Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile a message from Marf

13»

Comments

• Options
    BigRich and Plato re Union funding for Labour
    It is not just the visible 2/3 of Labour donations that come from Unions but also the resources supplied to constituencies and the manpower at election time on the doorstep and in call centres that provide the bulk of canvassing.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Spot the familiar faces...coming soon again to your TV screens...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB_UrZTWgAAg_6p.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Hardly. He was facing Burnham before.

Well, even though Burnham himself is useless, the Labour brand still has credibility on the NHS (for reasons passing understanding)

Enter Diane...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :open_mouth:

Who's the Ben Elton lookalike top-right?
    runnymede said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB_UrZTWgAAg_6p.jpg

• Options
    SeanT said:
    What I draw from the associated photos in that link is that even Gerry Adams looks more prime ministerial than Corbyn. And Liz Kendall needs a makeover even more than Corbyn if she is to make a comeback.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    nice chap - a Green now I think
  • Options
    Hitler used to be laughed at as that funny little man with an odd moustache .. he devastated Eiurope for several decades..Merkel has invited some millions of Muslims into the very heart of Europe, a mainly Christian world.The Muslim religion decrees that non Muslims must be killed..we are about to let millions into the very centre of our Christian world..Once they are fed and warm..with their feet under the table, they will of course assemble in their mosques and begin to take up the mantra again..as planned.. wanna bet....
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    As @rottenborough notes - she was Shad Public Health Minister for a bit under EdM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Abbott#Political_career

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/diane-abbott-sacked-shadow-public-health-minister
    Scott_P said:

Well, even though Burnham himself is useless, the Labour brand still has credibility on the NHS (for reasons passing understanding)

Enter Diane...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Plato said:

Oh YES!

Does that mean she can't be on This Week anymore?

Now she can roll her eyes theatrically elsewhere instead.

Toms said:

SeanT said:
    Noooooooo.
    I can't say that's the reason I have no tv, but it is/was(?) a plus.
  • Options

Hitler used to be laughed at as that funny little man with an odd moustache .. he devastated Eiurope for several decades..Merkel has invited some millions of Muslims into the very heart of Europe, a mainly Christian world.The Muslim religion decrees that non Muslims must be killed..we are about to let millions into the very centre of our Christian world..Once they are fed and warm..with their feet under the table, they will of course assemble in their mosques and begin to take up the mantra again..as planned.. wanna bet....

So Merkel is doing the opposite of suggesting the Germans are a master race and slaughtering millions of untermensch. Yet you still feel the need to bring in Hitler.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:
    What I draw from the associated photos in that link is that even Gerry Adams looks more prime ministerial than Corbyn. And Liz Kendall needs a makeover even more than Corbyn if she is to make a comeback.
    Liz did get the backing of several prominent shodow cabinet members. She is a tough cookie and will get some kudos for putting up a fight for centrist positions. It is rare to get a second chance for leadership, but I think that we have not seen the last of her. She will be back in the shadow cabinet after Corbyn is deposed.
  • Options

A real possibility and I cannot understand how the left cannot see it unless they are in denial - and makes Brexit much more likely in the referendum
  • Options

SeanT said:
    Liz did get the backing of several prominent shodow cabinet members. She is a tough cookie and will get some kudos for putting up a fight for centrist positions. It is rare to get a second chance for leadership, but I think that we have not seen the last of her. She will be back in the shadow cabinet after Corbyn is deposed.
    Good. She came across as inept to me.
  • Options
    Flightpath.. Hitler wrote Mein Kampf..The Koran was taken from the writings and sayings of Mohammed..both masterplans ..work it out for yourself.. and yes I do think it is a disster for Europe.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957

A real possibility and I cannot understand how the left cannot see it unless they are in denial - and makes Brexit much more likely in the referendum
    ... and there is a 50% chance of a muslim, who wants to enshrine anti white ethnic quotas in law, running our capital.

"We must be, mad..."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

It is not just the visible 2/3 of Labour donations that come from Unions but also the resources supplied to constituencies and the manpower at election time on the doorstep and in call centres that provide the bulk of canvassing.

Not true in my patch and others I've heard about - lots of very welcome help with printing leaflets, doorstep not much.

Meanwhile Creasy extends her lead with LabourList readers, apparently doing especially well with Corbyn voters. Atypical or ...?

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/creasy-remains-labourlist-readers-favourite-for-deputy-leader/

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

runnymede said:

Richard Stanton (MP ? ) - He claimed the Brighton bombing was a 'justified political act'.
  • Options
    I quite agree.

Unpicking the cultural issues will be very very hard.

• Options
    Oh, another one for knee-capping then.

Jeez.

Plato said:

runnymede said:

Richard Stanton MP - He claimed the Brighton bombing was a 'justified political act'.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Plato said:

Oh YES!

Does that mean she can't be on This Week anymore?

Now she can roll her eyes theatrically elsewhere instead.

Toms said:

SeanT said:
    Noooooooo.
    I can't say that's the reason I have no tv, but it is/was(?) a plus.
    It does seem very strange. I now realise that Live at the Apollo is an audition for loopy Labour parliamentary candidates
  • Options

SeanT said:
    Good. She came across as inept to me.
    I don't think that she did herself justice, she is very capable.

But PBers may enjoy tonights Leicester Mercury headlines. First we had a "dwarf free" Snow White but now Dopey has been found:

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Dopey-student-s-online-plea-drug-dealer-numbers/story-27768521-detail/story.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    If anyone is in doubt and think the Islamic nutters are playing patacake just watch the news reels today .. 14 years ago when the Nutjobs told the world they were here and deadly serious..
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Incredible scenes from Barcelona on Catalan national day:

https://twitter.com/JuntsPelSi/status/642375748674813952
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    saddened said:

I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

Laugh at the stupidity of Labour, and they are stupid.

Or cry because there isn't likely to be any effective opposition, for some time to come.

Labour, the truly, deeply, stupid party.

Labour: the rancid party. Likely to elect the terrorists' useful idiot as leader. And with another useful idiot as Mayoral candidate.

Khan: friend of the convicted terrorist, Babar Ahmed, and his answers on his relationship with him have been less than transparent.
    Khan: the politician who wants ethnic quotas.
    Khan: the man who thinks that we should adjust our foreign policy to avoid inflaming Pakistani youths.
    Khan: the man who did not want to support efforts to root out Islamists from schools in case it sent the wrong signal to Muslims joining public life. Thus insulting Muslims by assuming that they are all Islamists or following their agenda.
    Khan: the man supported by Livingstone.

What has poor London done to deserve this?

• Options
    Excellent cartoon Marf!

(And glad that "assisted dying" has been rejected by parliament)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    How on earth were so many counts necessary in Leith Walk?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

If anyone is in doubt and think the Islamic nutters are playing patacake just watch the news reels today .. 14 years ago when the Nutjobs told the world they were here and deadly serious..

There was tremendous goodwill towards America after that attack (though the Palestinians celebrating in the street showed warning signs of what was to come). One of the worst features of the Bush and Blair attack on Iraq was that it squandered that goodwill and reversed it. It was the most catastrophic mistake in modern international politics.
  • Options

Not true in my patch and others I've heard about - lots of very welcome help with printing leaflets, doorstep not much.
    Possibly why you lost? The nearest Labour constituency is only retained because of the union troops on the ground.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,786
    Typical comment on LabourList:

"He can win elections. He can make London the Labour Citadel it was under Morrison and under Livingstone. He can bring hope. He can show that a bus driver's son who went to an unfashionable university can become a national figure.

While cowards flinch and traitors sneer, the future has parked its tanks on their lawn."

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/sadiq-khan-won-a-significant-victory-over-the-frontrunner-how-did-he-do-it/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    edited September 2015
    Is corbyn going to go full idiots with his cabinet?

I just cant.... No......
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Mr. NorthWales, and if a volte face is attempted, migrants there will fear being returned, migrants coming will be angry (and in vast numbers), it'll make Merkel, rightly, look stupid, and the rest of the EU will be pissed at Germany.

It was crackers right from the off.

All of us will be really pissed at Merkel when the first atrocity is committed by an IS terrorist who came as part of the migrants.

And it is, I fear, a case of "when" not "if".

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Lewis for Defence rumoured. I'm surprised Team Corbyn needs anyone doing MoD...

And Angela Eagle for Shad CoE via Sky

Also suggested that he'll do PMQs from back benches and rotate the questioners???!! WTF? This is insane enough to be a real idea.
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: Not triumphalist or complacent, but does anyone know of any decent #labourleadership result celebration parties tomorrow?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Typical comment on LabourList:

"He can win elections. He can make London the Labour Citadel it was under Morrison and under Livingstone. He can bring hope. He can show that a bus driver's son who went to an unfashionable university can become a national figure.

While cowards flinch and traitors sneer, the future has parked its tanks on their lawn."

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/sadiq-khan-won-a-significant-victory-over-the-frontrunner-how-did-he-do-it/

In fairness, for all he does have some intense detractors, he's been regarded generally as in with a good shout for years hasn't he? It's not like the unknown extreme of Corbyn expected to completely overturn political reality.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Plato said:

Also suggested that he'll do PMQs from back benches and rotate the questioners???!! WTF? This is insane enough to be a real idea.

Cameron should rotate the answerers then.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sky news
    All 4 candidates for LOTO have ruled out legal challenges regarding result.

Not sure what those who did not a ballot will think of that though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mr. NorthWales, and if a volte face is attempted, migrants there will fear being returned, migrants coming will be angry (and in vast numbers), it'll make Merkel, rightly, look stupid, and the rest of the EU will be pissed at Germany.

It was crackers right from the off.

All of us will be really pissed at Merkel when the first atrocity is committed by an IS terrorist who came as part of the migrants.

And it is, I fear, a case of "when" not "if".

If .01% of Germany's 800,000 are wrong 'uns, that's 80 biding their time...
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky news

Suggests that the result was overwhelming, and they know.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    Even at this early stage, Goldsmith is only slightly behind Khan with Betfair:

Khan 2.06 / 2.18
    Goldsmith 2.26 / 2.3

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107728324
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

PB Tories sounding a lot like Sion Simon this afternoon. Risky business.

Yeah, Whatevs.

There is a small risk Corbyn could become prime minister. Maybe 5%? There is a big risk he will destroy Labour forever, by poisoning the brand. Maybe 20%. There is about a 60% chance he will, at least, plunge the party into vicious turmoil and infighting which might take a decade to work through.

Pretty good odds, if you are a rightwinger. You can see why they might be chortling.
    Yes, but I'm concerned that he will cause absolute mayhem by leading labour ever further left: not much different from a communist party. And in doing so he will give the crackpots and the anti-semites free reign to cause maximum damage. And all this from the leadership of the opposition. Not only that but Fuhrer worship is gaining strength among the Labour Jugend.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    kle4 said:

Ten candidates, so ten stages with nine transfers (of surpluses of winning candidates, and of the votes of losing candidates).
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Sky news

The plan as far as Labour moderates are concerned will be to get rid of Corbyn after two or three years, but if he wins with more than 55% first preferences it'll be very difficult to make it happen.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

kle4 said:

Ten candidates, so ten stages with nine transfers (of surpluses of winning candidates, and of the votes of losing candidates).
    Thanks. I guess I should pay attention
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: Not triumphalist or complacent, but does anyone know of any decent #labourleadership result celebration parties tomorrow?

I thought they were planning one in Trafalgar Square? There's supposed to be an Asylum Seekers' rally at Marble Arch too...
  • Options
    Don't forget we are only talking about the current nutters so far.

When George Galloway and Derek Hatton rejoin Labour there may be some fireworks
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Moses_ said:

Sky news

Jezza's aim is to best Blair's 57% in 1994...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Khan 2.06 / 2.18
    Goldsmith 2.26 / 2.3

How is Tessa Jowell still in the list to back at 25? To take in the possibility of legal challenge? You can lay her at 1000.
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn admits he voted for Britain to leave Europe in 1975 http://t.co/AxRMWTwiXL
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Plato said:

He's genuinely intending to get around the problem of not wanting the job by not actually doing it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This was Sadiq Khan on 14th June 2015:

"After a defeat of this scale, the Labour Party needs to have the widest possible debate. I won't be voting for Jeremy Corbyn and I don't think he can lead us to election victory in 2020. But I do know that across the Labour family many share Jeremy's views on a number of matters - I believe these should be heard and tested in a democratic process. That's why I will be nominating Jeremy, in the hope he makes it onto the ballot."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=960090640710390&id=275283499191111
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Mr Palmer, the stupidest remark made this week will be 'I therefore declare Jeremy Corbyn is elected leader of the Labour party.' The small problem is, it will not be joke. Very far from it.

The question after today will be whether Corbyn wins (in the first round) by a fair margin or a huge one. If he's only just over 50% on first preferences, then a challenge remains possible when he makes his first crass remark (48 hours). If he's nudging 60% on those first preferences, Labour is more comprehensively and royally screwed than one of Messalina's bodyguards.

As for Khan, there is no word to describe the huge size of this mistake. Even if he wins the mayoralty, putting the most sectarian politician in mainland Britain into a position of real power would be the political equivalent of committing suicide by wiring yourself up a 50-megaton nuclear bomb and pressing the switch, thereby obliterating yourself and everything else within a huge radius.

You know that Labour are in for a seriously bad week when the best news they can have is that Tom Watson is about to be made the deputy leader.
  • Options
    Well quite.
    alex. said:

Plato said:

He's genuinely intending to get around the problem of not wanting the job by not actually doing it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

NeilVW said:

kle4 said:

Thanks. I guess I should pay attention
    STV is AV on speed. It's great. :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    And he nominated Andy?
    AndyJS said:

This was Sadiq Khan on 14th June 2015:

"After a defeat of this scale, the Labour Party needs to have the widest possible debate. I won't be voting for Jeremy Corbyn and I don't think he can lead us to election victory in 2020. But I do know that across the Labour family many share Jeremy's views on a number of matters - I believe these should be heard and tested in a democratic process. That's why I will be nominating Jeremy, in the hope he makes it onto the ballot."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=960090640710390&id=275283499191111

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    I am feeling quite depressed.

1)
    If you look at the D telegraph website it says England beat Australia by 7 wickets. (now corrected to 3 wickets)

WTF is going on when idiots write such crap.

2) I tried to book a holiday to the West Indies with a leading holiday firm who profess to have experts to help you..... When I enquired about the West Indies, the girl told me they don't do holidays to the West Indies.. so I said .. so you don't fly to Barbados , St Lucia , Antigua Trinidad, Tobago.. etc etc .. she responded .. Oh yes we do fly to the Caribbean..

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
  • Options
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Mr. K, I'm surprised Farage hasn't been more visible regarding the migrant crisis.

He - Farage - has been making major speeches all over. It's just that it's not being reported on the MSM.
    Farage may think pontificating at the European Parliament is making a major speech but most of the rest of the country does not. He should speak in Parliament if he wants to be broadcast.

Oh wait ...
    In fairness, speeches by those who are elected to Parliament are broadcast all the time, clips at least, but I very rarely ever see footage of a speech from in Parliament.
    In an increasingly digital age Farage and anyone else who is capable of delivering impressive speeches should be able to increase their profile. Daniel Hannan laying into Gordon Brown raised his profile considerably. Same goes for Farage laying into Herman Van Rampuy.

It will not matter if a speech is made in the HoC or in the European Parliament as long as it goes viral.

No doubt Phil T will be along to claim the only speeches that matter are those made in the HoC and appear on the 6 o'clock news.
    Considering I'd already said he should be taking part in interviews in London, no I won't be saying it is only the HoC that matters ...
    He'll be on QT next week and everyone will be saying "He's never off the telly!"
    LOL some might true! Can't speak for everyone but I'm like Morris Dancer surprised we've seen so little of him.
  • Options
    Plato said:

And he nominated Andy?

He nominated Corbyn

And voted for Andy
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

TC Political Betting,

A very good point, and also widely not understood. The trowe value in of the Trade Union Support to the Labour Party is much grater than the head line fingers reported to the Electoral Commotion.

For starters, the Trade Unions reported in there annual reports to the Trade Union Certificate Offices political spending almost 8,000,000 more than they officially gave to the Labour Party. We do not have a brake down of these fingers but I will confidently predict that most was also spent in ways that help Labour politicians get elected.

Then there is the values of having internal publications magazines, emails and so on, sent out regularly to Trade Union members, parsing Labour politicians and critical of all others.

Not to mention all the practical support at election time, borrowed offices and computer equipment that become phone banks or constituency campaign centres.

And the manpower, there are thousands Union reps paid by there employer, normally the government to work full time for the Union, that can be redirected at election time to full time campaigners.

The power of the Union Bosses to tilt the political dial in Labour favour is massive, however the new legislation if successful will only address the official dotation's to the Labour party.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mr Palmer, the stupidest remark made this week will be 'I therefore declare Jeremy Corbyn is elected leader of the Labour party.' The small problem is, it will not be joke. Very far from it.

The question after today will be whether Corbyn wins (in the first round) by a fair margin or a huge one. If he's only just over 50% on first preferences, then a challenge remains possible when he makes his first crass remark (48 hours). If he's nudging 60% on those first preferences, Labour is more comprehensively and royally screwed than one of Messalina's bodyguards.

As for Khan, there is no word to describe the huge size of this mistake. Even if he wins the mayoralty, putting the most sectarian politician in mainland Britain into a position of real power would be the political equivalent of committing suicide by wiring yourself up a 50-megaton nuclear bomb and pressing the switch, thereby obliterating yourself and everything else within a huge radius.

You know that Labour are in for a seriously bad week when the best news they can have is that Tom Watson is about to be made the deputy leader.

If Corbyn wins in the first round, there'll be no challenge because the scale of his victory will look huge, something like 51-22-19-8: a 27% margin and well over double the vote of anyone else. If it drops much into the high forties the election's likely to go to a third round which should pump the non-Corbyn candidate up into the forties in that run-off, which will look a lot closer.

But I still don't expect any kind of challenge unless his final winning margin is single figures, whatever else happens.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ. I'm usually loathe to be one of THOSE people who cry "racism!" about anything, but some of the comments on PB about Sadiq Khan today....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    As I said, I feel sure there will be some interesting video of Mr Kham supporting events running up to the GE.
  • Options
    @marthasydenham: We really should get #JezMassEve trending http://t.co/yQbSN2AfHJ
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

AndyJS said:

Khan 2.06 / 2.18
    Goldsmith 2.26 / 2.3

How is Tessa Jowell still in the list to back at 25? To take in the possibility of legal challenge? You can lay her at 1000.
    You'd have got good odds on Steve Norris in October 1999 (not that this is implying Khan has done anything illegal; just noting that candidates do sometimes step down).
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I am feeling quite depressed.

1)
    If you look at the D telegraph website it says England beat Australia by 7 wickets. (now corrected to 3 wickets)

WTF is going on when idiots write such crap.

2) I tried to book a holiday to the West Indies with a leading holiday firm who profess to have experts to help you..... When I enquired about the West Indies, the girl told me they don't do holidays to the West Indies.. so I said .. so you don't fly to Barbados , St Lucia , Antigua Trinidad, Tobago.. etc etc .. she responded .. Oh yes we do fly to the Caribbean..

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

There are some really obtuse people out there these days. Some of them are deliberately unhelpful, others just ignorant of the most basic facts.
  • Options
    Tim Stanley — "Khan is a good politician. He’s charming, a good speaker etc. But he probably isn’t the choice of ordinary Londoners. One of the reasons why we all thought Jowell was ahead was because pollsters were polling all voters. So when polls put Jowell on 42 per cent and Khan on 21 per cent, they were telling us what general election voters want – not just registered Labour members and supporters. In short: the public probably wanted a moderate. The party has gone for a maverick. And that’s a paradox we might see repeated in the leadership election result."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11858451/Sadiq-Khan-wins-is-Labour-handing-England-over-to-the-Tories.html
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    If Jezza were to win, and make my prediction look silly, there are some who still believe it will turn out less bad than expected. They are dreamers.

They expect a man of sixty six to have an epiphany. To become conciliatory, to embrace compromise and to work with others. To command loyalty and to lead and take others with him. They are not just dreamers, they are as mad as Jezza.

If he wins, then I will quote what William Pitt nearly said ...

“Roll up that electoral map of Great Britain: it will not be wanted these ten years."
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Scott_P said:

I believe that the biggest and best will be held at Conservative Central Office.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

I believe that the biggest and best will be held at Conservative Central Office.

I think the Treasury one will be bigger
  • Options

There was tremendous goodwill towards America after that attack (though the Palestinians celebrating in the street showed warning signs of what was to come). One of the worst features of the Bush and Blair attack on Iraq was that it squandered that goodwill and reversed it. It was the most catastrophic mistake in modern international politics.
    The invasion did in fact unmask Gadafffi's nuclear weapon programme. There is democracy in Iraq, its weak and all the deaths since the invasion were the result of islamic terrorism against other branches of islam. The UK and USA need to be blamed for having no plan for the aftermath of the invasion. I suspect this is the man fact is causing the delay in the Report.

It's a failure to support the uprising in Syria that has given us ISIS.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    "the nearest thing in Parliament to a Greenham Common man..."

"Cor bin-Laden" - Labour Whips' notation.

LOLZ
  • Options
    Foxinsox..The USA had just taken the biggest hit since Pearl Harbour..did you really think that it should not retaliate in case it upset the so called goodwill of the people who cheered when it happened..really...
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

The invasion did in fact unmask Gadafffi's nuclear weapon programme. There is democracy in Iraq, its weak and all the deaths since the invasion were the result of islamic terrorism against other branches of islam. The UK and USA need to be blamed for having no plan for the aftermath of the invasion. I suspect this is the man fact is causing the delay in the Report.

It's a failure to support the uprising in Syria that has given us ISIS.
    Abysmal apologia for utterly indefensible actions.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    CD13 said:

If Jezza were to win, and make my prediction look silly, there are some who still believe it will turn out less bad than expected. They are dreamers.

They expect a man of sixty six to have an epiphany. To become conciliatory, to embrace compromise and to work with others. To command loyalty and to lead and take others with him. They are not just dreamers, they are as mad as Jezza.

If he wins, then I will quote what William Pitt nearly said ...

“Roll up that electoral map of Great Britain: it will not be wanted these ten years."

Who are the Labour equivalents of 'the men in grey suits' that have served the Tories so well over the years? The gender-neutral persons in grey donkey jackets?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Scott_P said:

Disraeli said:

I think the Treasury one will be bigger
    Any guesses for the Sun on Sunday headline? 'Labour gets the Trots' must be high up there...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

dyingswan said:

Labour. Its time to start saying goodbye. Sadly after 109 years of bringing democratic socialism to the High Street we will be closing our business down on Saturday 12 September 2015.The political landscape has changed so much since we started trading. We now find ourselves unable to compete with the pressure from larger companies such as Camerons, Sturgeons and Farages.The economic climate has greatly affected us and we have seen a long term and consistent loss of trade.We remain grateful for the support of our staff and voters over many years.
    We would like to ask you to consider supporting the causes we have had the closest links with - welfare recipients,immigrants, EU and UN. All of those will be grateful for any help offered.
    We are very happy to share our closing down sale bargains with you These include- Things can only get better t shirt 1997 Replica Edstone with pledges 2015 and Mugs inscribed 7 days to save the NHS-any year since 1949.You can still Trot along to our website to purchase them.
    Goodbye Jeremy and Len.

Dear Mr. Swan,

Thanks you for publishing the views of the Labour elite. who, as always, do not seem to even consider why their brand has gone so far out of fashion. There are of course many reasons for this but the one I would like to draw your attention to seems to have had little exposure outside of, perhap, Scotland.

At the end of WW2 there were numerous areas in the UK that could be considered to be failing economically, largely but not exclusively because of historical tides of trade and industry that were running against them. They were shitty places to live and raise a family, most of those areas voted Labour. Seventy years of those areas that still vote Labour are still, on the whole, shitty places to live and raise a family. Labour's political dominance over decades has done sweet feck all. Its almost as if Labour politicians wanted to keep their core voters poor and in shit conditions, no other explanation seems to fit.

So maybe, just maybe, people have started to notice that Labour are not for "people like us".

Love and Kisses

Wandsworth Lad.
    Exhibit A: Detroit. Population 1950 = 1.85 million; 2013 =701,000. During that time it went from one of the most prosperous cities in the US, to bankrupt. Political leadership - GOP dominated until 1962, solely Democrat since.

Sure, some of the problems arose in 1950s, but over 53 years of sole possession of political power, the Dems drove the city into the ground.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Plato said:

As @rottenborough notes - she was Shad Public Health Minister for a bit under EdM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Abbott#Political_career

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/diane-abbott-sacked-shadow-public-health-minister

Scott_P said:

Enter Diane...
    Wasn't Diane Abbott continually winning in the Cabinet Ballot one of the main reasons they got rid of it?
  • Options
    So, todays the day.... Whos got the champers on ice?