Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Ministers meet the high expectations of the booster jab roll out? – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,659
    Relocating is never easy, and it would be a shame if some BBC staff chose to miss out on everything our thriving region has to offer.

But their loss is our gain, as I know our wonderful creatives in the West Mids will snap these jobs up in no time.

https://twitter.com/andy4wm/status/1450726187794419713?s=20

The vast majority of London-based staff at Radio 1’s Newsbeat service have declined to relocate to a new base in Birmingham, as the BBC faces the challenge of rebuilding entire teams from scratch.

In the latest example of the broadcaster’s difficult and lengthy restructuring process, three-quarters of Newsbeat’s approximately 40 staff have indicated they do not want to move outside the capital, according to sources in the corporation.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/oct/19/bbc-radio-1-newsbeat-staff-decline-relocate-birmingham
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited October 2021
    There's now a booster thread available
  • Options

DavidL said:

At which point do the idiots in the UK government actually start to Do Something? "It doesn't matter how many people get sick, very few are in hospital are dying" was the refrain from some on here. OK, now we're back to death rates above the same measure last year - can't use that excuse any more.

The NHS managers are now clear that the catastrofuck is upon them. We absolutely need boosters because we know that the vaccine which was focused on the vulnerable and elderly to start with is much less effective now. We'll have to do more - well not we, you. It was pretty stark travelling through the Netherlands to Germany then to England and then home to Scotland. Despite the UK case rates being sky high the only place where people no longer seem to care is England.

The difference in England during our recent trip there was stark and it is bloody miserable having masks on again in Scotland. I was in the pub last night and they were insisting everyone had to have their masks on until they were sitting down.

Personally, I prefer the English attitude to this. This disease is not going away. We are all likely to get it eventually. We just need to ensure that as many as possible are double vaxxed plus boosted (if appropriate, timewise) when we do. Some will still get sick and some will die but life needs to go on. The current figures are not good but on one view it is better than more catch it now than when the flu season is up and running. Those countries which are deferring infections may come to regret that.
    I bloody hate masks. Like they can set off the same kind of panic attacks that had me on Sertraline for a chunk of last year. But they are needed. We're already crashing a plane of people every day and we haven't got started into the winter peak yet. If my wearing a mask helps keep someone else off today's plane thats worth the effort whether I enjoy the experience or not.

Its interesting the divide between posters. Pretty much everyone saying "its over / its endemic / so what / live with it" are current or former Tory members/voters. This really shouldn't be a political issue.
    Saying 'idiots in government is not politicising it ?
    When the government either refuse to listen to the experts or openly contradict them you have to ask if it is idiocy. Not just medical experts, their response to industry bods in a variety of industries is the same.

You need balance in criticism and the delayed rollout for the young was entirely the fault of JCVI to which all four leaders followed

I do not hear your attacks on anyone other than Boris
    The UK government leads the devolved governments on what we are doing strategically. The detail of how that vaccination programme gets implemented in practice goes to the devolved health services but only after strategy has been set.

I'm not remotely a fan of Sturgeon or the SNP. I campaigned against them in May. But there is a scale of how bad one government is vs another, and the Scottish government (which I don't support) is better than the UK government (which I don't support).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    edited October 2021

moonshine said:

kamski said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Before any form of official lockdown, including wearing these vile masks in classrooms, the government should announce that anyone who has been eligible for the vaccine and failed to get it for reasons other than isolation at time of appointment or medical guidance will henceforth be charged for the cost of any and all Covid treatment they receive, in advance, or only pain relief will be provided.

Actions have consequences. If they wish to avoid being vaccinated, that’s their right, but it’s not their right to be dog in the manger with the rest of us.

How about:
    Alcoholics
    Drug users
    The obese
    Smokers
    Extreme sports enthusiasts
    Parents of children with congenital conditions due to marrying their cousin

I don't have a moral problem with vaccine passports for the short term (although I think there are practical issues) but what you suggest would be, I fear, the thin edge of a very nasty wedge.

I'd instead favour not locking down - the consequence of not being vaccinated is that the rest of the country will no longer put life on hold to help you.
    Whilst that is undoubtedly a part of the response the problem is that the unvaccinated are clogging up our hospitals and preventing us from getting treatment for other things. What do we do about that consequence of their selfishness and stupidity?
    I wrote a part serious/part humorous header a while back about an anti-vaxxer friend. A deep-state conspiracy theorist. He still hasn't had the vaccine and neither has his wife or two children.

Three weeks ago we heard that his wife and one child were mildly ill, took home LFTs and both came up positive. Their illnesses, like most, were very mild and they are fully recovered. They felt lethargic for four or five days and lost their taste and smell. The husband and other child were never infected or ill (they periodically took LFTs) (just luck as they took no precautions).

This experience has merely served to bolster the husband's resolve to not be vaccinated.
    I know people who are not antivaxxers - they are in favour of other vaccines - but are not yet vaccinated. Young people who say "maybe I prefer to get immunity from being infected". Now I think that's reckless, and I also think we have some collective responsibility to try and reduce pressure on healthcare, but I also think it's not a totally unreasonable position.
    It’s pretty bone headed when you look at the relative risks of each route to antibodies. I hate the moral hazard inherent in the NHS, from people taking no care of their health and then free riding on the rest of us. There’s no clearer example of this than the Covid anti vaxxer that still expects me to pay my share of their treatment when they need hospital.
    We have a very good friend whose husband has been vaxxed, but she has gone down the anti-vaxxer wormhole. Very unwise as she is in her mid 60's, significantly overweight and with other health issues. It means they can't do a bunch of stuff together, but he won't put pressure on her. She knows we don't agree with her refusal, but having heard her take, we don't feel it will do any good to try to convince her to be jabbed. She is ordinarily a very caring, liberal person. She just can't see that she is being anti-social. Almost comically, she moans she can't get her knee operated on. The idea that one anti-vaxxer in hospital with Covid might mean 20 knee operations get canned as a result doesn't register.
    Sadly I also have such friends. My nearest and dearest friend of more than 40 years, best man at our wedding and after whom we named our son, is refusing to have the vaccine. His parents in their 80s, who were so important in my formative years are the same. I have tried long and hard to persuade them and it has, at times, become quite heated. But I cannot break off such a deeply held and valued friendship over it and so all I can now do is worry about them. In spite of being highly intelligent and well read he has believed all the anti-vaxxer stuff about medical complications and 'untested' vaccines. It seems that at the moment there is no moving him.

It does cause me a huge amount of worry as there seems to me to be an inevitability about them contracting the virus.
    We have to remember that even unvaccinated this virus killed 1-1.5% of those infected weighted heavily to the older age groups admittedly. Its a completely unnecessary risk but the odds are they will be fine, even the parents.

I have seen many more anti-vaxxers in Dundee of late. They have well printed boards and seem remarkably well organised. When you look at them they seem to come from various walks of life and socio-economic groups. They are probably a bit older than average, most in the 30-60 range. I just don't understand them at all.
  • Options

DavidL said:

At which point do the idiots in the UK government actually start to Do Something? "It doesn't matter how many people get sick, very few are in hospital are dying" was the refrain from some on here. OK, now we're back to death rates above the same measure last year - can't use that excuse any more.

The NHS managers are now clear that the catastrofuck is upon them. We absolutely need boosters because we know that the vaccine which was focused on the vulnerable and elderly to start with is much less effective now. We'll have to do more - well not we, you. It was pretty stark travelling through the Netherlands to Germany then to England and then home to Scotland. Despite the UK case rates being sky high the only place where people no longer seem to care is England.

The difference in England during our recent trip there was stark and it is bloody miserable having masks on again in Scotland. I was in the pub last night and they were insisting everyone had to have their masks on until they were sitting down.

Personally, I prefer the English attitude to this. This disease is not going away. We are all likely to get it eventually. We just need to ensure that as many as possible are double vaxxed plus boosted (if appropriate, timewise) when we do. Some will still get sick and some will die but life needs to go on. The current figures are not good but on one view it is better than more catch it now than when the flu season is up and running. Those countries which are deferring infections may come to regret that.
    I bloody hate masks. Like they can set off the same kind of panic attacks that had me on Sertraline for a chunk of last year. But they are needed. We're already crashing a plane of people every day and we haven't got started into the winter peak yet. If my wearing a mask helps keep someone else off today's plane thats worth the effort whether I enjoy the experience or not.

Its interesting the divide between posters. Pretty much everyone saying "its over / its endemic / so what / live with it" are current or former Tory members/voters. This really shouldn't be a political issue.
    Saying 'idiots in government is not politicising it ?
    When the government either refuse to listen to the experts or openly contradict them you have to ask if it is idiocy. Not just medical experts, their response to industry bods in a variety of industries is the same.

You need balance in criticism and the delayed rollout for the young was entirely the fault of JCVI to which all four leaders followed

I do not hear your attacks on anyone other than Boris
    The UK government leads the devolved governments on what we are doing strategically. The detail of how that vaccination programme gets implemented in practice goes to the devolved health services but only after strategy has been set.

I'm not remotely a fan of Sturgeon or the SNP. I campaigned against them in May. But there is a scale of how bad one government is vs another, and the Scottish government (which I don't support) is better than the UK government (which I don't support).
    So HMG leads v Sturgeon - really
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

DavidL said:

I think that is a pretty dumb statement. It is you who are politicising it by trying to make that claim.
    Is it? I would have thought it a given that those of a libertarian bent are more likely to be keen on less restrictions and those more inclined to state involvement the opposite. Although I grant you that isn't going to be 100% but just a trend. Eg see mask wearing in the commons.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218

DavidL said:

I think that is a pretty dumb statement. It is you who are politicising it by trying to make that claim.
    Well, except its hardly a claim, its a statement of the obvious. The "live with it" brigade are an order of magnitude more Conservative than any other party, that is not the same as saying that the Conservative government is listening, but what RochdalePioneers is saying is objectively true, even if it is uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Tyndall, I hope they're ok.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Worth revisiting that excess death chart. It's the under 65s now that are dying:

https://twitter.com/ActuaryByDay/status/1447958785159581696?t=maHIKWs0DsKIdZYgdIR2UQ&s=19

With a higher proportion of oldies fully vaccinated this was bound the be the case wasn't it?
    I think the graphs show little waning effect of the vaccines in terms of mortality.

It is also a sign that missed cancers* etc are not causing the excess.

* it is too soon for those to show in the figures in any case.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Stocky said:

It's endemic. Not going anywhere. Learning to live with it does not mean you don't care!

What do you mean about death rates being higher? They are much much lower due to the vaccines.
    I think @RochdalePioneers attitude that everywhere else is dealing with this better and England is ruled by ' idiots' says more about his political attitudes than reality

Here in North Wales mask wearing has virtually disappeared, evidenced only in medical environments and on some transport despite the Welsh government mandates, and to be honest who is going to enforce these regulations

Mask wearing is apparently higher in Scotland but their rates are rising

The details of who is catching covid now, hospital numbers and deaths are the key and as far as I am aware this is affecting the young and before we have another pop at HMG let us not forget it was the JCVI who did not give the green light to vaccinate the young earlier, and it was only when that was overturned the four administration commenced vaccinating

I really worry that JCVI ruled out vaccinating the young as they wanted our vaccines to be used elsewhere, and it was a political decision by them
    When we were in Anglesey and Caernarfon a couple of weeks ago mask wearing was very common, and enforced in some of the places we visited.
    Must wear off, the closer one gets to England!
  • Options

DavidL said:

You're the one trying to make it political with this asinine comment, but its fallacious anyway. Plenty of current or former Lib Dem members/voters are saying the same thing too.

The divide seems to me to be more between those who believe in collectivism/statism who want to see more state control of our lives (who tend to be Labour voters or SDP-style Lib Dems) and those who believe in individual responsibility/liberty (who tend to be Tory voters or truly liberal Lib Dems). With some who just want to bash the Government joining the former.

You may have left the Labour Party but you're not a liberal. You're still a collectivist at heart and that's why you're coming down on the side you are. The really liberal Lib Dems on this site aren't so keen on seeing restrictions imposed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    HYUFD said:

Boosters might help reduce rising cases, as might mandatory vaccine passports and making facemasks mandatory in shops and on public transport again beyond the tube. However there is no evidence death rates are rising to the same extent. The fact most Britons are double vaccinated is still keeping Covid death rates down.

As even the BBC news reports this morning 'UK cases have been rising sharply but deaths are well below the winter peak.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58976577
    Correct. There is so much misinformation spouted on here and elsewhere it’s terrifying. People have lost their bloody minds over this thing. Complete obsessive irrationality is widespread.
  • Options

Stocky said:

It's endemic. Not going anywhere. Learning to live with it does not mean you don't care!

What do you mean about death rates being higher? They are much much lower due to the vaccines.
    I think @RochdalePioneers attitude that everywhere else is dealing with this better and England is ruled by ' idiots' says more about his political attitudes than reality

Here in North Wales mask wearing has virtually disappeared, evidenced only in medical environments and on some transport despite the Welsh government mandates, and to be honest who is going to enforce these regulations

Mask wearing is apparently higher in Scotland but their rates are rising

The details of who is catching covid now, hospital numbers and deaths are the key and as far as I am aware this is affecting the young and before we have another pop at HMG let us not forget it was the JCVI who did not give the green light to vaccinate the young earlier, and it was only when that was overturned the four administration commenced vaccinating

I really worry that JCVI ruled out vaccinating the young as they wanted our vaccines to be used elsewhere, and it was a political decision by them
    The JCVI might have been making a political decision but surely it is more likely they had noted that Covid in the young was invariably harmless and even symptom-free. There is a standard trade-off with vaccines that increase risk (of side-effects) to the individual while reducing or eliminating risk to the community. And of course, there were many on pb advocating that the virus be allowed to rip through the schools.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

DavidL said:

It isn’t a political issue. There’s lots of people on the left who think we need to live with this. You are trying to make it a political issue.

And @NickPalmer - masks at “public events” are more than a nuisance. You are asking people who are meeting people to cover their faces. It’s a horrible intrusion on the basics of human interaction.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Stocky said:

kamski said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Before any form of official lockdown, including wearing these vile masks in classrooms, the government should announce that anyone who has been eligible for the vaccine and failed to get it for reasons other than isolation at time of appointment or medical guidance will henceforth be charged for the cost of any and all Covid treatment they receive, in advance, or only pain relief will be provided.

Actions have consequences. If they wish to avoid being vaccinated, that’s their right, but it’s not their right to be dog in the manger with the rest of us.

How about:
    Alcoholics
    Drug users
    The obese
    Smokers
    Extreme sports enthusiasts
    Parents of children with congenital conditions due to marrying their cousin

I don't have a moral problem with vaccine passports for the short term (although I think there are practical issues) but what you suggest would be, I fear, the thin edge of a very nasty wedge.

I'd instead favour not locking down - the consequence of not being vaccinated is that the rest of the country will no longer put life on hold to help you.
    Whilst that is undoubtedly a part of the response the problem is that the unvaccinated are clogging up our hospitals and preventing us from getting treatment for other things. What do we do about that consequence of their selfishness and stupidity?
    I wrote a part serious/part humorous header a while back about an anti-vaxxer friend. A deep-state conspiracy theorist. He still hasn't had the vaccine and neither has his wife or two children.

Three weeks ago we heard that his wife and one child were mildly ill, took home LFTs and both came up positive. Their illnesses, like most, were very mild and they are fully recovered. They felt lethargic for four or five days and lost their taste and smell. The husband and other child were never infected or ill (they periodically took LFTs) (just luck as they took no precautions).

This experience has merely served to bolster the husband's resolve to not be vaccinated.
    I know people who are not antivaxxers - they are in favour of other vaccines - but are not yet vaccinated. Young people who say "maybe I prefer to get immunity from being infected". Now I think that's reckless, and I also think we have some collective responsibility to try and reduce pressure on healthcare, but I also think it's not a totally unreasonable position.
    Hmm. May depend on how you define unreasonable. Even the young should, I think, come to the conclusion that the risk from the vaccine is less than the risk of catching Covid even for them. Does simply apathy and laziness play a part?
    I think it's a combination of mistrust of pharmaceutical companies who are making a lot of money, the idea that immunity from infection is better than immunity from vaccination (helped by people already being told they need to have boosters, and famous vaccinated people dying of covid), irrational fear of needles, worries about leaky vaccines combined with high infection rates leading to much more dangerous variants, and the idea that if you are young and healthy the risk of getting seriously ill is very small. It may all be wrongheaded, and I only tell them that my wife, who is treating young unvaccinated seriously ill people, would wholeheartedly recommend them getting vaccinated.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

DavidL said:

It isn’t a political issue. There’s lots of people on the left who think we need to live with this. You are trying to make it a political issue.

And @NickPalmer - masks at “public events” are more than a nuisance. You are asking people who are meeting people to cover their faces. It’s a horrible intrusion on the basics of human interaction.
    SARS CoV 2 has a low CFR of ~0.1% according to the UK govt. Less than/same as flu. Stop talking about it and just live with it.

Watch inter alia talks by Dr Chris Martenson but there are 10,000s more experts objecting to the policies since the UK abandoned its established 'pandemic plan' overnight in spring 2020 (under the previous plan, life would have been normal again by late summer 2020).

Why are UK 'COVID deaths' ~10x higher in Aug/Sep 2021 than 2020??? Hint, late summer 2020 was pre-'vaccine'.

Why is all-cause mortality higher now than in 2020, coinciding with the vaccine roll out, *not* with diagnosed 'COVID cases' which would tie in with the 'long COVID' hypothesis.

The narrative is slowly unravelling, not that the MSM will yet publish much of the data

https://www.peakprosperity.com/no-discernable-relationship-between-vaccines-and-cases/

Subramanian, S.V. & Kumar, A. 2021 Increases in COVID‐19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States, European Journal of Epidemiology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7
  • Options

DavidL said:

SARS CoV 2 has a low CFR of ~0.1% according to the UK govt. Less than/same as flu. Stop talking about it and just live with it.

Watch inter alia talks by Dr Chris Martenson but there are 10,000s more experts objecting to the policies since the UK abandoned its established 'pandemic plan' overnight in spring 2020 (under the previous plan, life would have been normal again by late summer 2020).

Why are UK 'COVID deaths' ~10x higher in Aug/Sep 2021 than 2020??? Hint, late summer 2020 was pre-'vaccine'.

Why is all-cause mortality higher now than in 2020, coinciding with the vaccine roll out, *not* with diagnosed 'COVID cases' which would tie in with the 'long COVID' hypothesis.

The narrative is slowly unravelling, not that the MSM will yet publish much of the data

https://www.peakprosperity.com/no-discernable-relationship-between-vaccines-and-cases/

Subramanian, S.V. & Kumar, A. 2021 Increases in COVID‐19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States, European Journal of Epidemiology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7
    FFS I'm an avid believer in we need to "just live with it" post-vaccines but that argument isn't helped by saying things that are factually incorrect.

Approximately 130k people have died with or from Covid. At a 0.1% CFR that would be 130 million of the UK's 67 million people infected already. 🤦‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.