Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Iowa shock for Hillary Clinton as the state’s most accurate

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Iowa shock for Hillary Clinton as the state’s most accurate pollster has her caucus lead down to just 7%

In the next five months we are going to hear an awful lot from Iowa which traditionally, with its caucuses, is the first state to decide on choosing a contender for the White House race.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    This is the link to the Des Moines Register story as it doesn't seem to be linked in the header.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2015
    I have now put a link to the full poll in the header
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Things not looking great for Hillary:

"A Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday found this: “‘Liar’ is the first word that comes to mind more than others in an open-ended question when voters think of Clinton.”

"And 61 percent of respondents say Clinton “is not honest and trustworthy,” a record low for her."

In another report, I read that the FBI has it's A team on the email scandal now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-and-hillary-clinton-private-email-2015-8

To me, the comment that is most damaging in this article is that people think Hillary would be competent as President but can't square that with the impression that she feels she is above the law.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    It seems almost improbable she could fail once again, and it's not like struggling more than expected or even losing some early states would necessarily ruin her, but clearly it's not a good sign for her. With all the money and experience she has, she seems a bizarrely underwhelming candidate.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "If she looks vulnerable..."?
    What do you mean, "if"?
  • Options
    My gut feeling is that Corbyn will get 38% in the first round and narrowly lose in the final round. I have always thought that he won't become leader of the Labour Party, just because the whole idea of him being LOTO (let alone PM) is so horrendous and preposterous as a concept. I'm hoping that the various surveys and opinion polls have been flawed (because it's difficult to define the sample frame) and that there will be a huge differential in turnout between those who purport to be Corbyn supporters and the others.
  • Options
    (Two threads ago)

Pardon my Volapük, but if Jeremy Corbyn is so high and mighty that he doesn't want to be a member of the Privy Council, he will have to fishing well learn that he's got to be one in order for the Constitution to function. If he becomes Leader of the Labour Party (which i don't think he will, but that's a different armadillo) then he should fishing well be appointed to the Privy Council whether he wants it or not, and if he doesn't like it he can go and fish himself. Sometimes tea, sometimes not tea? If he fails to turn up to the meetings of the Privy Council as required, then Her Majesty should send Prince Harry to drag him, kicking and squealing if necessary, into the room to do his duty. Otherwise Prince Philip might have to arrange for him to have an accident, as he did previously with John Smith and Robin Cook.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    Blair seems to miss the point.

Many Corbyn supporters don't see Burnham/Cooper/Kendall as electable, nor do they see much practical difference between Burnham/Cooper/Kendall and the Conservatives.

From that perspective, is there any real reason for those people not to vote for Corbyn, even if he's totally unelectable?

And Blair, even the career politician, laser-focuses on electability and power above all else, ignoring that, for most people, a party in power is not the means to an end in of itself. The best argument that Blair can muster for getting Labour in power is that, essentially, they're the lesser of two evils. Inspiring stuff.

He also ignores his government's, and successive Labour leadership's, role in alienating those on the left of the party. There's a "vast wave of feeling" against the failures of the last Labour government, along with Labour's failure to defend their record, and their willingness to trade away their basic principles at the drop of the hat.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Many Corbyn supporters don't see Burnham/Cooper/Kendall as electable, nor do they see much practical difference between Burnham/Cooper/Kendall and the Conservatives.

From that perspective, is there any real reason for those people not to vote for Corbyn, even if he's totally unelectable?

And Blair, even the career politician, laser-focuses on electability and power above all else, ignoring that, for most people, a party in power is not the means to an end in of itself. The best argument that Blair can muster for getting Labour in power is that, essentially, they're the lesser of two evils. Inspiring stuff.

He also ignores his government's, and successive Labour leadership's, role in alienating those on the left of the party. There's a "vast wave of feeling" against the failures of the last Labour government, along with Labour's failure to defend their record, and their willingness to trade away their basic principles at the drop of the hat.

If Burnham/Cooper/Kendall aren't electable then who is? These are the options on the ballot there is no alternative to them or Corbyn, who is worse than Foot. Besides if neither ends up directly in Downing Street after the next election* there's a mammoth difference between starting the next Parliament with say 275 seats under Cooper or 223 under Corbyn**.

* Remembering it doesn't take much of a swing to make a Labour+SNP coalition viable if Labour can tackle the problems with that option over the next five years.
    ** 223 is what Labour won in 1983 adjusting for only one Scottish seat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It seems almost improbable she could fail once again, and it's not like struggling more than expected or even losing some early states would necessarily ruin her, but clearly it's not a good sign for her. With all the money and experience she has, she seems a bizarrely underwhelming candidate.

My gut feeling is that Hillary will never be President.

Even if she wins the Democratic nomination this time around, which is not guaranteed, then I think she is so damaged and divisive that any half-decent GOP candidate would beat her. If it was Hillary v McCain or Hillary v Romney then McCain/Romney would have won now. So long as its not Hillary v Donald of course, in which case I give up on America.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    The pollsters seem very selective about which non-declared candidates they include.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Oliver_PB said:

If Burnham/Cooper/Kendall aren't electable then who is? These are the options on the ballot there is no alternative to them or Corbyn, who is worse than Foot. Besides if neither ends up directly in Downing Street after the next election* there's a mammoth difference between starting the next Parliament with say 275 seats under Cooper or 223 under Corbyn**.

* Remembering it doesn't take much of a swing to make a Labour+SNP coalition viable if Labour can tackle the problems with that option over the next five years.
    It is not just that Corbyn is unelectable. It is that he is intending to embed changes within the Labour Party that will make the Labour Party unelectable for a long time.

• Options

there's a mammoth difference between starting the next Parliament with say 275 seats under Cooper or 223 under Corbyn**.

Where on Earth do you get that ststistic from? In 1983, Labour got 209 seats. If you adjust for Labour only having 1 in Scotland, it goes down to about 168.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

I'd be mildly amused if the 'inevitable' candidate failed again. But the Americans need to go some way to match the drama of a Labour leadership contest. Occupational fratricide last time, and possible election of a communist in 2015.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @MD

Never underestimate Labour’s ability to do six impossibly stupid things before breakfast.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

there's a mammoth difference between starting the next Parliament with say 275 seats under Cooper or 223 under Corbyn**.

Where on Earth do you get that ststistic from? In 1983, Labour got 209 seats. If you adjust for Labour only having 1 in Scotland, it goes down to about 168.

*BLUSH*

You're 100% right, blame it on being up looking after a 1 year old at 6am while trying to write serious posts. I misread the "last election" line on Wiki (so the '79 results) as the seats won line. Of course that just reinforces my point that there is a long way further down that Labour under Corbyn can go. Corbyn could quite reasonably do worse than Foot, not just as bad as him.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I'm not familiar with the US election scene but I assumed it was like ours but ten years ahead. Is she not playing the gender card for all it's worth? Complaining of sexism at every opportunity? If not, why not?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Even if she wins the Democratic nomination this time around, which is not guaranteed, then I think she is so damaged and divisive that any half-decent GOP candidate would beat her. If it was Hillary v McCain or Hillary v Romney then McCain/Romney would have won now. So long as its not Hillary v Donald of course, in which case I give up on America.
    America will be very worried...

• Options
    Perhaps we should arrange a swap, and see what happens. Hillary Clinton as LOTO, Piers Corbyn as POTUS, and Jeremy Corbyn as the BBC weatherman.
  • Options
    Ulster Unionists to leave the Executive, with the possibility the DUP might follow suit:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34093058
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

@MD

Never underestimate Labour’s ability to do six impossibly stupid things before breakfast.

If this was a mental health case, we would have had a referral to the crisis team for self harm, with evidence of possible suicidal behaviour. Friends and relatives are concerned.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Perhaps we should arrange a swap, and see what happens. Hillary Clinton as LOTO, Piers Corbyn as POTUS, and Jeremy Corbyn as the BBC weatherman.

You have listed JC as the wrong Weatherman methinks....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Loony,

If Labour were to elect Jezza, they should change their name to 'The Monster Raving Labour Party' as clearly, they want to be a protest party only.
  • Options

kle4 said:

America will be very worried...

The GOP is not going to go for Trump, any more than it went for Herman Cain.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

You're 100% right, blame it on being up looking after a 1 year old at 6am while trying to write serious posts. I misread the "last election" line on Wiki (so the '79 results) as the seats won line. Of course that just reinforces my point that there is a long way further down that Labour under Corbyn can go. Corbyn could quite reasonably do worse than Foot, not just as bad as him.
    Don’t think there’ll be an organised split-off party like the SDP in 2020.though. May well be a LD revival, but won’t there still be baggage there for a lot of Labour voters?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    First Corbyn, then Sanders or was it first Sanders, then Corbyn.

Are these parts of an international neo-con plot ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,309
    I seem to remember that it was in the caucuses that Clinton got totally outplayed by Obama 8 years ago. She did much, much better in the primary states but every time there was a caucus Obama gained ground, even in States which had Clinton in the lead. Last time out her organisation just did not seem to come to terms with what was required.

I don't pretend to be an expert but what seemed to be required was genuine and deep enthusiasm, something that would get your supporters to hang around for hours until the counting was done, to get their friends to do the same and to peel off the supporters of the weaker candidates. It may be that Clinton just does not fire people up that much. Given she is the first woman to have a serious crack at the Presidency that seems odd but her centrist tendencies and policies as Secretary of State have maybe lost her the support she once had amongst the sisterhood.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

The fact that Corbyn supporters do not "see much practical difference between Burnham/Cooper/Kendall and the Conservatives" merely demonstrates just how delusional they are. But I suppose that as they believe choosing as leader an anti-capitalist, anti-western, economic illiterate who has spent decades happily sharing platforms with terrorists, anti-semites and other "progressives" will help Labour win an election or, at the very least, will not significantly damage the party's long-term standing, this is hardly a surprise.

Blair's central point is that you cannot buck the real world - whether you are a Corbynite, a Scottish nationalist or an FN supporter in France. As a result, Corbyn will never get Labour close to power in the UK, while if the SNP and FN get what they want they will not be able to deliver what they promise. That seems to me to be pretty inarguable.

• Options

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

Don’t think there’ll be an organised split-off party like the SDP in 2020.though. May well be a LD revival, but won’t there still be baggage there for a lot of Labour voters?

I imagine many pragmatic Labour voters can already see just what a restraining force on the worst Tory instincts the LDs were between 2010 and 2015. That may not yet be turning into electoral support but after a couple of years of Corbyn Labour I would not rule it out. Whether that will transfer into many seat gains is another matter though.
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

The fact that Corbyn supporters do not "see much practical difference between Burnham/Cooper/Kendall and the Conservatives" merely demonstrates just how delusional they are. But I suppose that as they believe choosing as leader an anti-capitalist, anti-western, economic illiterate who has spent decades happily sharing platforms with terrorists, anti-semites and other "progressives" will help Labour win an election or, at the very least, will not significantly damage the party's long-term standing, this is hardly a surprise.

Blair's central point is that you cannot buck the real world - whether you are a Corbynite, a Scottish nationalist or an FN supporter in France. As a result, Corbyn will never get Labour close to power in the UK, while if the SNP and FN get what they want they will not be able to deliver what they promise. That seems to me to be pretty inarguable.

Please explain the point of elections to me, then, (other than betting opportunities of course) if "you cannot buck the real world".

And has this always been true (if so, how did Labour ever get started?) and if not, when, in your judgment, did it become true?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Oliver_PB said:

Define Real World. Sounds subjective.

I suspect Thatcher might have been criticised along similar lines for not accepting the real world of the 1970s.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JohnLoony said:

Correct. Also Labour's percentage share of the vote was about 3% higher than in 1983, slightly more so in England. It was the distribution of the vote that mattered and also the Lib Dem collapse.

If Labour had not lost a single seat in Scotland, the Tories would still have won. Because they won 27 seats from the Lib Dems in England and Wales.

In fact, even the SNP winning 10 Lib Dem seats in Scotland did not make any difference to this equation.

What the 14% in aggregate Lib Dem votes fall did was rewind the tactical votes built up from several general elections. Many of those voters were not Lib Dem to begin with. The party managed to pi** off both tactical Labour supporters as well tactical Tory supporters.

Barring a miracle, Labour cannot win the next election simply due to the distribution of votes. No wonder, the Tories so badly wanted FPTP even when losing from it. No other system gives a majority government on just 37% of the votes.
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

Don't think there'll be an organised split but its possible that some leftwing voters could be tempted by the likes of the Greens or LDs while nationalist style left wing voters could go to a party like UKIP (already been tempted a few times by BNP circa 2009 and UKIP recently, Corbyn could be the final straw for many nationalist WWC voters).

The one saving grace for Labour is that the other parties don't look like they could organise a piss up in a brewery at the moment. But five years is an incredibly long time in politics.
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

I imagine many pragmatic Labour voters can already see just what a restraining force on the worst Tory instincts the LDs were between 2010 and 2015. That may not yet be turning into electoral support but after a couple of years of Corbyn Labour I would not rule it out. Whether that will transfer into many seat gains is another matter though.
    Sentence 1. I think (and hope) you’re right.

Sentence 2. I wouldn’t rule it out either, but not on the scale of 1983. Yet!

Sentence 3. Could do the maths, but .........
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

What evidence do you have that the Lib Dems were a restraining force that has now gone and let the Tories let rip? The biggest policy initiative since the election was the budget and it was more "liberal democrat" than the last Coalition budget with a slow down in the rate of cuts, more protection of existing benefits such as child care, most of the money available being used in cutting the tax of the lower paid, a series of taxes that hit the better off and of course a significant increase in the minimum wage.

For people like me it is like the Coalition has never gone away. And that is a good thing.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

snip...

Barring a miracle, Labour cannot win the next election simply due to the distribution of votes. No wonder, the Tories so badly wanted FPTP even when losing from it. No other system gives a majority government on just 37% of the votes.

You are confused? Or are you conflating the English electorate with the Conservative Party...?

:chill-out-and-chill-on:
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Labour will not be in power until 2025 at the earliest, whoever takes over as leader on 12/9/15. Even if they gained some seats in England in 2020, any coalition or even working arrangement with the SNP, a nationalist party that is an enemy of the UK (unlike any of the Labour leadership contenders), is out of the question.

Therefore, Labour should take this opportunity to have a root and branch rethink about what they stand for, how they are organised and what role they feel England (& Wales) should have in the world. Electing Corbyn will enable this to happen. They should forget about Scotland, which is on its way out of the UK in the medium-term.

I look forward not only to an apology for the Iraq war, but also apologies for the Sykes-Picot agreement and the Balfour declaration, for which the centenary anniversaries will occur in the next 3 years and which have both had such a disastrous impact on the Levant. The West doe not seem to learn, given the disastrous meddling in Syria and Libya in the last 5 years which has led to the swarm of immigration to Europe now.
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

Please explain the point of elections to me, then, (other than betting opportunities of course) if "you cannot buck the real world".

And has this always been true (if so, how did Labour ever get started?) and if not, when, in your judgment, did it become true?

The point of elections from a political party's perspective is to win them. But winning the Labour leadership election should be a step on the path to winning a general election, not an end in itself.

Corbyn is not starting a new party.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

r record, and their willingness to trade away their basic principles at the drop of the hat.

I suspect Thatcher might have been criticised along similar lines for not accepting the real world of the 1970s.
    The real world of the 1970s was clearly broken, which is not the case now. Unemployment has dropped like a stone, inflation is at zero percent, wage inflation is mild but steady, interest rates at 1% on 3 out of 4 measure child poverty has rapidly decreased, general inequality is lower, education standards have risen steadily, the health service is gaining significant increases in expenditure.

Industrial unrest is down, and general contentment with local services (despite cuts in funding) is higher than it was.

Labour and some people might rile about the bedroom tax and the statistically difference between those who die while being defined as fit to work and the general population being identical, but they hoped otherwise,

Nothing is ever perfect, nothing can never not be made better. We have a whole series of issues in different parts of the economy etc. But whatever the problems we have, is Jeremy offering solutions?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited August 2015
    Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

The real world is the one in which we live. The one in which the British electorate will not hand power to a party led by someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with people who - quite rightly - advocate and celebrate the killing of British citizens.

• Options

Oliver_PB said:

The point of elections from a political party's perspective is to win them. But winning the Labour leadership election should be a step on the path to winning a general election, not an end in itself.

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to govern and in government to deliver your manifesto, however great or small its attachment to the "real world".

• Options

Oliver_PB said:

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to govern and in government to deliver your manifesto, however great or small its attachment to the "real world".

No, you govern after you win.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    My reading of the US scene is slightly different to OGH's. People are listening to Sanders (as they are to Corbyn here) and are liking what they are hearing.

They are questioning the accepted status quo and are finding it wanting.

The present political systems will be hoping that, even if Corbyn /Sanders do win, they will be absorbed and consumed into the very systems they are threatening to change. The problem is that the 2 of them have been in the systems for many years, know where the bodies are buried and which strings to pull.

However, returning to the US, Sanders will be too old to be a President. Something that both he and Clinton are probably well aware of, but he would make a good VP. It would be a brilliant counter to a Trump surgency on so many levels. Also I have noticed that neither Clinton or Sanders seem to have been hitting on each other.
  • Options
    notme said:

Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

r record, and their willingness to trade away their basic principles at the drop of the hat.

The real world of the 1970s was clearly broken, which is not the case now. Unemployment has dropped like a stone, inflation is at zero percent, wage inflation is mild but steady, interest rates at 1% on 3 out of 4 measure child poverty has rapidly decreased, general inequality is lower, education standards have risen steadily, the health service is gaining significant increases in expenditure.

Industrial unrest is down, and general contentment with local services (despite cuts in funding) is higher than it was.

Labour and some people might rile about the bedroom tax and the statistically difference between those who die while being defined as fit to work and the general population being identical, but they hoped otherwise,

Nothing is ever perfect, nothing can never not be made better. We have a whole series of issues in different parts of the economy etc. But whatever the problems we have, is Jeremy offering solutions?
    Didn't mean to flag as "off topic" - it clearly isn't. Apologies.

As I've said before, anyone who isn't a Tory is a traitor. Just wait for Conference!

• Options
    daodao said:

The West doe not seem to learn, given the disastrous meddling in Syria and Libya in the last 5 years which has led to the swarm of immigration to Europe now.

Alternatively it was the failure of the west to interfere in Syria sufficiently that has led to the rise of ISIS and consequentially the migration crisis that exists today.

Who knows if we'd tackled ISIS when Obama and Cameron wanted to before Miliband led Parliamentary opposition to it in the way he did we might have nipped ISIS in the bud and prevented this entire crisis. Well done Ed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited August 2015
    DavidL said:

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

What evidence do you have that the Lib Dems were a restraining force that has now gone and let the Tories let rip? The biggest policy initiative since the election was the budget and it was more "liberal democrat" than the last Coalition budget with a slow down in the rate of cuts, more protection of existing benefits such as child care, most of the money available being used in cutting the tax of the lower paid, a series of taxes that hit the better off and of course a significant increase in the minimum wage.

For people like me it is like the Coalition has never gone away. And that is a good thing.

Compare and contrast this year's July spending review with last year's Autumn statement, for example.

EDIT - apologies: got mixed up. Compare and contrast the March and July budgets. If this government is a continuation of the last one, why have another one at all?
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

Read what I wrote. Please. Unless you really believe that campaign promises and manifestoes are just junk after you've got into office. You might believe that, of course, in which case I owe you an apology. You don't believe in representative democracy any more than I do :o

• Options

daodao said:

The West doe not seem to learn, given the disastrous meddling in Syria and Libya in the last 5 years which has led to the swarm of immigration to Europe now.

Alternatively it was the failure of the west to interfere in Syria sufficiently that has led to the rise of ISIS and consequentially the migration crisis that exists today.

Who knows if we'd tackled ISIS when Obama and Cameron wanted to before Miliband led Parliamentary opposition to it in the way he did we might have nipped ISIS in the bud and prevented this entire crisis. Well done Ed.
    IIRC it was Assad Cameron wanted to attack. We’d have been, effectively, supporting ISIS. One could argue, I suppose , that if Assad had gone soon after the war started that there wouldn’t have been an ISIS, but I suspect that the fanatics would have found another excuse.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oliver_PB said:

Labour's failure to defend the record was lamentable. Even until 2008, the debt to GDP ratio was lower than Germany's. The average Budget deficit of the Labour government until 2008 was lower than the previous Tory regime.

It was the post Banking crisis [ which happened all over the developing world ] and 22 out of the 24 OECD countries suffered fall in their GDP's. Surely, Labour was not that influential ! Britain had a deeper and longer recession was mainly because the financial segment of our GDP is bigger and this part suffered the most.

Countries with larger manufacturing sectors came out quicker thanks to China pouring vast sums into its economy and creating huge demand. Britain did rebound eventually and slowly thanks to the fall in sterling in December 2008 and historically low interest rates.

The pound was = to EUR 1.06 in 2008/9 and now close to 1.38 having touched 1.41. The devalued pound and huge amounts of QE helped Britain recover.

The proof how badly hurt the British and other countries' economies were from the banking crisis is that even 7 years later, the central banks cannot increase rates from virtually zero.

And, Labour just said they shared the blame. Why ? Most Labour leaders do not understand economics because frankly they hate it !

It wasn't your fault, stupid !

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

daodao said:

or maybe not.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/30/david-cameron-lacked-balls-to-head-off-the-rise-of-isis-says-former-defence-chief
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

The real world is the one in which we live. The one in which the British electorate will not hand power to a party led by someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with people who - quite rightly - advocate and celebrate the killing of British citizens.

There used to be two types of politician. Radicals/progressives and conservatives Those who had new ideas to create a better world and those who thought you needed to accept the world as is and change it slowly if at all.

Corbyn and Farage (and arguably the SNP) have created a third type. A nostalgic group with no new ideas, but who want to change the world by turning the clock back.

• Options

Oliver_PB said:

Read what I wrote. Please. Unless you really believe that campaign promises and manifestoes are just junk after you've got into office. You might believe that, of course, in which case I owe you an apology. You don't believe in representative democracy any more than I do :o

I did read your original post and the follow-up.

• Options
    OchEye said:

My reading of the US scene is slightly different to OGH's. People are listening to Sanders (as they are to Corbyn here) and are liking what they are hearing.

The present political systems will be hoping that, even if Corbyn /Sanders do win, they will be absorbed and consumed into the very systems they are threatening to change. The problem is that the 2 of them have been in the systems for many years, know where the bodies are buried and which strings to pull.

However, returning to the US, Sanders will be too old to be a President. Something that both he and Clinton are probably well aware of, but he would make a good VP. It would be a brilliant counter to a Trump surgency on so many levels. Also I have noticed that neither Clinton or Sanders seem to have been hitting on each other.

How would Sanders be a good person to have "a heartbeat away from the Presidency"?
  • Options
    King Cole, you're right on wanting to strike the regime in Damascus.

That could either have removed a power which has helped arrest ISIS' spread in Syria, or enabled the democrat rebels to win and establish something approaching a decent regime [although it's worth recalling no side had clean hands in that war].

I believe the vote was some months pre-ISIS.

And we shouldn't pretend Miliband's rejection of action was calculated on military grounds. It was the case both sides wanted to intervene but danced on the head of a pin regarding specifics and ended up doing nothing (after Miliband had privately given the nod that he'd approve Cameron's proposal).
  • Options
    notme said:

Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

Whilst I agree with most of that there are still major problems. Under any normal circumstances a deficit of £80bn would cause an unsustainable boom and inflation. The fact we have neither shows that the underlying economy is still very sick. And the debt pile continues to grow.

We also have a chronic trade/ balance of payments problem. This is partly driven by the stimulus of deficit spending but our assets are increasingly foreign owned with future profits belonging to someone else.

We have an increasing housing problem with house building not keeping up with the increase in population.

Corbyn would undoubtedly aggravate all of these problems except the last one and the way he would address that would also cause problems for the others (as would his views on immigration). The man is simply not relevant to the problems we face.
  • Options

daodao said:

Yes, with ISIS sitting in Damascus right now possibly having started taking over Jordan where amongst the poor it enjoys huge popularity like in most of the Sunni population in the north Arab countries.
  • Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/30/david-cameron-lacked-balls-to-head-off-the-rise-of-isis-says-former-defence-chief
    Former expert claims they were right and everyone else was wrong shocker. That's never happened before.

Cameron did go to Parliament to authorise military strikes after chemical weapons were used in 2013. Ed decided even the use of chemical weapons on the public wasn't sufficient to see the west interfere in Syria - and ISIS rose up in the vacuum.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    surbiton said:

Oliver_PB said:

Labour's failure to defend the record was lamentable. Even until 2008, the debt to GDP ratio was lower than Germany's. The average Budget deficit of the Labour government until 2008 was lower than the previous Tory regime.

It was the post Banking crisis [ which happened all over the developing world ] and 22 out of the 24 OECD countries suffered fall in their GDP's. Surely, Labour was not that influential ! Britain had a deeper and longer recession was mainly because the financial segment of our GDP is bigger and this part suffered the most.

Countries with larger manufacturing sectors came out quicker thanks to China pouring vast sums into its economy and creating huge demand. Britain did rebound eventually and slowly thanks to the fall in sterling in December 2008 and historically low interest rates.

The pound was = to EUR 1.06 in 2008/9 and now close to 1.38 having touched 1.41. The devalued pound and huge amounts of QE helped Britain recover.

The proof how badly hurt the British and other countries' economies were from the banking crisis is that even 7 years later, the central banks cannot increase rates from virtually zero.

And, Labour just said they shared the blame. Why ? Most Labour leaders do not understand economics because frankly they hate it !

The UK had the world's largest financial centre.

Labour were in charge of regulation.

Labour caused the depth of recession by falling asleep on bank regulation and allowing other sectors such as manufacturing to fall off a cliff..
  • Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Former expert claims they were right and everyone else was wrong shocker. That's never happened before.

Cameron did go to Parliament to authorise military strikes after chemical weapons were used in 2013. Ed decided even the use of chemical weapons on the public wasn't sufficient to see the west interfere in Syria - and ISIS rose up in the vacuum.
    PM claims it's all everyone else's fault and there was nothing he could do about it shocker.
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, that's a credible possibility, as is the happier alternative that ISIS would either never have existed or be bottled up in a far smaller area.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Oliver_PB said:

Labour caused the depth of recessionit by falling asleep on bank regulation and allowing other sectors such as manufacturing to fall off a cliff..
    You're one if those people who blame the police when your house gets burgled rather than the burglar.
  • Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Ed led a party that was in opposition. Cameron failed to carry the Commons despite having a substantial majority.

• Options

DavidL said:

JohnLoony said:

*BLUSH*

Compare and contrast this year's July spending review with last year's Autumn statement, for example.

EDIT - apologies: got mixed up. Compare and contrast the March and July budgets. If this government is a continuation of the last one, why have another one at all?
    That is what I did. The detail in the July budget was not in the March but the macro-economic change was a modest slow down in the pace of fiscal consolidation with more, not less, emphasis on protecting the lower paid. Osborne is a centralist, in many ways a Blairite, and does not need Danny hanging over his shoulder to know that is where elections are won.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

daodao said:

Yes, with ISIS sitting in Damascus right now possibly having started taking over Jordan where amongst the poor it enjoys huge popularity like in most of the Sunni population in the north Arab countries.
    Alternately the Assad regime may have collapsed with another fairly secular group taking control. We can never know what is through the doors that remained unopened. Syria was not noted for fundamentalism before IS and much of IS are foreign fighters, with some evidence of friction with indiginous Islamist groups. No one likes being ruled by foreigners.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. Observer, what was the Lib Dem position?

Edited extra bit: quite, Mr. Foxinsox. I remember seeing, early on (before the war really kicked off) a piece with a Christian priest in Syria, who was deeply worried Assad might fall not because he was super, but because Christians had a relatively better lot in Syria under him than they did elsewhere.

On that score, at least, the priest was proved right.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

That could either have removed a power which has helped arrest ISIS' spread in Syria, or enabled the democrat rebels to win and establish something approaching a decent regime [although it's worth recalling no side had clean hands in that war].

And we shouldn't pretend Miliband's rejection of action was calculated on military grounds. It was the case both sides wanted to intervene but danced on the head of a pin regarding specifics and ended up doing nothing (after Miliband had privately given the nod that he'd approve Cameron's proposal).

ISIS did not suddenly come out of nowhere and occupied vast swathes of territory including Mosul, Iraq's second largest city with a population of 1m.

ISIS was always there biding its time. They would have been the largest beneficiary amongst the anti-Assad outfits simply because they were and are the most organised.

The rest could not organise a party in an Orange juice factory ! It is difficult to do so sitting on leather arm chairs in five star hotels !
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

CORRECTION

Blimey what happened there?

The real world is the one in which we live. The one in which the British electorate will - quite rightly - not hand power to a party led by someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with people who advocate and celebrate the killing of British citizens.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

surbiton said:

Oliver_PB said:

Labour caused the depth of recessionit by falling asleep on bank regulation and allowing other sectors such as manufacturing to fall off a cliff..
    You're one if those people who blame the police when your house gets burgled rather than the burglar.
    No, I blame people who leave all their valuables on display, the doors and windows open and who think nothing bad is ever going to happen.

No boom or bust.etc.

This thread just shows our Labourites still can't accept they have any responsibility for the huge mess they left behind.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics that. You reference the OECD but the fact is that Labour were entirely and 100% to blame for the fact that we had the worst deficit in the entire OECD in 2010.

Claiming ludicrously that Labour wasn't running major deficits prior to the crisis is just not true either. Labour was running major deficits at the limits of what is acceptable over the long term from 2002-'07, this was not caused by the events of 07 and 08 unless those events had a Tardis. Pre-2002 Labour's record was indeed better but by 2007 that was history. From 2002-07 there was no economic crisis but major deficits were ran as Labour hubristically believed they had "eliminated boom and bust". Taking pre-crisis figures and comparing them to long-term figures over an entire economic cycle just shows economic ignorance.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. Surbiton, the democratic rebels, now rarely heard of, were in a far stronger position in both absolute and relative terms around the time of the vote. The pre-ISIS lunatics were in a relatively weaker position.

You can't simply write an alternate history and present it as a certainty. We don't know what would've happened.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Observer, that's a nice correction :p
  • Options

Mr. Observer, what was the Lib Dem position?

Edited extra bit: quite, Mr. Foxinsox. I remember seeing, early on (before the war really kicked off) a piece with a Christian priest in Syria, who was deeply worried Assad might fall not because he was super, but because Christians had a relatively better lot in Syria under him than they did elsewhere.

On that score, at least, the priest was proved right.

The same could be said of Saddam too ! Many Iraqi Christians and Jews said so.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

OchEye said:

How would Sanders be a good person to have "a heartbeat away from the Presidency"?
    Which would you prefer, Sanders as President with an unknown VP, or HC as POTUS with Sanders as VPOTUS? Which one, hopefully neither of course, is potentially more likely to be without a heart beat over the course of a 5 or 10 year Presidency. 67 yo HC or 73 yo BS
  • Options
    I see the usual knuckledraggers are blaming the 'financial-sector' for 2008 and ignoring the bloatware that was the public-sector; the underlying cancer eating away at the English economy. Only parasites would continue to fester on such an argument.

The facts are thus: We are slowly reducing our deficit but also addressing the underlying structural-deficit. Yes; things could have been achieved quicker but with social costs (and less migration) that the Coalition was unwilling to bear. And, yet, we are where we are: A 'Tory' government with a fragmented opposition.

Things are far from great but they are better then the mess inherited in 2010. Most people - at least those with more than two brain-cells - accept this. We have accepted mild austerity but created a functioning economy. We should expect a down-turn between now and 2020 but we are in a - slightly - better position than we where two Parliaments ago.

I understand that Labour supporters wish to regain power so as to engineer society in a fashion to which the party thinks (and not as the electorate chooses): It is basic 101 Leninism-Marxism. Shame that they cannot adapt for a new paradigm and build an alternative to a midly successful Conservative administration (not that I would ever likely vote for the upper-middle-class, champagne-socialists [MODERATED]) and promote a positive alternative for the 2020s...!
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, indeed.

Anarchy can be worse than dictatorship.
  • Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Are we not rewriting history ? Did Ed have enough votes do scupper the vote ? After all, Labour only had 268 votes. The coalition commanded 366, if I recall. The Tories alone had 308 votes.

So, it is all Ed's fault !
  • Options
    @DavidL - "That is what I did. The detail in the July budget was not in the March but the macro-economic change was a modest slow down in the pace of fiscal consolidation with more, not less, emphasis on protecting the lower paid. Osborne is a centralist, in many ways a Blairite, and does not need Danny hanging over his shoulder to know that is where elections are won."

He now needs to appease the Tory right, not the LD centre. That's why he is protecting the Tory voter base - pensioners - while squeezing the poorest, who - as we all know - bear the heaviest burden under what is planned.

https://twitter.com/theifs/status/619132389139292160

Osborne has promised everyone a pay rise and a living wage. Had Labour elected anyone but Corbyn those promises may well have come back to haunt him.

• Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Ed led a party that was in opposition. Cameron failed to carry the Commons despite having a substantial majority.

A substantial coalition majority. Though opposition parties are not supposed to play politics and oppose all votes, especially in matters of war and peace. If the decision not to take action after the use of chemical weapons on the public was correct in your eyes then say so, don't just say "well they were in opposition".

The Tories in opposition (rightly or wrongly) accepted the need for invasion in 2003 based on the threat of chemical weapons.
    Labour in opposition rejected the need for military intervention at all (not even invasion) in 2013 based on the actual use of chemical weapons. ISIS filled the vacuum created.
  • Options

daodao said:

or maybe not.

A substantial coalition majority. Though opposition parties are not supposed to play politics and oppose all votes, especially in matters of war and peace. If the decision not to take action after the use of chemical weapons on the public was correct in your eyes then say so, don't just say "well they were in opposition".

The Tories in opposition (rightly or wrongly) accepted the need for invasion in 2003 based on the threat of chemical weapons.
    Labour in opposition rejected the need for military intervention at all (not even invasion) in 2013 based on the actual use of chemical weapons. ISIS filled the vacuum created.

Cameron led a majority government. He lost the vote.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Don't worry, in that case the constitution provides for a new VP !
  • Options
    On Syria and ISIS:

Ed-Mili*****'s greatest success of the last Parliament. How the knuckledraggers are ignoring it now says more about them then his own misguided politics....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,712

Jonathan said:

surbiton said:

Oliver_PB said:

This thread just shows our Labourites still can't accept they have any responsibility for the huge mess they left behind.
    For me the defining moment in the last election was the low moan/sharp intake of breath in one of the televised debates when Ed was asked if he thought Labour had spent too much.

"No"

Then he fell off the stage.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Jonathan said:

Oliver_PB said:

CORRECTION

Blimey what happened there?

The real world is the one in which we live. The one in which the British electorate will - quite rightly - not hand power to a party led by someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with people who advocate and celebrate the killing of British citizens.

Thought that was a bit controversial!
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Ha - your like a record stuck in a groove.
    Richards plan was to train and equip a Syrian rebel army of 100,000 to overthrow Assad. The plans were rejected by the National Security Council as too ambitious. Given our success at things like this elsewhere in the middle east some people might consider that opinion plausible. Even then when the govt proposed supporting the rebels by air strikes we see that parliament refused. They are even going screaming bananas at UK pilots on secondment to the USAF. Thats some of your precious right wing tory MPs who ''did not have the balls'' !

So what chance of them supporting direct boots on the ground?
    Labour LDs and right wing nutjob tory backbenchers let in ISIS. But what do you care Mr Onetrackmind.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,039
    surbiton said:

ISIS did not suddenly come out of nowhere and occupied vast swathes of territory including Mosul, Iraq's second largest city with a population of 1m.

ISIS was always there biding its time. They would have been the largest beneficiary amongst the anti-Assad outfits simply because they were and are the most organised.

The rest could not organise a party in an Orange juice factory ! It is difficult to do so sitting on leather arm chairs in five star hotels !
    The reality is much more complex than that: in the same way that people treat the Kurdish Peshmerga as one homogeneous entity, whilst until this year they were disparate groups in each of the area's countries (e.g. there was a Syrian Peshmerga and an Iraqi Peshmerga with different commands, allied to the PUK and KDP parties). In the same way, groups like the slightly moderate (although that term is relative) al Nusra are routinely forgotten.

People are looking at the situation now and using that as an excuse for Miliband's treachery. The problem is that the situation was very different when the vote was held.
  • Options

daodao said:

IIRC it was Assad Cameron wanted to attack. We’d have been, effectively, supporting ISIS. One could argue, I suppose , that if Assad had gone soon after the war started that there wouldn’t have been an ISIS, but I suspect that the fanatics would have found another excuse.
    Assad who had used chemical weapons on his own people. I would indeed argue that wee'd have been supporting the Syrians. That once we stepped away and said to the Syrians they were on their own even if Assad used chemical weapons on them they turned to the only groups left who could take Assad on - ISIS. They stepped into the vacuum we created.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

@DavidL - "That is what I did. The detail in the July budget was not in the March but the macro-economic change was a modest slow down in the pace of fiscal consolidation with more, not less, emphasis on protecting the lower paid. Osborne is a centralist, in many ways a Blairite, and does not need Danny hanging over his shoulder to know that is where elections are won."

He now needs to appease the Tory right, not the LD centre. That's why he is protecting the Tory voter base - pensioners - while squeezing the poorest, who - as we all know - bear the heaviest burden under what is planned.

Osborne has promised everyone a pay rise and a living wage. Had Labour elected anyone but Corbyn those promises may well have come back to haunt him.

------------------------------------------------------
    In a few years I will be a pensioner too ! But, I can tell you now, this "triple lock" whilst a great vote winner, will destroy this country. It is bloody expensive !

We need more immigrants to pay the taxes to keep feeding these pensioners !
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited August 2015
    Since when do pay-rises/real-wage-growth include bennies? Please direct your answers to the imbecilic Msc History who thinks Bizmarck was wrong to call Germany "MittleEuropa" as his flimsy braincells assess that nation as part of "Western Europe". ;)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

surbiton said:

Oliver_PB said:

From that perspective, is there any real reason for those people not to vote for Corbyn, even if Labour government, along with Labour's failure to defend their record, and their willingness to trade away their basic principles at the drop of the hat.

For me the defining moment in the last election was the low moan/sharp intake of breath in one of the televised debates when Ed was asked if he thought Labour had spent too much.

"No"

Then he fell off the stage.
    And the longer they let it go on the worse it gets despite some of the more sensible Labourites trying to come clean and get it out in the open.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/theifs/status/619132389139292160

The Coalition also protected pensioners with the Lib Dems fully on board. I won't defend it, it is absurd. But tax benefits through pensions for the highly paid were once again restricted in the budget as were BTL benefits which many of that generation gain from. Once again there was, if anything, something of a rebalancing.

Interesting chart but it assumes that there is no change in peoples' behaviour, that those working 16 hours a week for WTC won't chose to work more when it becomes more clearly advantageous to do so, for example.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Are we not rewriting history ? Did Ed have enough votes do scupper the vote ? After all, Labour only had 268 votes. The coalition commanded 366, if I recall. The Tories alone had 308 votes.

And it was a lie. A total, and utter misrepresentation of what Ed Miliband did, and did not do, over the Syria vote. He knows it’s a lie, the shadow cabinet know it’s a lie, Labour MPs know it’s a lie......

......At the same time, Miliband was being warned by a number of senior advisers that he risked a reaction from Labour supporters, in particular, former Lib Dems who had recently switched allegiance.

It was on that basis, and that basis alone, that Ed Miliband decided to vote against the Government. It was not an act of principle. It was not an act of strength. It was an act of political calculation and opportunism born out of political weakness. Stand up to Barack Obama or Vladimir Putin? Ed Miliband wouldn’t stand up to Diane Abbott.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11499438/Ed-Miliband-is-peddling-a-lie-about-his-volte-face-on-Syria.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

------------------------------------------------------
    In a few years I will be a pensioner too ! But, I can tell you now, this "triple lock" whilst a great vote winner, will destroy this country. It is bloody expensive !

We need more immigrants to pay the taxes to keep feeding these pensioners !

No we need greater productivity off our existing workforce.
  • Options

surbiton said:

daodao said:

or maybe not.

And it was a lie. A total, and utter misrepresentation of what Ed Miliband did, and did not do, over the Syria vote. He knows it’s a lie, the shadow cabinet know it’s a lie, Labour MPs know it’s a lie......

......At the same time, Miliband was being warned by a number of senior advisers that he risked a reaction from Labour supporters, in particular, former Lib Dems who had recently switched allegiance.

It was on that basis, and that basis alone, that Ed Miliband decided to vote against the Government. It was not an act of principle. It was not an act of strength. It was an act of political calculation and opportunism born out of political weakness. Stand up to Barack Obama or Vladimir Putin? Ed Miliband wouldn’t stand up to Diane Abbott.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11499438/Ed-Miliband-is-peddling-a-lie-about-his-volte-face-on-Syria.html
    Did all Tories vote with Cameron and did all Lib Dems vote with Clegg ?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2015

surbiton said:

The reality is much more complex than that: in the same way that people treat the Kurdish Peshmerga as one homogeneous entity, whilst until this year they were disparate groups in each of the area's countries (e.g. there was a Syrian Peshmerga and an Iraqi Peshmerga with different commands, allied to the PUK and KDP parties). In the same way, groups like the slightly moderate (although that term is relative) al Nusra are routinely forgotten.

People are looking at the situation now and using that as an excuse for Miliband's treachery. The problem is that the situation was very different when the vote was held.
    Look how different things would have been if Blair hadn't started the Iraq war with Bush, then none of what has happened would have occurred, People would still be killed in large numbers just different peiople, but we had no business getting involved. The WMD nonsense was a pretext.
    In fact look what it would have been like if we hadn't meddled anywhere in the ME or Africa.. .The Whole Middle East is a now mess as a direct result and the migrant crisis is a direct result too..
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

"Migrants" fleeing war and poverty, charging their expensive smart phones. Unreal pic.twitter.com/pnt0NsMJoS

— Kelly (@OkKelly22) August 27, 2015
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    After the last thread, I need some light relief
    Boris Johnson can be a source of irritation to both Cameron and George Osborne, though for different reasons. To the latter, he is, according to one former Number 10 aide, just ‘plain annoying’. Cameron often finds Boris entertaining and funny. But when he gets under his skin, the gloves come off.

One Number 10 insider says: ‘There was a sense in this building that the PM and Chancellor were getting on taking the difficult decisions while Boris, with his crass bumbling, was lapping it all up and loving twisting the knife.’

After Johnson lists in print all the Old Etonians who have gone on to become prime minister, Cameron sends him a text: ‘The next PM will be Miliband if you don’t f****** shut up.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215550/David-Cameron-s-text-Boris-Johnson-PM-Ed-Miliband-don-t-f-shut-up.html#ixzz3kHeZg7vy

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2015

Cameron led a majority government. He lost the vote.
    Indeed and I have as much contempt for the small number of Conservative and Lib Dem rebels as I do for the hundreds of Labour MPs who decided that they'd rather side with Assad's use of chemical weapons on the public.
  • Options

No we need greater productivity off our existing workforce.

And to achieve this we need to employ better managers. Sadly the indigenious lot are a bit mixed: Maybe wwe should look abroad...?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

daodao said:

or maybe not.

Did all Tories vote with Cameron and did all Lib Dems vote with Clegg ?
    We were discussing Ed's role - and his suitability to be PM - a point which is now moot, the British people having decided......
  • Options
    MikeK said:

"Migrants" fleeing war and poverty, charging their expensive smart phones. Unreal pic.twitter.com/pnt0NsMJoS

— Kelly (@OkKelly22) August 27, 2015

What's your point? ISIS doesn't exist since people have phones?