Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s one big hope is that the Tories will tear themselves

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s one big hope is that the Tories will tear themselves apart over the EU

The Tories have a long history of tearing themselves apart over Europe. Who can forget how in the weeks after John Major’s sensational election victory in 1992 huge fault lines started to develop in the party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Morning all.

What’s the post EURef blue team going to be like?

Much the same as the pre EURef team I'd imagine - as long as it’s a free vote for MPs.

1st.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I find it strange that even among politicos on here there's this misconception of how the referendum will decide who governs us, it won't. The most likely event is that we Remain, in which case Cameron rides off into the sunset and the Tories get a new leader, no idea who.

If we Leave Cameron will scurry off with his tail between his legs and the Tories get a new leader, no idea who.

Then in 2020 the Tories and Labour will scrap it out as usual with the SNP winning all of Scotland and the Libs and UKIP being marginalised.

The referendum will alter the parameters of how we're governed, not change people's mind about who should be doing it. At the Euros and by elections people took the opportunity to vote UKIP then returned to the flock, nothing will change at General Elections.

• Options
    Incidentally there's a gift for Leave on the front page of The Times this morning, 55,000 EU officials are to be given a christmas bonus.

I'm sure we all agree that's money well spent and that a bonus for these essential workers should be prioritised over spending on heath care, provision for refugees and aid for the flood victims in Carlisle.

55,000 people, the size of a provincial town, and otherwise rational people will be voting to remain part of it. I'm hoping the Inners on here will attempt to justify this criminal waste of taxpayer's money.
  • Options
    Hague - Why I will be voting to stay in Europe.

Summary: - The EU is profligate, lacks democratic accountability and on the whole pretty rubbish, but Scotland might leave the UK if we leave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12064244/Why-I-will-be-voting-to-stay-in-Europe.html
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015

Summary: - The EU is profligate, lacks democratic accountability and on the whole pretty rubbish, but Scotland might leave the UK if we leave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12064244/Why-I-will-be-voting-to-stay-in-Europe.html

... and its important for us to sacrifice British sovereignty so that emerging Central European states stand a chance of turning into nice places - its a view I suppose

It was rather reminiscent of Major's speech earlier in the week which sounds like a collection of weak reasons to stay and stronger reasons to leave, despite his intention.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    This from the Hague article is thoroughly patronizing:

"For me, there will be two other major factors, which have not yet featured much in the early jousting ahead of the referendum, but which cannot be ignored. One is that, amid all the clumsy bureaucracy and failed ideas, the EU has provided the structure and the standards for new democracies across central Europe to establish themselves after their many decades of tyranny and tragedy."
  • Options
    Just thinking about when this referendum will happen, I see that the Scottish referendum was announced on 21 March, 2013 - some 18 months before the vote. I'm far from convinced that the EU vote will be held in 2016.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015

Incidentally there's a gift for Leave on the front page of The Times this morning, 55,000 EU officials are to be given a christmas bonus.

I'm sure we all agree that's money well spent and that a bonus for these essential workers should be prioritised over spending on heath care, provision for refugees and aid for the flood victims in Carlisle.

55,000 people, the size of a provincial town, and otherwise rational people will be voting to remain part of it. I'm hoping the Inners on here will attempt to justify this criminal waste of taxpayer's money.

I dunno. I, like 99.75% of the population neither buy the times or subscribe, so I can't actually read the article. But from the paragraph an a half I get for free, I can just about make out that the EU has 55,000 staff and they get paid at Christmas. And that they got a 2.4% pay rise this year.

If that's all there is, it'll enrage a few senile kippers while everyone else just shrugs their shoulders.

Is your expectation that the translators & whatever shouldn't get paid at christmas? Or is it the 2.4% payrise that is so outrageous?
  • Options
    Pong said:

I dunno. I, like 99.75% of the population neither buy the times or subscribe, so I can't actually read the article. But from the paragraph an a half I get for free, I can just about make out that the EU has 55,000 staff and they get paid at Christmas. And that they got a 2.4% pay rise this year.

If that's all there is, it'll enrage a few senile kippers while everyone else just shrugs their shoulders.

Is your expectation that the translators & whatever shouldn't get paid at christmas? Or is it the 2.4% payrise that is so outrageous?
    "A few senile kippers".

For somebody who writes such lucid articles your level of debate rarely rises above that of a teenager which I find surprising. I'm reasonably sure the front page of the The Times isn't targeting "a few senile kippers", but well done, you crowbarred it in.

The 2.4% was paid as a lump sum, it amounted to £74m, you clearly consider it money well spent, I don't, for reasons I've already pointed out.

• Options

Pathetic. But Hague hasn't been himself for the last 14 years.

He's a senior Conservative statesman, but now more of a party grandee and more Majorite than Thatcherite.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Morning all.

Much the same as the pre EURef team I'd imagine - as long as it’s a free vote for MPs.

1st.

No it is not. The Tories are going to have a bitter split over an issue in which passions run high. All the other parties will be united, even the fissile kippers. Something that both Kendallites and Corbynites can agree on is that Britain should Remain in the EU.

• Options

He's a senior Conservative statesman, but now more of a party grandee and more Majorite than Thatcherite.
    I like Hague but he never became the man he thought he would, perhaps because he used to drink 20 pints a day aged 12 delivering beer on his Dad's dray cart.

If ever an attempt at portraying yourself as a tough Northern lad backfired it was that, especially at a time when he used to roll around on a carpet with Seb Coe.

• Options
    edited December 2015

It's all a bit reminiscent of Merkel.

She want to subordinate Germany's national interests to the benefit a a endless sea of economic migrants to atone for Second World War guilt.

Hague wants to subordinate our national interests to the benefit of various emerging Central European Nations to atone for colonial guilt.

It's not just on the left that people are embarrassed to be British is seems.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

No it is not. The Tories are going to have a bitter split over an issue in which passions run high. All the other parties will be united, even the fissile kippers. Something that both Kendallites and Corbynites can agree on is that Britain should Remain in the EU.

Corbynites? I thought he was a bit of a Eurosceptic.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Pong said:

"A few senile kippers".

For somebody who writes such lucid articles your level of debate rarely rises above that of a teenager which I find surprising. I'm reasonably sure the front page of the The Times isn't targeting "a few senile kippers", but well done, you crowbarred it in.

The 2.4% was paid as a lump sum, it amounted to £74m, you clearly consider it money well spent, I don't, for reasons I've already pointed out.

2.4% bonus paid as a lump sum is quite modest. Many Brits will get similar ones, whether working in the city or in John Lewis.

Considering the size of its institutions and budget, the euro-civil service is a very reasonable size.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This from the Hague article is thoroughly patronizing:

"For me, there will be two other major factors, which have not yet featured much in the early jousting ahead of the referendum, but which cannot be ignored. One is that, amid all the clumsy bureaucracy and failed ideas, the EU has provided the structure and the standards for new democracies across central Europe to establish themselves after their many decades of tyranny and tragedy."

Patronizing is probably too strong a word IMHO, Hague is correct that the EU has provided a relatively stable political infrastructure for many of the former Soviet countries and those that have recently experienced dictatorships. – Where he losses the point though is that these are reasons for those countries to remain, if they choose to, not the UK.
  • Options

Pong said:

"A few senile kippers".

2.4% bonus paid as a lump sum is quite modest. Many Brits will get similar ones, whether working in the city or in John Lewis.

Considering the size of its institutions and budget, the euro-civil service is a very reasonable size.
    Yes those publicly employed people in the city and John Lewis.

I don't know what you do for a job but I'll take short odds you work in the public sector.

• Options

Morning all.

1st.

Define split. – do you think the Tories will physically split over the EU as Labour did when the SDP broke away, or do you mean there will be lots of grumbling from the 1922 committee?
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-agrees-to-join-labours-campaign-to-keep-britain-in-european-union-a6735011.html

Every member of the Shadow cabinet including Corbyn has signed up to Labours Remain campaign, and all but a handful of backbenchers. The only hesitation is if Cameron tries to water down workers rights (and he seems to have abandoned this) Labour wants to stay in on current terms, and does not agree with "renegotion".

Labour splitting on the subject is a bizarre BOOer fantasy. SNP, Plaid, the NI parties, LDs and Greens are all onside too. The only significant Outers will be the kippers under Mr Farage and about half of the Tory party.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-agrees-to-join-labours-campaign-to-keep-britain-in-european-union-a6735011.html

Every member of the Shadow cabinet including Corbyn has signed up to Labours Remain campaign, and all but a handful of backbenchers. The only hesitation is if Cameron tries to water down workers rights (and he seems to have abandoned this) Labour wants to stay in on current terms, and does not agree with "renegotion".

Labour splitting on the subject is a bizarre BOOer fantasy. SNP, Plaid, the NI parties, LDs and Greens are all onside too. The only significant Outers will be the kippers under Mr Farage and about half of the Tory party.
    Thanks for this.

I was with a director of Labour Leave, he takes the opposite view to yours, but I suppose he would. The union leader Bob Crow was vehemently anti EU.

• Options

Pong said:

"A few senile kippers".

I don't know what you do for a job but I'll take short odds you work in the public sector.

I am a Consultant in the NHS. My Christmas bonus was a free lunch that I could not attend due to an overbooked clinic.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

Define split. – do you think the Tories will physically split over the EU as Labour did when the SDP broke away, or do you mean there will be lots of grumbling from the 1922 committee?
    I do not expect the Tories to split into two parties, but the arguments are going to be an internal one for Tory members and voters. They are the only split party, all the others have unified positions.

This referendum is happening as a result of internal Conservative issues, and as we have seen in Scotland referendums are not very good at resolving those passions.
  • Options

Pong said:

"A few senile kippers".

I am a Consultant in the NHS. My Christmas bonus was a free lunch that I could not attend due to an overbooked clinic.
    Well done you, I seem to remember you talking about NHS funding, at least you now know where the money's going.

And that "free lunch", could that money be better spent elsewhere?

People generally talk about the lower paid and benefit scroungers when discussing an entitlement culture.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Morning all.

1st.

None of it matters while Corbyn leads Labour. The Conservatives are the only show in town, split or not.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

Thanks for this.

I was with a director of Labour Leave, he takes the opposite view to yours, but I suppose he would. The union leader Bob Crow was vehemently anti EU.

Bob Crow has been dead for nearly two years, was never a member of the Labour party, being a Communist before helping form the TUSC.

His No2EU left wing anti EU campaign group got insignificant support in the Euro-elections. There is no substantial anti-EU block on the left. Just the Kippers and half the Blues.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

Thanks for this.

Bob Crow has been dead for nearly two years, was never a member of the Labour party, being a Communist before helping form the TUSC.

His No2EU left wing anti EU campaign group got insignificant support in the Euro-elections. There is no substantial anti-EU block on the left. Just the Kippers and half the Blues.
    It's actually turning out to be more simplistic than that, the money tree shakers want to remain, the realists want to leave, rosette colour is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

None of it matters while Corbyn leads Labour. The Conservatives are the only show in town, split or not.
    I would agree. There is only one party left standing in England at the end of 2015. Quite possible to have none left standing by the end of 2016 though! Never doubt the stupidity of the Tories over Europe.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Morning all.

1st.

Thanks for this.

It's actually turning out to be more simplistic than that, the money tree shakers want to remain, the realists want to leave, rosette colour is irrelevant.
    And that attitude will be part of the reason why 'leave' loses.
  • Options

Hague is an example of a child star who grew up to an ugly and embarrassing adulthood.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

She want to subordinate Germany's national interests to the benefit a a endless sea of economic migrants to atone for Second World War guilt.

Hague wants to subordinate our national interests to the benefit of various emerging Central European Nations to atone for colonial guilt.

I don't think Hague is animated much by colonial guilt. I just think he's bought the establishment Foreign Office view of the EU hook, line and sinker.

I really would like to hear more from cabinet ministers who've grown *more* eurosceptic in office.

It seems that, in Conservative circles at least, the party becomes ever more eurosceptic when in opposition only for the line to be redrawn as soon as an election is won, and no further progress or development in its thinking is made as soon as they take power.
  • Options

After this level of ra-ra for the Remainers are you going to be the new IOS if the Leavers win ;)

• Options

Morning all.

1st.

No, not split. But there will be an awful lot of recrimination if SeanT's prophecy comes to pass and the EU starts doing outrageous things as soon as the UK is safely confirmed as "Remain" again. Which I personally think (sadly) isn't unlikely.

That would not be good for Osborne, for instance.
  • Options

Well done you, I seem to remember you talking about NHS funding, at least you now know where the money's going.

People generally talk about the lower paid and benefit scroungers when discussing an entitlement culture.
    I don't understand why people get so arsey about public sector staff getting treated at Christmas.

The majority of the private sector does this, and the tax man even allows you to spend a certain amount of money tax free. The cost is absolutely minimal but can have a hugely disproportionate positive effect on staff morale etc. In short, thoroughly good value for money.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

I agree that, in order to win, Leave need more than just UKIP and the BOO'ers in the Tory party.

It needs to become a genuine mass-movement with cross-party and apolitical support.
  • Options

Morning all.

1st.

Thanks for this.

It'll be the opposite, you think conservative voters are going to read the Times this morning and raise a glass to those poor EU bureaucrats?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

No, not split. But there will be an awful lot of recrimination if SeanT's prophecy comes to pass and the EU starts doing outrageous things as soon as the UK is safely confirmed as "Remain" again. Which I personally think (sadly) isn't unlikely.

I predicate a summer of vast numbers of economic migrants next year, followed by mandatory quotas for accepting migrants across the EU soon after the referendum. At this point even Corbyn might stand a chance at the next GE, and the EU elite get their revenge on Cameron and Co for being awkward whilst simultaneously signalling their virtue, what is not to like about it for them.

Consider the headlines "Britain forced to accept 250,000 migrants due to Tory renegotiation stitch-up" ;)
  • Options

Indigo said:

I don't think Hague is animated much by colonial guilt. I just think he's bought the establishment Foreign Office view of the EU hook, line and sinker.

I really would like to hear more from cabinet ministers who've grown *more* eurosceptic in office.

It seems that, in Conservative circles at least, the party becomes ever more eurosceptic when in opposition only for the line to be redrawn as soon as an election is won, and no further progress or development in its thinking is made as soon as they take power.
    EU membership requires various democratic reforms and social policies. The former Soviet satelites that are now established democracies are not exclusively down to the EU, but it was certainly a major part.

The applicant status of the remaining Non-EU countries in the Balkans and Eastern Europe is a powerful driver towards democracy and the rule of law in those states.

We should be proud of our role in this transformation. John Major was always a supporter of a wider rather than deeper European Union.
  • Options

Indigo said:

It wasn't that. I think he was burned by the 2001 general election.

He made the EU/The Euro the focus and the public weren't interested.

He took the view the Tories need to talk about other stuff.
  • Options

Indigo said:

It wasn't that. I think he was burned by the 2001 general election.

He made the EU/The Euro the focus and the public weren't interested.

He took the view the Tories need to talk about other stuff.
    Yes, I know. As I said downthread he hasn't been the same for the last 14 years.

But I do think he's become very establishment on the EU, and hasn't devoted too much real thinking to the subject since.
  • Options

We should be proud of our role in this transformation. John Major was always a supporter of a wider rather than deeper European Union.

We can be proud of our role in that transformation without seeing it as a reason to need to barter away our countries sovereignty.
  • Options

Indigo said:

EU membership requires various democratic reforms and social policies. The former Soviet satelites that are now established democracies are not exclusively down to the EU, but it was certainly a major part.

The applicant status of the remaining Non-EU countries in the Balkans and Eastern Europe is a powerful driver towards democracy and the rule of law in those states.

We've managed to get wider and deeper European Union. I remember at the time being told this was impossible with 28 member states.

I see no reason why we need to remain a member to support the development of nascent Eastern European democracies.
  • Options

It'll be the opposite, you think conservative voters are going to read the Times this morning and raise a glass to those poor EU bureaucrats?
    I was talking about your attitude, as shown by your post above. It's playground stuff: people who agree with your position are realists; those who disagree with your position are "money tree shakers"

You are speaking to the already-convinced and repelling the people who remain to be convinced. Sadly, it's the latter group you need to be talking to and attracting.

I can easily see how honourable, sensible and intelligent people could want to remain with no obvious direct advantage to themselves, just as I can see honourable, sensible and intelligent people wanting to leave with no obvious direct advantage to themselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Morning all.

1st.

I agree that, in order to win, Leave need more than just UKIP and the BOO'ers in the Tory party.

It needs to become a genuine mass-movement with cross-party and apolitical support.
    The Purples and half the Blues add up to about 30% of the electorate. While all the other parties are officially firmly in the Remain group, their voters are less certain. All have substantial minorities (even the LDs) who are unconvinced that staying in the EU is a good idea.

However the dominance of the Leave campaign by people such as Farage and the Owen Patersons of this world is likely to push these voters into the arms of Remain.

My own betting position is on Leave at 4/1 from last year, that was where the value was. As the odds shorten I expect to back out of that position.
  • Options

You are speaking to the already-convinced and repelling the people who remain to be convinced. Sadly, it's the latter group you need to be talking to and attracting.

Nah, he is talking here on PB, there is no "remain to be convinced" here, and not the slightest chance of changing anyone's views. There are just inners and outers now, even the "undecided" got their email from CCHQ last night telling them that Dave is now for IN regardless of the results of his renegotiation.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Nah, he is talking here on PB, there is no "remain to be convinced" here, and not the slightest chance of changing anyone's views. There are just inners and outers now, even the "undecided" got their email from CCHQ last night telling them that Dave is now for IN regardless of the results of his renegotiation.
    I'm undecided, although leaning towards leave. I daresay you won't believe me.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

However the dominance of the Leave campaign by people such as Farage and the Owen Patersons of this world is likely to push these voters into the arms of Remain.

I think that is wishful thinking. I doubt if the personalities on either side will have much to do with the end result. You may be right about the eventual outcome, but is going to be a "Jobs/Economy/Leftie Internationalism" vs "Whose country is this anyway" question in the mind of most of the public.

Lots of non-political people of my acquaintance have no interest in the campaign, probably wont follow the stories on the TV much, and will decide, if they haven't already on the basis of inter alia, the relative strengths of their internationalism vs their indignation about "what is happening to my country"

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Forlorn Labours pathetic forlorn hope..they have given upon being pro active...they just pray for something bad to happen to the Tories..Useless..
  • Options

Indigo said:

Maybe your email is running a bit slow today :D
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I think that is wishful thinking. I doubt if the personalities on either side will have much to do with the end result. You may be right about the eventual outcome, but is going to be a "Jobs/Economy/Leftie Internationalism" vs "Whose country is this anyway" question in the mind of most of the public.

Most of the public will not have the time or inclination to look into the issues too deeply: and if they did, there'd be so much conflicting 'evidence' they'd rapidly lose the will to live. Witness the EU threads on here. ;)

Hence many people will rely on what the media tells them and particularly the personalities involved.

For many people it'll become a question of who they trust most: e.g. Cameron or Corbyn versus Farage.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

To an extent, yes, but personalities are essential for communicating the message and getting out the vote. Farage repels twice as many as he attracts and motivates anti-kipper voters.

In many minds the answer to "Whose country is this anyway" is "Not Mr Farages!", particularly those on the centre and left of the political spectrum.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Yes, public sector workers should be worked into the ground - no perks, no incentives, no recognition. That is how they will be motivated to do their best work. (Recruitment crisis - what recruitment crisis?)

Of course if we are talking about private sector managers and directors, nothing is too good for them, remember they are a higher caste and must be catered to lest they leave the country and we are impoverished. Let them eat huge bonuses.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

For many people it'll become a question of who they trust most: e.g. Cameron or Corbyn versus Farage.

Through the immigration filter that would be unfortunate, one of those people said something about 10's of thousands. One of them said there was going to be an EU Army and was rubbished by all the other party leaders, and one of them takes tea with various extremists.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

From a blue perspective only, it'd be better for Leave to win. More unity that way.

If Remain wins, as I expect, it'll be interesting to see what lessons the PCP has learnt from both their own recent history and contemporary Labour strife.

Cameron could act as a useful lightning rod for discontent (useful because he's off soon), or it might be a case of the issue dominating the ensuing leadership campaign to the detriment of the party. Ultimately there are only two courses: stay in, or leave [the latter requiring another vote]. Endless bitching within the Conservative Party would only create division.

Leave, or leave not. There is no whining.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

I get more emails from Labour than I do the Conservatives. ;)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Of course if we are talking about private sector managers and directors, nothing is too good for them, remember they are a higher caste and must be catered to lest they leave the country and we are impoverished. Let them eat huge bonuses.

I don't have a dog in this fight particularly, I think both public and private sector workers should be treated decently, but the above is complete balderdash. What a private sector worker makes is between him and his management and shareholders, if they think he is worth the money, it is their money to give him. Shareholders tend to be tight fisted bastards, if they are paying someone X its because he is making them 2 or 3 times X.

The other issue is job security, to quote Jim Hacker: "You're in no danger of the sack.
    In industry if you screw up, you get the boot. In the civil service, if you screw up, I get the boot!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Through the immigration filter that would be unfortunate, one of those people said something about 10's of thousands. One of them said there was going to be an EU Army and was rubbished by all the other party leaders, and one of them takes tea with various extremists.
    Yes, but Farage has significant negatives as well. He is much-loved by his supporters, but is also hated by others. He's very much marmite, and sadly for him not enough people like him.

I've said all along that 'leave' would be better off with no Farage involvement.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Indigo said:

Freggles said:

I don't have a dog in this fight particularly, I think both public and private sector workers should be treated decently, but the above is complete balderdash. What a private sector worker makes is between him and his management and shareholders, if they think he is worth the money, it is their money to give him. Shareholders tend to be tight fisted bastards, if they are paying someone X its because he is making them 2 or 3 times X.

The other issue is job security, to quote Jim Hacker: "You're in no danger of the sack.
    In industry if you screw up, you get the boot. In the civil service, if you screw up, I get the boot!"
    Job security for the Civil service, police, fire service, local government or armed forces are history now. Even in the NHS it only exists because of major staff shortages.
  • Options
    I wonder if his decision not to retire this year has had a sad consequence. It's a shame; they seemed really comfortable together.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Cameron could act as a useful lightning rod for discontent (useful because he's off soon), or it might be a case of the issue dominating the ensuing leadership campaign to the detriment of the party. Ultimately there are only two courses: stay in, or leave [the latter requiring another vote]. Endless bitching within the Conservative Party would only create division.

That might have worked until it was put about that George was running the negotiation strategy, which in retrospect he might come to rue.

Every bit of EU idiocy in the next decade, and you can be there is a bath full of it being kept quiet until after the referendum (all sorts of embarrassments and cock-ups will have been kept under wraps for a year or so), will be dropped on the Tory leaderships lap by both the press and pissed off activists.

If there is some important business decision that happens to our detriment because we are outvoted by the Eurozone, or worse a mandatory quote for migrants, all hell is going to break loose and the finger is going to be pointed firmly at the Dave & George Show.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited December 2015
    Just seen Hague's comments. I think there's a real danger they might backfire:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35165720

If you're Scottish and want independence, the EU vote could be seen in the light of a new independence referendum.

If you're English and were less than thrilled with the bleating of the SNP (especially the ridiculous claim the pound could be kept within a currency union), it might be seen as a chance to help them out.

Die-hard pro-EU types are always going to vote for the EU. People who see themselves as very British are the likeliest to be changed by the prospect of the UK splitting, but they're also very likely to dislike Brussels as well.

I think that's a marginally helpful intervention for Leave. It won't shift too many votes, but I think most that do change will be to Leave.

Edited extra bit: forgot about the Borders [is it capitalised?]. They'll shift to Remain, if they shift at all, because a split would bugger up business and everyday life.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

That might have worked until it was put about that George was running the negotiation strategy, which in retrospect he might come to rue.

Every bit of EU idiocy in the next decade, and you can be there is a bath full of it being kept quiet until after the referendum (all sorts of embarrassments and cock-ups will have been kept under wraps for a year or so), will be dropped on the Tory leaderships lap by both the press and pissed off activists.

If there is some important business decision that happens to our detriment because we are outvoted by the Eurozone, or worse a mandatory quote for migrants, all hell is going to break loose and the finger is going to be pointed firmly at the Dave & George Show.
    Like I said. Only the Blues are split over Europe. Hell hath no fury like a kipper scorned.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Yes, but Farage has significant negatives as well. He is much-loved by his supporters, but is also hated by others. He's very much marmite, and sadly for him not enough people like him.

I've said all along that 'leave' would be better off with no Farage involvement.
    Oh I agree entirely, but the question wasn't who do you like, it was who do you believe, and Dave has a long and unfortunate history of whoppers, especially on immigration.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Morning all.

1st.

It would be hard for the Remain to marshal an argument against the EU doing things that we consider outrageous. After all, that's what Remain want us to sign up for.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I hope not. It might be the other way around (if things were rocky he may not have wanted to lose his wife and his job at the same time).

They did seem a good couple, and I'm a bit surprised.
  • Options

I wonder if his decision not to retire this year has had a sad consequence. It's a shame; they seemed really comfortable together.
    It's a shame. She's very pretty and I looked forward to her having a family with Jenson.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Indigo said:

Like I said. Only the Blues are split over Europe. Hell hath no fury like a kipper scorned.
    Now.

Mr and Mrs TwoPointFourKids in Acacia Avenue will probably vote Remain because they are not that interested, and that nice man Mr Cameron came on the TV and told them everything will be okay and they can trust him. They are not Tories, although they will probably vote Tory because they are repelled by Corbyn and Farage for differing reasons.

Those same sort of quiet suburban voters, largely apolitical, small 'C conservative, community based people, are going be absolutely furious if the UK gets forced by the EU to take a huge load of economic migrants (or any of a number of actions that looks like the country being screwed over by the EU) and are going to blame Dave for lying to them, and most of the newspapers (irrespective of their IN or OUT stand will line up to say the same thing)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

It would be hard for the Remain to marshal an argument against the EU doing things that we consider outrageous. After all, that's what Remain want us to sign up for.
    It would be hard for the Leavers to marshall an argument against the EU doing things that we consider outrageous should we Leave. After all that is what Leave want us to sign up for: no influence at all on policy making on our continent.
  • Options
    The Hague article in the Telegraph is titled: 'If we leave the EU it will break up the UK and destabilise Europe - I'm in.'

My own view is: ''If we leave the EU it will break up the UK and destabilise Europe - I'm out.'

A perhaps trite way of pointing out that the 'negatives' many Inners like to parade are in fact features not bugs for many others of us.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I hope not. It might be the other way around (if things were rocky he may not have wanted to lose his wife and his job at the same time).

The report I read this morning said they didn't live together, which would be an unusual basis for a marriage.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    I don't believe that there will be a second Indy ref. But it would be ridiculous to say losing it pushes the dream of Scottish independence further away than it has ever been.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

It would be hard for the Leavers to marshall an argument against the EU doing things that we consider outrageous should we Leave. After all that is what Leave want us to sign up for: no influence at all on policy making on our continent.
    That is a very weak argument.

The UK, the second richest member of the EU, is on the verge of leaving, some polls make it too close to call, and yet the ability of our politicians to get any sort of concession from the EU on the most trivial of matters has been close to zero.

How do you rate our chances of getting any sort of concession from the EU the day after Remain win the referendum ?
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, indeed.

Consider political leaders we have now: Cameron, Corbyn, Farron, Sturgeon, Farage.

Corbyn's a wretched socialist, Farron's anonymous, Sturgeon does have an air of competence but limited appeal [geographically, she's more likely to irk than entice English voters to back her], and Farage drives away more votes than he attracts.

Cameron can reach beyond the Conservative core and isn't a nationalist voice. And he's been PM for the last 5 years (6/7 when we vote).

If he shifted to Leave, that would throw the vote wide open. But I cannot see that happening.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

The posited situation would be proof that even staying in doesn't give us influence on policies we are bound by.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The Hague article in the Telegraph is titled: 'If we leave the EU it will break up the UK and destabilise Europe - I'm in.'

My own view is: ''If we leave the EU it will break up the UK and destabilise Europe - I'm out.'

A perhaps trite way of pointing out that the 'negatives' many Inners like to parade are in fact features not bugs for many others of us.

I found Hague's craven fear of the Nat reaction especially contemptible.
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, possibly. He does travel all the time for work, after all.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

The UK, the second richest member of the EU, is on the verge of leaving, some polls make it too close to call, and yet the ability of our politicians to get any sort of concession from the EU on the most trivial of matters has been close to zero.

How do you rate our chances of getting any sort of concession from the EU the day after Remain win the referendum ?
    I do not want any concessions. The EU is an evolving organisation and I see our relationship with it in far more constructive terms. I think that a vote to Remain would help restructure the EU in a positive way.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, I fear your optimism exceeds the bounds of probability.

In Christmas terms: that's crackers :p
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Although they won't, I'd like the leave campaign to have a poster/broadcast that implied that by voting to leave the EU we could provoke the Scots into having another referendum and potentially leaving the UK. Two birds, one stone. What's not to like?!
  • Options

Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

I do not want any concessions. The EU is an evolving organisation and I see our relationship with it in far more constructive terms. I think that a vote to Remain would help restructure the EU in a positive way.
    The argument of battered wives down the ages. Tragic.
  • Options

Indigo said:

It's called patronage. Ministerial cars talk.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

What do Labour e-mails typically say?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

The argument of battered wives down the ages. Tragic.
    I have never been battered!

The whining victim culture of the BOOers is very similar to the whining victim culture of the Oxford statue protestors.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

So you will be quite happy for the Eurozone to be able to impose rules on us through QMV?

So who is going to pay for your NHS when half the finance industry decamps to the Eurozone?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Patrick said:

Although they won't, I'd like the leave campaign to have a poster/broadcast that implied that by voting to leave the EU we could provoke the Scots into having another referendum and potentially leaving the UK. Two birds, one stone. What's not to like?!
    Yup. Independence for England - from Brussels and from Malc. Wahooo!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Now.

Mr and Mrs TwoPointFourKids in Acacia Avenue will probably vote Remain because they are not that interested, and that nice man Mr Cameron came on the TV and told them everything will be okay and they can trust him. They are not Tories, although they will probably vote Tory because they are repelled by Corbyn and Farage for differing reasons.

Those same sort of quiet suburban voters, largely apolitical, small 'C conservative, community based people, are going be absolutely furious if the UK gets forced by the EU to take a huge load of economic migrants (or any of a number of actions that looks like the country being screwed over by the EU) and are going to blame Dave for lying to them, and most of the newspapers (irrespective of their IN or OUT stand will line up to say the same thing)
    They won't though. They won't be furious, and beyond some token moaning, nor will the papers. The myth of the suburban British middle class being pushed beyond the limits of politeness is just that. The reality is that bullying makes you more passive, not more aggressive. If there were a 'limit' we would have reached it long ago.

• Options
    Indigo said:

...If there is some important business decision that happens to our detriment because we are outvoted by the Eurozone, or worse a mandatory quote for migrants, all hell is going to break loose and the finger is going to be pointed firmly at the Dave & George Show.
    Very true. Cameron and Osborne are showing signs of not thinking through the strategy beyond the next move or two. The masive u-turn on the original negotiation demands replacing them with the "4 points" has lost the opportunity to turn enough eurosceptic members into supporters of Osborne. Osborne will start the Leadership campaign with 70%+ of the membership against him and probably 60% to 70% of the MPs against him.
  • Options

Mr. Quidder, possibly. He does travel all the time for work, after all.

Even with that, apparently his home is in Monaco and hers in Japan.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Now.

They won't though. They won't be furious, and beyond some token moaning, nor will the papers. The myth of the suburban British middle class being pushed beyond the limits of politeness is just that. The reality is that bullying makes you more passive, not more aggressive. If there were a 'limit' we would have reached it long ago.

I must have imagined 15% or so of the voting kipper in the last election.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

What do Labour e-mails typically say?
    There are fewer now than there were in the run-up to the GE, but most seem to be about individual campaigns. TBF they seem clearer and outwardly more compelling than the Conservative ones.

Emails from both parties get deleted rather rapidly after a quick perusal ...
  • Options

I was talking about your attitude, as shown by your post above. It's playground stuff: people who agree with your position are realists; those who disagree with your position are "money tree shakers"

I can easily see how honourable, sensible and intelligent people could want to remain with no obvious direct advantage to themselves, just as I can see honourable, sensible and intelligent people wanting to leave with no obvious direct advantage to themselves.
    You grant me too much credibility, I'm an ordinary bloke sounding off on the internet. Not one person on here will change their mind because of anything I say, I just pass away a bit of time chiding tribalists.

And do me a favour and get off your high horse I've been regularly abused and insulted on here (including by you) and never complained, stop whining like a little girl.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Well, I agree with you. I'm not optimistic that we'll be in a majority when the votes are cast.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Yes, public sector workers should be worked into the ground - no perks, no incentives, no recognition. That is how they will be motivated to do their best work. (Recruitment crisis - what recruitment crisis?)

What utter garbage from start to finish.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    They're hoping for a cloud to go with the silver lining.

Forlorn Labours pathetic forlorn hope..they have given upon being pro active...they just pray for something bad to happen to the Tories..Useless..

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    I see the Tories are on top of things in Scotland, very concerning the dancing deficiency to be fair.
    http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2015/12/7905/
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

The whining victim culture of the BOOers is very similar to the whining victim culture of the Oxford statue protestors.

I agree with that too. However one should note that the Oxford statue protestors are winning.
  • Options
    Cameron should be worrying about the legacy is he leaving behind.
    1. Is he to be the PM who presented such a poor deal with the EC that the voters rejected him and left the EC? Or
    2. Is he to be the PM who kept us in the EC but broke his party apart through his "loading the dice" against the eurosceptics?
    Currently he just seems to be worrying about how to Remain and get Osborne as his successor. History may not be kind to him with those aims.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Morning all.

1st.

But direct influence on policy making in the UK, that's a fair trade for me
  • Options

The report I read this morning said they didn't live together, which would be an unusual basis for a marriage.
    A very good friend of mine got married, and they kept separate homes as they both worked for different universities / schools a good hundred miles apart. Sadly their marriage did not last for many years.

I never understood why they did not just split the difference and live midway between the two places; neither had strong ties in the areas they were working.

There's nowt so strange as folk.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Just as in 2005 the Iraq War saw the LDs make the biggest gains with Labour down and the Tories, in vote share at least, barely unchanged, so EU ref could make UKIP the biggest gainers in 2020. The Tories then like Labour now were still seen as too far from the mainstream
This discussion has been closed.