Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John Bercow’s replacement: Another betting market for mug p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John Bercow’s replacement: Another betting market for mug punters

PaddyPower http://t.co/45A6m1KRSH open market on next Speaker
Bercow is 50yo
What if he stays till he's 70? pic.twitter.com/5uMPs3qmV5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,646
    FPT:

Percentage changes in 2010:

Con: +3.66%
    Lab: -6.47%
    LD: +0.92%
    Others: +1.90%

So even in 2010 the increase in the share of Others was more than half the increase in the Tory share.

I say "even" because UKIP, SNP and PC didn't have a particularly good election in 2010 and it was supposed to be the Tories' big chance for the first time in 20 years. Despite all that the ratio of Tory increase to Others increase wasn't particularly impressive for the Conservatives.

Doesn't bode well for them next time when Others are likely to be a lot stronger in comparison.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Bercow will be reprieved with as much justice as Bairstow.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2013
    Some of those runners may have shuffled off the stage before there's a vacancy.

Speaker Onslow occupied the chair for 33 years...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    RodCrosby said:

Some of those runners may have shuffled of the stage before there's a vacancy.

I replied at the end of the previous thread. Many thanks for the fine summary. I take far more notice of your opinion than certain other over-showy posters.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    (FPT - @ corporeal)

"Take Callaghan vs Thatcher, that's a battle you're seeing very differently through hindsight and based on what happened later than it was at the time."

Perhaps. Callaghan himself conceded a sea change was happening, though, and I think others did too.

It was also pretty clear between Major and Kinnock who was the better man. There is and was no comparison. It may have taken the Sheffield rally for everybody's eyes to have been opened to Kinnock, but opened they were.

Cameron versus Miliband seems to me to be the same, in the sense that it's not even close. It's not Wellington versus Napoleon; it's not Hannibal versus Scipio. It's Yamashita versus Percival.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    You shouldn't knock mug punters. THey sound like a useful source of income (at least on exchanges!)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Quite so, Mr. Crosby. This is a not very tempting betting market, though I hope the smug, self-satisfied Bercow gets his comeuppance sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I've often wondered why the torrent of bad press that Bercow gets seems to be lost on the good people of Buckingham.

It's a mystery.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    No price on Farage ?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    One of the key sets of stats due to be released before the end of the month was published yesterday by HM Treasury.

Public Expenditure Statistic Analyses 2013 (PESA 2013), updates the Coalition Government's public spending outturns and forecasts for this parliamentary term.

A couple of weeks ago I posted the aggregrates for Total Managed Expenditure for 2010-2015 and compared them to Labour's third term between 2005-2010. Those were based on PESA 2013. I have now updated the table.
    Public Sector Aggregates: Total Managed Expenditure             
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Year Nominal Change | Real Change | GDP Ratio Change
    £ bn % | £ bn % | % %
    Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling

2005-06 526.4 ˄ 6.26% | 624.7 ˄ 4.34% | 40.6 ˄ 0.74%
    2006-07 553.0 ˄ 5.05% | 638.1 ˄ 2.15% | 40.4 ˅ (0.49%)
    2007-08 586.6 ˄ 6.08% | 660.2 ˄ 3.46% | 40.5 ˄ 0.25%
    2008-09 634.3 ˄ 8.13% | 694.4 ˄ 5.18% | 44.0 ˄ 8.64%
    2009-10 672.5 ˄ 6.02% | 716.4 ˄ 3.17% | 47.0 ˄ 6.82%
    | |
    2005-10 ˄ 27.75% | ˄ 14.68% | ˄ 15.76%
    George Osborne

2010-11 693.9 ˄ 3.18% | 720.5 ˄ 0.57% | 46.2 ˅ (1.70%)
    2011-12 694.6 ˄ 0.10% | 705.1 ˅ (2.14%) | 45.0 ˅ (2.60%)
    2012-13 675.3 ˅ (2.78%) | 675.3 ˅ (4.23%) | 43.1 ˅ (4.22%)
    2013-14 720.0 ˄ 6.62% | 703.9 ˄ 4.24% | 45.1 ˄ 4.64%
    2014-15 730.4 ˄ 1.44% | 700.7 ˅ (0.45%) | 44.1 ˅ (2.22%)

2010-15 ˄ 5.26% | ˅ (2.75%) | ˅ (4.55%)
    Comments in separate post.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I can hear Clegg's voice saying this - very good mickey take.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10188372/Sketch-Nick-Clegg-socks-machine.html

" This morning Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister, answered listeners' questions on his weekly radio phone-in show on LBC, Call Clegg. For those who missed it, there follows a transcript of the highlights.

Cathy in Welling: Good morning, Mr Clegg. My question to you is, can you explain why the Government has set the benefit cap at £26,000?

Nick Clegg: Good morning, Cathy! The whole motivation behind our welfare reforms, certainly as far as I’m concerned, is to do everything we can to encourage people to stand on their own two feet. That’s not to discriminate against one-legged people – we are of course doing everything we can to encourage one-legged people to stand on their own one foot. And with the elderly and disabled we’re doing everything we can to encourage them to sit on their own two buttocks, or to balance on their own two crutches, or indeed to lie down on their own one back, as the case may be, depending on their particular circumstances. But the point is, this is a Government that will do all it can to help the people of this country stand up, sit down, run on the spot, touch their toes or whatever else they need to do, while very much using their own feet, legs, hands, knees, elbows, heads and other essential body parts. And that, certainly in my view, is the best way to make the system fairer..."
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Comments on PESA 2013 table:

The key points to make are that - contrary to tim's repetitive claims - Total Managed Expenditure (TME) in real terms has been and is forecast to be reduced over the current term in contrast to the 15% increase over the Brown/Darling term.

What has changed from the previous table is that Osborne is planning to slightly ease the rate of spending deceleration over the last two years of the term. In the current year he actually plans to increase spending in real terms by over 4% and only reduce it by just under half a percent next year.

As a result of these changes the overall reduction in real terms expenditure falls from (3.72%) in PESA 2012 to (2.75%) in PESA 2013. TME to GDP ratio is also changed from a 2012 estimate of 42.2% at term end to 44.1% in PESA 2013.

tim will no doubt make far more out of these changes than is warranted but it is of interest that Osborne has managed to get the media focussed on his "£11.5 bn additional spending cuts" just at the same time as he is easing off immediate pressure on expenditure.

Perhaps he is just taking a quick fag break with Lynton Crosby to laugh at us all?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    FPT - re Rod's note about the likelihood of a Labour majority.

I think - broadly, and as we know most people only have a very fleeting interest in politics - that Ed Miliband is in danger of having the 'weak' perception stick.

A bit weak, a bit nerdy, a bit inexperienced-looking and not leadership material is how I see him. And if he doesn't come up with a decent set of policies between now and spring 2015 he will be torn apart (a la Cameron, who himself thought he had a nailed down set of policies prior to GE2010) during the election run-up. And Ed being torn apart with that wide-eyed, stuttery, bullied-kid-at-school look is not going to win many swing votes.

So I think there is a very good chance, given where we are now, that the Conservatives will win the most votes at the next GE, but not a majority (perhaps even not the most seats) and that we could end up needing another GE.

I do think that Labour would be doing far better now with Darling or Johnson or Yvette Cooper in charge.

Now matter how hard I try to imagine it, I just can't see Ed Miliband in charge. He's too weedy. It just ain't happening.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    RodCrosby said:

Some of those runners may have shuffled off the stage before there's a vacancy.

Yes, but in recent decades, the general term of office has been 5-10 years. The memory of removing Martin is also current and may lead to less tolerance of Bercow at, for example, the election of the Speaker after a general election. I doubt Bercow could serve a third of a century even if he wanted to.

That said, I agree it's a mug's market. Prices are largely based on where people are now, not where they'll be in, say, seven years' time, and there are so many possible replacements that identifying possible winners at value prices is nigh-on impossible. It's far from impossible that the next Speaker isn't even listed (yes, you could ask for odds if you pick a candidate but it doesn't make the task any easier).
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    John Rentoul in Independent Voices - Smoke, but no fire: Labour should stop banging on about Lynton Crosby

"A few months ago, we were treated to the unexpected sight of lobbying companies begging the Government to regulate them by law. Now that ministers have obliged, by publishing a Bill, the lobbying companies - sorry, public affairs consultancies - are complaining that the proposed legislation is nothing like stringent enough.

And they have a point. The problem is the definition of who has to go on the compulsory register of lobbyists, and with whom all government contact would have to be disclosed. As the draft Bill stands, the companies who have to go on the register are those whose “main” business is lobbying. Thus it excludes big corporations, who employ their own in-house lobbyists, trade unions and indeed many lobbying companies if they do other things as well.

Hence the embarrassment for the Labour Party, which doesn’t want trade unions to be included on the register, but which now finds that the Government’s definition might not even catch Crosby Textor, the Australian company set up by Lynton Crosby. This matters because Crosby is Labour’s Great Bugbear, the campaign consultant who advises David Cameron and who is credited with magical powers which allegedly won Boris Johnson re-election as London mayor last year."

"As a matter of low politics, this debate is engaging for partisans. Ed Miliband noticed that Cameron’s answer to the Crosby question was that he had “not been lobbied” by the Australian consultant about possible laws to try to make cigarettes less attractive to young people. Since then Labour has pursued the Prime Minister about whether he had “discussions” with Crosby about plain packaging for cigarettes. The technical term for this is a Westminster hoo-ha.

If Miliband were able to see this through the eyes of a normal person he would see two things. One is that the reason for Cameron apparent evasion is probably that he had a conversation with Crosby along the lines of, “Of course we can’t talk about Government policy on cigarettes because of your client list.” The other is that for Labour to bang on about someone whom the median voter thinks might be a folk rock musician suits Cameron down to the ground."
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    On the other hand, betting on Bercow NOT being defenestrated has provided some useful returns..
  • Options
    Speaking of the Speaker, should he be urging the Government to drop its HS2 policy?:
    www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/news/local/bercow-blasts-hs2-environment-study-1-5292890
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,646
    O/T:

Am I the only cricket fan on PB at the moment? If so I'd better shut up about it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2013
    Rentoul misses the point....

The point about Lynton Crosby isn't that he's in league with the cigarette companies or the booze manufacturers it's that keeping him in the news reminds centre and left of centre voters-particularly ex Lib Dems- that the Tories are now embracing as their guru a 'nasty' imported right-winger.

Those Lib Dems and soft left voters who were warming to the Hilton/Cameron team now need to be instructed on what the new ticket looks like. No more hugging huskies or windmills on roofs......

This is now quite a different cast and Labour are doing all in their power to keep the link in the public gaze. It's working for me......
  • Options
    tim said:

@Avery

The Boy in the Bubble

"Designed to get banks to lend more, chancellor George Osborne's Funding for Lending Scheme has failed to actually boost lending. Engineered to boost business lending, it's actually had more of an impact in the mortgage lending sector.

This chart from the Bank of England demonstrates quite how poor the measure has been, and in July the Trends in Lending survey showed a £4.5bn fall in net lending to businesses in the three months to May.

- See more at: http://www.cityam.com/blog/one-chart-shows-failure-osbornes-funding-lending-scheme#sthash.Qrjg9ALh.kyF8XGS7.dpuf

If Osborne is doing such a terrible job of managing the economy why do you think Ed Miliband never brings up the subject PMQs?

I suppose the alternative view might be that you cherry pick the bad news whilst steadfastly ignoring that over all things are improving.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The average term of office since 1900 is 8.8 years, although that includes a 15-year term (FitzRoy, died in office) and a 16-year term (Lowther).

The last Speaker to be formally removed was Manners-Sutton in 1835, after 18 years...

Bercow looks good for another 10-15 years.
  • Options
    Roger said:

This is now quite a different cast and Labour are doing all in their power to keep the link in the public gaze. It's working for me......

Really, Roger? You were going to vote Conservative but this Crosby business is putting you off?

I'll make sure Conservative head office are made aware of this. We can't have our key target voters being put off.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T:

Am I the only cricket fan on PB at the moment? If so I'd better shut up about it.

No you're not. I just think we don't want to jinx this partnership..
  • Options
    OT Polar Bear selfie

http://facts.pm/bear-selfie/
  • Options

On the other hand, betting on Bercow NOT being defenestrated has provided some useful returns..

As a general rule, betting on any exceptional event not happening will return a profit in the long run, though it's still best to judge on a case-by-case basis.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    What has Crosby done to be called a "Nasty right winger" Is he in the Damian McBride league.Does Tim write Rogers posts for him, just as stupid.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

The average term of office since 1900 is 8.8 years, although that includes a 15-year term (FitzRoy, died in office) and a 16-year term (Lowther).

The last Speaker to be formally removed was Manners-Sutton in 1835, after 18 years...

Bercow looks good for another 10-15 years.

Saying that Martin wasn't formally removed is like saying that Thatcher voluntarily resigned as Prime Minister, or that Nixon went of his own free will. Yes, but.

The important thing about Martin's removal in this context is that it legitimised the act. Bercow will almost certainly see out this parliament, he will probably see out the next but I'd be surprised if he did more.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    Andy_JS said:

O/T:

I've vaguely heard of cricket. It's some sort of game, right? Prefer cat videos myself.

• Options
    F1: Young Driver Test ends tomorrow. I'll see about getting the mid-season racing review (and a look ahead to the second half of the season as well as 2014) done over the weekend.
  • Options
    Alex Wickham @WikiGuido
    < 1% RT @tnewtondunn: YouGov have polled for us to find out how many people know who Lynton Crosby is. Any guesses?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

As a general rule, betting on any exceptional event not happening will return a profit in the long run, though it's still best to judge on a case-by-case basis.
    Indeed, but the key thing is the timescale.

Talking of which, Paddy's 1/10 on Osborne still Chancellor at the end of 2013, 1/2 on Clegg still LibDem leader at the GE, the widely available 1/5 on date of election 2015, and Ladbrokes' 2/5 on Osborne still Chancellor at the election, may all be worth considering. Time's Wingèd Chariot has been hurrying on since those odds were first set.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @tim

There is no doubting that a problem exists with credit supply particularly to SMEs.

There are conflicting priorities at work here. UK banks need to increase the capital they hold to protect the taxpayer against having to bail them out again if they suffer catastrophic losses. At the same time the government wants these undercapitalised banks to increase lending and thereby increase their capital cover shortfall.

The intervened banks (Lloyds and RBoS) as well as Santander (Spanish pressure mitiigated by UK ringfencing) are most affected. It is not simply a matter of raising capital (a rights issue would only be a further call on government funds) but of reducing loans which have high capital cover requirements.

Hence, for all the threat of Vince unleashing his nuclear weapon on them if they don't up their lending and for all the BoE pump in 'pass-through' money, these banks' first (and ultimately the government's and taxpayers) priority is to sort their balance sheets out. This means lending will remain constrained until the capital problems have been solved.

Once the balance sheets are robust then the government can return the banks to the private sector and they can raise capital normally from the markets. Lending will no longer be the problem it is today.

You will note from the BoE quarterly Trends in Lending report that the shortfall of £3.5 billion is almost wholly accounted for by Lloyds, RBoS and Santander, Other banks, e.g. Barclays and HSBC are increasing their lending to businesses and are forecasting further increases.

So the lending problem is essentially yet another fall out from the Brown bust and one which is taking time to mend.

It is probable that the BoE and the Treasury will make further extraordinary monetary interventions in the autumn (mortgage book buyouts) and look at other channels through which to distribute funds to SMEs, but there is only a limited window available for special measures.

Time is healing the underlying problems with the banks balance sheets.

Ultimately, tim, this is yet another of the tasks given to Osborne to clear up the mess left behind by Brown. He is making progress slowly but this is understandable given the amount of Brown stuff that he has to shift.

The job Osborne is doing is near-Herculean.

• Options
    edited July 2013

I've vaguely heard of cricket. It's some sort of game, right?

All I know about it is that you're supposed to lay the draw.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Primarolo is standing down at the next GE - would only be worth backing her if Bercow fell under a bus.
  • Options
    F1: Ricciardo manages to be both first and third fastest at the test today.
  • Options
    @AveryLP - Don't forget the other side of the ledger: demand for credit. A lot of companies are still throwing off cash and don't want to borrow more, in fact are repaying debt or are accumulating positive balances. That net lending figure doesn't just relate to companies actively trying to borrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

The important thing about Martin's removal in this context is that it legitimised the act. Bercow will almost certainly see out this parliament, he will probably see out the next but I'd be surprised if he did more.

The point being that longevity in itself has never been a sufficient reason for giving a Speaker the chop.

Bercow, provided he doesn't bring the chair into disrepute, can basically stay as long as he wants, or until he turns up his toes.

So the operative question becomes: how long does he want the job for?

• Options
    The question is. Will Bercow, grow into the job?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

@AveryLP - Don't forget the other side of the ledger: demand for credit. A lot of companies are still throwing off cash and don't want to borrow more, in fact are repaying debt or are accumulating positive balances. That net lending figure doesn't just relate to companies actively trying to borrow.

Agree Richard but Robert S's new character count limit on posts means that all the arguments can't be presented!

Particularly applies to large enterprises who have been accumulating cash reserves and have alternative sources of finance to tap.

It is SMEs who are mainly dependent on the high street retail banks which are finding it difficult to get finance. Risk is an issue affecting both demand and supply but so too is general confidence in the economy.

Still, come this time next year, my predicition is that this will just be another bump in the road successfully negotiated.

tim's ammunition stocks are fast depleting.

• Options
    ISTVR That when he got elected he said he will only serve for 8 years.
    I may have mis remembered though.
    RodCrosby said:

The point being that longevity in itself has never been a sufficient reason for giving a Speaker the chop.

Bercow, provided he doesn't bring the chair into disrepute, can basically stay as long as he wants, or until he turns up his toes.

So the operative question becomes: how long does he want the job for?

• Options
    pinball13pinball13 Posts: 78
    @Fenster By the same token most people won't have noticed the 'Ed is weak' meme. I would guess the main thing he is known for is winning the leadership contest against his brother. Not a universally popular move but not a 'weak' one.
  • Options
    IIRC Yougov asked both if you knew who LC was and what job he held.

Perhaps once again Ed will find himself as part of the 1%.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,679
    pinball13 said:

@Fenster By the same token most people won't have noticed the 'Ed is weak' meme.

Ed Miliband weak leader of his party: 46%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/zinooici1f/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-120713.pdf
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    AveryLP said:

@tim

There is no doubting that a problem exists with credit supply particularly to SMEs.

There are conflicting priorities at work here. UK banks need to increase the capital they hold to protect the taxpayer against having to bail them out again if they suffer catastrophic losses. At the same time the government wants these undercapitalised banks to increase lending and thereby increase their capital cover shortfall.

The intervened banks (Lloyds and RBoS) as well as Santander (Spanish pressure mitiigated by UK ringfencing) are most affected. It is not simply a matter of raising capital (a rights issue would only be a further call on government funds) but of reducing loans which have high capital cover requirements.

Hence, for all the threat of Vince unleashing his nuclear weapon on them if they don't up their lending and for all the BoE pump in 'pass-through' money, these banks' first (and ultimately the government's and taxpayers) priority is to sort their balance sheets out. This means lending will remain constrained until the capital problems have been solved.

Once the balance sheets are robust then the government can return the banks to the private sector and they can raise capital normally from the markets. Lending will no longer be the problem it is today.

You will note from the BoE quarterly Trends in Lending report that the shortfall of £3.5 billion is almost wholly accounted for by Lloyds, RBoS and Santander, Other banks, e.g. Barclays and HSBC are increasing their lending to businesses and are forecasting further increases.

So the lending problem is essentially yet another fall out from the Brown bust and one which is taking time to mend.

It is probable that the BoE and the Treasury will make further extraordinary monetary interventions in the autumn (mortgage book buyouts) and look at other channels through which to distribute funds to SMEs, but there is only a limited window available for special measures.

Time is healing the underlying problems with the banks balance sheets.

Ultimately, tim, this is yet another of the tasks given to Osborne to clear up the mess left behind by Brown. He is making progress slowly but this is understandable given the amount of Brown stuff that he has to shift.

Avery you bring rainclouds to Warwickshire.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @TGOHF

'IIRC Yougov asked both if you knew who LC was and what job he held."

That's the point-they will now and if they don't they certainly will in a years time.

Sometimes the public warm to pantomime villains. I don't think they will with Lynton
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@tim

I am sorry, Mr. Brooke, but it is a necessary intervention to save you from tim's bouncy 'castle'.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 902
    Thanks to Guido - If I want to read more than 20 articles a month in the Telegraph -surprisingly i have already done that this month, either I pay or switch to Private Browsing (incognito on Chrome) - not very bright at the Telegraph.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@TGOHF

'IIRC Yougov asked both if you knew who LC was and what job he held."

That's the point-they will now and if they don't they certainly will in a years time.

Sometimes the public warm to pantomime villains. I don't think they will with Lynton

Do you think it is a good use of Ed's time ?

He should sub contract it to a left wing blogger / back bencher.

Another symptom of having no policies and no vision.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

@tim

I am sorry, Mr. Brooke, but it is a necessary intervention to save you from tim's bouncy 'castle'.

Unnecessary barnacles I'd say.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Thanks to Guido - If I want to read more than 20 articles a month in the Telegraph -surprisingly i have already done that this month, either I pay or switch to Private Browsing (incognito on Chrome) - not very bright at the Telegraph.

Or delete your cookies.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    There's a decent Aussie cricket side in the comms boxes and stands today. I've spotted Ponting, Waugh, Glichrist, Warne, McGrath, Merv Hughes and I'm pretty sure Damien Martyn is there. Anyone for a player swap?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I think we should have more markets on whether the Speaker will survive in his job.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited July 2013
    TIM ...NO INSULTS PLEASE
  • Options
    Test Match Special

Lily Allen and Mervyn King are sitting together watching the cricket.

Tuffnell to Aggers: What are they discussing?

Answers from a post card please,
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

@tim

Unnecessary barnacles I'd say.
    He tells his wife it's sun cream.

• Options
    pinball13pinball13 Posts: 78

pinball13 said:

@Fenster By the same token most people won't have noticed the 'Ed is weak' meme.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/zinooici1f/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-120713.pdf
    I'm not saying the polling is wrong - just that one can't have it both ways regarding most people's interest in politics.

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @HGOHF

'Do you think it is a good use of Ed's time ?
    He should sub contract it to a left wing blogger / back bencher."

I used to wonder whether trips to the Arctic to hug a Husky or to build windmills on his roof or to rent a photographer to snap him on his bike was a good use of Cameron's time or whether the excellent Steve Hilton had got it wrong.....Now I'm sure he didn't.

The image of the Tory Party was significantly changed. The Tories not only became the largest Party but they'd made themselves look sufficiently voter friendly to get the Lib Dems onside.

All Hilton's doing and probably all being trashed by Crosby.
  • Options
    O/T It's a long walk back down the mountain.
    Michael Hutchinson ‏@Doctor_Hutch 28m
    Apparently James Murdoch is now stranded at the top of Alpe d'Huez after his helicopter out was grounded by lightening. #TdF
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2013
    Me too, either that or visions of an Ed Miliband hologram at despatch box at PMQs and no one noticing. :)
    Plato said:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Andy_JS said:

O/T:

Test Cricket - a boring game for boring people!

(only kidding!)
  • Options
    Good to see the spelling police are out in force today.
    The guy made a typo in the original tweet. BFD.
    tim said:

O/T It's a long walk back down the mountain.
    Michael Hutchinson ‏@Doctor_Hutch 28m
    Apparently James Murdoch is now stranded at the top of Alpe d'Huez after his helicopter out was grounded by lightening. #TdF

"grounded by lightening" You mean they threw him out ?
    I thought that was the balloon scenario, although in his case maybe they made an exception
  • Options
    pinball13 said:

pinball13 said:

I'm not saying the polling is wrong - just that one can't have it both ways regarding most people's interest in politics.

'Miliband is weak' is not a Tory smear or meme - its a belief held by nearly half the population.....

• Options
    It could be worse I suppose - such as thinking he's been abducted by aliens... http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2013/07/lib-dems-call-for-ancient-egyptian-curse-on-northampton-borough-council.html

Welcome to the silly season.

The Lib Dems have called for a curse to be placed on Northampton Borough Council. This is due to them deciding that a 4,000-year-old Egyptian statue of Sekhemka, valued at £2 million, should cease to be under municipal ownership sitting in a vault and instead be sold by auction.

It is the Liberal Democrat opposition leader, Cllr Brendan Glynane who declared the council should be cursed.

He said:

“I‘ve read there is a curse attached to Sekhemka and if it should fall on anyone, it should fall on this administration for not having the courage to change their minds.”
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2013
    Condom shortage hits Uganda

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/Officials-raise-concern-over-shortage-of-condoms/-/688334/1918226/-/13s78iqz/-/index.html

This is no laughing matter - on current fertility rates Ugandas population will rise from 34m to 1.2bn by the end of the century.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited July 2013
    t'Economist explains things to those who should be grown-ups:
    THREE years ago the Liberal Democrats demanded a review of Britain’s nuclear weapons system as a condition of joining a coalition government. Their Tory partners were committed to replacing the four Trafalgar-class Trident ballistic missile submarines that have been on patrol since 1994 with a similar system when the current boats reach the end of their operational life, at a cost of about £20 billion ($31 billion). A decision must be taken by 2016. The Lib Dems have now got their review. It does not flatter them.

...Its findings are both entirely predictable and extremely embarrassing for Nick Clegg, the Lib Dems’ leader, and for Danny Alexander, the chief secretary to the Treasury.
    Somehow I dannae see Al-Beeb doing a sit-com about the "Beeker Review".* Thankfully OGH and Mark Senile offer a lower-humour pastiche...

* No doubt ex-socialist MPs are still computing their future luxuary-flats allowance from sad said savings : Bless the Danes...!
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Me too, either that or visions of an Ed Miliband hologram at despatch box at PMQs and no one noticing. :)

Plato said:
    EdM with an H on his head - oh I hope someone Photoshops that one!

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/S/serialzero/1068121069_PicsRimmer.jpg

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23309559

In the previous 18 Tests when Ian Bell has scored a century, England have never lost.
  • Options
    Plato said:

fitalass said:

Plato said:
    EdM with an H on his head - oh I hope someone Photoshops that one!

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/S/serialzero/1068121069_PicsRimmer.jpg

If Ed's anyone on Red Dwarf it's ubergeek Dwayne Dibley

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=dwayne+dibley+red+dwarf
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics
    Jack Straw: How Gordon Brown misused the office of PM by visiting troops during Tory conference http://bit.ly/15LBbZw
  • Options

I thought the idea was to take the helicopter up and ski down, but what do I know?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Therun2016/cygnal GOP Iowa

Marco Rubio 11.4%
    Rand Paul 10.5%
    Paul Ryan 9.3%
    Jeb Bush 8.7%
    Chris Christie 7.7%
    Rick Santorum 6.7%
    Ted Cruz 6.1%
    Scott Walker 2.1%
    Bobby Jindal 1.3%
    Unsure 36.3%
  • Options
    @Pong

"Condom shortage hits Uganda....."

Sounds like a line from Private Eye. Just short of the words 'Tory MP....'

• Options
    "The Lib Dem’s “cheaper” alternative would cost about 45% more than current plans and be far less effective. Moreover, it could almost certainly not be built in time."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The over-riding impression from Labours' Crosby obsession is just how scared they are. Someone commented yesterday that they are imbuing him with an aura of power and magic that he probably doesn't deserve, much as some Tories did with Peter Mandelson last time round.

The funniest bit is Ed's petulance.

"My leadership numbers are so crap because of Lynton Crosby. It's NOT FAIR! (blub)"
  • Options
    Is disarmament by the back door their not so cunning plan?

"The Lib Dem’s “cheaper” alternative would cost about 45% more than current plans and be far less effective. Moreover, it could almost certainly not be built in time."
  • Options
    @Scott-P: Jack Straw on Gordon, after the election that never was:

"It showed both that he was paralysed in terms of decision making, but also this remarkable propensity for double-think and disingenuity which I’d not really understood was a characteristic of his until then.”

I'm sure Jack Straw is telling the truth, but it is staggering nonetheless. They'd been in the Cabinet together for ten years, and working closely together for years before that.
  • Options
    Good God.

Lords is full up with Rogers.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

@Scott-P: Jack Straw on Gordon, after the election that never was:

"It showed both that he was paralysed in terms of decision making, but also this remarkable propensity for double-think and disingenuity which I’d not really understood was a characteristic of his until then.”

I'm sure Jack Straw is telling the truth, but it is staggering nonetheless. They'd been in the Cabinet together for ten years, and working closely together for years before that.

I still remain gobsmacked that Gordon schemed for over a decade and when he got to Number 10 - he didn't have a plan, and he kept telling us to wait for his grand strategy 'setting out his vision for Britain' - and it never arrived.

How anyone can be so ruthless in wanting power, and then having no idea what to do with it is frightening.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    There has to be some H&S rule about being in a 38C classroom with 32 sweaty teens. Anyone?
  • Options
    Carola said:

There has to be some H&S rule about being in a 38C classroom with 32 sweaty teens. Anyone?

I'm sure they manage in tropical countries :)
  • Options

Carola said:

Do they have lots of full-sunned east-facing windows that have been painted shut since 1974?
  • Options
    Len Mc Cluskey..Union Baron..Lynton Crosby..Australian Strategy adviser to the PM...hmmm.
    One buys the LOTO and the other advises the Prime Minister ..strong connection, only in PB leftie world
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

The Tories have sold Britains blood supply to Mitt Romney.
    Hope he doesn't leave it on the roof of his car.

edited - been travelling today and missed the fact that Lazard *finally* got the BPL deal signed. £90m for a loss making business (don't believe the £230m spin)
  • Options
    Carola ..Send them home.. Your problem will soon be sorted.
  • Options
    Historical Pictures @HistoricalPics
    Tour de France rider with some trouble with his bike - Somewhere in the early 1900's pic.twitter.com/cjQ3b9FfLd

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPeLZKHCAAInbtg.jpg:large
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Do they have lots of full-sunned east-facing windows that have been painted shut since 1974?
    That's not paint - that's Pob/Michael Gove in his youth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ITuIMYfz8
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    There are lots of people who want power but have no real idea why they want it. Most current politicians fall into that category. Thatcher is probably the last politician who had - and communicated - a sense of why she wanted to be in charge and what she was going to do when she was in power.

Gordon felt that he had been cheated of the leadership by a younger rival. That was what animated his desire for power: resentment. He could not - or would not - accept that the younger pupil had outrun him in the race.

Psychology is - in politics as elsewhere - often a better guide to what's going on than a look at policies.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Carola That sounds like the plot of an extremely dodgy movie. Were there any plumbers or pizza delivery boys on the premises?
  • Options

Carola ..Send them home.. Your problem will soon be sorted.

I may have to rub some Vick or tiger balm under my nose. Like they do on the telly before doing an autopsy on a decomp.
  • Options
    That Blood supply must be a lot if it can be put on the top of a car .. I know it's getting hot in the UK but purleese, get in the shade.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited July 2013
    OGH - Previous thread, isn't 1979 also an exception to the rule that leader ratings determined election outcome, Callaghan led Thatcher as Wilson led Heath in 1970 as Surbiton mentioned last night. In both elections the poor state of the economy was the decisive factor, thus surpassing the leader ratings. The same was also true in 1945, as Old Labour mentioned, when Attlee beat the more popular Churchill because of the legacy of the 1930s depression. If the economy still has not picked up significantly by 2015 and there is no end to austerity in sight, Ed M will fancy his chances!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Carola That sounds like the plot of an extremely dodgy movie. Were there any plumbers or pizza delivery boys on the premises?

Actually I thought it sounded dodge as I pressed 'post'. That's the paranoid reality of today!
  • Options
    Carola . you are responsible for the kids in the classroom.. if you think it is too hot, send them home . Whinging does not work .. direct action does .Always
  • Options

Carola . you are responsible for the kids in the classroom.. if you think it is too hot, send them home . Whinging does not work .. direct action does .Always

Clearly you're one of the many with a view on education who think that teachers have any say in anything at all in a school ;)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2013
    Tony blair as a topless framed photo of himself in the backdrop when doing this interview.

https://twitter.com/robmanuel/status/354639914454884352/photo/1

What a t***
This discussion has been closed.