Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Date for your diary: Next PB Gathering Friday April 8th + t

2»

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    edited March 2016
    AndyJS said:

EPG said:

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn
    Explosive interview in @bild with Macedonia

https://t.co/30qaoJEc7J

That's dreadful but not surprising - Merkel has trashed her legacy
    Not only her legacy, but also Europe's future.
    Two 10-year-old schoolgirls molested and a woman's trousers ripped off: Inside the sleepy Swedish town rocked by EIGHT sex attacks in three weeks by migrant men

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3485473/The-small-Swedish-town-terrorized-string-sex-attacks-eight-assaults-past-three-weeks-leaves-women-terrified-walk-dark.html
    Women should never feel they can't go out at night in their own towns.
    This may not be just a problem at night, as I recall a heated German town meeting recently where many were worried about their children and grandchildren on their journeys to and from school.
    My sister decided against holidaying in Germany and is instead going to Milan due to her concerns about safety. A very sorry state of affairs when women are terrified of holidaying in certain Western European countries.
    I suspect that the white, Christian people in Italy are no more or less likely to attack women than the brown, Muslim people in Germany. Unfortunately, violence against women by white men is common and banal, while violence by brown Muslims is newsworthy because it panders to the prejudices of white men
    You can't really believe what you've just written.
    Give us the stats, not just the titillating Breitbart/Daily Heil headlines
    "Hurrah for the Blackshirts!"
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4QYiztrLo

Could be even more lively than St Louis.

Great way to motivate the Bernie supporters too. The bigger the robbery by Hillary, the less will show up for her at the GE.
    Q. How many Trump voters are bringing potential violence into Democrat meetings or those of other Republican candidates?
    Noone shows up to Hillary rallies to be fair !
    I'm sure there's usually a old man standing and smiling in the background probably thinking about hiring some new interns in the White House.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

Two 10-year-old schoolgirls molested and a woman's trousers ripped off: Inside the sleepy Swedish town rocked by EIGHT sex attacks in three weeks by migrant men

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3485473/The-small-Swedish-town-terrorized-string-sex-attacks-eight-assaults-past-three-weeks-leaves-women-terrified-walk-dark.html
    This may not be just a problem at night, as I recall a heated German town meeting recently where many were worried about their children and grandchildren on their journeys to and from school.
    My sister decided against holidaying in Germany and is instead going to Milan due to her concerns about safety. A very sorry state of affairs when women are terrified of holidaying in Western Europe.
    My wife and I have cancelled a cruise going to the Greek Islands, Athens and Istanbul and sadly they are pretty much the only places we haven't been to. Instead we are taking our children, their partners and our grandchildren to Tuscany which we consider safe apart from the prospect of bumping into Polly Toynbee
    We took our three girls, husbands and seven grandkids to Center Parcs for Christmas, not quite Tuscany but it was brilliant.

Lake Garda for me and the wife, plus three days in Paris to see Springsteen, which will be heavy on security. Then most of August in Cornwall, my favourite place in the world.
    We have had family Xmas at Center Parcs for several years and it is magical for the grandchildren.
    I agree, did it years ago when my girls were young, really enjoyed it with the grandkids and will definitely do it again.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    EPG said:

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

My sister decided against holidaying in Germany and is instead going to Milan due to her concerns about safety. A very sorry state of affairs when women are terrified of holidaying in certain Western European countries.
    I suspect that the white, Christian people in Italy are no more or less likely to attack women than the brown, Muslim people in Germany. Unfortunately, violence against women by white men is common and banal, while violence by brown Muslims is newsworthy because it panders to the prejudices of white men
    LOL. Such naivety.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

My sister decided against holidaying in Germany and is instead going to Milan due to her concerns about safety. A very sorry state of affairs when women are terrified of holidaying in Western Europe.
    My wife and I have cancelled a cruise going to the Greek Islands, Athens and Istanbul and sadly they are pretty much the only places we haven't been to. Instead we are taking our children, their partners and our grandchildren to Tuscany which we consider safe apart from the prospect of bumping into Polly Toynbee
    We took our three girls, husbands and seven grandkids to Center Parcs for Christmas, not quite Tuscany but it was brilliant.

Lake Garda for me and the wife, plus three days in Paris to see Springsteen, which will be heavy on security. Then most of August in Cornwall, my favourite place in the world.
    We have had family Xmas at Center Parcs for several years and it is magical for the grandchildren.
    I agree, did it years ago when my girls were young, really enjoyed it with the grandkids and will definitely do it again.
    Our problem is the grandchildren are now older and there are big fines for taking them out of school
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

Our problem is the grandchildren are now older and there are big fines for taking them out of school
    I took them over Xmas itself, cost me loads but worth every penny.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:

EPG said:

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

This may not be just a problem ....
    You can't really believe what you've just written.
    Give us the stats, not just the titillating Breitbart/Daily Heil headlines
    "Hurrah for the Blackshirts!"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/number-of-muslims-in-prison-doubles-in-decade-to-12000-9222237.html - showing muslims 3 times as likely to be inprison.

In 2011, 5,476 (92.0 per cent) of offenders sentenced for sexual offences were of a known ethnicity (see Table 4.18). Of these persons:  80.9 per cent were White;  7.6 per cent were Black;  8.7 per cent were Asian;  The remaining 2.9 per cent were of ‘other’ ethnicity.
    Sentencing volumes across sexual offence groups varied by ethnicity. Compared with the overall proportions above, the offences of rape of a female and sexual assault on a female had proportionally less White offenders and more Black and Asian offenders sentenced. Conversely, the offences of rape of a male, sexual assault on a male, and sexual activity with minors had proportionally more White offenders and less Black and Asian offenders sentenced. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/214970/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

I took them over Xmas itself, cost me loads but worth every penny.
    It is very expensive during the holidays
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @FrancisUrquhart

'That's dreadful but not surprising - Merkel has trashed her legacy

Two 10-year-old schoolgirls molested and a woman's trousers ripped off: Inside the sleepy Swedish town rocked by EIGHT sex attacks in three weeks by migrant men'

And then we have the estimate that 1% of migrants entering Europe are ISIS plants.

Somehow I don't think the 'we are not in Schengen' is going to convince many people.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited March 2016

Ruling just issued.

17 year olds will be allowed to vote in the Ohio primary if they'll be 18 by election day.

This should be a big help for Bernie.

Appeal pending of course.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2016

MP_SE said:

Old Holborn

We used to go there when it first opened in the late 1980s. It was very uncrowded at that time, and wasn't particularly expensive as it is now; it took about 10-15 years to become as popular as it is today.

1994 promotional video that I found lying around a couple of years ago:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQahNUbZCI
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    We'll soon start to get the Democrat supporters being violent at Trump rallies as they perceive that this is not a done and dusted Democrat Presidency.

The more violence, the better the chance of Trump winning. (Witness Clinton having to apologise for praising Nancy Regan today)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
  • Options
    North Korea's sub is missing. Contact has been lost. Meanwhile the US - South Korean exercise continues.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:
    CNN and Fox News taking the Trump rally live.

So is MsNBC but nobody watches it.

But ongoing incidents at Trump rallies are a problem that needs to be sorted. Otherwise his campaign may suffer. This is potentially toxic for him.

Correspondents on scene are being drowned out by "Black Lives Matter" chants. Many of the protesters signs are fairly unpleasant. They appear to be peaceful though. Just exercising their 1st amendment rights.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:
    We'll soon start to get the Democrat supporters being violent at Trump rallies as they perceive that this is not a done and dusted Democrat Presidency.

The more violence, the better the chance of Trump winning. (Witness Clinton having to apologise for praising Nancy Regan today)
    She was criticized for lying about how she and Nancy started an HIV/AIDS dialog in the 80s. It's simply untrue, and it plays into her reputation for lying and dishonesty.

Otherwise she was most gracious in her comments on Nancy.

PLEASE spell people's names correctly - it's REAGAN.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    No sign of Trump. 25 minutes late...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

No sign of Trump. 25 minutes late...

Security related I'm guessing.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Official: Rally postponed due to safety concerns.

Looks like the hall was entirely infiltrated with protestors...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    RodCrosby said:

What's the betting some loony has phoned in a bomb threat.
  • Options
    Looks like its kicking off inside...
  • Options
    Lol Full of Bernie supporters.
  • Options
    This is just bonkers
  • Options
    Here we go...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    '68 redux...
  • Options
    I ain't hearing many chants for Hillary in there :p
  • Options
    edited March 2016

RodCrosby said:

What's the betting some loony has phoned in a bomb threat.
    Trump in conjunction with the police. It's noticeable that inside the venue there are many protesters - very few Trump placards being waved.

A few scuffles inside the arena. Looks peaceful outside.

Another example of the increasing suppression of free speech on university campuses.
  • Options
    CNN squarely blaming Trump...theres a shock.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

'68 redux...

What happened in 68 ?
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned an Emerson, Lake and Palmer t-shirt yesterday, and being asked where is Emerson Lake.

Keith Emerson died today at age 71.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

'68 redux...

What happened in 68 ?
    The Beatles released the White Album.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

'68 redux...

What happened in 68 ?
    The Democratic Convention in Chicago. Bit of a riot...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

'68 redux...

What happened in 68 ?
    That's an understatement ;)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

'68 redux...

What happened in 68 ?
    Is Ted Cruz playing a certain 393.5 delegate roll :p ?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Surely this will help Trump get the nomination (but not the Presidency)?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

If Trump wins the presidency, I some how doubt we will be seeing a repeat of the Obama stye victory rally in downtown Chicago...
  • Options

Wanderer said:

If Trump wins the presidency, I some how doubt we will be seeing a repeat of the Obama stye victory rally in downtown Chicago...
    Will be a big party in Jackson Mississippi though.
  • Options
    Trump testing the old adage "all publicity is good publicity".
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

The commentariat is condemning Trump about all this.
    But the images of african american Bernie Sanders protesters shredding Trump signs and american flags and clashing with Trump supporters are going to make Trump a republican icon.

It's like the hippie and student protests against Nixon in 1968 and 1972, it only pushed republicans and the middle class more towards Nixon as a reaction to the protests.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

This is good publicity for him, it makes Trump the victim of "radical violent leftists".
  • Options
    Speedy said:

This is good publicity for him, it makes Trump the victim of "radical violent leftists".
    CNN is really going for Trump over this.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    Last four ICM polls (percentages of those who expressed an intention):

Leave:

12-14 Feb 48%
    19-22 Feb 49%
    26-29 Feb 50%
    4-6 Mar 51%

Those who know catastrophe theory will realise that at this rate there will come a time when WHAM, the betting market reacts, big-time.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

But the images of african american Bernie Sanders protesters shredding Trump signs and american flags and clashing with Trump supporters are going to make Trump a republican icon.

It's like the hippie and student protests against Nixon in 1968 and 1972, it only pushed republicans and the middle class more towards Nixon as a reaction to the protests.
    That's what I mean. It may freak out Democrats (they are already freaked out) and independents but surely it will bind the Republican base to Trump?
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

Old Holborn

Pamela Geller doing overtime again?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Sky: Police requesting backup on the streets of Chicago...

Kicking off...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

That's what I mean. It may freak out Democrats (they are already freaked out) and independents but surely it will bind the Republican base to Trump?
    It makes Trump a victim, it helps him at various degrees with the general electorate, not every american is a Bernie Sanders supporter or a student.

The more violent students become, the more the people in the middle will turn to Trump.
  • Options
    One of the protesters holds up a sign saying "Trump hates puppies".
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

One of the protesters holds up a sign saying "Trump hates puppies".

This is way better than the EU referendum
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    I'm watching it live on Fox now.
    I just want to see the reaction from their side.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

It makes Trump a victim, it helps him at various degrees with the general electorate, not every american is a Bernie Sanders supporter or a student.

The more violent students become, the more the people in the middle will turn to Trump.
    I guess it depends, at least to some extent, on how it plays out and which side is seen to be more culpable for any deaths. At least as far as neutrals will see it. But on the Republican side surely it's good for Trump.

(Just speculating of course)
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

I guess it depends, at least to some extent, on how it plays out and which side is seen to be more culpable for any deaths. At least as far as neutrals will see it. But on the Republican side surely it's good for Trump.

It worked brilliantly for Nixon in 1968 and 1972, the more the protest are violent the more the people who are not protesting will react against the protests.
  • Options
    Trump should build his wall

Around Chicago !
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    And Trump is speaking on Fox now, he is blaming all this on the economic policies of the democrats.
    He's talking about the protesters being driven by anger due to poverty, and of course he plays the victim.

Free air time for Trump to make his case and talk about his policies.
    A victory for him.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

I've got no idea.

The 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago was a a disaster for the party. Google for details.

This is going to go 1 of 2 ways -

1) Trump's inflammatory language caused this. The liberal CNN view.

2) The protesters prevented exercise of free speech, and quite a few of them were there with malice aforethought to cause trouble. The Fox view, and Trump is on Fox News now saying "these people need jobs and hope, not a handout". He's sounding actually sympathetic to the protesters. Fox trumps (sorry couldn't resist) CNN many times over in terms of ratings.

My gut feel is that Trump will probably not be hurt by this. It all depends on what 'morning after' coverage is like.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

And Trump is speaking on Fox now, he is blaming all this on the economic policies of the democrats.
    He's talking about the protesters being driven by anger due to poverty, and of course he plays the victim.

Free air time for Trump to make his case and talk about his policies.
    A victory for him.

Goodnight.

Chicago has been mismanaged by decades. You can understand their anger and frustration - and the Democrats have run the place for decades.
  • Options
    01:26
    'Important moment in campaign'
    David Gergen, a former White House adviser who worked in both the Reagan and Clinton administrations, called the events in Chicago "the most important moment in the campaign". In an interview with CNN, he said:

"This could cost him (Mr Trump) the nomination. Or it could catapult him. This is very dangerous. The candidate must set the tone for his rallies. That's his responsibility. He has set a tone that encourages his supporters to go out and punch people and that attracts more and more protesters to his rallies. He has to go to the country tomorrow and make it clear that while he wants to have rallies, they must be peaceful, that people come in peace and people leave in peace."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12191882/Donald-Trump-cancels-Chicago-rally-amid-protests-live.html
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

01:26
    'Important moment in campaign'
    David Gergen, a former White House adviser who worked in both the Reagan and Clinton administrations, called the events in Chicago "the most important moment in the campaign". In an interview with CNN, he said:

"This could cost him (Mr Trump) the nomination. Or it could catapult him. This is very dangerous. The candidate must set the tone for his rallies. That's his responsibility. He has set a tone that encourages his supporters to go out and punch people and that attracts more and more protesters to his rallies. He has to go to the country tomorrow and make it clear that while he wants to have rallies, they must be peaceful, that people come in peace and people leave in peace."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12191882/Donald-Trump-cancels-Chicago-rally-amid-protests-live.html

Applying that logic, Hubert Humphrey was responsible for the 1968 convention debacle. Nonsense.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

She was criticized for lying about how she and Nancy started an HIV/AIDS dialog in the 80s. It's simply untrue, and it plays into her reputation for lying and dishonesty.

Mea culpa - but prescient.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Mea culpa - but prescient.
    No - president.

This discussion has been closed.