Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the United Kingdom is changing almost without comment

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I have finally got round to seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens and in my opinion it is the worst Star Wars movie so far. The Phantom Menace was significantly better. I think we have reached peak Star Wars.

Am seeing it tonight so no spoilers, however given Phantom Menace has only a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and The Force Awakens 95% you are in a minority. I would also be wary as today's Times reports Star Wars fans have issued death threats to any critic who gives the film a poor rating!
    Rotten Tomatoes produces some interesting ratings, such as Indiana Jones 4 scoring 78% and Die Hard 4 scoring 82%.
    If you are on around 50% or less on Rotten Tomatoes your film is pretty dire which shows how bad Phantom Menace was
    Actually the boundary between "Rotten" and "Fresh" is 55%
    Even on that it was only 1% above Rotten. Rotten Tomatoes gives Return of the Jedi 80% and Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back 94% making The Force Awakens the best Star Wars movie ever on its ratings as it gave it 95%
    Evidence that these ratings are just a wee bit dubious!

The Empire Strikes Back is easily the best in the saga.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Revenge of the Sith has 79% and Attack of the Clones 66%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I have finally got round to seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens and in my opinion it is the worst Star Wars movie so far. The Phantom Menace was significantly better. I think we have reached peak Star Wars.

Am seeing it tonight so no spoilers, however given Phantom Menace has only a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and The Force Awakens 95% you are in a minority. I would also be wary as today's Times reports Star Wars fans have issued death threats to any critic who gives the film a poor rating!
    Rotten Tomatoes produces some interesting ratings, such as Indiana Jones 4 scoring 78% and Die Hard 4 scoring 82%.
    If you are on around 50% or less on Rotten Tomatoes your film is pretty dire which shows how bad Phantom Menace was
    Even on that it was only 1% above Rotten. Rotten Tomatoes gives Return of the Jedi 80% and Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back 94% making The Force Awakens the best Star Wars movie ever on its ratings as it gave it 95%
    It'll dip a few over time no doubt, probably settle in the high 80s.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HL...Why do you want to spoil Reading..

I am not sure it is possible to spoil Reading. It has been a dump since Victorian times (see Jerome) if not longer. Whilst it is true that places like Basingstoke and Newbury are offering it serious competition in the places you really don't want to be stakes, Reading I think stands out in its awfulness.
    Come now. Slough, Didcot. Reading isn't even in the same division of the shitness championship.
    Keep your hands of Didcot. It is clearly not brilliant, it is indeed drab, but it is not a major destination city like Reading which is indeed pretty miserable in my experience. It does however have an enormous number of multi coloured buses, which I can only hope serve a useful purpose.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

This is pretty nice

This festive tube map will make you wish the Underground was open on Christmas Day https://t.co/0xX0RXjPIo https://t.co/vA5LG9FNIl

Very nice indeed :)
    Ahoy, Cap'n, Doc! I am trying to plan some rail journeys and am getting very confused by the prices being shown. For example, if I leave Hassocks on the 10:36, the fare to Lincoln is £28 but if I go on the 10:45, which gets in later, the fare is £85.50 and although a single fare might be £28 a return starts at £92.10). Do you know of a site that actually gives sensible and understandable information about fares.
    Mr Llama: have you tried the trainline website - https://www.thetrainline.com/?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

These are aggregate critic ratings I believe so and Force only just pipped Empire
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Wanderer said:

I am not sure it is possible to spoil Reading. It has been a dump since Victorian times (see Jerome) if not longer. Whilst it is true that places like Basingstoke and Newbury are offering it serious competition in the places you really don't want to be stakes, Reading I think stands out in its awfulness.
    Come now. Slough, Didcot. Reading isn't even in the same division of the shitness championship.
    Keep your hands of Didcot. It is clearly not brilliant, it is indeed drab, but it is not a major destination city like Reading which is indeed pretty miserable in my experience. It does however have an enormous number of multi coloured buses, which I can only hope serve a useful purpose.
    Oh please, Mr F. It has a Railway Centre with (perhaps) the only working Brunellian borad gauge railway and much else. Even if the power station is being demolished.

• Options

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

The prequels were plausible enough but we did not need 3 of them. They broached Tarrantino levels of slowness and set piece pointlessness.
    Indeed but they were all about money
  • Options
    Interesting thread leader article, thanks yet again.

The sentiments in the last para are very close to - and rather more clearly put than - my instant reaction - and continued views - on Mr Cameron's Vow and EVEL proposals.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I am going to be controversial and say ROTJ is the best SW movie. Jabba's palace, the sarlacc pit and the Battle of Endor were all great scenes.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This is pretty nice

This festive tube map will make you wish the Underground was open on Christmas Day https://t.co/0xX0RXjPIo https://t.co/vA5LG9FNIl

Very nice indeed :)
    Ahoy, Cap'n, Doc! I am trying to plan some rail journeys and am getting very confused by the prices being shown. For example, if I leave Hassocks on the 10:36, the fare to Lincoln is £28 but if I go on the 10:45, which gets in later, the fare is £85.50 and although a single fare might be £28 a return starts at £92.10). Do you know of a site that actually gives sensible and understandable information about fares.
    Mr Llama: have you tried the trainline website - https://www.thetrainline.com/?
    Advance fares same price = £28!
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I am going to be controversial and say ROTJ is the best SW movie. Jabba's palace, the sarlacc pit and the Battle of Endor were all great scenes.
    I agree with that, it was always my favourite.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Reading the comments on online newspapers, where did some people get the idea that they have an automatic right to travel to the United States and other countries? The US can pick and choose whom they allow in, just like any other country. They don't have to give a reason.

And equally, people have the right to express their disagreement with who the US bans from entering, no?
    8 years ago one of the adult brothers was prevented from entering Israel. It is not only the USA that chose not to allow access.
  • Options

Um, maybe his wife is called Isis (as in the Egyptian goddess)?
    Maybe he should start shouting 'the neighbours got hypersensitive hearing' to get his partner exited.
    or
    'the walls are too thin' to help himself.

Under no circumstances, 'we must look stupid'.
  • Options

Questions of north and south are redundant. As LuckyGuy83 wisely remarked earlier on, the only important division is between London and non-London.

I need your thoughts and other PBers thoughts on whether to by this jacket or not?

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/679700486409338880
    I think its pretty good. Motor cycle leathers are pretty garish these days and you will want to be seen.
  • Options
    A few films have managed to achieve 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, including such classics as Keith Lemon: The Film, Beethoven's 3rd, Jaws The Revenge, I'll Always know what you did last Summer and Police Academy 6: City Under Siege

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Yes, although that would still mean it is just above Return of the Jedi
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Wanderer said:

Oh please, Mr F. It has a Railway Centre with (perhaps) the only working Brunellian borad gauge railway and much else. Even if the power station is being demolished.

Aren't the broad gauge locos on static display?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Wanderer said:

Yes I've been round the railway centre. They film costume dramas there as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Unfairly maligned because of the Ewoks I suspect.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

These are aggregate critic ratings I believe so and Force only just pipped Empire
    The critics haven't seen Empire!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

The prequels were plausible enough but we did not need 3 of them. They broached Tarrantino levels of slowness and set piece pointlessness.
    Possibly. but they had an element of self indulgence about them and maybe a groping towards a proper dramatisation of the story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I agree with that, it was always my favourite.
    Leia's costume... :)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Would it be a bit early to wish people here a happy Xmas? Oh well - happy Xmas anyway.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

I think during 2015 I might have travelled something in the region of 900 miles of British rail routes that I had never previously done before.

You'll soon be running out if you keep up that rate!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Would it be a bit early to wish people here a happy Xmas? Oh well - happy Xmas anyway.

I think you can be forgiven just this once. - Merry Christmas Mr Omnium.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Omnium said:

Tory !!!!!!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Scott_P said:

Omnium said:

Tory !!!!!!
    Post of the year contender there Scott P, however I really am doing Xmas now :)

PS Thanks SSC :)
  • Options

I think during 2015 I might have travelled something in the region of 900 miles of British rail routes that I had never previously done before.

You'll soon be running out if you keep up that rate!
    Well, I've done most of the easy bits from a London and Birmingham perspective. Severely lacking in Southwest England, Northeast, Yorks, East Midlands, Wales and Scotland
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Reading the comments on online newspapers, where did some people get the idea that they have an automatic right to travel to the United States and other countries? The US can pick and choose whom they allow in, just like any other country. They don't have to give a reason.

And equally, people have the right to express their disagreement with who the US bans from entering, no?
    Yes but its a bit pissing in the wind. I don't see how it accomplishes anything other than make us look stupid. I saw an unconfmired report that Dave is going to take a look, he is as unthinking as always.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Lucas said the Ewoks v. Imperials battle was inspired by Vietnam
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

That was properly what did for it yes although it is a good movie for a rainy Sunday evening
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited December 2015
    Omnium said:

At least we know you're definitely NOT Jeremy "Scrooge" McCorbyn in disguise!!!!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Cyclefree said:

Why is anyone surprised that the man is a liar and a hypocrite? There's been plenty of evidence for that even before this, for those with eyes to see.

These are obviously unimportant shortcomings when assessing niceness
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Possibly. but they had an element of self indulgence about them and maybe a groping towards a proper dramatisation of the story.
    They also lacked humour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
    HYUFD not the same critics wot saw the new one!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    I was wondering when reading this thread whether I could make a case for the English Parliament being in....Dundee.

Ok, it is not actually in England but if Scotland ever goes independent that is something that a couple of lightly armoured land rovers will be able to fix.

In the meantime we have stunningly cheap housing making expenses claims much more reasonable, the distractions of St Andrews so our politicians can waste their time playing golf rather than doing more damaging things, truly awful air and rail links to London to prevent the whole culture reverting to being London centric as it is at the moment and an absolutely tiny BBC studio so politicians would no longer pollute the air waves to the same extent as they tend to do at the moment.

We are a little short of genuinely good restaurants (we have 2, arguably 3) but I am sure that an influx of politicians will soon be able to fix that (look at Brussels for goodness sake, the city that gave its name to the dullest vegetable on the planet). We will soon have a branch of the V&A for those cultural types that like to hang around politicians and a Repertory theatre with the only full time professional cast in Scotland (god knows what the others must be like). The local political culture is bracing (Freedom City) and should at least in theory be attractive to libertarians. Dundee was for many years twinned with Nablus so Corbyn would still have the chance to meet up with old pals.

Frankly guys, we could do with the money. Is it worth a bid?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS..Absolutely agree..but maybe the problem should have been tackled a little earlier..at Visa application time..

Better to be refused on the ground before you board than to be turned back at immigration in the US.

We probably need to know more, but I'd guess they hadn't got ESTAs before arriving at the airport (perhaps deliberately, perhaps accidentally), and when they tried to get them before boarding they were refused. (Sometimes it takes two minutes to get an ESTA, sometimes it can take a few days if you throw up red flags.)
    From the radio report I heard they had got the ESTAs before buying the plane tickets.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Omnium said:

OK thanks. But you should write Christmas.

• Options
    In an undoubtedly hopeless attempt to divert this thread away from (a) Star Wars; and (b) a jacket of such astonishing design - if that is the mot juste - that it is hard to imagine who deliberately made it like that, I will post this:-

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/steven-pinker-interview-western-intellectuals-and-journalists-must-promote-liberal-values/

and this passage in particular:-

"In spite of this positive view, however, Pinker does strike one important note of caution, which is to warn against giving succour to the enemies of the West by running down our achievements.

‘I think there is something that intellectuals can do – teachers, professors, pundits, journalists – and that is to back off the narrative in which all of the world’s evils are due to the West, to capitalism – the US, the UK and modern Western civilisation,’ he says. ‘That can feed a narrative at the margins among disaffected young people that the West is an enemy that must be slain. There certainly have been many crimes and injustices perpetrated by the West, and I don’t think we should try and hide that, but I do think we should champion the aspects of it that are praiseworthy – in particular, humanism, reason, science, logic and individual human rights.’"

There may be a decrease in violence in the world but there is no rest for me in the City this Xmas, hence working away here in a valiant attempt to avoid being disturbed over the break. The Turkish regulators are my current bête noire......

• Options
    ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/nhrep.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The USA..like any other country, can cancel a visa at any time it likes..for whatever reason..just the way it is..
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS..Absolutely agree..but maybe the problem should have been tackled a little earlier..at Visa application time..

Better to be refused on the ground before you board than to be turned back at immigration in the US.

We probably need to know more, but I'd guess they hadn't got ESTAs before arriving at the airport (perhaps deliberately, perhaps accidentally), and when they tried to get them before boarding they were refused. (Sometimes it takes two minutes to get an ESTA, sometimes it can take a few days if you throw up red flags.)
    From the radio report I heard they had got the ESTAs before buying the plane tickets.
    When you get an ESTA I believe it says that the fact of having one does not guarantee entry into the US. Most people miss that bit.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
    As many of them will now be dead not surprising, anyway now off to see the film for myself
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In an undoubtedly hopeless attempt to divert this thread away from (a) Star Wars; and (b) a jacket of such astonishing design - if that is the mot juste - that it is hard to imagine who deliberately made it like that, I will post this:-

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/steven-pinker-interview-western-intellectuals-and-journalists-must-promote-liberal-values/

"In spite of this positive view, however, Pinker does strike one important note of caution, which is to warn against giving succour to the enemies of the West by running down our achievements.

‘I think there is something that intellectuals can do – teachers, professors, pundits, journalists – and that is to back off the narrative in which all of the world’s evils are due to the West, to capitalism – the US, the UK and modern Western civilisation,’ he says. ‘That can feed a narrative at the margins among disaffected young people that the West is an enemy that must be slain. There certainly have been many crimes and injustices perpetrated by the West, and I don’t think we should try and hide that, but I do think we should champion the aspects of it that are praiseworthy – in particular, humanism, reason, science, logic and individual human rights.’"

There may be a decrease in violence in the world but there is no rest for me in the City this Xmas, hence working away here in a valiant attempt to avoid being disturbed over the break. The Turkish regulators are my current bête noire......

"Turkish regulators" ? Is that in the finance sector?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I was wondering when reading this thread whether I could make a case for the English Parliament being in....Dundee.

Ok, it is not actually in England but if Scotland ever goes independent that is something that a couple of lightly armoured land rovers will be able to fix.

In the meantime we have stunningly cheap housing making expenses claims much more reasonable, the distractions of St Andrews so our politicians can waste their time playing golf rather than doing more damaging things, truly awful air and rail links to London to prevent the whole culture reverting to being London centric as it is at the moment and an absolutely tiny BBC studio so politicians would no longer pollute the air waves to the same extent as they tend to do at the moment.

We are a little short of genuinely good restaurants (we have 2, arguably 3) but I am sure that an influx of politicians will soon be able to fix that (look at Brussels for goodness sake, the city that gave its name to the dullest vegetable on the planet). We will soon have a branch of the V&A for those cultural types that like to hang around politicians and a Repertory theatre with the only full time professional cast in Scotland (god knows what the others must be like). The local political culture is bracing (Freedom City) and should at least in theory be attractive to libertarians. Dundee was for many years twinned with Nablus so Corbyn would still have the chance to meet up with old pals.

On that basis, the West Coast of Cumbria has an even better claim to this. It too could do with the money. Politicians could be sent off for long bracing walks in the hills or along the coast. There are plenty of good restaurants; the Ulverston music festival is good as is the Holker Garden Festival. Cartmel has good racing. Millom has a history of integrating Eastern European immigrants and has one of the best fashion shops in the UK. It is also associated with a poet and a painter. And comedians regularly do their pre-tour tours here. Plus the Xmas Panto in Kendal is wonderful. And the people are full of bracing good sense.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes - they seem to be adopting the Red Queen approach to enforcement. Sentence first, trial later. :)

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

On that basis, the West Coast of Cumbria has an even better claim to this. It too could do with the money. Politicians could be sent off for long bracing walks in the hills or along the coast. There are plenty of good restaurants; the Ulverston music festival is good as is the Holker Garden Festival. Cartmel has good racing. Millom has a history of integrating Eastern European immigrants and has one of the best fashion shops in the UK. It is also associated with a poet and a painter. And comedians regularly do their pre-tour tours here. Plus the Xmas Panto in Kendal is wonderful. And the people are full of bracing good sense.
    Yeah but I am never going to match Bunnco as the man on the spot if they go there. And it is much too nice for political types anyway. Dundee really doesn't have these problems.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

If Cruz wins Iowa and Rubio New Hampshire... Trump could be over before he starts...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Yes but its a bit pissing in the wind. I don't see how it accomplishes anything other than make us look stupid. I saw an unconfmired report that Dave is going to take a look, he is as unthinking as always.
    He will take an incredibly quick look and move on... Taking a look is like doing something. Only without the doing something.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Yeah but I am never going to match Bunnco as the man on the spot if they go there. And it is much too nice for political types anyway. Dundee really doesn't have these problems.
    True enough - but in the spirit of diversity - how about a Woman on the Spot? Plus we will soon put the politicians in their place.

Or we could do a job share - it would be very European of us!

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

He will take an incredibly quick look and move on... Taking a look is like doing something. Only without the doing something.
    You Mr Smithson are turning into a cynic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

True enough - but in the spirit of diversity - how about a Woman on the Spot? Plus we will soon put the politicians in their place.

Or we could do a job share - it would be very European of us!

I really don't approve of the EU Parliament having 2 separate bases at huge public expense. But if that was all that was on offer....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Blackpool - it desperately needs the cash injection, has good motorway links, Blackpool rock and the illuminations. It also has trams, so there's your climate change nod.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    perdix said:

Omnium said:

χρmas

I remember getting a religious badge in cubs. It was called a cairo badge It was a Rho over a Chi. Well over 60 years ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

If Cruz wins Iowa and Rubio New Hampshire... Trump could be over before he starts...
    If being the operative word and ARG polls are by no means a gold standard and even this poll still has Trump ahead
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Barnesian said:

perdix said:

Omnium said:

χρmas

I remember getting a religious badge in cubs. It was called a cairo badge It was a Rho over a Chi. Well over 60 years ago.
    Chirhomas. Close enough :D
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Blackpool - it desperately needs the cash injection, has good motorway links, Blackpool rock and the illuminations. It also has trams, so there's your climate change nod.
    And there is the stick of rock analogy for any sex scandals or even for an authentic politician if we ever find one. I feel I am losing ground here. On the other hand it is dangerously close to Liverpool.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Politicians already hang out there. No - it needs to be somewhere where they never go, where London seems very very far away and where the people have strong bullshit detectors.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

In the same way that Obama gives a speech or an interview about a subject then moves on, without doing something.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

If being the operative word and ARG polls are by no means a gold standard and even this poll still has Trump ahead
    Quite startling score for Kasich.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - they seem to be adopting the Red Queen approach to enforcement. Sentence first, trial later. :)
    That sadly does not surprise me. I don't suppose you have anything to do with the Financial Inspection Board? (I understand if you cannot say).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Politicians already hang out there. No - it needs to be somewhere where they never go, where London seems very very far away and where the people have strong bullshit detectors.

There's always Harrogate. Spa town, lots of hotel accommodation, conference center.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

In most polls he is lower but this is his best bet in the early stages
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

And there is the stick of rock analogy for any sex scandals or even for an authentic politician if we ever find one. I feel I am losing ground here. On the other hand it is dangerously close to Liverpool.
    Yes but Cumbria can do the "in deep water", "sinking without trace", "over the hill", "a mountain to climb" analogies without breaking sweat. The newspaper headlines will simply write themselves.

And imagine Corbyn at the late summer farm shows........

Cumbria should get the Lib Dem vote.

• Options
    By the way @Cyclefree in a newssheet I received today it was stated that women finally make up the majority of lawyers in Scotland. I am frankly surprised it has taken this long. The last group of Diploma students I showed around Parliament House had something like 16 girls and 2 boys.

I seriously hope that all these feminist/diversity types writing sociology at great public expense in our Universities are thinking ahead and planning their switch of tracks. With women under 40 having no wage differential despite being those of child bearing age there is a risk they will look even more ridiculous than they do already.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

In the same way that Obama gives a speech or an interview about a subject then moves on, without doing something.
    Isn't that pretty much all politicians? Hashtags and speeches instead of actual action.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

There's always Harrogate. Spa town, lots of hotel accommodation, conference center.
    Careful! You'll set @Morris_Dancer off again.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That sadly does not surprise me. I don't suppose you have anything to do with the Financial Inspection Board? (I understand if you cannot say).
    No - not them. Not yet (anyway). Not ever, I hope.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I can't think of Liverpool without thinking of Little Jimmy Osmond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriPIujLtsA
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @RobD it would be Chr.mas not Chirhomas. Chi-Rho was just an abbreviation of the Greek word "Christ" meaning approximately the same as "Messiah"

@rcs1000 I doubt that Cameron will even take a look. It was just his spokesman coming up with a polite way to tell a journalist to f*** off, it being the season of peace'n'joy and all that jazz
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

The English parliament should sit at Christ Church, Oxford, where the Royalist parliament sat during the Civil War.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

Yes. I don't think he's been above 10% though, at least not lately. Still, it's not a crazy number, I guess. (I'm quite suspicious of this poll.)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't that pretty much all politicians? Hashtags and speeches instead of actual action.
    I wish I could disagree. If - God help us all - Trump gets elected it might change, but I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

Yes. I don't think he's been above 10% though, at least not lately. Still, it's not a crazy number, I guess. (I'm quite suspicious of this poll.)
    Will await more polls anyway now about to watch Star Wars
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I can't think of Liverpool without thinking of Little Jimmy Osmond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriPIujLtsA
    I rest my case.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
    As many of them will now be dead not surprising, anyway now off to see the film for myself
    It's basically remake of a previous episode - but won't say which :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

By the way @Cyclefree in a newssheet I received today it was stated that women finally make up the majority of lawyers in Scotland. I am frankly surprised it has taken this long. The last group of Diploma students I showed around Parliament House had something like 16 girls and 2 boys.

I seriously hope that all these feminist/diversity types writing sociology at great public expense in our Universities are thinking ahead and planning their switch of tracks. With women under 40 having no wage differential despite being those of child bearing age there is a risk they will look even more ridiculous than they do already.

Life is too short, IMO, to pay any attention to sociology garbage.

I do hope that students choosing law do so for the right reasons - because they have an aptitude and temperament for it and because at some level there is some passion for it. If you do it just because it's a nice well paid middle class occupation you will die a death of a thousand cuts by the time you're middle aged.

But I tend to value passion and genuine interest quite highly: it's what sustains you through the tough times in any profession and keeps you doing even the dross stuff. Practising law - and why you are doing it - has to matter to you in some way, over and above the money and such status as there is. Here I've seen too many people burnt out by their late 30's from the hard work and failure to get partnership and wondering why the hell they did it.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Somewhat related, but I do enjoy the fact that the regulatory body for finance in the UK is called the FCA. Now only if they would hire a liquidator with the surname Brunt.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@RobD it would be Chr.mas not Chirhomas. Chi-Rho was just an abbreviation of the Greek word "Christ" meaning approximately the same as "Messiah"

@rcs1000 I doubt that Cameron will even take a look. It was just his spokesman coming up with a polite way to tell a journalist to f*** off, it being the season of peace'n'joy and all that jazz

Ah, I didn't know that.. thanks!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I do hope that students choosing law do so for the right reasons - because they have an aptitude and temperament for it and because at some level there is some passion for it. If you do it just because it's a nice well paid middle class occupation you will die a death of a thousand cuts by the time you're middle aged.

But I tend to value passion and genuine interest quite highly: it's what sustains you through the tough times in any profession and keeps you doing even the dross stuff. Practising law - and why you are doing it - has to matter to you in some way, over and above the money and such status as there is. Here I've seen too many people burnt out by their late 30's from the hard work and failure to get partnership and wondering why the hell they did it.
    Interesting. I have always found law to be really dull, unlike, say, economics or even politics. When I want to annoy my colleagues I call it a "techie" subject, something that should be taught at technical school rather than a high falutting university course.

I like the people and I like finding practical solutions to real problems, ideally those that work for both parties because they are an easier sell, but pure law is just up itself and far too much like sociology or philosophy for my tastes or intellect.

As I get older and more decrepit I sometimes think the rather basic business advice I hand out is at least as useful as my knowledge of the law, arguably much more so. That and the ability to give a fresh eye to a problem where the parties have become so entrenched they can no longer see the wood for the trees. The fact it is becoming such a prettier profession is not bad news either.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Rockall would be a better solution.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Back in the late 60s, they had something called 'articled' (?) where you work for an attorney firm and then take the exam. I was going to work for the firm of a friend of my father in Yorkshire. At the last minute I got a job offer (I was 17) from IBM in London. Dales vs London at 17? No brainer. IBM it was.

Today that firm is still my family's UK attorney, and my daughter (who works in the legal profession) swears I'm the best cross-examiner she's ever met. When she was younger and got into trouble or didn't want to talk about a boyfriend, she knew when I sat down with her that I would get to the truth eventually.

There's a cross-over between I.T. and the law - they're both based on logic and deduction.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Sweet Rockall ;)
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

It would settle any territorial disputes.
  • Options
    JC = LVG - CV
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Back in the late 60s, they had something called 'articled' (?) where you work for an attorney firm and then take the exam. I was going to work for the firm of a friend of my father in Yorkshire. At the last minute I got a job offer (I was 17) from IBM in London. Dales vs London at 17? No brainer. IBM it was.

Today that firm is still my family's UK attorney, and my daughter (who works in the legal profession) swears I'm the best cross-examiner she's ever met. When she was younger and got into trouble or didn't want to talk about a boyfriend, she knew when I sat down with her that I would get to the truth eventually.

There's a cross-over between I.T. and the law - they're both based on logic and deduction.
    Some of the very best lawyers, Denning and MacKay of Clashfern, had first degrees in pure mathematics so you may be on to something. If I enjoy one aspect of my job it is probably cross. It is so rarely that you get to be that rude to someone in the real world.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Carnyx said:

Wanderer said:

Aren't the broad gauge locos on static display?
    Dunno. It's been so long since I went that I am thinking of visiting an (unfortunate) chum who lives near Reading.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
    Damn - you've spoiled it for me! ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Wetherby would be better. Good road access and a fantastic fish and chip joint - the Wetherby Whaler. Or Hampsthwaite - good pub and it couldn't offend anyone.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Wetherby would be better. Good road access and a fantastic fish and chip joint - the Wetherby Whaler. Or Hampsthwaite - good pub and it couldn't offend anyone.
    Do either pub seat 650 MPs, 900+ Lords and many many hacks? :D
  • Options
    murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They gave it 94%
    Damn - you've spoiled it for me! ;)
    Meesa avenge you, Ani!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Interesting. I have always found law to be really dull, unlike, say, economics or even politics. When I want to annoy my colleagues I call it a "techie" subject, something that should be taught at technical school rather than a high falutting university course.

I like the people and I like finding practical solutions to real problems, ideally those that work for both parties because they are an easier sell, but pure law is just up itself and far too much like sociology or philosophy for my tastes or intellect.

As I get older and more decrepit I sometimes think the rather basic business advice I hand out is at least as useful as my knowledge of the law, arguably much more so. That and the ability to give a fresh eye to a problem where the parties have become so entrenched they can no longer see the wood for the trees. The fact it is becoming such a prettier profession is not bad news either.
    I came to law through two routes: the first was the philosophical one via my political philosophy course. Why do people obey laws? The balance between the sovereign and people. What is the rule of law? Should law enforce morality etc etc? And I still find that fascinating. Plus I like understanding the way the laws of a country reflect how that country sees power, how it reflects a country's culture (and shapes it) and how its people view themselves.

And the other route was the practical: the reason why I became - after my stint in government - a litigator: the fact that my legal skills help me sort out problems, which I find very interesting and satisfying. Law is like plumbing for the middle classes. It's a craft, a trade, which helps you resolve an issue. It helps you cut through to the heart of matters. I also find it quite creative - but that probably reflects my approach to it. I practise law but do not consider myself to be a lawyer in the sense that it is only part of what I am, professionally and personally. Some people's identity can be very defined by their profession.

The actual ins and outs of this or that Act mean very little to me, to be honest.

When I was young I wanted to be an investigative journalist and in a strange sort of way that is what I have been doing all these years: investigating and writing about what I find. Investigation is an art as much as a science - though I agree with @Tim B that there is a lot of logic - but there is also a great deal of emotional intelligence and instinct and judgment involved in assessing people and in getting a sense about what is going on between the lines.

• Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

Tim_B said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Do either pub seat 650 MPs, 900+ Lords and many many hacks? :D
    Too many unelected Lords!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Some of the best lawyers I've known did not go to university and if they did it's usually best to study anything other than law. But that too is changing, which is a pity.

Still, re the comparison between IT and law: practitioners of both can - unless checked - talk incomprehensible jargon and rubbish!
  • Options

Too many unelected Lords!

Too many life peers. Not enough hereditaries ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tim_B said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Some of the very best lawyers, Denning and MacKay of Clashfern, had first degrees in pure mathematics so you may be on to something. If I enjoy one aspect of my job it is probably cross. It is so rarely that you get to be that rude to someone in the real world.
    From some website or other: "An unlikely piece of British legal history occurred in what is now referred to as the "case" of Arkell v. Pressdram (1971).

The plaintiff was the subject of an article relating to illicit payments, and the magazine had ample evidence to back up the article. Arkell's lawyers wrote a letter which concluded: "His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply."

The magazine's response was, in full: "We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr J. Arkell.

We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: fuck off."

In the years following, the magazine would refer to this exchange as a euphemism for a blunt and coarse dismissal: for example, "We refer you to the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram".

As with "tired and emotional" this usage has spread beyond the magazine."

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ARG GOP New Hampshire
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 15%
    Kasich – 13%
    Christie – 12%
    Cruz – 10%
    Bush – 7%
    Carson – 6%
    Fiorina – 5%
    Paul – 4%
    Huckabee – *
    Pataki – *
    Santorum – *
    Gilmore – 0%
    Undecided – 5%

If Cruz wins Iowa and Trump New Hampshire... Rubio could be over before he starts...
  • Options
    New thread guys. Its really quiet over there....too quiet.
This discussion has been closed.