-end-clock-change/
  • Options

Farooq said:

Equal (ish) hours of daylight before and after. I'm pretty sure we had midday before defined time zones...
    tlg86 said:

I always claim to run on 'Oxford Time' (ie 5 minutes late for everything), even when East of the meridian.
    Ok, but since metropolitan UK covers something like 10 degrees of latitude, that's a good 45 minutes difference between first zenith and last (possibly more depending on the time of year?). So whatever you choose, somewhere in the UK is going to get more morning or more evening light.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Ah, I see it's been stalled. This article is from last year, but there doesn't seem to have been any progress since then

Don’t forget that politico can no longer be trusted on any European topics…
  • Options

If midday was truly the middle of the day there would not be a problem. But our waking hours are back end loaded for some cultural reason.

Go to bed at 8pm and get up at 4am and you would maximise use of daylight all year round on GMT.

Well you do but we are circadian creatures - and it's much harder to rouse yourself to useful wakefulness before dawn.

Left to my own devices, I get up much earlier in the summer than the winter.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Its absolutely ridiculous to have an insistence either that all clocks must change, or that no clocks must change, regardless of local demands.

The sensible thing to do surely is to pick a date where clock changes will happen, if they happen, then let individual countries (or even individual timezones within countries) determine whether summer time applies to them or not?

The Southern nations could then keep a single time all year around, and the northern nations could then have clocks change suiting them.

As for the UK 5:30pm is a perfectly reasonable time for it to go dark. It means kids have gone to school in the daylight, and come home in the daylight. Is it being "miserable" for dog walkers or anyone else having it be dark earlier in the evening worth the price of kids going to school when its still dark in the morning?

If grown ups wish to adjust their body clock to shift things they do an hour earlier, then that seems more sensible than having kids having to go to school in the dark.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

December and January

We really need to be aligned with Europe for football. At the moment, games kick off at 20:00 our time and 21:00 in Europe. We really don't want to have 21:00 kick offs (assuming that they wouldn't move to 20:00 - I genuinely don't know who the kick off times are designed to suit).
    For the second time this evening, I have to point out that football is a major consideration only for players of the pink oboe.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Christ Church - no College.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227
    edited October 2021
    Now that all the important clocks in our lives are digital and attached to the internet (or could easily be), why don't we update GMT daily so noon is when the sun at its highest point over the Greenwich meridian.

• Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

I always claim to run on 'Oxford Time' (ie 5 minutes late for everything), even when East of the meridian.
    Ok, but since metropolitan UK covers something like 10 degrees of latitude, that's a good 45 minutes difference between first zenith and last (possibly more depending on the time of year?). So whatever you choose, somewhere in the UK is going to get more morning or more evening light.
    True, but GMT is still closer to the right value than BST. As most of the UK is west of the Meridian, BST is going the wrong way...

You do notice those extra minutes in the far west of Scotland, BTW. One of the reasons Scotland doesn't like BST in the winter is because it is 1hr 30min+ wrong, not just 1hr.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

True, but GMT is still closer to the right value than BST. As most of the UK is west of the Meridian, BST is going the wrong way...

You do notice those extra minutes in the far west of Scotland, BTW. One of the reasons Scotland doesn't like BST in the winter is because it is 1hr 30min+ wrong, not just 1hr.
    Well I'm in the far east of Scotland, and I can honestly say I'm not that bothered by it either way. If other people think it's wrong and should change, I'll go along with it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Christ Church - no College.
    No Christ either!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Salisbury really cannot catch a break.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    To hell with the Jocks.... and two fingers to the EU.

Stick to GMT..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

I don’t mind the current system, but another option is to move to 1 h ahead in winter and 2 in summer, as per the war.

I kind of enjoy the dark winter evenings and nights. Embrace the snuggling down I guess, and enjoy the rare brilliant sunny winters days.

Umm - you mean moving onto CET?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

December and January

"A True Brexit Bonus" It's come down to this??

Seriously though, I'd happily keep BST all the year round, or move to CET even lighter summer evenings) but changing our clocks on different dates to the rest of Europe gets seriously confusing, since on any day they could be 0, 1, or 2 hours ahead of us.
  • Options
    Salisbury and the West of England Line is going to be cut off to the east for some time.
  • Options

Stick to GMT..

Well some of us are loyal to our country. If you can't stand the "British" in British Summer Time, move to Russia.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,526

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Its absolutely ridiculous to have an insistence either that all clocks must change, or that no clocks must change, regardless of local demands.

The sensible thing to do surely is to pick a date where clock changes will happen, if they happen, then let individual countries (or even individual timezones within countries) determine whether summer time applies to them or not?

The Southern nations could then keep a single time all year around, and the northern nations could then have clocks change suiting them.

As for the UK 5:30pm is a perfectly reasonable time for it to go dark. It means kids have gone to school in the daylight, and come home in the daylight. Is it being "miserable" for dog walkers or anyone else having it be dark earlier in the evening worth the price of kids going to school when its still dark in the morning?

If grown ups wish to adjust their body clock to shift things they do an hour earlier, then that seems more sensible than having kids having to go to school in the dark.
    If we change it all to local, the trains won't run on time.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Now that all the important clocks in our lives are digital and attached to the internet (or could easily be), why don't we update GMT daily so noon is when the sun at its highest point over the Greenwich meridian.

That might cause a little confusion in that each solar day isn't the same length.

Oddly enough, December 21st is just about the longest solar day (for the moment, anyway).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

Well some of us are loyal to our country. If you can't stand the "British" in British Summer Time, move to Russia.
    Is your country the EU? My Country is England.
  • Options
    There are currently 1388 people viewing the Rail Forums thread about the crash.

Hopefully some of them will pay us a visit next time there is a parliamentary by election.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Umm - you mean moving onto CET?
    Never!! We will do our own thing and call it Blitz Summer Time and Greewich Modern Time, or somesuch.

Edit: Brexit Summer Time! Neverending sunlit upland evenings (until it gets dark, at least).
  • Options

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

No, I live in BRITAIN. As in BRITISH summer time.
    What's so great about GMT anyway? You sound like one of those metropolitan elites who think there's nothing outside London.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited October 2021
    Emmanuel Macron is asked whether he thinks Scott Morrison lied to him:

“I don’t think, I know.”

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/1454867866734432257
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

If we are going to UK-focused time, then the centre is .. er .. Mansfield.

MMT or bust.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    I’m not sure what I prefer. The extra hour in winter afternoons would be nice, but getting up in the dark in January is already miserable enough. That first week back after new year in particular.

I was at Christ Church. This time of year always reminds me of it. The first few weeks of the new academic year. Leaves turning in the meadow. The bell tolling at 9.05pm. Odd place though, I’d have chosen differently if I had my time again.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

What's so great about GMT anyway? You sound like one of those metropolitan elites who think there's nothing outside London.
    We dont need to be govered as to time by anyone else, especially Scotland. Time is set as it is mainly because of Scotland.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

If you knew your BRITISH history you'd appreciate the signifigance of Greenwich Mean Time.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    I blame Chris Martin's great great grandfather, William Willett.
  • Options
    If we're going to change, I'd prefer GMT all year round.

Whatever we do, we should stick with Portugal.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

If you knew your BRITISH history you'd appreciate the signifigance of Greenwich Mean Time.
    Excuse me? You think I haven't read the the Magna Carta?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

You mean Willett-Wontit?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

geoffw said:

You mean Willett-Wontit?
    Isn't that the theme here?

• Options
    Charles said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Don’t forget that politico can no longer be trusted on any European topics…
    You have to admit it is a bit of a stretch, publishing both an ex-Guido reporter, and Comical Dave.

Unless you switch to personal branding.
  • Options
    We did, of course, experiment with year-round British Summer Time from 1968 to 1971. It was known as British Standard Time. Despite the fact it reduced child deaths on the roads, a large part of the reason it didn't become permanent was a scurrilous campaign by opponents highlighting every child death in the morning in the run-up to the parliamentary vote and claiming the child was killed by BST.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227
    edited October 2021
    Is this poll quoted in the header mental, or is it badly quoted?

It seems to present the 3 options as - BST all the time, CET (the same thing) all the time, and keep the same as now.

If GMT all the time was an option, it's not mentioned.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

Patriotic Mean Time for patriotic Englishmen. Rooty seems to to be living in its warm glow perpetually already.
  • Options
    Well if I had followed my own advice I would have gone to bed two hours ago.

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,235
    Oh no. Not this again.

If you want to get up earlier then get up earlier. Why insist on having the government change the clocks to trick you into doing so?

The numbers we have are entirely arbitrary, except that noon is defined as the time when the sun is at its highest.

Why mess with that?

Get up earlier. Start work earlier. Finish work earlier. Have your dinner earlier. Whatever. Leave the clocks alone.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    CatMan said:

Ireland was half an hour behind GMT until 1916. Despite protests at the time it's notable the Free State did not reverse it after 1922.
  • Options

Those two statements are incompatible, just saying.
  • Options

The cultural reason is that artificial light allows us to stay up late extending our leisure time after the day's work is done, and we then stay in bed as long as possible.

If we moved to permanent summertime all that would happen is that the times things happen at would shift later. The 9-5 would slowly become the 10-6. And then we'd have the same pointless argument all over again.
  • Options

They only are if Portugal weren't to change with us. I think we should agree on any change.
  • Options

They only are if Portugal weren't to change with us. I think we should agree on any change.
    I'd rename it LLT; Lisbon London Time
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I blame Canada.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

Patriotic Mean Time for patriotic Englishmen. Rooty seems to to be living in its warm glow perpetually already.
    Are you surprised? Macron and the Frogs are behaving disgracefully, threatening the EU's main purpose and Scotland has always been a pain and needed subjugating and subsidising. Let them eat cake now . We are fed up with subsidising them.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,158

“I don’t think, I know.”

HAHAHAHAHAH

They are so hurting. It's a kind of Suez for them
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Farooq said:

How about, the middle of the day? If you get up at seven and go to bed at ten, the middle of your day is at two thirty in the afternoon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“I don’t think, I know.”

HAHAHAHAHAH

I've just seen that the French government has started raising the possibility of postponing the independence referendum in New Caledonia "for health reasons".

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/monde/referendum-en-nouvelle-caledonie-seuls-des-criteres-sanitaires-pourraient-imposer-un-report-dit-lecornu/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,588
    Does anyone really care about this ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Leon said:

“I don’t think, I know.”

HAHAHAHAHAH

I've just seen that the French government has started raising the possibility of postponing the independence referendum in New Caledonia "for health reasons".

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/monde/referendum-en-nouvelle-caledonie-seuls-des-criteres-sanitaires-pourraient-imposer-un-report-dit-lecornu/
    What's the point of having constant referenda on New Caledonian independence which always results (for demographic reasons) in a vote to remain part of France.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    O/T, but I just came back from seeing Dune at the cinema, and it was stunningly good.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

“I don’t think, I know.”

HAHAHAHAHAH

What's the point of having constant referenda on New Caledonian independence which always results (for demographic reasons) in a vote to remain part of France.
    The last one was 53/47 so it's not unwinnable for the pro-independence side.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited October 2021
    Time to cancel Lawrence Fox, he has come out for a Republic once the Queen dies because Charles is pushing action on climate change too hard.

We can now officially declare Fox is not a conservative and never will be, just an ultra libertarian anti wokeist

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1454872509430566914?s=20
  • Options

Farooq said:

Stick to GMT..

My country is the UK and Scots and English are in agreement on this Mori poll for all year round BST
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,588
    For Halloween rewatched the first two Final Destination movies - which have held up quite well over the two decades since they came out.

I’d forgotten just how good were Tony (Candyman) Todd’s cameos. Seriously underrated/underused actor.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Time to cancel Lawrence Fox, he has come out for a Republic once the Queen dies because Charles is pushing action on climate change too hard.

We can now officially declare Fox is not a conservative and never will be, just an ultra libertarian anti wokeist

Blimey, HYUFD, are you trying to cancel everyone who 'isn't a conservative'? That's going to be a very long list for people who don't meet your high standards.

I don't think the abolition of the monarchy after the queen is a particularly fringe opinion. My guess is that around 30-40% of this board would agree with it, along with a good number of Conservative voters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

If we're going to pick a single time then surely the only sensible thing to do is keep GMT all year around.

If you want to get up earlier or later, that's your choice. But kids going to school in daylight hours rather than when its dark is sensible.

GMT all year round for me too!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    edited October 2021
    Noon is honorary morning, as any gentleman knows. No-one in their right mind has lunch at 12. Mid-day is not, socially and culturally at least, the middle of the day.

To answer Mike’s question, I’d have BST year round for England and Wales, and GMT during the winter in Scotland. You could rebrand it Glasgow Mean Time.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Blimey, HYUFD, are you trying to cancel everyone who 'isn't a conservative'? That's going to be a very long list for people who don't meet your high standards.

I don't think the abolition of the monarchy after the queen is a particularly fringe opinion. My guess is that around 30-40% of this board would agree with it, along with a good number of Conservative voters.
    Being a monarchist is one of the core principles of being a British conservative. If you do not support the monarchy then by definition you can never be a conservative in the UK and never be a Tory.

30-40% of the electorate may become republicans once the Queen goes, not a single one of them will be a conservative. Most of them will be socialists (61% of republicans vote Labour and only 13% vote Conservative), the minority who happen to support the Conservative Party are not conservatives, merely centre right libertarians or liberals just voting for the Conservative Party to keep Labour out

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/05/18/who-are-monarchists
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Being a monarchist is one of the core principles of being a British conservative. If you do not support the monarchy then by definition you can never be a conservative in the UK and never be a Tory.

30-40% of the electorate may become republicans once the Queen goes, not a single one of them will be a conservative. Most of will be socialists, the minority who happen to support the Conservative Party are not conservatives, merely centre right libertarians or liberals just voting for the Conservative Party to keep Labour out
    Utter and complete nonsense

I have been a republican most of my life though I am very fond of the Queen

After the Queen passes we need a much scaled down monarchy

And I have been a conservative many years more than you have been on this planet
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    GMT is the real time.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Nigelb said:

Does anyone really care about this ?

How can I put it? It's not going to swing my vote one way or another.

They only thing I would say is that, having worked on Sweden in winter, I found going to work in the gloom and coming back in the dark quite depressing. It's nice to have proper daylight light at least one of before and after work. Probably lose that oop north with year round GMT.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

30-40% of the electorate may become republicans once the Queen goes, not a single one of them will be a conservative. Most of will be socialists, the minority who happen to support the Conservative Party are not conservatives, merely centre right libertarians or liberals just voting for the Conservative Party to keep Labour out

I have been a republican most of my life though I an very fond of the Queen

After the Queen passes we need a much scaled own monarchy

And I have been a conservative many years more than you have been on this planet
    Yes and as a former New Labour voter who voted for Blair twice and is no longer a committed Tory supporter you are not a conservative either, so thanks for proving my point.

You are just a centre right leaning swing voter who dislikes socialism and likes the Queen but has no loyalty to monarchy as an institution. By definition therefore you are not a Tory. In any case Charles has already made clear he will have a more scaled down monarchy when he becomes King
  • Options
    dodrade said:

CatMan said:

Ireland was half an hour behind GMT until 1916. Despite protests at the time it's notable the Free State did not reverse it after 1922.
    Ah, fascinating. Though I found this Irish Times article that says it was 25 minutes, and not necessarily used consistently in the western provinces.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/a-brief-history-of-irish-time-1.1572097
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:

Not sure why you thought Fox was a conservative in the first place?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    HYUFD said:

Not sure he understands why he supports the Queen but not her eldest son.

There's like an hereditary thing that kinda comes with the whole gig.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and as a former New Labour voter who voted for Blair twice and is no longer a committed Tory supporter you are not a conservative either, so thanks for proving my point.

You are just a centre right leaning swing voter who dislikes socialism and likes the Queen but has no loyalty to monarchy as an institution. By definition therefore you are not a Tory
    Swing voter who has only voted Labour twice

And I am not centre right and Boris move to the left is nearer my politics then he is to yours
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

How about, the middle of the day? If you get up at seven and go to bed at ten, the middle of your day is at two thirty in the afternoon.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

You are just a centre right leaning swing voter who dislikes socialism and likes the Queen but has no loyalty to monarchy as an institution. By definition therefore you are not a Tory. In any case Charles has already made clear he will have a more scaled down monarchy when he becomes King
    I admire your energy at defining fellow PBers’ political tribe. How would you define me, out of interest?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GMT all year round for me too!
    It already gets light far too early for partying in the summer months. Why on Earth would you want it to get light even earlier? Better to be light in the evenings when you can enjoy it, rather than wrecking the vibe by getting light at 3am!
This discussion has been closed.