Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The national press will be much less influential at GE2015

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The national press will be much less influential at GE2015 than in previous elections

One factor that we should bear in mind is that the national media is in a sharp decline. For every five people that bought a daily national paper when the coalition was formed just four do so today and who knows what the above table will look like in May 2015.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    But it also means the twitter war and the internet war will be much greater..
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Mike makes a good point in respect of newspapers, although you do need to remember that their websites are also significant, so it's perhaps not as steep a decline in terms of influence as the raw circulation figures would suggest.

how are the parties with the it declining memberships going to resource that? Pushing envelopes through the doors of every residence in a 70,000+ voter constituency requires a lot of foot soldiers

Yes, but on the other hand targetted direct mail is very sophisticated nowadays, and there are other means of reaching voters through e-mail and social media.

How good the parties will be at doing this, and how well it will work, is a bit of an unknown.
  • Options
    Incidentally, the table seems to show that the Mail and the Express will have a bigger share of the market in 2015 than they did in 2010, especially once you factor in the non-paywalled web sites.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited July 2013
    paper change
    The Independent -62.44%
    The Guardian -37.76%
    Financial Times -35.36%
    Daily Star -34.28%
    The Times -24.14%
    The Sun -23.58%
    Daily Record -23.12%
    Daily Telegraph -21.67%
    Daily Express -21.30%
    Daily Mirror -16.10%
    Daily Mail -13.58%
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Is there any sign that UKIP are snaffling Tory activists as well as voters, or are the people who put the actual work in loyal to the party?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    edited July 2013
    Why buy a paper when all the news is on the internet anyway ?

Interesting to note that the Express, Mail and Mirror have all declined the least.

Those are papers I do think of particularly as selling motherhood and apple pie to their readerships. I guess that is what people want.
  • Options
    pinball13pinball13 Posts: 78

Mike makes a good point in respect of newspapers, although you do need to remember that their websites are also significant, so it's perhaps not as steep a decline in terms of influence as the raw circulation figures would suggest.

How much of a difference will the paywalls to parts of the right wing press make though?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    Makes UKIP's potential overtaking of the LDs in terms of membership even more important...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    The circulation figures listed do not include online readership.

The mailonline website, for example, received 105.72 million unique web browser visits in August 2012 and visits have been growing at near 50% per annum. These figures simply dwarf the 1.8 million circulation of the Mail's paper editions.

The readership behaviour of website visitors is of course different from that of subscribers to the paper edition, but this can work in favour of political reporting and commentary.

I am certain I read more Mail, Sun, Mirror, Guardian and Indie articles today as a result of links from websites than I ever did when the papers existed only in paper editions.

There is also far more commentary on original articles published by the large papers. Hardly a day goes by without Dan Hodges's opinion of Ed Miliband being quoted, linked and discussed on PB.

The same applies to polls commissioned by the leading newspapers. Today we see all the polls not just those in the papers to which we subscribe and each poll can be further researched with downloadable tables and interactive discussion.

It is therefore wrong to conclude that the big newspaper publishers will have less influence in 2015 than they did in prior elections just because of a fall in their paper circulation figures.

Proper research needs to be done to verify this claim, but I would guess that the leading political journalists and their publications will have more rather than less inlfuence due to the near universal digital distribution of their published views.

Just think, PBers, SeanT may even swing the deciding vote in the deciding marginal in 2015.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    edited July 2013
    FPT

Life_ina_market_town said:

Mr Justice Silber is hardly an activist, and Lord Justice Laws' obiter dicta are not relevant to this case in any way. Can I suggest that you read the judgment? The Secretary of State acted unlawfully by purporting to exercise powers in relation to Lewisham that had not been conferred on him by Parliament ([74]-[96] of the judgment of Silber J). That was an issue of statutory construction and the powers of the executive, which manifestly falls within the jurisdiction of the courts.That is unless you believe like the late President Nixon that the law of the land is what the executive says it is. Stopping judicial reviews of this nature would amount to nothing less than an abrogation of the rule of law.

The more interesting part of the judgement for me is at para 173ff. Essentially, the SoS did have the power by the statute to reorganise hospital services in south London by s8. This required a consultation process. There was a consultation process albeit not in the name of s8 but on the recommendation of the administrator. Justice Silber states that he is not persuaded that the result of a consultation under s8 would necessarily have reached the same decision. He expresses the opinion, probably correctly, that the fact it was very likely to reach the same decision is not enough.

I suspect any appeal will focus on this point. In the meantime, in accordance with the undertaking given by Hunt, we have a trust continuing to lose £1m a week of taxpayer's money to fund inefficient and expensive services. Funding this will cause problems for the Heath service budget. I remain to be persuaded that it is useful for the courts to get involved in this way. The Act authorised the SoS to reorganise health services. That is what he has proposed to do. We simply cannot afford to keep paying the extra costs that delaying decisions of this type cause.
  • Options
    Extraordinary drop in Guardian readers at 38%. Last year they lost £31m. At these rates of decline, their losses could accelerate rendering a paper version unfundable. 500+ hacks to produce a paper that will soon only be bought by 150,000 seems madness. The cash pile supporting the Guardian was £250m. Each of its paper's reader cost £165 a year to keep...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Mr Justice Silber is hardly an activist

Translation: "supports my point of view".

I'm not suggesting Mr Justice Silber is in the slightest way partisan - I have no idea who he is - but your description is one of those irregular verbs.

I am utterly neutral
    You are hardly an activist
    He isn't as impartial as he thinks
    She has extreme views
    They are LibDems

Very witty, but with respect you miss the point. By "activist", I was referring to the judicial attitude of type that Laws LJ was castigating (whether fairly or not) yesterday, namely someone who takes an overly expansive view of the proper rôle of the courts in reviewing executive decisions. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that Silber J has handed down some inexcusably pro-executive judgments in the past, including in Al Rawi at first instance, which was shredded in the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. The court held in this case that the the Trust Special Administrator and the Secretary of State acted ultra vires the powers conferred on them by Parliament. Whether you agree with the court's conclusion on the legal point, it is an issue which undeniably falls within the proper province of a claim for judicial review. This judgment cannot be used as an argument for limiting the availability of judicial review. If anything, it supports the reverse.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Extraordinary drop in Guardian readers at 38%. Last year they lost £31m. At these rates of decline, their losses could accelerate rendering a paper version unfundable. 500+ hacks to produce a paper that will soon only be bought by 150,000 seems madness. The cash pile supporting the Guardian was £250m. Each of its paper's reader cost £165 a year to keep...

The only conclusion I could reach, looking at their accounts was that they must just enjoy putting out the paper as an expensive hobby. There is no business sense in it whatsoever !
  • Options
    I think another factor that needs to be taken into account is the extensive newspaper reviews on 24 hour news. I suspect more people are more informed about stories over a range of papers now than they were 20 years ago.

Newspapers, and the stories they choose to run, still have an enormous influence on the electronic media giving them an influence well beyond their actual readership. If you are a politician and want to highlight a talking point a splash in a sympathetic newspaper followed up by TV and radio interviews is still the way to do it. You are far, far more likely to get a hearing on the back of a print story.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    @tim - the NHS under Labour:

"SLHT was formed on 1 April 2009.....There is no doubt that SLHT had considerable problems. It had large and unmanageable obligations under five PFI schemes, which cost £89m a year. .....In the 12 months to March 2012, SLHT reported a deficit of £65 million making it the most financially challenged Trust in the NHS and it was forecast to have an accumulated deficit of £196 million for the five years from 2012/2013 to 2016/2017....."
  • Options
    @DavidL
    That was the Secretary of State's fallback position. The fact is that he purported to take the decision under a different set of powers, namely those conferred on him by Chapter 5A of the National Health Service Act 2006. We shall await the Secretary of State's grounds of appeal to the Court of Appeal, but Issue E does not appear to be a particularly viable point. If the Secretary of State's decision is condemned on the vires point however, it is his last refuge. It's good however to see that you have retreated from your palpably ignorant view that this was not a matter which should have come before the High Court of Justice.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Leaflets through the door is a bit passe.
  • Options

They've not yet given up on the print edition, but their strategy is 'digital first'.
  • Options
    The BBC's 249 daily copies of the Guardian will soon represent 0.2% of their sales (150k). Probably making the BBC their biggest customer. What a surprise, a bit like learning that the Pope is a catholic.
    http://www.themediablog.co.uk/the-media-blog/2012/08/bbc-guardian-sun-subscriptions.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,135
    Pulpstar said:

The only conclusion I could reach, looking at their accounts was that they must just enjoy putting out the paper as an expensive hobby. There is no business sense in it whatsoever !
    How long before they send out more paper copies of their accounts than actual papers?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    DavidL said:

I think another factor that needs to be taken into account is the extensive newspaper reviews on 24 hour news. I suspect more people are more informed about stories over a range of papers now than they were 20 years ago.

Newspapers, and the stories they choose to run, still have an enormous influence on the electronic media giving them an influence well beyond their actual readership. If you are a politician and want to highlight a talking point a splash in a sympathetic newspaper followed up by TV and radio interviews is still the way to do it. You are far, far more likely to get a hearing on the back of a print story.

And yet another factor.

Would any sane adult prefer to spend half an hour being doorstepped and leafletted by IOS instead of reading a SeanT or Dan Hodges blog for five minutes at a time and place of their choosing?

I know which I would prefer.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Is there any sign that UKIP are snaffling Tory activists as well as voters, or are the people who put the actual work in loyal to the party?

Very variable, I think. There's a pretty steady trickle of defections taking place at local councillor level (recently 3 in Havering for example), There certainly are former Conservative activists in UKIP's ranks, and overall, UKIP seems to have more activists per member than either Conservatives or Labour.

• Options
    @tim - What's Labour's position on Lewisham?
  • Options
    pinball13 said:

They've not yet given up on the print edition, but their strategy is 'digital first'.
    Total print revenues, which include circulation and advertising, were down 7pc to £140.4m.
    "The Guardian’s print advertising business has been hit particularly hard by the drop off in public sector recruitment. Digital revenues were up 29pc to £55.9m. Online advertising accounted for £25m, online recruitment £16m and subscriptions, including the Soulmates dating website, £15m. Overall digital accounted for around 28pc of total Guardian News & Media revenues, which edged up slightly to £196.3m. " http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/guardian-publisher-loses-31m-115728359.html
    The Guardian is becoming a dating site for lefties!
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    How many copies of The Guardian go to the BBC and other public sector offices?
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL.

Reconfiguration was stopped in it's tracks within two weeks of Lansley assuming office.
    Now Hunt has been so inept he's basically not understood ay of the legislation and has ballsed it up completely.
    He didn't understand the difference between a trust and a reconfiguration

The four tests which Lansley set out were a political move, yet both Hunt and Cameron included them in the Lewisham decision, pledging to get GP commissioner support, then failed to do so and were branded irrational for having claimed that they had done

The statement that they had this support was irrational."

John Moore MP, eat your heart out

Time to bring Lansley back, tim.

Pork has already banked his winnings and the NHS needs a visionary leader.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,135
    FPT: Nick Palmer:

"Thanks for the feedback on rail ownership (useful for me as it's something I want to push if I'm selected, so I thought I'd try it out in the bracing pb climate first)."

I really hope that 'ownership' is not what you are going to push on. If so, the end result will be as much an ideological mess as the current system, if not worse.

The system needs looking at. The problems need examining and solutions finding without throwing out the things that are working well. That may involve going back into public ownership or it may not.

But it needs looking at from a dispassionate, non-ideological viewpoint.

Oh, and BR was much worse despite some very good staff keeping the system going with belts-n-braces.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I disagree - the newpapers make the news. The broadcasters report on their agenda and scoops.

Almost every major story is driven by the press be it on or offline.

Because the medium changes doesn't change the opinion formers.
  • Options

The BBC's 249 daily copies of the Guardian will soon represent 0.2% of their sales (150k). Probably making the BBC their biggest customer. What a surprise, a bit like learning that the Pope is a catholic.
    http://www.themediablog.co.uk/the-media-blog/2012/08/bbc-guardian-sun-subscriptions.html

It would be interesting to see the same figures for Sky, in isolation they mean much.

• Options
    Plato said:

I disagree - the newpapers make the news. The broadcasters report on their agenda and scoops.
    Almost every major story is driven by the press be it on or offline.
    Because the medium changes doesn't change the opinion formers.

Agreed. The Mail has the 2nd largest paper readership and a massive online readership. The Mail is the most popular newspaper for this website's key voters (2010 Lib Dems)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @TCPoliticalBetting

Have you done a search on "tim"?

I predict a suitable match with "Hortence Withering".
  • Options

@DavidL
    That was the Secretary of State's fallback position. The fact is that he purported to take the decision under a different set of powers, namely those conferred on him by Chapter 5A of the National Health Service Act 2006. We shall await the Secretary of State's grounds of appeal to the Court of Appeal, but Issue E does not appear to be a particularly viable point. If the Secretary of State's decision is condemned on the vires point however, it is his last refuge. It's good however to see that you have retreated from your palpably ignorant view that this was not a matter which should have come before the High Court of Justice.

I am not sure why you feel the need to be so discourteous but I am not retreating from anything. The position remains as I stated it. The SoS has a duty to ensure the efficient running of the health service. He has the statutory power to reorganise trusts and services to achieve this. He did that. His officials may not have been particularly clever in the way that they sought to authorise that decision which was plainly within his powers.

The protestors have taken advantage of that error to seek judidical review. The court has currently decided that because of the lack of cleverness there was an issue of whether or not he could take the decision under the power that he purported to use. As a result the absolutely necessary reorganisation of the South London Hospitals has been delayed for months at a cost to the public purse of over £1m a week (according to the DoH).

This is absolutely not in the public interest. It needs to be stopped. I did not feel any differently when it was decisions of ministers under the last government that were inhibited in the same way. Laws LJ's comments were clearly in a different context but it really is time our Superior courts backed off in these types of areas. It is costing the country a fortune it cannot afford and resulting in a misallocation of precious resources.
  • Options
    Financier said:

It will soon be 0.2% for the BBC and then add in the rest - it could be 1% of the total for public sector workers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Following my last post, UKIP seem to be taking some ex-Tories that you wouldn't want to touch with a barge poll. Den Dover and Rod Richards have recently joined, for example. Maybe Brian Coleman will wind up in their ranks, one day.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    All regions annnounced. I think.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/parliament/2013/07/selection-results-published-for-european-election-regional-lists.html

We can live without knowing who got 6th place in desolate Yorkshire.

The seats won by Conservatives in 2009 were
    3 in London
    4 in SE
    3 in SW
    3 in East
    2 in EM
    3 in WM (after Lisbon)
    2 in Yorkshire
    3 in NW
    1 in NE
    1 in Scotland

I take a break now! :-)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    TGOHF said:

Not what the Guardian thinks.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    edited July 2013
    Pulpstar said:

I buy a copy of the Guardian on Saturdays. However, I look at the website at least daily, just to be sure I'm not drifting too far away from the approved Left of Centre position after reading PB!
    Once upon a time I bought it daily; indeed before I retired I had it delivered.

Am I atypical (of Guardian readers)?
  • Options

Financier said:

It will soon be 0.2% for the BBC and then add in the rest - it could be 1% of the total for public sector workers.
    Given that the Public Sector is shrinking - a small number of Guardian subs will go with them. One thing leads to another.

I'd be interested in the income the Guardian now makes on job adverts. Before I left DWP - all adverts except specialist jobs had gone to Monster for a 10th of the cost.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2013
    DavidL said:

I am not sure why you feel the need to be so discourteous but I am not retreating from anything. The position remains as I stated it. The SoS has a duty to ensure the efficient running of the health service. He has the statutory power to reorganise trusts and services to achieve this. He did that. His officials may not have been particularly clever in the way that they sought to authorise that decision which was plainly within his powers.

The protestors have taken advantage of that error to seek judidical review. The court has currently decided that because of the lack of cleverness there was an issue of whether or not he could take the decision under the power that he purported to use. As a result the absolutely necessary reorganisation of the South London Hospitals has been delayed for months at a cost to the public purse of over £1m a week (according to the DoH).

This is absolutely not in the public interest. It needs to be stopped. I did not feel any differently when it was decisions of ministers under the last government that were inhibited in the same way. Laws LJ's comments were clearly in a different context but it really is time our Superior courts backed off in these types of areas. It is costing the country a fortune it cannot afford and resulting in a misallocation of precious resources.

There may or there may not be a public interest in the reorganisation of hospitals in South London. That is not an issue for the courts, and is irrelevant to this case. There is however a weighty public interest in the executive acting within the law, which is undeniably a matter for the courts. You may dismiss the rule of law as cleverness, technicalities etc., but it is one of the things that makes this country (relatively) free. It would be a default of duty for a High Court Judge to refuse to quash an unlawful decision because it might damage what the Secretary of State for the time being thought the public interest was.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

It wasn't the officials it was Hunt. And Cameron made it worse in the HoC.
    As for moaning about lack of reconfiguration in London, do you have any idea what the crazed Lansley spent his first month in office taking a wrecking ball to?
    Reconfiguration in London and cocking up NHS Direct/111.

So tim you clearly believe that this is another election winner for Labour which will drive the polls and that it is nothing to do with the quality of legal advice from civil servants. You must be very happy, is it half a stand?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I buy a copy of the Guardian on Saturdays. However, I look at the site at least daily, just to be sure I'm not drifting too far away from the approved Left of Centre position after reading PB!

My FiL used to buy the Sun and the Observer on a Saturday. I used to buy the Sun and the DT or Times for the train. The Sun only lasted 25mins if I read the greyhound results as well...
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@TCPoliticalBetting
    Have you done a search on "tim"?
    I predict a suitable match with "Hortence Withering".

Why, is tim available?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    I suspect the age of hard copy newspaper buyers is pretty important in determining readership declines. I'd hazard that Mail, Express and Mirror readers tend to be slightly older than average and less likely to be online all the time. I'd also guess that the availability of free football news is also a significant factor in tabloid decline. There is now absolutely no reason to buy a paper to find out the latest transfer stories when they are on your phone for nothing. I have been getting pissed off with Real Madrid for free here in Michigan.

As for the Grauniad, thanks to the Scott Trust it has a few years breathing space to work out how to turn its huge online readership into cash. A paywall of some kind is probably the answer, but it needs to establish the brand globally more strongly first - hence the dedicated Australian and US editions. The Mail is essentially a photo and news aggregation site. It can make ad money from that and turn a profit, but that may have a knock-on effect on its investment in journalism. Why bother if your directly employed hacks are not the ones making you the cash? Best use agency folk instead.
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL

It wasn't the officials it was Hunt.
    Link?
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Not what the Guardian thinks.
    And you wonder why Shapps ended up canvassing the dead in the middle of a by election campaign he'd had more than a clue might be coming down the tracks.
    The ineptness arises from a failure to invest in a place with a high chance of a by election by the other co-chairman.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There may or there may not be a public interest in the reorganisation of hospitals in South London. That is not an issue for the courts, and is irrelevant to this case.
    Indeed:

"Third, I am neither required nor qualified to comment on the merits or otherwise of the proposals concerning the future of LH and indeed will not do so."
  • Options
    The Tories will probably lose a third of their MEPs next year.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

The chums even set up a sham consultation because they semi realised they'd made fools of themselves.

Read [119]-[138] of the judgment, which discusses (if the judge was wrong on the vires point) the interesting, to put it mildly, approach of the Secretary of State to the support of Lewisham GP commissioners.

• Options
    Plato said:

Pulpstar said:

I buy a copy of the Guardian on Saturdays. However, I look at the site at least daily, just to be sure I'm not drifting too far away from the approved Left of Centre position after reading PB!

My FiL used to buy the Sun and the Observer on a Saturday. I used to buy the Sun and the DT or Times for the train. The Sun only lasted 25mins if I read the greyhound results as well...
    You didn't bet on the greyhounds, surely. Not without "information!"

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited July 2013
    TIM// SOLID LINK TO YOUR ASSERTION ABOUT "IT WAS HUNT " at 3.09pm OR EDIT YOUR COMMENT PLEASE
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

But Shapps is legendary for by election amateurism, he proved it in spades in Eastleigh

Yes, legendary, tim:

Welwyn Hatfield, GE 2005: Elected, Grant Shapps, swing: +8.05%, national swing +0.7%

Welwyn Hatfield, GE 2010: Elected, Grant Shapps, swing: +11.1%, national swing +3.7%

What an amateur.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Michael Heaver
    Conservative Party show their firm belief in democracy with a truly anti-democratic MEP selection procedure that sees all MEPs re-selected.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There may or there may not be a public interest in the reorganisation of hospitals in South London. That is not an issue for the courts, and is irrelevant to this case. There is however a weighty public interest in the executive acting within the law, which is undeniably a matter for the courts. You may dismiss the rule of law as cleverness, technicalities etc., but it is one of the things that makes this country (relatively) free. It would be a default of duty for a High Court Judge to refuse to quash an unlawful decision because it might damage what the Secretary of State for the time being thought the public interest was.

Denning vs. Birkenhead

Justice vs. the Law

DavidL vs. LIAMT, LJ
  • Options

Plato said:

Pulpstar said:

You didn't bet on the greyhounds, surely. Not without "information!"

I had greyhounds - they didn't win much at all!
  • Options

Welwyn Hatfield, GE 2005: Elected, Grant Shapps, swing: +8.05%, national swing +0.7%

Welwyn Hatfield, GE 2010: Elected, Grant Shapps, swing: +11.1%, national swing +3.7%

What an amateur.

The more someone is rubbished - the more I suspect they're scaring their rivals.
  • Options

tim said:

But Shapps is legendary for by election amateurism, he proved it in spades in Eastleigh

Yes, legendary, tim:

What an amateur.
    Swing elsewhere in Hertfordshire was?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Mike makes some great points here and the tory membership meltdown is a serious problem.

Boots on the ground may also be important if voter registration is tightened up. Anybody know what the latest on that is?
  • Options
    "Zimbabwe: Tsvangirai Predicts Election Win

Robert Mugabe's main rival says he has the support to end the president's 33-year reign and predicts a "resounding victory":

http://news.sky.com/story/1122554/zimbabwe-tsvangirai-predicts-election-win
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On topic, as the election approaches are we going to see and hear a lot more of groups such as 38 Degrees?
    Up to now they've been monochromatic but election campaigns are over a broader spectrum.
  • Options
    Plato said:

What an amateur.

The more someone is rubbished - the more I suspect they're scaring their rivals.
    And of course this moronic logic doesn't apply to those who spend all day every day here rubbishing tim or Ed Miliband.
  • Options

DavidL said:

This is a broader issue than the merits of this particular decision. The courts have developed administrative law generally by an emphasis on process, not on merits. We see something similar in ET cases as well. This is understandable as the merits are inherently political and not a matter for unelected judges.

The downside is that process becomes an end in itself. Each decision reached by any public body is scrutinised to check if every box has been ticked and consultation has been properly made. If there is an error then the courts will intervene and quash the decision.

The rule of law you refer to has been extended in this way by the massive extension of administrative law. When I was studying law at University 30 years ago it was not even its own subject. Now it forms a large part of any law library.

As I have said I do not think this is a good thing. Clearly where you draw any line about where the courts should interfere is going to be contentious but I have no doubt that it would be better if much greater restraint was shown by the courts in limiting their powers of interference to the most serious cases of plainly illegal conduct.

Given the powers that the SoS had I do not think that this case fell into that class but there may be room for differences of view in that. What I think is indisputable is that this extension of the rule of law is a very expensive and ultimately unproductive addition to our legal system.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Denning vs. Birkenhead

Justice vs. the Law

DavidL vs. LIAMT, LJ

Not even a "purposive" construction of Chapter 5A of the National Health Service Act 2006 could have saved the Secretary of State here...
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

Denning vs. Birkenhead

Justice vs. the Law

DavidL vs. LIAMT, LJ

DavidL vs. LIAMT, LJ

I am on the same side as Denning? Yippee!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Plato said:

What an amateur.

And of course this moronic logic doesn't apply to those who spend all day every day here rubbishing tim or Ed Miliband.
    Hortence

Calm your passion.

It is most unladylike.

• Options

Plato said:

What an amateur.

Hortence, you made a valid point. Well done. But please stop the "troll" nonsense. It is just annoying.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Answering my own question, is seems the IVR (individual voter registration) bill has received royal assent and will be used in 2015, replacing the householder declaration system.
  • Options
    tim said:
    I prefer success in general elections rather than by-elections.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

TIM// SOLID LINK TO YOUR ASSERTION ABOUT "IT WAS HUNT " at 3.09pm OR EDIT YOUR COMMENT PLEASE

" “the Secretary of State has also made it clear that GP Commissioners will lead local changes in the future”."

"In those circumstances, it seems to me that for the proposals relating to LH, there was
    not the essential “support from the GP commissioners” in the light of the views of the
    crucial views of the Lewisham GP commissioners, who were hostile to the changes at
    LH. Indeed even if there was only a need to have regard to the need for support from
    the GP commissioners, the decision to ignore the views of the Lewisham GP
    commissioners, showed that he did not comply with that requirement and I would say
    that was irrational.
    138. So I consider that that the Claimants succeed on this point."

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/Lewisham-v-SSH310713.pdf

And I suggest anyone interested reads the paras highlighted by Life In A Market Town.
    The biggest irony of the PB year.

tim defends a judicial decision which protects the rights and powers of the key construct of the Lansley reforms.

Pork will turn pink with embarassment.
  • Options
    @Plato

Looks like this is a club anyone can join. Not exclusive at all. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    JohnWheatleyJohnWheatley Posts: 140
    The paper sales may be in decline, but Guardian and Mail both have massive online traffic in the UK (not just abroad) - enough to maintain their political influence, if not their profit.

Personally I never miss the Mail's sidebar of shame. I await Stella Creasey's appearance in it having seen her on Newsnight last night. Who knows, after TOWIE and MIC, we could get TIP - Today in Parliament.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

Aren't we in danger of over-emphasising the influence of the press?

IIRC, there was data showing that the Mail's readership voted pretty much in the same way as the rest of the population, and that there were a significant number of Guardian-reading Tories.

The most important part of the papers is how they can help set the news agenda.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

Nick, if you are still about, I just went back and read your comments on rail nationalisation. You said that you didn't get the nomination but I presume that this was only the Unite nomination and that the decision in Broxstowe is still to be made?

It sounds a genuinely interesting process. If you can tell us, what was the level of knowledge on the part of those asking the questions? Would they have had guidance from Unite about the scenarios etc?
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

IIRC, there was data showing that the Mail's readership voted pretty much in the same way as the rest of the population, and that there were a significant number of Guardian-reading Tories.

I think that is what I was saying Charles. But the news agenda is clearly important. Think back to the delights of Jennifer's ear or more recently the pasty fiasco. Our media in full cry are a fearsome bunch and can and undoubtedly do sway opinion, especially in the shorter term. This is usually started in the written press.

There is also the role of the written press in scandals. It allows the TV media to speak about the effect of the story even when they were reluctant to touch the sleezy episode on which it was based.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

I remember an exit poll after the 2005 election where they were unable to find a single Guardian reader that had voted Conservative.

Memory tells me that The Times readership best mapped the result.

• Options
    JohnWheatleyJohnWheatley Posts: 140
    Incidentally - given how strongly pro Labour it is, more so than The Guardian in some ways - look at the combined circulation of Indie and I
  • Options
    tim said:

As for moaning about lack of reconfiguration in London, do you have any idea what the crazed Lansley spent his first month in office taking a wrecking ball to?

That's the second post today I've seen where you accuse Lansley of having a psychological disorder.

I'm assuming it is a very unpleasant smear that you are trying to develop into a meme.

Perhaps you can provide a link to support your claim?
  • Options

As for the Grauniad, thanks to the Scott Trust it has a few years breathing space to work out how to turn its huge online readership into cash.

Clever tax planning in relation to Autotrader helped a lot with this.

I don't have a particular issue with what they did, but it is breath-taking hypocritical of them to run regular moral crusades against people who legally minimise tax
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

That's the second post today I've seen where you accuse Lansley of having a psychological disorder.

I'm assuming it is a very unpleasant smear that you are trying to develop into a meme.

"A source told HSJ Mr Lansley “hated” the plan and had implemented the review as one of his first actions as health secretary. Another said the review effectively meant the reconfigurations had been “put to a halt” and that “polysystems are dead and buried”.

Although the new government’s principle objection to the plan is understood to be the way it has alienated the capital’s GPs, the source said the political symbolism of overturning the flagship policy of Gordon Brown’s term as prime minister was also a factor in the decision.

The source said: “It’s a rejection of Darzi, it’s a token gesture.”

http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/policy/lansley-calls-a-halt-to-darzi-in-london/5014835.article

You can add to the list of Lansley irrationality in his first month in office his refusal to work with Norman Lamnpb as a health minister, fallout from Lansley blowing up the cross party talks on elderly care which had been going on before the election.
    So you disagree with the policy. What a surprise.

Which bit says he is "mad" or "crazed"?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013
    Charles said:

tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

"A source told HSJ Mr Lansley “hated” the plan and had implemented the review as one of his first actions as health secretary. Another said the review effectively meant the reconfigurations had been “put to a halt” and that “polysystems are dead and buried”.

Although the new government’s principle objection to the plan is understood to be the way it has alienated the capital’s GPs, the source said the political symbolism of overturning the flagship policy of Gordon Brown’s term as prime minister was also a factor in the decision.

The source said: “It’s a rejection of Darzi, it’s a token gesture.”

http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/policy/lansley-calls-a-halt-to-darzi-in-london/5014835.article

You can add to the list of Lansley irrationality in his first month in office his refusal to work with Norman Lamnpb as a health minister, fallout from Lansley blowing up the cross party talks on elderly care which had been going on before the election.
    So you disagree with the policy. What a surprise.

Which bit says he is "mad" or "crazed"?
    Regarding psychology , tim is a classic case of projection . He's constantly accusing others of madness , stupidity , misogyny , and racism.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited July 2013
    Just spotted this on Railcare - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23520881

Firm goes into administration this afternoon.

Victim of WCML screw up? Adds some fuel to fire on debates re merits of government intervention in railways.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    edited July 2013
    The Mail and Mirror doing relatively less badly there - perhaps wild-eyed partisanship is the way to go. But the "i" is the only real success story.

DavidL: yes, the selection in Broxtowe is on Saturday - the unions only influence the nomination process. You lose if you don't get any nominations; otherwise it doesn't usually matter much, but of course it's nice to be able to say that branches X, Y, Z and unions A, B, C all nominated you.

Union nomination is in my experience done at a regional level, by officers rather than individual members. In general I think they'll typically have a group of full-time officers and members of the political executive. Unions invite you to send in an application in writing saying why you think the union ought to nominate you; in some cases they say they're particularly concerned about issue X (e.g. UNISON was especially interested in equality rights) and what do you think about that?

UNITE is the only union that I know that goes further and invites you for interview. The same panel will interview all the candidates they've invited and will spend all afternoon doing it. You get two questions about "what would you do as an MP if..." (both cases of constituents asking about rights at work) and twenty minutes to answer them in writing. Then you're asked a standard set of about 20 questions about what you'd do as a candidate and MP. Some of these are union-specific (do you think current legislation on unions strikes a fair balance, or if not what would you change?), others are general (how would you deal with current apathy towards politicians?). There was no hint that they hoped you'd answer one way or another. In the evening, they call the candidates and tell them who won and what the panel thought were their strong and weak points for future reference. I thought it was admirable (much better than most employers for regular jobs). They had four UNITE applicants and a very left-wing candidate, but they opted for a different non-UNITE candidate as they felt his answers were the best.
  • Options
    MikeSoleMikeSole Posts: 19
    Many people (I would guess mainly but not exclusively the young) don't buy newspapers, watch on demand TV (but not the news) and don't listen to the brief new snippets on the radio. It is going to be increasing difficult to get people engaged in politics.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

That's an opinion Charles like my opinion that your approach to vaccinating children is reckless.
    I guess you'll be telling me that the Lewisham Judgement on Hunt doesn't actually say he's incompetent so it can't be the case.
    But of course it brands him irrational.
    No one who has followed his career from homeopathy onwards will be surprised at that

Link

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100179258/jeremy-hunt-health-secretary-thinks-homeopathy-works/

You don't know my approach on childhood vaccination. So you have an opinion that is not based on facts. Plus ca change.

And saying "the crazed Lansley" is not an opinion it is a statement of fact.

For it to be opinion you need to put "Lansley is crazy" or "What a crazy decision".
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    edited July 2013

Pulpstar said:

I buy a copy of the Guardian on Saturdays. However, I look at the website at least daily, just to be sure I'm not drifting too far away from the approved Left of Centre position after reading PB!

I get the Guardian on Saturdays only. Observer on Sundays.

There is absolutely no way I'd have the time to read a newspaper every day. I think most people are the same these days regarding their free time available for newspapers. I suspect that and the Internet are the reasons for their decline.

The rate of decline is so rapid that the weight given to their opinions is already very overrated. Sooner or later that will catch up and politicians will start openly ignoring them.
  • Options
    @tim - You seem very excited.

Did you get so excited when judicial reviews under Labour were successful, such as these ones involving your hero Alistair Darling?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542738/Greenpeace-wins-nuclear-power-victory.html

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/14/03/2007/39693/alistair-darling-in-the-dock-over-uk39s-failure-to-implement-eu-equal-treatment.htm
  • Options

DavidL:
    Union nomination is in my experience done at a regional level, by officers rather than individual members. In general I think they'll typically have a group of full-time officers and members of the political executive. Unions invite you to send in an application in writing saying why you think the union ought to nominate you; in some cases they say they're particularly concerned about issue X (e.g. UNISON was especially interested in equality rights) and what do you think about that?

UNITE is the only union that I know that goes further and invites you for interview. The same panel will interview all the candidates they've invited and will spend all afternoon doing it. You get two questions about "what would you do as an MP if..." (both cases of constituents asking about rights at work) and twenty minutes to answer them in writing. Then you're asked a standard set of about 20 questions about what you'd do as a candidate and MP. Some of these are union-specific (do you think current legislation on unions strikes a fair balance, or if not what would you change?), others are general (how would you deal with current apathy towards politicians?). There was no hint that they hoped you'd answer one way or another. In the evening, they call the candidates and tell them who won and what the panel thought were their strong and weak points for future reference. I thought it was admirable (much better than most employers for regular jobs). They had four UNITE applicants and a very left-wing candidate, but they opted for a different non-UNITE candidate as they felt his answers were the best.

Many thanks for the reply Nick. My limited experience of branch politics (in the SDP) would not have allowed anything like such a process which seems highly desirable. I remember we picked our Parliamentary candidates at a general meeting of the Branch after about a 10min presentation by each of them and a few desultory questions. It was one of those occasions where I felt obliged to invent some questions as I was on the top table and there was a fairly low level of contribution from the floor.

In a time of falling membership it once again illustrates the importance of the Union link for Labour. Miliband should be careful about that.

Best of luck with the nomination.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The online war will be more important than the newspaper war. The big battalions will be facebook, twitter, the Mail and the Guardian.

Individual journalists with a big online presence will be more influential than whole newspapers.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Tim

At the risk of pointing out the obvious the Judge did not express any view on "Hunt's irrationality". He said a decision was irrational which is a rather different matter. It is a legal test met in this case by an alleged lack of power under the relevant provision and an alleged lack of consultation under the provisions that could have empowered it.
  • Options
    @tim - To my surprise, he's doing rather well, repositioning the whole NHS debate. A possible future leader? You read it first here.
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

That's an opinion Charles like my opinion that your approach to vaccinating children is reckless.
    I guess you'll be telling me that the Lewisham Judgement on Hunt doesn't actually say he's incompetent so it can't be the case.
    But of course it brands him irrational.
    No one who has followed his career from homeopathy onwards will be surprised at that

Link

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100179258/jeremy-hunt-health-secretary-thinks-homeopathy-works/

You don't know my approach on childhood vaccination. So you have an opinion that is not based on facts. Plus ca change.

And saying "the crazed Lansley" is not an opinion it is a statement of fact.

For it to be opinion you need to put "Lansley is crazy" or "What a crazy decision".
    What do you make of the judges comments on Hunts irrationality?
    Could you ever expect rationality from a believer in Homeopathy who was inexplicably made health secretary?
    I haven't read the judges comments, although I would be surprised if he put them as baldly as that.

I have no idea why some people believe in homeopathy. I can see that it would have potential benefits via a psychological-physical feedback loop (as can, for instance, placebo or prayer) but I haven't seen evidence for a direct benefit.

That said, people can believe strange things in one area (e.g. that Ed Miliband would make a good PM) and be entirely rational in others
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    MikeSole said:

Many people (I would guess mainly but not exclusively the young) don't buy newspapers, watch on demand TV (but not the news) and don't listen to the brief new snippets on the radio. It is going to be increasing difficult to get people engaged in politics.

That's right. Increasingly I find that non-party people who find I'm heavily involved in politics react with the same detached, polite, strictly limited curiosity as though I said I was a Mormon or a stamp-collector - "How interesting, it must take you a lot of time, but I'm sure you find it satisfying."

Is that a common experience for folk here?
  • Options

@tim - You seem very excited.

Did you get so excited when judicial reviews under Labour were successful, such as these ones involving your hero Alistair Darling?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542738/Greenpeace-wins-nuclear-power-victory.html

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/14/03/2007/39693/alistair-darling-in-the-dock-over-uk39s-failure-to-implement-eu-equal-treatment.htm

Judicial reviews of ministerial decisions rarely excite either tim's attention or comment.

This one was exception though, Richard.

There was a clear need to protect Lansley's reforms and the powers and rights of GP commissioners.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @AveryLP - BTW I know you have a weakness for attractive young posh ladies of the left, so here's a nice picture specially for you, courtesy of the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jul/31/lewisham-hospital-services-decision-reversed-judge

• Options

MikeSole said:

That's right. Increasingly I find that non-party people who find I'm heavily involved in politics react with the same detached, polite, strictly limited curiosity as though I said I was a Mormon or a stamp-collector - "How interesting, it must take you a lot of time, but I'm sure you find it satisfying."

It's why we are here. Almost every poster on here has more interest in politics and indeed government policy than all of my friends put together. Attempts to start discussions about such things offline are, in my experience, met with a pained silence.

As it happens I am reading a biog of US Grant that I acquired in America at the moment. Lincoln's famous debates in the Senatorial race for Illinois are surely the other extreme. Of course there was no day time TV or celebs in those days...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Does anyone know if the huffington post (uk) is profitable yet?

I'm guessing not.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

MikeSole said:

I find it's better to say that I enjoy betting on politics. It sounds attractively rakish and disreputable.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @RichardNabavi @NickPalmer

Leafleting and canvassing and the like are some of the many activities I engage in that I dont ever admit to in front of strangers!
  • Options
    tim said:

How do you know she's of the left.
    There are photographs of Cameron campaigning against NHS cuts when Labour were increasing funding hand over fist, and Didn't Hague go on an anti cuts march recently?

C'mon, tim, she doesn't look like William Hague, does she?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    That comres poll posted earlier shows quite clearly how Cameron can get a majority. Add what the poll records as the 17% of Tory 2010 voters who say they now will vote UKIP (about 6%) to the Tory total of 34% and you get to 41% add 1% switching from Labour to Tory and you get a Total of Tory 42%, Labour 36% and LD 10% ie majority territory, so once again where the UKIP vote goes in 2015 is key.
This discussion has been closed.