Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » REMAIN drops 2 in new Survation poll for UKIP donor Aaron B

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

DavidL said:

Whoever would have thought that Labour would lose substantial numbers of votes in real English elections under the stewardship of Jeremy Corbyn and the hard left? It is genuinely shocking. Nearly as amazing as the fact that Corbyn has made also no difference to Labour's position in Scotland. It's almost as if NP and the other bright-eyed innocents who voted Jezza in have absolutely no clue at all about what it takes to win elections in the UK.

So cynical Southam, so cynical.

I know. I guess it's because I am a Red Tory. I need to spend less time in the real world and more on Twitter.

Excellent piece by Hugo Rifkind you may agree with: http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/the-answer-for-sensible-moderate-labour-folk-leave/
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    His new nickname is Pinky Mist. It's like a new MLP :wink:

Tom Newton Dunn ✔ @tnewtondunn
    Nice nugget from @FrankRGardner on #JihadiJohn before he left UK: he had bad breath and couldn't pull.

He's now got 72 virgins going "Er...no thanks mate...."
  • Options

The one regret I have about Jihadi John's demise is that it would have been sudden and he would have known very little about it. He may have been too far gone insane to feel real, gut-wrenching, puke-inducing fear, but I'd love for him to have been given the opportunity.

Who else would you like to torture to death?

Who said anything about torture? I'd have been happy for him to have looked his killer in the eye for a few seconds and to have known what was coming before a swift despatch. I know it makes me a bad person and, as an opponent of the death penalty, a complete hypocrite, but there you go.

You said it, mate :)

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Whoever would have thought that Labour would lose substantial numbers of votes in real English elections under the stewardship of Jeremy Corbyn and the hard left? It is genuinely shocking. Nearly as amazing as the fact that Corbyn has made also no difference to Labour's position in Scotland. It's almost as if NP and the other bright-eyed innocents who voted Jezza in have absolutely no clue at all about what it takes to win elections in the UK.

I didn't vote Corbyn because I thought he would be terrific at winning elections. I voted for him because he offered positive left-wing policies put forward without personal vitriol. That's exactly what I want in politicians. First (IMO) you need to decide what you're standing for, then how to win with it, not the other way round.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

I wonder how the PM and Remain campaign (which we can now consider the same thing, I think) will react if 'leave' starts to establish consistent leads?

Do they dial up Project Fear or will there be some shift from the PM's current policy of seeking only cosmetic concessions from the EU?

The PM will become much more relaxed about 'amendments' from the House of Lords to the referendum bill if he's nervous.

He will also dial up the rhetoric. If it gets really bad (by which I mean consistent Leave leads) he might promise something else in the pipeline - possibly another referendum vote in future - if his deal doesn't turn out to be all that.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The one regret I have about Jihadi John's demise is that it would have been sudden and he would have known very little about it. He may have been too far gone insane to feel real, gut-wrenching, puke-inducing fear, but I'd love for him to have been given the opportunity.

I suspect all his fellow travellers and associates will get a wrench of fear everytime they see a speck in the sky. The drone of Damocles above them.

I am not entirely comfortable with extra-judicial execution from above, but it is in many ways the least bad option. The world is a better place without him.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Question for our US experts: the Realclearpolitics polls show opinion about Obama conistently pretty evenly divided - typically about a 4% edge for "disapprove". By contrast, opinions of Congress are almost unanimously negative - 11% approve, 86% disapprove in one recent poll. What's going on here?

Should we expect a big anti-incumbent "throw the rascals out" vote, possibly even overcoming the notorious districting bias? But the GOP are doing quite well in local one-off elections, so it doesn't seem to be an anti-GOP feeling: is it just that people feel Congess is ineffective?

Opinions of Congress are always very low, although people usually make an exception for their own Representative, so incumbents usually get voted back in.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    RobD said:

I'd actually bet money that no one in the Labour party was told anything about Jihadi John on privy council terms. Its the price Labour are paying for Corbyn's beliefs.. I expect it will come out soon so as to damage Corbyn even more as a man who rightly cannot be trusted.

Would they need to be told? Would the privy council in general need to be told either?
    The US are not going to share live intelligence with a man like Corbyn no matter what titles he may have in front of his name or, indeed, with anyone who does not need to know. And I doubt that the Privy Council need to know.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A quirk in 2 of the by elections yesterday . The Independent candidate in Ogmore Vale ( who lost ) and Green candidate in Rodwell ( who won ) were both previous Labour councillors for the same ward/division .
    For those who look at Survation and see UKIP support supposedly up since May .
    UKIP have fought 49 council by elections since May which they had fought previously . Their vote share has fallen from 19.8% to 12.0% They have also fought 24 by elections not fought previously in which their vote share was 8.9% .
    Lib Dems have fought 59 council by elections since May which they had fought previously . Their vote share has increased from 13.8% to 19.5% . They have also fought 13 by elections not fought previously in which their vote share was 14.5%
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2015

New research suggests why general election polls were so inaccurate

Study conducted immediately after vote indicates that sampling in earlier polls may not have been random enough

http://bit.ly/1WVMqIC

No surprise there. Several of us on here were saying for ages that if you want to hide from the pollsters, it is very easy to do so these days... Basic question: do pollsters come up on mobiles as "number blocked"? If so, most won't answer. Even if it displays a number, many won't answer a number they don't recognise. Do pollsters leave a voice message and ask people to recontact them? Probably not is my guess, if they doing polls on the cheapest possible contact price.

And those who are signed up to panels are disproportionately politically aware.
    Not to mention that phone polling with last-digit randomisation does not work
  • Options

Nice nugget from @FrankRGardner on #JihadiJohn before he left UK: he had bad breath and couldn't pull.

Young men are pumped full of hormones: they are at the peak of physical fitness and aggression, bot physical and sexual. It gets worse if they are in groups where they act as a pack.

No real team or competitive sport, precious few jobs and very little opportunity to meet women in the middle-east.

What else is there for them?

Edit: i recognise the UK is different, but if isolated culturally, a lot of those same factors still apply.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Cyclefree said:

Another German poll showing Merkel's support recovering - which even I think is surprising at this point:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

My offer to AndyJS and Regiecide to take up with a £10 bet Andy's prediction that CDU support would soon drop below 30% remains open...

Thanks for your and others kind words last night. I am keeping myself busy so that I don't have time to brood. I just wish I got the results one way or the other.

Anyway I see that the government is thinking of adopting the very same policies on withdrawal of benefits from British people that we were debating here the other day. If true, doesn't it suggest that Cameron has already abandoned the first of his renegotiation demands about withdrawal of benefits from migrants, which would take a change in EU law?
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    I do like Hugo.
    This is what happens when you brainwash yourself into believing that your lot are the only good guys; when you forget that it’s not the club that matters, but what the club does. This is what happens when you grow so used to feeling superior to everybody outside Labour that you can no longer properly believe such people are proper, moral humans at all. It’s not a church. It’s not a sin to go somewhere else for a bit if you need to. Not when the nuts do it, and not when you do either. Pull yourselves together. People are laughing.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I know. I guess it's because I am a Red Tory. I need to spend less time in the real world and more on Twitter.

Excellent piece by Hugo Rifkind you may agree with: http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/the-answer-for-sensible-moderate-labour-folk-leave/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2015
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

I'd actually bet money that no one in the Labour party was told anything about Jihadi John on privy council terms. Its the price Labour are paying for Corbyn's beliefs.. I expect it will come out soon so as to damage Corbyn even more as a man who rightly cannot be trusted.

Would they need to be told? Would the privy council in general need to be told either?
    The US are not going to share live intelligence with a man like Corbyn no matter what titles he may have in front of his name or, indeed, with anyone who does not need to know. And I doubt that the Privy Council need to know.

Ms Cyclefree, best of luck... waiting for results is sub optimal.

Its irrelevant that no one was going to be told nor that the PC did not need to be told, it will be used to damage Corbyn and rightly so,
  • Options

I didn't vote Corbyn because I thought he would be terrific at winning elections. I voted for him because he offered positive left-wing policies put forward without personal vitriol. That's exactly what I want in politicians. First (IMO) you need to decide what you're standing for, then how to win with it, not the other way round.
    I was speaking yesterday to a well-known losing PPC who has suffered endless personal vitriol from Corbyn supporters, including the threat of expulsion because this person had the temerity to suggest that the Labour Party should comply with its own rules.

They would find your view that Corbyn does not stand for personal vitriol beyond Panglossian.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Huzzah for George Osborne and his brilliant stewardship of the economy

@George_Osborne: Delighted to announce the largest ever government sale of financial assets with £13bn mortgages sold at a gain for taxpayers

@George_Osborne: Another important step in clearing up the mess left by the financial crisis. Now returned over 85% of Northern Rock to private sector

Yes he's managed to get the national debt over £1.5 trillion, that can't have been easy

• Options
    As a possible solution to the migrants benefits problem (to be honest it doesn't bother me at all but I know others feel differently), could we move to a contributory principle but treat participation in full time education in the UK as a contribution in kind?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Huzzah for George Osborne and his brilliant stewardship of the economy

@George_Osborne: Delighted to announce the largest ever government sale of financial assets with £13bn mortgages sold at a gain for taxpayers

@George_Osborne: Another important step in clearing up the mess left by the financial crisis. Now returned over 85% of Northern Rock to private sector

Yes he's managed to get the national debt over £1.5 trillion, that can't have been easy

It would have been far easier for Labour, admittedly...
  • Options
    From the Hugo Speccy piece echoes your point
    ..And I don’t just mean the new lot, under Jeremy Corbyn, although his ongoing decision to surround himself with a team of people who seem to have each been tasked, individually, with emphasising a different bad thing about him does take some beating...

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Ms Cyclefree, best of luck.

Its irrelevant that no one was going to be told nor that the PC did not need to be told, it will be used to damage Corbyn and rightly so,
  • Options

Young men are pumped full of hormones: they are at the peak of physical fitness and aggression, bot physical and sexual. It gets worse if they are in groups where they act as a pack.

No real team or competitive sport, precious few jobs and very little opportunity to meet women in the middle-east.

Edit: i recognise the UK is different, but if isolated culturally, a lot of those same factors still apply.
    More shagging, less shooting.
  • Options

Who said anything about torture? I'd have been happy for him to have looked his killer in the eye for a few seconds and to have known what was coming before a swift despatch. I know it makes me a bad person and, as an opponent of the death penalty, a complete hypocrite, but there you go.

You said it, mate :)

Unfortunately, we cannot all be as perfect as you Mr Innocent. Some of us are flawed. I know how it pains you and I apologise.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    From Survation's Labour data:

Headline retention: 88.2%
    Raw data retention: 74.6% ( equivalent to 2.4m lost/undecided May voters)

One in seven of those supporting Labour now did not vote last time, and more than a third of their declared vote is aged <35.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    antifrank said:

As a possible solution to the migrants benefits problem (to be honest it doesn't bother me at all but I know others feel differently), could we move to a contributory principle but treat participation in full time education in the UK as a contribution in kind?

There's a strange aspect to this debate that I don't get. Why not have a residency requirement, eligibility for any state hand out being based on residence for X years. It's already used in the EU (Germany uses it to provide free University education).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Another German poll showing Merkel's support recovering - which even I think is surprising at this point:

My offer to AndyJS and Regiecide to take up with a £10 bet Andy's prediction that CDU support would soon drop below 30% remains open...

Thanks for your and others kind words last night. I am keeping myself busy so that I don't have time to brood. I just wish I got the results one way or the other.

Anyway I see that the government is thinking of adopting the very same policies on withdrawal of benefits from British people that we were debating here the other day. If true, doesn't it suggest that Cameron has already abandoned the first of his renegotiation demands about withdrawal of benefits from migrants, which would take a change in EU law?
    Best wishes from me too. I know what it is like to be a patient waiting for results too.

It has taken monumental mismanagement by Hunt to provoke this strike ballot. I hope he backs down for everyones sake. Junior doctors are not 70's BL workers. They really feel backed into a corner with no alternative.
  • Options

As I said, wide eyed and innocent. Mr Corbyn may not indulge in vitriol himself. But he is perfectly relaxed about his supporters doing so. Indeed, he seems pretty keen to work with people who have indulged in it regularly - especially against Labour.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Piers Morgan for me

• Options
    antifrank said:
    I saw that and thought it might have been satire, but alas.

The guardian lost touch with reality a long while ago i fear.
  • Options

A quirk in 2 of the by elections yesterday . The Independent candidate in Ogmore Vale ( who lost ) and Green candidate in Rodwell ( who won ) were both previous Labour councillors for the same ward/division .
    For those who look at Survation and see UKIP support supposedly up since May .
    UKIP have fought 49 council by elections since May which they had fought previously . Their vote share has fallen from 19.8% to 12.0% They have also fought 24 by elections not fought previously in which their vote share was 8.9% .
    Lib Dems have fought 59 council by elections since May which they had fought previously . Their vote share has increased from 13.8% to 19.5% . They have also fought 13 by elections not fought previously in which their vote share was 14.5%

Thanks for doing the research for us.
  • Options
    All-graduate police force?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34805856

While I'm running through my hobbyhorses, there is this one. The posh kids are jealous of chavs in blue getting decent wages. Make it all-graduate so the PPE mob can be Chief Constables.

The criminal justice system is broken. No-one knows how to fix it because no-one cares about research (which often would be illegal anyway, as with juries).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Cyclefree.

Go private. Though treatmment is excellent (and I would say better) on the NHS diagnosis is much quicker and more personal if you go private. Money very well spent.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Behave! Don't you know you're old enough to be my mother/older sister? ;-)

Only joking. Amen to that :-)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Roger said:

Cyclefree.

Go private. Though treatmment is excellent (and I would say better) on the NHS diagnosis is much quicker and more personal if you go private. Money very well spent.

One for you

https://twitter.com/frank_fisher/status/665087802212802560
  • Options

I refer you to alan johnson on tw saying he was very pro trident but if the labour party policy becomes no trident, then he'd campaign on that basis at the next general election and as he's a labour man, the party comes first....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Lovely story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34282849?post_id=386210914921589_433602630182417#_=_
    Whatever his motivation, 100 years ago, on 21 September 1915, Cecil Chubb paid £6,600 for the monument at an auction in Salisbury, Wiltshire. It happened, he said, "on a whim".

Chubb's wife Mary was reportedly less than grateful for the romantic gesture, possibly because the price equated to as much as £680,000 in today's money. "It's said that Mary wanted Cecil to buy a set of curtains at the auction," says Stonehenge's curator, Heather Sebire. "And he came back with something rather different."
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    antifrank said:

It's the obvious solution, isn't it?

We already have a system of 'credits' in place for people that make themselves available for work. A similar system based on education/government training from 15 onwards would probably do the trick.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

antifrank said:
    I saw that and thought it might have been satire, but alas.

The guardian lost touch with reality a long while ago i fear.
    Burmese cusine is unique and delicious. There are particularly lovely dishes of freshwater fish where I was working. Shan style noodles for breakfast are a treat and I even acquired a taste for pickled green tea, a national appetiser.

But having been kept away from Western influence for so long they are hypnotised by anything foreign.
  • Options

Piers Morgan for me

Torturing to death is too good for him.

And that Alastair Campbell.

Personally, I'd just have them grow old under Tory majority Governments..... Far more cruel and unusual a punishment.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

All-graduate police force?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34805856

While I'm running through my hobbyhorses, there is this one. The posh kids are jealous of chavs in blue getting decent wages. Make it all-graduate so the PPE mob can be Chief Constables.

The criminal justice system is broken. No-one knows how to fix it because no-one cares about research (which often would be illegal anyway, as with juries).

Large chunks of the public sector have already indulged in this nonsense. It seems like people trying to create a justification for the ludicrous 50% graduate target from New Labour.

Perhaps, they should also take steps to address the root problem - overly complex sets of rules, laws etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    antifrank said:

There are alot of sensible suggestions on PB.com that are so broadly agreeable and make common sense that you know they will never, ever see the light of day as legislation.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's a good piece and makes sense, but it is written by someone who has not ever been "Labour". It is hard to understand from the outside, but Labour really does create a strong emotional pull. Even now, as an ex-Labour voter, I would love to go back. But Corbyn and his mates are just a step too far. But then I am not a Labour member and have not been for years. I have not made the investment others have. And whether Hugo likes it or not, that is what it is. It does not make sense, it does create poison and it has a tendency to remove you from the real world, but I can understand how to leave would feel not only like a betrayal of yourself but also of your friends and even your family. I also guess that's why Labour attracts such vitriol from former members and supporters - it takes a hell of a lot to leave, so you get close to hating what it is you have said goodbye to. Dan Hodges hates Labour so much because he feels so let down by it. I am not at that stage yet, but my contempt is rising.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    I'm sure Hugo has voted Labour and LD - he's a self-identified hipster and handwringer.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's a good piece and makes sense, but it is written by someone who has not ever been "Labour". It is hard to understand from the outside, but Labour really does create a strong emotional pull. Even now, as an ex-Labour voter, I would love to go back. But Corbyn and his mates are just a step too far. But then I am not a Labour member and have not been for years. I have not made the investment others have. And whether Hugo likes it or not, that is what it is. It does not make sense, it does create poison and it has a tendency to remove you from the real world, but I can understand how to leave would feel not only like a betrayal of yourself but also of your friends and even your family. I also guess that's why Labour attracts such vitriol from former members and supporters - it takes a hell of a lot to leave, so you get close to hating what it is you have said goodbye to. Dan Hodges hates Labour so much because he feels so let down by it. I am not at that stage yet, but my contempt is rising.
  • Options

Piers Morgan for me

Torturing to death is too good for him.

And that Alastair Campbell.

Personally, I'd just have them grow old under Tory majority Governments..... Far more cruel and unusual a punishment.
    If you believe Roger, that's a fate worse than death.
  • Options
    isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

240 hours of community service or 8 years. The mind boggles as to how the sentences can be so different for such similiar crimes (Yes I know one case is in Scotland, the other in England !). Perhaps around 6 months (Around 3 weeks inside iirc) would be appropriate for them both...
  • Options
    Wow - I'm glad I'm not a Kiwi bowler...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

antifrank said:

There's a strange aspect to this debate that I don't get. Why not have a residency requirement, eligibility for any state hand out being based on residence for X years. It's already used in the EU (Germany uses it to provide free University education).
    We have had the Habitual Residence Test which was introduced in the 1990s. The appropriate commissioners decided it was proven at just three months.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited November 2015
    @caprosser: Since EU referendums polls are in the news the @BESResearch random probability face-to-face survey has stay at 60.78% and leave at 39.22%.

@caprosser: I'm not saying the polls are definitely wrong again - may have changed since our fieldwork - but take EU polls with a grain of salt...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cyclefree said:

Or sport, Mrs Free. Lots of good wholesome games of rugger.
  • Options
    Without wandering into lagershed TMI, I just find that whole story beyond belief. I'm amazed it got to court, given that it did - all bets were off.
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

240 hours of community service or 8 years. The mind boggles as to how the sentences can be so different for such similiar crimes (Yes I know one case is in Scotland, the other in England !). Perhaps around 6 months (Around 3 weeks inside iirc) would be appropriate for them both...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Clearly the polls are well beyond any kind of margin of error. It's not just phone v online. ICM's online taken at the same time is 16 points different

All we can do is wait for a polling analysis from one of the polling gurus.

Well..

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/664805119393841153
  • Options
    chestnut said:

antifrank said:

It's the obvious solution, isn't it?

We already have a system of 'credits' in place for people that make themselves available for work. A similar system based on education/government training from 15 onwards would probably do the trick.
    Why wouldn't' it fall foul of EU law in the same way? Credit would have to be given for full-time education in other EU countries otherwise Britain would be discriminating against non-British but EU students.

The plain fact is that the EU thinks that being a national of a EU state should have no significance when it comes to matters such as jobs, benefits etc. Unless that principle is overturned or unless education is some special case, this won't work.

But we really need an expert on EU law to opine.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

antifrank said:

I think the ECJ over the last decade has been steadily trying to erode such differences. They work on the basis that we are all citizens of the EU and so should countries not be allowed to differentiate based on where in the EU you have been living. So far they have let countries such as Germany and Scotland (along with others) get away - as they see it - with the residency criteria, probably because no one has yet brought a case to them. But if it were extended to something as large as benefits then I suspect they would get the cases they need to rule and I would guess it would not go in favour of the scheme.
  • Options

As I said, wide eyed and innocent. Mr Corbyn may not indulge in vitriol himself. But he is perfectly relaxed about his supporters doing so. Indeed, he seems pretty keen to work with people who have indulged in it regularly - especially against Labour.

No, he's repeatedly told his supporters to cut out the abuse (obviously not practical to do it retrospectively). There is no shortage of wild-eyed characters in all parties who like nothing better than abusing their opponents (over the years, I've been called a killer (by George Galloway), a traitor and, most hurtfully, a pessimist...:-)), but I've yet to hear any of Corbyn's circle do so since they were appointed. And to be fair, with one or two exceptions, his Parliamentary opponents have broadly refrained from it in public too. I suspect things may be different after May, depending on the results.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited November 2015

Cyclefree said:

Or sport, Mrs Free. Lots of good wholesome games of rugger.
    That's the problem with Islam. No fornication, no gambling and no alcohol, no wonder they are so angry and frustrated.

What these chaps need is a private education and membership of a rugby club.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm not sure how they've done it - Jeremy Kyle is intving the daughter of Alan Henning right now. It's heartrending stuff. ITV.
  • Options
    When is Kellner going to come back with "I was convinced Remain would win, but now I'm not so sure".
  • Options

Jade Dernbach is the New Zealand bowling coach ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Roger said:

Cyclefree.

Aftercare is significantly poorer, I understand.

When I had colon cancer a few years ago the initial endoscopy was v. early April. I then went off for a weeks holiday and came back on Easter Saturday to a letter calling me in that day for an outpatient review. Couldn’t get through that afternoon... unsurprisingly ..... rang on Easter Tuesday and was fitted Wednesday afternoon.
    "You’ll almost certainly need an operation; review meeting on Thursday.Ring Friday and we’ll sort out when". Cancer was out and I’d started chemo by end of May.
    That was the NHS about 4 years ago.
    After that 6 months chemo, since then been going for regular reviews. Last one’s due May 2016.

Can’t I think, fault that. No, it wasn’t “matey”. Cousin had same thing about the same time, so referred to geneticist to see if there was a link. (There wasn’t).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

Cyclefree said:

Junior doctors are not 70's BL workers. They really feel backed into a corner with no alternative.
    People who are as intelligent, motivated, and hard-working as junior doctors are _always_ have alternatives.

Some of these include:

a) leave for Australia/Switzerland/Swaziland
    b) leave for an equally lucrative job in another profession (plenty of ex-doctors in the financial services industry, for example)
    c) suck it up to wait for the big bucks which will put their lifetime earnings at a level that most people can only dream of.

But they have chosen

d) to strike.

Limited sympathy.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2015

Jade Dernbach is the New Zealand bowling coach ?
    nope, there's 1 down.. i think our spinners are playing for them.
  • Options
    Australia are flat track bullying NZ rather well !
  • Options

UD

"Well.."

....I went on to say that it was surprising how often private pollsters got the result they hoped for but then removed it as it looked like I was impugning a pollsters integrity which wasn't my intention.....
  • Options

No, he's repeatedly told his supporters to cut out the abuse (obviously not practical to do it retrospectively). There is no shortage of wild-eyed characters in all parties who like nothing better than abusing their opponents (over the years, I've been called a killer (by George Galloway), a traitor and, most hurtfully, a pessimist...:-)), but I've yet to hear any of Corbyn's circle do so since they were appointed. And to be fair, with one or two exceptions, his Parliamentary opponents have broadly refrained from it in public too. I suspect things may be different after May, depending on the results.

Nuanced statement there Nick - "since they were appointed". Carefully excludes his key advisor - suspended from Labour - but in whom Corbyn still has confidence.

Honestly, the arguments Corbyn supporters use to excuse really vile behaviour and speech would not disgrace the Jesuits.
  • Options
    This pair of tweets is worth reading:

Andy White ‏@AndyDataSci · 8h8 hours ago
    @Survation how often do you poll for Leave.EU? Were there other unpublished polls with more favourable scores for Remain?

Survation. ‏@Survation · 1h1 hour ago
    @AndyDataSci 1) Second poll. 2) No, only published ones. If you are claiming client/pollster bias, perhaps read: http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Europoll-Tables-for-Release.pdf

Survation are being a bit tetchy there. It's a legitimate question to ask whether there have been other unpublished polls. Leave.EU wouldn't be the first organisation to publish polls selectively. But it's useful to know that so far they haven't.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    antifrank said:

Good shout. I am not a lawyer, but wonder if it would then be discriminatory to say those who had been in FTE in EU couldn't claim.

Wonder if we could bring back the citizen services idea, and class it as contribution in kind for NEETS....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

There are alot of sensible suggestions on PB.com that are so broadly agreeable and make common sense that you know they will never, ever see the light of day as legislation.
    One of the reasons this will probably never see the light of day is that it seems the politics are running the other way at the moment, in the sense that NI may well be merged with tax. Or at least first steps might be about to be taken. We may hear more on this when Osborne does his budget in November.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited November 2015
    antifrank said:

@Survation how often do you poll for Leave.EU? Were there other unpublished polls with more favourable scores for Remain?

@AndyDataSci 1) Second poll. 2) No, only published ones. If you are claiming client/pollster bias, perhaps read: http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Europoll-Tables-for-Release.pdf

Survation are being a bit tetchy there. It's a legitimate question to ask whether there have been other unpublished polls. Leave.EU wouldn't be the first organisation to publish polls selectively. But it's useful to know that so far they haven't.

Aren't they just answering the questions? (and the implied third one)
  • Options
    Isn't the youth citizens service running still now? Sure I saw stories about it over the summer.
    Mortimer said:

antifrank said:

Good shout. I am not a lawyer, but wonder if it would then be discriminatory to say those who had been in FTE in EU couldn't claim.

Wonder if we could bring back the citizen services idea, and class it as contribution in kind for NEETS....

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Th Hippocratic Oath seems to come with a price tag
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

The difference is that England has Minimum Sentencing and the Scottish Government is committed to Judicial independence, as I understand it. Hence the difference in these two cases.

However, having said that, there is again a clear need for Sexual Misconduct to be introduced as a separate offence to Rape and Sexual Assault.

But like all things in this area, good luck being a politician trying to introduce this.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Junior doctors are not 70's BL workers. They really feel backed into a corner with no alternative.
    People who are as intelligent, motivated, and hard-working as junior doctors are _always_ have alternatives.

Some of these include:

a) leave for Australia/Switzerland/Swaziland
    b) leave for an equally lucrative job in another profession (plenty of ex-doctors in the financial services industry, for example)
    c) suck it up to wait for the big bucks which will put their lifetime earnings at a level that most people can only dream of.

But they have chosen

d) to strike.

Limited sympathy.
    Doctors continually make the mistake of naming and blaming Hunt, as the reason for industrial action. That's what stands out, rather than any concerns for the patients. They're playing politics with lives.

Once they strike and people die, the anecdotes will fly, and kill off any public sympathy.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

@caprosser: Since EU referendums polls are in the news the @BESResearch random probability face-to-face survey has stay at 60.78% and leave at 39.22%.

@caprosser: I'm not saying the polls are definitely wrong again - may have changed since our fieldwork - but take EU polls with a grain of salt...

I'd say the Dead sea rather than a grain - the Guardian article reckon s the BES is spot on when it comes to polling.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/13/new-research-general-election-polls-inaccurate?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

Nice to see you treat rape so lightly.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Aren't they just answering the questions? (and the implied third one)
    I didn't read it as implying the third question. It would normally be Leave.EU's decision whether polls are published.

The Lib Dems before the election published constituency polls which showed them in the game. They didn't publish many other constituency polls which were less helpful. That doesn't mean that the pollsters who prepared them were obtaining biased results for the Lib Dems (quite the contrary, if you think about it).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nuanced statement there Nick - "since they were appointed". Carefully excludes his key advisor - suspended from Labour - but in whom Corbyn still has confidence.

Applies to him too. Has he said anything objectionable since he was appointed? I don't like the nasty personal style of his past comments, but so long as he cuts them out now, I don't insist on retrospective vetting. But it's important to insist on that - as McDonnell wryly says, "Jeremy is trying to teach me to be a nicer person" :-).

In any party shift of position on the spectrum, you're going to get people who were previously harsh critics to revise their view, and people who were previously supporters to express vehement and sometimes personal opposition, like Southam. It's as pointless to blame Fisher for being previously critical of Labour as it is to be blame Southam for being previously supportive.
  • Options
    Today's safe prediction:

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul · 44s44 seconds ago
    I predict that @jeremycorbyn *won't* say it's a "tragedy" that Emwazi was denied due judicial process.
  • Options

Turnout is going to be a huge factor in the result. I don't know how pollsters are accounting for this - presumably by weighting, as usual - but whether it's 45% or 55% could make a big impact on the result.

I pretty much agree with Sean Fear on this: London and the South-East, Bristol, Manchester, the Scottish central belt, the nationalist parts of Northern Ireland and the university cities will be for Remain.

Everywhere else will be for Leave, but it does depend on if they turn out: older voters grit vs. C2DE apathy.

Which will win?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

And so the idiocy begins.
  • Options
    OKC

I'm sure it is. Diagnosis is what BUPA or other providers are good at. Calls on your mobile "When can you make it for a scan/biopsy?". Much better and more reassuring than a letter in a brown envelope sent second class post telling you to turn up for an appointment in six weeks time....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree.

One for you

• Options
    @Foxinsox

"... Junior doctors are not 70's BL workers...."

No they are not but this dispute seems to be about money, just like many at the old British Leyland. The doctors want more of it and are threatening to strike unless they get it. The employers have offered an 11% payrise and the doctors have turned it down and now, I read in the Telegraph, are threatening an all out strike. Seems very similar to BL days to me. Even the language being used is similar, workers forced into a corner with no alternative but to withdraw their labour etc. etc.

Of course the difference is that BL workers never proposed leaving people in pain and allowing them to do die prematurely. So in that sense junior doctors are certainly not like 1970s BL workers. The idea that a doctor will, in furtherance of his/her financial gain, leave patients untreated and to die is to me astonishing and anyone who indulges in such rampant selfishness will deserve to become a social outcast.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WikiGuido: Opening book on Corbyn's statement:
    "...but" Evens
    "Legally questionable" 2/1
    "Extra-judicial killing" 5/1
    "Tragedy" 50/1
    "Welcome" 100/1
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@WikiGuido: Opening book on Corbyn's statement:
    "...but" Evens
    "Legally questionable" 2/1
    "Extra-judicial killing" 5/1
    "Tragedy" 50/1
    "Welcome" 100/1

What stakes is he offering on "but"? I'd be a heavy buyer at evens.

Guido missed out "friends". That's surely worth a price too.
  • Options
    http://tinyurl.com/ow65k8q

Requiescat in pace.

Not too much pace obviously.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

@Foxinsox

No they are not but this dispute seems to be about money, just like many at the old British Leyland. The doctors want more of it and are threatening to strike unless they get it. The employers have offered an 11% payrise and the doctors have turned it down and now, I read in the Telegraph, are threatening an all out strike. Seems very similar to BL days to me. Even the language being used is similar, workers forced into a corner with no alternative but to withdraw their labour etc. etc.

Of course the difference is that BL workers never proposed leaving people in pain and allowing them to do die prematurely. So in that sense junior doctors are certainly not like 1970s BL workers. The idea that a doctor will, in furtherance of his/her financial gain, leave patients untreated and to die is to me astonishing and anyone who indulges in such rampant selfishness will deserve to become a social outcast.

Or to be Machiavellian:

What is the easiest way for a Tory government get the public on side for radical dismantling and privatisation of the NHS?

Get the public to turn against the greed of the well paid employees.

Play the long game.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Some years ago I was given the "3..4 months to live " bad news... followed up with "You can see the Consultant Oncologist in six weeks time"...Half my allotted life span...I immediately went private .. interviewed three consultants...flew one in from America, picked the procedure, the hospital and the date for the op....in and out within the six weeks.Cost a fortune..but hey..
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Roger said:

OKC

I'm sure it is. Diagnosis is what BUPA or other providers are good at. Calls on your mobile "When can you make it for a scan/biopsy?". Much better and more reassuring than a letter in a brown envelope sent second class post telling you to turn up for an appointment in six weeks time....

Not my experience, Roger. I’ve had calls, admittedly on my landline, for appointments.

And aftercare is part of the treatment. IMHO BUPA etc should be charged for the aftercare that they, effectively, pass on to the NHS. Along with the emergency admission to and NHS ITU when something goes wromg in the BUPA operating theatre, which BUPA’s people can’t deal with.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

But it's important to insist on that - as McDonnell wryly says, "Jeremy is trying to teach me to be a nicer person" :-).

Re-education, Re-education, Re-education....

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited November 2015
    Good morning all. Jihadi John meeting his maker; what a lovely start to the day, if true.

When Jenny (my beloved wife) was enduring each successive diagnosis, I thought I would lose my mind as we waited (again and again) for results to come through. I find it hard to express how much sympathy I have with anyone undergoing the same process.

I hope, but doubt, that the doctor's strike will not add one day to anyone's waiting. I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic to their cause.

In terms of the recent rape case, I'm struggling with the 8 year sentence. That will doubtless be seen as an apologia for rape (because it's the Internet which seems to inhibit nuanced thinking).

In this case it's the sense that the definition of rape seems to encompass fraud (I don't think there's any question of violence being part of this particular equation). Transgender people have to deal with this tricky ethical question a good deal (e.g. should a post-op transwoman tell a sexual partner her birth gender?). I've yet to see a good, universally applicable answer.

• Options
    Nicola SturgeonVerified account ‏@NicolaSturgeon ·
    It was a tough job, ladies, but someone had to do it #Scotbizawards

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTpd7TOXIAAjYq9.jpg

*mmph mmph mmph mmph*
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jamesmatesitv: Latest @IfopOpinion French Presidential poll:
    Marine Le Pen 28%
    Sarkozy 23%
    Hollande 21%
  • Options

@Foxinsox

I am happy to argue about it later.

1) the deal is a substantial paycut, not a payrise
    2) the cut is biggest for those working weekends already
    3) these doctors are trainees and there is no protection for training
    4) the contract removes the obligation for Trusts to monitor working hours to ensure they comply with the law
    5) it discriminates against women and people taking career breaks for research etc

I have not yet met a Doctor at any level that supports the contract. Mr Hunt refuses to negotiate without preconditions or the threat of unilateral imposition.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Nicola SturgeonVerified account ‏@NicolaSturgeon ·
    It was a tough job, ladies, but someone had to do it #Scotbizawards

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTpd7TOXIAAjYq9.jpg

*mmph mmph mmph mmph*

The Krankies Redux will be pulling them into the Dundee Panto....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Yawn, who cares they are a bunch of plonkers and ar** lickers anyway. Anybody impressed by a herd of donkeys masquerading as important is mental. They are well named , Toilet council is very apt.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    edited November 2015
    philiph said:

@Foxinsox

Or to be Machiavellian:

What is the easiest way for a Tory government get the public on side for radical dismantling and privatisation of the NHS?

Play the long game.
    My social media networks are FULL of junior doctors getting each other very excited about:

a) Jeremy Hunt and how much they dislike him - frequently expressed in the highest of doctorly insults: that they don't think he is competant
    b) How they're all hoping for the strike
    c) How this is a cynical ploy played out by unpleasant Tories who want to sell the NHS to their friends.

How they can't see that b) is going to facilitate the argument for c) I just don't get. They're generally pretty bright people. Politics is not their strong point, though.

Not a single person who isn't a medic has responded. It is yet another public sector echo chamber event.

Public sympathy will evaporate on hour 1 of a strike.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

@jamesmatesitv: Latest @IfopOpinion French Presidential poll:
    Marine Le Pen 28%
    Sarkozy 23%
    Hollande 21%

Go Le Pen! I'm backstopping a 'Remain' win in our referendum by hoping that the whole edifice will collapse due to changes in other EU countries :).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

@Foxinsox

Hurst well said , a bunch of greedy grasping over privileged whingers.
  • Options
    philiph said:

@Foxinsox

Or to be Machiavellian:

Play the long game.
    I do not for one moment believe that there is a desire to dismantle the NHS, let alone a Machiavellian plan to bring it about. To go there is really to enter tin-foil hat country.

The use of the word greed is interesting because this seems to me to be an old fashioned industrial dispute. The employer is trying to solve a problem (people dying unnecessarily because the quacks are taking weekends off) by changing working practices; the employees union is trying to get the best financial deal for its members in exchange (and let us remember the BMA is a trade union, nothing more).
  • Options

@Foxinsox

I am happy to argue about it later.

1) the deal is a substantial paycut, not a payrise
    2) the cut is biggest for those working weekends already
    3) these doctors are trainees and there is no protection for training
    4) the contract removes the obligation for Trusts to monitor working hours to ensure they comply with the law
    5) it discriminates against women and people taking career breaks for research etc

I have not yet met a Doctor at any level that supports the contract. Mr Hunt refuses to negotiate without preconditions or the threat of unilateral imposition.
    So what you are saying is that because they will not negotiate if Hunt has preconditions, they would rather not negotiate at all and have him simply impose the changes which they could otherwise have mitigated through negotiation. And in the meantime they will let a few patients die to prove a point.

I am sorry I never realised our doctors were so fecking stupid.
This discussion has been closed.