Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the veracity of the story this could stick to “Cal

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    JWisemann said:

MTimT said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Seems that Alex Massie believes there will be a Tory surge in Scotland based on them being able to appeal to the middle ground Devo Maxers.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-labour-still-a-unionist-party/

Shame that the middle ground may well not exist any more.

Well Comres and Yougov yesterday had the Scottish Tories over 20% compared to the 14% they got in May
    Yesterday you wrote : -

Comres is also clearly wrong on subsamples as there is no way the Tories are ahead in Wales, the North and London when they were not even ahead there at the general election.

If you are going to be selective in your Pick'n'Mix reliance on tiny subsamples, you will need to at least be consistent.
    The Conservatives did very well in Wales in May and Wales has a pretty abject Labour Government failing on health and education in particular
    Indeed, the first statistic of a dramatically new trend is always going to be seen at the time as an outlier. So when we get an outlier, we have no way of knowing whether it is in truth an outlier, or the first sign of a dramatic new trend.
    There is no way the Tories are ahead in Wales.
    I was not commenting on that. I was making a general comment about dismissing data out of hand because it does not meet with expectations.

FWIW, I don't think the Tories are ahead in Wales, London, the North or Scotland.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,398
    I see very little signs that there is any growth in tory support in Scotland. Labour support may well be still falling and the gap between them might shrink but the idea of the Tories, even under the excellent Ruth, becoming the champions of the Unionist cause seems much more of an aspiration than a reality

• Options

MTimT said:

Scott Walker to Drop Out of Presidential Race

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is the latest casualty of the crowded Republican…

Scott Walker to Drop Out of 2016 Republican Presidential Race

After a dramatic fall from the top tier of Republican presidential field, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is set to abruptly end his White House bid today.

My guess is his backers have told him they are turning off the tap.
    So where are they going?

Rubio, Jeb or Kasich, would be my guess.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Also FPT @DavidL:-

Don't be so gloomy. Judging by your posts you seem to have it right: a wife and daughter to be proud of.

Put it this way, during my late teens my father was ill - dying in fact - and he died 3 weeks before my 21st birthday in my 2nd year at uni. I was well into my twenties before I really learnt to be me and not just a mass of unhappy and furious resentment at my loss.

We live the life we live. No point worrying about "what if". So long as you leave happy memories and people remember you - if they remember you at all - with affection and a smile on their face - well, what else - really - is there.

That is really sad Cyclefree. I was lucky that although both my parents died young (smokers) I was well past that stage before losing them.

I am very content with my life now. I just wished I had been more adventurous when I was younger but then, I probably wouldn't have what I have now would I? 3 kids by the way, all interesting and fun.
    I have 3 too. I am - once they are all finally launched - and 2 seem to be on their way, tentatively, intending to do all sorts of adventurous things. In some ways, when you encounter death when young, you become very serious then - you are dragged, kicking and screaming into the adult world - and lighten up later.

• Options
    If this story about DC was true then it would surely have leaked out sooner. Whilst only the members of this absurd club may have witnessed it first hand it is the kind of story that would have spread more widely amongst students. Someone would have remembered the story before now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The SUN feels left out...

@TheSun: EXCLUSIVE: David Cameron attended A-list cocaine party http://t.co/SNZQzgjo60 http://t.co/9YrZe8V9hM

Is that it? Dave attended a party where *other people* did drugs?

I don't think there's ever been an A-list party in London ever where someone hasn't.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JamieRoss7: What do we have here then? Fox hunting, posh mates, ineptitude. Nope, no pigs. Show's over, lads. http://t.co/jDeJ0sQobn
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Don't be so gloomy. Judging by your posts you seem to have it right: a wife and daughter to be proud of.

Put it this way, during my late teens my father was ill - dying in fact - and he died 3 weeks before my 21st birthday in my 2nd year at uni. I was well into my twenties before I really learnt to be me and not just a mass of unhappy and furious resentment at my loss.

We live the life we live. No point worrying about "what if". So long as you leave happy memories and people remember you - if they remember you at all - with affection and a smile on their face - well, what else - really - is there.

I had a similar sort of experience and still hurts today even 30 years later.

One thing to always remember is that Squadron Leader Cyclefree, he of one of the few, would be immensely proud......

That's all that matters really and all else pales........ That's the way I always look at it anyway.
    I really hope so. I miss him every single day and realise now how much I - or the best of me (whatever that is) - owe to him and my mother.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TheSun: EXCLUSIVE: David Cameron attended A-list cocaine party http://t.co/SNZQzgjo60 http://t.co/9YrZe8V9hM

The thing about that is that it allegedly happened whilst he was PM. I find that astonishing. You have the PM and his wife at a party and you embarrass them by having people behaving like that in front of them? What a plonker. Some people are just idiots.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    scotslass said:

HYUFD

"Well Comres and Yougov yesterday had the Scottish Tories over 20% compared to the 14% they got in May"

You really are incorrigible HYUFD. Yesterday you said that the Comres sub samples were rubbish!

There have been 8 full opinion polls since the May election. Last one last week. Average Tory vote just under 14 per cent. Last one 14 per cent. Election performance in 2011 14 per cent.

Tory revival in Scotland - Oh yes and pigs might fly!

Most of those polls were taken before Corbyn's election as leader and most were taken before Sturgeon started to push a potential new indyref, either way in Scotland at least Corbyn's election seems to have boosted the Tories as both the polls taken AFTER his election in Scotland suggest and also to have hit the SNP at least a little. As to whether it has boosted Labour we shall see, yougov suggested it had, comres disagreed
  • Options

If this story about DC was true then it would surely have leaked out sooner. Whilst only the members of this absurd club may have witnessed it first hand it is the kind of story that would have spread more widely amongst students. Someone would have remembered the story before now.

That's one thing that's got me suspicious as well.

And as the McAlpine affair showed, it might not be true even if it had leaked earlier and was a commonly-known rumour amongst the chatterati.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    scotslass said:

HYUFD

"Well Comres and Yougov yesterday had the Scottish Tories over 20% compared to the 14% they got in May"

You really are incorrigible HYUFD. Yesterday you said that the Comres sub samples were rubbish!

There have been 8 full opinion polls since the May election. Last one last week. Average Tory vote just under 14 per cent. Last one 14 per cent. Election performance in 2011 14 per cent.

It's fun to watch HYUFD squirm and try to defend the utter hypocrisy being shown here. A smarter person would just give up for a few hours and hope it will all be forgotten (the Cameron option perhaps).

But these Loyalists are nothing if not zealots and they just cannot give up a thread on Scotland hate no matter what sort of contortions their arguments require,.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Cyclefree said:

Anyone shagging animals tonight?

I really hate the word "shag". It sounds so, I don't know, hairy and perfunctory. A quick poke on a nylon carpet in some second rate and faintly smelly B&B. Lust is wonderful. Sex is great. Fuck is awesome. But "shag" - so common, as Alan Bennett's mother might have put it (except she wouldn't, of course).
    I think your interpretation of "shag" is spot on, and I think that's the beauty of the English language. "A quick shag", particularly with the right intonation, describes exactly what it is. I think your hatred of the word is actually tribute to its qualities, Ugly words have as much right to the light as lovely words.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

That is really sad Cyclefree. I was lucky that although both my parents died young (smokers) I was well past that stage before losing them.

I am very content with my life now. I just wished I had been more adventurous when I was younger but then, I probably wouldn't have what I have now would I? 3 kids by the way, all interesting and fun.
    I have 3 too. I am - once they are all finally launched - and 2 seem to be on their way, tentatively, intending to do all sorts of adventurous things. In some ways, when you encounter death when young, you become very serious then - you are dragged, kicking and screaming into the adult world - and lighten up later.

I gathered that from your post on shag!

Mine are spread out and I will be well into my 60s before the last is finished Uni but we had the privilege of a young child around for many years and I find them a delight.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It also says he did not take it himself, was embarrassed others were, but did not feel he could say anything
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is presumably a different source to the Mail/Ashcroft allegations.

Has Cameron's refusal to sue the Mail over #piggate led to an open season where the papers realise that he just cannot afford (in political terms not financial) to sue such things.

There will be myriad unsubstantiated stories about Cameron the various tabloids are sitting on which could now start appearing.
  • Options
    @MTimT
    Has there been any update from the Feds re the FIFA investigation?
    It all seems to have gone quiet.

(Apologies if I've misremembered and that it wasn't you that provided the analysis some months ago.)
  • Options
    scotslass said:

HYUFD

Scotland needs a centre right party and they do have a good leader
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JamieRoss7: What do we have here then? Fox hunting, posh mates, ineptitude. Nope, no pigs. Show's over, lads. http://t.co/jDeJ0sQobn

Ashcroft has hugely overplayed his hand IMHO. I expect the story will soon turn to his ugly lust for vengeance and retribution.

He has acted with childish churlishness and petulance. And he too will come to regret it in time.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I really hate the word "shag". It sounds so, I don't know, hairy and perfunctory. A quick poke on a nylon carpet in some second rate and faintly smelly B&B. Lust is wonderful. Sex is great. Fuck is awesome. But "shag" - so common, as Alan Bennett's mother might have put it (except she wouldn't, of course).
    I'm shocked young Ms. Cyclefree. Shocked, I tell you!
    I'm sorry. I feel I have to enter into the spirit of PB which has, how can I put it, become rather Bacchanalian in recent days. If we're going to have all this Decameron-like activity could we at least have lovely language to do it with?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    Scott_P said:

Yeah, leading on the pig thing has really left little else to go with - accusations of incompetence and the like are much more subjective (US officials don't seem the best placed to point to incompetence over foreign affairs, true though it may well be), and the rest is not weird at least. I wonder how many days of this there is to be though, the good lord must have found plenty of people to savage Cameron, and some of it will no doubt be fair game.
    MTimT said:

After a dramatic fall from the top tier of Republican presidential field, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is set to abruptly end his White House bid today.

With some of the others I cannot figure out why anyone would turn on the tap in the first place.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

MTimT said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Seems that Alex Massie believes there will be a Tory surge in Scotland based on them being able to appeal to the middle ground Devo Maxers.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-labour-still-a-unionist-party/

Well Comres and Yougov yesterday had the Scottish Tories over 20% compared to the 14% they got in May

Comres is also clearly wrong on subsamples as there is no way the Tories are ahead in Wales, the North and London when they were not even ahead there at the general election.

If you are going to be selective in your Pick'n'Mix reliance on tiny subsamples, you will need to at least be consistent.
    The Conservatives did very well in Wales in May and Wales has a pretty abject Labour Government failing on health and education in particular
    Indeed, the first statistic of a dramatically new trend is always going to be seen at the time as an outlier. So when we get an outlier, we have no way of knowing whether it is in truth an outlier, or the first sign of a dramatic new trend.
    Agreed but that is because of South Wales and the Valleys which has always been rock solid labour
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

One thing to always remember is that Squadron Leader Cyclefree, he of one of the few, would be immensely proud......

That's all that matters really and all else pales........ That's the way I always look at it anyway.
    Yes - and thank you.

• Options

@MTimT

(Apologies if I've misremembered and that it wasn't you that provided the analysis some months ago.)

Other Tim in the USA - TimB. But new charges and arrests are anticipated as the authorities go through some 11 terabytes of seized data...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-corruption-scandal-new-arrests-and-charges-likely-following-fbi-involvement-sepp-blatter-deal-being-investigate-10500372.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It also says he did not take it himself, was embarrassed others were, but did not feel he could say anything
    Then he's a weak tosspot. He's the PM for fecks sake. Any hint of him turning a blind eye to some posh twat snorting Columbian marching powder in his presence could well be terminal for him.
  • Options
    Dair said:

scotslass said:

HYUFD

It's fun to watch HYUFD squirm and try to defend the utter hypocrisy being shown here. A smarter person would just give up for a few hours and hope it will all be forgotten (the Cameron option perhaps).

But these Loyalists are nothing if not zealots and they just cannot give up a thread on Scotland hate no matter what sort of contortions their arguments require,.
    Its fun to watch nats like you try to deny that Corbyn's election has boosted the Scottish Tories when the facts are clear, yougov had the Tories on 21% in Scotland yesterday, Comres the Tories on 23% in Scotland. In both polls the SNP were also below the 50% they got at the election. Attack me all you like, I let the facts speak for themselves

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i41vkd4xdd/SundayTimesResults_150918_Website.pdf

http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IoS-SM-September-Poll_Tables.pdf
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Second day not as damaging as the first one:

https://twitter.com/BreakwellNeil/status/646068766636404741/photo/1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Then he's a weak tosspot. He's the PM for fecks sake. Any hint of him turning a blind eye to some posh twat snorting Columbian marching powder in his presence could well be terminal for him.
    I have to say I think the opposite.

I think turning a blind eye will not change anyone's perspective on him.

Surely we've all known drug takers at some point?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

MTimT said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

I'd agree with that. The Conservatives have won one national election in Wales in the last 150 years (i.e. Generals, Europeans, Assembly): the 2009 European, and that only just. Labour was just shy of 10% ahead in May. There's not going to have been a five per cent swing to the Conservatives since then.

That said, the country is trending towards Blue. It won't be 150 years before the next win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, leading on the pig thing has really left little else to go with - accusations of incompetence and the like are much more subjective (US officials don't seem the best placed to point to incompetence over foreign affairs, true though it may well be), and the rest is not weird at least. I wonder how many days of this there is to be though, the good lord must have found plenty of people to savage Cameron, and some of it will no doubt be fair game.
    MTimT said:

With some of the others I cannot figure out why anyone would turn on the tap in the first place.
    Huckabee showed in 2008 that it does not take a lot of cash to run a low key campaign, even well into election year. I suspect the kids' table candidates don't have big operations to fund. And frankly, I have no idea why Pataki, Graham and Gilmore ever entered the race.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Scott_P said:

'To make love to one pig may be regarded as a misfortune, to make love to two looks like carelessness'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I have to say I think the opposite.

I think turning a blind eye will not change anyone's perspective on him.

Surely we've all known drug takers at some point?
    It makes him look hypocritical. He condemns drug taking in public, but turns a blind eye when his circle do it in his presence.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

I suppose that is why people are sheep shaggers. It is a useful word for a fairly tawdry form of sex.

Though I well remember being asked by a Dutch girl if I wanted a shag or a cigarette. (Unfortunately she meant a shag tobacco rollie).
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015
    perdix said:

calum said:

Another Ian Dale book just published - not making quite the same splash as the Ashcroft book !! - but an excellent behind the scenes insight into the Better Together campaign by Joe Pike:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Fear-Unlikely-Alliance-Kingdom/dp/1849549311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442865112&sr=1-1

I used to respect Iain Dale but his association with Ashcroft's book has changed my mind.
    Never mind how much this book will cost - it is 600 pages according to the BBC. It will weigh a ton. But 600 bages - I mean how many pages does it take to say hate you you effing barstard!!!'

I note that the BBC main items were Osborne in China (as pointed out earlier) and their investment in nuclear power (as pointed out earlier) and the regeneration of Birmingham New Street and regenerating and powerhouses (as pointed out earlier). Success and growth in the politically vital Midlands seats and in the burgeoning North.
    The real point about regenerating Birmingham New Street by public money is that it makes renationalising the railways pretty pointless.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

scotslass said:

HYUFD

Its fun to watch nats like you try to deny that Corbyn's election has boosted the Scottish Tories when the facts are clear, yougov had the Tories on 21% in Scotland yesterday, Comres the Tories on 23% in Scotland. In both polls the SNP were also below the 50% they got at the election. Attack me all you like, I let the facts speak for themselves

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i41vkd4xdd/SundayTimesResults_150918_Website.pdf

It's even more fun to watch two people pointlessly arguing the toss over a couple of unrepresentative and meaningless subsamples.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

This is presumably a different source to the Mail/Ashcroft allegations.

Has Cameron's refusal to sue the Mail over #piggate led to an open season where the papers realise that he just cannot afford (in political terms not financial) to sue such things.

There will be myriad unsubstantiated stories about Cameron the various tabloids are sitting on which could now start appearing.
    Er No.. You talk bollocks 24/7
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

How do these things usually play out?

If I was doing a serialisation over 5 days, I'd open with the second most scandalous revelation and save the big hit for the third or fourth day.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I see very little signs that there is any growth in tory support in Scotland. Labour support may well be still falling and the gap between them might shrink but the idea of the Tories, even under the excellent Ruth, becoming the champions of the Unionist cause seems much more of an aspiration than a reality

Yougov had both the Tories and Labour up in Scotland, Comres also had the Tories up too
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

How do these things usually play out?

If I was doing a serialisation over 5 days, I'd open with the second most scandalous revelation and save the big hit for the third or fourth day.
    I await it eagerly, though despite some playing it down as youthful larks, I'm hard pressed to imagine what would be worse than the pig thing - something illegal and stupid, no doubt.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and thank you.

Rule No 1

My wife died suddenly in Nov 2012 and I was in a bad place..

The most important thing to remember is that however bad and sad you might be feeling, there is someone in a worse position than you are..
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I think your interpretation of "shag" is spot on, and I think that's the beauty of the English language. "A quick shag", particularly with the right intonation, describes exactly what it is. I think your hatred of the word is actually tribute to its qualities, Ugly words have as much right to the light as lovely words.
    I love the English language. I love its vulgarity and muscularity and clarity and the way you can paint pictures with words. I love the way it soars above the quotidian and can in a moment bring you to earth with a bump. It is wonderfully supple and musical.

But - at the risk of shocking Mr C Royale even more - in communication - as indeed in sex - speed is not a virtue.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Your reaching desperation is becoming more and more comical. You are now a mere parody of the typical Tory supporting, Labour voting North British Loyalist.

You spent most of the two months arguing that the election of Ken MacIntosh and Jeremy Corbyn would hurt the SNP badly and boost SLAB. Then when MacIntosh lost to Kezia, you just ignored the Scottish dimension and spent the next few weeks focusing solely on how Corbyn would hurt the SNP and boost SLAB.

Now Corbyn has been elected, and the SNP are untouched, SLAB unboosted, you turn to a brand new straw clutching argument, and worse you are trying to base it on two tiny subsamples, one of which you have already said is rubbish.

Please don't stop, your comedy value is excellent.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

scotslass said:

HYUFD

It's even more fun to watch two people pointlessly arguing the toss over a couple of unrepresentative and meaningless subsamples.
    Maybe, but at least I had the facts on my side, we await and see what stories future Scottish polls tell
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Why? It was well known Blair attended dinners with celebs like George Michael where drugs were taken. What do you expect him to do, demand his protection officers arrest half his fellow guests?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MTimT said:

@MTimT

Other Tim in the USA - TimB. But new charges and arrests are anticipated as the authorities go through some 11 terabytes of seized data...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-corruption-scandal-new-arrests-and-charges-likely-following-fbi-involvement-sepp-blatter-deal-being-investigate-10500372.html
    It's the nature of FBI investigations that there are few leaks or comments. They take their time, are extremely thorough, and leave no stone unturned. They have infinite patience and limitless resources. They are utterly relentless. There's a reason Blatter won't leave Switzerland.

The only reason we know that the FBI are recovering deleted emails from Clinton's server is that State have requested copies of them.

If the FBI are investigating you, you have reason to be concerned.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Speedy said:
    Old news

It just is .....that came out last year I think after the vote that Milliband was going to support but then flipped on
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

Scott_P said:

Is that it? Dave attended a party where *other people* did drugs?

I don't think there's ever been an A-list party in London ever where someone hasn't.
    Amazingly, some people still think there has been a war on drugs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Why? It was well known Blair attended dinners with celebs like George Michael where drugs were taken. What do you expect him to do, demand his protection officers arrest half his fellow guests?
    | would expect a sensible politician to make his excuses, leave and not come back. It is way too risky, even by association.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I love the English language. I love its vulgarity and muscularity and clarity and the way you can paint pictures with words. I love the way it soars above the quotidian and can in a moment bring you to earth with a bump. It is wonderfully supple and musical.

But - at the risk of shocking Mr C Royale even more - in communication - as indeed in sex - speed is not a virtue.

I have learnt the hard way that, in communication, speed can indeed be a virtue.

My wife was backing up her truck, me in the passenger seat.

Me "Honey, mind the back of the ...." Crunch as she hits my car.
    Wife "Why didn't you just yell 'STOP!'?"
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jock papers are like Eck - not as funny as they think they are.

Matts butcher shop cartoon tomorrow is far superior.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

@MTimT

Thank you for the correction.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and thank you.

Rule No 1

The most important thing to remember is that however bad and sad you might be feeling, there is someone in a worse position than you are..

Yazidis.
  • Options
    Speedy said:
    Some might say incompetence leading to war and death should be more damaging than speculation about student high jinks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, yes. He can't spout stuff like this

"I don’t believe in decriminalising drugs that are illegal today. I’m a parent with three children; I don’t want to send out a message that somehow taking these drugs is OK or safe.”

Then just turn a blind eye to his mates doing a few lines while he's around, because he feels a bit awkward. If he gets himself into those sort of positions, perhaps he really isn't fit to be PM.
  • Options
    Kezia Dugdale is on Scotland Tonight at the moment.

In a bizarre and spectacularly surreal diatribe, she is trying to promote SLAB by using the record of Welsh Labour in Government.

I kid you not.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Wonderfully put Ms Cyclefree. Indeed English is a great language, Shakespeare certainly had the advantage over his contemporaries.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Your reaching desperation is becoming more and more comical. You are now a mere parody of the typical Tory supporting, Labour voting North British Loyalist.

You spent most of the two months arguing that the election of Ken MacIntosh and Jeremy Corbyn would hurt the SNP badly and boost SLAB. Then when MacIntosh lost to Kezia, you just ignored the Scottish dimension and spent the next few weeks focusing solely on how Corbyn would hurt the SNP and boost SLAB.

Now Corbyn has been elected, and the SNP are untouched, SLAB unboosted, you turn to a brand new straw clutching argument, and worse you are trying to base it on two tiny subsamples, one of which you have already said is rubbish.

First the SNP is not untouched, they won 50% at the election, comres yesterday had them down to 49%, yougov had them down to 44%. Yougov yesterday had SLAB up to 28%.
    As for the Scottish Tories when one poll shows them up it could be an outlier, when two do it suggests a trend.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The Sun frontpage looks typical Sun tabloid form, the contents as always are less serious:

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/646075653565972480/photo/1
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I gathered that from your post on shag!

Mine are spread out and I will be well into my 60s before the last is finished Uni but we had the privilege of a young child around for many years and I find them a delight.
    interesting to note that shag rose during the 60's and then became less active in the 80's before following the unemployment curve of the last Labour government. I blame two shags.

;-)

http://tinyurl.com/ok85jch
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yougov had both the Tories and Labour up in Scotland, Comres also had the Tories up too
    There should be a gap. The Lib Dems are stone cold dead and Labour is in melt down. I just see no sign that it is helping the Tories much and after the election I look at polls and compare them with actual experience.

I repeat I see no signs and the few local by elections in Scotland in recent times have indicated nothing much happening either.

The Scottish Parliamentary elections should be interesting. I would expect the Tories to pick up a small number of constituency seats, especially in the borders and other areas where the Lib Dems used to be players. But 20%+? I will believe that when I see it.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I think your guess is exactly right.

http://time.com/4043482/scott-walker-campaign-end/
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @ HYUFD "First the SNP is not untouched, they won 50% at the election, comres yesterday had them down to 49%"

This actually made me snort out loud! (In a Starbucks, a few looks from others)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Cyclefree said:

Great post - sympathies, but congratulations at the same time at being able to put it so well.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

@ HYUFD "First the SNP is not untouched, they won 50% at the election, comres yesterday had them down to 49%"

Well still technically correct, even though not as large a drop as yougov which had them down to 44%
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD is really reaching new heights of madness.

It's comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMlzsWLDSoI
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nor is brevity a vice.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn't he have security with him all the time? Wouldn't they notice and steer him away? PMs don't really have any privacy, do they, when they are PM?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    FPT DavidL - I had a very sober university time too - in your case it was religion, in my case communism. Apart from studying, enjoying myself seemed an undesirable distraction from working for a better world.

Almost any belief, taken to excess, is ultimately daft.
  • Options
    Oakshott looking shifty on Newsnight - not sure she is fully behind this book. Hope she got paid well.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Kezia Dugdale is on Scotland Tonight at the moment.

In a bizarre and spectacularly surreal diatribe, she is trying to promote SLAB by using the record of Welsh Labour in Government.

I kid you not.

Just daft - she should live in Wales
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited September 2015
    I currently have it:

Fiorina, buy at 15;
    Rubio, buy at 8;
    Kasich buy at 25s only.

Trump, hold at 7s.
    Bush, hold at 2.75ish

Carson - unsure as bookies have him at 9s where betfair has him at 20s. I think the latter right.

Others effectively sell.

I'm sure others will have strong and different opinions but let's not forget this morning RichardN thought Walker was in with a shout!!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and thank you.

Rule No 1

My condolences, Mr Square Root.

• Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

There should be a gap. The Lib Dems are stone cold dead and Labour is in melt down. I just see no sign that it is helping the Tories much and after the election I look at polls and compare them with actual experience.

I repeat I see no signs and the few local by elections in Scotland in recent times have indicated nothing much happening either.

The Scottish Parliamentary elections should be interesting. I would expect the Tories to pick up a small number of constituency seats, especially in the borders and other areas where the Lib Dems used to be players. But 20%+? I will believe that when I see it.
    The LDs were down to 2% with yougov, so clearly some may have moved out of fear of Corbyn (Scottish LDs are more rightwing than English LDs). The Scottish Parliament elections could certainly be interesting if yougov is correct, given the SNP won 45% on the constituency level and 44% on the list and yougov yesterday had them on 44% and given the SNP's tiny majority
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Oakshott looking shifty on Newsnight - not sure she is fully behind this book. Hope she got paid well.

@jonwalker121: We're not saying it's true, we're just saying it and letting people decide for themselves if it's true.... *scratches head*
  • Options
    Sky News

Scott Walker Dropping White House Bid - Reports
    The Wisconsin governor is reportedly set to become the second Republican candidate to bow out of the 2016 US presidential race.
    22:41, UK,
    Monday 21 September 2015
  • Options
    @MTimT

Dez is out for 8 weeks, Romo for about 8 weeks -

is the Kirk Cousins era dawning in DC? ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Moses_ said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and thank you.

Rule No 1

My condolences, Mr Square Root.

Sorry, Mr Root, I forgot to add condolences.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky News

The Wisconsin governor is reportedly set to become the second Republican candidate to bow out of the 2016 US presidential race.
    Monday 21 September 2015

You could have had it at 9.51PM via pbnews :)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

"I don’t believe in decriminalising drugs that are illegal today. I’m a parent with three children; I don’t want to send out a message that somehow taking these drugs is OK or safe.”

Then just turn a blind eye to his mates doing a few lines while he's around, because he feels a bit awkward. If he gets himself into those sort of positions, perhaps he really isn't fit to be PM.
    He was invited to a party with several high profile figures, not a drugs orgy, it has zero ability concerning his ability to PM and rumours are both Obama and George W Bush managed to become president having had at least a past acquaintance with the white snuff
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

@jonwalker121: We're not saying it's true, we're just saying it and letting people decide for themselves if it's true.... *scratches head*
    That's almost word for word what Stern magazine representatives were saying at one point...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I have learnt the hard way that, in communication, speed can indeed be a virtue.

That conversation could work in other contexts too.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

@MTimT

I still can't believe I actually watched that game last night. And paid for the priviliege. Three times.

How early in the season can you sack the head coach?
  • Options

I currently have it:

Fiorina, buy at 15;
    Rubio, buy at 8;
    Kasich buy at 25s only.

Trump, hold at 7s.
    Bush, hold at 2.75ish

Carson - unsure as bookies have him at 9s where betfair has him at 20s. I think the latter right.

Others effectively sell.

I'm sure others will have strong and different opinions but let's not forget this morning RichardN thought Walker was in with a shout!!

Feeling a little smug that I said he was all but down and out in that same thread.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn't he have security with him all the time? Wouldn't they notice and steer him away? PMs don't really have any privacy, do they, when they are PM?

That was the reason the establishment used to dismiss the allegations against Edward Heath... Impossible for him to do anything without security knowing
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He was invited to a party with several high profile figures, not a drugs orgy, it has zero ability concerning his ability to PM and rumours are both Obama and George W Bush managed to become president having had at least a past acquaintance with the white snuff
    But not actually during their presidency?
  • Options
    Isabel Oakeshott, co-author of book, says she's reporting the pig claim in order to "allow people to make up their own minds". #newsnight @jimwaterston
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I currently have it:

Fiorina, buy at 15;
    Rubio, buy at 8;
    Kasich buy at 25s only.

Trump, hold at 7s.
    Bush, hold at 2.75ish

Others effectively sell.

Feeling a little smug that I said he was all but down and out in that same thread.
    What's the next event on the calendar?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

@MTimT

I still can't believe I actually watched that game last night. And paid for the priviliege. Three times.

Kirk Cousins is not, IMO, a franchise quarterback. But he will do well so long as the Skins have a decent running game and his line can protect him. With time in the pocket, he can be accurate if not spectacular.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Sky News

Monday 21 September 2015

You could have had it at 9.51PM via pbnews :)
    Ha, so much for the scoop!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

First the SNP is not untouched, they won 50% at the election, comres yesterday had them down to 49%, yougov had them down to 44%. Yougov yesterday had SLAB up to 28%.
    As for the Scottish Tories when one poll shows them up it could be an outlier, when two do it suggests a trend.
    I would not worry too much. Especially about Dair - he does come across a bit sour faced at times. I'm not too fussed about Labour - they have had a long run in Scotland to no real effect. The Tories can only offer - well Conservative policies really, so whilst I hope they can propose them sensibly (as they did last May) a big burden still rests with the Scottish electorate. I grant you that (in a nice way really) Scotland is a bit peculiar in what it wants - it is not really clear what it wants I suppose - but the Tories can only do their best to divine what that is. Lets wait and see.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

:0
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Isabel Oakeshott, co-author of book, says she's reporting the pig claim in order to "allow people to make up their own minds". #newsnight @jimwaterston

please, please, please don't sue me...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

@MTimT

It was a dreadful game to watch. Philly had 1 first down in the first half, and that was on a penalty.

My favorite moment was when Troy Aikman (calling the game) said that this was a hard game to watch, and one of the weirdest games he'd ever seen, and in the next breath his co-commentator Joe Buck said "and we welcome in a new audience" from another Fox game that had just finished.

How did you pay three times?

The coach that needs firing looks like Chip Kelly.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

@MTimT

Kirk Cousins is not, IMO, a franchise quarterback. But he will do well so long as the Skins have a decent running game and his line can protect him. With time in the pocket, he can be accurate if not spectacular.
    Apparently he and RG3 are no longer on speaking terms.
  • Options

MTimT said:

I currently have it:

Fiorina, buy at 15;
    Rubio, buy at 8;
    Kasich buy at 25s only.

Trump, hold at 7s.
    Bush, hold at 2.75ish

Others effectively sell.

Next GOP debate 28 October in Colorado
    First Dem debate 13 October in Las Vegas

Next Trump gaffe - tomorrow?
    Next batch of Hillary emails - end of the month.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

:0
    Especially if it's a Dodge Ram ;)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

How did you pay three times?

The coach that needs firing looks like Chip Kelly.

Yes, I was talking about Chip Kelly.

I have NFL gamepass (payed for), but that game was blacked out becuase it was on Sky. I can only watch Sky on my 4" phone (payed for). So I payed to watch it PPV.

And regretted it for 3 straight hours
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nor is brevity a vice.
    "Brevity is the soul of wit" - Polonius.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

I currently have it:

Fiorina, buy at 15;
    Rubio, buy at 8;
    Kasich buy at 25s only.

Trump, hold at 7s.
    Bush, hold at 2.75ish

Others effectively sell.

Next GOP debate 28 October in Colorado
    First Dem debate 13 October in Las Vegas

Next Trump gaffe - tomorrow?
    Next batch of Hillary emails - end of the month.
    Ta muchly.

Would say, Biden, have to be at the Dem debate if he wanted to run, practically speaking?