Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile a message from Marf

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,174
    John_M said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Unorthodox theory: Labour has been paid a fortune to perform the most elaborate "What's the worst that could happen?" Dr. Pepper advert in history.

It will have to be a redux: they already took Dr Pepper's shilling when they elected Ed Miliband....
    For us oldies, I keep picturing the moment Dear Leader Corbyn is elected...air on a G string plays in the background..Tony Blair lights up a Hamlet...and smiles.
    He should probably strike a match on the Edstone....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015

MikeK said:

isam said:

Despite the voting system, I still think UKIP should withdraw from the mayoralty election. Normal people may not understand and we can't risk Khan making London the New Harare

That won't happen Sam, UKIP must put in an appearance, although I will be voting for Zac myself; unless that is, UKIP comes up with a potential winner. Though I don't see it happening.
    Why not vote UKIP 1 / Con 2?
    To be quite honest, although i'm still a kipper, UKIP has done bugger all to earn my vote since the election. It's as though the party has become paralysed by it's lack of a breakthrough to parliament.

If the party begins to stir and starts to look alive again, I may reconsider.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Kevin McKeever ‏@kevinmckeever 42m42 minutes ago
    In emotional reaction to today's London mayor result easy to forget @SadiqKhan will be the most moderate candidate Labour has run for Mayor
  • Options
    Mr. M, not only oldies who get that.

Hmm. I was going to post a Not The Nine O'Clock News video of Griff Rhys Jones lighting one up after Pamela Stephenson tells him he has lung cancer, but can't find it.

Oh well.
  • Options
    I can't believe it. They are really going to do it...

Madness.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    watford30 said:

saddened said:
    Look at that ugly, angry face.

Nasty man who won't cope with the pressure. At some point he'll lose his temper publicly and in a spectacular way.
    I agree he won't cope with the pressure and that he'll have a temper problem - you see it in his interviews; but Michael Crick deserves to be looked at angrily by everyone.
  • Options
    Mr. K, I'm surprised Farage hasn't been more visible regarding the migrant crisis.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,174
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Despite the voting system, I still think UKIP should withdraw from the mayoralty election. Normal people may not understand and we can't risk Khan making London the New Harare

That won't happen Sam, UKIP must put in an appearance, although I will be voting for Zac myself; unless that is, UKIP comes up with a potential winner. Though I don't see it happening.
    To be quite honest, although i'm still a kipper, UKIP has done bugger all to earn my vote since the election. It's as though the party has become paralysed by it's lack of a breakthrough to parliament.

"It's as though the party has become paralysed by it's Farage's lack of a breakthrough to parliament."

Fixed it for you....
  • Options

Poor Neil Kinnock

to lose your party once may be regarded as a misfortune to lose it twice looks like carelessnes

Well, it's a narrow window he's aiming for: "unelectable but not batshit crazy."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Now that is a brilliant Cartoon.

Even now I can't make myself believe they are that bonkers.

tic toc tic toc...........
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

In emotional reaction to today's London mayor result easy to forget @SadiqKhan will be the most moderate candidate Labour has run for Mayor

Was Dobson left wing?
  • Options
    143-3 after 25 overs. Shaping up to be a tight game
  • Options

Mr. K, I'm surprised Farage hasn't been more visible regarding the migrant crisis.

We should be thankful for small mercies.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Plato said:

The endless circus of rallies with him heading the billing is about to end, I don't think he has a clue what LotO really means.

watford30 said:

saddened said:

Nasty man.
    Indeed. The adoring crowds will soon make way for those more hostile and critical. Then he'll crack.
    His voters will (will want to) take over the Labour party - they will not be bothered about that. I suggest that what is about to break out is civil war. It may in fact already be too late. I mean just look at the available 'talent' that so singularly failed to make their mark in the campaign. Who will be the general to fight Corbyn's Jihad?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

If Farage had done the decent thing, stuck to his word and stood down, UKIP could have fresh impetus right now with Nuttal or Evans as leader. Farage could have stayed on in the background. But he stayed on, both undermining his image as a "politician that sticks to what he says" and making the party seem old and stale.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,869

adrian mcmenamin ‏@adrianmcmenamin 36m36 minutes ago
    @lukeakehurst @hopisen @_IanMoss @DPJHodges Corbyn wins on 1st ballot with 53.8% share - just under 229,000 votes

Huh? That's a very specific prediction - or else....
    Explained as YouGov poll, reweighted for London turnouts - so a calculated figure with a slightly spurious decimal place added.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, indeed.

I wonder if Farage knows that. The only real answer would be to properly resign, though that would prompt immediate mockery (whilst being better in the long-term).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015

He - Farage - has been making major speeches all over. It's just that it's not being reported on the MSM.

Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage Sep 9
    In my speech in the European Parliament earlier, I made clear that we must stop the boats coming http://youtu.be/pH46_PVpqnk

Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 22h22 hours ago
    French media reporting that Police are hunting for Isis terrorist in Calais who intends to come to UK to cause harm. http://dailym.ai/1JWGjO8

Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 6h6 hours ago
    Islamic State have said they will use this tide of humanity across the Med to embed fighters in Europe. They mean it. http://l-bc.co/RWkhNX
  • Options
    Mr. K, I had heard of that particular speech, though it didn't make a huge splash.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

watford30 said:

saddened said:

Nasty man.
    Surely Jezza didn't hit Crick on the head with pamphlet? ;)
    Its the instant rebuttal in the comments that we should note.
    If my reading of lefties like corbyn is right - and he comes across as a classic to me - then its all a question of pressing the right button to watch the inner Mr Angry in him come out and see him self destruct. Softly softly catchee monkee.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    DearPB said:

Danny565 said:

Was Dobson left wing?
    No, he voted for Tony Benn for Labour deputy leader in 1981 but thereafter became disillusioned and chose to align with what he called the "sane left". I guess Dobson is the one Mayoral candidate Labour likes to forget about...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033

Mr. K, I had heard of that particular speech, though it didn't make a huge splash.

44,000 views in 2 days is not bad
  • Options
    MikeK said:

He - Farage - has been making major speeches all over. It's just that it's not being reported on the MSM.
    Farage may think pontificating at the European Parliament is making a major speech but most of the rest of the country does not. He should speak in Parliament if he wants to be broadcast.

Oh wait ...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Danny565 said:

That's like saying Gordon Brown was the most effective Labour leader since Blair..

• Options
    JEO said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

If Farage had done the decent thing, stuck to his word and stood down, UKIP could have fresh impetus right now with Nuttal or Evans as leader. Farage could have stayed on in the background. But he stayed on, both undermining his image as a "politician that sticks to what he says" and making the party seem old and stale.
    Yup. And sadly, the next time he leaves the leadership, it may well be under circumstances where he can no longer wield such influence behind the scenes.

On the other hand, we don't know precisely what went on.
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, I wonder if, at PMQs, Cameron would ask him to deny giving money to someone he thought was an IRA chap on the run from British authorities.

Could be a Lyndon B Johnson moment [I forget the claim, but he made one against an opponent just so the chap had to deny it].
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited September 2015
    Rumblings begin in Germany that Merkel has screwed up the migrant crisis. CSU not happy.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/fluechtlingskrise/seehofer-bezeichnet-merkels-fluechtlingspolitik-als-fehler-13797599.html
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11858320/David-Cameron-Jeremy-Corbyn-is-unfit-to-lead-the-Labour-Party.html
    Mr Cameron said he has watched the Labour leadership election with "some bewilderment" over the past few months.

Regardless of who wins the leadership contest, Mr Cameron said Labour is now a party that has "completely vacated the intellectual playing field".

He said: "It is arguing at the extremes of the debate, simply wedded to more spending, more borrowing, and more taxes.

"They pose a clear threat to the financial security of every family in Britain."
  • Options
    Jonathan Roberts ‏@robertsjonathan Sep 8

Jeremy Corbyn will talk to the IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah, anti semites and holocaust deniers. But he won't talk to the Sun out of 'principle'

sums it up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

MikeK said:

Farage may think pontificating at the European Parliament is making a major speech but most of the rest of the country does not. He should speak in Parliament if he wants to be broadcast.

Oh wait ...
    In fairness, speeches by those who are elected to Parliament are broadcast all the time, clips at least, but I very rarely ever see footage of a speech from in Parliament.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Oh wait ...
    In fairness, speeches by those who are elected to Parliament are broadcast all the time, clips at least, but I very rarely ever see footage of a speech from in Parliament.
    Fair point. Frequently see interviews on the lawns outside Westminster etc, even more rarely from inside the European Parliament. If Farage wants to be broadcast he needs to be conducting interviews in London, not in Brussels.
  • Options

Rumblings begin in Germany that Merkel has screwed up the migrant crisis. CSU not happy.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/fluechtlingskrise/seehofer-bezeichnet-merkels-fluechtlingspolitik-als-fehler-13797599.html

And the rumblings will grow and grow and not just in Germany. Catastrophic decision for everyone including the refugees and migrants who at some time will be denied access to Europe and then who knows what will happen.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, and if a volte face is attempted, migrants there will fear being returned, migrants coming will be angry (and in vast numbers), it'll make Merkel, rightly, look stupid, and the rest of the EU will be pissed at Germany.

It was crackers right from the off.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. NorthWales, and if a volte face is attempted, migrants there will fear being returned, migrants coming will be angry (and in vast numbers), it'll make Merkel, rightly, look stupid, and the rest of the EU will be pissed at Germany.

The sheer numbers of migrants that will come will make mass deportation an impossible task. The German civil service predicts 800,000 will come this year, but that was before arrivals increased 50% after Merkel's announcement, so let's say 1.2 million is a more likely figure.

If we want to deport half of those, that's 600,000 to different places around the world. The D-Day landings entailed moving 160,000 people. Of course, there were tanks and weaponry they had to move too, but it does show the scale of administration will be similar.
  • Options

Absolutely but I can't see a volte face being attempted and suspect the onset of Winter will slow the migration and provide space for a rethink that should follow David Cameron's correct decision to only take genuine refugees (not migrants) from the camps in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey
  • Options

And the rumblings will grow and grow and not just in Germany. Catastrophic decision for everyone including the refugees and migrants who at some time will be denied access to Europe and then who knows what will happen.
    It's a classic case of a law (or decision) hastily made in response to events. She would have done much better to commit Germany to immediate humanitarian work whilst she quickly discussed her plan with other countries.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    JEO said:

The sheer numbers of migrants that will come will make mass deportation an impossible task. The German civil service predicts 800,000 will come this year, but that was before arrivals increased 50% after Merkel's announcement, so let's say 1.2 million is a more likely figure.

If we want to deport half of those, that's 600,000 to different places around the world. The D-Day landings entailed moving 160,000 people. Of course, there were tanks and weaponry they had to move too, but it does show the scale of administration will be similar.
    A more reasonable comparator would be inernstional passenger numbers. FAR alone handled 52 million in 2014, say 26 million in each direction.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Oh wait ...
    In an increasingly digital age Farage and anyone else who is capable of delivering impressive speeches should be able to increase their profile. Daniel Hannan laying into Gordon Brown raised his profile considerably. Same goes for Farage laying into Herman Van Rampuy.

It will not matter if a speech is made in the HoC or in the European Parliament as long as it goes viral.

No doubt Phil T will be along to claim the only speeches that matter are those made in the HoC and appear on the 6 o'clock news.
  • Options

She's acted like a Swedish social democrat on acid. I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

If she was a UK Conservative leader she'd be facing a leadership challenge by now.
  • Options
    Ma Merkel will eventually do more damage to Europe than Adolf..and it will last forever..
  • Options

Ma Merkel will eventually do more damage to Europe than Adolf..and it will last forever..

Hyperbole much?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    JEO said:

A Boeing 747-400 takes up to 345 passengers. On those numbers, and without accounting for escorts, the Germans would need to fill up nearly 1740 flights.

That's simply not going to happen.

• Options
    Mr. Royale, first time I've heard the Germans criticised for not being ruthless enough :p
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    RobD Fortunately I will not be here to see it but the numbers are wrong .. the demographic is wrong.. the religions do not mix..she has just stoked the fires for bloody civil and religious wars
  • Options

RobD Fortunately I will not be here to see it but the numbers are wrong .. the demographic is wrong.. the religions do not mix..she has just stoked the fires for bloody civil and religious wars

Whereas Adolf waged war and exterminated many millions.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JEO said:

A more reasonable comparator would be inernstional passenger numbers. FAR alone handled 52 million in 2014, say 26 million in each direction.
    I do not know what FAR is, but that's not a good comparison as people general handle their own travel arrangements. This would need to be a government administered and executed effort.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

JEO said:

A Boeing 747-400 takes up to 345 passengers. On those numbers, and without accounting for escorts, the Germans would need to fill up nearly 1740 flights.

The 747-400 actually has a maximum
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-400 660 passenger loading.

However, the most passengers a 747 has ever carried on a flight is 1,088. It was 1,086 at take-off, but two were born en route (and I wonder how many were conceived; either on purpose, or by accident with everyone squeezed in) ;)

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-passengers-on-an-aircraft/
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

RobD said:

JEO said:

I do not know what FAR is, but that's not a good comparison as people general handle their own travel arrangements. This would need to be a government administered and executed effort.
    FRA (Frankfurt airport). Apologies for the typo. Yes, I mentioned it for a sense of scale, and given people are typically deported by planes, and not boats, it seemed appropriate.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    The margin of victory for Sadiq Karn is being reported as being large, and over all it is but that's mainly as a result of the registered and affiliated supporters, amongst the full Members it is actually quite slender, less that 1000 votes, 24,983 to 24,019.

Do other PBs think it is possible/likely that Jeremy Corbyn will win the overall vote, but not amongst the Full Members, and if so does that weaken his position?
  • Options

watford30 said:

JEO said:

However, the most passengers a 747 has ever carried on a flight is 1,088. It was 1,086 at take-off, but two were born en route (and I wonder how many were conceived; either on purpose, or by accident with everyone squeezed in) ;)

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-passengers-on-an-aircraft/
    How much would it cost to charter a 747 for 600 flights? :p
  • Options
    It is one thing to fill up and load an aircraft .. quite another thing to round up and force unwilling passengers aboard..where will they take them..who will receive then.. an almost impossible task and one that Merkel will live to regret.. as will most of Europe..apart from sending appalling messages around the world...and it is mainly Merkels fault..
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,665
    Signed up to the Conservatives volunteering team. We have to stop Khan becoming London Mayor. I'll knock doors all the way until May to make sure we avoid that fate.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Hmm not happy are they? And FAZ is hardly a tabloid (!) so I think we can take it a tad of reality is starting to dawn on some Germans that Mutti has really gone off the deep end on this one. This could really go pear shaped for her.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

The margin of victory for Sadiq Karn is being reported as being large, and over all it is but that's mainly as a result of the registered and affiliated supporters, amongst the full Members it is actually quite slender, less that 1000 votes, 24,983 to 24,019.

Do other PBs think it is possible/likely that Jeremy Corbyn will win the overall vote, but not amongst the Full Members, and if so does that weaken his position?

Entirely possible.
  • Options
    Labour. Its time to start saying goodbye. Sadly after 109 years of bringing democratic socialism to the High Street we will be closing our business down on Saturday 12 September 2015.The political landscape has changed so much since we started trading. We now find ourselves unable to compete with the pressure from larger companies such as Camerons, Sturgeons and Farages.The economic climate has greatly affected us and we have seen a long term and consistent loss of trade.We remain grateful for the support of our staff and voters over many years.
    We would like to ask you to consider supporting the causes we have had the closest links with - welfare recipients,immigrants, EU and UN. All of those will be grateful for any help offered.
    We are very happy to share our closing down sale bargains with you These include- Things can only get better t shirt 1997 Replica Edstone with pledges 2015 and Mugs inscribed 7 days to save the NHS-any year since 1949.You can still Trot along to our website to purchase them.
    Goodbye Jeremy and Len.
  • Options
    RobD said:

watford30 said:

JEO said:

How much would it cost to charter a 747 for 600 flights? :p
    More money than I have.

It might be much cheaper to book many cruise liners. Not that I'm necessarily in favour of either of these approaches.

(As an aside, up to the 1990s there were old railway carriages stored in strategic places - the military range at Pigs Bay just to the east of Southend being one) that were allegedly to be used to evacuate London after any unstipulated disaster.)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The highlight of next week will be watching the Labour benches at PMQs. I'm curious to see what Cameron's tactics are: does he go for the kill or toy with the nutjob for a while.

If Corbyn does land a blow will Labour cheer him?

Will Corbyn lead calling for Camerons head over the poor deceased martyrs slotted by drone strike?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Weirdest remark of the week, despite plenty of competition.
  • Options
    RobD yes Adolf did all of that and it was all mainly erased within a decade..but that was an all out war..this could be equally as bad in the long term..
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,665

BigRich said:

Entirely possible.
    I don't think so. Jowell is a lot more popular in London than any of the three ABCs are in the rest of the country. Plus I think Corbyn is more popular than Khan.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

JEO said:

FRA (Frankfurt airport). Apologies for the typo. Yes, I mentioned it for a sense of scale, and given people are typically deported by planes, and not boats, it seemed appropriate.
    So you think it's a likelihood that Germany will deport hundreds of thousands of people?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Signed up to the Conservatives volunteering team. We have to stop Khan becoming London Mayor. I'll knock doors all the way until May to make sure we avoid that fate.

Might join you!

• Options
    We're all PB Tories now!
  • Options
    JEO said:

RobD said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

JEO said:

So you think it's a likelihood that Germany will deport hundreds of thousands of people?
    Nope.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, best of luck thwarting Khan.

Mr. Jessop, indeed (wasn't it ever thus?). Mind you, people like Mr. Observer didn't leave Labour, Labour left him.
  • Options
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

Might join you!

It seems UKIP are a gateway drug for the WWC.

Labour ---> UKIP ---> Tories
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    BigRich said:

EdM was in an analagous position and it certainly weakened him. But that didn't stop him seeing out the full five years.
  • Options
    What will the Greens do in London if Zac is candidate? Former editor of Ecologist, author of green books etc
  • Options

BigRich said:

Entirely possible.
    I doubt Corbyn will win the members vote myself.
  • Options

isam said:

MaxPB said:

Might join you!

It seems UKIP are a gateway drug for the WWC.

Labour ---> UKIP ---> Tories
    I wouldn't go that far!

It's.a.Lon.don.Thing

Managed to turn a 5k green on this cricket into backing the Aussies £17 @750/1
  • Options
    Bravo, Sir. I quite agree re Khan.
    MaxPB said:

• Options
    Looking at the migrant crisis, I think the Security Services all over Europe, must be sat there in utter disbelief at what is unfolding before their eyes. We expect them to keep us safe, yet the front and back door to Europe has been opened with a 'welcome' sign to all and sundry.

We have no idea who/what/where all those single men have come from and I believe we have totally compromised our security for years to come.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Its like the GE all over again, only worse. We cant let UKIP votes give Khan the keys to the Town Hall

#backZac
    Do we know if Zac is not going down the same ethnic quotas route ? You know what the PC metropolitan politicians are like.
  • Options
    *claps*

My condolences.
    dyingswan said:

Labour. Its time to start saying goodbye. Sadly after 109 years of bringing democratic socialism to the High Street we will be closing our business down on Saturday 12 September 2015.The political landscape has changed so much since we started trading. We now find ourselves unable to compete with the pressure from larger companies such as Camerons, Sturgeons and Farages.The economic climate has greatly affected us and we have seen a long term and consistent loss of trade.We remain grateful for the support of our staff and voters over many years.
    We would like to ask you to consider supporting the causes we have had the closest links with - welfare recipients,immigrants, EU and UN. All of those will be grateful for any help offered.
    We are very happy to share our closing down sale bargains with you These include- Things can only get better t shirt 1997 Replica Edstone with pledges 2015 and Mugs inscribed 7 days to save the NHS-any year since 1949.You can still Trot along to our website to purchase them.
    Goodbye Jeremy and Len.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,919
    edited September 2015
    Doddy.....Merkel will do more damage than Adolph......

Nick.....Weirdest remark of the week, despite plenty of competition.

He's completely batty!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,601
    edited September 2015
    A splendid victory for Democratic Socialism!

(EDIT: ooops a day early!)
  • Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Its like the GE all over again, only worse. We cant let UKIP votes give Khan the keys to the Town Hall

#backZac
    Do we know if Zac is not going down the same ethnic quotas route ? You know what the PC metropolitan politicians are like.
    I shouldn't think so!

I like Goldsmith anyway and might have voted for him vs Jowell
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Plato said:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/09/its-not-jeremy-corbyn-thats-going-kill-labour

But raw numbers tell a different story. 10 per cent turnout among affliated trade unionists who were automatically enrolled meant close to 200,000 votes. In the last mayoral selection, close to 24,000 affliate members voted. This time, it was just 9,875. Why does that matter?

Well, among other things, it suggests that if, as looks likely, the Conservatives pass the Trade Union Bill, we now have a clear idea just how many trade unionists will opt-in to paying into Labour's political funds: not very many at all.
    Plato,

That's a very good point, and something that is getting very little media attention. there are over 4,000,000 trade union members of Affiliated trade unions that are currently paying a political levy to the Labour Party! Which is supposedly optional, but needs to be opted out of. of these the unions bosses could only persuade 150,000 to register (for free) to vote in the Labour Party leadership (+ approximately 45,000 who are already full members of the Labour Party in there own right) how may of the other 3,800,000 will they persuade to pay a levy when it becomes opt in? very few I suspect.

According to a leached internal Unite document in 2010 between 30-35% voted Conservative, but at the time only 7% of there members had opted out. the only sensible conclusion is that the test must have been unaware of this option, or found it to complex and bureaucratic to bother opting out, but if the system changes, that's a lot of money that labour will not be getting!
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Oh wait ...
    In an increasingly digital age Farage and anyone else who is capable of delivering impressive speeches should be able to increase their profile. Daniel Hannan laying into Gordon Brown raised his profile considerably. Same goes for Farage laying into Herman Van Rampuy.

It will not matter if a speech is made in the HoC or in the European Parliament as long as it goes viral.

No doubt Phil T will be along to claim the only speeches that matter are those made in the HoC and appear on the 6 o'clock news.
    Considering I'd already said he should be taking part in interviews in London, no I won't be saying it is only the HoC that matters ...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The full breakdown of the results - will be interesting to compare tomorrows result with this:

http://www.labourinlondon.org.uk/just_announced_sadiq_khan_is_the_labour_candidate_for_mayor_of_london_in_2016
  • Options
    Merkel has planted a cancer in the centre of Europe..Now Roger how many of those poor immigrants have to helped out today.. bought them all lunch yet..
  • Options

MP_SE said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Oh wait ...

Considering I'd already said he should be taking part in interviews in London, no I won't be saying it is only the HoC that matters ...
    He'll be on QT next week and everyone will be saying "He's never off the telly!"
  • Options
    Got to say, Ed Miliband must be the best sleeper the Conservatives have ever had.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    PB Tories sounding a lot like Sion Simon this afternoon. Risky business.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    RobD said:

Hyperbole much?
    If the European Union she has presided over is responsible for the rise of National Front in France, Golden Dawn in Greece etc. etc. then maybe not hyperbole.
  • Options
    Merkel has brought a looming disaster to central Europe..it wont be apparent next week but give it a year or so..then tell me if it was a weird remark..but then you smart alec well off lefties know all the answers ..and you be providing another one tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, perhaps.

Still don't know if Corbyn will win.

On the other hand, those on the right (and others) spent five years saying Ed Miliband was crap.
  • Options
    Roger and Nick Palmer .. two grey cells flying in loose formation..
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    dyingswan said:

Goodbye Jeremy and Len.

Dear Mr. Swan,

Thanks you for publishing the views of the Labour elite. who, as always, do not seem to even consider why their brand has gone so far out of fashion. There are of course many reasons for this but the one I would like to draw your attention to seems to have had little exposure outside of, perhap, Scotland.

At the end of WW2 there were numerous areas in the UK that could be considered to be failing economically, largely but not exclusively because of historical tides of trade and industry that were running against them. They were shitty places to live and raise a family, most of those areas voted Labour. Seventy years of those areas that still vote Labour are still, on the whole, shitty places to live and raise a family. Labour's political dominance over decades has done sweet feck all. Its almost as if Labour politicians wanted to keep their core voters poor and in shit conditions, no other explanation seems to fit.

So maybe, just maybe, people have started to notice that Labour are not for "people like us".

Love and Kisses

Wandsworth Lad.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

PB Tories sounding a lot like Sion Simon this afternoon. Risky business.

Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour Corbyn will increase his majority, and in so doing utterly shatter the glass paradigm of cyclical politics which has contained us for the century since 1906. This ought to herald another decade of strong, confident, consensual Labour government. Which will finally and irrevocably transform the nature of politics and civic life in Britain.

That is a frightening responsibility. The young princes who now stride the parade ground with the confidence born of aristocratic schooling can never be afraid. They never have been. Like latter day Pushkins drilled in the elite academy of Brownian blitzkrieg, they are bursting with their sense of destiny. It’s not the Milibands, the Ballses or the Burnhams Ummm Dianne Abbott, Dennis Skinner, who are unconsciously nervous. This is the moment for which they were created. They are ready.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:
    Wasn't she junior public health minister at some point?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:
    Noooooooo.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Fantastic - the shadow cabinet will look like a freak show, worse than Redwood's campaign team in 1995...
  • Options

Dear Mr. Swan,

Thanks you for publishing the views of the Labour elite. who, as always, do not seem to even consider why their brand has gone so far out of fashion. There are of course many reasons for this but the one I would like to draw your attention to seems to have had little exposure outside of, perhap, Scotland.

At the end of WW2 there were numerous areas in the UK that could be considered to be failing economically, largely but not exclusively because of historical tides of trade and industry that were running against them. They were shitty places to live and raise a family, most of those areas voted Labour. Seventy years of those areas that still vote Labour are still, on the whole, shitty places to live and raise a family. Labour's political dominance over decades has done sweet feck all. Its almost as if Labour politicians wanted to keep their core voters poor and in shit conditions, no other explanation seems to fit.

So maybe, just maybe, people have started to notice that Labour are not for "people like us".

Love and Kisses

Wandsworth Lad.

As you will appreciate, Wandsworth in 1978 was one of those areas. 37 years of Conservative Council leadership later, it's one of the best places to live in London, whatever your income.
    Voting Conservative works.
    (PPB over)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:
    Beware blue eyed Northern European nurses

If Khan and Corbyn win, being being black and female would probably make you over qualified to work in the NHS in London
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The best thing Jack Cunningham ever did was during his stint as Minister for Agriculture. He moved/created loads of civil service jobs in his own seat of Workington in the aftermath of the BSE crisis.

Talk about using one's influence... the British Cattle Movement Service lives in a disused factory and a most peculiar place to work. All very New Labour happy clappy with decor that wouldn't look out of place in Google.

dyingswan said:

Goodbye Jeremy and Len.

Dear Mr. Swan,

Love and Kisses

Wandsworth Lad.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:
    Overnight Jeremy Hunt goes from one of the toughest gigs at Westminster to the easiest...
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Fantastic - the shadow cabinet will look like a freak show, worse than Redwood's campaign team in 1995...

Your mention of Redwood shows how sane even tory nutjobs are compared to Labour's.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:
    Overnight Jeremy Hunt goes from one of the toughest gigs at Westminster to the easiest...
    Hardly. He was facing Burnham before.
  • Options
    Oh YES!

Does that mean she can't be on This Week anymore?

Now she can roll her eyes theatrically elsewhere instead.
    Toms said:

SeanT said:
    Noooooooo.